Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Birthdays, Babies and Emotional Support Chickens

Pallas
  • Start Topic

21 hours ago, Shermie said:

I don't care if Emilio feels left out, spending a thousand bucks* on a one year old's party is stupid for anyone, but again, he has little money and a child to support for the next 18 years.

*estimate based on fancy cake, custom balloons, extra tables and chairs rented, a blowup ball pit rented, a ridiculous amount of of decorations.

Ball pits skeeved me out in Before Times; now in the Time of COVID, they're the stuff of nightmares!

18 hours ago, Bastet said:

Didn't her doctor say there were other problems, and he was going to get his notes to go over it with her (but then we never saw that, and when she told Ben, she only mentioned being perimenopausal)?  He was quite direct that she could not get pregnant anymore, not that it was highly unlikely.

Yeah, I was wondering what the other problems were.

11 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Darlene joked that she'd have to have the baby on the afghan because she doesn't have insurance.

Speaking of the afghan, has anyone noticed that the ads for this season (including the graphic that "ghosts" in the background on my DVR menu when the show is selected) feature the family in facemarks made of the afghan?  I mean, that would be an absolute NO! IRL (though I know people have tried to get around "face covering" requirements by wearing sheer or mesh masks), but as a graphic to represent the season I thought it was pretty clever.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, readster said:

Dan never put his foot down in the family over their stupid spending habits or quitting jobs that would have paid off in the long run and he knew it. Now, he is pushing 70 and not only is his house NOT paid off, he has no: retirement, is always a month away from foreclosure and still can't tell Jackie: "Get a life before you die!" Yep, he just put his own selfish thoughts on things because "it's a quick fix for what I want RIGHT NOW!"

If he hadn't quit that job with the city, he'd be looking at a nice pension right now instead of living hand to mouth off of odd jobs. He quit that city job because he was bored. It was a stupid , selfish, short sighted thing to do.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 14
57 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

Speaking of the afghan, has anyone noticed that the ads for this season (including the graphic that "ghosts" in the background on my DVR menu when the show is selected) feature the family in facemarks made of the afghan?  I mean, that would be an absolute NO! IRL (though I know people have tried to get around "face covering" requirements by wearing sheer or mesh masks), but as a graphic to represent the season I thought it was pretty clever.

I've always thought those masks were regular masks with an afghan print, and that that that's what we're supposed to think that's what the Conners would have gotten for themselves, not that they used their actual afghan to make masks (although with this family, I guess you can go either way). 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

If he hadn't quit that job with the city, he'd be looking at a nice pension right now instead of living hand to mouth off of odd jobs. He quit that city job because he was bored. It was a stupid , selfish, short sighted thing to do.

Right and Chuck had the "prison job" all set for him. Of course we won't see Chuck again, but I like how he argued back in the first season: "You think I'm happy I'm still working, when I could have retired by now." I wanted to go: "Yet you towed Dan in with some quick money and because you KNEW he was bored at the city." Yeah, how that all work out everyone?

• Love 6
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

At this point, the city job probably never existed because that’s how Jackie met Fred and ended up with Andy. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, readster said:

Of course we won't see Chuck again

We might, actually, he's appeared a few times since the show returned (prior to this season). We may only get too see him on a Zoom call/if he's wearing a mask around the Conners at this point, but he HAS been back so we could still see him. 

Unless James Pickens, Jr. said he wasn't returning and I just missed it, of course. 

Edited by UYI
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, Yeah No said:

ither that or I also get the feeling Ben might push for adoption just because he's never been a Dad and I think he'd want that in any way possible.

I hope not.  It would be so insulting to real life adoption.  But I wouldn’t put it past this show at this point.  I’m so sickened by the Emilio story line as it is.  It’s not funny or cute.  

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

I hope not.  It would be so insulting to real life adoption.  But I wouldn’t put it past this show at this point.  I’m so sickened by the Emilio story line as it is.  It’s not funny or cute.  

If Ben wants to become a father, he needs to lose that ugly beard he was sporting in this episode and seriously rethink a future with Darlene sans baby.  He should go to a bigger city anyway to get a better job and find a gal who wants to and is able to reproduce with him.  I don't see how Dan is going to be able to stand Emilio around for about two more years if he lasts that long in the country illegally.  Did his two tias give him the money to buy out Party City for the ridiculous OTT birthday party for a one-year old?

• Love 2

I’ve been trying to hang in there with this show, but damn it’s hard. First the stupidity of Darlene and Ben even wanting a kid, especially in the current situation, and then the over the top birthday party for a one year old when the people living in the house she’s being raised in can barely afford food from week to week. Seriously? Why are the writers making them so stupid?

