Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E10: The Final

• Start Topic

I’ve gone back and forth between liking Matt and Noel to being indifferent to Matt and Noel, but this was my first time feeling actively frustrated with them. Why, oh why does every shot of them have to be mugging? And JHC with the @#!&ing spoon! I’m surprised none of the contestants broke the damn thing in half.

Laura’s signature challenge was so painful for me to watch. Dang, I don’t remember ever seeing such a disparity between one baker and the other two in the finale.

Also frustrating? Prue allegedly not knowing it was going to be hot when she chose chocolate. It seems like England has had damn heat waves every damn summer for the last decade. Either move filming to spring or fall, or stop doing challenges where weather will be a factor. It’s just not fair.

Props to Dave for re-doing less successful past bakes. I wouldn’t have had the nerve for that in those circumstances. It looked beautiful. Yay on the brownies! Too bad about the choux buns and babka, though.

I loved the look of Peter’s showstopper. 

The updates at the end turned me into a blubbering mess. 

Edited by sharifa70
  • Love 11
7 minutes ago, chaifan said:

OK, this is weird.  This is what US Netflix has:

How bizarre that there are two different closed captionings!  It's not like British English is a foreign language.  Most of the time.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, chaifan said:

OK, this is weird.  My episode had a different caption.  374013670_Screenshot2020-11-2720_56_42.thumb.png.163ff0dd8d4d175933cfcf1cd24a87e4.png

I have the same ending now, but I know it's been edited in other ways, too. I watched the episode soon after it'd been posted (like 5:00am or something) and there wasn't a huge post-script like there is now. They showed only Peter and Dave, which I know because I specifically remember there wasn't an update for Laura and I wondered why she wasn't included.

• Useful 1

@Kohola3, it isn't closed captioning, it's just captions to the still pictures they showed in a montage at the end of the show. 

This happened earlier this season - where Netflix's version had omitted one of Matt's opening sketches, but it was there later in the day.  I know Netflix drops these episodes on Friday, not sure what time.  So maybe there's some internal editing that is still going on after the episode drops?  That seems weird, but is the only explanation.

Anyone know what the caption was on this photo on the Channel 4 (not Netflix) version when it aired earlier this week?

Anyways, back to my original question... does anyone know what limits the bakers have on who they are able to talk to about the show in real time?  We know they can tell families, which makes sense in "normal" seasons, but can they tell friends or anyone outside their household?

Edited by chaifan
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, DkNNy79 said:

Does Peter wear lipstick?  His lips are always really pink/reddish.

I always notice the red rings around his eyes, sometimes more visible than others. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, chaifan said:

@Kohola3, it isn't closed captioning, it's just captions to the still pictures they showed in a montage at the end of the show. 

This happened earlier this season - where Netflix's version had omitted one of Matt's opening sketches, but it was there later in the day.  I know Netflix drops these episodes on Friday, not sure what time.  So maybe there's some internal editing that is still going on after the episode drops?  That seems weird, but is the only explanation.

Anyone know what the caption was on this photo on the Channel 4 (not Netflix) version when it aired earlier this week?

See the post from Weightghost a few posts up...their screen cap looks to be from the Channel 4 version and it’s different than Netflix.

1 minute ago, irisheyes said:

They can’t use Bake Off in the US. Pillsbury has trademarked it. 

Not using Bake Off shouldn't change the total meaning of the caption, though.  The UK version says that his roommates didn't know how far he had gone in Bake Off.  Replace Bake Off with series for the US and the meaning is still the same...i.e. that his flatmates knew he was on the show but didn't know he had won (until after he won, presumably).

The US version implies they had no clue he was no the show at all.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

They can’t use Bake Off in the US. Pillsbury has trademarked it. 

But they still refer to the British name in various places.  You can see the "real" name in the trophy they award, and you also hear it in at least one of the family videos they showed.  (I don't remember who, I think it was Laura's dad?  He was proud of her being on "Bake Off")  

It's also odd that they would re-write the text for the US version and literally change the facts.  Either Peter's flatmates knew he was on the show or they didn't.  It's not that hard to get it right.  

Anyway, good to see Peter win but I realized I was rooting for Dave.  Glad he did really well, and being locked down in a tent for 6 or 7 weeks while your wife is expecting is a very big sacrifice.  

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, truther said:

But they still refer to the British name in various places.  You can see the "real" name in the trophy they award, and you also hear it in at least one of the family videos they showed.  (I don't remember who, I think it was Laura's dad?  He was proud of her being on "Bake Off")  

It's also odd that they would re-write the text for the US version and literally change the facts.  Either Peter's flatmates knew he was on the show or they didn't.  It's not that hard to get it right.  

