Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: A Change Is Gonna Come (1)

WendyCR72

I thought Simone Missick looked pregnant (before the reveal). She usually has a snatched waist.

I already can’t stand the new clerk. I was glad when Lola told her about herself.

Hate that Luke and Emily are on the outs and not communicating.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 10

This episode was so real, it's a reminder that if your a black cop, judge, lawyer, doctor etc. You are working in a system that was designed to kick your people in the ass. Always a tightrope act for a black person in these professions. 

I could feel Lola's anger and frustration, I could tell she wanted to explode. Damn shame how Mark reacted no matter how long he's known Lola is supposedly her best friend. 

I don't like Emily and I hope Luke is hooking up with Sam. I think Luke can do better than Emily, she been putting him through problems since they met. He's been kind, understanding and patient but she seems like a headache. 

I kinda like the new girl so far.

• Love 13

I rather Luke just get with Sam than have a triangle... Always felt like Emily had too much other stuff on her mind.. And Luke was doing the heavy lifting in that pairing... Those factors would doom a relationship IRL... So maybe just leave them apart till she's got her stuff together and he's available.. Or just run with Sam and Luke.. As I like the actress as well and they have easy chemistry too

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I thought Simone Missick looked pregnant (before the reveal). She usually has a snatched waist.

Oh, yeah! The whole show, we were speculating, is she pregnant?  Are they trying to hide it (and doing a piss-poor job LOL!)?

My work (13 story hospital) allows 4 on an elevator at a time. And has little foot markers on the floor that you're supposed to stand on so you're facing away from one another.  Mostly they're ignored!

• Love 9

I knew Simone was pregnant as soon as she stood up in that white out for, but wasn't sure if Lola was supposed to be as well, but thought there is no way they can try to pull this off. So I was very relieved when she told her husband, but surely she would have told him well before she was that far along! She said he'd been gone for a month this time, so this should have been something he was well aware.of before then.

Sad that Mark's reaction was what it was. Sadder still that the bigger issues are too real.

• Love 9
41 minutes ago, knitorpurl said:

but surely she would have told him well before she was that far along! She said he'd been gone for a month this time, so this should have been something he was well aware.of before then.

She wasn't that far along when she saw her husband.  She just looked farther along because the actress is as far along as she is and there wasn't any hiding it.  Either she found out in the phone call that prompted her to throw her phone or she was getting test results related to her pregnancy in the same phone call.  But 4 months passes between that night and the belly reveal shot.   

She said Robin would be home for 1 month this time.  She doesn't say how long ago she most recently saw Robin.  

• Love 8

The actor who plays Mark looks... different.

This was a difficult episode, but it is what needs talking about.

I like the new clerk, but I didn't like her eavesdropping.  At first I thought it was snooping, then I thought she was listening in to "witness" if her judge needed defense, then I went back to snooping.

Apparently Judge Bennett is an anti-masker?

• Love 9

I hope that Luke gets with Sam, he shouldn't have to just sit around waiting for Emily to give him the time of day. Emily still has too much stuff to work out to be in a relationship, and Luke has always seemed like he was more interested in Emily than she is into him. Even in this episode, she went out of her way to avoid him until she needed something from him for her client until the very end of the episode. Luke really needs to move on, he deserves to be with someone who is as invested in him as he is into her. 

So the theme of this episode is "Everyone Is Awkward With Each Other" apparently after this protest. Emily and Luke are on a break that looks to be pretty permanent, Lola is mad at Mark, Emily and Sherri seem to have some awkwardness between them, possibly tied into her families store being looted, its just a whole building full of people trying to avoid eye contact. I don't know, I kind of feel like Marks reaction to Lola being unfairly detained by the police was a bit out of character considering how long he has been friends with Lola and her famous activist parents, and he in general seems to be pretty up on social issues, plus he is also Lola`s long time best friend, so I would think that he would be more aware of the issues between people of color and the police and would try to back her up without blaming her, but who knows how people will react in those things of situations I guess. I hope that he can realize that he messed up and he and Lola make up soon, they're friendship is one of my favorite parts of the show. 

