Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Every Brown Revealed

• Start Topic

I missed the first 10 minutes, but given the next 50... probably didn't miss anything.

The only shocking thing, in the 'didn't know that' category was Breanna using her Mom's significant other's last name.  Often schools will let you do this, but I doubt her actual Dad (and his family) knew about it until last night.   Also, I think Breanna also needs tested.  She has issues.   And, that is all I am going to say about a pre-teen. 

The only other shocking thing was the fact that the parents admitted that Logan and Aspen were their rocks.  At least Janelle recognized that is why Logan is spreading his wings now and not at home often.   But, yes, where was Meri.  She could have fixed breakfast in her own kitchen for them while they were getting ready.  She was obviously there at that time of day since they never said Mariah had to fix breakfast or get herself up.  

I've thought Robyn was pregnant for a few episodes now... ever since her 'I can't get pregnant if we don't get money' outburst.  Some of her TH (the ones filmed much later) show her face as fuller.  Breanna also mentioned 'the one on the way' when discussing whether or not she would be the youngest daughter for long. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Somehow I just don't see Logan ever choosing polygamy, but actually that's a vote in favor of his character.

Kodouche definitely needs to lose the pony tail.  I think he looks even scarier with it than with his usual "wolfman" look.

It was nice to see the kids profiled, especially the ones we never hear about.  Christine's sensitive daughter seems like she is a HSP with migranes, poor thing.  Solomon is growing into a cutey.  The kids seem very well adjusted and coming along great.  If nothing else, the TLC gravy train has done the kids wonders.  I actually have to hand it to the adults, because it could have really wrecked up the family's life.  They were serious about bringing everyone together.  I think there was a wisdom in their madness.  Too bad it all seems so precarious and based on the TV money which looks like it's going to dry up in a season or two.

One thing I have to say about the kids - Despite their parents' wacky religion, they seem to be growing up right.  No "special snowflakes" or narcissists amongst them (save perhaps for Mariah), which is so prevalent today.

Robyn is definitely pregnant, IMO.  I've been hearing rumors of it all over for months now anyway, and I was wondering when it was finally going to be "outed" on the show.  It figures that they would leave it a cliff hanger to lure in more viewers next season (how predictable).  Too bad it seems to be turning more away than it is attracting....

Edited by Intuition
  • Love 1

The only shocking thing, in the 'didn't know that' category was Breanna using her Mom's significant other's last name.  Often schools will let you do this, but I doubt her actual Dad (and his family) knew about it until last night.

Most years in my elementary school class, I have at least one child who has a legal last name that differs from the name the parent requests the child go by. So we call the child by the 'goes by" name, but anything official like report cards, testing, etc. the legal name is used. Agree that Breanna seems a bit different than a typical peer. Wouldn't someone somewhere on the web have posted a picture of prego Robyn by now? I am praying TLC pulls the plug, I, too am done. I ff'ed thru this most of this season, but have loved the PTV comments.

• Love 1

I kind of liked this episode, but I like the ones that focus more on the kids instead of the stupid joory business. I like hearing more about their back story too. I laughed so hard when Kody was talking about when he and Meri first started dating and what a "good listener" she was. Perfect for Kody! He needed someone who would just shut up and let him ramble on. 

It's so interesting, yet weird, to hear about how all of the wives came into the picture. It's just strange to think in their culture you can outright flirt with a married man.

So funny how when they were all talking about Kody's eyes, Meri says - "Kody's eyes sparkles and you know they are only for you.....in that moment". Yea, you better add that last part! HA!

Another thing that stuck out to me was when they were showing an earlier video of the kids playing and Logan said, about some toy, "we can share this". Then little Mariah says, "that one's mine". And so the stage was set. 

It was great hearing that Garrison does ROTC. Did I miss Maddie? I know she was there, but I don't remember seeing her on the slide show? Also, I was nodding out at the end and my DVR cuts away the last few minutes sometimes....didn't Robyn have some big announcement this week? Is she pregnant? 

• Love 4

Another thing that stuck out to me was when they were showing an earlier video of the kids playing and Logan said, about some toy, "we can share this". Then little Mariah says, "that one's mine". And so the stage was set. 

Caught that, too. Heh.

