Type keyword(s) to search

Series 13 Production News, Spoilers, Speculation Discussion

DanaK
  • Start Topic

Thank you. This all looks very interesting, particularly:

55 minutes ago, DanaK said:

The third chapter is very serialized, connecting to everything that's gone before it. Strevens says when he got the script for that episode, he was blown away. It was a form of storytelling they haven't done before. It's similar to some of the stories he loves, like Marvel's way of telling stories, the way they parcel out info and things can seem incredibly random and abstract, but they aren't in the end. They are part of a very cohesive whole, but you don't get served that straight away

I like this kind of storytelling, so I am all up for it.

This is a bit worrying though:

57 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Chibnall is staying tight-lipped about the momentous events that unfold in Chapter Six, but hints that he's taken a typically fearless approach to the season finale, saying "This show has so much untapped potential. There are so many things you can do with it. You have to take risks..."

Please no more shocking revelations for the sake of shock.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, JustHereForFood said:

Thank you. This all looks very interesting, particularly:

I like this kind of storytelling, so I am all up for it.

This is a bit worrying though:

Please no more shocking revelations for the sake of shock.

It does sound quite interesting and exciting, and, though I don't normally binge-watch streaming shows, I wish it was all available to stream immediately so I could consume it in a couple of days. But it's not, so I have to wait a week for each episode and I don't want to for this season. So far I'm loving it; I just hope it doesn't get completely incomprehensible, especially Episode 3.

I started to watch it this past weekend via streaming service AMC+ via my Roku streaming device and the sound is definitely better and there's just a couple of short promos for AMC+ so I can get through it quicker and have a more enjoyable experience than watching via BBC America on TV

I fully expect at least a few of the recurring guest characters to kick the bucket

• Love 1

Episode 6 is titled “Chapter Six: The Vanquishers” and will be broadcast December 5

ETA: The episode is set for 6:20pm on BBC in the UK (and 8pm ET on BBC America in the US) and will run for 59 minutes

Synopsis:

In the final epic chapter in the story of the Flux, all hope is lost. The forces of darkness are in control. But when the monsters have won, who can you count upon to save the universe?

Edited by DanaK

Mid-series trailer, though it mostly seems like a review of what's happened already plus scenes from the next episode. The only "new" thing seems to be a quick shot of Yaz in period costume towards the end

5 hours ago, DanaK said:

More than a few fans have speculated that, but I think it's just grasping for straws (but we're only halfway through the season)

The one thing that gave me pause was Bel saying to herself/Tigmi “Wonder if he looks different?”  😮

The Doctor Who Twitter account put out a top level description of the Centenary special yesterday (or at midnight UK time), likely because the BBC sent out a press release about their programming plans for their Centenary celebration

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 1

Stupid question here: Can someone explain why do they call it Centenary special? Dictionary tells me that it mean a celebration of hundred years, but Doctor Who is not 60 years old yet and not even television itself is 100 years old yet. And I'm sure that number of episodes has passed 100 a very long time ago.

5 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

Stupid question here: Can someone explain why do they call it Centenary special? Dictionary tells me that it mean a celebration of hundred years, but Doctor Who is not 60 years old yet and not even television itself is 100 years old yet. And I'm sure that number of episodes has passed 100 a very long time ago.

The centenary celebration in question is for the BBC (which started out as a radio broadcaster), not for Doctor Who. That wasn't made clear in the posts above :)

Edited by Llywela
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Llywela said:

The centenary celebration in question is for the BBC (which started out as a radio broadcaster), not for Doctor Who. That wasn't made clear in the posts above :)

Thanks. I wouldn't make the connection to the radio. Also didn't know it was that old, that's pretty impressive.

2 hours ago, DanaK said:

Another cast challenge, this time don’t blink

If you are wearing really dark sunglasses can the angels tell if you blink? Welding masks? Are they sensitized to the sound of eyelashes fluttering since they have their hands over their eyes? On chthulu world do they look look tentacled statues?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Next time trailer for Episode 5, "Survivors of the Flux"

Don't blink, that was Kate Stewart that Craig Parkinson was talking to at 17 seconds in

Edited by DanaK

Trailer for Episode 6, The Vanquishers

ETA:

Here's the second trailer, the one that BBC America showed right after its US broadcast. It seems to have less of the good stuff that the first one has

Edited by DanaK

For those interested, the next issue of Doctor Who Magazine, available Thursday, will have the following Series 13 items:

- Interviews with Series 13’s directors, Jamie Magnus Stone and Azhur Saleem.

- An interview with Annabel Scholey, who played Claire in Flux.

- In the first installment of a two-part feature, costume designer Ray Holman discusses his creations for Series 13

There were some panels and interviews at the Gallifrey One convention in Los Angeles California this weekend that included discussion on Series 13: Flux and Thasmin

First, Matt Strevens did an interview on stage early on with podcaster Radio Free Skaro (his interview starts about 20 minutes in) https://radiofreeskaro.com/2022/02/18/radio-free-skaro-838-radio-free-skaro-in-flux/

Some tidbits:

Per Strevens, Thasmin wasn't planned from the beginning but Jodie brought it up after Series 11 saying she heard it was being speculated about on social media but the writers didn't really follow up at the time. At some point, Chibnall decided to include it. Mandip Gill said during another panel that she had decided early on to act as if she was falling for the Doctor over time even if it wasn't in the scripts

Per Strevens, Flux was heavily influenced by Classic Who and its structure. All of Flux was planned after the pandemic hit and they had to throw out what they had previously planned and wasn't a story that was cut down due to filming restrictions, The adventures of Yaz, Dan and Jericho weren't planned and Jericho wasn't planned to continue after Angels, but they liked McNally so much they couldn't resist expanding on him

Mandip said she wanted to do different accents in Once, Upon Time (for her different characters she was playing I presume), but was told no. Her head was so messed up after being upside down so long (in Halloween Apocalypse) that she went to the wrong flat in the wrong building afterwards. She confirms the plan from the beginning was always for Graham and Ryan to leave after Series 12 and that Yaz would stay on with The Doctor longer. Re: Yaz’s love for Thirteen, Mandip hopes that you can look back at the whole series and see that it was there from the beginning, that her admiration for the Doctor slowly turned to love and it was an intentional choice on her part.

• Love 4