Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Every Brown Revealed

• Start Topic

Congratulations, @4leafclover!  You are today's winner of the entire internet!!!

In the episode where Christine agrees that the wrestling mats for Hunter can go in her house, she tells Kody he has to spend more time at her house as the kids have not seen him in a week.   The clear implication is that he doesn't see his kids unless it is their night.  Just as he was sleeping at Robin's when Christine took a very ill Truly to the hospital on her own.

Ok, I stand corrected.   But in the early episodes, especially the first one, he made a big show about going to see each family every day.  And even when they were living in the separate houses that were away from each other he was complaining about constantly going back and forth.  So at times it seems he has done this.  But it's true it might only be for the cameras.  Or else he's just not caring as much anymore.  I mean, not that I blame him cause that's hella stressful.  But then, no one forced him into this either, so there's a limit to my sympathy.

• Love 2

Absolutely. His favorite thing to do when the cameras are on him is run around, slamming doors, and flipping his wearwolf hair, as if he is the busiest man in America. Once they stop? You'd probably find him napping at Meri's or Sobbin's, much like the day Truely had to go to the hospital. 

• Love 5

Congratulations, 4leafclover!  You are today's winner of the entire internet!!!

Why thank you, Rhondinella!  I shall lovingly place the award in my imaginary trophy case with all of my other....uh....virtual awards!  lol

• Love 1

TLC might pay, but I still don't see a cruiseline willing to have their name attached to this show.  Even Carnival may not be this desperate.

Then again, I have been wrong before.  TLC will have to pay tons of money to blur out everyone else's face, since getting releases from everyone on the ship would be almost impossible.

• Love 2
(edited)

I get it. I would feel the same way as Meri. Just because she was taught that God wants her to be a sister wife doesn't mean she has lost her human nature. [snip] Jealousy is the normal reaction to your husband bringing in another mate to live with you. They can pay lip service to the "lifestyle" but primitive instincts kick in. Her reaction is normal.

Edited by Rhondinella
deleted comment about other "people"
  • Love 2

I thought the cruise was mentioned as a way for Christine and Meri to bond. Then Kody tried to get Janelle in on it too. No mention of Robyn being included. Perhaps because she would be "home alone" ?

• Love 1

I thought the cruise was mentioned as a way for Christine and Meri to bond. Then Kody tried to get Janelle in on it too. No mention of Robyn being included. Perhaps because she would be "home alone" ?

Here is my fantasy. It would be a special show called Big Sister Wife at Sea. The four wives would share a suite on a cruise ship. Each week they would compete to be Head of Household or to hold Veto Power. Each week one sister wife would be voted off the boat. As each sister wife was voted off she would be interviewed by Natalie Morales. 

• Love 9
(edited)

[snip] Jealousy is the normal reaction to your husband bringing in another mate to live with you. They can pay lip service to the "lifestyle" but primitive instincts kick in. Her reaction is normal.

[The problem] is the religion's insistence that women (and women ONLY) have to overcome that normal human instinct in order to become someone worthy of living for eternity on a Celestial Planet with those other mates. They spend their entire life miserable, hurt, feeling competitive and lacking because they are feeling normal human emotions, then they are made to feel even more miserable and lacking when they can't master those emotions in the name of their religion. [snip] Why would someone put themselves through all of that when there really isn't any way to suppress those types of emotions and come out of it healthy?

Edited by Rhondinella
snipped out reference to part deleted in post above
  • Love 7

Let's not use statements like "I don't get why people don't understand this."   It's just asking for trouble, and shows an unwillingness to be open to other ideas and real discussion.

Plus it sounds snotty.

Also, please don't respond to such statements.  Just hit the report button and let the mods take care of it.  Thanks.

Absolutely. His favorite thing to do when the cameras are on him is run around, slamming doors, and flipping his wearwolf hair, as if he is the busiest man in America. Once they stop? You'd probably find him napping at Meri's or Sobbin's, much like the day Truely had to go to the hospital. 

He reminds me of most toddlers at a certain stage, and one of my cats: constantly busy being busy. I couldn't keep up with 'em and match 'em move for move, even if I wanted to.

It bothers me too but I think the alternative options suck just as much:

Robyn's Daughter

Robyn and David's Daughter (who is david?)

Robyn's daughter and Kody's stepchild

It bugs me as an attempt to rewrite Robyn's past and maybe fool new viewers to the show.  I can't think of a good alternative though.  At least this was Breanna is treated like the other Brown children.

It bothers me too but I think the alternative options suck just as much:

Robyn's Daughter

Robyn and David's Daughter (who is david?)

Robyn's daughter and Kody's stepchild

It bugs me as an attempt to rewrite Robyn's past and maybe fool new viewers to the show.  I can't think of a good alternative though.  At least this was Breanna is treated like the other Brown children.

They should just say "(wife)'s daughter" or son. There's no need to mention Kody, so I wonder why they even do that?  (No, I really don't wonder; I'm sure Kody insists on it.)