• Love 2
Somehow I just don't see Logan ever choosing polygamy, but actually that's a vote in favor of his character.

I really don't see it happening either. I think he just stays vague about it as to not outright hurt his parents. Although, I really don't think Jenelle would care. She seems like a very supportive, accepting mother. But the way Logan has talked about it in earlier seasons, I do not think he is interested in polygamy. And now he's immersed in a culture where girls expect monogamy. No matter what, though, I think Logan would be a good father and husband. He probably learned a lot basically helping raise his 5 younger siblings. 

• Love 2

The "big announcement" was a cliffhanger . . . they announced the announcement, then one of the kids called Robyn to the phone.

Even back in the fake business presentation, Robyn was holding folders and stuff up, or standing behind things.  I remember back in the days when I used to watch soap operas, if the actress was pregnant but her character wasn't, there were all kinds of tricks they would use to hide the tummy.

I'm expecting the announcement to be the biggest non-surprise in the history of television . . .

• Love 2

Meri:  At one point, Janelle, Christine, and I were pregnant at the same time.

Robyn:  (shoulder punching Kody) Nice job, bud!

Me:  *vomit*

OH MY GOD!  I actually screamed at the TV!  These people....THESE PEOPLE??????!!!!!!????

• Love 6

I actually enjoyed much of this episode, as it was nice to see some individual focus on each of the kids. The only real cringe worthy moment for me was, when Janelle was talking about prior to having her last daughter- she said Kody asked her "well don't you want another baby?" And her response was something along the lines of "I was afraid I would have another Gabriel." I was imagining how it would feel for that boy to hear his mother say that, on television no less. I usually really like Janelle, but I would have chosen to leave that part out to spare my child's feelings.

• Love 4
(edited)

The only real cringe worthy moment for me was, when Janelle was talking about prior to having her last daughter- she said Kody asked her "well don't you want another baby?" And her response was something along the lines of "I was afraid I would have another Gabriel." I was imagining how it would feel for that boy to hear his mother say that, on television no less. I usually really like Janelle, but I would have chosen to leave that part out to spare my child's feelings.

I caught that, too.  There were quite a few moments like that throughout the episode.  You would think that a woman whose "husband" has repeatedly said that he views her as little more than a sexless brood mare would take care not to make comments like that about her kids.  Quite frankly, I think all of them have done pretty well considering the fact that their only father figure has been their teenage brother. 

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 3

It's sad for me to hear someone say Meri is irrelevant to the family because her daughter is in college and she doesn't have young children at home. So are women supposed to kill themselves or live in a cave when their children leave home?

Also don't like the comments on Mariah's looks. In my opinion all of the Brown kids are average looking, and all seem like good kids. I did notice a few of the kids with their heads in Meri's lap while they were watching the video and I continue to think Meri is a kind person who is good with the kids.

Janelle still strikes me as cold and I don't blame Meri for finding it hard to share her husband and life with a woman who sought out the religion and husband to somehow find herself. If Robyn is expecting it would be no where near as shocking as finding out one of them has a job.

Questions.......

1) How long was Janelle married to Meri's brother ?

2) Did they have any kids together ?

3) Was Janelle a "sister wife"  when she as married to Meri's brother ?

4) Why didn't they mention Janelle's 'other marriage' when they were doing the film monologue ?

(edited)

It's on my DVR and I was deciding whether or not to watch it, but the comments here seem to advise against it!

The focus of at least 80% of the episode was on the individual children -- in order of how they joined the family -- if that interests you at all.  I thought it was interesting -- I felt like I learned a little something new about most of the kids (especially the younger ones who don't get featured as much).

Whew.  Okay.  Here are my thoughts:

1. Why do Robyn's children refer to themselves as Browns and call Kody "Daddy?"  Did he adopt the kids or have they all encouraged another man's children to see Kody as their father?  Did their dad (a Jessop) relinquish custody to Robyn?  If not, what they're doing is dead wrong.

3. Kody's ponytail.  Just no.  I never thought I'd hear myself say that I prefer his standard shaggy, unkempt, filthy look.  He needs to take a long, hard look at his receding hairline and ask his barber for an adult hairstyle pronto.  If Kody has his people call my people, I will even offer to pay for the hair cut.

