Type keyword(s) to search

Series 13 Production News, Spoilers, Speculation Discussion

DanaK
  • Start Topic

Since they have started filming Series 13, I think it's safe to start a topic about it, even if Chibnall won't likely let much news leak through

Per the Mirror https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-whos-new-series-less-22994454 and other media, they have started filming Series 13 as of the week of November 11 (and possibly actually starting a week before that based on slate information). It will have 8 episodes, cut down from 11 episodes due to Covid protocols that add time and money to each episode. It's planned to shoot for the usual 10 months and to air late next year (2021) barring any set shutdowns for health reasons

Jodie Whittaker is returning as the Doctor as expected and it looks like Mandip Gill will return as Yaz Khan, with Bradley Walsh and Tosin Cole not returning, but the companion stuff has not been officially announced yet. However, Jodie and Mandip did a recent Children in Need segment from the set dressed in their costumes to announce a contest for a future set visit, so it suggests Mandip is definitely returning

Per posters on Gallifrey Base, there are reports of recent filming in South Wales, including a quarry location, spotting of the Tardis and possible pig-like aliens, along with some night shooting

Previously, there was a sighting of an actress' CV indicating a guest role in Who of Mary Seacole; if it's the same as the historical person, she was a British-Jamaican nurse who worked in the Crimean War. If so, we may be getting an interesting historical episode

• Love 1
17 hours ago, DanaK said:

Previously, there was a sighting of an actress' CV indicating a guest role in Who of Mary Seacole; if it's the same as the historical person, she was a British-Jamaican nurse who worked in the Crimean War. If so, we may be getting an interesting historical episode

A Mary Seacole story would be brilliant - she had quite the life story.

Per Cultbox, showrunner Chris Chibnall provided an update to Radio Times on the challenges of filming Series 13 during a pandemic https://cultbox.co.uk/news/doctor-who-series-13-showrunner-and-executive-producer-provide-update

The highlights:

Scripts needed to be rewritten and there's no foreign location filming planned for the series

Per Chibnall:

"Basically, for the past six months we’ve been going, ‘How do we make Doctor Who in the middle of a pandemic? We had to re-interrogate absolutely everything. We couldn’t do Spyfall this year. We won’t be able to do overseas filming. Editorially, production-wise, logistically, health and safety-wise, it’s had a massive impact. But where we are is incredibly exciting. As much as possible at the moment everybody’s smiling, and we’ve got some really lovely, great, mad scary ideas.”

Executive Producer Matt Strevens gave Radio Times his assurance that filming during a pandemic will not affect the quality of the series, which was shortened from the typical eleven episodes to eight episodes, a goal they felt they could reasonably achieve due to pandemic health and safety precautions slowing production.

“The biggest thing is that when series 13 finally does air, whenever that is, we never want people to watch it under the caveat of Covid, going, ‘Ah, well, but they made this during the pandemic.’ We want to make sure that when you watch it, it’s – no pun intended – timeless, and feels as exciting and as high-end as we’ve tried to make the series since we took over. That was the driving impulse behind looking at the narratives and reducing the number of episodes slightly: we want to make sure we can give people the biggest production values possible.”

Chibnall hopes to “bring a smile to people’s faces” and “a bit of dread in their hearts for monsters.”

“Yes, more monsters are coming back. There are one who’ve appeared over the past 15 years that are deserving of another visit in the next series. In fact, they’re probably formulating their plans as we speak…”

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 3
On 11/27/2020 at 2:41 PM, DanaK said:

“The biggest thing is that when series 13 finally does air, whenever that is, we never want people to watch it under the caveat of Covid, going, ‘Ah, well, but they made this during the pandemic.’

I can deal with it being under the caveat of Covid.  It's been tougher the past couple of seasons watching it under the caveat of Chibnall.  "Ah, well, it's a Chibnall episode."  If the lack of foreign location shots is the only so-called weakness next season, I'll take it as a win.

On 11/27/2020 at 2:41 PM, DanaK said:

“Yes, more monsters are coming back. There are one who’ve appeared over the past 15 years that are deserving of another visit in the next series. In fact, they’re probably formulating their plans as we speak…”

Has there been any speculation on which 'monster' this is?

• Love 1
(edited)
57 minutes ago, ElleryAnne said:

Has there been any speculation on which 'monster' this is?

Probably a typo that was meant to be "ones" referring to several types

Edited by DanaK
4 hours ago, ElleryAnne said:

I can deal with it being under the caveat of Covid.  It's been tougher the past couple of seasons watching it under the caveat of Chibnall.  "Ah, well, it's a Chibnall episode."  If the lack of foreign location shots is the only so-called weakness next season, I'll take it as a win.

Very good point. The Chibnall era is something to be endured, or got through, not entertained by.

