Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E20: Not On My Watch

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I'm not sure that he'd be allowed back into the US again. I think that's why she was moving there. 

Why? I didn't know he was ever in the US. What did he do to possibly not be allowed back? 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, lilysmom said:

I think that Bini's sisters may be being hard on the wrong person here. He picked her and this wasn't the first time he had a child with an American. The sisters lived through this nightmare before and now they are reliving it.

I don't particularly care for Ari, but I most certainly didn't like the way Bini's sisters came at her. The "you are behaving just like his ex-wife", comment struck a nerve with me, because their brother is the common denominator in both these equations.  If he were my brother, I would tell him that "foreign women" will only bring him heart break and that he would most likely be better off with a local girl.  Bini appears to be a decent guy and he seems to be doing his utmost best for his "little" family.  However, it's just a matter of time before Ari and Avi head back to Jersey.    

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

How does Bini find an apartment, sign a contract and get them moved so easily?  Is he losing his deposit?  Is he breaking his contracts?  Do they not provide long term contracts with lower rent?  I bet he would jump on those. How is it so easy to break a lease?  I felt bad for him when he said the current place was the best of anywhere he had ever lived and then the in-laws said it wasn’t enough.   How much space do you need for a young couple and an infant?I think they could live in a studio quite easily except for all the stuff that the in-laws brought over.  Maybe get a storage unit...

Bini’s work situation is not... brain surgery.  He works in hospitality.  Not in hospitals.  He works primarily for tips.  His family thinks it’s a lot of money.  That’s a big red flag.  
Also, I wish they had filmed the scene where Ari threw a fit in the street. She didn’t deny it but her parents should have turned the table on her and asked what happened.  We needed context.

There is no time in the life of that baby Avi, as long as Dr G-Daddy and Nurse Grammy are alive that they will not want that kid to move to the States, into their home, for them to raise.  Otherwise, Avi will soon become a prop in the dance performance as soon as he can stand.  There, I said it.

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, lilysmom said:

It's not that I disagree with what you've said. I think that Bini's sisters may be being hard on the wrong person here. He picked her and this wasn't the first time he had a child with an American. The sisters lived through this nightmare before and now they are reliving it. I think they don't want to lose another nephew. Maybe they aren't approaching it correctly from an American point of view. Different cultures express feelings and react differently to many things. It appears that in Ethiopia, the problems are caused by the women and the men are held in higher esteem, so it would only be natural for the sisters to take their brother's side.

Also, Bini is the BABY of eight who's parents died when he was a child. ALL of his siblings spoiled him and finished raising him, they feel a very strong drive to protect him because of that situation. Now I firmly believe in private his big sisters might tear him a new one for continuing to knock up foreigners and have their nephews thrown about the world, and his irresponsibility, but theres no way they would do that on camera, to their little brother that they helped raise. 

Ari is always going to get the worst of it because she is not their family member, and a cultural outsider (not saying its right but the truth). 

5 minutes ago, Colfrmb said:

Bini’s work situation is not... brain surgery.  He works in hospitality.  Not in hospitals.  He works primarily for tips.  His family thinks it’s a lot of money.  That’s a big red flag.  

Bini is not a professional, but between all of his jobs he's making more than the average income for a man in his community, so to his family yeah they probably think he is doing okay and adequately providing for Ari and Avi....

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I took it another way...I figured he already know and was horrified that she’d found out and he couldn’t string her along anymore.  

I think if he had known, he wouldn't have taken her to an attorney who specialized in marriage law.  Summit has never seemed that bright---sneaky and underhanded perhaps, but not bright.   I was going to say they remind me of middle-schoolers, but I think that would be an insult to the majority of middle-schoolers.   It was easy enough for Sumit to want Jenny when he couldn't have her, but now that she is his for the taking he has cold feet--especially since it will cut him off from his parents.  And probably from some of his married friends as their wives won't want anything to do with Jenny.  No wonder she feels friendless.  Not sure where they live, but she needs to find some ex-pats to hang around.  It just seems like she is about to realize she has wasted 6-8 years pursuing Sumit who lied to her about his name, nationality, and body shape at the beginning of the "relationship."   I almost feel sorry for her.  Almost.

