Type keyword(s) to search

The Chase (2021) - General Discussion

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

Team picking from “A” packet or “B” packet in the final chase was new to this version, right?

I could be wrong but I think they've always done it and this is the first time they've shown it. It was a staple on the GSN version. It's meant to demonstrate to the audience that there hasn't been a pre-determined set of questions for the chaser.

The other thing they've never mentioned on this version is that during the chase rounds, once one of them locks in an answer, the other has only five seconds to lock in their answer or they forfeit. 

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I could be wrong but I think they've always done it and this is the first time they've shown it. It was a staple on the GSN version. It's meant to demonstrate to the audience that there hasn't been a pre-determined set of questions for the chaser.

The other thing they've never mentioned on this version is that during the chase rounds, once one of them locks in an answer, the other has only five seconds to lock in their answer or they forfeit. 

This rule was imposed on the 2021 version during season 3.

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

This rule was imposed on the 2021 version during season 3.

This was a good game. That first woman did so badly on her cash builder, only one question, I was embarrassed for her but she redeemed herself in the final chase. That poor third guy went for the higher offer and blew it. I think he would have gotten caught even if he'd played for the money he earned, though. I like to play along and Google the answers so I know whether they're right before the reveal and I knew he got that last one wrong.

The two women did really well in the final chase and won. Too bad the bank was rather small. I guess $35 grand apiece is nothing to sneeze at but probably not the amount they were hoping for. 

• Love 2

Man, this was a lackluster episode for me. James seemed not up to par, and the best player guy got sent home. Glad he went for the big money though, that took guts.

What, the lounge only has three chairs? So Brad was back this week and they made Buzzy wait in his car?

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 5/4/2022 at 12:50 AM, Fellaway said:

I missed Brad's humor. Plus, he's my game show boyfriend. 

Hands off!! Them’s fighting words.

I miss Ken in the lounge. He knew how to bring the snark. 

James was really off his game this time. Maybe he misses Ken, too.

Please lose the nicknames, Show. Nobody likes them, they make no sense, and they make your otherwise dignified Chasers look like cartoons. Just stop it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

Please lose the nicknames, Show. Nobody likes them, they make no sense, and they make your otherwise dignified Chasers look like cartoons. Just stop it.

It made sense in the original UK version because the Chasers weren't "celebrities," per se, prior to being on the show. But the Jeopardy champs were not known by these nicknames prior to The Chase so it's really dumb to just assign them random nicknames here.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I can't remember any of the nicknames or who they are assigned to. I rather they just say their real names too.

At least on the GSN version, there's only one guy to remember. The Beast fits because was a beast at answering questions (and I guess because he's so big?) 

• Love 1

At least on the GSN version, there's only one guy to remember. The Beast fits because was a beast at answering questions (and I guess because he's so big?) 

Labbett was the original Chaser on the UK version and that was his nickname there, for being a trivia beast. I think he was well-known to UK audiences already from other game shows. I don't think the Monopoly champs need to play "characters" but clearly the show is trying to maintain the gimmick.

Victoria was this week's Chaser, she beat the players in a photo finish. I can't believe one of the players was a magician and another was a juggler. Where did they find these people, at a circus?

• LOL 2

I liked Victoria, the new chaser.  I thought she exuded confidence without coming across as try-hard with putdowns like some of the others have at times.

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I can't believe one of the players was a magician and another was a juggler. Where did they find these people, at a circus?

I wondered whether that was really their full-time work or a more appealing line for the "casting" process.  It does seem that a gimmick or a "character" really helps to get on many of these shows these days.

16 hours ago, Glitches said:

I think the show would be better if they used a different chaser for each player and for the final chase. 

Ooooh, that's a great idea!  I think I'd enjoy that.

• Love 1

I think the show would be better if they used a different chaser for each player and for the final chase. 

I kind of like that idea too. I don't enjoy the commentary from the lounge; if they need to utilize four chasers in every episode, why not have three play chase rounds and the fourth do the final chase? They could switch out who does the final chase each week.

I know, this may run contrary to the purpose of a team beating one specific Chaser, but I'm game to try it.

