Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Die Alysis

Bort
  • Start Topic

When Drew's condition worsens, he needs to make sure Gina is still serious about donating her kidney and winds up making her an offer she can't refuse.

Airdate: 12 November 2020

Same. I like the dialysis group and the former sit com stars on the bus.  I like the leading girl. I'm on the fence about Drew. I am excited about next week, though, when the ex-wife finds out. I don't think they've established how long they've been divorced. It seems, based on his possible bitterness, it hasn't been that long. 

My sister just started dialysis and is looking for kidney donors (she is 58).  Right now she does not have the strength (physical or emotional) to keep up with a donor like Gina. But I know not everyone is the same. I like the dialysis group and the people on the bus, but Gina is annoying AF. They could probably remove her from the show and still have a good ensemble and a better, less frenetic dynamic.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

Same. I like the dialysis group and the former sit com stars on the bus.  I like the leading girl. I'm on the fence about Drew. I am excited about next week, though, when the ex-wife finds out. I don't think they've established how long they've been divorced. It seems, based on his possible bitterness, it hasn't been that long. 

This is exactly where I am. Like the dialysis group and the bus group. Haven't seen Bernie Kopell or Linda Lavin in ages, so good seeing both of them. I'm fine with Gina. Drew is just not likable for me.

And for the love of God, someone please revise the opening credits. Ugh.

• Love 10

I don't even remember what the credits are like. I'll have to pay closer attention after all the comments about them both this week and last!

I like that they are repeating over and over again how long the waiting list is for a kidney, and that your chance of living to get one is slim. It's depressing, but if more people know, maybe it will help.

I kept wanting to know how much money she owed, and I kept expecting him to offer to pay the debt to keep her alive. I expected it to be not that much-- maybe $500-- real money but laughably little compared to saving her (or his) life, and something he could probably afford. But if he paid her debt, she wouldn't move in, and that's a situation they want to mine for story.

He doesn't seem sick enough to be where he is, and also I can't remember if we know what he does for a living. I was surprised he didn't tell his ex about the situation, and that we haven't met any of his family as he asks them to help. But I'm just trying to handwave everything, because I don't really like the show and I want to like it.

I agree about the bus, and also the nursing home staff. I like that the woman who thought he was the scary guy was not intimidated and was going to chase him out of there. No cowering in the back, just confront the thug and read him for filth!

The actress who plays the best friend was on "You're The Worst". I liked her there, and I'm hoping to like her here, but I'm still having trouble liking anyone very much. 

• Love 1
On 11/12/2020 at 8:25 PM, Tdoc72 said:

So far, I really like the dialysis group and the old people on the bus. 

I'm kind of surprised with the woman who comes bouncing into dialysis, as if nothing is wrong.  I wouldn't think that one would be that energetic when their kidneys are failing.  I've had dental patients in the past who were in dialysis, and they weren't bebopping around like that.   They were very sick and generally didn't feel or look good.  Maybe there are circumstances in which looks are deceiving though. 

I wanted to give this show a try, but once the main character said that he didn't want a kidney from a relative because it would be a "Republican kidney,"  well, I'm out.  This is my rant for Chuck Lorre.  Through his vanity cards with this and his other shows, it's obvious where he stands, which is fine.  Many of his rants are insulting to many people, but hey, I don't get my underwear in a wad over it.  I just shrug my shoulders and move on, but if this is the way this show is going to be written, then I don't need it.   I'm going to assume that with the attitude of the character not wanting a certain kind of kidney donor, that must be how Lorre feels, and I find that pathetic on his part.  We're all just people, Chuck.  Get over yourself damn self, Mr. Lorre. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, possibilities said:

He doesn't seem sick enough to be where he is, and also I can't remember if we know what he does for a living. I was surprised he didn't tell his ex about the situation, and that we haven't met any of his family as he asks them to help. But I'm just trying to handwave everything, because I don't really like the show and I want to like it.

I seem to remember him telling the best friend he was a psychologist, not a psychiatrist, so he couldn't write her any prescriptions.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

My S.O. had a kidney transplant and was on dialysis before that. He came out of dialysis drained, worn out and sometimes vomiting.  I picked him up many times and everyone left looking like that.  Even if they caught Drew's case early and the procedure hasn't drained him yet, none of his fellow dialysis patients even seemed tired.  They can downplay it because it's a sitcom, but they should make them a little drained. It's not a picnic.

Anyway, I'm still enjoying this show and I agree, Drew is my least favorite character, although I do like his interactions with his daughter.

i, also wondered how much money Gina owed and thought maybe he could pay her debt.  She is saving his life, afterall.  He could still have her move in to keep her clean until the operation.

On 11/14/2020 at 7:36 PM, Johann said:

My S.O. had a kidney transplant and was on dialysis before that. He came out of dialysis drained, worn out and sometimes vomiting.  I picked him up many times and everyone left looking like that.  Even if they caught Drew's case early and the procedure hasn't drained him yet, none of his fellow dialysis patients even seemed tired.  They can downplay it because it's a sitcom, but they should make them a little drained. It's not a picnic.