1 - Kody is Dayton, Aurora's and Breanna's stepfather (along with being Solomon's father), so I don't have a problem with them calling him Dad.  Even if they're "only" stepchildren, they've joined this family and I can see how it makes them feel more like they belong if they're calling him the same name that all the other children are calling him.  Referring to themselves as Browns I think is probably confusing for them (since their last name legally isn't Brown, as far as we know), but I can see why Robyn would be pushing it.  They could also be setting the kids up for the future -- see, for example, Amy "Duggar" (whose last name really isn't Duggar, but she uses it for name recognition to advance her career) -- not that I think any of the children have any hope of parlaying this reality show into some future career.

2 - I much prefer a clean cut look on 98% of all men (I can't really even think of an exception, but I'm sure there must be one I'm forgetting, which is why I've hedged with 98% rather than 100%), so I prefer the ponytail to the wild, shaggy look he normally sports.  I'd love it if he just cut it, once and for all. 

And I didn't get the cruise reference.  Bond with Christine?  Jenelle?  Forget them.  Meri needs to find something to do on her own because she just comes off as a big pile of depression.

I'm guessing next season (assuming there is one) will include a family vacation on a cruise.  I have to say -- when traveling with a big group, cruises are a great vacation.  Once you get on the ship, you don't have to worry about getting from one place to another, checking in and out of hotels, meals, etc.  Little kids can take naps in cabins, while bigger kids are at the pool or the kids' club.  Plus, most cruise lines have special activities for little kids, bigger kids and teenagers. 

The only shocking thing, in the 'didn't know that' category was Breanna using her Mom's significant other's last name.  Often schools will let you do this, but I doubt her actual Dad (and his family) knew about it until last night.   Also, I think Breanna also needs tested.  She has issues.   And, that is all I am going to say about a pre-teen. 

I've thought Robyn was pregnant for a few episodes now... ever since her 'I can't get pregnant if we don't get money' outburst.  Some of her TH (the ones filmed much later) show her face as fuller.  Breanna also mentioned 'the one on the way' when discussing whether or not she would be the youngest daughter for long. 

My daughter is 10 and I thought it was interesting that Breanna introduced herself as being 9 and had to be corrected by Robyn.  Birthdays are so important to most kids and I've never heard my daughter get her own age wrong.

I didn't think Breanna mentioned "the one on the way," but she did introduce herself as Robyn's youngest daughter (after she first introduced herself as Robyn's youngest child and had to be corrected about that as well) and Robyn said something like "the youngest daughter for now," which does definitely suggest that there will likely be additional children, but doesn't exactly confirm that she was pregnant at that time.  Unless I missed something.

It's so interesting, yet weird, to hear about how all of the wives came into the picture. It's just strange to think in their culture you can outright flirt with a married man.

It was great hearing that Garrison does ROTC. Did I miss Maddie? I know she was there, but I don't remember seeing her on the slide show? Also, I was nodding out at the end and my DVR cuts away the last few minutes sometimes....didn't Robyn have some big announcement this week? Is she pregnant? 

It was interesting hearing Christine talking about how she basically threw herself at Kody.  Perhaps that wasn't a good idea since all the polygamy-minded women out there now know that it's apparently okay to flirt shamelessly with Kody.

They had a segment on Maddie -- she talked about how her personality reflects qualities/attributes of each of the four wives.  With Meri, it was how Meri goes after what she wants (I believe that's what she said); with Christine, it was her nurturing, mothering side.  I can't remember what she said about Robyn, but IIRC, she hesitated for a second before saying anything -- almost like she was trying to think of something....anything....that she could say that she might have learned from Robyn.

I actually enjoyed much of this episode, as it was nice to see some individual focus on each of the kids. The only real cringe worthy moment for me was, when Janelle was talking about prior to having her last daughter- she said Kody asked her "well don't you want another baby?" And her response was something along the lines of "I was afraid I would have another Gabriel." I was imagining how it would feel for that boy to hear his mother say that, on television no less. I usually really like Janelle, but I would have chosen to leave that part out to spare my child's feelings.