Lola's confrontation with the cop harrasing the teenager was really powerful and terrible, its so awful that no matter how far up in society a black person can rise, the system and so many people within in try so hard to pull them down, and can only see their skin tone and nothing else. Lola is an freaking judge, but all that cop saw was a threat based only on her skin, its just so infuriating, and you could really feel her anger. 

I don't think I like the new clerk, she might be enthusiastic but she seems very unprofessional, trying to tell Lola how she should rule on cases without context, eavesdropping, and acting like she already had the job the second she walked into the interview. She does seem really excited to be there though, so maybe she will grow on me. I like the actress, so I am hopeful. 

Very happy to have the show back. 

• Love 14
56 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I don't think I like the new clerk, she might be enthusiastic but she seems very unprofessional, trying to tell Lola how she should rule on cases without context, eavesdropping, and acting like she already had the job the second she walked into the interview. She does seem really excited to be there though, so maybe she will grow on me. I like the actress, so I am hopeful. 

Yeah, I love the actress, but they played her oddly over-the-top in this episode, with her very dramatic eavesdropping. 

My issue with Emily and Luke last season was how artificial they seemed in a series that otherwise was VERY real (and so far, in this premiere was also quite real). You know, "Emily and Luke fight this episode because they fight this episode." Stuff like that. And now, we're getting the ever artificial love triangle. The show's producers even tried to say, "Everyone likes a love triangle!" The confusion there is that I think everyone enjoys NATURAL love triangles. You know, where a characters meets two people that they might be into and we see which one they end up with, not when you break up a couple to introduce a third for the sake of a triangle. It doesn't ALWAYS stink (Frasier was an excellent addition to Cheers, for instance) but it very often does. 

• Love 6

I was actually reminded of a concern that I had last season, when they introduced Sam and she and Luke had some good chemistry. I remember noting (I believe here, actually) that it just sort of showed how odd of a decision it was for them to get Luke and Emily together as a couple last season. There was no need to rush it. THEY were the ones who rushed them into a relationship and THEN tried to bring a love triangle into the equation with Sam.

That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, bybrandy said:

She wasn't that far along when she saw her husband.  She just looked farther along because the actress is as far along as she is and there wasn't any hiding it.  Either she found out in the phone call that prompted her to throw her phone or she was getting test results related to her pregnancy in the same phone call.  But 4 months passes between that night and the belly reveal shot.   

She said Robin would be home for 1 month this time.  She doesn't say how long ago she most recently saw Robin.  

Whoa, I missed the 4 month time jump. Must have been too involved in my knitting!

So she had the backpack sitting in her office for 4 months? Because the white outfit was what she was wearing during the arrest and the flashback to the telling her husband through the window was that same night, correct? Then she's wearing the red dress with the complete pregnant belly reveal when she comes into the office and opens the backpack.

• Love 2

Honestly I get where mark came from with the initial " what did you do? " I have a friend and like 70% of the trouble/ fights  I've gotten into is because of him... Homeboy is just a lightning rod... Good dude but he's a magnet for static... So just walking up to see his somewhat fiery friend cuffed I get he blurted it out... Its almost like a " not again" feeling... My older sister said something interesting when we were talking about it saying something like that happened to her before ( for reference my sister is my Half-sister and she's all.. Well mostly.. White)  with a friend of hers for years when she said something and her friend got mad.. Like real mad and hurt ( they made up)...  My sis said they both kinda forgot she's white... So when she said what she said.. It hit her friend in an unexpected emotional place... It was for the most some kind of devils advocate position.. But for her friend that moment and for a while after it was a betrayal of sorts... Because not only wasn't it supportive.. But it felt like all of a sudden someone who she expected to just get it didn't...and the person not getting it was someone who had always just been there but now  suddenly a white woman....  Took both of them some time to work thru it.. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, mommalib said:

This episode was so real, it's a reminder that if your a black cop, judge, lawyer, doctor etc. You are working in a system that was designed to kick your people in the ass. Always a tightrope act for a black person in these professions. 

