Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: Fighting Ghosts

jewel21
  • Start Topic

The team responds to the shooting of a 5-year-old girl and must work the case while facing new obstacles that come from the heightened attention on police reform. Atwater is targeted by a group of officers who want to hurt him for standing against the blue wall. Voight questions whether he's cut out for a new form of policing as he manages oversight from the CPD's deputy superintendent.

Airdate: 11/11/2020

Good start to the season... The reactions felt realistic from Atwater  Voight and Upton... With Ruzek and Jay kinda just being supportive and what not... Why isn't the show letting Kim be a friend to Kevin... Its weird how distant they are.... And I felt Kevin's rising frustration.. If I heard another.. "You gotta understand" or some variation of it I woulda snapped too. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I had forgotten that Atwater and Kim used to be friends. You're right, it is weird that she had pretty much no interaction with him. 

I kept getting distracted by how they filmed stuff during a pandemic with no masks and everyone standing together. I think I am used to watching "The Young and the Restless" where the actors are standing 6 feet apart and not allowed to touch or kiss that I found this jarring. On the one hand, it kept taking me out of the show, but on the other hand I had missed that type of normalcy. Although, ironically, I no longer consider it normal, heh. 

I'm looking forward to next week. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, UnoAgain said:

Why isn't the show letting Kim be a friend to Kevin... Its weird how distant they are.... 

Adam is Kevin's friend now and apparently he only needs the one. Seems they dropped the close bond Kim and Kevin shared in earlier seasons in favor of Kevin and Adam's partnership. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Sorry, but IMO, the less Kim the better.  I know that she and Kevin were partners and friends, but Kim is my least favorite of the core main characters.  Nothing at all against the actress, she seems lovely and does the best she can with the material she's given, but they don't write the character as a convincing cop to me.  

I love that Atwater finally got a big story and is a main focus.  He's needed that for years.  That said though, I'm also going to need more Halstead and less Ruzek. 😉  

Are we going to see the end of Voight and Voight's ways?  I doubt it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a temporary shift in control of the unit.  I think they hinted to that last year.  Too bad Antonio (sober, good, early seasons Antonio) is gone because he would have been the perfect replacement.  The hint seemed to be towards Halstead, but isn't he a bit young still?  

• Love 2

So the dirtbag gets kicked because of the bad "fruit of the poisoned tree" search. That's not up to the DA, that's up to a judge to decide. The DA is there to prosecute the offenders (dunh dunhhhhh). But so what. Even if you exclude the evidence prior to the warrant being improperly executed, you have surveillance video of the perp committing the assault and firing the weapon, video surveillance taken of someone matching his precise description with a strong connection to the woman, and a very strong motive. Pull his cellphone records to get GPS coordinates, and if you're lucky you place him at both scenes at the correct times. Any lawyer worth more than $1.50 will make a deal for 15-25 years for manslaughter and the DA will take the conviction in a heartbeat.

And if not, present that evidence as a circumstantial case to a jury and hope they feel for the fact it was an innocent child that died. Since the shooting occurred during the commission of an armed robbery they could probably go for first degree murder and ask for LWOP, along with lesser-included. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

The hint seemed to be towards Halstead, but isn't he a bit young still?  

I kinda wish they'd let him run it for a while.. He's more level-headed and also a bit more lenient.. But not a pushover... And he's senior to Kim and Kev.. Who I also think would be good choices.. But again age/seniority... Also wouldn't mind pairing Upton and Atwater up for a while.. One cuz.. When she first came on it was ridiculous how little they interacted or even appeared together and two.. Her cop first partly "color-blind" attitude ( cuz I don't think she has any racial bias.. Not even really subconsciously)  but sometimes that over correction to not see race in addition to systems that have a history of systemic racism are also  problematic.. But it would be a  good story... Types like her can get defensive and flustered when confronted with racial realities and how their refusal to see race ( in an attempt to be non-discriminatory)  can actually be a hindrance.. And Kev could see how otherwise decent and good ppl can come real close to looking like racistsracists if you aren't digging deeper into their thought process.. Which inevitably leads to more issues.... But that seems like a pipe dream as I'm guessing the show will keep everyone where they are and eventually we'll find out the new superintendent is somehow a bad guy who's keeping intelligence from doing their job.. Like all higher-ups in the Chicago-verse that dick wolf created 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, NJRadioGuy said:

