Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E01: All Tomorrow's Parties / S17.E02: The Center Won't Hold

• Start Topic

The doctors of Grey Sloan Memorial must contend with the COVID-19 pandemic; an unintentionally started fire has first responders from Station 19 bringing patients into the hospital for treatment.

and

Bailey finds herself in the middle of an argument with patients' families as they await news about their children who were injured in a fire; Winston surprises Maggie; Amelia and Link try to have some fun as new parents.

Airing Thursday, November 12, 2020.

Try as you might, show, you're still not going to make me watch Station 19.

Please tell me future episodes won't be totally covid-centered. I don't think I can take it. This episode was not good for my mental health. Katherine and Maggie yelling especially made me want to crawl under my couch with my hands over my ears.

I was totally confused on the timeline going on here. Which I guess is fitting these days.

Okay, "Gabe Lincoln" made me laugh.

2 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I watched the credits. That was an honest-to-God guest spot, not just splicing in old footage

I was wondering the same thing and then I saw "guest starring"!

• Love 6

I really really really hope we aren’t heading into another brain tumor story.  Of course they could  be starting Meredith’s descent into Alzheimer’s.  It was good to see Derrick

• Love 5

WOW. I was really expecting that to be a lookalike. I was NOT expecting him to actually be Patrick Dempsey! Holy shit. I am thoroughly surprised. It's been awhile. It was the best part of the episode. It reminds me of when this show used to be good. Now, onto the rest...

I LOATHE Teddy. There aren't adequate words in the dictionary to explain my loathing of her. She's a cheater (which, hey, most people are on this show), a pathological liar, and a RAGING hypocrite. I was THRILLED when Jo called her on her shit. I couldn't believe she had the nerve to be upset that no one was taking her side! You were fucking your ex-boyfriend on the day you're supposed to get married to another man, and the encounter was broadcast in the OR! What sane person would actually take her side? I am glad Owen sped away. I did hate Owen, though, when he said that he cheated on Cristina because he hated her. Fuck you, Owen. Still, you deserve better than Teddy.

Maggie's ending...my mom and I started cackling in confusion because WHAT. THE. FUCK? She needs space to be by herself and not bothered, so he buys her a tent to use in the backyard?!?!?! This is fucking ridiculous. I'm merely an administrator, but I feel wealthier than some of these doctors. Get your own apartment, Maggie! I haven't started at the screen in such disbelief in a long time.  Then, she closes the tent, so no one sees her taking off her clothes, and the closure IS SEE THROUGH. THEY CAN STILL SEE YOU, MAGGIE!

Koracick beating those boxes of booties and kicking them into the water is one of the most unintentionally hilarious things I've ever seen in my life. My mom and I were roaring with laughter. I was in tears. Was that actually supposed to be dramatic? Koracick deserved to be fired from the Chief of Chiefs position, and I was happy that Richard was appointed in that position. Catherine was right; Koracick should be thankful he still has a job.

Also, no way that the "Chief of Chiefs" would be ordering supplies. NO.

The dialogue...oh, the dialogue. There have been other shows that have incorporated COVID-19 into the storylines, but this is the worst one so far. It was a bunch of exposition! Exposition everywhere! Then this gem happened:

DeLuca: Who died?

Meredith: EVERYONE! 

Who talks like that? A world renowned surgeon doesn't talk like that. Truly award-winning dialogue.

Amelia and Linc save the episode. I adore them.

I know we should be used to it by now, but the Asian Ortho ex -- who still cannot act, btw -- walking in to give Contacts a blow job and Jo asking Jackson to please fuck her while they're AT WORK is just too much.

Edited by PepSinger
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11

The medical shows are doing a good job with the Covid stories, but it’s still depressing as hell and makes me depressed. On top of that we were just told here in Chicago we need to stay at home again for 30 days.

Still like Owen and hate Teddy but I was really surprised by the end which reminded me of the George Clooney surprise on ER, although a different storyline of course.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Yep. They think they are clever. They are not.

Katherine and Maggie yelling especially made me want to crawl under my couch with my hands over my ears.

I was cringing with embarrassment. 

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, sweeks said:

It has been a long, long time since Grey's surprised me. That ending was a surprise. 

Can you explain what happened? I turned away for a minute after Owen angrily drove off. Did Owen run over Meredith?

• LOL 11
4 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Can you explain what happened? I turned away for a minute after Owen angrily drove off. Did Owen run over Meredith?