I agree that the wording was unfortunate, but I could kind of understand.  I was what my mom likes to call "a handful" when I was little -- didn't really take naps at all (my parents called me their sleepless wonder), was always exploring (apparently my mom came into the kitchen once and discovered that I had somehow managed to climb onto the top of the refrigerator), etc.  I wasn't bad, but I definitely kept my mom on her toes.  (Aside -- on the plus side:  I potty trained myself around 27-28 months by simply announcing one day that I wanted to wear "big girl pants" from then on (and, according to my mom, from that day on I was indeed potty trained) and I taught myself to read at 3 1/2-4, so I did do a few things to make my mom's life easier.)  My brother -- who came along when I was 2 -- was super easy, on the other hand.  He slept easily (and often), was easy-going and laid back, etc.  My mom has said on more than one occasion that if my brother had been like me, she might not have had my sister or at least not right away (she came along 1 year after my brother).  So, I kind of get where the sentiment might be coming from, but I think Janelle could have worded it in a way that didn't seem like such an insult to Gabriel.

Edited by MMLEsq

Questions.......

1) How long was Janelle married to Meri's brother ?  6 months, I've heard.

2) Did they have any kids together ?  No.

3) Was Janelle a "sister wife"  when she as married to Meri's brother ?  No.

4) Why didn't they mention Janelle's 'other marriage' when they were doing the film monologue ?  Probably didn't know how it would play to the audience when the show first aired.  Now, they probably just don't think about it that much.

It was great hearing that Garrison does ROTC. Did I miss Maddie?

They did Maddie. In her new shot all the kids seemed to have, she is downright beautiful. I loved that picture of her.

I'm glad Garrison is in ROTC also. My oldest son is in JROTC in High School and he loves it. I also like that Garrison got something completely his own and did something not just because his brothers did.

Was also shocked to hear Breanna say "my name is Breanna Brown". Also for Kody to blurt out that Meri and Janelle need to fix their issues.

I liked this much better than jewelry crap.  I also liked hearing about the middle kids you don't hear about much.

• Love 1
(edited)

1 - Kody is Dayton, Aurora's and Breanna's stepfather (along with being Solomon's father), so I don't have a problem with them calling him Dad.  Even if they're "only" stepchildren, they've joined this family and I can see how it makes them feel more like they belong if they're calling him the same name that all the other children are calling him.  Referring to themselves as Browns I think is probably confusing for them (since their last name legally isn't Brown, as far as we know), but I can see why Robyn would be pushing it.  They could also be setting the kids up for the future -- see, for example, Amy "Duggar" (whose last name really isn't Duggar, but she uses it for name recognition to advance her career) -- not that I think any of the children have any hope of parlaying this reality show into some future career.

Not to nitpick, but Kody is only married to Robyn "celestially," so he really isn't the kids' stepfather.  He plays the role of one (as much as a man can who only sees his children one day out of every four).  Robyn got her name changed to Brown, but in order to change the kids' names, their father would have had to relinquish his parental rights.  I'm sure it varies slightly from state to state, but that's my understanding.  I've gotten the feeling several times over the last couple of seasons that Robyn pushes the kids to refer to him as their father.  I've seen a few scenes where she's corrected them.  It just makes me wonder how their actual father feels when he hears his children call some other man "Daddy" on national television.  I don't think it would make me feel very good.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 3
(edited)

I caught that, too.  There were quite a few moments like that throughout the episode.  You would think that a woman whose "husband" has repeatedly said that he views her as little more than a sexless brood mare would take care not to make comments like that about her kids.  Quite frankly, I think all of them have done pretty well considering the fact that their only father figure has been their teenage brother. 

Why would she say that? That was really mean. Maybe there is something they have taken out of context.

Edited by Higgins

My daughter is 10 and I thought it was interesting that Breanna introduced herself as being 9 and had to be corrected by Robyn.  Birthdays are so important to most kids and I've never heard my daughter get her own age wrong.

I wondered if she was 9 when they filmed this, but Robyn knew it wouldn't air until the child was 10 and therefore had instructed her to say she was 10.  I wouldn't put anything past these losers.

