Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Coupling

Katie is taken aback when she learns Taylor’s boyfriend, Trip has been spending the night. Meanwhile, Greg is forced to separate the kids when Anna-Kat and Franklin both come down with mono. And when Oliver starts spending too much time at the office, Cooper begins to feel neglected.

Air date: 2020, November 18.

I love Franklin. He's just so random.

Seeing him standing next to Ana Kat I have to wonder how tall he is. (I cracked up at his voice cracking on the the line "we are children"...I wonder if that was planned.)

Not sure how I feel about Oliver and Cooper's ersatz homosexual marriage (as Beverly Hofstadter would call it).

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Is Franklin now living with the Ottos too? Why isn't he home with his parents since he's sick with mono?

His mother was away on a retreat or something. Greg made a comment about one good thing about being in a cult is they take good trips.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2

I know that the show is not going to acknowledge COVID or anything, but really still throwing mono as the "kissing" disease. Also at this point, just keep Katie at home, I mean she is going to the restaurant and there is NO ONE there for her now. 

• Love 5
On Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 8:34 PM, Snow Apple said:

Is Franklin now living with the Ottos too? Why isn't he home with his parents since he's sick with mono?

They said his mother is visiting the Pyramids -- and hopefully aliens will take her away to visit their planet.

Cooper is sounding like Raj with Howard on TBBT. The writers keep toying with a Cooper-Oliver bromance. I think Cooper is just dependent on Oliver right now because he doesn't have his palace of earthly delights anymore to keep him entertained. Greg and Katy should be giving him a little more attention right now. He's really just a little boy, too.

The new Anna-Kat is starting to click. And Franklin never ceases to surprise.

Edited by Bobbin
Corrections and a tempermental tablet.
  • Love 9
4 minutes ago, Bobbin said:

Cooper is sounding like Raj with Howard on TBBT. The writers keep toying with a Cooper-Otto bromance. I think Cooper is just dependent on Otto right now because he doesn't have his palace of earthly delights anymore to keep him entertained.

I agree, of course still had to throw out Katie with: "Come on Oliver, you're gay, just admit it."

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I thought the basket would have condoms, maybe lube. I think edible panties and handcuffs is really more than they needed to do to be supportive!

I was 100% with Greg on being annoyed by Taylor's verbal affectations, though, and his celebration of her just saying "fine" without it at the end.

• Love 4

Greg talking about it being his pleasure if Tripp was going to get pleasure with his daughter was kinda funny but otherwise eh, not their strongest episode. They needed to flesh out the Oliver - Cooper conflict more, it remained very surface level and the idea of Cooper tagging along with Oliver should have occurred to them sooner, it's not exactly an out there idea.

Edited by Harvey
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Harvey said:

Greg talking about it being his pleasure if Tripp was going to get pleasure with his daughter was kinda funny but otherwise eh, not their strongest episode. They needed to flesh out the Oliver - Cooper conflict more, it remained very surface level and the idea of Cooper tagging along with Oliver should have occurred to them sooner, it's not exactly an out there idea.

It also doesn't help that we don't see Cooper starting to get more of a realization of how life is when you don't have people doing EVERYTHING for you. I mean the mop situation was great, but at times you were waiting for Cooper or someone else to say: "That's not how that works, just do this." I mean he seems to go in a friend's car or on the bus without going: "Why isn't everyone taking my things and wiping my butt?" Then it's: "You are always working, what about me?" Just so Katie can make another gay joke that keeps going that she thinks Oliver is gay. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Bobbin said:

The new Anna-Kat is starting to click.

Agreed.

Was happily surprised to see Jim Rash at the breakfast place. I wonder if that's going to be an ongoing thing.

This was the 2nd episode where all 8 of the main characters were set in the Otto house.  Seems like everyone is on top of each other. Makes me feel a little claustrophobic.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Kip Hackman said:

Was happily surprised to see Jim Rash at the breakfast place. I wonder if that's going to be an ongoing thing.

That's who that was! I could not place him. 

(IMDB only lists this episode for him, though that doesn't necessarily mean anything.)

11 hours ago, readster said:

I know that the show is not going to acknowledge COVID or anything, but really still throwing mono as the "kissing" disease. Also at this point, just keep Katie at home, I mean she is going to the restaurant and there is NO ONE there for her now. 

This is definitely odd. I guess Ali Wong was unwilling or just unable to COVID quarantine with the rest of the cast. And have they even mentioned what happened to Katie's other friend? 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Phishbulb said:

This is definitely odd. I guess Ali Wong was unwilling or just unable to COVID quarantine with the rest of the cast. And have they even mentioned what happened to Katie's other friend? 

I know the actress left the show but I don't think they've mentioned where her character is. (If they did, I missed it.)

Oh wow, doing some Googling on the actress,  I didn't realize she had left the show under....less than ideal circumstances. And the ensuing fallout from that meant that the creator of the show Sarah Dunn has left the series as well. Maybe that contributed to Julia Butters leaving too, knowing the show she was on was kind of a sinking ship. I'm guessing this is probably going to be its last season. 

And have they even mentioned what happened to Katie's other friend? 

Last week Katie said Angela was on a business trip in Baltimore. DIdn't realize Carly Hughes left the show. 

Is there only one bathroom in that whole house? Why was everyone in the same bathroom in the morning?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Last week Katie said Angela was on a business trip in Baltimore. DIdn't realize Carly Hughes left the show. 