Thank god they did away with the pregnancy storyline, it was truly the dumbest thing that would have ever happened on the show. I hope they don’t try for adoption, no way would they realistically be candidates for that. In all honesty, social services should be looking at the current situation of the kids living there now. 

• Love 11
5 hours ago, summitsw said:

I’ve been trying to hang in there with this show, but damn it’s hard. First the stupidity of Darlene and Ben even wanting a kid, especially in the current situation, and then the over the top birthday party for a one year old when the people living in the house she’s being raised in can barely afford food from week to week. Seriously? Why are the writers making them so stupid?

Been going on for years and they decided to re-write history to keep Dan or Jackie from realizing the dumb choices they have made over the last 20 years is why neither one of them have any type of retirement and either still living paycheck to paycheck or about to be evicted. Plus, the show has been written more towards the actors' attitudes and POV instead of where the characters SHOULD have ended up at at this point in their lives except for constantly hammer in: "They are so financially stupid, they make the Hecks look like geniuses." 

• Love 6
On 11/19/2020 at 10:35 AM, Wizardpatch said:

It is confirmed. Dan ate Jerry Garcia Connor. Still more believable than David abandoning his family.

💯🙌🏽 Spot on, I hate what they did to David’s character.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, t7686 said:

💯🙌🏽 Spot on, I hate what they did to David’s character.

He never had much character to begin with. He sat around the Conner's house all day doing nothing. He then went to live with Darlene, where he sat around in her apartment all day, again doing nothing. He never had any career plans and he never developed any skills. At least Mark, for all of his supposed "stupidity" was from what I could see, a gifted mechanic. There was never any "there" there with David.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
39 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

He never had much character to begin with. He sat around the Conner's house all day doing nothing. He then went to live with Darlene, where he sat around in her apartment all day, again doing nothing. He never had any career plans and he never developed any skills. At least Mark, for all of his supposed "stupidity" was from what I could see, a gifted mechanic. There was never any "there" there with David.

I know, I mean they had the underground comic going for a bit, but really what were his goals? I mean Mark was planning on being a full time mechanic and was trying to get his degree and was with the City. Yet, David was: "My life just sucks thanks to Mom smacking me and Dad taking our other two siblings and making a run with it. Of course, legally, I don't know how he ever did that. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

This is true.  I guess T7686 meant The Conners turning David into a long absent deadbeat dad who disappeared again into the sunset with or without girlfriend Blue after he had a few night stands with Darlene while she was also screwing Ben.  Not much "character development" so to speak!

• Love 3
On 11/19/2020 at 7:57 AM, MissLucas said:

In real life Darlene could only act as 'witness' to the baptism - and that only if Ben is catholic (there are other stipulations Ben does not meet but liberal Catholicism tends to ignore those). This being a sitcom I can understand that they did not go into those minutiae of canonical law. They wanted to show it as a compromise between Becky and Emilio and it works. I just wish they had also compromised on the birthday party which given their financial situation was ridiculous. 

I'm Greek Orthodox and am Godparent to 3 Catholic kids.  The third one is funny, - me and the DH were guests at a baptism for our bestie's kid (we are already godparents to their first born).  The priest never got me to meet the godfather for whatever reason - so he's doing his thing and says the godfather's name is it Jewish, like as Jewish as can be lol, the priest stops and asks "are you Jewish"  the guy say yes.  Priest stops the services - they all go behind the alter, my girlfriend (the mother) tip toes over to me and whispers " can you and the Mr be godparents again"  LOL

TOPIC:  Why is Jackie's hair a hot mess?  I'm all for the gray but please, I'm sure she knows how to do a box color.  

• Love 4
On 11/18/2020 at 9:49 PM, UYI said:

Me when Darlene said she was pregnant:

"They really couldn't let go of the idea of Darlene having a baby, even during a pandemic. This fucking show, man. This. fucking. show." -_-

Me when Darlene found out she wasn't pregnant:

😄 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄

And yet another closing tag with a jarring ending, I see. 

On 11/18/2020 at 9:59 PM, ESS said:

Tonight's episode was awesome. I like Louise's brother, Neville so far, him & Jackie got to have a little date which was nice. Still loving Dan & Louise as well. So glad that Dan showed up to the baptism. As for Darlene & Ben, I was sad for them not having a baby because they both were so excited especially Ben, but then again there's enough people in the house already and not to mention they are godparents now so I think that's a better idea.

On 11/19/2020 at 7:17 AM, geauxaway said:

I’d rather Darlene had been pregnant than the peri-menopause at 43.  I’m 43.  The writing is on the wall 😩😩😩.

Dan made some really good points to Emilio.  Who knows where they are going with that plot, though.  