• Love 1

Although I guess there’s already a degree of randomness in the questions each competitor has to answer, I think it’s unfair to the competitors to have them face different chasers in the cash builder rounds. It might even be somewhere in Standards & Practices about treating competitors equally.

I really could do without the chaser’s lounge.

• Love 4

Victoria was a new face for me, but I liked her and will enjoy seeing her again. It was interesting that the third player, Wren, stuck with the 30,000. If I were one of the players already safe, I would have told him to go with the bigger offer, what was it, 250,000? The two safe players would get more money without him, they had 80,000 so would get 40,000 each. With Wren sticking with 30,000, the three of them would each get 36,666. So better he come with 250,000 or not at all IMO.

I was so happy Victoria caught them, I threw up both arms and shouted out, I almost threw myself out of my chair. Yeay!

Again, Buzzy has to wait in his car. What, they can't afford four chaser chairs?

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

Again, Buzzy has to wait in his car. What, they can't afford four chaser chairs

Other than the first episode, has Buzzy even been seen???? I don't think he's been the Chaser yet. Brad will be the Chaser next week (May 24).

• Love 1
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

Other than the first episode, has Buzzy even been seen????

No, just episode one (Brad was the missing one then) where he wore some notable socks, if I remember correctly. Will be good to see Brad next, thanks for the heads up @illdoc

• Love 1

Sarah seemed to be firing off questions faster than an auctioneer during Victoria’s last 10-15 seconds. I wish she’d be more consistent with her speed.

• Love 5
(edited)
6 hours ago, dmeets said:

Sarah seemed to be firing off questions faster than an auctioneer during Victoria’s last 10-15 seconds. I wish she’d be more consistent with her speed.

Thank you. I thought Sarah was THE reason Victoria squeaked by.  Perhaps the host ought not see the clock. 

I'm one who always hopes the contestants beat the Chaser, because otherwise, it's one miserly show. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I'm one who always hopes the contestants beat the Chaser, because otherwise, it's one miserly show. 

I have always rooted for the Chasers on this iteration of the show, but, with Brandon and Victoria, I root for the contestants. I'm expecting, with Buzzy, that I'll be rooting for him. The difference, of course, is that Brandon and Victoria are unknown entities for me, while the other Chasers I have a history of rooting for them as contestants on other game shows and I feel invested in them. Not nice, I guess, for the contestants, but it is what it is. I do think the show could pony up some money as a consolation prize, at least. They wouldn't have a show without contestants, after all.

Since they have so many chasers they should do one special episode where 3 chasers are the contestants against 1 og chaser. Play for charity, could be fun.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
On 5/20/2022 at 8:45 AM, LennieBriscoe said:

Me, too.  Unless the Chaser is Brad, of course.  I don't want anyone to beat my sweetie.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Ha! I never thought they'd win with only 16 steps but Brad kept getting stumped. I was impressed with the third guy who went for the higher offer. They did a great job pushing him back, too.

• Love 1

Wow, this episode was something. There's no way BF Brad let those two beat him with such a small number of clues he needed to answer. Well, go figure.

I felt bad for Wyatt being sent home when the two other players got to split $300,000. Poor Wyatt. You should have been in there too and got some cash for those wedding horses. 

• Love 1

It's ridiculous. Why have five chasers if they won't put four of them in the lounge?

I'm guessing $$$. I assume the whole point of the Chaser Lounge is to have the Chasers appear in every episode. Which means they get paid for every episode, even if they're not the Chaser in that episode. Prior to this season, they've had three they had to pay. Adding two more means they'd have to pay five if the other four are in the Chaser Lounge. Only having three in the Lounge is no doubt a cost-cutting measure.

The GSN version only had The Beast (Mark Labbett), so no Chaser Lounge. Does anyone know if the original UK version had a Chaser Lounge?

On 5/25/2022 at 1:26 PM, PBnJay said:

Wow, this episode was something. There's no way BF Brad let those two beat him with such a small number of clues he needed to answer. Well, go figure.