I sort of liked this episode because they discussed the children and it was nice to hear from each child basically about their life.  Guess Robin's Dayton is unable to speak out, I think he is the only one that did not speak.  Christine revealed things about Gwendolyn? having headaches and apparently has to have things calm around her, not the ideal family for that situation. Robin immediately chimed in about how she brings things down a notch and speaks very softly and sweetly when she comes to her house.  Robin always insinuates herself in these situations, so annoying.  Most telling to me was Mer's remarks about cruising just with Christine so they could work on their relationship and Kody saying her and Janelle should also work on their relationship.  It has been obvious numerous times and Meri and Janelle have no love for each other and it doesn't seem that either gives a dam.   I bet in private with Kody, those wives complain about one another like crazy.   Robin's announcement, who cares?

• Love 3

Christine revealed things about Gwendolyn? having headaches and apparently has to have things calm around her, not the ideal family for that situation. Robin immediately chimed in about how she brings things down a notch and speaks very softly and sweetly when she comes to her house.  Robin always insinuates herself in these situations, so annoying.  

I think it was Ysabel, not Gwendolyn.

I wondered if she was 9 when they filmed this, but Robyn knew it wouldn't air until the child was 10 and therefore had instructed her to say she was 10.  I wouldn't put anything past these losers.

That's a good point -- I hadn't thought about that.

I wondered if she was 9 when they filmed this, but Robyn knew it wouldn't air until the child was 10 and therefore had instructed her to say she was 10.  I wouldn't put anything past these losers.

I don't think Robyn is that bright.

• Love 10

Not to nitpick, but Kody is only married to Robyn "celestially," so he really isn't the kids' stepfather.  He plays the role of one (as much as a man can who only sees his children one day out of every four).  Robyn got her name changed to Brown, but in order to change the kids' names, their father would have had to relinquish his parental rights.  I'm sure it varies slightly from state to state, but that's my understanding.  I've gotten the feeling several times over the last couple of seasons that Robyn pushes the kids to refer to him as their father.  I've seen a few scenes where she's corrected them.  It just makes me wonder how their actual father feels when he hears his children call some other man "Daddy" on national television.  I don't think it would make me feel very good.

Legally -- yes, Kody and Robyn's marriage would not be recognized as valid.  For all practical purposes, however, they are holding themselves out as being married and Kody is acting as a stepfather, which is why I don't have an issue with Robyn's three oldest kids calling him Dad.  (This is not to say that I agree with how the adult Browns chosen to live their lives -- because I don't, at all -- and I certainly don't agree with forcing any of the kids to call him Daddy if they're not comfortable doing so, but none of them seem uncomfortable with it, IMO.)

Interesting to see kids we do not hear from often. It seems there are a few issues among all those kids. If I was Christine, I would be getting Isobel and Truely to a shrink and a doctor, in that order.

I wonder how this family will react when one of these 18 children comes out, assuming one does. And yes, I am assuming one will. 

Meri and Janelle. Sheesh. There is a living, breathing example of how this sister wife shit does not work out long-term. Those two ladies are not just not friends. They despise each other. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Where was Queen Meri with her 1 not-too-attractive-kid when Logan was up making breakfast before school for all the little kids...that was in Lehi, didn't Meri live a few feet away in her own section of the house?

Yes... Meri was in her kitchen literally handing Mariah a granola bar.  She was super busy.

Edited by SissyFrank
  • Love 6

The problem is that it appears that Robyn didn't allow the kids to just naturally start calling Kody "Dad".  There's footage of her telling one of her kids to call him that.

My parents were divorced when I was very young and then my mom remarried within a couple of years, so I naturally grew up calling my step-father "Dad". 

But when my uncle married a woman who had a 9 year old son, the boy called my uncle by his first name until a few years later when he was overheard telling other kids at a company picnic that my uncle was his dad.  When his mom spoke to him about it later, he simply said that my uncle was also his dad.  Not long after, the boy was calling both men Dad, but had no problem differentiating them apart.  He did what I did, he called both men by the same name, but when he thought of one dad he had a clear picture in his mind of who that man was and how that man fit into his life.  Anyone who knew the boy well could tell what man he was talking about when he said "My Dad".

Robyn appears to be so desperate to fit in to the Brown family that she forced her children to instantly start calling Kody "Dad".  For her own benefit, she denied her children the time and emotional inclination to view Kody as another dad.  Robyn sucks.

• Love 8

The problem is that it appears that Robyn didn't allow the kids to just naturally start calling Kody "Dad".  There's footage of her telling one of her kids to call him that.

