Type keyword(s) to search

The Chase (2021) - General Discussion

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

That was a close one. I really thought they might pull it off. 

I liked the Toy Story cowboy (actually, I thought Temple Grandin when I saw his shirt) until he felt the need to elaborate in the multiple choice round, explaining why he knew each alternate response was incorrect. I like smart people; I dislike showoffs.

I like James, so I was glad to see him. I wonder if Amy Schneider will get an invite one day in the future? (They need a female chaser, regardless.)

• Love 5

Toy Story cowboy guy was pretty smart, but way too deliberate in answering the questions or passing in the final chase. He needed to be faster.

Which is also why not every Jeopardy champ would make a good chaser. Being fast on the buzzer can be different than answering quickly, even before Sara finishes the question.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Toy Story cowboy guy was pretty smart, but way too deliberate in answering the questions or passing in the final chase. He needed to be faster.

Which is also why not every Jeopardy champ would make a good chaser. Being fast on the buzzer can be different than answering quickly, even before Sara finishes the question.

When I started watching the program I created a scoreboard that would be updated throughout the episode. https://twitter.com/j4lambert/status/1437209824295624706/

The first player would have been very useful in the final chase. They could have held on for those final 6 seconds if they had gotten a couple more pushbacks correct.  James gave them every chance with their rather low starting score.  I always assume anything less than 23 is hopeless against James.

• Love 1
On 9/20/2021 at 11:11 AM, Snapdragon said:

I felt that the last question in the last round was BS.  Asking in what movie did Kelly Marie Tran voice the main character would have been fine but saying she voiced Raya in Raya and the Last _____?  Come on.  

I have no idea who KMT is; never heard of "Raya"; and "Raya and the Last...." could end in "Kumquat" and I'd be like, "Oh. Okay." 

(Does it end in "Kumquat"?)

• LOL 2

Well that was a disappointing team in the end. They handed it to the beast. 

He tends to have trouble during the cash builder when they have a lot of American pop culture questions. Which makes sense. Perfect time to take the high offer.

• Love 1

The Beast just got lucky because he seemed to breeze right through his final chase questions. I agree it was disappointing though. That first guy was terrible in the cash builder, and I was aghast he thought the Elizabethan Era took place in the 19th century, but he did well enough in his chase round. The next two were very good and I was really proud of the woman who took the higher offer. But that third guy answered every single question in the final chase, except for one. I don't know if that's what hurt them or if they were better off that way. It always bugs me when someone dominates like that. 

36 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

It always bugs me when someone dominates like that. 

I wondered if that was intentional. As in, the three of them decided that one person would lead the answering and, most crucially, decide when to pass, while the others would just jump in as needed. This could be a real timesaver because, in many games, valuable seconds are lost while the contestants look at each other, nonplussed, before someone finally says “pass”, or blurts out a guess in desperation. If this was their strategy, it seemed to work pretty well.

Or, it was just a team of two shrinking violets and one bully.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The Beast just got lucky because he seemed to breeze right through his final chase questions. I agree it was disappointing though. That first guy was terrible in the cash builder, and I was aghast he thought the Elizabethan Era took place in the 19th century, but he did well enough in his chase round. The next two were very good and I was really proud of the woman who took the higher offer. But that third guy answered every single question in the final chase, except for one. I don't know if that's what hurt them or if they were better off that way. It always bugs me when someone dominates like that. 

Mark was able to defeat the entire team due in part to a penalty that happened after the end of the contestants' turn in the Final Chase. They originally answered 14 questions correctly for a grand total of 17 steps ahead of the Chaser, but the arbitrators ruled that one of those correct answers was actually ruled to be incorrect, reducing the advantage to 16. 

56 minutes ago, j4lambert said:

Mark was able to defeat the entire team due in part to a penalty that happened after the end of the contestants' turn in the Final Chase.

He had about 30 seconds left after he beat the team. I doubt that "one more step" would have made a difference.

• Love 7

Or, it was just a team of two shrinking violets and one bully.

I noticed in the cash builder round, the woman (can't remember her name) took a beat before answering each question. And you don't have to answer as quickly in the chase round. So in the final chase she may have simply been too slow on the buzzer since the guy to her right buzzed in almost immediately for most of the questions. (Moral of the story: women think before they speak; men don't. 🙂  )

23 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I noticed in the cash builder round, the woman (can't remember her name) took a beat before answering each question. And you don't have to answer as quickly in the chase round. So in the final chase she may have simply been too slow on the buzzer since the guy to her right buzzed in almost immediately for most of the questions. (Moral of the story: women think before they speak; men don't. 🙂  )

The woman who was mentioned is T. G. (aka Tiffany). 

I know there are all kinds of laws against it, but man, it sure did look like Ken purposely tanked it at the end to allow them to win. I always feel like the chasers could probably beat any team but they can’t have a show where contestants always lose and walk away with nothing.

I thought the woman in pink was sure acting pretty cocky for someone who only brought $20,000 to the $100,000 bank and then only answered something like 2 or 3 of the last round’s 16 (?) that they got right.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, SHD said:

I know there are all kinds of laws against it, but man, it sure did look like Ken purposely tanked it at the end to allow them to win. I always feel like the chasers could probably beat any team but they can’t have a show where contestants always lose and walk away with nothing.