I felt bad for Wyatt being sent home when the two other players got to split $300,000. Poor Wyatt. You should have been in there too and got some cash for those wedding horses. 

Someone could have an off night, but when the contestants win several times with <20 steps to get caught, it does make you wonder if the producers tell the chasers to let them win once in a while. 

• Love 1
On 5/24/2022 at 9:58 AM, proserpina65 said:

Me, too.  Unless the Chaser is Brad, of course.  I don't want anyone to beat my sweetie.

On 5/24/2022 at 2:08 PM, PBnJay said:

Boyfriend time!

On 5/24/2022 at 11:09 PM, Alice Mudgarden said:

I really enjoy this recurring storyline of Brad being everyone's boyfriend.

Everyone? I don’t think so. I will fight anyone who tries to move in on my man. Don’t make me hurt you. 😬

• LOL 5
4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Everyone? I don’t think so. I will fight anyone who tries to move in on my man. Don’t make me hurt you. 😬

Hey now, he's been my boyfriend ever since his very first appearance on Jeopardy back in 2000.

I recorded The Chase this week for obvious reasons.  Unfortunately ABC was running late and my recording cut off just before the final chase.  I knew Wyatt was toast when that question about HBCUs came up.  I live about 5 minutes from the Mason-Dixon Line in Cecil County, Maryland, and see the exit sign for Lincoln University on Rt. 1 every time friends and I visit the wineries in Chester County.  Plus, I have a friend who actually lived in that town when I first met her.  No way a man from the very next county over in PA was going to miss that answer, even if Cheyney University hadn't been included in the clue.

I was impressed by the guy who went for the $240,000.  Although I was routing for Brad to stomp them, I'd not entirely sorry they won.

On 5/25/2022 at 2:26 PM, PBnJay said:

Eh, Wyatt deserved to be sent home for missing so many answers.

On 5/27/2022 at 5:07 AM, 30 Helens said:

Hmm...it's getting a little crowded here on the "Brad is my game show boyfriend" train, but I'm hanging on. Maybe they should take away Brad's awful nickname and just call him "Brad 'The Boyfriend' Rutter?"

Also, I fell asleep halfway through last night's episode (which makes me mad, because Brad was on fire in the lounge and I didn't record it). Did Buzzy win, or the contestants? The woman who was the first contestant did terribly, and the man wasn't much better, but I thought the other woman had potential to do well in the final chase. 

• Fire 1
  • Love 1

They did much better in the final chase than I would have guessed. The first woman was just an embarrassment, I don't know how she ever made it onto the show. Only two correct answers and a total washout on her chase round. Granted, if I ever went on this show, I might totally choke from the pressure, but that's why I have to plans to try out. If you don't get at least five right in the cash builder you have no business being there.

• Love 1
(edited)

I strongly prefer silly puns and "dad jokes" to put-on insults and bravado, so I liked how Buzzy presented himself.

On 5/26/2022 at 3:23 PM, iMonrey said:

The GSN version only had The Beast (Mark Labbett), so no Chaser Lounge. Does anyone know if the original UK version had a Chaser Lounge?

No, it doesn't.  Or at least it didn't when I last watched it a few years ago, and I don't think it's been added.  They're on every weekday, often with a different chaser daily, so everyone has their bit of the action naturally.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

My dad is so looking forward to seeing Buzzy tonight!! He still thinks Buzzy should have been made permanent host of Jeopardy. 😂

Your dad is not alone in that! I'll always remember the Tournament of Champions final between Buzzy, Austin Rogers, and Alan Lin as one of the best and most entertaining ever. But, if we can't have him on Jeopardy, it's great to have him on The Chase. I think it was a great inaugural run for Buzzy, with both his smarts and his humor serving him well.

3 hours ago, kirinan said:

Hmm...it's getting a little crowded here on the "Brad is my game show boyfriend" train, but I'm hanging on. Maybe they should take away Brad's awful nickname and just call him "Brad 'The Boyfriend' Rutter?"

I'd be down with that, if we must endure the nicknames. He is my game show boyfriend, after all. 😁 But they really need to get rid of the "Queen" one and the royal wave. Seriously not down with that.