I really didn't understand Mark's initial reaction of "What did you do?!"   Anyone's initial reaction would be "What's going on?" or "Why are you restraining her?"  Especially as a lawyer, Mark wouldn't want to assign blame to any situation in case it comes up later.  

I hate the fact that Mark and Lola have this rift now.    

Why did Lola have the girl's backpack?  I don't remember the girl dying.  Did I miss that?

Hate that Luke and Emily are splitsville. 

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Why did Lola have the girl's backpack?  I don't remember the girl dying.  Did I miss that?

The girl vanished while Lola was being arrested (as far as we know although I think we're going to see this day from lots of different angles over the season) but Lola when she was uncuffed/unrestrained asked where the girl was and the cops were like, "shrug" and she was like she wouldn't just leave her bag.  And the cops were like, "Shrug" and so she took the bag when she and Mark left the scene.   

• Love 5
5 hours ago, knitorpurl said:

So she had the backpack sitting in her office for 4 months?

That is totally how it seams.  I'm going to assume she's opened the bag to look for ID before now.. but?  Who knows.

But yes.  All of the white outfit shots were 4 monts ago and that was the night of the incident and ll of the robe stuff was present day/4 months later (so the case and all the bits where he and Mark are on the outs and when the new clerk gets hired etc.   

• Love 4

That new clerk is going to have to grow on me, because my first impressions are...not favorable.

I get that she's eager and overconfident, but there's no way a newly minted lawyer would feel okay being so familiar with her boss/judge. Heck, no new employee in any field would. No, you don't get to call your boss (or any judge in the building, for that matter) by their first name (unless invited to-and that invitation is certainly not coming on your first day!).

As the old song goes, " Step back... you don't know me like that!"

• Love 13

Yes, I'm glad they made Lola pregnant because it was very obvious from the white outfit that SM was pregnant. Very poorly disguised, but they couldn't go with the tropes of showing her from the waist up or having her carry giant handbags everywhere, and still pull off the protest scenes. 

I found it odd that the characters took their masks off as often as they did. They were still indoors and in several cases, in close proximity to each other. I was thinking at least Emily and Sara live together so it's not that big a deal that they are eating together, but then Emily said she got her own place. 

I, too, thought Mark looked quite different. His hair was much longer, which I thought might be a nod to the pandemic, but with as much close contact as he was having with others, I'm sure he could have gotten a haircut by now.  I did binge Hart of Dixie over the summer, so maybe that's altered my perception of what Wilson Bethel looks like.

• Love 3

As a white person, I cannot at all presume to speak to Lola's experience or feelings.  But as I watched the episode, and Mark said 'what did you do' I took it as him saying 'what's going on' not assuming she did something wrong or deserved to be handcuffed.  But good for the show for addressing BLM and covid (more masks and social distancing than some other shows i've seen) as much as they did.  

And yeah, Luke deserves better than Emily.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

I did binge Hart of Dixie over the summer, so maybe that's altered my perception of what Wilson Bethel looks like.

Never seen that show but I recently watched an old episode of Cold Case (which I watched when it was on, so I'd probably seen this episode) in which he played the cold case murder victim. He looked more boyish with his crew cut (he played a marine in the 1950s). Wilson Bethel is only 36 but he looks older to me.

8 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

The show's producers even tried to say, "Everyone likes a love triangle!"

I haaaaaate love triangles. It would be much better for Luke to be like, "I couldn't wait around for you to be ready. I love you but the timing was off" and break it off clean (if that's what happened between them). Because that, I get - I said as much last season. Right now it looks like they're just not talking or sure why they broke up, and IMO they're kind of too old for that. Use your words! There's a part in the book and the show Normal People where the couple breaks up for  no reason, and they realize it later (but then don't get back together for a while), but they're like 20 when it happens. Luke and Emily are, or at least should be, more mature than that.