The only thing that would interest me with the Cheeseman storyline is a custody battle over the cat.  This couple has no understanding of boundaries; their parents are told too much.  If they marry, they will have in-law problems forever and ever.

The only people I can stand in this season are Armando and Hannah.   There was a shot of Kenny from the side where his age really shows  He clearly said he needs to work in Mexico, which makes me think his Spanish must be better than they are letting on.  I can see that they would have enjoyed the visits Kenny made to Mexico, but I think as time goes by, Kenny will be much too bossy for Armando especially when it comes to raising Hannah. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, mamadrama said:

But now that she's there for good, reality has hit. He's learning that she's not the solid, mature person who can take control of life that he thought. He's on the outs with family and friends. She's...old. 

And reality is the polar opposite of his fantasy. She is not solid but a whiny, immature victim who bought in to her own fantasy.

Their fantasy was the same, each was going to save them from themselves, two needy adults looking for someone to be a grownup to do the heavy lifting that life requires. What adult, after being catfished, would drop her reality, go to a foreign country and live with an adult in his parents home while gaslighting the parents and befriending his mother, for an extended period of time and return to live on her daughters couch. And after finding out this guy is married, return to the foreign country, expecting marriage, without concrete proof he is not married.

What Summit gets is a person he has to take care of who has alienated his family and friends. He is unemployed, 20 grand in the hole living off her pittance of social security. He shows no ambition or drive to make something of their future.

I think that scene in the lawyers office was reality crashing through his fantasy.  

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Colfrmb said:

How does Bini find an apartment, sign a contract and get them moved so easily?  Is he losing his deposit?  Is he breaking his contracts?  Do they not provide long term contracts with lower rent?  I bet he would jump on those. How is it so easy to break a lease?  I felt bad for him when he said the current place was the best of anywhere he had ever lived and then the in-laws said it wasn’t enough.   How much space do you need for a young couple and an infant?I think they could live in a studio quite easily except for all the stuff that the in-laws brought over.  Maybe get a storage unit...

We didn't have to sign a lease in Kenya. No contracts and no deposit. I suspect it's a similar situation there. Contracts and leases may be required in the expat neighborhoods, in the pricier areas, but probably not where they are. Renting an apartment abroad doesn't always follow the same protocols are renting one here: contracts, deposits, first and last month's rent, credit check...Oftentimes it's done on a handshake. 

If what Bini is earning is enough to rent a place and pay the bills, is it really a "red flag"? The parents are upset that he can't provide a life based on American standards. If he can provide a life based on Ethiopian standards, however, then the only thing he's doing wrong is in the eyes of the Americans. 

If Ari and her family want her and Avi to live by their standards then either she's going to have to get a job or they're going to have to financially support them. 

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 7

@mamadrama,  interesting!  
I was surprised that rentals options in South Korea for Jihoon were, like, all cash up front and different terms like that.  So people have said. 

hey, question, Do you suppose this apartment has a washer and dryer? Is there a laundromat down the street in some of these areas? I don’t envision Ari handwashing very much.

Edited by Colfrmb
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, itsadryheat said:

Their fantasy was the same, each was going to save them from themselves, two needy adults looking for someone to be a grownup to do the heavy lifting that life requires. What adult, after being catfished, would drop her reality, go to a foreign country and live with an adult in his parents home while gaslighting the parents and befriending his mother, for an extended period of time and return to live on her daughters couch. And after finding out this guy is married, return to the foreign country, expecting marriage, without concrete proof he is not married.

What Summit gets is a person he has to take care of who has alienated his family and friends. He is unemployed, 20 grand in the hole living off her pittance of social security. He shows no ambition or drive to make something of their future.

Both of them are looking for someone to take care of them.  Bad combination.  

two needy adults looking for someone to be a grownup to do the heavy lifting that life requires.

That is right.  Neither one of them has an income (excluding reality show income), no one is self supporting.  Jenny was looking for a hot, younger man to take care of her and Sumit was looking for a white, American blonde woman to take care of him.

