Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: A Docent, A Little Lady and a Bouncer Named Dalton

Bort
  • Start Topic

40 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

My DVR cut off at the very end.  I got to the part where George told Mary that Georgie looked liked Swayze, then she said to just watch McGuyver.  Was that the gist of it or did I miss anything else?  

I think that was it.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

It seems like a lot of teams go with white or gray pants, and a colored shirt. 

That’s how baseball is. White pants are the home team, gray is the away team. Yes, George had to drive Missy for 3 hours so why would she be wearing the white home pants but there’s often some sort of reason teams are classified as home or away even if that’s technically not the case. 

23 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

That’s how baseball is. White pants are the home team, gray is the away team. Yes, George had to drive Missy for 3 hours so why would she be wearing the white home pants but there’s often some sort of reason teams are classified as home or away even if that’s technically not the case. 

I'm actually confused by the whole thing. It's summer, so it's not a school team.  Thus, I would think it would be Little League. They don't usually travel do they?  The girl I knew who played, only played in town.  If it is a school team, why did all the parents have to drive the kids separately.  No bus?  If it's a completely parent-funded team/league, I can see why they don't have two different uniforms.

25 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

With our schools, it was just one uniform for baseball, just like football.  Maybe some schools could afford 'away' and 'home' uniforms, but we always had just one set.  I would think that Missy's team would be the same.  When parents have to buy the uniform, they usually just have the one set.  Between buying cleats, jersey's and pants, it gets expensive!  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

If it is a school team, why did all the parents have to drive the kids separately.  No bus? 

For baseball, my son and his teammates didn't travel by bus.  We never had far to go though.  Football was a different story!  They went by bus for every away game.  Some of our games were hours away, so us parents had a nice little caravan behind the buses!  The track team went by bus for the big regional & state meets.  

1 minute ago, ChitChat said:

For baseball, my son and his teammates didn't travel by bus.  We never had far to go though.  Football was a different story!  They went by bus for every away game.  Some of our games were hours away, so us parents had a nice little caravan behind the buses!  The track team went by bus for the big regional & state meets.  

Some of the kids around here don't get back from away games until midnight. If I had to drive that would not be happening, LOL.  Although, tbh, I don't know if I'd want my kid out that late on a semi-regular basis on school nights anyway.  School comes first.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

With our schools, it was just one uniform for baseball, just like football.  Maybe some schools could afford 'away' and 'home' uniforms, but we always had just one set.  I would think that Missy's team would be the same.  When parents have to buy the uniform, they usually just have the one set.  Between buying cleats, jersey's and pants, it gets expensive!  

Yeah, you know I was thinking about it later and realized it wasn’t a school league. When I played little league, everyone just wore gray pants. 

• Love 2

This was the first episode where I could have done without the Sheldon story. He was just annoying and completely unfunny. A rare misstep.

Yes, the 'dad having to deal with daughter's first period' has been done to death on sitcoms but they managed to make it sweet & funny. And I love that Missy pitched that day and pitched well! (And she's such a great little actress.)

The Mary-Georgie story was great until the very end when George ruined the movie for her for all time! That was hysterically disturbing. Die Hard 2 might be a safer bet for Mary now!

• Love 8

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one concerned about the white pants.

3 hours ago, kariyaki said:

That’s how baseball is. White pants are the home team, gray is the away team. 

To expand on that, baseball is a summer game, and it's hot in the summer, so people wear white because it's cooler, it reflects the heat.  So the home team, who gets their choice of uniforms, will choose the whites.  It's part of the home field advantage.

Football is the opposite of this, the home team usually chooses the dark uniforms, because they absorb the heat and keeps you warmer.  Although many teams in the south will wear whites at home, because it's warmer down south.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Gummo said:

This was the first episode where I could have done without the Sheldon story. He was just annoying and completely unfunny.

I liked that storyline!  I agree that he's annoying, but it was fun to see the origins of  "fun facts" and his love of trains.  At least he is self-aware enough to know that he can be so annoying until people give in and he gets what he wants.  That isn't something he should be proud of though!

51 minutes ago, Gummo said:

Yes, the 'dad having to deal with daughter's first period' has been done to death on sitcoms but they managed to make it sweet & funny.

It was great that Missy was so cool about it, which means that she was educated about it.  She was already a step ahead in that regard.  Some girls aren't so lucky.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

To expand on that, baseball is a summer game, and it's hot in the summer, so people wear white because it's cooler, it reflects the heat.  So the home team, who gets their choice of uniforms, will choose the whites.  It's part of the home field advantage.

