Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Chapter Twelve - The Siege

• Start Topic

Love how the Baby used the Force to get those macarons. Great to see Cara and Greef again. Greef was like a Grampa with the Baby. So cute! I’m glad the Horacio Sanz character was back. He’s funny.

On 11/20/2020 at 11:13 AM, callmebetty said:

So Baby likes Macaroons. At least that's what they looked like to me.

Those were macarons. The Baby has refined tastes.

• Love 7

I like The Child, but am I the only one who thinks the boy didn’t have to share, and little Yodalorian was in the wrong for stealing?

At least one stormtrooper was female. Yea! Though it took her death to know. 😂

I thought the Mythol (the blue guy) was going to die, so I’m glad he didn’t. I tried to look up his name, but it turns out, he hasn’t been named yet.

• Love 5
On 11/20/2020 at 9:12 PM, pezgirl7 said:

Do I get points for being the only person in this thread to spell it correctly? lol  To be fair, I googled the spelling before posting. 😆 I've never eaten one before, but now I want to try one. And I'm guessing bakeries will start selling blue "Baby Yoda" macarons now! They would make a cute Christmas gift for a fan of the show.

You aren’t the only one. I knew the correct spelling, too. I exclaimed “macarons” when I saw the jerk kid eating them.

• LOL 1
13 hours ago, Meushell said:

I like The Child, but am I the only one who thinks the boy didn’t have to share, and little Yodalorian was in the wrong for stealing?

Yes he was wrong but it's still not clear to me what level of emotional maturity the "child" has.  Toddlers are selfish little anarchists (i.e. "the terrible twos").  They think the world revolves around them and no rules apply to them.  They are constantly testing boundaries and they do not understand the concept of sharing (or if they understand it they HATE it).  Often their first word after Mama and Dada is "MINE!".  (I still remember my little niece refusing to let anyone help her with anything, exclaiming "MY do it!")

They've named this character "The Child" despite his (?) being 50 years old so, alas, selfishness and boundary testing are likely to be two of his defining characteristics for the rest of the run.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
13 hours ago, Meushell said:

He was definitely in the wrong.  It didn't bother me like the egg stealing did and if the other kid had complained to the teacher I wouldn't have been bothered by that either.

47 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

They've named this character "The Child" despite his (?) being 50 years old so, alas, selfishness and boundary testing are likely to be two of his defining characteristics for the rest of the run.

I was thinking 10 "BY" years = 1 human year, considering Yoda was, IIRC, 900 when he died.   So in human years the child would be about 5, which sounds about right based on behavior, electrical repair notwithstanding.

• Love 2

I have to admit, much as I enjoy the adventures of Mando and The Child, I do prefer it when we get more of an ensemble episode, like this, with recurring characters. Ensembles are where my heart truly lies, I guess. And I don't even like the actress who plays Cara, but I still appreciate having her around as a recurring character.

Good to see the age old Star Wars standard of really poor marksmanship continues to endure! And that Stormtrooper armour remains completely ineffectual, one hit and they are down. Not to mention the narrow walkway with no guardrail over a seething molten pit. All true Star Wars classics. 😄

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

Yes he was wrong but it's still not clear to me what level of emotional maturity the "child" has.  Toddlers are selfish little anarchists (i.e. "the terrible twos").  They think the world revolves around them and no rules apply to them.  They are constantly testing boundaries and they do not understand the concept of sharing (or if they understand it they HATE it).  Often their first word after Mama and Dada is "MINE!".  (I still remember my little niece refusing to let anyone help her with anything, exclaiming "MY do it!")

I understand  that, and I don’t blame him because of that. I wasn’t expecting him to have them after class. Didn’t Din wonder where he, and only he, got cookies? If nothing else, that would be suspicious since The Child is wanted. Those cookies could have been drugged for all he knew. If he did get an answer, then he let The Child keep his stolen cookies.

I was also surprised to see so many people here calling the other kid selfish, as if The Child had a right to the cookies.

Okay, new theory:

The Imperium didn't fall because it was too large, dictatorial and would stuff any idiot into a stormtrooper uniform; it fell because all the competent people fell into pits unprotected by guard rails! What did the Imperium have against guard rails, anyway??