Guess I missed that line.

I just saw something on whatever entertainment show is on NBC at 7:30 last week (I think?). I had just changed the channel early to watch what was on after that; didn't catch the whole segment.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

Oh wow, doing some Googling on the actress,  I didn't realize she had left the show under....less than ideal circumstances. And the ensuing fallout from that meant that the creator of the show Sarah Dunn has left the series as well. Maybe that contributed to Julia Butters leaving too, knowing the show she was on was kind of a sinking ship. I'm guessing this is probably going to be its last season. 

At the rate with so many people gone under various reasons. You do have to wonder if the show is going to make it much longer. The good news, we haven't seen Lonnie in two episodes now. 

• Love 6
14 hours ago, readster said:

At the rate with so many people gone under various reasons. You do have to wonder if the show is going to make it much longer. 

The ratings are still decent, and Covid has basically shut down the pipeline for pilot development. I would be very surprised if AH doesn't get a 7th season. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 11/18/2020 at 11:50 PM, possibilities said:

I thought the basket would have condoms, maybe lube. I think edible panties and handcuffs is really more than they needed to do to be supportive!

I was 100% with Greg on being annoyed by Taylor's verbal affectations, though, and his celebration of her just saying "fine" without it at the end.

I did too, and couldn't help but contrast their if-you-can't-beat-em-join-em attitude with my own misspent youth, during which any girl I brought home after I moved out of my parents' house slept in my old bed while I slept on the living room sofa.  Including one that I was living with.  My father was the original "My house, my rules" guy.

I first heard the "uh" suffix when a GF's daughter was arguing with her.  "Mom-uh!!"  I thought it was unique to her and kind of got a kick out of it.

Thanks to everyone who answered how they wrote Angela off the show.  I've been wondering where she is every time Ali Wong's character shows up.  I'll take Dean Pelton in her place every time, however.  Rash has been awesome ever since he did this at the Oscars:

image.thumb.png.2612c2494f2a281a9ab89ccd26bbac1b.png

Still not loving the new Ana Kat, but also not as enamored of the show in general this season...     

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 2

It seems that the phrase "Florida home run" is not really a thing, but it now has become a thing thanks to this episode, LOL.  Google it, you'll see.  There's even a definition in Urban Dictionary.

• LOL 3
5 hours ago, Aryanna said:

I still like the show and think it's fun but it's obvious Covid is limiting what they can do with storylines.

I agree and going to the point they want to ignore they are in a world where COVID isn't happening isn't helping either. Least they could explain more why Doris is always "somewhere" or how everyone is at home more. I mean as much as they keep having Taylor and Trip at home. Least if they were saying: "Their classes are online and Taylor is just trying to prove she in college for a reason" it would make more sense. A lot of Oliver's stories that he is at teen help would make more sense. You be surprised how many teens are just locked into such problems right now with COVID. Hell, it would make sense with Cooper too. All of a sudden, growing up rich and having things at your beckon call can't magically make a pandemic disappear. 

• Love 2
On 11/23/2020 at 7:06 AM, readster said:

I agree and going to the point they want to ignore they are in a world where COVID isn't happening isn't helping either. Least they could explain more why Doris is always "somewhere" or how everyone is at home more. I mean as much as they keep having Taylor and Trip at home. Least if they were saying: "Their classes are online and Taylor is just trying to prove she in college for a reason" it would make more sense. A lot of Oliver's stories that he is at teen help would make more sense. You be surprised how many teens are just locked into such problems right now with COVID. Hell, it would make sense with Cooper too. All of a sudden, growing up rich and having things at your beckon call can't magically make a pandemic disappear. 

Right now that makes sense but if you're 15 years in the future and watching it then covid references could be more confusing. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

I'm actually liking the show more because I think they've toned down some of Katie's awfulness. She's just not as mean as she used to be, probably because she's not interacting with the people she hates as often, but that's fine with me.

I noticed that too. In fact even her going at the family at least established that Katie needs something to do. Which also shows that she needs to find SOMETHING that fills up her time for: nagging, being busy and bringing in some cash. Oliver is going to graduate in 2 more years and despite the change in actresses. Ana-Kat is just mini Katie. I could see her hating the fact she is looking in a mirror when Ana is Oliver's age. 

On 11/22/2020 at 2:12 PM, agilethrust17 said:

I just need Cooper and Oliver to confess tbh, they are obviously in love with each other. Writers need to stop the teasing and make it happen.

Oliver insists he's straight and they haven't made him look unsure about that so I'm hoping they don't go that route just because I don't like it when shows play with the audience like that after already establishing a character's orientation.  Pick a direction and stick with it, otherwise stop going for cheap laughs and a "will they/won't they" situation.  I think they should just stop it with throwing them together like Raj and Howard from "Big Bang Theory".  At least it was funny when they did it on that show and both of them were written to obviously like women so most of us knew it was all for the jokes.  At least they were good jokes!  This is just eh.

• Love 4
On 11/19/2020 at 2:50 AM, possibilities said:

I was grossed out by the basket.  You can give your permission without going that far.  Edible panties for your 20 year old daughter? And what 20  year olds need lube?

should have been condoms and an appt for the pill.  

On 11/22/2020 at 2:12 PM, agilethrust17 said:

I just need Cooper and Oliver to confess tbh, they are obviously in love with each other. Writers need to stop the teasing and make it happen.

They do seem to have chemistry but I think it’s funny, the connotations.