3 hours ago, greekmom said:

I really didn't understand Mark's initial reaction of "What did you do?!"   Anyone's initial reaction would be "What's going on?" or "Why are you restraining her?"  Especially as a lawyer, Mark wouldn't want to assign blame to any situation in case it comes up later.  

I had this thought too, that it was bad lawyering. I loved Simone Missick's performance when she was laying it out for Mark. So raw and real. She expects this from the system - she's been Black all her life and a lawyer for however long - but from her best friend? It's so much more than a slip of the tongue. When you are a person of color with white friends, there usually comes a time when you have to look at each other from across color lines. I think this is going to play out in a really interesting way.

Shallow: the skirt Amy had on when she met with Mark and Lola's friend, the other lawyer (I can't remember her name on the show, only the actress's name and the fact that she's married to Sterling K. Brown) was slit all the way up to her upper thigh. Lawyers on TV dress much sexier than lawyers I know. Simone Missick's lip colors were gorgeous (I think she is so beautiful). As a person who likes to wear bold lip colors, this mask thing is a bummer.

• Love 6

This show has done the best job with COVID of any show I've seen yet.  Still a lot of mask free time, but much better than over on SVU where they pulled their masks off to talk.  This was far more realistic as to how people actually act.

I was wondering why that white outfit Lola was wearing made her look larger than usual.  It wasn't the coat, it was her fetus.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

When Emily went to see Luke at the end, I thought she was going to his office, so I was not surprised to see Sam there. But if it was Luke's apartment, why would Sam open the door? I dislike the TV convention of going to someone's place without calling first, so the whole scene bothered me.

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, meatball77 said:

I was wondering why that white outfit Lola was wearing made her look larger than usual.  It wasn't the coat, it was her fetus.

I was thinking the same thing throughout the episode. I was especially thinking that the costume people did a bad job and it wasn't at all flattering on Simone. Once she revealed the pregnancy, it all made sense.

I too was bothered by all the times they took off the masks to talk to people

Good episode overall

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 2

Good episode. Except for the Mark/Lola thing because it felt contrived. With everything we know about Mark and Lola's relationship, it just didn't fit that Mark wouldn't immediately back Lola up 100%. It didn't make sense that he wouldn't immediately come at the cop for having Lola in cuffs. With that said, I'm glad that BLM/the protests were touched upon and SM was brilliant.

RE: Relationships. I still don't like Mark/Amy. And I still don't care for Emily/Luke. I like Luke and Sam, and I still really want Emily and Mark.

Oh, and, no, not everyone likes triangles. In fact, from my years as a TV watcher and discusser of TV shows, a lot of people hate triangles. I am one of them. Triangles are a weak narrative device and show poor writing skills and a lack of imagination on the writer/show's part.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Driad said:

When Emily went to see Luke at the end, I thought she was going to his office, so I was not surprised to see Sam there. But if it was Luke's apartment, why would Sam open the door? I dislike the TV convention of going to someone's place without calling first, so the whole scene bothered me.

My mom swears that once upon a time you used to go visiting.  I'm sure this was from the time when women didn't work, but you'd just turn up at peoples homes and visit with them... like it was normal.   The idea is nightmarish to me.  When I realized that was Luke's apartment I was like, "you just can't go to somebody's house without giving them a heads up!  Who does that?!?!"    

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

My mom swears that once upon a time you used to go visiting.  I'm sure this was from the time when women didn't work, but you'd just turn up at peoples homes and visit with them... like it was normal.   The idea is nightmarish to me.  When I realized that was Luke's apartment I was like, "you just can't go to somebody's house without giving them a heads up!  Who does that?!?!"    

This is a TV/movie pet peeve of mine. An even bigger one is when people drop by other people’s office jobs just to chat. For one, lots of offices have security that would notify you that so and so was in the lobby, and second, don’t just roll up to people’s jobs to shoot the shit! They’re working!