Great episode, nothing too heavy, just action from start to finish, with just a little goose to the overarching story arc. Just lots of fun from beginning to end.

Oh, and Baby Yoda continues to be a little cookie-stealing stinker! The arms-up 'whee!' as Mando flew desperate evasive maneuvers was great, and the blue urp-up after it was over was hysterical.  Glad to see Blue Guy, Greef and Cara again, and to see Greef has definitely come over to the side of the good guys (for now, anyway). His squealing over Baby was adorable. It sucks that Gina Carano's been so irresponsible in her pandemic tweets (that goes beyond politics because it's downright dangerous) because I really like her character.

Also, for a defeated empire, there sure are a lot of active Imperial bases and soldiers still out there. But I guess it's a big galaxy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Meushell said:

I was also surprised to see so many people here calling the other kid selfish, as if The Child had a right to the cookies.

Well, he is an older boy and at that age he should have the emotional maturity to share his treats with a little one.  Maybe he is an only child.  Any kid with younger siblings would have learned that it's better to share - even if it's just to avoid tears, temper tantrums and getting lectured by the parents.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Gummo said:

Also, for a defeated empire, there sure are a lot of active Imperial bases and soldiers still out there. But I guess it's a big galaxy.

The Outer Rim is the equivalent of Argentina circa 1945...

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Well, he is an older boy and at that age he should have the emotional maturity to share his treats with a little one.  Maybe he is an only child.  Any kid with younger siblings would have learned that it's better to share - even if it's just to avoid tears, temper tantrums and getting lectured by the parents.

Having siblings also teaches you to protect what matters to you and not everything needs to be shared. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

Having siblings also teaches you to protect what matters to you and not everything needs to be shared. 

That would depend on what age the siblings are. And what the thing is they are not willing to share.  If the siblings are of similar age and older than toddlers or babies that may be so. 

How old was the boy on the show?  I would guess at least ten.  If that was my child and I saw him using that nasty tone  to deny a toddler a little treat like a cookie I would start to wonder about the boy.  A cookie is not some prized possession.

Smiles. Or it shouldn't be unless you are a precocious toddler....

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Meushell said:

The other kid seemed to enjoy having something that Lil' Oda wanted. Most of the cookies never seemed to make it into that kid's mouth. I am sure he wasn't supposed to be eating in class, so he couldn't tell the teacher what happened.

My poor memory remembers that Lil' Oda is around 40 years old. I have nothing to back that up.  Lil' Oda should look the same for all 10 seasons the show is on.

51 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

My poor memory remembers that Lil' Oda is around 40 years old. I have nothing to back that up.  Lil' Oda should look the same for all 10 seasons the show is on.

He is 50.  Yoda was about 900 when he died.  Some people smarter than me  worked out that makes the child about toddler age in human years.

2 hours ago, magdalene said:

How old was the boy on the show?  I would guess at least ten.  If that was my child and I saw him using that nasty tone  to deny a toddler a little treat like a cookie I would start to wonder about the boy.  A cookie is not some prized possession.

I really disagree. Food is the number 1 thing I see siblings protect from their siblings because it’s finite. In my experience, younger siblings and only children are way more generous with food than older siblings. They also are frequently willing to share but a favorite food or particular treat is way less freely given. 

That kid was under no obligation to share and toddlers have to learn not everything needs to be or should be shared. I also didn’t consider it to be a nasty tone. I felt for that kid. Here he is enjoying his delicious treat surrounded by kids around the same age and he ends up with an adorable toddler given him sad eyes over his snack. I’ve been it that position and it’s uncomfortable. 

2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The other kid seemed to enjoy having something that Lil' Oda wanted. Most of the cookies never seemed to make it into that kid's mouth. I am sure he wasn't supposed to be eating in class, so he couldn't tell the teacher what happened.

It’s interesting how different people see things differently. I thought the kid looked uncomfortable with the Child’s staring and begging. He was eating them through the entire scene. 

Edited by Guest

Oh, I don't think that poor kid owed Baby Yoda anything, including his cookies. But Baby, being the selfish -- and insatiably hungry! -- toddler he is, just took'em.

