Type keyword(s) to search

S32.E06: I'm Not Even Walking, I'm Falling

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

I haven't rewatched, but I could have sworn that the blonde sister (I still don't know who is who, they look identical to me) was saying the letters as she went down the building on her first try.  I don't recall any others commenting on the letters on their first trip down, they were all either freaking out or talking about how cool it was.

I could be wrong about whether it was her first or second try, but if the blonde did indeed make an attempt to remember the letters on her first try, there was either something written in the clue about the letters or she just assumed they would be important.

21 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

I can't remember how Leo and Aparna figured it out - they worked together after everyone else (bar Haley) was gone, right? So one or the other of them must have solved it themselves.

Leo and Aparna both got to the bottom and they decided to work together because they both wanted to stay ahead of the blondes.  I believe they talked to each other to make sure they had the letters correct.  Then I think it was Leo who came up with the answer and gave it to Aparna.  He even asked her if he could go first (I presume since he came up with the word).  I wonder what Aparna thinks of that.  Does that mean a masters degree in poetry (or whatever he actually got) from Harvard is better than an engineering degree from Berkeley?  I'm sure she thinks his poetry degree is useless since it's not analytical or science or math related, so it was interesting to see that someone was smarter than her on that task.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I wonder what Aparna thinks of that.  Does that mean a masters degree in poetry (or whatever he actually got) from Harvard is better than an engineering degree from Berkeley?  I'm sure she thinks his poetry degree is useless since it's not analytical or science or math related, so it was interesting to see that someone was smarter than her on that task.

I think Leo's Master's is in Public Health, from the Harvard School of Public Health, so it's a very analytical degree.  Alana's was a Master's in Literature.

• Love 1

The Speed Bump does seem like the most fair thing they have come up with for non-eliminated teams. I thought the very first one was the most diabolical because it made the team stop and do a tai-chi (sp?) routine. So the only thing they want to do is blow through it quickly and the only thing they can do is move slowly. I think they should all have some element like that. Slog through mud or make them wait for paint to dry or whatever. 

40 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I haven't rewatched, but I could have sworn that the blonde sister (I still don't know who is who, they look identical to me) was saying the letters as she went down the building on her first try.  I don't recall any others commenting on the letters on their first trip down, they were all either freaking out or talking about how cool it was.

I could be wrong about whether it was her first or second try, but if the blonde did indeed make an attempt to remember the letters on her first try, there was either something written in the clue about the letters or she just assumed they would be important.

Haley (they do look slightly different but I admit I often only know who's doing what when they say each other's names) did read off the letters on her first trip down. Leo and Aparna may have also, but I can't remember. The only ones I remember for sure NOT doing it and being caught off guard by the question at the bottom were DeAngelo and the taller beard bro (I can definitely tell the brothers apart -  I can just never remember which name goes with which face/beard).

18 hours ago, I Want My MBTV said:

I don't think the footballs players had any idea that was the only cab there were a lot of cars parked on that street and (as others have mentioned) Hung and Chee ran right passed that one. Also, the boyfriends and beards seemed to find cabs pretty fast so not sure why Hung and Chee had such a problem getting one. Lastly, I understand why Hung waited for D'Angelo but I don't understand why she waited for whichever alliance team came next (can't remember if it was beards or boyfriends) if she were going to share the word  she should have told D'Angelo "I'll give you the word but then you have to wait and give our next alliance team the word" then she and Chee would have still had their lead.  Would they have still run past "the only taxi" quite possibly but at least that would have been a fair way to do it.  Why she only had a problem with NFL when boyfriends and beards got the word from her too and found taxis faster than her I don't know but she's starting to bug and they had been my favorite team.  