Anyway, good to see Peter win but I realized I was rooting for Dave.  Glad he did really well, and being locked down in a tent for 6 or 7 weeks while your wife is expecting is a very big sacrifice.  

They don’t change if the bakers say Bake Off, but in the introduction, they always say “Welcome to the Great British Baking Show.”  That’s why I’m assuming they changed the caption as well.  Anything that Netflix/Love controls will have to change. Conversations during the actual show don’t. 

I thought Dave had the edge but wasn't surprised or sad it was Peter.  I liked Dave's willingness to try again on some items, and thank goodness someone managed to make a decent brownie this season.  Peter's showstopper turned out better than I thought it would, and he made nice things.

Laura proved to be a sweet and cheerful person once again, and I do hope people calm down.  I think she was leaning into the freezer because it was hot as much as anything, and there was no need to make such a thing of it.  And thinking back after someone mentioned it upthread, she has always had nice dresses.

I 100% thought Noel said Prue was having a tea party until I got to this thread.

It was a little moment but I really laughed when Dave accidentally slammed his microwave door then looked around and winced apologetically.

I'm glad the bubble staff got an acknowledgement, because that is a lot of people spending a lot of time away from their lives.  I also liked that they had a few glimpses of life in the hotel during isolation, like playing games with Hermine's son and Marc's daughters.  I hadn't heard that Luis passed away; it was nice for them to do a tribute.  His was the first season I watched.

• Love 18
On 11/24/2020 at 7:17 PM, iwantcookies said:

On 11/25/2020 at 6:31 AM, AZChristian said:

The whole thing was a joke . . . including Matt telling Noel he should just leave.  The headline on this story makes it sound like it was a big fight and Noel stormed off.  

Seriously, I just saw the show, & talk about clickbait.

15 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Whoever came up with that cockamamie showstopper idea should be fired.  Absolutely none of them looked at all tempting, just a pile of mismatched items.  If I saw that in a bakery window I'd keep on walking.

But that pretty much describes half the challenges this year. It's like someone figured that since nobody was going home & had nothing else to do, they should give them ridiculous challenges to work on all week.

I'm happy for Peter, but I've been waiting for him to win since week 1, so no surprise. Laura should have never made it as far as she did, she should have been eliminated weeks ago since it's the final week & she still can't make anything that looks nice. Week 1 I would have said Dave was going home soon, but he really did improve as the show went on, so I guess he earned his place.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, JustDucky said:

Hermine should have been in Laura's place, but I'm not going to be a soggy bottom about it on social media.

She really shouldn't have. She clearly lost the week. That (with one or two egregious exceptions) is how the show works. You lose the week and you're out. And Hermine was my favourite of the season.

Edited by pfk505
  • Love 20

Since none of the final three were my favorites, this was a low-stakes finale for me. Poor Laura, once her signature went downhill it was clear she was going to struggle to come back from that. And I was nodding along at her comments regarding the technical: keep any coffee flavor far away from my desserts. 

The showstopper was kind of underwhelming. It just looked like a bunch of different desserts thrown together which isn't visually appealing. I could see how either Peter or Dave could've won and neither would have been surprising. It's nice that all of the behind-the-scenes workers who quarantined got to be at the celebration. The updates about the bakers hanging out together always makes me smile.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Also frustrating? Prue allegedly not knowing it was going to be hot when she chose chocolate.

Oh, this made my blood boil! Hey Prue, remember 2018, when, during the final, one of the bakers' storage jars SPONTANEOUSLY EXPLODED because of the heat? Remember that?

Let's see, what was Prue's bon mot at the time:

"[Baker whose storage jar EXPLODED] seems to have got himself in a tizzy!" Got himself? gOt HiMSeLf? That year, they (baker and GBBO) were incredibly lucky he didn't get seriously hurt - there was glass everywhere.

And last year's final week was also incredibly hot - so, again, what's with the bullshit?

I mean, I've never joined in the GBBO is now canceled brigade, but seriously, Prue is getting on my last nerve. The only thing that's keeping me is that every year there's an amateur baker I would die for (

Spoiler

Rahul, 2019 David,

Peter) and who actually wins - this thing, my favourite in a competition winning, that usually never happens to me!

Edited by arjumand
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Not using Bake Off shouldn't change the total meaning of the caption, though. 

I always use CC. In my experience, those who create the captions are, shall we say, less than perfect.