So the dirtbag gets kicked because of the bad "fruit of the poisoned tree" search. That's not up to the DA, that's up to a judge to decide. The DA is there to prosecute the offenders (dunh dunhhhhh). But so what. Even if you exclude the evidence prior to the warrant being improperly executed, you have surveillance video of the perp committing the assault and firing the weapon, video surveillance taken of someone matching his precise description with a strong connection to the woman, and a very strong motive. Pull his cellphone records to get GPS coordinates, and if you're lucky you place him at both scenes at the correct times. Any lawyer worth more than $1.50 will make a deal for 15-25 years for manslaughter and the DA will take the conviction in a heartbeat.

And if not, present that evidence as a circumstantial case to a jury and hope they feel for the fact it was an innocent child that died. Since the shooting occurred during the commission of an armed robbery they could probably go for first degree murder and ask for LWOP, along with lesser-included. 

The reasoning to kick him seemed pretty flimsy based on all the other evidence.. But I know it was just meant to push the plot that the "rules are changing" and yadda yadda... It was further pushed when the Sgt.. Made a comment about ppl "now" paying attn to the fine print.. Which kinda got under my skin as its a tacit confession that the way things were done before weren't actually the way they shoulda been done according to the rules.. But just weren't. 

Eriq LaSalle did a great job with this one. I was watching on my exercise bike and I can tell if I'm watching something good, because I pedal faster. But, at the very last five minutes, I stopped altogether and leaned over the handle bars to take it all in. 

• Love 2

As always when Atwater is front and centre LaRoyce delivers. Why they don't use him more often? (And give him a love life FFS)

Ruzek actually backing him up was great to watch and the way he lead him away from Voight at the end was unexpected. I was pleasantly surprised that he actually continued out with him rather than stand by Voight and watch him go, so that was good for me.

We always knew the show would go this route, how long it lasts is yet to be seen but it did feel a little like being hit over the head with a big stick about it. They could've been more subtle and nuanced with all the anvils, but when has this show been subtle.

It was disappointing that Burgess didn't get involved, not even a word of encouragement to her former Patrol Partner, that was weird. I did like how she got Ruzek to back down and put him in his place. And he accepted it and didn't argue and it didn't turn into some full blown tanty like it would have if he was still screwing the other one.  

Contrast that with the other two, Upton sadly returned (ugh) and still has that smirky my shit doesn't stink attitude and her little rant was typically awful and rather than apologise to Kev she whines to Halstead that people misunderstood her. No honey, you said what you said, your actions last season prove that's what you believe and that's who you are. Halstead being the good little puppy dog that he is strokes her ego rather than grow a set and tell her she was way off base. He has no right to say anything about what Kev 'knows or feels', one he has never asked him & two he doesn't get to whitewash Kev's experiences. Those two together are as dull as rocks.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what happens next week, and that hasn't happened in a long time (even with the heavy handed treatment they gave the topic....Voight should never ever say the word 'woke' again, unless he's talking about getting out of bed.)

Welcome back people 🙂

Edited by Guildford
To add more
  • Love 8

LaRoyce’s talent has been wasted for long enough. I’m loving this storyline with him being front and center. Haley is what happens when people try not to see color. She deserved every bit of that tongue lashing she got from Kevin. Jay needs to be quiet, he doesn’t get to speak on Kevin’s experiences. Kevin is a black man who is dealing with systemic racism, something that no one on his team will ever understand. Even though Kevin and Voight had that argument, I still expect Voight to be Voight and take someone out to the silos.

• Love 4
On 11/12/2020 at 12:12 AM, jewel21 said:

I had forgotten that Atwater and Kim used to be friends. You're right, it is weird that she had pretty much no interaction with him. 