I came here to basically ask the same thing, but I think she may have just collapsed, given the previews of next week.  In the previews (this isn't a spoiler because it's what the show is "spoiling"), she's getting an MRI and then in a hospital bed, and she says something like, "I'm afraid to go to sleep because I may not wake up."  And Bailey is saying something like, "if this happens again..."  So my impression was that it was a medical health issue, and not an accident.  But I could be wrong.

• Useful 2
22 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I was totally confused on the timeline going on here. Which I guess is fitting these days.

Okay, "Gabe Lincoln" made me laugh.

Station 19 is actually pretty good.  I was skeptical too at first, but I like it.  Maybe I just like Hercules Mulligan from the original cast of Hamilton, but it's a decent enough show.  I hate all reality TV, and it's difficult to find a weekly scripted show anymore.  It's not great, but it'll do.

I was also confused on the timeline.  The jumps back and forth.  Were the fire victims present day?  The only one I really followed was Richard, because either he was still recovering in the hospital in pajamas, or he was working.

"Gabe Lincoln" made me laugh too!  Lincoln and Amelia were the bright spot of this episode.  I also liked seeing Deluca get better.  (I know a lot of people don't like him, but he's hot, so what can I say... that's good enough for me.)  

• Love 10
32 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I came here to basically ask the same thing, but I think she may have just collapsed, given the previews of next week.  In the previews (this isn't a spoiler because it's what the show is "spoiling"), she's getting an MRI and then in a hospital bed, and she says something like, "I'm afraid to go to sleep because I may not wake up."  And Bailey is saying something like, "if this happens again..."  So my impression was that it was a medical health issue, and not an accident.  But I could be wrong.

That was my impression too. At first I thought maybe it was exhaustion from working too much, but that is probably to simple for Grey's. I am amazed they got Patrick Dempsey to appear.

I couldn't believe Jo asking Jackson to sleep with her. Who does that with someone they work with? Seriously, WTF? And I usually like Jo.

I didn't get the thing with Koracick and all the supplies. Did he accidentally order wrong, or did they just send crappy supplies because of all the PPE shortages? A mistake like that seems pretty terrible, but don't they have admins for that?

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 5
19 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Now that would have been even more unexpected than what we got tonight!

12 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

In the final moments, we see McWidow in the parking lot, and he sees that Meredith has collapsed. As he's calling for help and yelling for her, we fade to Meredith looking relaxed on a beach (her unconscious fantasy). She looks up when she hears someone call her name. From across the beach, she seems someone waving to her, and the camera pans to see it is

Spoiler

Derek Shepherd. And it's really Patrick Dempsey guest-starring (as opposed to repurposed and poorly CGI-ed footage). 

Edited to block out spoilers.

Edited by sweeks
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I didn't get the thing with Koracick and all the supplies. Did he accidentally order wrong, or did they just send crappy supplies because of all the PPE shortages? A mistake like that seems pretty terrible, but don't they have admins for that?

I got the impression that they sent the wrong stuff.  Or the suppliers (maybe the government?) just sent whatever they had, and booties is all that's left.  Koracick is awful, but he's not that inept, I don't think.

(Also, Jo asked Jackson, not Teddy. 😉 )

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

The medical shows are doing a good job with the Covid stories, but it’s still depressing as hell and makes me depressed. On top of that we were just told here in Chicago we need to stay at home again for 30 days.

Still like Owen and hate Teddy but I was really surprised by the end which reminded me of the George Clooney surprise on ER, although a different storyline of course.

I also was reminded of Doug and Carol’s reunion on ER. Still One of my favorite moments of TV because it was a surprise to see Clooney. 

I was totally shocked it was actually Patrick Dempsey. I thought he would never appear on this show again. For a few seconds, all seemed right with the world. 

I hope they let Amelia and Link just be happy.  

• Love 14
1 minute ago, ECM1231 said:

Thanks , sweeks.   I did see the rest.  I was just confused as to why Meredith was on the ground. I thought I missed so, but I guess not.

You're welcome! I guess we will find out next week. My first thought, based on the previews, was that Meredith gets covid (because of course she would). However, the points others have made about it being a mental issue or early symptoms of Alzheimer's makes a lot more sense.

• Love 3

I just had a thought on the timeline...  It makes no sense, if you watched Station 19.  The fire and the burn victims could not be the present day because in the "present day" on there, Andy was giving the eulogy for her father, who apparently only just died 2 weeks ago, if I'm remembering right.  But clearly a lot of time passed on Grey's.  So the two shows, as a crossover, are not on the same time line. 

