Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Trini

[In Dev] Wonder Girl (CW)

"‘Wonder Girl’ TV Series With Latina Lead From Dailyn Rodriguez & Berlanti Productions In Works At the CW"

https://deadline.com/2020/11/wonder-girl-tv-series-latina-lead-yara-flor-dailyn-rodriguez-greg-berlanti-productions-the-cw-1234616503/

The network is developing Wonder Girl, a drama series based on the DC characters created by Joëlle Jones. It hails from Queen of the South executive producer/co-showrunner Dailyn Rodriguez and Berlanti Productions.

Written by Rodriguez, Wonder Girl centers on Yara Flor, a Latina Dreamer who was born of an Amazonian Warrior and a Brazilian River God, learns that she is Wonder Girl. With her newfound power must fight the evil forces that would seek to destroy the world.

This would mark the first Latina superhero title character of a DC TV series. Rodriguez, who is the daughter of Cuban immigrants, is executive producing with Berlanti Prods.’ Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter and David Madden. Berlanti Productions produces in association with Warner Bros. Television.

The series tells the backstory/origin story of the DC Comics character of Yara Flor, who was recently revealed as a new Wonder Woman. Yara will make her comic book appearance this January in Future State: Wonder Woman, part of DC’s Future State event written and drawn by Jones.

---

Now they just need to make an Aquaman series, and then all of the Justice League A-Listers will have had a live-action TV show!

ETA: The fact that they are announcing this before the comic book even comes out makes me think this is pretty much going straight to series.

Edited by Trini
  • Like 1

The Yara Flor Wonder Woman is a new character that hasn't even debuted yet, so there isn't that much known about her. So while there will be a few fundamental aspects that are the same, I expect that the TV version and the comic version will not resemble each other.

However, if you did want to know what little there is to know about the comic version:

The blurb from her solo comic:

Deep in the heart of the Amazon rainforest lies a hero of mythic legend…Wonder Woman! But in the absence of Diana, Yara Flor has risen out of obscurity to protect Man's World from the magic that lies within it. Along with her trusty steed, she journeys to the Underworld to rescue one of her Themysciran sisters from the grasp of Hades. Will she unleash the wrath of this god in the process? You won't want to miss this first appearance of a character who will change the history of Wonder Woman forever!

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-comics-january-2021-solicitations-future-state-frankensteined/

ww-a.jpg

And comments about her from one of the DC editors: https://www.ign.com/articles/dc-future-state-crossover-relaunch-superman-batman-2021

A Brand New Wonder Woman

DC fans can expect multiple incarnations of Wonder Woman to take part in Future State, though their respective stories won't all necessarily unfold at the same point in the DC timeline. One of them is a brand new addition to the DCU - a Brazilian heroine named Yara Flor.

"We will eventually discover that there are connections to the other tribes of the Amazons that we have established," said Rich. "Yara does have some connection to the Amazons, and part of what we'll discover in her origin is what activates her position, what makes her Wonder Woman at this time. She's from Brazil, but was an immigrant to America. There's also that element of her story. Even though we'll see her currently active as Wonder Woman, eventually we'll learn what her origin is - partially her figuring out what that means, where she's from, why this is her, how she relates to Diana, how she relates to the other Amazons."

"Joelle was looking at Yara as - she is new to this," continued Rich. "Her humanity is still very much intact and very much important. From a reader standpoint, what does that mean for me when I look at this character? Diana Prince is a goddess, so she's always a bit above us. This is a chance to sort of get back to some of the early roots of Wonder Woman where Diana was trying to be human and trying to learn how to be human. Now we're going the opposite way - how does a human learn how to be a goddess?"

---------

I don't know where they plan to set this series, but I really hope they won't film in Vancouver. It's overused for CW and the DC shows.

• Like 1

I pray this doesnt shoot in Vancouver but I have a feeling it will so they can use the ever popular forest/beach that half the shows use as the homebase for the Amazons. They better allow her to have a good connection to Wonder Woman/Diana. No reason for her to be Wonder Girl without WWs influence.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

I pray this doesnt shoot in Vancouver but I have a feeling it will so they can use the ever popular forest/beach that half the shows use as the homebase for the Amazons. ...

Maybe Atlanta instead, like Black Lightning?  I'm just thinking (hoping?) that Georgia has scenery that looks closer to a tropical rainforest than Canada.

14 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

... They better allow her to have a good connection to Wonder Woman/Diana. No reason for her to be Wonder Girl without WWs influence.

Maybe eventually, but I wouldn't count on it. I'm guessing it's a deal like with CW's Batwoman -- Wonder Woman is gone, for whatever reason, and then someone else (Yara) has to take up the mantle. I bet we'll see a bunch of other Amazons, though. $5 says we see Nubia before Diana.  ... Okay, I wasn't trying to be a downer, LOL. But DC has relaxed about having more than one version of a character out there, so maybe we will see Diana sooner than later.

Edited by Trini · Reason: grammar!

41 minutes ago, Trini said:

Maybe Atlanta instead, like Black Lightning?  I'm just thinking (hoping?) that Georgia has scenery that looks closer to a tropical rainforest than Canada.

Maybe eventually, but I wouldn't count on it. I'm guessing it's a deal like with CW's Batwoman -- Wonder Woman is gone, for whatever reason, and then someone else (Yara) has to take up the mantle. I bet we'll see a bunch of other Amazons, though. $5 says we see Nubia before Diana.  ... Okay, I wasn't trying to be a downer, LOL. But DC has relaxed about having more than one version of an character out there, so maybe we will see Diana sooner than later.

I was actually expecting a Nubia as Wonder Woman series so this surprised me. Just as long as the Themiscryans arent forgotten about and are able to feature, I'll be less annoyed. It's already a bit of overkill that Yara is an Amazon demi goddess like Diana (and Cassie). DC really should've stuck with Dianas clay origin.

12 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

So is she Amazonian like the Women Warriors or like the River, or both?

Sounds like both.