Jenny didn't "gaslight" (People use that word too damn much) the parents, she lied to them.  

40 minutes ago, Colfrmb said:

hey, question, Do you suppose this apartment has a washer and dryer? Is there a laundromat down the street in some of these areas? I don’t envision Ari handwashing very much.

And Ari probably would expect an apartment with a washer and a dryer.  I'd never expect that in Ethiopia, I wouldn't even expect that in the US.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mamadrama said:

We didn't have to sign a lease in Kenya. No contracts and no deposit. I suspect it's a similar situation there. Contracts and leases may be required in the expat neighborhoods, in the pricier areas, but probably not where they are. Renting an apartment abroad doesn't always follow the same protocols are renting one here: contracts, deposits, first and last month's rent, credit check...Oftentimes it's done on a handshake. 

If what Bini is earning is enough to rent a place and pay the bills, is it really a "red flag"? The parents are upset that he can't provide a life based on American standards. If he can provide a life based on Ethiopian standards, however, then the only thing he's doing wrong is in the eyes of the Americans. 

If Ari and her family want her and Avi to live by their standards then either she's going to have to get a job or they're going to have to financially support them. 

The mother did say she and her husband would help out but with the caveat that it would not be forever.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Jenny's shrieking, sobbing meeting with Sumit's brother and his wife had me cringing.

Jenny: I just want them to accept us!

Me: THEY DON'T.

None of this is that complex. You can't beg and shame people into agreeing with you, no matter how much you want them to! How has Jenny somehow missed that lesson in 61 years?

• Love 12
6 hours ago, Colfrmb said:

@mamadrama,  interesting!  
I was surprised that rentals options in South Korea for Jihoon were, like, all cash up front and different terms like that.  So people have said. 

I doubt there was one in the apartment. Washers and dryers are probably twice as much there as here. I was shocked in Kenya at the cost of dishwashers-$1500+ for 20yo models and people said that was everywhere. They do have washers/dryers in the youth hostels and most hotels, though, and laundromats in many of the communities. I bet Ari takes her stuff there or she pays a "laundry service"-ie, a woman comes and pucks them up and washes them. 

Deavan and Jihoon were living in an Air BnB at first. I wouldn't be shocked if their second one is also a short term rental. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I probably shouldn't pile on because I KNOW Ari is getting roasted on social media.  Not because on social media, because normally when it gets to the point where I'm annoyed, I KNOW that other people are outright offended. 

Did Fred bring one outfit to Ethopia?

Ari - "I don't want to fight" also Ari "don't kill a chicken in my general vicinity!  No I can't turn away!  No, no, no, I only eat foster farms!"

Ari -"I told Bini I wouldn't tell my parents about all our problems" also Ari "Bini is bad, he works all the time and won't get me a bigger apartment, FIX IT DADDY!"

Ari should be absolutely mortified for it to be made perfectly clear on national television that she has always been dependent on her parents financially and will always be.  And not just "here are a few bucks here and there" And her parents need to stop enabling her financially.  

Fred should be retired.  He might be one of those doctors who likes to work or enjoys the money, but he has worked hard, he should be travelling and enjoying the world.  

• Love 5
On 11/16/2020 at 10:07 AM, heatherchandler said:

I think they were trying to get an idea of how much he makes, and how often he makes it.  I mean, he does need to come up with a plan to make money regularly, and not just gigs here and there.  

I was thinking the same thing.  That chicken was luckier than the American chickens.  It is a true horror show, and I don't think most people realize the barbaric practices used in factory farming.  

I think that whole threatening the chicken killing was done for the show - like someone above pointed out, where would they cook the chicken parts, in the hotel rooms?

It sounds like Bini works for tips as a dancer.  

Do they know if there are even steady eddie 9-5 jobs in Ethopia?  Our family comes from a small, impoverished country and a majority of those steady eddie jobs are in government, which is incredibly hard to get into.  Or they normally require a lot of education because there are SO MANY PEOPLE who want a steady, regular income.  

Making these demands of him without even bothering to do a little research is silly to me.  

It sounded like they were just coming there to figure out how much it will cost to support Ari, Avi and Bini monthly and see if they can transfer funds directly.  