• Love 10

At the end, with the "edited" video, what exactly was she (allegedly) saying/chanting? Despite it being shown multiple times in that 5 minutes at the end, I couldn't make out a single word. I get that someone edited what she was saying to the officer to make it seem like she was ... protesting(?), but what was it???

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, illdoc said:

At the end, with the "edited" video, what exactly was she (allegedly) saying/chanting? Despite it being shown multiple times in that 5 minutes at the end, I couldn't make out a single word. I get that someone edited what she was saying to the officer to make it seem like she was ... protesting(?), but what was it???

“Defund the police.”

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, illdoc said:

she was supposedly saying 'defund the police'  but who knows what she was really saying behind the mask. it may have been altered.  her demeanor otherwise was calm and professional.  makes me suspicious the tape shows up 4 months later.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Yep.  I don't know if she's actually confirmed a pregnancy but the only reason Lola would look as pregnant as she did when she found out she was pregnant were if the actress were actually pregnant.

15 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I hope that Luke gets with Sam, he shouldn't have to just sit around waiting for Emily to give him the time of day. Emily still has too much stuff to work out to be in a relationship, and Luke has always seemed like he was more interested in Emily than she is into him. Even in this episode, she went out of her way to avoid him until she needed something from him for her client until the very end of the episode. Luke really needs to move on, he deserves to be with someone who is as invested in him as he is into her.

My opinion on Luke and Emily was the same as it was last season. I don't think either is a bad person.  I don't think either is "wrong." I just think they're in different places through no fault of their own.   It's probably for the best that they're not together right now even if the feelings are real.

3 hours ago, driver18 said:

RE: Relationships. I still don't like Mark/Amy. And I still don't care for Emily/Luke. I like Luke and Sam, and I still really want Emily and Mark.

Oh, and, no, not everyone likes triangles. In fact, from my years as a TV watcher and discusser of TV shows, a lot of people hate triangles. I am one of them. Triangles are a weak narrative device and show poor writing skills and a lack of imagination on the writer/show's part.

I also thought Emily and Mark had a more natural vibe.

I think producers and fans think of the popularity of triangles in different ways.  Very few fans of a couple involved in a triangle love the triangle.  However, from a producer's perspective, there are very few things which can increase fan engagement the way love triangles can. They're seen as "popular" even if most people hate them because people will fight about them--even if they hate them.

• Love 3

Powerful episode.  When Lola jumped in front of the cop with the gun...and what she said to Mark...just wow.  Simone Missick hit those scenes out of the park!

I’d say the reason Lola reacted the way she did to Mark is because despite being her best friend, despite knowing her for years, his first instinct was to believe the cop was in the right.  Despite being her friend he’s never walked in her shoes, and in spite of what triggered the protests, his first instinct favoured the cop.  The authority of the (white) cop outweighed the authority of the (Black) judge, even to him in that moment.  That’s an unspeakable betrayal.

I still don’t like Emily. And I think the family of the kid on trial had something to do with the doctored video.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, jabRI said:

As a white person, I cannot at all presume to speak to Lola's experience or feelings.  But as I watched the episode, and Mark said 'what did you do' I took it as him saying 'what's going on' not assuming she did something wrong or deserved to be handcuffed.

But Mark asked both. When he walked up he said "What the hell is going on Lola? What did you do?" He tacked on that second question because, for a moment, he saw Lola cuffed and assumed that the cops were right. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, TVForever said:

I get that she's eager and overconfident, but there's no way a newly minted lawyer would feel okay being so familiar with her boss/judge. Heck, no new employee in any field would. No, you don't get to call your boss (or any judge in the building, for that matter) by their first name (unless invited to-and that invitation is certainly not coming on your first day!).

I think that is one of the things that is different about being a lawyer/judge than most other fields. Because in other fields it is pretty normal to call your boss by their first name. But this woman finished law school, so surely she had learned about office culture in a courtroom.