6 hours ago, truther said:

But they still refer to the British name in various places.  You can see the "real" name in the trophy they award

I actually kept my eyes open for that and you are correct, though they don't do a close-up on it, and you have to really be looking. I was amused in earlier series that they went to the trouble to photoshop the cake plate. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, JustDucky said:

I teared up when I read the dedication: "To everyone getting us through 2020."

And I have no problem with a Pete win.  Hermine should have been in Laura's place, but I'm not going to be a soggy bottom about it on social media.

Also-also Dave's baby is the sweetest thing I've seen on this show.

Same, same, and same. 😁

• Love 3
11 hours ago, jpgr said:

I always notice the red rings around his eyes, sometimes more visible than others. 

He likely has significant allergies, which cause contact dermatitis around his eyes and cheekbones. My son gets red, sore skin around his eyes when his ragweed allergies are particularly flaring.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

Yeah, this whole season was circling the drain from episode 1.  There USED to be decent bakers in Britain obviously, but I think the pickings have gotten SO slim, that the competitors are barely competent.  Almost nobody left seems to have mastered requisite techniques or recognizes and can prepare classic recipes. 

They all screwed up BROWNIES, ffs. 

And how many times did we have to see %#@&* Passionfruit?  

I hate that pale, flaccid, insipid worm Matt.  I still adore Noel (His bolstering of Laura throughout was so heartfelt).  Paul & Prue, I'm just tired of.  There's nothing left to inspire me, though everybody was polite & kinds as usual, unlike most reality shows. But politeness won't sustain it for me.  They can just put the damn show to bed.  

I didn't really have a favorite going in but I surprised myself by really rooting for Dave. His quiet intensity grew on me and I loved his idea of trying to do better on the bakes he was criticized on. I wish it would have worked out for him. 

Peter seems like a sweet kid and he did have some interesting bakes this season. I never really warmed to him though. I watched last season right before this one and I think my mind was still on the young man from that one. He was so funny. (Sorry, his name is escaping me right now. Henry?)

I still like Laura and out of everyone this year, I most want to eat hers and Hermine's food. 

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, Bethanne said:

He likely has significant allergies, which cause contact dermatitis around his eyes and cheekbones. My son gets red, sore skin around his eyes when his ragweed allergies are particularly flaring.

Makes sense. I noticed that in the brief film clip of him at home post competition, the redness was gone.

14 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

They were discussing if God was agreeing/disagreeing with Prue, and Noel made a joke that no one would disagree because they wouldn't want to be disinvited from Prue's next dinner party...because everyone knew it'd be a key party. 

I'm wondering if there were more on-the-fly Netflix editing? I remember that exchange and when I watched, I'm 98% sure all he said was "no one would disagree with Prue" and nothing after.

Meanwhile I found it mildly hilarious when Peter mentioned making an "American style sugar cookie" (I forget his exact wording). Something in his tone made it sound like he thought that was some kind of special-uncommon-interesting thing? Meanwhile I'm over here like...uh...on American baking shows if you want to do the most boring thing you can, you make a sugar cookie.

• LOL 1

I didn't pick up on the meaning of "key party" when I watched the show yesterday.  I thought it meant "key" as in "of paramount or crucial importance" . . . but I'm in my 70s and apparently living in a different world from Noel.  Thank goodness.  

So I wasn't offended by the comment yesterday.  But I am today.  He KNOWS he's pushing boundaries, thus his follow-up comment of "Do you think that'll stay in?"  I don't want to see "Mr. Spoon" or hear "key party" on the GBBO.  If Noel has to go away for those things to go away, so be it.

• Love 13

I am surprised by the criticism for this years' Bake Off.  It was nice to have something warm and comforting to look forward to every Friday.  Mel and Sue (I still miss them both) made the occasional PG-13 pun, so I either didn't notice or wasn't offended by Noel's humor.  British sit-coms are full of humor that's more like a raunchy episode of SNL than the average episode of "Young Sheldon".  

I think the bakers were really hurt not to have a full week to 'rehearse' their bakes.  Laura would have adjusted her recipe for custards if she'd had a full week to catch the weaknesses.  

Maybe the show is missing the gentle, (grand)motherly presence of Mary Berry to offset some of the silliness of Noel and Matt (and the coldness of Paul).  Prue seems to take intentional delight in setting up impossible challenges.  As a high school teacher, I know if everyone fails a test, that is on me, the writer of that test.  I also thought her quip to Hermine, "By your standards, it's a failure," was especially mean-spirited.  

• Love 24
13 minutes ago, Phebemarie said:

British sit-coms are full of humor that's more like a raunchy episode of SNL than the average episode of "Young Sheldon".  