Isn't it about time for Mando to give the kid a name? How much longer can he call him "Kid"? Even "Junior" would be an improvement.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Dani said:

I really disagree. That kid was under no obligation to share and toddlers have to learn not everything needs to be or should be shared. I also didn’t consider it to be a nasty tone. 

Toddlers cannot reason the same way adults and older children can.  In my family we were taught to protect the little ones, make allowances and rise above things that happen when you have a small child in the house.  Obviously I would not just allow the little one to get away with everything.  You have to stop them when they do dangerous things that can hurt them.  And also obviously you start teaching them right from wrong when they are old enough to grasp the concept.

Obviously we have different views and that's okay.

1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

I don't know if he enjoyed it but he certainly wasn't very gracious  about the whole thing. Or generous.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Toddlers cannot reason the same way adults and older children can.  In my family we were taught to protect the little ones, make allowances and rise above things that happen when you have a small child in the house.  Obviously I would not just allow the little one to get away with everything.  You have to stop them when they do dangerous things that can hurt them.  And also obviously you start teaching them right from wrong when they are old enough to grasp the concept.

I agree with everything you said but The Child is old enough to understand right from wrong and to understand the word no. He didn’t do anything wrong and, in my opinion, neither did the little boy. 

I’m curious if this coming up repeatedly in the show is just moments of the Child being adorable or if they are building to a specific point. 

I was wondering whether the Child's appetite this season is leading to something specific - like a big increase in Force powers for example.

And when is the child going to get a name?  He needs a name.   They have chosen a name.   People like Taika Waititi have known the name since season 1.

6 hours ago, Meushell said:

I understand  that, and I don’t blame him because of that. I wasn’t expecting him to have them after class. Didn’t Din wonder where he, and only he, got cookies? If nothing else, that would be suspicious since The Child is wanted. Those cookies could have been drugged for all he knew. If he did get an answer, then he let The Child keep his stolen cookies.

Nobody said the Baby had a right to the macarons, it’s just sharing is the kind thing to do. Or at least that’s what I was taught.

6 hours ago, Gummo said:

Okay, new theory:

The Imperium didn't fall because it was too large, dictatorial and would stuff any idiot into a stormtrooper uniform; it fell because all the competent people fell into pits unprotected by guard rails! What did the Imperium have against guard rails, anyway??

No Imperial OSHA, I guess. 😏

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Navarro is still clearly a poor struggling place.   Having a school, and the kids have the freedom to attend instead of needing to work to help their families is a BIG DEAL.    For all we know the kid saved his pocket money for weeks to buy those cookies.   then some new kid pops up and says "I want some too."   No the child did not HAVE to share.   Everything does not have to shared.   Insisting you MUST share is not fair either.   It's jsut a way to bully to get your own way "Little Johnny wooooooon't share with meeeeeeeee."    In this case, this kid didn't even know Baby Yoda.   Why should he have to share with some stranger just because the stranger wanted what he had?  Yoda needs to be taught boundaries.   That is part of being a parent.   Just because someone has something you want doesn't mean they have to share.   Just because you see something you want, doesn't mean you can take it.   Sure toddlers are adorable and you must make allowances, but the way you teach them is to say No sometimes.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, merylinkid said:

Just because someone has something you want doesn't mean they have to share.   Just because you see something you want, doesn't mean you can take it. 

He is on strike 2...He took eggs after being told no...Then he took cookies...Next time there will be consequences

• Love 1

When I was in school a student wasn't allowed to eat in class unless they brought enough for everyone.  Kids who ate in class (usually candy) either sat in the back and sneaked it when no one was looking, or asked to go to the bathroom and scarfed it down on the way.  If caught, the student had the food confiscated by the the teacher and it was returned at the end of class.  Apparently the teacher droid wasn't programmed for dealing with that sort of thing.

So this kid is eating cookies and seems to be enjoying having the toddler want one and not sharing.  I'm assuming that he didn't see the cookies fly over to Baby, and thought that Baby was able to reach over and take them while he was looking away.  They're on a rough planet.  Until recently, shrinking violets who asked nicely might have not fared well.  Just because things are improving, the lessons of the past might have instilled in the kid that you don't share without a reason, like "If I give you this, what can you give me in return?"  If someone was able to get what they want through stealth, you kind of had to admire them for it.