I kept getting distracted by how they filmed stuff during a pandemic with no masks and everyone standing together. I think I am used to watching "The Young and the Restless" where the actors are standing 6 feet apart and not allowed to touch or kiss that I found this jarring. On the one hand, it kept taking me out of the show, but on the other hand I had missed that type of normalcy. Although, ironically, I no longer consider it normal, heh. 

Me, too. I kept wondering if they were in a non-COVID world until I saw a “6 feet distance” sign in the precinct house. I watch “The Bold and the Beautiful” (guilty pleasure), and they do the same as Y&R.

So glad to see Jason Beghe again. I love his sexy voice! 😏

• Useful 1
On 11/12/2020 at 7:03 AM, NJRadioGuy said:

👨‍🎓My JD from the University of Law & Order says that as the deputy of the elected State's Attorney the assigned prosecutor has the duty to kick a bad case and not waste the courts time

• Love 1

Except that wouldn't have been a bad case. It would have had problems, but not insurmountable ones. It would have been an easy indictment, I think, and enough to get it before a trial judge. And if you get the "right" one, some or all of the evidence might not be excluded. Now if the prosecutor was under orders to kick it from "on high" due to the optics of the thing that's a different matter.

My JD is from the University of The First 48 🙂 (and knowing a bunch of investigators in a past work life). A case like this one would be a slam dunk in real life, in most of the country, but this year's political turmoil might have changed things. 

Edited by NJRadioGuy
30 minutes ago, mommalib said:

Kevin Atwater is the man, I have been waiting for years for someone to say to Voight what Kev did. And I'm glad he sent shots at Haley too. 

Yeah I think ppl forget that Voight is an ex-con who's gotten away with at least one murder... That subsequently got his friend killed... As much as I like the character I can't abide him getting to high on his horse... As for Upton.. As I don't have any hate for her the way some do I wasn't giddy ahead got snapped at.. In fact I wish it woulda led to some more real discussion instead of her talking to Jay and him saying everything was ok... But her reaction to the new super is expected and to me at least realistic 

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, UnoAgain said:

Yeah I think ppl forget that Voight is an ex-con who's gotten away with at least one murder... That subsequently got his friend killed... As much as I like the character I can't abide him getting to high on his horse... As for Upton.. As I don't have any hate for her the way some do I wasn't giddy ahead got snapped at.. In fact I wish it woulda led to some more real discussion instead of her talking to Jay and him saying everything was ok... But her reaction to the new super is expected and to me at least realistic 

Haley think she Voight jr and she's really smug about it so i'm glad Kev went at her. And  it would have been better if she spoke to Kev instead of Jay.

Edited by mommalib
  • Love 3
On 11/12/2020 at 12:12 AM, jewel21 said:

Totally agree about the lack of masks on this show and Chicago FD.

18 minutes ago, cameron said:

Totally agree about the lack of masks on this show and Chicago FD.

A few of the characters were wearing neck gaiters but we very rarely if ever saw them pull them up. Of the handful of shows I’ve seen recently that filmed during the pandemic and are now airing episodes set in present time, PD was the most lax about incorporating masks and considering the premise of the show is cops interacting with the public, you’d think they’d be better about it. But then again I’ve seen plenty of real cops not wearing masks as well. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SadieT said:

A few of the characters were wearing neck gaiters but we very rarely if ever saw them pull them up. Of the handful of shows I’ve seen recently that filmed during the pandemic and are now airing episodes set in present time, PD was the most lax about incorporating masks and considering the premise of the show is cops interacting with the public, you’d think they’d be better about it. But then again I’ve seen plenty of real cops not wearing masks as well. 

The question is how current? Both S.W.A.T and N.C.I.S. New Orleans were set  early in the pandemic response. On S.W.A.T they even gave us a line of dialogue when mask were not recommended to save them for medical personnel.

Glad to see the show back.  The COVID thing was weird for me. I don't care if the show wants to pretend COVID doesn't exist, but it can't do it halfway. There were scenes with no masks, some masks, and a lot of masks and overall zero mention of the virus. It made me wonder if some of this ep was leftover scenes from last year before the plug got pulled. As for the police reform angle, I can't help but think about the black guy they got killed last season.

