Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
ljenkins782

Who's The Boss?

Today had an episode I don't remember seeing before. Angela brought a house as a rental investment. Instead of renting to the retired man who wanted to pay six months rent in advance and provided references, Tony rented to a pretty girl whose check bounced.

I don't think Angela was livid enough. I wanted to smack Tony. This is business. Was Angela suppose to let her live there rent free while she pays the mortgage?

I get that the whole point is the lines were blurred, because he's an employee who also became part of the family, but Angela was asked to shrug off quite a few things that wouldn't have been appropriate for an actual husband to do, let alone Tony.  It matters that it's her house, her business, and her money, and she certainly wasn't going around acting like some imperious lady of the manor treating Tony and Samantha as beneath her and Jonathan, so it pissed me off when she got labeled as uptight (and more gendered terms) when she wanted to be professional about something that requires professionalism.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Bastet said:

I get that the whole point is the lines were blurred, because he's an employee who also became part of the family, but Angela was asked to shrug off quite a few things that wouldn't have been appropriate for an actual husband to do, let alone Tony.  It matters that it's her house, her business, and her money, and she certainly wasn't going around acting like some imperious lady of the manor treating Tony and Samantha as beneath her and Jonathan, so it pissed me off when she got labeled as uptight (and more gendered terms) when she wanted to be professional about something that requires professionalism.

I LOATHE this episode so much. Though Mona being the "parent" scolding Angela and Tony as the "children" was amusing. Especially her slipping in telling them to give each other a full kiss on the mouth!

And that leads to my next problem with this episode. The viewers are aware, from the premiere, that Angela and Tony pretty much told each other that they loved each other without actually saying it, because (plot!) reasons. Yet, we get Tony acting like he has no feelings for Angela; no thought to how his sniffing after this deadbeat wannabe theatre star will make her feel. Never mind the fact that he had NO RIGHT to reduce the rent, or give her the lease after she had agreed to rent it out to that retired guy who was willing to pay six months rent in advance.

I don't care that Angela doesn't think of Tony as her employee any longer; or that she considers him her best friend. She was the landlord and Tony should have done what Angela wanted. And then Tony gets all pissy when she told him that he should check with her if he wants to make any changes.

And then the deadbeat's check BOUNCED. UGH.

1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

Why do older sitcoms keep updating their theme songs? The later seasons sound so weird and not pleasant to the ear.

I HATE it. And they changed it not at the beginning of the season, but with episode 17! Blech.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Why do older sitcoms keep updating their theme songs?

Right?  Like that's why the show has gone stale.  It's not the fact the cute little kid can't act now that he's grown, the writers have chosen two or three traits for each character and exaggerated the hell out of them while ignoring the rest so they're now more like caricatures, the plots are increasingly unrealistic because most typical situations have already been covered, and you've drawn out "will they or won't they?" so long the primary relationship no longer makes sense.  Nope, it's the theme song - update that, and those ratings will bounce right back up.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Why do older sitcoms keep updating their theme songs? The later seasons sound so weird and not pleasant to the ear.

Yes!! Some of these shows had truly great theme songs that they randomly decided to butcher later on in the series run.

Growing Pains is my top offender in this, but Silver Spoons and Who’s the Boss are way up there too. 

• Like 1

And now we're coming toward the end, where Tony and Angela..."break up" because he went and had sex with a classmate. 

Which leads us to Season 7, with the addition of Billy, so unnecessary, but it's the Cousin Oliver plot. Blech.

I see a lot of fast forwarding coming ahead.

And I remember appreciating in the season premiere of the final season, "Tony" throwing in that line about having the "worst haircut" in history--that godawful buzz, which he had done, because he'd played some mob/cop killer that aired during the summer hiatus.

On man. I forgot about Billy. I don't remember anything about him except the scene where he can't sleep until they got a tape of city traffic noises. I only remembered that because I went through the same experience after moving to a quiet suburb.

Edited by Snow Apple

1 minute ago, Snow Apple said:

On man. I forgot about Billy. I don't remember anything about him except the scene where he can't sleep until they got a tape of city traffic noises. I only remembered that because I went through the same experience after moving to a quiet suburb.

Yeah season seven starts tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

On man. I forgot about Billy.

Me too.  Actually, I probably repressed the memory of him, because that was painfully desperate plotting (as any show's decision to add a Cousin Oliver always is).

• Laugh 1

On 1/19/2021 at 10:07 PM, Bastet said:

Me too.  Actually, I probably repressed the memory of him, because that was painfully desperate plotting (as any show's decision to add a Cousin Oliver always is).

I always wonder what the show runners think is going to be enhanced by the addition of a new baby/kid. When has it ever worked? 

Seasons 7 & 8 are really bad. The relationship between Tony and Angela is so stilted when they actually get together. Their chemistry in the earlier seasons was very natural and they seem like the types who admired the qualities in the other that they themselves didn't have, but it doesn't naturally translate into a romantic relationship.

Ugh. So they aired episode 9 from Season 6--the one about Angela joining a health spa, and the INSULTING retcon that Tony was a nerdy ass loser when he was in high school as the "last" season 6 episode before starting with season 7.

And I think this is where I like Tony the least. He had that one night stand with Kathleen, played by an actress I really don't like, and when Angela asked him if it was just a one-time thing, he hesitates, so they, like I mentioned up thread "break up" to see if where it leads. 

But in the season premiere, he's all jealous, insecure, and doesn't want Angela dating Peter, or the never shown Christopher, and skulks around trying to get a look at him. Seriously, if he's that jealous, then dump Kathleen and commit to Angela. But then that would end the show, so let's just draaaaaaag it out for another two seasons. I hate that the show then made it that Christopher was a crook and con man, just to sooth Tony's ego.