. . . 

I also thought her quip to Hermine, "By your standards, it's a failure," was especially mean-spirited.  

Yes, but this is NOT a sit-com.  I don't think I'd watch a sit-com with Noel if this is his idea of funny.  This is (or had been) a lovely show that should feature the bakers, their product, and the judging.  A little bit of humor is fine, and probably helps break up some of the tension inherent in any competition.  But the "side bits" should not be 180 degrees opposite of the focus of the show, and that's what Noel's "humor" is.

. . . 

I 100% agree on your comment about Prue's comment to Hermine.  As soon as she said it, my thought was "Why don't you just kick her while she's already down?"

• Love 4
1 hour ago, festivus said:

I watched last season right before this one and I think my mind was still on the young man from that one. He was so funny. (Sorry, his name is escaping me right now. Henry?)

That was Jamie. He's going to be one of the four to compete in this year's special Christmas episode:

"This year’s special will see former contestants James Hillery from the 2017 series, Ruby Bhogal, from the 2018 series, and Rosie Brandreth-Poynter and Jamie Finn from the 2019 series go head to head for the Christmas Star Baker title."

• Useful 5
  • Love 1

There were so many things I wished the bakers had said to Noel when he wanted them to each kiss that stupid spoon (most not fit to be aired). Set aside the fact that it was an inane bit he was doing, but I would have at least said “no, I heard Mr Spoon has COVID.” I don’t care if they have been in a bubble for weeks, that spoon had been handled at the very least by Noel and other bakers had kissed it! Yuck! 

Glad the show was back and hope to the baking gods that N&M don’t return as hosts. I really am curious if Brits enjoyed this pairing on this otherwise charming show.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, BoffoDaWonderSheep said:
2 hours ago, festivus said:

I watched last season right before this one and I think my mind was still on the young man from that one. He was so funny. (Sorry, his name is escaping me right now. Henry?)

That was Jamie. He's going to be one of the four to compete in this year's special Christmas episode:

No, it was definitely Henry. Jamie was no where near as funny as Henry, plus Henry lasted more than two episodes.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

No, it was definitely Henry. Jamie was no where near as funny as Henry, plus Henry lasted more than two episodes.

Henry is one of my all time favorites. I always have one or two bakers I really, really click with. I think this season suffered because none of my clickers made it to the end. I liked the three finalists well enough, I think they all deserved to be there, I just didn't adore them the way I have others, which was never really an issue because I could still enjoy some great bakes, some fun with the hosts and the charming nature photography, but all of that was lacking this season as well, so I was left with three okay bakers I kind of liked baking some half-assed bakes (I don't blame the bakers for their failings so much as the weather, the poor challenges and the show pushing drama over comradery ever since leaving the BBC), and the lame, childish schtick of Noel and Matt. 

I am still glad they made a season despite Covid, and I'm glad the bakers clearly bonded as in previous seasons and it looks like the Bubble had some fun moments (I loved seeing their down time at the hotel), but the magic, for me, was missing this series. I think it was more of a perfect storm of things rather than any one element. It was the addition of Matt, Covid, being locked down rather than getting to go home to wind down, Channel 4 pushing the drama, Paul basically running things, and them running out of ideas for bakes. 

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Henry is one of my all time favorites.

I think Henry would make a great host, humorous, quick on his feet with comebacks and understands baking. Pair him up with someone like Ruby Bhogal or Liam and it might work.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

There were so many things I wished the bakers had said to Noel when he wanted them to each kiss that stupid spoon (most not fit to be aired). Set aside the fact that it was an inane bit he was doing, but I would have at least said “no, I heard Mr Spoon has COVID.” I don’t care if they have been in a bubble for weeks, that spoon had been handled at the very least by Noel and other bakers had kissed it! Yuck!

I wonder if this is one of those things that played better with the people in the tent--they've been together for weeks and have a rapport that the audience just isn't a part of. I certainly didn't need any more of the spoon, but Laura, Peter, and Dave didn't seem to mind.

• Love 9

Sadly I must agree that Laura belonged nowhere near the finale, and I hate this nagging suspicion I have that production interference kept her around for the sake of "drama." Hermine was robbed. That said, either Dave or Peter was a deserving winner. I really do think it was close. Dave had the comeback story of the season while Peter had that "youngest ever winner" thing going for him. Here again, I think production may have tipped the scales.

I do think it's hard for us to be objective, though, because we can't actually taste any of these bakes, so we don't know whether the judging is fair or not. All we can judge is based on how they look. 

