Type keyword(s) to search

The Chase (2021) - General Discussion

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

I haven't noticed any discernable difference in the way Sarah reads the questions for the Chaser versus the contestants. I do think she's still trying to find the right balance, though, and hasn't really landed on a happy medium. She was way too slow the first season. Brooke Burns (GSN version) was really good at reading fast, consistently. I don't want Sarah to start slowing down in reaction to criticisms like this.

On 6/23/2022 at 2:40 PM, illdoc said:

Here's hoping that Colorado wins tomorrow or Sunday (that would end the playoffs). Otherwise, there will be a Game 7 on Tue Jun 28 (so no Chase). I don't know, however, if they are planning a new episode or if they will put on a rerun instead for that Tue (if no playoff) .

I have no idea. There will be a new episode on 7/5, but my DVR guide does not have Chaser listed as yet.

(edited)

I don’t believe anyone is cheating but I have to admit I have noticed her reading faster for the chaser. I don’t think she is doing it on purpose  but she might be speeding up unconsciously because the chasers often answer before she finishes the question.  I also don’t think any of the chasers throw the game. The questions on here are very random and no one can know everything.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I don’t believe anyone is cheating but I have to admit I have noticed her reading faster for the chaser. I don’t think she is doing it on purpose  but she might be speeding up unconsciously because the chasers often answer before she finishes the question.  

I have noticed this, too— or at least it seems that way sometimes. I haven’t done any scientific analysis. Your reasoning makes sense to me; if the respondent is talking fast or answering with urgency, that might make her speed up unconsciously as well. It used to seem like the Chasers would get easier questions sometimes, too— I guess that’s why they started letting the contestants choose questions “A” or “B”. 

Speaking quickly is a skill, one that Sara hasn’t completely mastered yet. Not only is her speed inconsistent, but sometimes she goes so fast that she loses inflection, and the fast monotone makes it hard to follow what she’s saying. I like Sara, and I think she’s a great host, but I think she definitely needs to practice more.

On 6/22/2022 at 3:09 PM, illdoc said:

Happened once during the previous season (I think Ken was the Chaser). That time, I believe the pot was $150K, not $60K. And I think the player won then too.

Even if the offer was $150k, once the contestants are caught, that money is gone. If all three are caught they team picks one player to represent and fight for $60k that they split. That figure has not changed. 

I believe this is the first time a team has won the pot after all being caught - in the lounge James commented on Shawn being the first successful “Lazarus” contestant.

What a stinker of an episode, it's probably not a coincidence they aired it during a holiday week. The second contestant only got one question right in the cash builder and the first didn't get any questions right in the Chase round. Only 9 steps in the Final Chase, no suspense at all in that race. Where do they get these people?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, illdoc said:

Arggh! Forgot that the Chase was on last night. At least it sounds like I didn't miss much. Who was the Chaser?

Victoria this time, and it was Ken's turn to have to wait for the proverbial next train instead of sitting in the lounge.

I just thought of this, since I watched the woman who got one in the cash builder and Victoria was still nice about it, suggesting she had really hard questions. But then it occurred to me that if they rag too much on the cash builder, they really are going to have more trouble getting people to take the high offers. It's already a rarity, but if the chasers told people their cash builders were pathetic, I'd think it would kill the chances.

• Love 1
On 7/8/2022 at 9:00 AM, Ailianna said:

the woman who got one in the cash builder and Victoria was still nice about it, suggesting she had really hard questions.

This bugs me when the Chasers say the questions were hard. Seriously, no question is difficult if you know the answer, I don't care what the subject is. So if I don't know the answer when 10 other people do, it's a "hard" question? Yeah, I don't think so. I have no idea why the Chasers keep saying this, except maybe they are told to so viewers won't feel like dunces.

So the last lady should have thrown it, then the other two ladies could have cone back and she possibly would have gotten at least 20k ( at least that’s what they did previously when all 3 contestants got kicked out).

• Love 1

No. The last time they all were caught, they voted on one person to go, then could split $60k three ways if they won. I guess that's sort of a plan, but no idea who would get voted to play. But all three don't cone back.

7 hours ago, Ailianna said:

No. The last time they all were caught, they voted on one person to go, then could split $60k three ways if they won. I guess that's sort of a plan, but no idea who would get voted to play. But all three don't cone back.

You’re so right. So she may not have won any money that way either. 

That was a surprisingly good episode considering how poorly all three did in the cash builder rounds. That last guy was brave going for the high offer, I was shocked he won it, and even more shocked they managed to win the money in the Final Chase with only 16 steps on James. Wow. It was a real nail-biter, too.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

Mid-season finale; I read there are 10 more episodes to be aired at a later date.