I don't dislike the blondes (they're very good sports) but I hate NELs and that they got too of them I was gobsmaked.  The speed bumps are always complete jokes and I don't like the the NEL is not earned. It's not like winning immunity on Top Chef then having the worst dish in the challenge but you can't be eliminated.  It's not earned and as a competitive person it really irritates me.  I also don't understand why if you come in last in a NEL you don't just get a time penalty like you would for skipping a challenge.  When you got to the mat on the next leg Phil would say "you're the 4th team to arrive but I can't check you in until 15 minutes (or however long) has passed" - to me that's the only fair way to do it.  Guess no one asked me though 🙂

Just to be clear, this was not my post that you quoted. I had commented on the post above it (which appears here as mine). My comment was about the fact that Deangelo had told Hung to look for the letters on the way down and I feel that she would not have looked for them if he hadn't.

2 hours ago, blackwing said:

Leo gave her some hint--not the answer--I think he told her she had to pay attention or something?  

Hey, with regard to eye candy, I don't see why we can't admire both Chee *and* deAngelo!  I even think Leo is kind of cute.

Kstar821:

Wait - - is nobody going to talk about the Teledisko?  Why are those not a thing in Philly?  😂

We have to dance in the streets because Gritty won't fit in the booth!  

I loved how happy the punk greeter looked when each team came in!  

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Jobiska said:

Leo gave her some hint--not the answer--I think he told her she had to pay attention or something?  

Hey, with regard to eye candy, I don't see why we can't admire both Chee *and* deAngelo!  I even think Leo is kind of cute.

Kstar821:

We have to dance in the streets because Gritty won't fit in the booth!  

I loved how happy the punk greeter looked when each team came in!  

The Phanatic would not be able to fit, either.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, dgpolo said:
7 hours ago, Subrookie said:

What was the purpose of the yield hourglass if it was a non-elimination round? The only thing that it could effect is who got 1st.

Wrong thread.

The original poster is correct, there WAS a yield in this episode as well, at the hotel.  Gary and DeAngelo were there first, said they weren't going to yield anyone, and then we never saw the yield sign again.  Because of this, the fact that it was a NEL which would have negated any fatal delay caused by the yield did not occur to me.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:
8 hours ago, dgpolo said:
8 hours ago, Subrookie said:

What was the purpose of the yield hourglass if it was a non-elimination round? The only thing that it could effect is who got 1st.

Wrong thread.

The original poster is correct, there WAS a yield in this episode as well, at the hotel.  Gary and DeAngelo were there first, said they weren't going to yield anyone, and then we never saw the yield sign again.  Because of this, the fact that it was a NEL which would have negated any fatal delay caused by the yield did not occur to me.

Ah, I do remember that now! yes that is frustrating! but I think it's happened in the past?

There was no reason for Hung and Chee to wait for the other teams. Tell DeAngelo the mystery word then bounce. I don't think the NFLers "stole" their taxi. Just because they waited around for the other teams to complete the task doesn't mean they get dibs on the first taxi. DeAngelo helped her out by stating she should look for the letters. That was a big time save as she was the only contestant who didn't have to repeat the task. 

This alliance of 5 when 7 teams are left is just nonsensical to me. 

• Love 7
18 hours ago, vousviou said:

I agree that the Speed Bump is a good penalty, and my only complaint is sometimes they're sort of dull.

I don't mind when they're easy to do. I just don't like when they take significantly longer than past speed bumps. I still remember the speed bump that required the non-eliminated team to go get gelato. I was like uh, that's it? That's what I measure other speed bumps against now.

On 11/20/2020 at 12:13 AM, Dani said:

I want to hear more about this! I need details! Right now I'm picturing some random person just grabbing the amazing mat and hauling ass.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Because of this, the fact that it was a NEL which would have negated any fatal delay caused by the yield did not occur to me.

But the Yield isn't designed to be fatal necessarily. It just allows the Yielder to pull ahead of the Yieldee by so many minutes. This can affect who is eliminated, by altering who comes last in the leg. Or change who wins the leg prize. Or just shuffle some mid-field players.