Still can't identify the street. I want to say Grangetown based on the lights in the distance, but honestly, it could be anywhere in the city. Seems like forever since I last got to see them filming for myself. Capaldi was still in the hot seat!

Edited by Llywela

A couple of items to note: It looks like Jamie Magnus Stone has returned to direct at least one episode and comedian John Bishop guest stars in an episode, apparently spotted in the episode being filmed now

12 hours ago, Llywela said:

Still can't identify the street. I want to say Grangetown based on the lights in the distance, but honestly, it could be anywhere in the city. Seems like forever since I last got to see them filming for myself. Capaldi was still in the hot seat!

A poster on the GallifreyBase forum believes it's the Grangetown district as well

A possible big spoiler though it could turn out to be nonsense. I'm sure some of you guys have caught wind of this, but a possible Weeping Angel statue was seen on a road in Penarth (in Cardiff according to the article) near a film crew. It's not known if the crew was with Doctor Who or some other activity like a game or something. Cultbox did an article on it and included the fan pictures https://cultbox.co.uk/news/doctor-whos-weeping-angels-filmed-in-cardiff

It seems a little suspect to me that it's Series 13-related since no one is sure who the film crew was with and the statue was in plain view on the street

Edited by DanaK
17 hours ago, DanaK said:

A possible big spoiler though it could turn out to be nonsense. I'm sure some of you guys have caught wind of this, but a possible Weeping Angel statue was seen on a road in Penarth (in Cardiff according to the article) near a film crew. It's not known if the crew was with Doctor Who or some other activity like a game or something. Cultbox did an article on it and included the fan pictures https://cultbox.co.uk/news/doctor-whos-weeping-angels-filmed-in-cardiff

It seems a little suspect to me that it's Series 13-related since no one is sure who the film crew was with and the statue was in plain view on the street

Hmm. Potentially interesting. If they are bringing the Weeping Angels back, I hope they reclaim their original mystique - they were watered down more and more with each successive appearance over the years. I want original recipe Weeping Angels, please! But all kinds of things get filmed along here, so we'll have to wait and see.

(Just to note that Penarth is not in Cardiff, however, the residents would be very cross to hear that description. It is the next town along the coast, in a different unitary authority entirely. Walkable from Cardiff, but not in Cardiff.)

• Love 1

A UK talent agency (I assume) called The Agency is indicating that a client Azhur Saleem is set to direct 3 episodes of Series 13. I don't know the gentleman but I'm not British. The tweet includes a comment with a tweet by Saleem where he says he's set to direct a TV episode. The comments suggest this would be his first Who directing gig (makes me wonder why they would give 3 episodes to a director on his first major directing gig)  https://twitter.com/Ruther2/status/1338846875911385089/photo/1

Edited by DanaK

Jodie Whittaker did an interview with Emily Cook for Doctor Who Magazine's 2021 Yearbook special (now available in hardcopy and digitally) and Cultbox has excerpts of it where she talks about working on set for Series 13 through the pandemic where she says "she feels really looked after" https://cultbox.co.uk/news/jodie-whittaker-feels-really-looked-after-on-the-doctor-who-set

In an interview with US publication Entertainment Weekly, show runner Chris Chibnall talks both about the upcoming special (so possible spoilers) and Series 13. In regards to S13, he says he's got an idea when S13 will premiere, but he can't tell because, he joked, BBC Chief Content Officer Charlotte Moore would have his ahead. But he promised it will be broadcast as soon as they finish it https://ew.com/tv/doctor-who-holiday-special-jodie-whittaker-chris-chibnall/

Cultbox has excerpts from a Total TV Guide interview with Chibnall. In regards to Series 13, Chibnall talks about the challenge of making the show in these Covid times but that they want to get the show back on the air and making sure the crew has jobs, plus he also feels a responsibility to every 8 year old in the country that there be a series of Doctor Who in 2021. So it does look like they are aiming for mid to late Fall (Autumn) 2021 for Series 13 to premiere https://cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/doctor-who-series-13-showrunner-talks-of-2021-premiere

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 1
On 1/2/2021 at 3:20 AM, DanaK said:

Per Deadline.com, comedian/actor John Bishop is joining the cast in Series 13 as a new companion named Dan https://deadline.com/2021/01/doctor-who-john-bishop-joins-the-tardis-season-13-1234663916/

John apparently had Covid at Christmastime so I hope he recovers quickly and doesn't suffer lingering effects

Yes, there was a little trailer for the character aired immediately after the New Year's special. I know who John Bishop is, although I've never watched any of his work, but such an early trailer for a new companion - months before they will be introduced in an actual episode - felt a bit uncomfortable, as if the Powers That Be felt they couldn't possibly let the audience go so long without reassurance that there will indeed be another middle aged white man aboard the TARDIS again next season. And I just...would rather not, thanks. Let Yaz and the Doctor have some time alone - Yaz needs a bit of solo time to get some meatier development in!