• Love 5

I clerked for a judge one summer (who later wound up doing cameos on Law and Order). We were instructed from the get go that it was always Judge X, or Your Honor. When referring to her it would again be Judge X or Her Honor.

In addition to being white, Mark also works for the DA. They work with cops every single day and need to rely on them as witnesses, so he has a double prejudice, as it were, to believe cops over anyone else.

• Love 5

Really powerful episode. SM knocked it out of the park in the scene where she was at home and replayed those events in her mind and just started screaming.  I felt her pain. I know the terror of having a gun pointed in your face and later on realizing that could have been the end of you.  On top of that she was probably thinking about her baby.  Did we ever find out what happened to the girl with the backpack? I guess that will be in part two.

I'm finding it hard to like Emily, Amy, Ms. Audobon (what is her first name?) and especially the new law clerk.  She was just too familiar and entitled. I hope she is not going to be a regular. I didn't like Brenner railroading Lola into hiring the new clerk.

Looking forward to next week.

• Love 2
On 11/17/2020 at 8:04 AM, Empress1 said:

When you are a person of color with white friends, there usually comes a time when you have to look at each other from across color lines. I think this is going to play out in a really interesting way.

I think this is going to be a very interesting season long discussion.  And with the quality of this show, I suspect it will be a good one.  I just hope it won't become stridently preachy, that will turn a lot of people away from a conversation that needs to happen.

As far as love triangles go, I agree that it seems producers like them much more than viewers.  I blame Jennifer Aniston.  There was the whole series long Ross and Rachel love triangle (with various third legs) on Friends, and then the famous Jennifer Aniston / Brad Pitt / Angelina Jolie Hollywood A-lister public love triangle that dominated tabloids and fan magazines for years.  Producers saw that and they saw the enormous amount of publicity both the fictional and real life story lines generated for Friends and all of Jennifer's and Brad's and Angelina's projects.  That was an huge amount of free publicity, and they loooooove that.  The thing is, the Friends stuff was pretty much lightning in a bottle, never to be recaptured.  It had much more to do with the synergy of the casting and the writing and the era the show was popular in than anything else.  But producers saw that and thought "Love Triangles = $$$" so the rest of us suffer through these tropes while the producers hope they can capture that lightning again. 

And I say that as someone who really likes both the Emily and the Luke characters, and like to see them together.  But I am more interested in the other stories going on around them in the courthouse than I am in their personal lives.  I like how their personal lives inform how they deal with the cases, but that's kind of it.  I don't want this to be a soap opera where the focus becomes the relationships instead of the cases.  That said, I really liked how Sam, as she was closing the door while a distraught Emily was hastening down the hallway, turned to Luke and said "You really should have talked."  There was a lot of exposition and past history that was succinctly summed up in that one well delivered line!

• Love 7
37 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

I blame Jennifer Aniston.

Love triangles existed and created fan engagement looooooong before anyone heard of Jennifer Aniston and Friends.

The thing about love triangles, though, is viewers have to care.  Do the fans in general care enough about Emily and Luke?  Maybe.  I would be surprised by maybe.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Love triangles existed and created fan engagement looooooong before anyone heard of Jennifer Aniston and Friends.

Yup. See the Sam/Maddie/David triangle on Moonlighting and the ridiculous third wheel with Tony Roselli with Laura and Steele on the (awful) shortened 5th season of Remington Steele as other tedious examples of such before Friends was even a glint of an idea. (Yes, I'm old!)

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

(Yes, I'm old!)

Me too. You want to know how old? I'd argue that the most influential template for incorporating will they/won't they and triangles into non-soap prime time TV was Cheers with Sam and Diane (and Sam/Diane/Frasier) way back in 1981/82/83.