***************************************************************************************

oh hello divorce lawyer, how you doing boo, whats under that mask?

Did Sumit just give Jenny a keycard to protect her from Covid?  LOL

• LOL 3

OMG, next week elder Jenny vs. Parents Sumit, part 2, no holds barred title fight for Sumits soul!

Father Sumit "why don't you just go find some other oldie to marry!"  Shots fired!  Mother Sumit "you'll marry her over our dead bodies!" Explosive!

And was that a rare moment of something approaching selflessness from Jenny?  She needs to take her covid key card and go home.  

Sumit's brothers wife is so naturally pretty, fresh looking and sweet.  Geez, I know he is better looking, but they couldn't find someone as pretty and sweet as her for Sumit?

I know Melyza and Tim must be boring because when he and his mom were getting coffee the only thing I paid attention to was that black and white dog and that guy on his phone texting his friends in the background.  I seriously was wondering if that dog belonged to the guy, where the dog went, what was the dog doing, why wasn't he leashed, what was he barking at.  

10 hours ago, the-grey-lady said:

Jenny's shrieking, sobbing meeting with Sumit's brother and his wife had me cringing.

Jenny: I just want them to accept us!

Me: THEY DON'T.

None of this is that complex. You can't beg and shame people into agreeing with you, no matter how much you want them to! How has Jenny somehow missed that lesson in 61 years?

wasn't she the one who shunned her daughter when she first came out of the closet?

her daughter had to live her life and just hope her mother would accept it.  I don't see why Jenny expects more from Sumit's parents than she gave to her own child.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, politichick said:

The mother did say she and her husband would help out but with the caveat that it would not be forever.

Than that woman is lying to herself and her daughter. 

They will be bankrolling Ari for the rest of her life.  

• Love 10
13 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Based on personal experience and my spidey senses, I think they are completely going to just bankroll her forever, be it in Ethopia or anywhere else.  I suspect that mom went back to princeton and gave Fred a full report of how unacceptable, dirty and poor it was for princess Ari and started to tenderize him to the idea that they would have to pay for Ari's expenses.  

Her parents don't want to make Ari or themselves "feel bad" so they will say its temporary, but I bet its been "temporary" since Ari was born and it won't stop, until she marries someone with a good income.  She will then make him miserable.  I don't think parents want to admit that they have kinda raised a useless freeloader, you can't brag about that at the country club.  And I don't think any child wants to see themselves as a useless freeloader.  So, they all convince themselves that this help is just "temporary" and a decade from now they will be saying the same thing.  

15 hours ago, Adeejay said:

I don't particularly care for Ari, but I most certainly didn't like the way Bini's sisters came at her. The "you are behaving just like his ex-wife", comment struck a nerve with me, because their brother is the common denominator in both these equations.  If he were my brother, I would tell him that "foreign women" will only bring him heart break and that he would most likely be better off with a local girl.  Bini appears to be a decent guy and he seems to be doing his utmost best for his "little" family.  However, it's just a matter of time before Ari and Avi head back to Jersey.    

In a vacuum that comment was harsh.  But she made those remarks right after Ari chastised the woman for sharing her beliefs.  "If I catch you talking about hell around my son I'll cut you off" is really not the right approach or tone to take with anyone.  

Maybe the message is right, certainly Ari has the right to decide.  But if someone came at me with that attitude they would likely get it right back and in spades.  

• Love 9
On 11/16/2020 at 12:23 PM, Mean Jeanne said:

Not sure what’s going on with Brittany but she seems to get more unattractive with each episode. Maybe being a butterface is part of her motivation for the major flesh display

🥰

OMG I was thinking the same thing.  Her face looked outright mannish in that final scene.  She is doing it all wrong.  She should cover her body and have her makeup flawlessly done.  There are so many women in that area of the world who do their eye makeup beautifully because its what they can show.  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, RealReality said:

OMG I was thinking the same thing.  Her face looked outright mannish in that final scene.  She is doing it all wrong.  She should cover her body and have her makeup flawlessly done.  There are so many women in that area of the world who do their eye makeup beautifully because its what they can show.  