On 11/19/2020 at 12:51 PM, ThatsDarling said:

The previews made such a big deal about Darlene being with child, I suspected it was a red herring. My hunch is that she will end up pregnant before the end of the season; the chance of naturally conceiving during perimenopause is quite low, but it's still possible, especially in sitcom world. I doubt the writers would have emphasized how much Darlene and Ben wanted a child together if they did not intend for it to happen down the line. 

It's odd to me that the go-to storyline for many family sitcoms is for the female lead to become pregnant at some point, even if she is in her forties and already has nearly grown children. A pregnancy is only good for so many episodes worth of story telling, and when the baby arrives, it is difficult to significantly incorporate them into the plot, unless you age them by five or so years during a summer hiatus (it would actually not surprise me if these writers did this). 

I really would not be surprised if they give Darlene a surprise miracle pregnancy like they did for Becky. 

Why do they think that we would be happy that broke Darlene, who barely can take care of her own kids is pregnant? It sucks for Ben, but this is not the woman to have biological children with...she cheated on him, for God’s sake.

Also, right now Ben is not any more financially stable than the rest of the family.

They just better not end this season with a surprise pregnancy that everyone is celebrating.

• Love 6

Looks like Darlene and Ben won’t have a baby together, but given Darlene’s living situation right now, it’s probably for the best. At least she got to have two (and they both show up in the reboot unlike Jackie’s kid and Roseanne’s youngest kid that she had late in the original show)

Seems to me like DJ has taken a SERIOUS back-seat role on this show compared to his dad, aunt and sisters. I began watching it on Hulu to get caught up before this new season started, and every time his daughter or wife is mentioned, I think “Who? You need to give them more than just the occasional mention or appearance, show!”

Edited by Virtual
  • Love 7
On 11/19/2020 at 12:54 PM, Shermie said:

Count me in as someone who was glad Darlene wasn't pregnant. Ugh. Babies on sitcoms are tedious and this show already has one. One that is a year old, but looks like she's the size of a 3 month old (plank) in a baptism gown.

Peri-menopause and menopause aren't the same thing. Peri-menopause typically begins in your 40s, so Darlene isn't too young for this. Also - and this is important - you can still get pregnant during peri-menopause. It's the time when your periods slow down, but you're still getting periods so you're still fertile. It's unlikely (because of irregular periods and poor quality eggs) but not impossible. So it's still possible for the writers to have Darlene get pregnant.

This family is so stupid, they really earn their misfortune. Darlene has no money, no home of her own, two kids to support, and she wants to have a baby? I assume she has no healthcare, no maternity leave, and there'd be no daycare covered. But sure, add the expense of another mouth to feed. Thank goodness circumstances put an end to that (I hope). 

I don't care if Emilio feels left out, spending a thousand bucks* on a one year old's party is stupid for anyone, but again, he has little money and a child to support for the next 18 years.

*estimate based on fancy cake, custom balloons, extra tables and chairs rented, a blowup ball pit rented, a ridiculous amount of of decorations.

Typical “white trash” behavior. I think Roseanne herself years ago called the family this. Unfortunately it happens all the time. I see it every day. AND...how did they magically get to keep a house that went into foreclosure?  When I think about how irresponsible and idiot this family is it makes me 😡, then I have to just remember to enjoy other parts of the show.   

• Love 2
On 11/25/2020 at 10:52 AM, peacheslatour said:

More than enough.

Don’t get why women who have grown children, are in their 40’s, never mind being one step away from being homeless, even wants a baby.  Overrated! Get on with your life and enjoy the freedom. Your daughter will certainly have an out of wedlock baby or two for you to, probably, have to be caregiver of. 

On 11/23/2020 at 1:19 PM, TV Diva Queen said:

I'm Greek Orthodox and am Godparent to 3 Catholic kids.  The third one is funny, - me and the DH were guests at a baptism for our bestie's kid (we are already godparents to their first born).  The priest never got me to meet the godfather for whatever reason - so he's doing his thing and says the godfather's name is it Jewish, like as Jewish as can be lol, the priest stops and asks "are you Jewish"  the guy say yes.  Priest stops the services - they all go behind the alter, my girlfriend (the mother) tip toes over to me and whispers " can you and the Mr be godparents again"  LOL

TOPIC:  Why is Jackie's hair a hot mess?  I'm all for the gray but please, I'm sure she knows how to do a box color.  

Hair salons have even open for many months now.  This irks the shit out of me.  

• Love 4
On 11/20/2020 at 1:50 AM, Yeah No said:

I was relieved when the Dr. said she could not get pregnant anymore, but I wouldn't put it past this show to make her get pregnant anyway, like when doctors tell someone they'll "never walk again" but they eventually do nonetheless.  Either that or I also get the feeling Ben might push for adoption just because he's never been a Dad and I think he'd want that in any way possible.