Good, because Buzzy was in only one episode as Chaser. That's the problem with having five Chasers - only so many episodes. ABC needs to have a 15-episode season so everyone gets three episodes.

Great outcome for the team. Is this the first time in the ABC version that someone went for the high offer - and won? Wow. 

Edited by Prairie Rose
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

That was definitely an exciting finish.  I was surprised the challengers "only" got 14 in their final chase because it seemed they were going faster than that.  It all worked out in the end.

YMMV (and judging by comments I think I am in the minority) but I don't get anything from the lounge.  They say the same few general things every game.  Wow, you think the contestant should have taken the higher offer / are pleased the contestant took the higher offer?  You think achieving a pushback was critical / missing a pushback was critical?  Tell me more!  They could cut that bit out without losing anything from my point of view.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I was really rooting for Carlos to make it. For some reason I just really liked him.

Same here. I was surprised James didn't catch them on the final chase when they had such few answers, seems most finals are 20-21 answers. But oh well I guess.

YMMV (and judging by comments I think I am in the minority) but I don't get anything from the lounge.  They say the same few general things every game.  Wow, you think the contestant should have taken the higher offer / are pleased the contestant took the higher offer?  You think achieving a pushback was critical / missing a pushback was critical?  Tell me more!  They could cut that bit out without losing anything from my point of view.

I'm with you, I don't think it adds anything to the show, but if you're a fan of the Chasers you probably enjoy seeing them every episode. I actually find it annoying every time they cut to the Chaser's Lounge, it feels disruptive to the flow of the game.

• Like 2
On 7/9/2022 at 4:04 PM, PBnJay said:

Seriously, no question is difficult if you know the answer, I don't care what the subject is.

I'm not sure I agree with that.  There are some facts that I know, and could answer easily.  But I'm also aware that those facts are pretty obscure to most people, and that the only reason I know them is that I have a particular interest in that topic.  I can know the answer to a question, but still acknowledge that it would be a hard question for a lot of people.

• Love 3
(edited)

I have to say, I did very much enjoy James' burn to the Yale lady, saying he went to a state school, did poorly there and yet kicked her butt on knowing all her money-building questions she didn't know. That was one righteous burn.

Edited by PBnJay
  • Love 2

I think that when the contestants have a lower number in the final chase, maybe the chasers lessen the pressure they put on themselves which, in turn, may lower their focus or something.  I was surprised that James let that final chase get away from him.

I do feel for the contestants who take the higher offer (and the additional pressure it represents) and then the others get to benefit from it if they when the final chase.  Harvard woman should/could have gone for the higher offer (and then they would have had a total of $550,000) but because she took the $30,000 offer she really benefitted from Jeffrey's money builder round.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I do feel for the contestants who take the higher offer (and the additional pressure it represents) and then the others get to benefit from it if they when the final chase.  Harvard woman should/could have gone for the higher offer (and then they would have had a total of $550,000) but because she took the $30,000 offer she really benefitted from Jeffrey's money builder round.

True, but he benefited just as much, if not more, from her. She answered almost all of the questions in the final Chase. No way could he have managed that by himself, he just wasn’t fast enough. So I’d say it was a fair distribution of assets.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

True, but he benefited just as much, if not more, from her. She answered almost all of the questions in the final Chase. No way could he have managed that by himself, he just wasn’t fast enough. So I’d say it was a fair distribution of assets.

(smacks head) you're right-he would not have won without her.  Great point!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

But you are right sometimes it doesn’t work out such evenly matched.  

I agree, it's not always 50-50 fair with money earned by the players. A few weeks back, the two players would have made way more money if the third player hadn't joined them. Which she did. Splitting the money from three players three ways was a lot less than splitting what the two had, two ways. But I guess a few real bucks is better than a lot of imaginary money.

It really wasn't like James to let this short chase get away from him. He's making me lose my faith!

• Love 1

It seems like some contestants may have the strategy to ensure that it's easier for them to make the final chase while hoping someone else goes for the higher offer (i.e. someone put $250,000 into the final round total, so I can take the low offer of $5,000 [and 1 more step away from the Chaser] and still potentially go home with $127, 500).

I know I come here a couple times a season to gripe, but I was getting very annoyed at the chasers constantly acting like it's a no-brainer to go for the highest amount. It was not clear at all to me that going for the high amount would have been the best choice.  Getting to the final chase is better than losing out on the (remote chance for a share of) a quarter million.

And I do hope the contestants at least got their expenses paid!  This seems like an excellent opportunity for a sponsor to fund consolation prizes.  A year's supply of Advil, anyone?  Maybe knitting supplies?