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 2

I only know John Bishop from his appearances on The Graham Norton Show, and man - I hope he tones down that accent.  🤣 I don’t usually have a problem understanding different accents but he was frequently indecipherable to me. 

• LOL 1
42 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

I only know John Bishop from his appearances on The Graham Norton Show, and man - I hope he tones down that accent.  🤣 I don’t usually have a problem understanding different accents but he was frequently indecipherable to me. 

That's why I have subtitles turned on when I watch Doctor Who. I can't understand half of what's being said otherwise. Yaz/Mandip is really hard to understand at times

(edited)

A supposed tidbit from John Bishop about the first episode

There is supposedly video of the Q&A, but it’s not being shared at this time

Edited by DanaK
10 hours ago, DanaK said:

Per Cultbox, more Weeping Angels filming, this time at Friars Point House in Barry https://cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/doctor-who-series-13-filming-at-friars-point-house-in-barry

*weeps because I live half an hour down the road from Barry but can't visit because pandemic* I miss that beach!

On topic: looking forward to a new Weeping Angel story, but cautiously, because I've learned not to trust these writers.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Llywela said:

*weeps because I live half an hour down the road from Barry but can't visit because pandemic* I miss that beach!

On topic: looking forward to a new Weeping Angel story, but cautiously, because I've learned not to trust these writers.

I’m sorry you feel that way, because I think Chibnall/Jodie’s era has had interesting takes on Daleks & Cybermen and very good historicals, among other things, so I feel they will likely do a good take on the Angels

• LOL 1
15 minutes ago, DanaK said:

I’m sorry you feel that way, because I think Chibnall/Jodie’s era has had interesting takes on Daleks & Cybermen and very good historicals, among other things, so I feel they will likely do a good take on the Angels

I hope so! I think I have a slight case of Weeping Angel burnout, but that is mostly a Moffat issue. I hope this new story manages to pull back some of the inconsistencies he introduced.

5 hours ago, Llywela said:

I hope so! I think I have a slight case of Weeping Angel burnout, but that is mostly a Moffat issue. I hope this new story manages to pull back some of the inconsistencies he introduced.

Oh, I completely understand on that issue. I think Moffat did maybe do too many takes on the Angels. But they've been rested for a few years and hopefully Chibnall has a new, interesting take on them. I'm hopeful given the time that has gone by and the takes he's done on the Daleks and Cybermen

(edited)
4 hours ago, benteen said:

I hated the Timeless Child storyline but otherwise, I thought last season was really, really good.

I liked both seasons so far, but I enjoyed Series 12 more and thought it was definitely better with higher stakes and surprises. I hope Series 13 is a few steps up from that, whether it's Jodie's last season or not. I can't wait to see what they do with the Weeping Angels and the Crimean War could be interesting. I'm a bit neutral on Sontarans, but I look forward to seeing what's done with them

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 2

New cast member John Bishop was on Channel 4’s Sunday Brunch this past Sunday. A poster on Gallifrey Base summed it up, with John saying he had been in initial discussions for a role, but that the schedule for his comedy tour clashed. When his tour was canceled due to the pandemic, he got back in touch with the producers and was able to take the role. He is set to film until July (it wasn’t clear if that’s just him or the show in general, but probably the show) and his stand up tour will be in September. He also said Series 13 is set to be broadcast in the Autumn (Fall)

Per Cultbox, some filming was going on in Porthkerry, with someone able to capture video of a woman apparently being chased by a drone (which could be replaced by special effects possibly in the final cut) https://cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/doctor-who-series-13-filming-in-porthkerry

Edited by DanaK
On 2/19/2021 at 8:11 PM, DanaK said:

Per Cultbox, the latest filming was at Wales Millennium Center with filming taking place in the bar, which appeared to be dressed up like a futuristic alien bar https://cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/doctor-who-series-13-filming-at-wales-millennium-centre

It's a good time to be filming at locations like that, since they are all closed due to lockdown. I can't look at location pics - all those places I love but can't visit right now!

Per Cultbox, they were filming at Atlantic College on March 17 https://cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/doctor-who-series-13-filming-at-atlantic-college

There was some filming in front of an old stone house on campus and in front of a silver Daimler luxury car that was possibly from the late 60s/early 70s

There was also some filming at Cardiff City Hall on March 8, where apparently Mandip and Game of Thrones actor Jacob Anderson (who also played on Broadchurch) were seen eating lunch, so Anderson may be a guest star

On March 18 the crew was filming interiors at Kongs Cardiff, a bar with arcade games, and The Hayes