We didn't have Bread Week this season did we? Is that because production decided it wasn't interesting enough to look at and/or wouldn't create the dramatic  breakdowns they love so much? Is that also why they keep making them do ice cream and chocolate things even though it's 100 degrees in that tent? Yeah . . . Mark Burnett has his hands in this somewhere.

Does Peter wear lipstick?  His lips are always really pink/reddish.

Peter's complexion is very red. Probably common for such a fair-skinned redhead. I noticed how red the skin is under his eyes. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

I am still glad they made a season despite Covid, and I'm glad the bakers clearly bonded as in previous seasons and it looks like the Bubble had some fun moments (I loved seeing their down time at the hotel), but the magic, for me, was missing this series. I think it was more of a perfect storm of things rather than any one element. It was the addition of Matt, Covid, being locked down rather than getting to go home to wind down, Channel 4 pushing the drama, Paul basically running things, and them running out of ideas for bakes. 

I am glad as well although for the first time I did some fast-forwarding through some of the baking drama.  Mostly it was because of my intense dislike of the Twit Twins more than anthing but I also think some of the editing was suspect, creating drama where none existed.  Since BBC dropped it, the new management doesn't seem to understand that long time fans really came for the sweet, gently nature of this show.  We were not in it for fake drama, we liked the closeness of the contestants and their genuine regard for each other.  If one needed help, someone always jumped right in.  In this season, Laura asked for help and the editing make it look like everyone ignored her.  I found that all to be a turn off.

Will I watch another season?  A big no if the Twits return.  Otherwise, maybe.  Let's face it, Mary was the shining star and without her it's a tough sell sometimes.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, festivus said:

I still like Laura and out of everyone this year, I most want to eat hers and Hermine's food. 

This is what many of the people criticizing Laura and questioning her presence in the final seem to overlook.  The judges consistently raved about her food.  It was always delicious.  Not, "yeah it looks like crap but it's tasty enough," but rather "this is some of the best ___ I've ever had."  Laura clearly had a problem with organization, and she was a bit more dramatic than some of the other bakers, but the judges clearly seemed to love her finished products as much as anyone's.  I personally liked seeing things like Peter's understated "I'm allowing myself to feel slightly stressed," or whatever he said at one point, but let's be honest that's not riveting TV.    

This show has had annoying contestants for years.  I'm happy that this season I liked everyone and enjoyed watching all of them.  Honestly I couldn't always say that.  

• Love 21
11 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

We didn't have Bread Week this season did we? Is that because production decided it wasn't interesting enough to look at and/or wouldn't create the dramatic  breakdowns they love so much? Is that also why they keep making them do ice cream and chocolate things even though it's 100 degrees in that tent? Yeah . . . Mark Burnett has his hands in this somewhere.

I looked up but yes we did. It was the one where they made the rainbow bagels. I was trying to remember if they ever had to use meat in the season? As an american, I always find that interesting as that is not something we usually see in a "baking" show. But I don't recall them doing that this year.

• Useful 1
10 minutes ago, blueray said:

I looked up but yes we did. It was the one where they made the rainbow bagels. I was trying to remember if they ever had to use meat in the season? As an american, I always find that interesting as that is not something we usually see in a "baking" show. But I don't recall them doing that this year.

Not sure it was a requirement, but meat was used in the pasties and steamed buns, also the quiches.

For those complaining about Noel and/or Matt’s humor, remember that if the directors/producers didn’t like it, they wouldn’t be doing it. Maybe they wanted a “funnier” show in light of the pandemic, or maybe Matt was purposely cast so they could egg each other on, I don’t know.

Like another poster mentioned, I’d be curious to see how the show played to the UK audience.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I’ve gone back and forth between liking Matt and Noel to being indifferent to Matt and Noel,

I liked Noel a lot more in previous seasons. In this season his heartfelt "buck you up" talks with Laura were terrific, but his stupid jokes and the STUPID spoon were totally off-key for me. Matt-- I just didn't find anything positive in his contributions. 

• Love 11

Overall, though I was/am happy that the season was made, I'm left feeling it was sub par.  If the logistics due to Covid are the the cause of that, then so be it, but for me, I'm feeling like the challenges are mostly to blame, and the hosts contribute the balance.

Maybe it's a cultural thing, but all of these architectural (read: piled high for no reason) bakes just don't do it for me.  I would have no more eaten that gelatin goo than I would kiss a bathroom floor in Walmart.  It felt like some of these challenges were just inane.  Add to that the nonsensical ramblings of Matt & Noel, and I just didn't enjoy it as much as previous years.

Even with all of that, I will be happy when the next season pops up on my Netflix!

• Love 13