Type keyword(s) to search

The Chase (2021) - General Discussion

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

19 minutes ago, SHD said:

During Buzzy’s final chase questions, I started to think my DVR was freezing. I’ve never seen a chaser just sit and stare so long at so many questions! 

Seriously, right? Even during the third cash builder (is that what it’s called?) round, I was thinking, if I was cynical, I’d think he was trying to prove that the contestant should have taken the highest amount. I guess he was just “off his game” ?

• Like 2
On 1/19/2023 at 1:07 PM, illdoc said:

Buzzy will be the Chaser tonight. Says "Program to be announced" for next week. Hmmm.

Turns out because it's not on. Jimmy Kimmel Live anniversary special in the time slot instead.

• Useful 1
On 1/20/2023 at 10:36 AM, iMonrey said:

Once again, contestants manage to pull off a win with a mere 14 steps! Amazing. I was just as certain as last week they were doomed. I can't believe Buzzy had such a hard time in the final chase, although those questions were pretty hard.

Interesting that now they are specifying the teams gets a choice of Set A or Set B questions. People must have started asking about it. 

I did think the questions were harder than the first group. They were also long and  Buzzy was taking way too long answering 

• Like 1

Victoria finally lost! Hallelujah! And against only one contestant with only 14 steps. The cynic in me wants to say she threw it, but she looked really pissed when she missed a question, so if she did throw it she's a pretty good actor. I actually groaned when I saw she was going to be the Chaser again, she was already the Chaser a couple episodes ago and it seems like a foregone conclusion she always wins.

I continue to be annoyed by James and Brad wanting the contestant to take the high offer even when they only get ONE ANSWER in the cash builder. In what world does that make sense? If you only get one in the cash builder how good at this can you be? I don't even understand how someone like that got onto the show. And yet she went for it. It seems so counter-intuitive. I know $40 was a joke of an offer but if she'd taken it she might have wound up in the Final Chase and won a share of the grand prize.

I noticed that both times when Jenny and Shane were about to be caught, Sarah reminded them (and us) that if they missed the question they'd be out of the game. But she didn't do that in previous questions where they were one step behind the Chaser and were right. It made me wonder if a producer signals her offstage that they answered wrong.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I continue to be annoyed by James and Brad wanting the contestant to take the high offer even when they only get ONE ANSWER in the cash builder. In what world does that make sense? If you only get one in the cash builder how good at this can you be? I don't even understand how someone like that got onto the show. And yet she went for it. It seems so counter-intuitive. I know $40 was a joke of an offer but if she'd taken it she might have wound up in the Final Chase and won a share of the grand prize.

Yeah, if I was on and only got one in the cash builder but my fellow team members did pretty well, it would be pretty tempting to take the LOW offer, give myself the best chance of ending up in the final, and then just reap the rewards of my smarter team members. But I suppose anyone who puts themselves out there on TV as being good at trivia probably wants to prove that they are!

• Like 2
On 2/3/2023 at 11:03 AM, iMonrey said:

Victoria finally lost! Hallelujah! And against only one contestant with only 14 steps. The cynic in me wants to say she threw it, but she looked really pissed when she missed a question, so if she did throw it she's a pretty good actor. I actually groaned when I saw she was going to be the Chaser again, she was already the Chaser a couple episodes ago and it seems like a foregone conclusion she always wins.

I noticed that both times when Jenny and Shane were about to be caught, Sarah reminded them (and us) that if they missed the question they'd be out of the game. But she didn't do that in previous questions where they were one step behind the Chaser and were right. It made me wonder if a producer signals her offstage that they answered wrong.

I noticed that too and figured she must get signaled or know the answers.

i don’t think anyone has ever taken the low offer? But that would have been hilarious if she had and actually made the final.  But then would have felt bad that she would get 30k of that guy’s money. 

Shouty McShouterson was a bit intense, but I’m glad he pulled off the solo win. I believe he came out better, financially, than if either of the other contestants had been there diluting his pot. And he gets to brag about defeating Victoria in a one-on-one contest. Not too shabby. I bet he shouts it from the rooftops.

• Like 4

That was disappointing. I could kind of tell the contestants were going to lose because there seemed to be an awful lot of chit-chat filler. 

I guess I know why the Chasers in the Lounge are rooting so hard for the players to take the high offer. They want them to lose. There's no logic in the world that says someone who only got three questions in the cash builder is good enough to risk going for the high offer.

And then Brandon goes "This is the greatest team I've ever seen!" Really? They all lost. Oh, they're great because they all took the high offer. But they also all lost. That's not so great in my book.

They also should have sent Julissa back instead of Chuck. He missed some really easy questions, like the cartoon chipmunk that has an "A" on its sweater. Or what "OOP" means for a book. Jeepers.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 2
On 2/10/2023 at 9:01 PM, iMonrey said:

I guess I know why the Chasers in the Lounge are rooting so hard for the players to take the high offer. They want them to lose. There's no logic in the world that says someone who only got three questions in the cash builder is good enough to risk going for the high offer.