I can't help thinking that either. His knowledge seems so unlimited sometimes it's hard to believe when he gets something wrong or just passes. Especially after he has breezed through about ten of the questions and there's still a minute and thirty seconds left on the clock. 

The woman who only got two questions right in the cash builder? Pathetic. I don't understand how contestants like that even get on this show. Don't they have to audition or something? I swear sometimes it's like the show just pulls randos off the street. The third woman, however, was impressive and could have gone for the higher offer. 

I like this show, but I long for the day when the gender of the participants is not something that is emphasized.

This is the first time I can remember that ever happening.

• Love 1

Every time one of the chasers doesn't catch the players people bring up that the chaser must have taken a dive. Versus--Jonas brothers and American Idol not being things Ken knows about. Add in five pushbacks and this is what happens. The chasers are human, not infallible trivia gods.

• Love 3

To be fair to Ken, at least on the Kevin Jonas and American Idol questions, I assumed The Voice was the answer (because it feels more relevant currently) and for the life of me, I could not remember Kevin Jonas' first name. I knew Nick and Joe weren't the right ones, but my brain wasn't landing on Kevin, at least not that fast. I knew his name but just blanked. So, I can see how he'd get those two wrong having to answer so quickly.

• Love 2

In order to accommodate the Jeopardy College Championship, a new schedule for the remaining four episodes has been announced.

The next new episode airs on February 2, while 2 new episodes will air back to back on February 9 and 16. This is according to The Futon Critic's website.

• Useful 3
On 1/23/2022 at 3:14 PM, j4lambert said:

In order to accommodate the Jeopardy College Championship, a new schedule for the remaining four episodes has been announced.

The next new episode airs on February 2, while 2 new episodes will air back to back on February 9 and 16. This is according to The Futon Critic's website.

Was the episode on last night a new episode?  

What a great game! Sheldon was even more impressive than The Beast! They should maybe hire him to be a new chaser. Andrea wasn't great in the cash builder but she really pulled her weight in the final chase. Even was good too. They all were. And that final chase was a real nail biter, I thought for sure the Beast was going to catch them.

• Love 7

I burst out laughing when the Lounge Lizards were pretending to be in deep sleep as The Beast droned on with another of his long explanations.

This was an exciting episode and while I usually root for the chaser, I was fine with the three players winning the money. I wish they had gone with the higher amounts though, but hindsight is always 20-20. Sheldon and the other fellow were superior players, I really enjoyed them and was glad for their win.

• Love 7
On 2/3/2022 at 12:09 PM, iMonrey said:

What a great game! Sheldon was even more impressive than The Beast! They should maybe hire him to be a new chaser. Andrea wasn't great in the cash builder but she really pulled her weight in the final chase. Even was good too. They all were. And that final chase was a real nail biter, I thought for sure the Beast was going to catch them.

I agree!  I expected Sheldon to dominate the Final Chase, but they were all equally good.  I would say that Andrea knowing Powhatan probably won the game.  Very exciting!!!

• Love 1

My listing shows 2 episodes Feb 9 (unknown who the chasers are) and 2 episodes Feb 16 (indicating James as the first Chaser and Ken as the second). Don't know why the Feb 9 Chasers aren't listed. 

• Useful 2
On 2/3/2022 at 2:58 PM, PBnJay said:

I wish they had gone with the higher amounts though, but hindsight is always 20-20. 

If I were playing against The Beast, I think I would go for the higher amount. He tends to falter a bit in that first chase round, often providing multiple opportunities for players to beat him to the bottom. With Ken or Brad, I would stick to the money I brought into the round.

With James, I might have to go for the lower offer. When he’s in game mode, he’s kind of scary.

• Love 3

I think Mark also falters on American pop culture sometimes, and if there are a few of those, he doesn't usually do as well. But it's a gamble as to whether there will be Americana or not, and if it will trip him or not.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, dizzyd said:

Have they ever had 3 of the chasers team up against the 4th in any of the 4 permutations? I’d like to see that. 

Probably overkill, since you can only answer so many questions in the given time period, no matter how many smart people you have.

However, for an idea of of what this would look like, James (when he was unknown) and a couple of teammates went up against the Beast in the daytime version that is sometimes repeated on GSN.

I really liked the bearded contestant who got sent home. He was funny and self deprecating and smart. It just didn't work out for him. Brad was nice to the lone woman player. I would have been okay with her getting her money.

Ken was especially funny in the lounge, he made me laugh several times, especially when he said the guy with the multi-striped sweater looked like a seven-layer salad.

Again The Beast can't pull it off. He should have easily beaten the players in the final chase. I know everyone is so impressed with him but he sure hasn't proven his worth on this version of the show.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, PBnJay said:

Again The Beast can't pull it off. He should have easily beaten the players in the final chase. I know everyone is so impressed with him but he sure hasn't proven his worth on this version of the show

He hasn't performed at all like in past seasons. Netflix has 2 previous seasons he was part of. Going by memory, he only lost maybe twice. I think either age (and maybe illness? Wasn't he shaking pretty bad in an older episode?) or the increase in US specific trivia has slowed him down.