Robyn appears to be so desperate to fit in to the Brown family that she forced her children to instantly start calling Kody "Dad".  For her own benefit, she denied her children the time and emotional inclination to view Kody as another dad.  Robyn sucks.

Yes.  This is the main reason I have a problem with it.  He didn't earn that title over time with love and respect.  The children were trained and drilled to call him "Daddy" from the beginning (before they were even "married") and corrected when they didn't.  There's nothing natural about that.  Underneath all of the tears and overwrought sensitivity, Robyn is one shrewd woman.  She knew that her options were running out when she was by herself, so she latched onto his crazy train, probably figuring that it was better than being by herself (a dubious assumption, in my opinion).

• Love 2
(edited)
I wonder how this family will react when one of these 18 children comes out, assuming one does. And yes, I am assuming one will.

They discussed this in a previous season and in their book, and they were all emphatic that they would completely accept it.  Janelle even pointed out that in a group of this many kids, at least one of them is bound to be gay.  And Christine said one of her girls had already come to her with questions about it and they had a good talk.  I know you can't always believe everything they say, but they came across as 100% believable on this topic.  

Edited by bren70
  • Love 2

What I've watched so far....

Hunter has turned out to be a lovely young man.  I was impressed with him last night.  

I can understand Christine panting after Kody when he was younger.  In those circles I think he was probably a catch.  Shocking to hear her admit it though since she's such a prude.  

Kody with his hair pulled back.  He should just get a tidy short cut.  His face/jawline is still acceptable but the shag is gross and the ponytail is ridiculous.  

• Love 4

They discussed this in a previous season and in their book, and they were all emphatic that they would completely accept it.  Janelle even pointed out that in a group of this many kids, at least one of them is bound to be gay.  And Christine said one of her girls had already come to her with questions about it and they had a good talk.  I know you can't always believe everything they say, but they came across as 100% believable on this topic.  

I agree that with this number of kids, at least one is bound to be gay, but I doubt that the adults will be all that okay with it (maybe with the exception of Janelle) if/when they do come out.  Especially Robyn, who is showing herself to be the least tolerant of any of the wives. 

(edited)

Well, if one or more of the children comes out, I'd hope that the rest of the family would support them.  It's like what I've told my own kids "Yeah, if you realize you are gay, I admit that it'll be a shock.  But I'll adjust, because I love you and I'd rather have you happy instead of you feeling like you're less-than, or damaged, or evil."

[snip]

Edited by Rhondinella
way off-topic
  • Love 7

The one thing I would have loved to hear about was how Christine came up with her ridiculous kid names.  Only Aspyn has a relatively normally spelled name and even that one is kind of off.

• Love 1

Legally -- yes, Kody and Robyn's marriage would not be recognized as valid.  For all practical purposes, however, they are holding themselves out as being married and Kody is acting as a stepfather, which is why I don't have an issue with Robyn's three oldest kids calling him Dad.  (This is not to say that I agree with how the adult Browns chosen to live their lives -- because I don't, at all -- and I certainly don't agree with forcing any of the kids to call him Daddy if they're not comfortable doing so, but none of them seem uncomfortable with it, IMO.)

They don't have a choice but to be comfortable with it. They were instructed from day one to call him Daddy and even corrected when they didn't. So their choice was to get comfortable with it. To me that's being forced and is wrong. 

• Love 1

The only real cringe worthy moment for me was, when Janelle was talking about prior to having her last daughter- she said Kody asked her "well don't you want another baby?" And her response was something along the lines of "I was afraid I would have another Gabriel." I was imagining how it would feel for that boy to hear his mother say that, on television no less. I usually really like Janelle, but I would have chosen to leave that part out to spare my child's feelings.

I didn't think twice about her comment about Gabriel...mothers talk all the time to their kids about how they were as a baby, difficult vs easy.  It doesn't mean they even keep that personality as a child.  I know I mentioned to my son when he was becomming a father for the first time, what a pain he was as a baby. Horrible baby....great kid and adult.

What COULD Robin's news be besides a new baby. We've heard more than we ever want to know about Sister's Wife Closet.  It's not like she is returning to college or getting a job or leaving.  And there was that snarky response from Kody when the subject whether Robin was pregnant came up.