The ep was worth it just for the Kev-Voight argument.  I too was surprised that Ruzek went after Kev.  Adam earned some points with me for that. I also wish Antonio was back because the show/unit could use his integrity. I'm not sure what Voight wants Kev to do as it pertains to Doyle.  He can't go back and change his statement (not that he's willing to) because he'd then have zero credibility. So what exactly does he want Kev to do?  Besides, I thought Voight could've stood up for Kev to the other cop stronger than he did.  He just seemed resigned to whatever was going to happen.

The case was odd because none of the suspects were talking despite a significant amount of evidence implicating them.  For a second, I actually thought they were covering for the younger boy in the house during the raid because they were over the top confident.   

On 11/12/2020 at 9:54 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

Sorry, but IMO, the less Kim the better.  I know that she and Kevin were partners and friends, but Kim is my least favorite of the core main characters.  Nothing at all against the actress, she seems lovely and does the best she can with the material she's given, but they don't write the character as a convincing cop to me.  

I love that Atwater finally got a big story and is a main focus.  He's needed that for years.  That said though, I'm also going to need more Halstead and less Ruzek. 😉  

Are we going to see the end of Voight and Voight's ways?  I doubt it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a temporary shift in control of the unit.  I think they hinted to that last year.  Too bad Antonio (sober, good, early seasons Antonio) is gone because he would have been the perfect replacement.  The hint seemed to be towards Halstead, but isn't he a bit young still?  

I'd much rather have more of Kim than Hailey AKA Character that showrunner is obsessed with and must be Jay's next partner he has to fuck as well as get higher billing in the credits than Kim whos been there from the beginning cause Eid is so obsessed with Lindsay 2.0 only less attractive and likeable

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

An ADA, or in Illinois ASA, has to make decisions based on inadmissible evidence. If they don’t they are wasting everyone’s time and won’t last long as a prosecutor. If they did bring this case, hoping a judge would include the church money bag, or the other fruit of the poisonous tree, and a judge said the evidence would be allowed, the defense attorney would file an immediate appeal and the decision would be reversed so fast that it would make the judge’s head spin.

That the murderer wore similar clothes? Good enough for a search warrant, not at all good enough to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he is the murderer. There could very well be other evidence, and if they build a strong enough case, they would be able to argue “inevitable discovery” and the original, conclusive evidence could be allowed back in (basically they remove the taint and it’s no longer poisonous). I have a JD but I never practiced criminal law and haven’t practiced any kind of law in nearly two decades.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Laroyce  Hawkins owned this episode, he was amazing from beginning to end. My favorite scene was when he was stopped by the police while driving and the main antagonist was the Black officer, it was a great touch to show that some Black cops will at times harass Black people as well, all skin folk is not kinfolk. I wish that Kevin had Black people around him to give him moral support because Upton showed with her ignorance, no matter how much she may sympathize with Kevin she will never understand what it is like to be Black in America.

Kevin is alone and he needs some good loving. I still lament the show not making that Black woman from the season 6 episode "Black and Blue" a main character on the show and his love interest. She had great chemistry with Kevin and the cast.  I always thought it was short-sighted of the show to give the ending that they gave her.  She had potential to be a good police officer, especially with her backstory.

I wish Kim would have given Kevin support in this episode, they were so close in season 1 and parts of season 2. I miss their friendship and their friendly rivalry to get into intelligence.. Kim was so comfortable around Kevin and his world..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

Laroyce  Hawkins owned this episode, he was amazing from beginning to end. My favorite scene was when he was stopped by the police while driving and the main antagonist was the Black officer, it was a great touch to show that some Black cops will at times harass Black people as well, all skin folk is not kinfolk. I wish that Kevin had Black people around him to give him moral support because Upton showed with her ignorance, no matter how much she may sympathize with Kevin she will never understand what it is like to be Black in America.

