Type keyword(s) to search

Roland: Mayor Of Schitt

Esan
  • Start Topic

On 11/16/2020 at 9:36 PM, Esan said:

In the finale and all of the after-show interviews, Chris Eliot is nowhere and barely mentioned. Why is this? What happened and how could they leave without saying goodbye to him?

Supposedly his daughter Abby wasn't all that missed after her own stint on Saturday Night Live. Maybe the diva gene runs strong.

Personally, I definitely preferred that as the show went on we saw less of Roland. I really didn't like him and my peak enjoyment of Chris Elliot was probably There's Something About Mary.

This character is literally the reason I waited so long to watch the show. I finally binged the whole show in about a week (and that was using some restraint). Years ago I watched the pilot but the Roland Schitt character (and everything Chris Elliot plays, usually) bugged the crap out of me so I didn't continue.

I'm super glad I revisited the show. 

I get that he always plays the fool but all the other main characters had growth except for him. Eugene and Catherine can do that kind of wacky goofy humor too but the show became more subtle as it went on but Roland never changed and at the end it was like he existed on a different show. I'm glad he was in the show less and less. By comparison, Jocelyn was great, she started out pretty campy but develop into a full person. 

• Love 3

I must have started to watch this show four or five times over the years and every time I was so creeped out by Roland I would nope out mid-way through the first episode. Shudder.

My sister convinced me to just get through the first season and she was right...but I still squirm every time he appears. And Jocelyn is way too pretty and smart to ever be believable as his wife, let alone a wife who still has the hots for him.

Blech.

• Love 1
On 4/28/2021 at 10:20 PM, Oldernowiser said:

I must have started to watch this show four or five times over the years and every time I was so creeped out by Roland I would nope out mid-way through the first episode. Shudder.

My sister convinced me to just get through the first season and she was right...but I still squirm every time he appears. And Jocelyn is way too pretty and smart to ever be believable as his wife, let alone a wife who still has the hots for him.

Blech.

Chris Elliott looks like creepy pedophile & serial killer living in his mom's basement or the shed out back.

I hated Roland my first watch through this series (Bob too). Still hated him my 2nd watch through. Now I’ve watched it a 3rd time & I like ALL the characters. 

My favorite part of this show was not the romances. It was the contrast of the Roses & the townspeople of Schitts Creek. Which is probably why I lived Moira’s character so much. Yes, she grew to have some affection for them but she couldn’t wait to get out of there. Season 1 is still my favorite. David’s look of horror esp when interacting with Roland & Jocelyn’s way of life is just too funny! Even in the later seasons “wtf is a sprinkle?”

It would be unrealistic for every character to be like able. If everyone was nice, what would be their reason for wanting to leave the town? Roland’s character represented everything they assumed about small towns        that was repugnant- their clothes, their decor, their food, etc. And deep down Roland was very loyal & welcomed them in from the start.

• Love 1

I thought it interesting that Chris Elliott didn’t appear with the cast at panels or their sweep Emmy awards. Roland was so gross I didn’t mind. These many rewatches later, I understand the role he played but ugh.

• Love 1