• Love 2

My brother actually commented on this when he was watching the other day, he said we obviously know who the dad is, it's putting each kid to which mom that gets confusing.  Agree with the poster who said Kody insists on it, I could see him negotiating with TLC and not caring about bigger issues but dammit make sure each child is identified as mine.

Well, I actually like that Robyn's kids get equal camera time and inclusion in "The family (yikes, that just reminded me of the Manson family!)". It looks to me like they love being part of such a big family, and feeling included is important for kids. Especially when there are SO many other bio kids!

And it never fails to creep me out when I see the resemblance so many of them have to each other despite having different mothers. That damn Kody has got the strongest genes ever. Mariah and Mykelti look the same to me, and then there are all the little blond kids whom I can rarely tell apart. Madison seems to be the only kid who got her mom's look exclusively. And Ysabel (not even attempting whatever the real spelling is if it's not that) - she's going to be a looker. She doesn't have the Kody shark eyes like most all the rest of them do. And she's the one kid who never seems to have had a weight problem either.

It disturbs me that when Breana does couch interviews now, the caption identifies her as "Robyn and Kody's daughter."

Technically, Kadoofus is no relation whatsoever.  He's not married to Sobbin and can't adopt the kids without their father's consent.  So he isn't anything to those kids other than a male figure in their lives.  And not a very positive one since he only shows up occasionally.

• Love 3

Don't get me wrong, I think it's wonderful if the Browns/the show don't treat Robyn's kids as different or lesser.  I just thought it was creepy when Revisionist Robyn began indoctrinating the kids into calling Kody "dad" when they'd barely met him and they do have a father who is a part of their lives.  And I think it's creepy now that the show (or whatever poor schmuck at TLC is stuck writing the chyrons) is perpetuating that. 

I think the best option would be to label them as "Jenelle's kids," "Robyn's kids," etc.  That's how Kody himself refers to them.

• Love 2

It's a great idea. Meri, Janelle and Christine go on a cruise. Kody stays home with ALL the kids and Robyn. hehehe

• Love 2

Kody would just put the older kids in charge of taking care of the younger kids, getting himself off the hook yet again.

True, but he would have to do all the cooking because, well you know, Robyn's "too pretty to cook."  

• Love 2

@Higgin

I get it. I would feel the same way as Meri. Just because she was taught that God wants her to be a sister wife doesn't mean she has lost her human nature. [snip] Jealousy is the normal reaction to your husband bringing in another mate to live with you. They can pay lip service to the "lifestyle" but primitive instincts kick in. Her reaction is normal.

You're right. I get the human nature component of this all. I struggle with how jealousy seems to manifest itself in such nasty ways in Meri, again someone who grew up in the lifestyle, wanted this lifestyle and who you'd think would have some coping skills in this area. It's pretty clear that she treated Janelle terribly, so much so that Janelle moved out. It also seems like Meri is not friends with Christine. In this last episode they said something along the lines that they'd go on a cruise if they worked on a friendship. All the sisterwives admit to moments of jealousy but Meri feels like an outlier in terms of what it means to be a sisterwife and (seemingly) not wanting relationships with the other wives (just Kody). She bonded with Robin but that was because Janelle and Christine were a team and Meri finally had someone on her side.  We've seen their bond shift some too since Robin first joined the family. 

Robyn is one shrewd woman.  She knew that her options were running out when she was by herself, so she latched onto his crazy train, probably figuring that it was better than being by herself (a dubious assumption, in my opinion).

I still flash back to that psychic they had on one of the episodes.  She said something to Robyn like, "You've always been very resourceful and able to get what you want."  While I think Robyn is a goon in many respects, I also think she has a very scrappy side that knows what it takes to survive.  Sometimes I think I really underestimate Robyn.  She's kind of a chameleon.

Okay, here's a question: Their main job in real life is peddling some disgusting MLM vitamin drink, correct?  So why don't they just hawk that on the show?  Weird that it's never mentioned and we have to hear about joory instead.

• Love 2

I don't think they hawk the pyramid scheme drink too much any more. I am at a loss as to what Kody does besides running around and taking naps. I think he is doing something with the jewelry stuff, but I don't know what. I get the idea the Browns go from bad idea to bad idea with a few bankruptcies in between. If at least 3 out of the 5 adults actually had full time jobs, it could support the entire family. Then again, the kids all look well fed, well dressed and happy so they are making it somehow.

• Love 2
I don't think they hawk the pyramid scheme drink too much any more. I am at a loss as to what Kody does besides running around and taking naps. I think he is doing something with the jewelry stuff, but I don't know what. I get the idea the Browns go from bad idea to bad idea with a few bankruptcies in between. If at least 3 out of the 5 adults actually had full time jobs, it could support the entire family. Then again, the kids all look well fed, well dressed and happy so they are making it somehow.