I could care less if Robyn is pregnant. The announcement I want to hear is that the investors evaluated, and they are out of there. Hasn't enough time passed that this should have happened by now?

• Love 1

Robyn was super annoying this episode. Not only does she knows every single child sooo well, but she just have to give her 2 cents. I wonder if Robyn knows anything about this old saying, "Empty heads make a lot of noise." Someone should put that on a plaque and send it to her as a reminder for her to keep her big ass mouth shut sometimes.

I was also annoyed by how she had to let Christine in on her secret to raising Christine's daughter, because of course, Robyn knows all.

• Love 5
They had a segment on Maddie -- she talked about how her personality reflects qualities/attributes of each of the four wives.  With Meri, it was how Meri goes after what she wants (I believe that's what she said); with Christine, it was her nurturing, mothering side.  I can't remember what she said about Robyn, but IIRC, she hesitated for a second before saying anything -- almost like she was trying to think of something....anything....that she could say that she might have learned from Robyn.

Thank you. 

I don't know how I missed her segment. I must have gone too fast with my DVR and not been paying attention. I've always liked Maddie, and also always gotten the impression that she doesn't like Robyn. Teehee. 

Legally -- yes, Kody and Robyn's marriage would not be recognized as valid.  For all practical purposes, however, they are holding themselves out as being married and Kody is acting as a stepfather, which is why I don't have an issue with Robyn's three oldest kids calling him Dad.  (This is not to say that I agree with how the adult Browns chosen to live their lives -- because I don't, at all -- and I certainly don't agree with forcing any of the kids to call him Daddy if they're not comfortable doing so, but none of them seem uncomfortable with it, IMO.)

I am on the fence with the way Robyn seems to have pushed her kids into calling Kodouche "Dad", but I think it might come from her screwy logic, and perhaps her religion too.  She thinks the kids MUST have a father and either she figures it's psychologically better for them to call him "Dad" or maybe there's something in their religion that makes them think they are better positioned for heaven if they have one, I don't know.  Or perhaps because she is no longer married to their real father, the kids now have no father at all in her mind and therefore need to be "reassigned" to one.  These people seem to think they can make their own rules about relationships anyway.  Robyn sees herself as married to Kody so therefore in her mind he's the kids' stepdad.  

What really bothers me is the way they introduce her kids as "Robyn and Kody's".  They are not Kody's kids biologically.  They are not even legally his step kids (unless he adopts them) but they seem to think they can take liberties with the assignment of formal relationships in general (i.e., most of the "wives" are not legally wives so it's no wonder).  This reassignment and fudging with legal and formal family relationships may or may not be coming from the tenets of their fundie. Mormon faith.  Mormons think they can baptize people into Mormonism after they die so perhaps they also think they can reassign children to different parents biologically with some sort of blessing or whatever.  I'm just speculating here.

• Love 5

I can see it now:  The show has been cancelled for years and then one of the younger kids (let's say Sol just because Robyn would be hella annoyed) announces that he's gay or whatever.  Of course if it was SOL Robyn and Kody would be shocked and freak out...but then just like Kate G, Kody will figure out that HEY!  maybe TLC would be interested in doing a SPECIAL.  And there you have it, Sol's coming out of the closet SW Special.  Kody still won't like it, but with him, it's all about the Benjamins, preferably when acquired for as little effort as possible.

• Love 2
What really bothers me is the way they introduce her kids as "Robyn and Kody's". They are not Kody's kids biologically. They are not even legally his step kids (unless he adopts them) but they seem to think they can take liberties with the assignment of formal relationships in general (i.e., most of the "wives" are not legally wives so it's no wonder). This reassignment and fudging with legal and formal family relationships may or may not be coming from the tenets of their fundie. Mormon faith. Mormons think they can baptize people into Mormonism after they die so perhaps they also think they can reassign children to different parents biologically with some sort of blessing or whatever. I'm just speculating here.

Any way you slice it, Robyn's kids by her prior marriage are sealed to their real father, and I don't think she can change that unless he leaves the church or something.