The tradition of whites for home, grays for away was actually because in the old days of baseball, the away team was traveling and had no way to do their laundry. Gray hid the grime from wearing the uniform without washing it.

• Useful 5
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'm actually confused by the whole thing. It's summer, so it's not a school team.  Thus, I would think it would be Little League. They don't usually travel do they?  The girl I knew who played, only played in town.  If it is a school team, why did all the parents have to drive the kids separately.  No bus?  If it's a completely parent-funded team/league, I can see why they don't have two different uniforms.

It is a Little League team not a school team. It is also during the summer, so there is not the concern of school or homework, so driving three hours for a game on a weekend seems possible. I never did Little League or travel teams so maybe someone who knows more about them can provide a better/more complete answer. 

6 hours ago, Katy M said:

Little League teams do travel some for games. How far probably depends on the size of the league. What we’ve seen reminds me more of travel teams. A three hour drive wouldn’t be unusual for a travel team and the funding comes primarily from the parents plus any official sponsors. That would also match Mary being responsible for getting the team trophies last season. 

23 minutes ago, Dani said:

A three hour drive wouldn’t be unusual for a travel team and the funding comes primarily from the parents plus any official sponsors. 

Also, it’s Texas. A three hour drive is nothing for us. You can drive for two days and still be in the state.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Also, it’s Texas. A three hour drive is nothing for us. You can drive for two days and still be in the state.

I was thinking three hours probably isn't unlikely for Texas. I can almost drive my whole state top to bottom in that time.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Snow Fairy said:

Regarding Missy, I think she was informed about what a period is and why/how it happens. She has that street smarts, reads girl magazines (I think), so she probably knew that.

Missy probably read Are You There God, It’s Me, Margaret like I did. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

White pants is also a crime against whoever has to do the laundry. Sliding into home plate becomes a disaster from that perspective.

And we all know who does the laundry in that house...

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

The pants were giving me fits as well. Unexpectedly getting your period while wearing white is every woman's worst nightmare. 

I thought the Mary/Georgie storyline was the best part of the episode. We don't get a lot of chances to see them bonding and the fact that it happened over Roadhouse was awesome. 

• Love 8

At the beginning, Sheldon clearly refers to the place as a train STORE, but it definitely seemed more like a museum. And stores don't usually have docents. I suppose there could have been a gift store associated with the museum, but then it still wouldn't be called a "train store."

17 minutes ago, J-Man said:

At the beginning, Sheldon clearly refers to the place as a train STORE, but it definitely seemed more like a museum. And stores don't usually have docents. I suppose there could have been a gift store associated with the museum, but then it still wouldn't be called a "train store."

I thought it was that the train store has a bulletin board (one of his top 5 sources of information), which had a flyer on it advertising the museum opening.

• Useful 2
  • Love 15
7 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

Regarding Missy, I think she was informed about what a period is and why/how it happens. She has that street smarts, reads girl magazines (I think), so she probably knew that.

Even if her school is full of Christian conservatives, I could see them doing an assembly where all the girls go the gym or some other room to learn about periods and how to deal with them. I could also see Mee-Maw telling her, especially if she thought Mary wouldn't. 

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I thought it was that the train store has a bulletin board (one of his top 5 sources of information), which had a flyer on it advertising the museum opening.

You are correct that is what happened. However, I thought the museum already existed, and they were advertising an opening for a new docent. 

One of the things I love about this show is the way you never know which characters are going to be thrown together in a subplot. Mary and Georgie are wonderful together. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it's great. 

I'd love to see Sheldon watch MacGyver with George. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

You are correct that is what happened. However, I thought the museum already existed, and they were advertising an opening for a new docent. 

Yes.  The museum already existed.  And has been mentioned as that is what Sheldon was playing for last year when he and Missy had their day of games.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 11/14/2020 at 4:22 PM, kariyaki said:
On 11/14/2020 at 3:57 PM, Dani said:

You can drive for three hours and still be inside Houston on a bad day.  🙂

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
On 11/15/2020 at 12:39 AM, Sarah 103 said:

One of the things I love about this show is the way you never know which characters are going to be thrown together in a subplot. Mary and Georgie are wonderful together. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it's great.

I love them together too.

I can really see Georigie stepping up to help Mary with house/kids/finances after George Sr. dies.

• Love 4
On 11/13/2020 at 3:22 PM, kariyaki said:

Yes. It's much more likely that they DON'T do it anymore, if anything. But I was in school in the 80s/90s and we got the sex/period lectures somewhere around the 5th or 6th grade.

When I was in school, it was 4th grade (1989). We always seemed to have one or two early bloomers in each class, so the timing worked well. Usually by the end of fifth grade there were a handful of girls in training bras and menstruating. This was a small public school in rural WV. I didn't find the timing on this for Missy to be surprising at all.