I've said this before elsewhere, but I really do think they see "being a family" as a full-time occupation and the thing that should take up the large majority of their day.  Jobs are something you have only if you have to to pay the bills, and "careers" that are fulfilling in some other way than financial are frowned upon because it takes away from "family time."  And I think they get frustrated that the rest of the world won't support them in this "calling" to spend every hour of the day working on "being a family."  They want people just to throw money at them (via a TV show, or a jewelry business, or anything else) to enable them to continue living this way and seem confounded at times that people won't do that.  At least, I feel that's part of Robyn's frustration about My Sister Wive's Closet and not getting the investors to give them money. How dare they not help out a group of people who are so clearly living by a higher calling?

That's my read, anyway, and its annoying.  If they want to live a religious life that also supports them, they should have become nuns or priests.

• Love 12

I've said this before elsewhere, but I really do think they see "being a family" as a full-time occupation and the thing that should take up the large majority of their day.  Jobs are something you have only if you have to to pay the bills, and "careers" that are fulfilling in some other way than financial are frowned upon because it takes away from "family time."  And I think they get frustrated that the rest of the world won't support them in this "calling" to spend every hour of the day working on "being a family."  They want people just to throw money at them (via a TV show, or a jewelry business, or anything else) to enable them to continue living this way and seem confounded at times that people won't do that.  

This reminds me of way back when the Browns didn't own homes yet and Kody said he "deserves" to live better than a dirt farmer or some such nonsense. 

Why is it that I can imagine Logan four of five years from now in a good job and sending money to the parents after their gravy train has ended? Is that very far-fetched? 

• Love 7

^^^ IMO what is not farfetched in the least is how they will try to guilt Logan into doing so. But, oh how I hope he and his nice little wife resist and use their money for themselves and their nice little family. 

• Love 3

Or maybe he won't have a nice little wife and a nice little family until his late 20s or early 30s and will support the Kodettes on his own. Or maybe he'll have a big bossy strong wife who takes up all his time, money and attention personally ;)

Seriously I do think its likely that the older kids might end up supporting their parents and youngers sibs when the gravy train ends, as is not entirely unusual but I do hope they get to live their own lives as well.  

How dare they not help out a group of people who are so clearly living by a higher calling?

A big amen to that. It's the church of All About Me and the hell with the rest of the world. Only THEY deserve to live the "family life" and the rest of us are supposed to give them handouts to do it.  For the Christian family they purport to be, they sure have conveniently forgotten the "do unto others" mandate. Doesn't matter to them if the rest of us have to work two jobs to support OUR families as long as our welfare dollars and purchases of the crappy joolry and toxic waste drinks allow them to concentrate on that celestial planet.  

And I bet dollars to donuts that those type of questions will never be asked by the pseudo-interviewer tonight. It will be, yet again, all soft pedal stuff with nothing of substance.  Which is why I will skip it.

• Love 4
(edited)

This reminds me of way back when the Browns didn't own homes yet and Kody said he "deserves" to live better than a dirt farmer or some such nonsense.

Oh, great. Thanks for reminding me of one of the most ridiculous, insulting, outrageous things that ass has ever said on television. Now I'll be raging about THAT all day...

;)

The unending and UNDESERVED entitlement of the laziest man alive is the most galling thing of all about this freak show.

Still not planning to reward them with my eyes tonight (or ever again). Looking forward to the well-deserved snark here, though.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 6

I finally saw this episode tonight I agree it was really nice hearing from the kids, especially the ones that you rarely get focused on.

I really liked seeing the baby pictures and one of them kids when they were younger. I liked hearing the parents' describe each child. 

I loved all the praise Logan got from being so responsible but at the same time has no one ever asked any of the Brown parents why he was the one getting up to make breakfast for his brothers and sisters when he does in fact have a dad and two other moms? The same with Aspyn. If their lifestyle is so great why are the oldest kids shouldering so much responsibility? Its so hard not laugh when Aspyn would say she helped out when her mom was at work. When has Christine ever been at work? I felt a little for the one who believes everyone still sees her as a rebel. I can't imagine how much it would stink to be going through teenage years and being difficult on camera. I also enjoyed the expressions on Janelle's face at some of the stories Meri was telling. Yep those were clearly different versions of what really happened. 

• Love 2

So, the only child of Robyn's that is biologically Kody's is Solomon? Way to mislead the viewers, TLC.  I knew that Robyn had three kids before marrying Kody, but they made it seem like he adopted them or something. Are their last names even Brown? 

Well, it's certainly in the final 2.  But unfortunately I already awarded the Rhondinella's Totally Meaningless Daily Award For Best Post on One of Her Forums Awards (aka, the RTMDAFBPOHFA, or "the Rhondie" for short) to this post (penultimate post on the page).

It definitely wins this thread, though. :-)

I hope I'm wrong, but I think the only way he'll NOT become polygamous is if he falls in love with someone who refuses and puts her foot down.

Logan may very well do so if he gets to leave his family and avoid Utah. Being exposed to different ways of life would be wonderful for him especially if it produces

the love fo his life. If TLC reads this board, HINT: MINI SERIES!!!