One of the things that's bugged me for a long time about this show is how the Intel unit only has one African-American undercover investigator in a city with so much crime from within the various minority communities, and I'm speaking both of the fictional world of "Chicago PD" and the real city itself. You'd think that having a squad of deep U/Cs that blend in with the groups they're trying to infiltrate and investigate would be a logical first step.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Kim was so comfortable around Kevin and his world..

I always assumed that TPTB/ Writers( barring the actors not getting along... And I have no reason to think that)  because Kevin and Kim flowed so effectively and effortlessly,  and they so wanted the never ending angst that is Burzek kept them apart... Cuz not much else makes sense.. Well one thing does.. ( ever notice how little time hes spent with Erin and Upton)...  

• Love 1

I guess I’m in the minority but I was so relieved to see at least ONE show not focus on COVID. Sure some characters wore masks, but it wasn’t mentioned and it wasn’t the focal point. I was so looking forward to the start of the fall season so I could escape the daily reminders of what’s happening in the world. But so far PD and to a lesser extent Fire, are the only shows that have basically ignored it.  Of course PD touched upon the current anti-police sentiments etc. but that makes sense when the main story is of a young black cop who is bucking the system. 

I didn’t love the episode but i thought it was a decent season opener. Poor Kevin though. I’m not sure how much more abuse his (admittedly awesome) body can take! First he gets shot, now he gets beaten up by bad cops. 😫

• Love 1
6 hours ago, UnoAgain said:

I always assumed that TPTB/ Writers( barring the actors not getting along... And I have no reason to think that)  because Kevin and Kim flowed so effectively and effortlessly,  and they so wanted the never ending angst that is Burzek kept them apart... Cuz not much else makes sense.. Well one thing does.. ( ever notice how little time hes spent with Erin and Upton)...  

I think we are on the same page about Erin and Upton, they trying to keep Kev out the mix lol. They reserved for the white dudes. 

• LOL 3
5 hours ago, mommalib said:

I think we are on the same page about Erin and Upton, they trying to keep Kev out the mix lol. They reserved for the white dudes. 

It's actually getting embarrassing for the show that they are content to let the pretty white ones bed hop while Kev is sitting out there like a shag on a rock. People are noticing and commenting. But hey, they are ticking their Annual Atwater gets a storyline box with yet another black v blue story (And yes these stories need to be told) but Atwater needs to be more than just that.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, Guildford said:

It's actually getting embarrassing for the show that they are content to let the pretty white ones bed hop while Kev is sitting out there like a shag on a rock. People are noticing and commenting. But hey, they are ticking their Annual Atwater gets a storyline box with yet another black v blue story (And yes these stories need to be told) but Atwater needs to be more than just that.

I agree they got Atwater in a box that they refuse to let him out of. Thank god Laroyce Hawkins is as charismatic as he is to go along with some acting chops. Atwater not having a love interest is ridiculous, females can see that's a good looking brotha so him not having a lady is very noticeable especially when his white counterparts never seem to have that problem. On a lot of these shows they like to desexualize black men, they are scared to death of black male sexuality. The insecurity is real.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, mommalib said:

I agree they got Atwater in a box that they refuse to let him out of. Thank god Laroyce Hawkins is as charismatic as he is to go along with some acting chops. Atwater not having a love interest is ridiculous, females can see that's a good looking brotha so him not having a lady is very noticeable especially when his white counterparts never seem to have that problem. On a lot of these shows they like to desexualize black men, they are scared to death of black male sexuality. The insecurity is real.

A year or so back I was talking to a friend in the production side of the TV industry, and best he could figure is that network TV shows like this skew older--much older--and the suits are deathly afraid that older audiences would react poorly and ultimately tune out, and that's why established canon is almost never changed significantly. Fewer eyeballs = no more advertisers = no more show. That's very definitely the circumstance on the show he worked on a few years back (Blue Bloods). You can get a lot more done on cable or streamers, but scripted network dramas are rigidly controlled by audience reactions and focus testing.