Did anyone else watch both and pick up something I missed to make it make sense??

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I got the impression that they sent the wrong stuff.  Or the suppliers (maybe the government?) just sent whatever they had, and booties is all that's left.  Koracick is awful, but he's not that inept, I don't think.

(Also, Jo asked Jackson, not Teddy. 😉 )

Oops, that would have been a different storyline altogether. I fixed that in my post.

• LOL 5

I called Jo and Jackson since last season.. Was surprised how they did it.. And not sure if it'll go anywhere.. But he can't seem to be alone and she was baby crazy a bit ago... Hot rich single dad who loves to love isn't a bad rebound... But I'd be cool if they went best friends as well.. Link is stuck in the Amelia/baby daddy nebula... So she'll need a pal... 

• Love 3

Grey's could use the "Meredith collapses" opportunity to pull a Dallas. Derek's death and everything that followed was a hallucination Meredith had in the parking lot.

I know, I know, but a girl can dream.

Edited by Norma Desmond
  • LOL 6
  • Love 15

Okay. that ending was wowzers. brava show. 

However.

"Chief of Chiefs?" Honestly? It's Chief of Staff. That's the word you are looking for.  And even then the Chief of staff doesn't do all the day to day mundane ordering things. good gravy. 

I do applaud Owen for saying he cheated on Cristina (I wish he had said in that moment) because he hated her or hated how she was making him feel or something. but whatever. i'll take it even though it was scuzzy. I have zero sympathy for Teddy. like none. No you don't get to feel bad because people are judging you. No you don't get to feel bad because Owen won't talk to you. What you did was horrendously horrid, so go find a rock and kick it. 

Just move the doctor from Tufts to Seattle already. 

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, Daisy said:

"Chief of Chiefs?" Honestly? It's Chief of Staff. That's the word you are looking for.  And even then the Chief of staff doesn't do all the day to day mundane ordering things. good gravy. 

At least they've stopped acting as if the Chief of Surgery is the Chief of Staff. Baby steps!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I just had a thought on the timeline...  It makes no sense, if you watched Station 19.  The fire and the burn victims could not be the present day because in the "present day" on there, Andy was giving the eulogy for her father, who apparently only just died 2 weeks ago, if I'm remembering right.  But clearly a lot of time passed on Grey's.  So the two shows, as a crossover, are not on the same time line. 

Did anyone else watch both and pick up something I missed to make it make sense??

The last season of Station 19 carried on for a few episodes after Grey’s season ended, which put it ahead of Grey’s timeline by the end of the season.

Andy’s dad dying was one of the things that happened on Station 19 after the end of Grey’s season - so this episode with all the jumping around probably puts them back on the same timeline going forwards.

• Useful 2

I had called Jo/Jackson as a potential couple last season also as I thought they had more chemistry in any of the scenes they shared then he did in a season and a half with Maggie. Jackson treats all his love interests great at the start when he’s infatuated and awful by the end when it starts to fizzle so as much as I like the idea of them I think she could probably do better.

Are they still trying to make him and Maggie work or is that finally done now?

Edited by Avabelle
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, PrincessTT said:

The last season of Station 19 carried on for a few episodes after Grey’s season ended, which put it ahead of Grey’s timeline by the end of the season.

Andy’s dad dying was one of the things that happened on Station 19 after the end of Grey’s season - so this episode with all the jumping around probably puts them back on the same timeline going forwards.

Thanks!  That helps a little bit, but I'm still not sure it puts it the same, or at least "present day."  The day of the wildfire had to have been at some point over the summer, I think.

I thought this episode was good

I hate everyone they pair with Avery.  He's my favorite.  Now he's being saddled with Jo who I hate.

Linc and Amelia are great together! I love the baby's name.

Geez on Teddy, if you want people to mind their own business don't bang the chief at the hospital while engaged to someone who works there.  

I hope Owen doesn't soften on this, he deserves WAY better.  

Is Dereck a dream or the beginning of some crazy plot like a twin?

• Love 7

Did Teddy develop amnesia? On separate occasion Jo and Owen kind of asked why she did it, she had the nerve she said she didn't know or that she's allergic to happy ending. Huh? Didn't she immediately go to Koracik and have sex with him as soon as she heard that Amelia might MIGHT be carrying Owen's baby even before the test results. She made it sound like that phone sex message was a one time thing. She should have at least been honest and said that she was kind of mad at Owen over that information and went to someone she knew was 100% devoted to her (which is a shitty thing that she used him knowing how much he would be with her in a heartbeat). At least Owen had the affair because of petty reasons why won't she admit that too? Making her reason sound vague makes it worse.