I'm glad someone else brought this up! I think she's getting less attractive with each step, too, and she wasn't working with much to begin with.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Are there really that many ex-pats living in Ethiopia that it would affect housing costs?

I agree that Brittany seems to be morphing in to a less attractive woman with each episode but if she were accepting of the culture and was a little less ignorant about how to adult in the situation she created would we see this change from IG "hottie" (which I never really saw her as hot) to 90 Day "nottie?"  

• Love 1
13 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I doubt there was one in the apartment. Washers and dryers are probably twice as much there as here. I was shocked in Kenya at the cost of dishwashers-$1500+ for 20yo models and people said that was everywhere. They do have washers/dryers in the youth hostels and most hotels, though, and laundromats in many of the communities. I bet Ari takes her stuff there or she pays a "laundry service"-ie, a woman comes and pucks them up and washes them. 

Deavan and Jihoon were living in an Air BnB at first. I wouldn't be shocked if their second one is also a short term rental. 

Or maybe Mama Ari brought a washer/dryer with her from the US, along with the fancy stroller, crib, car, and everything else Ari will need!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, RealReality said:

Sumit's brothers wife is so naturally pretty, fresh looking and sweet.  Geez, I know he is better looking, but they couldn't find someone as pretty and sweet as her for Sumit?

If I remember, they said the brother had just gotten married.  I wonder if there is any envy on Sumit's part, looking at his SIL and then Jenny.  The SIL is age-appropriate and has the parent's approval.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, RealReality said:

I know Melyza and Tim must be boring because when he and his mom were getting coffee the only thing I paid attention to was that black and white dog and that guy on his phone texting his friends in the background.  I seriously was wondering if that dog belonged to the guy, where the dog went, what was the dog doing, why wasn't he leashed, what was he barking at.  

I was waiting for the dog to poop which would have summed up my opinion of their story perfectly

Edited by magemaud
  • LOL 9
1 hour ago, lilysmom said:

Or maybe Mama Ari brought a washer/dryer with her from the US, along with the fancy stroller, crib, car, and everything else Ari will need!

Then Ari will want/need a dish washer - and a garbage disposal - because she doesn’t want to wait until 3am when Bini gets home from the club to have the the kitchen chores done.  Then the parents will decide they need an apartment upgrade and they will have to start all over again!

question: do you suppose there is Uber or another ride share app there?  Do they really need a car?  Ari isn’t going to be there that long anyway...

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Colfrmb said:

question: do you suppose there is Uber or another ride share app there?  Do they really need a car?

If there isn’t, Bini could make a bundle if he started one. 

But of course someone already thought of a work around 

“Uber-style taxi app ZayRide has launched in the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa, claiming it is ideally suited to the slower internet speeds encountered by users. Uber, at least for the meantime, is unlikely to launch in Ethiopia, meaning local firms have been given a head start in the taxi hailing sector.”

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, magemaud said:

If there isn’t, Bini could make a bundle if he started one. 

But of course someone already thought of a work around 

“Uber-style taxi app ZayRide has launched in the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa, claiming it is ideally suited to the slower internet speeds encountered by users. Uber, at least for the meantime, is unlikely to launch in Ethiopia, meaning local firms have been given a head start in the taxi hailing sector.”

Its interesting, because it seems like the Uber model would work everywhere.  People need to go places around the world.  But I find it fascinating to see the problems UBER encounters in other countries and competitors who understand the country and the needs of the population better.  

When we went to visit our tiny country my mom brought it up to a cousin, it was like "well you should start UBER out here" but there was something called a "dollar taxi" that was pretty much a minivan that would pick people up and take them to local venues with other local riders for a dollar, which is what 99.9% of people in the city needed.  The country and the city are fairly tiny, so people aren't using an uber to go a great distance, they just cannot afford a car and want to go to the local market or grocery store.  The internet service is horrible and if you have to really go far, you already know someone with a car who can take you.  The service was the right price, the taxis drove around all day and you could kinda catch one if you needed it (we didn't).  Uber would never make it there.  The rich ex-pats all live on the islands and even if they took the ferry to the city for supplies, the dollar taxi makes more sense, or if you are fancy, the 50 taxis just waiting at the ferry.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I'm glad someone else brought this up! I think she's getting less attractive with each step, too, and she wasn't working with much to begin with.