So... just the one dress for Victoria, then? Maybe they need to raid Sara's closet.

• Love 2

I wonder if they tape several episodes a day and the chasers aren't doing wardrobe changes for every game, but Sarah obviously is. It makes sense to do several at once. I haven't paid enough attention to the guys' clothes to see if they're wearing the same thing. It's just so obvious with women's clothing versus men's suits.

• Love 2

So... just the one dress for Victoria, then? Maybe they need to raid Sara's closet.

Just so long as they don't use the same hairstylist. Yikes, I thought Sara's hair was a hot mess this week, it looked like she pulled it back in a rush like she was about to do some housework. Half of it was still hanging down one side of her face.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Just so long as they don't use the same hairstylist. Yikes, I thought Sara's hair was a hot mess this week, it looked like she pulled it back in a rush like she was about to do some housework. Half of it was still hanging down one side of her face.

Sadly, poor Sara's hair often looks worse on The View...two ABC shows and the network can't find anyone to properly style the hair of this gorgeous woman. Her makeup also looked caked on.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I strongly prefer silly puns and "dad jokes" to put-on insults and bravado, so I liked how Buzzy presented himself.

Yes, that works for Buzzy. Someone like James doesn't have to pretend with bravado. 

I've said this before, but assuming the show is picked up for a fourth season I predict they will cut back on Chasers and go back to three - Brad, James and Buzzy. Four was pushing it but five is way too much. 

As for the game itself, Buzzy had a very strong Chaser debut. He was smooth, confident, funny and really looked to be having fun. The latter two contestants had a strong game and took advantage of two of the three slip ups Buzzy had in the Final Chase. After that, it was smooth sailing and he got the last 11 questions handily to win the game. It was one of those rare chases where I would have been fine with either side winning, it was that good. 

According to my DVR guide, Victoria will be the Chaser in the next new episode (6/7). See you then!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

I've said this before, but assuming the show is picked up for a fourth season I predict they will cut back on Chasers and go back to three - Brad, James and Buzzy. Four was pushing it but five is way too much. 

The problem with this is there would be no persons of color and no women. I think most shows are at least trying to be more diverse these days and not have only white males.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, dgpolo said:

The problem with this is there would be no persons of color and no women. I think most shows are at least trying to be more diverse these days and not have only white males.

I agree. I can see them cutting back to four chasers, but I’d be pretty sure they’ll keep Brandon and Victoria, unless they don’t want to do it. However, for better or worse, it would make the lounge less snarky.

Surprised that Victoria is the chaser again in the next episode when Brandon hasn't had a turn yet. Looking forward to seeing him in action too!

I really enjoyed Buzzy as the chaser. He did the silly joke and trash talking thing, but seemed a little more natural and gentle with it than some of the others. I also appreciate that he explained how he knew the answers in the 1:1 round; some of them are usually like "Yeah, I just knew that." And his last 11 questions in the Final Chase were fiiiiire! I thought the contestants had a chance in the first half, but then he just smoked 'em. Already looking forward to his next episode!

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Iseut said:

Surprised that Victoria is the chaser again in the next episode when Brandon hasn't had a turn yet.

Brandon was the first Chaser this season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/2/2022 at 9:11 AM, Rickster said:

I agree. I can see them cutting back to four chasers, but I’d be pretty sure they’ll keep Brandon and Victoria, unless they don’t want to do it. However, for better or worse, it would make the lounge less snarky.

I didn't mind his first episode, but if the show were to cut one chaser, I'd cut Brandon. Buzzy I already "know" and I liked what Victoria brought to her first chase. She fits in with the others, but also has her own vibe going on, and I dig it.

Overall, I don't really mind all of them sticking around. It feels like a lot, but I don't dislike any of them, either, so I don't have a burning need for anyone to go.

Edited by Alice Mudgarden
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Iseut said:

Surprised that Victoria is the chaser again in the next episode when Brandon hasn't had a turn yet. Looking forward to seeing him in action too!

Brandon was the Chaser in the season premiere, which ABC is rerunning on Monday (6/6).