6 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

A year or so back I was talking to a friend in the production side of the TV industry, and best he could figure is that network TV shows like this skew older--much older--and the suits are deathly afraid that older audiences would react poorly and ultimately tune out, and that's why established canon is almost never changed significantly. Fewer eyeballs = no more advertisers = no more show. That's very definitely the circumstance on the show he worked on a few years back (Blue Bloods). You can get a lot more done on cable or streamers, but scripted network dramas are rigidly controlled by audience reactions and focus testing.

Yeah but it's shame because ignorant people should never have that much power.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mommalib said:

Yeah but it's shame because ignorant people should never have that much power.

The answer to every question will always be money. How do they make enough to pay for production of an extremely expensive scripted drama with name-brand stars, location shooting, etc? Broadcast ratings are still in free-fall, and a 1.1 share in 18-49 is now a good night for One Chicago.

So how can content producers convince sponsors to fork over obscene amounts of cash for a show that's getting more expensive to produce every season while the number of eyeballs watching the ads (the only thing ratings measure, period) is falling? Simple--don't piss off your audience and cut back the episode count. And be prepared to part with long-time favourite actors when they become too expensive.

They've got a very fine line to tread here. This isn't to defend what they're doing (far from it), but reality is a harsh mistress and when you lose the eyeballs that are actually watching advertisements (Live+Same Day, and C3 ratings) the show's finished and the ad buys go to a show people like better. Police procedurals also tend to skew outside of the coveted 18-49 demo so the risk of losing even a handful of Neilsen viewers is extreme.

On 11/16/2020 at 11:07 AM, NJRadioGuy said:

One of the things that's bugged me for a long time about this show is how the Intel unit only has one African-American undercover investigator in a city with so much crime from within the various minority communities, and I'm speaking both of the fictional world of "Chicago PD" and the real city itself. You'd think that having a squad of deep U/Cs that blend in with the groups they're trying to infiltrate and investigate would be a logical first step.

I agree, although there name is "Intelligence" unit I never saw much undercover action as a casual viewer, it seems as just a plain cloths tactical unit who also did detective work on different kinds of cases when not breaking out the assault rifles.

On 11/13/2020 at 5:39 PM, SadieT said:

Coming back to this, it reminds me of seeing the cops in countries where the identity of police are hidden so that the gangs don't go after them off duty or their families more so than government masking requirements. Given the squad's actions though they are the last police we need to hide the identity of.

• Love 1
On 11/15/2020 at 7:59 PM, AnnA said:

The fact that Rojas is gone was the best part of this episode for me.   I really disliked her and hoped she wouldn't be back.   

Is it terrible that I didn't even notice, until like three days later when the episode randomly popped into my brain, and I was like, hey, that Hispanic female officer wasn't there! (The character was so low in my recollections that I couldn't even recall her name, just that it was something with a V...)

I hope the actress' new show works out better for her. I wouldn't think anyone wants to play a character that simply doesn't make any ripples in the show at all.

• Love 3
On 11/27/2020 at 7:32 PM, SnarkySheep said:

Is it terrible that I didn't even notice, until like three days later when the episode randomly popped into my brain, and I was like, hey, that Hispanic female officer wasn't there!

It took me a few days to realize she wasn't there, too. Did anyone on the show mention where she went or are they just pretending she was never there in the first place? I missed it if they had a throwaway line about her absence.

• Love 3
On 11/27/2020 at 8:32 PM, SnarkySheep said:

Is it terrible that I didn't even notice, until like three days later when the episode randomly popped into my brain, and I was like, hey, that Hispanic female officer wasn't there! (The character was so low in my recollections that I couldn't even recall her name, just that it was something with a V...)

I hope the actress' new show works out better for her. I wouldn't think anyone wants to play a character that simply doesn't make any ripples in the show at all.

On 12/2/2020 at 10:46 AM, JenLily said:

It took me a few days to realize she wasn't there, too. Did anyone on the show mention where she went or are they just pretending she was never there in the first place? I missed it if they had a throwaway line about her absence.

I literally laughed out loud when I read both of these posts.  I didn't realize she was gone while watching the episode but when it was over, it struck me and I tried to remember if I saw her or not.  It's a good thing I recorded it because it wasn't until I rewatched and fast forwarded through most of it that I realized she was gone.

• Love 3