Maybe in a few years, if Baby were once again dumped in a classroom and the kid next to him was eating something that looked interesting, the kid would tell Baby "I don't know if your species can eat these.  They might make you sick.  I'll put them up and when the guy you came with comes back, I'll ask him if it's OK to give you some."

Right now Baby's at a point where he can understand basic language even if he's not speaking yet.  He knows that some things are a no-no, but instead of throwing a fit, he's learned to be sneaky.  He tries being cute and adorable, and when that doesn't work?  Well, stealth it is.  He's not any more of an asshole than any average human child in that stage of life.  

The problem is, Baby is not human.  He's smarter than a human child at that stage of development, and he has the Force working for him.  We don't know how his species develops.  This is why it's imperative for Mando to find Baby's people, or at least people who know more of species.

Until then, Mando really needs to have a diaper bag.  Baby might be potty trained, but having a bag with foods that Baby craves is a good idea.  Pack bone broth, meat, maybe a container of live food for treats.  Add one of Mando's used capes as a comfort item or blankie.  Approved toys, etc.  A list of do's and don'ts for caregivers.  As much as Mando wants to keep Baby with him at all times, he's had to leave Baby in the care of others in the last two episodes.  Be prepared, Mando!

• Love 8

Cute to see baby Yoda finally do something with the Force, even if it was just to steal a macaron.  I wish there was more of that.

I don't let my young kids watch Mando with me, but I found it cute this weekend when my 2 year old saw a Baby Yoda in a catalog and shouted out in glee "Baby Yoda!"

I realize this isn't going to be Star Wars movie level type production.   And now looking at the white/red block buttons on doors from the early Star Wars movies, and how they just push buttons randomly to get them to open, yes, it seems silly.  But my biggest problem with this show is the writing.  Seems like each episode is: Mando needs to take Baby Yoda somewhere to meet somebody who will help him find out where Baby Yoda needs to go.  When Mando gets to this destination, there is some other completely uninvolved task that needs to be done with others who are there.  After the task is done, he gets told, "OK, take Baby Yoda to planet XYZ and look for ABC in the city of LMNOP."  Closing credits.

• Love 2

In my defense,  I do know the difference between Macaroons and macarons.  In fact I was thinking macaron when I was typing, but whether my fingers didn't cooperate or spellcheck who knows.  In fact we use to sell macarons that looked exactly what Baby was eating. 

So I apologize that my fingers didn't cooperate with what my brain was thinking. 

16 hours ago, hurrrz said:

They will definitely sell blue macarons at Galaxy's Edge in the parks, won't they? This felt like such a (dare I say) forced commercial drop for the parks. 😄

The roasting meat with a rocket engine was already at the park well before that episode aired

Edited by paigow
20 hours ago, Dani said:

I’m curious if this coming up repeatedly in the show is just moments of the Child being adorable or if they are building to a specific point. 

Baby Yoda is a dick...there's a little Sith Lord in there. 😁

He wanted the cookie, he took the cookie (hello, spoiled!), he wanted Frog Lady's eggs, he ate her eggs even though he was told no repeatedly. He even had a little smirk on his face when he ate that last one at the end of 2.2. We saw this as far as back S1, when Baby Yoda Force Choked Cara for no reason. 

I'm not hating or blaming the kid, he's a baby and, half the time I laugh at his antics but, I still acknowledge that he's a dick 😁.

I'm going to assume that while it's humor related they will play up the whole light/dark side of the force. With him throwing Force Related temper tantrums. 😂

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Baby Yoda is a dick...there's a little Sith Lord in there. 😁

He wanted the cookie, he took the cookie (hello, spoiled!), he wanted Frog Lady's eggs, he ate her eggs even though he was told no repeatedly. He even had a little smirk on his face when he ate that last one at the end of 2.2. We saw this as far as back S1, when Baby Yoda Force Choked Cara for no reason. 

In defense of the little dick - it was implied that he had gotten the arm-wrestling wrong and saw Cara as a threat to Mando.

