Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Die Trying

• Start Topic

The older Cronenberg gets, the more he looks like the Amazing Kreskin.

To the point where for a minute or two I wondered if the show had enticed the old mentalist from retirement. But the speech cadences and the characteristic small intakes of breath finally convinced me it was DC instead.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, steelyis said:

Ever since Nightbreed I've been a fan of David Cronenberg's acting. He's not a great actor, but his presence on screen carries a lot of gravitas. And his scenes with Michelle Yeoh were amazing.

I loved Nightbreed! It’s cool seeing great directors like Werner Herzog and David Cronenburg acting in the Star Wars and Star Trek ‘verses.

• Love 3

CMIIW, but as far as the Bridge crew is concerned we still don't know much about Bryce and Reese, other than that they are good at thier jobs and pleasent to look at. *Shallow*

Edited by marinw
  • Love 1
On 11/13/2020 at 10:11 PM, Frozendiva said:

The cello song could be a musical expression of coordinates to get back to the proper century, or it could just be a song. There are only so many music notes and over hundreds of years, they could have been used many times. 

In just one octave, major scale, for a three minute song, there area a possible 7^720 which is approximately 3 followed by 608 zereos. Factor in that there are ten octaves, and this number doesn't include variations of rhythm.  So a coincidence of composition is unlikely, but of course not probable.

Mostly I just got BSG All Along the Watchtower vibes.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/12/2020 at 4:45 PM, Kromm said:

I had some real issues with this episode, even moreso since I think several of the past few have been pretty good.  While there's some spectacular stuff in terms of Worldbuilding and effects, the rest just seems amateur level writing.

Agree. Discovery, you started out so well the first three episodes of this season, and like an addict, you have fallen off the wagon. A few comments:

- Starfleet holding Saru hostage and threatening it would "come down on him" if the crew went rogue was like something out of pirate movie.

- In fact, the Starfleet of the future are kind of dicks. You can't spend a little more time understanding Discovery and what she knows before splitting up the crew? The ep tried to address that mindset, given the suspicion and "Dark Ages" comparison, but still, it seemed abrupt.

- As did future security officer's transition from "you people are nuts" to "you people work well together." Also, I would think 900 years of knowledge of overall progress would make her a wee bit more able to follow the engineers. Unless (see end of this post)...

- It seems like there is a better solution for Nhan than to kick her out of Starfleet because she wants to console and support someone from her planet. Picard would have given her leave, or a temporary assignment. Or some samosas.

- And worst of all, Michael as special snowflake is back. Nhan can't talk turkey with the grieving father because "they share the same ethos." But Michael can! Plus Michael fixed Trill world last week and now she is the source of all knowledge this week. That's a shame.

I ask again - what the hell is going on with Detmer? 

And ... why is the Federation in hiding? Something attacked *everyone* through dilithium, I get it, but is there evidence the target was the Federation alone?

FWIW, I had to stop this ep, and go rewatch the end of the prior ep because the immediate arrival at Federation space made me think I skipped an episode.

Credit where due: The show does try hard to explain why a 900-yo ship isn't laughed off the screen. Thank goodness for the spore drive and heart power. 

And I like the mystery of the song, which makes me think they are not in the future and instead are in some sort of experiment or test. Q perhaps?

• Love 1
On 11/29/2020 at 10:34 AM, Ottis said:

And I like the mystery of the song, which makes me think they are not in the future and instead are in some sort of experiment or test. Q perhaps?

Q is usually a lot more direct. He taunts people as part of his tests rather than setting up a mystery.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/12/2020 at 5:46 PM, starri said:

I liked Admiral Vance a lot, but it kind of surprised me that no one suggested that Disco's first assignment be to start repairing the subspace relays, so that the Federation planets could talk to each other again.

I had that thought as well; Discovery would be perfect for that job.

On 11/14/2020 at 1:38 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:
On 11/14/2020 at 1:11 AM, Frozendiva said:

Is Georgiu under some kind of mind control now? She was clever enough to take out the holograms but not David Cronenberg.

I'm pretty sure those glasses David Cronenberg was wearing were NOT just glasses.

I was thinking that her handling of his badge (the all-purpose thingy that Starfleet personnel in this future wear on their chest) had something to do with what's wrong with her. I don't remember the dialogue leading up to it, but he handed her the badge or put it on the table, she took it from him or picked it up from the table, and after handling it a moment she tossed it on the floor and stepped on it to destroy it. Does anyone remember this scene?

But it could be something with the glasses.