I had to watch this show to see how it dealt with kidney failure. I was a full time caregiver to my late husband while he dealt with end stage renal failure/dialysis. I too noticed that the dialysis gang was really upbeat, especially at the end of the treatment.

When my husband first started dialysis, he was so weak I had to take him in a wheelchair. He couldn't even stand up to weigh in. He had to get weighed while in his wheelchair. I know it's a comedy so they aren't going to make it look exactly like a real dialysis session, but two things stood out to me. When Drew sat in the chair, the nurse/tech started wiping his arm with an alcohol pad WITHOUT WEARING GLOVES. My husband was always cold so he always had a blanket and neck pillow. Oh, one other thing, they never mentioned a fistula or catheter for Drew when he had to start treatment. 

Oh well, I like the show enough to keep watching to see where it goes. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, kitkat68 said:

I had to watch this show to see how it dealt with kidney failure. I was a full time caregiver to my late husband while he dealt with end stage renal failure/dialysis. I too noticed that the dialysis gang was really upbeat, especially at the end of the treatment.

When my husband first started dialysis, he was so weak I had to take him in a wheelchair. He couldn't even stand up to weigh in. He had to get weighed while in his wheelchair. I know it's a comedy so they aren't going to make it look exactly like a real dialysis session, but two things stood out to me. When Drew sat in the chair, the nurse/tech started wiping his arm with an alcohol pad WITHOUT WEARING GLOVES. My husband was always cold so he always had a blanket and neck pillow. Oh, one other thing, they never mentioned a fistula or catheter for Drew when he had to start treatment. 

Oh well, I like the show enough to keep watching to see where it goes. 

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the fistula and him always being cold.  They gave him a bag to bring stuff and they included a blanket but he always needed more.  He had to have it through his chest, but those that used the arm had a numbing cream they had to put on before going and their arms had horrible bruising.

Sorry to hear about your husband.  My S.O. was one of the lucky ones.  He was only on dialysis for a few years before his sister donated.  I know this is a sitcom, but the depression from enduring dialysis is real and I hope they get a little more realistic with it.  Maybe have at least one of his other patients show the negative effects.  That one guy could do it while making funny sarcastic comments.

I guess it's not up to this show to educate everyone about all this and I guess if I hadn't lived through it second-hand it wouldn't faze me, so we'll see where this goes.

• Love 2
On 11/14/2020 at 1:51 PM, ChitChat said:

I'm kind of surprised with the woman who comes bouncing into dialysis, as if nothing is wrong.  I wouldn't think that one would be that energetic when their kidneys are failing.  I've had dental patients in the past who were in dialysis, and they weren't bebopping around like that.   They were very sick and generally didn't feel or look good.  Maybe there are circumstances in which looks are deceiving though. 

I wanted to give this show a try, but once the main character said that he didn't want a kidney from a relative because it would be a "Republican kidney,"  well, I'm out.  This is my rant for Chuck Lorre.  Through his vanity cards with this and his other shows, it's obvious where he stands, which is fine.  Many of his rants are insulting to many people, but hey, I don't get my underwear in a wad over it.  I just shrug my shoulders and move on, but if this is the way this show is going to be written, then I don't need it.   I'm going to assume that with the attitude of the character not wanting a certain kind of kidney donor, that must be how Lorre feels, and I find that pathetic on his part.  We're all just people, Chuck.  Get over yourself damn self, Mr. Lorre. 

Everyone is different - my son was on dialysis for several years and continued to go to work - in an office.  He was 45 or so, and didn't look particularly sick.  He and his wife lived in the midwest, where the wait for a donor can be years and years.  They moved to the northeast et voila!  One day he got THE phone call, while he was on dialysis!  Unhooked, stopped home for a change of clothes, was at the hospital and everything, including check-in and tests . . . seven hours later the new kidney was in and working!  That was two years ago.  No, the show is not completely realistic, but I do like that Drew and the dialysis crew are having their moments.  It is definitely not all fun and games.

Just now, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Everyone is different - my son was on dialysis for several years and continued to go to work - in an office.  He was 45 or so, and didn't look particularly sick.  He and his wife lived in the midwest, where the wait for a donor can be years and years.  They moved to the northeast et voila!  One day he got THE phone call, while he was on dialysis!  Unhooked, stopped home for a change of clothes, was at the hospital and everything, including check-in and tests . . . seven hours later the new kidney was in and working!  That was two years ago.  No, the show is not completely realistic, but I do like that Drew and the dialysis crew are having their moments.  It is definitely not all fun and games.  Oh - his donor was the victim of a car accident.  High as a kite and full of Hep C, but as the surgeon said, "That is one beautiful kidney!"  Sometimes, they need to be coaxed to start working.  Oh, and fun fact?  Doctors don't remove the impaired kidney, so now he has three!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4