• Love 1

It was the 60's when I was in 5th grade and they had an assembly for the girls back then, so surely they had something at Missy's school in the 90's.  Can't believe we were progressive.  Missy obviously had been informed about this or she would have been upset, maybe even verging on hysterical, about bleeding.  It could be scary if you don't know why you are bleeding 'internally'.  When I saw the white baseball pants, I thought, "please don't go there!"  It's a cheap joke at something that could be traumatic and I don't find that funny and I'm glad they didn't do that.  BTW, my guess is that it was a travel rec baseball team.  In my experience, rec league teams generally play on a localized set of nearby fields - the league just plays within itself.  As an adult, we played in leagues, but traveled to invitational tournaments on weekends that sometimes required hours of driving, but then they would have been planning to spend the day and that didn't seem to be the case.  

I love George & Missy interactions.

Roadhouse is my S.O.'s favorite movie.  But he watches more for the girl then Patrick Swayze.  Wonder how Mary reacted to Dirty Dancing?

• Love 1

Either at the 1964 New York World's Fair or at the 1967 Montreal Expo, my mom was wearing white pants when her period started.
After a stop at the restroom, she tied her sweater around her waist and soldiered on.
I expect Missy would've done the same.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Either at the 1964 New York World's Fair or at the 1967 Montreal Expo, my mom was wearing white pants when her period started.
After a stop at the restroom, she tied her sweater around her waist and soldiered on.
I expect Missy would've done the same.

If she was just walking around, yeah.  But she was pitching, with a high kick.  I don't think there was any camoflaging in that situation.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Johann said:

If she was just walking around, yeah.  But she was pitching, with a high kick.  I don't think there was any camoflaging in that situation.

Plus a sweater tied around her waist would completely wreck her pitch.

• Love 1

Eh, having had to wear the hoodie tied around my waist because of a period stain on the first day of getting my period I am sure that it would have covered the stain even if Missy had to kick high when pitching.  Plus having to work around that and still perform well would have been proof that she could overcome it, which IMO is the kind of message the show would want to send about women. 

BTW, the whole reason I was wearing pants at all to school was because my class that year defied the dress code prohibiting girls from wearing pants.  If I didn't let that stop me, I certainly wouldn't have let a little period stain prevent me from pitching and winning a game even wearing a sweater or hoodie tied around my waist.  At least that's how we little "women's libbers" used to think back in 1971, LOL.

• Love 1
On 11/15/2020 at 1:39 AM, Sarah 103 said:
On 11/15/2020 at 12:16 AM, ams1001 said:

Yes, Sheldon saw the flyer advertising the docent opening in the train store.

On 11/13/2020 at 3:22 PM, kariyaki said:

Yes. It's much more likely that they DON'T do it anymore, if anything. But I was in school in the 80s/90s and we got the sex/period lectures somewhere around the 5th or 6th grade.

Same here. Besides, if Mary was too embarrassed, I could definitely picture Meemaw giving Missy "the talk" - no minced words.

On 11/12/2020 at 8:47 PM, Browncoat said:

Aww, Missy.  Glad they didn't turn it into a Very Special Episode, like when Rudy got her period on The Cosby Show.  But ugh, white pants!  

Did Sheldon make it until lunchtime as a docent?  Just his bell-ringing would have driven me to distraction.  It was a nice bell, and it had a nice sound -- once or twice, but not all morning!

Yep, kind of gross, but all I could think of was those pants would not be looking as pristine white as they were if she had just gotten her first period. 😳

Love that the titles have Sheldon in his conductor’s uniform!

I recognised Road House as soon as it appeared (though it was poor continuity as that scene was from the end – unless Mary was watching it in shifts?) - I even said “Be Nice!” before Georgie did. I'm glad he didn't try to extort anything from his mother to keep her secret.

I'm old enough to have seen periods go (on TV) from something “absolutely unmentionable” to “subject of a special episode” to “topic that drives men from the room” (sometimes deliberately, so the women can discuss something else) to “just deal with it!” I’m glad YS adopted the last of those, even if it clearly made George uncomfortable (though I did worry about Missy's white pants, too).

On 11/14/2020 at 12:54 PM, Browncoat said:

I would have worried about it the whole time, and probably not have pitched quite as well as usual.  Assuming I could pitch, of course.

I was wondering if she might pitch better (or at least, throw harder) from frustration!

On 11/14/2020 at 7:09 AM, ProudMary said:

Georgie never did answer Mary's question about why he wasn't at work.

I wondered that too!