Felt bad for the solo woman. The bearded guy tried his best to get that $350k.

I thought the woman in the beast episode was buzzer/skipping happy. Should have been an easy win for him if there weren't so many pushbacks. 

• Love 1

There is something about Brad's face that is just eminently punchable. Hard to believe two fo the three players going against him took the higher offer, especially after one of them only got three questions right in the cash builder! I mean, if you get seven or eight you've at least proved yourself but anything less than five is pretty pathetic and I don't know how you even got on this show. Alexandra did pretty well getting 11 questions right in the final chase but it was a foregone conclusion Brad would beat her.

Then again I was positive The Beast would catch them in the next game with only 16 steps. Usually you need at least 20 to have a chance against him, and the first several questions seemed remarkably easy. But the last 10 really were stumpers. I enjoy the final chases that have some suspense in them.

On 2/10/2022 at 4:33 PM, lynxfx said:

I thought the woman in the beast episode was buzzer/skipping happy. 

It drives me crazy when someone keeps saying “pass”. If you don’t know, just make a wild guess! It might be right! But unless the question is “route through a mountain range”, saying “pass” is not going to help you.

On 2/11/2022 at 10:12 AM, iMonrey said:

There is something about Brad's face that is just eminently punchable. 

Hey! Don’t you talk trash about my game show boyfriend.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

drives me crazy when someone keeps saying “pass”. If you don’t know, just make a wild guess! It might be right! But unless the question is “route through a mountain range”, saying “pass” is not going to help you.

Especially when there are a finite number of possible answers. It is like being asked to give a number between 1 and 10 and passing.

• Love 2

The "Beast" (and I really don't care for the continual use of these made-up nicknames) doesn't really seem as formidable as they present him to be.  Didn't he lose the previous time he was on and now this episode?  Maybe switch him out with Jeopardy Amy?

On 2/13/2022 at 9:20 PM, seacliffsal said:

The "Beast" (and I really don't care for the continual use of these made-up nicknames) doesn't really seem as formidable as they present him to be.  Didn't he lose the previous time he was on and now this episode?  Maybe switch him out with Jeopardy Amy?

He was totally that formidable on the GSN version of the show. He won far more than he lost, and in such a handy fashion that it was truly embarrassing for a lot of contestants. It was a thing of beauty. Well, unless you were the contestants trying to win money.

I do think, though, that he isn't up to that level this season. He kind of worries me. At times, it seems like he has tremors. I hope he is okay.

I don't like the made-up nicknames, either. I don't mind "Beast" as that was what they called him on the GSN version, and it seemed natural. Here, the other nicknames seem so forced. Just 'cause Beastie has a nickname doesn't mean they all need one, Show!

Count me amongst the Brad lovers, and not always totally intellectually.  😉

Edited by Fellaway
  • Love 3

I may be wrong, but I thought all of those nicknames were already in place before the Beast came on. They didn’t use them repeatedly and constantly like they do now, but I thought they were already established from their other appearances.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

I may be wrong, but I thought all of those nicknames were already in place before the Beast came on. They didn’t use them repeatedly and constantly like they do now, but I thought they were already established from their other appearances.

They were in place before he was added to the lineup, but I’d be pretty sure the use of nicknames at all was an attempt to put a spin on Labett’s Beast persona from the daytime version of the show. I never thought it worked for the other chasers.

FWIW, I think the trivia on the ABC version is generally more obscure than the GSN version, also Labett might not be keeping up with recent US pop culture.

• Love 5

Wow, two really good games this week. I was really impressed that Lauren and Eric got all the way up to 21 steps. I think that's the highest we've ever seen a final chase team go (on this version of the show). And it just goes to show you don't need all three in the final chase to get that high. Too bad Brad beat them.

(I don't watch Jeopardy with any regularity so I never saw any of the Chasers during their runs, but I still find Brad to be off-putting. There's just something about his face, it's like it's in a constant smirk.)

What on earth was that pink monstrosity Sarah was wearing during the first game? Were those cherries or just polka dots all over it? And her hair. It looked like she just crawled out of bed.

The second game was also impressive, although Ken seemed off his game. Did he miss every single question against James? 

None of the players embarrassed themselves in the cash builder round. 

Who chooses the higher and lower amounts to offer: the chaser or producers?  Ken offered quite different amounts to two contestants who each had $70,000.

How often does a contestant choose the higher or lower amount of money?

• Love 1
On 2/14/2022 at 8:53 AM, Fellaway said:

He was totally that formidable on the GSN version of the show. He won far more than he lost, and in such a handy fashion that it was truly embarrassing for a lot of contestants. It was a thing of beauty. Well, unless you were the contestants trying to win money.

I do think, though, that he isn't up to that level this season. He kind of worries me. At times, it seems like he has tremors. I hope he is okay.

Yes, he was incredible in the GSN version. It even got a bit boring because you know he'll win most of the time.

So I agree it's shocking and worrying in this version. I hope it's nothing more than getting older and slowing down.

• Love 1