I haven't been able to get past it either.  I feel like in this episode they were more lax about mask wearing than until now, or maybe it's just that they weren't in as many of those situations.  I had hoped that the show would want to set a good example for the audience.  It boggles my mind how these things aren't that apparent to the writers.  I get it that they're trying to make it about what the characters themselves would do, which I realize is not always the most responsible thing to do, but I still find it annoying anyway.

It’s a sitcom, you have to give it some slack. I for one am sick of this reality by now and actually hate seeing the masks on tv, so the less the better.   But if they do do it, you still have to remember they are actors and we need to see their faces.  It’s not a documentary. 

• Love 4
On 11/21/2020 at 1:57 AM, CrystalBlue said:

If Ben wants to become a father, he needs to lose that ugly beard he was sporting in this episode and seriously rethink a future with Darlene sans baby.  He should go to a bigger city anyway to get a better job and find a gal who wants to and is able to reproduce with him.  I don't see how Dan is going to be able to stand Emilio around for about two more years if he lasts that long in the country illegally.  Did his two tias give him the money to buy out Party City for the ridiculous OTT birthday party for a one-year old?

Beard is horrible. He looks like Wolverines unkempt fatter brother.  

• LOL 3
On 11/19/2020 at 10:35 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Don't you know that the best time for a planned pregnancy is when you have no insurance?

Yes, he'd have to sneak back out and then apply from Mexico, presumably, to re-enter.  They've said that if he were caught again, he'd be barred permanently from re-entry, so he's taking a huge risk.  I don't think Becky would get in trouble-immigration enforcement rounds up and deports many people but you never hear about their spouses or children who are legally here getting in trouble.  Employing him is another matter, though, for which Jackie could get in trouble, although usually it's big companies that get prosecuted for not obtaining proof of citizenship.

Although Becky explained the religious significance of baptism to Darlene and Ben, I think she's actually thinking of the godparent role as who she would want to raise Beverly Rose if she died (as Emilio couldn't easily do it in the US, even if he were still there, although he'd likely try to take her back to Mexico.) I would hope she has designated guardians in a will, but you know she hasn't.

Maybe they'll pursue an adoption story line, but I sincerely hope not.

Darlene joked that she'd have to have the baby on the afghan because she doesn't have insurance.

Exactly. Godparents and guardians (designated in a will) are two different things.  But then again, they are all morons. 
I would hope that no legitimate adoption agency would even Think of placing a child into that (packed to the gills) family home. Where is it going to sleep? In a drawer? Not to mention the lack of income and foreclosure.   This show is fantasyland. 

• Love 6

Where is it going to sleep? In a drawer? 

Hey! I slept in a drawer when my parents were at Penn. State. We lived in off campus housing in a trailer. You do what you have to do when you're trying to get an education. These people don't know how to better themselves.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Exactly. Godparents and guardians (designated in a will) are two different things.  But then again, they are all morons. 
I would hope that no legitimate adoption agency would even Think of placing a child into that (packed to the gills) family home. Where is it going to sleep? In a drawer? Not to mention the lack of income and foreclosure.   This show is fantasyland. 

This show is not fantasyland, it's nightmareland!

10 hours ago, chediavolo said:

It’s a sitcom, you have to give it some slack. I for one am sick of this reality by now and actually hate seeing the masks on tv, so the less the better.   But if they do do it, you still have to remember they are actors and we need to see their faces.  It’s not a documentary. 

This is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation every TV show in real time is in.  The compromise looks silly too.  I'm going to have to handwave a lot of scenes unless they get too stupid.  Thank God they have young Mark to monitor everyone's behavior!  <sarcasm on that last comment.>

Edited by CrystalBlue
Wrong punctuation fixed.

I don't understand how people who no jobs and no money can choose to have a baby (at an advanced state of life no less), and then be upset when they can't have one. That whole storyline feel as flat for me as if Darlene wanted to be queen of England and found out she can't because she isn't a UK citizen. Then again, this family's priorities have never made sense.

This show has a field day with gallows humor with the Connors, who never have much of anything but always have each other. I get it. But also, at some point, someone has to learn from this and make better decisions.

Jackie's story was kind of cute. All it takes is to find the right guy who doesn't care about your baggage. Maybe this is it.

• Love 3
On 11/19/2020 at 12:12 AM, txhorns79 said:

Isn't that essentially the show's premise at this point?  The Conners are in dire financial straits but somehow have money to waste?

I think the wasting of money is part of the reason they are in such bad financial straits. And that kind of makes sense, since even for people who aren't in a bad situation like the Connors it is hard work to manage your finances, and make sure you pay things off and don't over spend. With that in mind does anyone think that Becky has a monthly budget she makes and actually sticks to? Does anyone actually think that Darlene is paying off her entire credit card bill each month?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2