• Like 5

I know I come here a couple times a season to gripe, but I was getting very annoyed at the chasers constantly acting like it's a no-brainer to go for the highest amount. It was not clear at all to me that going for the high amount would have been the best choice.  Getting to the final chase is better than losing out on the (remote chance for a share of) a quarter million.

I know right! Especially after the third contestant only got two questions right in the cash builder! Do they honestly think it's the right gamble under those circumstances? Or are they just coached to berate the players? 

I personally find the Chaser lounge to be utterly pointless and annoying. 

I was heartbroken for the team, they did so well in the final chase. I knew they were going to lose a step because two of them answered at once. Still, impressive showing. 

Victoria remains unbeaten. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Or are they just coached to berate the players? 

Probably this one.

Which option to choose really comes down to level of confidence. Seeing how well the middle guy did in both his round and the final, I think he should have had enough confidence to go for it. Based on the ladies’ overall performances, I think it was less of a sure thing and they made the right choice.

The long break really seemed to throw Sara off her rhythm, because she was all over the place in terms of reading the clues for the Cash Builder. In the first round, I thought her speed was perfect. In the second round, she was reading so fast my brain couldn’t keep up. In the third round, she read so slow I got impatient, then went warp speed on the last couple questions. I like Sara, but she needs to maintain some consistency.

All the contestants seem to be afraid of James, but Victoria is the one they should probably fear the most. She disarms them with her niceness, but she is deadly.

All the contestants seem to be afraid of James, but Victoria is the one they should probably fear the most. She disarms them with her niceness, but she is deadly.

I could be mistake, but I think she remains the only Chaser who is currently unbeaten.

• Like 1
On 1/6/2023 at 7:24 PM, iMonrey said:

I know right! Especially after the third contestant only got two questions right in the cash builder! Do they honestly think it's the right gamble under those circumstances? Or are they just coached to berate the players? 

I personally find the Chaser lounge to be utterly pointless and annoying. 

I was heartbroken for the team, they did so well in the final chase. I knew they were going to lose a step because two of them answered at once. Still, impressive showing. 

Victoria remains unbeaten. 

Yea taking away that question did them in .bummer

3 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

Yea taking away that question did them in .bummer

I think Victoria still had about 20 seconds left, so i don't think that question will have made a difference.

• Like 1
On 1/7/2023 at 2:49 AM, 30 Helens said:

Probably this one.

I agree.  The dynamic of the show has generally been that the Chasers are the "villains."  That's what's behind giving them all "scary" nicknames.  This was a bit more obvious on the GSN version, where the only chaser was Mark "The Beast" Labbett, with his constant trash talking of the contestants.  So I'm sure one of their instructions is to mock the players.

I also agree that the Chaser's Lounge is largely useless.  And yes, if you've barely managed to answer one or two questions in the cash builder round, taking the high offer is probably not the best idea.

BTW, if anybody misses "The Beast," he has joined the cast of Master Minds over on GSN, reuniting him with Brooke Burns.

Wow! I thought for sure they were done for when they only got 14 steps in the Final Chase. No way they could win with that, right? And then  . . . they do. Was Brandon really stumped that many times? Or did he purposely throw it? I think Victoria would have mopped the floor with them. 

Impressive showing by the first two in the cash builder rounds, despite only getting four and five questions right, respectively. Mad props to the second contestant going for the higher offer. Chase Loungers were thrilled. 

• Like 1

Re: Jan. 12 show

The guy was supremely lucky to be teamed with Ranjani.  She was brave enough to go for $250,000 while he stuck with $40,000.  She carried them through the Final Chase.  It's a shame she had to split it 50/50.  She was amazing. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Ranjani’s performance made me wish the payout could be proportional with achievement. She did so much more than her partner, yet gets the same prize? Just seems wrong.

On the other hand, I’m glad she got anything. I really didn’t think they stood a chance with a paltry 14 steps.

I wonder if Brandon will be invited back next season. Among the Chasers, he seems like the weakest link and easiest to beat. This isn’t the first game where he faltered. Plus, that focus-on-the-hand thing is a little overly dramatic. I say bring on Jeopardy Amy instead. She’s great, and Victoria could use a little female company.

• Like 1

Once again, contestants manage to pull off a win with a mere 14 steps! Amazing. I was just as certain as last week they were doomed. I can't believe Buzzy had such a hard time in the final chase, although those questions were pretty hard.

Interesting that now they are specifying the teams gets a choice of Set A or Set B questions. People must have started asking about it. 

• Like 3