• Love 2

The Yield is available on every leg this time around, non-elim or no, since they designed that hourglass task on the first leg. Sometimes Yields or U-Turns are available only on specific legs. Having it not available on non-elims would be a spoiler for teams and viewers. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

The Yield is available on every leg this time

I did not realize that.  Every time Phil has mentioned it but no one used it, I kept thinking that the producers must be frustrated that they set up the whole task in the mine to get the yield hourglasses with no takers, similar to Ye Olden Dayes when they conceived and prepped a task for a fast forward that no one took.   

Edited by Quilt Fairy

I was reminded of how much I missed this show when yelling "Just do it, you baby!" at my screen while someone rappells down a building and I eat nachos on my couch. Team beardo weirdos for now, and team NFL can miss me with their callousness. Some alliance. I hope it bites them on their toned butts.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Silly Angel said:

Team beardo weirdos for now, and team NFL can miss me with their callousness.

I didn't like them at first, but that was due to my inbred prejudice against any alpha male team.  However, I've found them to be intelligent, decent racers with a good sense of humor.  I'm only hating on Will & Grace at the moment, mostly because they think they're just so precious. 

• Love 4
On 11/19/2020 at 7:47 AM, kstar821 said:Eh.  DeAngelo is my eye candy.  Meow. 😉

Mine too.   Loved that he appeared to have time to get a pedicure along the way.  The orange toenail polish was a pleasant surprise during the beer yoga challenge 

• Love 3
On 11/19/2020 at 1:40 PM, meep.meep said:

I think the blonde sisters also pushed their car to the hotel.  Unless their transmission was seized up, the boyfriends should have received a penalty.

Will answered this on an instagram post:

@jamesmarcusheatherly production gave us those options, run or fix the car. There were no backup cars.

He also swears that the car was 100% broken.

• Useful 1

I usually suck at working out words from jumbled up letters, but for some reason as soon as they showed as the letters I thought Sauerkraut. So it was very satisfying to learn that was the word.

This is the first episode where the alliance has annoyed me, only because it helped so many teams complete a task without any effort.

I may have cheered out loud when The Blondes were saved by the NEL. Initially I had no opinion on them, but they have really grown on me in the way they have approached being last so often. They aren't attacking one another, or blaming each other. They are supportive and enjoying the fact they are on The Race. Will they win, most likely not but its just so nice seeing people having fun as they lose haha.

Out of the 7 teams remaining, I probably don't want Leo and Alana to win the whole Race. They are really rubbing me the wrong way. They seem to want to be the adorkable team but when in fact they are more scheming. And since Australia is about 3 episodes behind, I am trying very very hard not to spoil myself to see if Leo and Alana are still in The Race. First time in ages I have not been spoiled, which is making the episodes a bit more exciting for me than usual, even if the show has lost some of the spark in hard in the earlier seasons.

• Love 1
On 11/28/2020 at 4:37 AM, Bill1978 said:

This is the first episode where the alliance has annoyed me, only because it helped so many teams complete a task without any effort.

Even the teams that got help with unscrambling SAUERKRAUT rappelled down the building at least once. So some effort.

I was afraid the blonde was going to rappel again and was very relieved when she focused on getting help with the puzzle. 

The Hung/D'Angelo misunderstanding was painful for me to watch because I like both teams (actually I like all of the teams in the alliance except the boyfriends) and I can understand both sides of it.

From Hung's perspective she probably thinks she would have gotten the clue on the first go around regardless of D'Amgelo's heads-up and feels like she carried the alliance during that task. She feels like she's owed something and when D'Angelo didn't "pay up" immediately with his cab, she felt like she had been used. She also handicapped her team by waiting for everyone! After she gave D'Angelo the answer which she promised, she should have moved on especially when he said he was waiting for the next team to come down. 

From D'Angelo's perspective, he gave the head's up and probably never imagined that they would pass a taxi if they weren't headed to another one. I feel bad that he doesn't know this is how they feel because it seems like Hung & Chee aren't bringing it to D'Angelo & Gary's attention but I never thought that the alliance would get to the final 5 anyway because whenever you work on group projects (which this is not) you definitely run the risk that someone is not going to pull their weight to your standards.