Even if she was the most beautiful woman on earth, that personality would make her ugly!!!!

Girl better keep showing those beeewbs!  🤣🤣🤣

• Love 3
19 hours ago, RealReality said:

I was totally focused on what the dog was doing during that ENTIRE scene!!  Wondered what he was barking at and was glad to figure out that he belonged to the guy who was playing on his phone.

• Love 2

Jenny’s over the top monologue was so over-the-top EXTRA and embarrassing! My stars, what a DRAMA QUEEN!

She is giving Kenny a run for his money as biggest drama queen. 

Fun reminder: Jenny and Kenny are just 4 years apart in age. 👀

And their names ryhme!

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, RealReality said:

Do we know the woman Sumit married isn’t pretty or sweet? Or at least that she wasn’t before discovering that she was married to someone who prefers women who need him to wash their hair and clip their toenails? 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
43 minutes ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

Do we know the woman Sumit married isn’t pretty or sweet? Or at least that she wasn’t before discovering that she was married to someone who prefers women who need him to wash their hair and clip their toenails? 

I would love to see what Sumit's ex wife is like but obviously I can't blame her for not showing her face on this show. How humiliating for her that he was "forced" to marry her when all the while he was pining for a woman who is older than his mother (and looks it!) yet acts like a child. I see nothing but regret for both of them if they get married. Sumit will be saddled with a whiny helpless woman whose looks and health will start fading and he will have to get a real job to support them. Jenny will be lonely as Sumit will forever be trying to make it up to his family and the romance of being star crossed lovers will be over when they are stuck with each other. Good. 😂

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

I would love to see what Sumit's ex wife is like but obviously I can't blame her for not showing her face on this show. How humiliating for her that he was "forced" to marry her when all the while he was pining for a woman who is older than his mother (and looks it!) yet acts like a child. I see nothing but regret for both of them if they get married. Sumit will be saddled with a whiny helpless woman whose looks and health will start fading and he will have to get a real job to support them. Jenny will be lonely as Sumit will forever be trying to make it up to his family and the romance of being star crossed lovers will be over when they are stuck with each other. Good. 😂

Yep, because Jenny, as she gets older, will age faster from 62 to 72 and even faster from 72 to 82.  That is not picking in her, it is just science.   Sumit, you think she does not want to go out now?  Try it in a few years!!!

9 hours ago, HelloOutThere said:

Jenny’s over the top monologue was so over-the-top EXTRA and embarrassing!

I actually had second hand embarrassment for her!  Sad, I know.....

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

I'm afraid that ship has sailed!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Kenny and Armando: Can’t say I was shocked that their marriage visa got denied. Mexico's laws regarding gay marriage is not surprising.  You are talking different laws and a Latino culture that does not encourage this.  Armando and his partner should have known this and figure out ahead of time how to deal with it. I wonder when they will start to talk about moving to the USA, where this is not an issue.

Jenny and Sumit: I don’t think Sumit’s family will accept Jenny anytime soon. In India, are pretty strong on their customs. According to their culture it is an embarrassment. I feel bad for Jenny, she is such a kind soul and Sumit is so wishy washy too. 

Plus, Sumit’s pulling back too.  He's divorced and wants to stay that way.  Their relationship is doomed, and Jenny needs to go back to the US.  

Ari and Biniyam: I see a lot of people on here think Ari’s parents were being condescending. I personally think they are being very polite for how horrified they probably feel inside!

Also, notice how he weaseled out of answering the income questions and never directly answered. So sometimes he goes out and gets paid nothing instead of staying home and helping with his child and keeping his girlfriend company. 

Brittany and Yazan: I believe Yazan didn’t tell Brittany the full details about what was going on while she was gone, probably because he knows she will just accuse him of lying about the situation cause she only believes what she chooses to believe. 

• Love 2
On 11/19/2020 at 12:30 AM, nutella fitzgerald said:

Do we know the woman Sumit married isn’t pretty or sweet?