You're right, but I guess the chasers like the high stakes of it all. But it's not even all that entertaining because mostly they lose quickly with the chaser so close. I could be wrong, but when James was on the original version as a contestant, I don't think he took the high offer!

James will be the Chaser this week (Feb 16) in what appears to be the finale (at present---the show could move to a different timeslot, or just be "paused" until later this spring, or just bumped for a week to push that new show "The Company You Keep").

On 2/13/2023 at 1:59 PM, illdoc said:

James will be the Chaser this week (Feb 16) in what appears to be the finale (at present---the show could move to a different timeslot, or just be "paused" until later this spring, or just bumped for a week to push that new show "The Company You Keep").

My onscreen guide has the show before it, The Parent Test, listed as season finale. But it doesn't say that for The Chase. So I figure it'll be back sooner then later?

Another disappointing one. At least the Chasers got their wish and the second contestant took the higher offer. There's never much chance of only one player winning in the Final Chase. Sort of an anticlimactic episode.

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a solo win before, and with only 13 steps. But I wanted to know what that last question was when the clock ran out. Something about a fast food chain. Brandon blurted out "McDonalds!" but that must not have been the right answer because I think he said it before the clock ran out.

All three did pretty good in the cash builders - 6, 8 and 5.

Good show, surprising ending. I was sure Rick was toast.

• Like 1
On 6/30/2023 at 11:03 AM, iMonrey said:

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a solo win before, and with only 13 steps. But I wanted to know what that last question was when the clock ran out. Something about a fast food chain. Brandon blurted out "McDonalds!" but that must not have been the right answer because I think he said it before the clock ran out.

All three did pretty good in the cash builders - 6, 8 and 5.

Good show, surprising ending. I was sure Rick was toast.

I think there was a solo winner in a past season but I don't remember the details.   I did not expect Rick to win after he didn't get the correct answers on so many of the questions Brandon missed.  Wow, very exciting!

• Like 2

Wow, another win for the team. Not a real impressive team in the cash builder round except for the last guy, Sharath, who got seven. Anyone else think he kind of looked like Mario Lopez? For once I agree with the Chasers, he probably should have gone for the higher offer given how well he did in the cash builder and the final chase. 20 steps is impressive. We rarely see the team get that high anymore. I knew they were going to win about halfway through Brad's final chase.

• Like 4

Did Brad just inch out of the closet there?

He made some comment somewhere about his brain not working as fast as he gets older. That was on display this episode - I fear he is not much longer for this show.

(edited)

Has every team won this season? I'm starting to get suspicious. Victoria was exceptionally bad this episode, especially against that third contestant, Liz. I've never seen her miss that many questions. And she even looked nervous/intimidated against Taotao.

It was a pretty impressive team. Taotao got 8 in the cash builder and took the higher offer of 225K. I think that might be the first time I've seen someone take the high offer and get it. But he was way too trigger happy in the final chase. They could have probably gotten a few more in if he hadn't jumped the gun so many times. Good thing Liz was there. 20 steps is still good though. 310K, over 100K each. Not too shabby.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1

I don’t care what he says, based on the spelling his name is pronounced “dow dow”. But maybe I’m just picking on him because he was kind of arrogant. Don’t jump in if you don’t know the answer.

I liked the 3rd contestant and her quiet dominance of the board. This is the person you want on your side.

First contestant decided to ride coattails, and I don’t blame her. She wasn’t that great, and she got a decent low offer. Go get that fancy catio, girl.

On a purely shallow note, I really liked Sara’s blue dress. Except for the gold balls on her shoulders. It was a pure Project Runway edit moment.

• Like 3
On 7/14/2023 at 11:13 AM, iMonrey said:

Has every team won this season? I'm starting to get suspicious. Victoria was exceptionally bad this episode, especially against that third contestant, Liz. I've never seen her miss that many questions. And she even looked nervous/intimidated against Taotao.

It was a pretty impressive team. Taotao got 8 in the cash builder and took the higher offer of 225K. I think that might be the first time I've seen someone take the high offer and get it. But he was way too trigger happy in the final chase. They could have probably gotten a few more in if he hadn't jumped the gun so many times. Good thing Liz was there. 20 steps is still good though. 310K, over 100K each. Not too shabby.

I hope it’s not a case of the audience wants to see the contestants win. It does make you wonder.   Bleh …on this show I like the chasers winning.

i wonder if Victoria got  thrown with the first contestant taking the low offer and beating her  after a dismal  first round??The next rounds with the other contestants were painful.  

at least cat lady did contribute in the last round.  As a cat owner , glad she is  getting her fancy catio. 

• Like 2

The Chasers aren't infallible, not even Beastie! It's entirely reasonable to think there are many thousands as smart as or smarter than they! Heck, I'd bet peeps on this thread have answered correctly when a Chaser did not! (I see you nodding "Yes"!)

So no; there's no shenanigans. Charles Van Doren put paid to them (in the US. I'm  aware of the UK WWTBAM Cougher Scandal). 

So I root against the Chasers, every segment. I hate when shows are "All or Nothing" cheapskates!

The Queen was simply out-done, and IMO embarrassed at that. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, mertensia said:

How did James not get terminally distracted by Else's busy, busy dress?