I specify non-soap prime time because both daytime and prime time soap operas have existed for decades and they've had all these tropes which were later employed by shows that wouldn't classify themselves as soap operas.  But they use them because making fans have a rooting interest in something helps them get invested. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Me too. You want to know how old? I'd argue that the most influential template for incorporating will they/won't they and triangles into non-soap prime time TV was Cheers with Sam and Diane (and Sam/Diane/Frasier) way back in 1981/82/83.

YES! I was alive for that, too! (I was 9 in 1981, for some reference!) But you're right. Sam/Diane was the first will they/won't they? phenomenon. I swear most everyone watched that show just for that.

• Love 2

I don’t particularly like Emily/Luke but he deserves better. The entire relationship is based on whatever mood she’s in. I don’t feel she was ever as into him as he was into her. I feel no matter who she’s with that’ll be the case.

• Love 6
On 11/18/2020 at 4:24 PM, incandescent said:

I shouldn't be surprised by what a brave badass Lola Carmichael is anymore after that time where she shut the door on Sherri and Sara to keep them out of the hostage situation, but here I am. She's so amazing.

One of my favorite moments of the show. All steely resolve, no fear showing at all.

23 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I don’t particularly like Emily/Luke but he deserves better. The entire relationship is based on whatever mood she’s in. I don’t feel she was ever as into him as he was into her. I feel no matter who she’s with that’ll be the case.

I do think she loves him but she has so much baggage from her abusive relationship that I don't think she can be there for him the way he deserves right now. He gives a lot more than he gets from her. I hope she's continuing with her therapy.

(call me, Luke)

On 11/18/2020 at 1:04 PM, HurricaneVal said:

There was the whole series long Ross and Rachel love triangle (with various third legs) on Friends

Ross and Rachel were a terrible couple and would have broken up again a month after they got back together. I said what I said.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 6
On 11/20/2020 at 1:41 PM, Empress1 said:

Ross and Rachel were a terrible couple and would have broken up again a month after they got back together. I said what I said.

I thought I was the only one who felt this way. I never understood why people wanted them together. 

On 11/19/2020 at 2:18 PM, Avabelle said:

I’m with you on this one. I would say she needs some help to be less self-centered. It might sound like a weird criticism considering her job, but some how, everything is about and revolving and concerning her. She’s the only character I actively dislike on the show. Outside of Mark’s girlfriend who I just ignore. 

On 11/18/2020 at 1:24 PM, incandescent said:

I shouldn't be surprised by what a brave badass Lola Carmichael is anymore after that time where she shut the door on Sherri and Sara to keep them out of the hostage situation, but here I am. She's so amazing.

Agreed!

On 11/16/2020 at 9:02 PM, Court said:

My favorite thing about this show is Mark and Lola's friendship so I hope they can resolve it soon. 

Agreed. I appreciated that they went there, and believe they now need to go all the way and give it the storyline the respect it deserves, but I only came back to this show because I love their relationship so they better fix it!!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, TimetoShine said:

I’m with you on this one. I would say she needs some help to be less self-centered. It might sound like a weird criticism considering her job, but some how, everything is about and revolving and concerning her. She’s

Agree it’s so noticeable in her scenes with Sara where the character has been relegated to just a sounding board for Emily to talk at. 

• Love 4
On 11/16/2020 at 9:48 PM, HurricaneVal said:

The actor who plays Mark looks... different.

This was a difficult episode, but it is what needs talking about.

I like the new clerk, but I didn't like her eavesdropping.  At first I thought it was snooping, then I thought she was listening in to "witness" if her judge needed defense, then I went back to snooping.

Apparently Judge Bennett is an anti-masker?

Just like in real life, there's always at least one self-absorbed jerk with not one ounce of concern for anyone else.

• Love 1
On 11/18/2020 at 6:33 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Yup. See the Sam/Maddie/David triangle on Moonlighting and the ridiculous third wheel with Tony Roselli with Laura and Steele on the (awful) shortened 5th season of Remington Steele as other tedious examples of such before Friends was even a glint of an idea. (Yes, I'm old!)

Knots landing. Gary/Valene/Abby

(I'm even older)

• Love 1