Also Schmidt? Seriously don't beg. Losing your self-respect is not worth it and also kind of dangerous for a casual quickie in COVID

As fun as it was to see Derek even in flashback. The show is hammering that Derek is her OTP, well I guess the new doctor doesn't have a chance. Terrific

Wow, Linc is an uncle now too. Also so that was why he was assembling that tent structure for. Show don't you dare break them up. I need a functional couple during this pandemic and in this show because dysfunctional couples for drama gets really tired quick.

• Love 10

I was honestly a little bored but then that ending. Good job Grey's--although it made me wish they'd never killed him off. He could have gone overseas for some charity work and got kidnapped, presumed dead--and show up later like Owen's sister. 🙂

Linc and Amelia were fun--though it's like the end of 90210 days when Steve and his wife were given a joke storyline separate from the rest of the cast each week.

The timeline got confusing to me--could not remember whether Deluca is supposed to be gone/sick or whatever.

I hope they redeem Koracik's (sp) character. It's like ER where they took Romano too far and wrote him into a corner where a helicopter could fall on him. The character is so well acted. I like his snark--so please make him a somewhat person with some quirks and snark--but not randomly immoral and jerkish for no reason.

On the negative side:

* I thought Asian hot doctor who can't act was leaving. Disappointed to see him again.

* Glasses is still on this show. Can we give him COVID and have him die or at least quit because he is a long hauler and is not able to keep up as a resident?

* I felt badly for the Jo actress--what a silly storyline to have to act out: so you are a professional doctor but you decide to just ask a colleague at work to have sex with you. Not as a natural progression of a night out at a bar where you get really friendly and start to flirt but just out of the blue at work. No, not after a stressful shared experience. Just out of the blue in the room where he's looking at scans. --How to sell that?

* I also feel badly for the Teddy actress--because they wrote Teddy's character into a ridiculous place. Teddy's behavior was over the top and not rational. It is not realistic to dive off a cliff like that and then have any hope Owen takes you back. It's just over the top. 

Edited by RedbirdNelly
typo--I really do know how to spell "bored" I swear
  • Love 13
10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Please tell me future episodes won't be totally covid-centered. I don't think I can take it. This episode was not good for my mental health. Katherine and Maggie yelling especially made me want to crawl under my couch with my hands over my ears.

Yep - not gonna watch it either, wish they'd stop trying to make us.  At least Jackson and the gal from Station 19 broke up.  Tho, I'm not digging him and Jo...yet anyway. 

I had to mute the Kat/Maggie scene; and the later one with Maggie yelled to her about Richard.  Stop.yelling.  I get that your overworked, exhausted, mad, sad, etc., but that is just annoying to watch.  Please convey your emotions in another way.  Also, I'm sorry, but Kat bugs me.  Jackson made that speech about how the bigness of her love makes her for all of her faults... and I was like, ummm, no.  It's almost like an abusive relationship where the abuser tries to rationalize his/her excessive control and manipulation, lack of trust, respect, & consideration with the excuse of "it's just because I love you so much." No thanks. 

10 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I think this was a riff on some real life events from earlier in the pandemic - states/hospitals were ordering PPE from companies outside of their normal supply chain and a lot of them turned out to be fraudulent or not the right quality product.  Early on in the episode [or maybe on S19 b/c I did have it on even tho I wasn't really watching], someone said something about being careful who you order from, foreshadowing Koracik's screwup. 

I love Amelia and Link and "Gabe Lincoln" was hilarious... but someone else pointed out that Linc's real name is Atticus and now he's named his kid "Scout." WTF???  Why didn't they just go with the obvious "Derek."  Speaking of which, WHOOO, glad to see him. The problem is though, it just reinforces to me how that Irish doc just doesn't work as Mer's love interest.  The only post Derek one I liked [and I think I'm in the minority] was the one that was friends with Owen and dating his sister. 

Edited by AzraeltheCat
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I'm pretty sure Meredith has COVID because in part of the preview I think you can hear one of the doctors mention her lungs. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, nolieblue said:

I'm pretty sure Meredith has COVID because in part of the preview I think you can hear one of the doctors mention her lungs. 

But were the others in the preview wearing full PPE around her?  I didn't think they were.  That would be the real giveaway...