While we can only speculate on what Logan (or any of them for that matter) will do in terms of plural marriage they do seem like an intelligent bunch. I would hope that they are paying attention to how disastrous a financial situation their pseudo-adult parents have created with this idiotic lifestyle.  Certainly when the TLC train derails (which should be any time since the story lines are such a boring snooze) and they lose everything the kids will be hit with the fallout and know it is totally the fault of the clown squad.  And I'd bet my house that the investors (if they are not just paid actors and it's just a plot point) yank the rug out from under the hobby AKA the Joorey Biz and they need to flee back to Lehi to dodge the big bad biil collectors who are, of course, only persecuting them because they are polygamists.

All of the grifting, welfare fraud, and pyramid schemes have got to be red flags for all of those kids when it comes to considering embracing polygamy, celestial planets or no.

• Love 1

I wonder if Robyn knows anything about this old saying, "Empty heads make a lot of noise." Someone should put that on a plaque and send it to her as a reminder for her to keep her big ass mouth shut sometimes.

I would contribute to that plaque ha ha...we could make a group gift from all her fans ;)

The Meri/Janelle dynamic is one of the few things that interest me about this show, I'd love to put those two in a room together and see what happens.  I wonder what Janelle's kids think about their relationship, I know I personally would have a real issue with someone who treated my mom like shit for years and years.

• Love 6

I actually felt bad for Robyn that there was so much pearl-clutching regarding her divorce while Janelle's wasn't even mentioned.

I really enjoyed learning about all of the kids. It seems there are some "issues" with the middle children that are hopefully just growing pains.

They do a good job of hiding Meri and Janelle's conflicts on the show. I thought the awkwardness was just about the kitchen shit 20 years ago, not current problems.

(edited)

As far as the Dad issue, my high school best friend always called his fathers "My Dad and my other Dad"  He lived with his Mom and her husband, and her husband had been in the picture from a young age, but his bio. Dad had always been in the picture too and everyone was on friendly terms.  Although my friend considered his stepfather to be his real father.  Contrast this to my sister and my Dad.  My Dad and my Mom born when my sister was around 1, and I was born when she was 5.  He adopted her when I was born and she took his last name.  Her bio Dad was NEVER in the picture, and when she was a baby, he had tried to kill her.  Yet she never considered my Dad her Dad (she did call him Dad, and still does when she talks to me which is rare), and as adults she won't speak to him, but she speaks to her bio Dad and her brothers and sisters from him.  Family dynamics are weird like that.  So I can see where Robyn's kids would consider Kody their Dad, even with prompting.  But I can fully see Robyn's kids calling him that, and calling their bio Dad Dad/Daddy as well.

As far as one of the brown kids being gay, it will happen.  Janelle will be fine with it-- and for some reason, I think Meri will be fine with it too.  Especially because she knows Mariah is pretty much the only kid who wants polygamy.  Kody will not be okay, especially if it is a son.  Robyn will hate it, and Christine won't understand, but she'll come around eventually.

As for Robyn being pregnant, yeah if it isn't that, the producers sure have been hinting all season that she is pregnant so that officially means that they've been grasping at straws.

Edited by spidermiss2426

Oops I obviously am not very good with quotes! Last night I rewound Janelle's statements about Gabriel, just to see if I would feel the same way- and I did. I just imagined Gabriel watching the episode, and listening to all the fun and positive things being said about his siblings, only to hear his parents mention in numerous ways how difficult he has been. That's why the "I was afraid I would have another Gabriel" bothered me so much. Not to mention, he is still growing up; it's not like she is talking with him when he's an adult and laughing about what a pain in the butt he was. Words carry so much power, and I was really surprised that that was what she chose to say about her son on television.

Yes I am probably being over sensitive; for me, imagining my daughter hearing me say the same about her would be so hurtful. I was surprised to hear Janelle say that when the purpose of the interview was to celebrate each child.

• Love 6

I didn't think twice about her comment about Gabriel...mothers talk all the time to their kids about how they were as a baby, difficult vs easy. It doesn't mean they even keep that personality as a child.

I think this was probably taken out of context and/or edited.  Plus, we don't know about conversations they have had in the past.  My son used to love having me tell the story about what an ugly baby he was (nearly 10 lbs, crooked nose, black eye and scratches on his face at birth).  Of course, I always ended with how cute he turned out.  I'm not all that concerned about what Janelle said.

• Love 3