On their couples page, someone posted a photo of a pretty woman who was supposedly Sumit’s wife, but now that I see Amit’s wife, it might have been a mistake and it’s actually her picture

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Hotel Snarker said:

I feel bad for Jenny, she is such a kind soul

I have to respectfully disagree.  She lied to his parents for months.  That is not a kind soul.

1 hour ago, Hotel Snarker said:

Ari and Biniyam: I see a lot of people on here think Ari’s parents were being condescending. I personally think they are being very polite for how horrified they probably feel inside!

WIth this, I 100% agree.  I would have been kinda horrifed at her surroundings, too.  I get it is Ethiopia, a beautiful country but very a VERY poor country at that.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Hotel Snarker said:

Also, notice how he weaseled out of answering the income questions and never directly answered. So sometimes he goes out and gets paid nothing instead of staying home and helping with his child and keeping his girlfriend company. 

I agree that Ari's parents were trying to be polite in a less-than-ideal situation involving their daughter and grandson.

Having said that . . . is it "polite" to ask someone how much they make?  It's not considered polite in my circle of friends or family, and it may be considered EXTREMELY rude in the culture of another country.  We've all given "what for" to people like Angela and Brittney for forcing American customs on people in another country, but asking someone how much they make isn't really looked upon with favor even here.  My daughter and her husband have been together for 20 years, and I have no idea how much either one of them makes.  I haven't asked, and if I did the answer would probably be "we're doing fine."

• Love 8

If Ari’s parents bought her a washer and dryer, she can take in laundry and get Bini a car for his shuttle service, they could bring in some money but it’s more likely their money will come from Western Union until ari goes back to her parents and Bini will have essentially lost two kids. 
Holy hell, I’m afraid Brittany is going to get somebody killed with her stupidity, if not there, somewhere!

• Love 6
10 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I agree that Ari's parents were trying to be polite in a less-than-ideal situation involving their daughter and grandson.

Having said that . . . is it "polite" to ask someone how much they make?  It's not considered polite in my circle of friends or family, and it may be considered EXTREMELY rude in the culture of another country.  We've all given "what for" to people like Angela and Brittney for forcing American customs on people in another country, but asking someone how much they make isn't really looked upon with favor even here.  My daughter and her husband have been together for 20 years, and I have no idea how much either one of them makes.  I haven't asked, and if I did the answer would probably be "we're doing fine."

I agree it's a rude question under normal circumstances, but as I've told my kids, when you rely on someone else to bankroll you, they get to know and be in your business far more than you'll probably like. 

• Love 11

Somehow, I managed to watch a different episode than the rest of you, because not only were Ari's parents very dismissive of the apartment, but when they were in the bathroom, Mom made a comment about there not being enough air for the two of them because it was so small, and her dad discovered a small washing machine. Then Ari said there was no dryer and her mom asked if that is why people hung their clothes off the balcony, to which Ari replied she hangs hers in the bathroom.

They had their noses in the air the entire time and commented negatively on everything. Bini looked embarrassed and her mom made a joke about how she could tell Bini wanted her to move in with them.

Even Elicia said that Deavan and Jihoon's small apartment was a great starter home. Ari's parents acted like asses. There was nothing wrong with that apartment.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Christina said:

Somehow, I managed to watch a different episode than the rest of you, because not only were Ari's parents very dismissive of the apartment, but when they were in the bathroom, Mom made a comment about there not being enough air for the two of them because it was so small, and her dad discovered a small washing machine. Then Ari said there was no dryer and her mom asked if that is why people hung their clothes off the balcony, to which Ari replied she hangs hers in the bathroom.

They had their noses in the air the entire time and commented negatively on everything. Bini looked embarrassed and her mom made a joke about how she could tell Bini wanted her to move in with them.

Even Elicia said that Deavan and Jihoon's small apartment was a great starter home. Ari's parents acted like asses. There was nothing wrong with that apartment.

Yes, I think some (me included) have been confusing nice with genteel, when Ari's parents are really the latter rather than the former.  Their tone and delivery blunt acidity and condescension of their real message.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2