But I'm sure all those little incidents are not just there simply for cuteness sake - there's a build-up to the moment Baby Yoda will do something that makes Mando realize he's in over his head. I guess he probably knows already but not to the full extent. Imagine Baby Yoda had used the Force not to get the macarons but to exact revenge on the little jerk who could not be manipulated into sharing. Baby Yoda is a toddler with a toddler's shaky grasp on ethics but with something more impressive than temper tantrums at hand to make his point.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

In the defense of the little dick - it was implied that he had gotten the arm-wrestling wrong and saw Cara as a threat to Mando.

True which is why I said I wasn't hating or blaming him, he's a baby. 

In that scene he did look quite evil it's why I assume they are building up to a light/dark side storyline. 

1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

Baby Yoda is a toddler with a toddler's shaky grasp on ethics but with something more impressive than temper tantrums at hand to make his point.

That's it, exactly!

If not at Galaxy's Edge, at least they will sell through Williams Sonoma.  

Nevarro Nummies™ Macarons  "Inspired by a sweet moment when a young Nevarro student debated sharing his treats with the Child, 21st-century artisans in California have created these ethereal French-style almond macarons capturing the essence of this scene with Nevarro Nummies™. For authentic galactic flavor, each exquisite treat is artfully hand-piped with a rich, creamy vanilla filling." However, they are selling for the excessive price of $50, so I'm going to stick to my local non-tie-in version.

macarons.thumb.jpg.c90f0937faff415bfc3b10fcc5547cfc.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Epeolatrix said:

If not at Galaxy's Edge, at least they will sell through Williams Sonoma.  

Nevarro Nummies™ Macarons  "Inspired by a sweet moment when a young Nevarro student debated sharing his treats with the Child, 21st-century artisans in California have created these ethereal French-style almond macarons capturing the essence of this scene with Nevarro Nummies™. For authentic galactic flavor, each exquisite treat is artfully hand-piped with a rich, creamy vanilla filling." However, they are selling for the excessive price of $50, so I'm going to stick to my local non-tie-in version.

macarons.thumb.jpg.c90f0937faff415bfc3b10fcc5547cfc.jpg

Yeah, the price is excessive. But the screen cap above as well as the others on the cookie site are too adorable. ♥

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Epeolatrix said:

However, they are selling for the excessive price of $50, so I'm going to stick to my local non-tie-in version.

12 macarons for $50?! That's a very pricey treat indeed. The other Stars Wars macarons and the Baby Yoda cookie they have on the site are also very cute, but again, too expensive for me.

8 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yeah, the price is excessive. But the screen cap above as well as the others on the cookie site are too adorable. ♥

Smart of them to not use a screen cap of him throwing them up! 😆

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

12 macarons for $50?! That's a very pricey treat indeed. The other Stars Wars macarons and the Baby Yoda cookie they have on the site are also very cute, but again, too expensive for me.

There's a local bakery that sells them for - I think - $6 each.  So maybe $50 for 12 is a deal? 🤣

42 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

They lost me when they decided to flavor them with almond.  Well, that and the price.

Almost all macarons are made with almond flour. 

2 minutes ago, magdalene said:

You can also make them yourself if you have a mixer and an oven.

You make it sound so easy when they are notoriously difficult to get right. 

2 hours ago, Dani said:

You make it sound so easy when they are notoriously difficult to get right

Well, I am not saying they would turn out like a French bakers.  The ones my mother made turned out pretty decent for a first try.   There were a few hick-ups and they looked somewhat - let's say unconventional.  But we didn't have to spend $50 on them and they tasted good.

• Love 1

I checked some local bakeries, and they seem to go for $2 each around here. But, you can buy frozen ones from Target: 12 for $7! 😆  However I really want to get some blue ones to give to some Mando fans I know. I guess I might have to try to make some myself!

Getting back to the show, I discovered, thanks to Reddit, that the thingy the x-wing pilot gave Cara is a badge, that she then wears on her belt. Maybe it's some kind of New Republic police badge. I originally thought it was a communicator. I suppose it could also still be that.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Dani said:

Almost all macarons are made with almond flour. 

You make it sound so easy when they are notoriously difficult to get right. 

I watch a lot of Food Network baking shows, and they do seem to be challenging to get right. Very tasty though.