10 right in the cash builder & then nothing right had to hurt.

• Sad 1

Wow, the first two contestants were bad at this. I knew that first lady was going to get caught, they were spending way too much time talking and farting around just to fill the air time before the first commercial break. Can't believe she had the nerve to go for the higher offer. And no, waxing doesn't permanently remove hair! Duh!

The second guy was just as bad. I think that's the first time I've seen someone get locked out for taking too long, on this version anyway. I don't think they've ever even explained on this version that you have to lock in within five seconds of the other one. Also? That H20 question was super obvious. Goldwater!!!

The third lady was impressive in the cash builder - I don't know if I've ever seen anyone get 10 before - but just as bad in the chase. She did OK in the final chase but I knew she had no chance against James with only 15. And what was this extra step they added on after the commercial? I call bs. I wonder how the show decides what the consolation prize is. Is it always 60K?

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

And what was this extra step they added on after the commercial? I call bs.

It seems to be the contingency plan when all three contestants have been cut and there's still 15 minutes to fill.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

The third lady was impressive in the cash builder - I don't know if I've ever seen anyone get 10 before - but just as bad in the chase. She did OK in the final chase but I knew she had no chance against James with only 15. And what was this extra step they added on after the commercial? I call bs. I wonder how the show decides what the consolation prize is. Is it always 60K?

1 hour ago, Trey said:

It seems to be the contingency plan when all three contestants have been cut and there's still 15 minutes to fill.

Yeah, I remember seeing it happen before.  I'm pretty sure it was for the same consolation prize amount but I'm not positive.  I mean, they had to do something to make the show fill the allotted time.

I was about to call them out when the contestant in the final chase was ruled correct for Prince George for "who is third in line for the British throne" then I finally realized that this must have been recorded before QE2 died.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

And what was this extra step they added on after the commercial?

Well, normally, the team starts with extra steps (1 per contestant in the final chase). I noticed that this time the single contestant wasn't given the "head start"---I thought it was just because it was the consolation round and not a regular final chase. I guess they noticed it too (during the commercial) and decided to give her the "1-step head start" after all.

• Useful 1

I don't usually do all that well in the Chase rounds, but yesterday there were more than a few of the multiple choice questions that I not only got correct, but that I was positive I knew (not a correct guess) that the contestants missed. I don't remember them all, but 2 that spring to mind are Anne Hathaway for Shakespeare's wife and Barry for AU H2O.

And yes waxing doesn't remove hair permanently so I knew it had to be one of the other 2 responses and I picked the correct one.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

Well, normally, the team starts with extra steps (1 per contestant in the final chase). I noticed that this time the single contestant wasn't given the "head start"---I thought it was just because it was the consolation round and not a regular final chase. I guess they noticed it too (during the commercial) and decided to give her the "1-step head start" after all.

Oops, I misunderstood the question when I posted earlier.  Please ignore that.  I think illdoc is addressing the actual question.

3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oops, I misunderstood the question when I posted earlier.  Please ignore that.  I think illdoc is addressing the actual question.

@iMonrey, I also misunderstood your original question.  I didn't realize they didn't give her the head start until after the commercial break. 

To me, the "extra steps" are the fatal flaw in my enjoyment of this show. 

Oh, it sounds logical---One Step Per Chaser---but in reality it is most unfair. THREE brainiacs should get only ONE step, while a lone Chaser should get THREE, for he or she has no other help. 

IMO. 

And why would anyone think waxing permanently removed hair? Hello, waxing salons? She bugged me. 

• Like 7
On 7/21/2023 at 12:56 AM, mertensia said:

How did James not get terminally distracted by Else's busy, busy dress?

I kind of liked it except for the neon green portions. Especially the round neon green circle under her neck. 

On 7/22/2023 at 9:14 AM, LennieBriscoe said:

Oh, it sounds logical---One Step Per Chaser---but in reality it is most unfair. THREE brainiacs should get only ONE step, while a lone Chaser should get THREE, for he or she has no other help. 

IMO. 

This is what I’ve always said! But I guess the idea is that the team earns 1 step each time they beat the chaser, which also has a logic to it.

On 7/22/2023 at 7:14 AM, LennieBriscoe said:

IMO. 

They need the extra steps, someone like James doesn't as I think they trip over each other a lot of the time, waiting for someone else to answer a question rather than just saying pass as the chaser does when they know they don't know something. 

• Like 2
On 7/16/2023 at 7:30 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

The Chasers aren't infallible, not even Beastie! It's entirely reasonable to think there are many thousands as smart as or smarter than they! Heck, I'd bet peeps on this thread have answered correctly when a Chaser did not! (I see you nodding "Yes"!)

So no; there's no shenanigans. Charles Van Doren put paid to them (in the US. I'm  aware of the UK WWTBAM Cougher Scandal). 

So I root against the Chasers, every segment. I hate when shows are "All or Nothing" cheapskates!

The Queen was simply out-done, and IMO embarrassed at that. 

I agree with you about shows being cheapskates. How many times did the Beast win on the Gameshow network version of the Chase? It was frustrating knowing the contestants weren't going to win anything,