• Love 2

Oh, and Teddy was annoying.  When she confronted Owen in the parking lot, all she did was tell him she loved him and made a mistake. She didn't tell him any of the stuff she told Jo ... that she got scared and sabotaged herself or whatever.  Not that he would or should have accepted that, but she didn't really explain.  Also, people are bagging on him for saying he hated Cristina... I don't think he meant in the general sense, but just in the moment that he cheated, he was so mad he hated her and wanted to hurt her.  I mean, it's not a good look, but I think some folks took it to mean he never loved C which don't think is accurate. 

• Love 12
44 minutes ago, AzraeltheCat said:

I love Amelia and Link and "Gabe Lincoln" was hilarious... but someone else pointed out that Linc's real name is Atticus and now he's named his kid "Scout." WTF???  Why didn't they just go with the obvious "Derek."  

Especially since in the book, Scout is the girl (though Amelia did consider traditionally-girl names so...). Maybe he'll go by his middle name (I would, if my parents named me Scout.)

"Scout Derek" doesn't really go together, just...acoustically... (That might not really be the word I want, but...I'm tired. My name is essentially the reverse of my mother's name, except she altered my middle name (her first name is Mary, my middle name is Marie) just because it sounded better that way.)

• Love 3

Well, that was a surprise ending. I wasn't expecting that they would actually get Patrick Dempsey back but they did it! I'm sure it was only for that beach dream sequence but I'll take it! This gives hope for him returning for the series finale as well!

Teddy is the actual worst. Owen may have made a lot of shitty choices and can be awful too but I liked how he handled this situation and he doesn't deserve this. Admitting why he cheated on Cristina was a real step forward for him. And he's not the wrong one here. Teddy didn't even have the courage to tell him the truth until she was forced to when he played the voicemail. That's only when she gets super apologetic and plays victim. I worry that Owen will take her back when he absolutely shouldn't. She had no respect for him so why should he go back with a woman who will likely cheat on him again? Owen has had to do a lot of growth and I applaud him for speeding away and not entertaining Teddy's victim mentality.

The Jo/Jackson stuff was weird. I get them trying to set up a probable romantic arc for the two this season but it was weird. I hope it's a friends with benefits situation rather than a long-term thing. 

Amelia and Link's scenes were great. I do like Scout as a name. It's cute and not totally bizarre. 

Deluca is FINALLY an attending after five years! But what specialty did he choose? I'm guessing general. But I'm just glad he gets an upgrade. And the actor did fairly well with the material this episode. He IS much better without a romantic partner. It does feel like the show might be keeping him and Meredith as friends which is good. 

Maggie's irritating screeching with Catherine aside, her scenes were quite good this episode. I like her boyfriend and think that they're cute together. 

Of course Richard will be stubborn and not protect himself by going to work because he has some sort of ego about his worth at the hospital but not about his own life. I hope being Chief of Chiefs means that he will work from home more often than not, because Bailey was right and I'm guessing I was supposed to be on Richard's side of that argument and I wasn't. I've never been a huge fan of Richard but I was ok with him. But he's too damn stubborn sometimes.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, RedbirdNelly said:

so you are a professional doctor but you decide to just ask a colleague at work to have sex with you.

they all do that. It’s practically the premise of the show.

I think it’s clear she wasn’t going to him because anything had happened that made her connect with him romantically. She wanted to forget about Alex and move on. She still isn’t in a place where she has feelings for anyone so just picked Jackson because he’s unattached and attractive and they’re semi friendly.

I liked it. Jackson is at his best in funny situations and the sheer awkwardness of this made me laugh. Especially her mocking His date set up.

Edited by Avabelle
  • Love 10

Did anyone else think that Owen talking about wills and directives and whether Teddy would keep Leo if something happened to him was leading to him telling her he was sick? Maybe he was just thinking of "in case I get covid or something" but he looked sad and I was afraid he was about to reveal that he has a terminal illness or something.

8 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Maggie's irritating screeching with Catherine aside, her scenes were quite good this episode. I like her boyfriend and think that they're cute together. 

Agreed. Outside of the yelling, she didn't bug me at all. 

• Love 4

This is only interesting from a BTS perspective because Grey's does this a lot...characters routinely see dead people when they're on the brink of death.

It sounds like they (Ellen, Patrick, the show) put a lot of shit in the past in order to make this work, not only to give fans something fun to watch (and scream at their television about) but also to promote Patrick's cancer foundation. It's a win/win for everyone.

• Love 9

Did anyone else think that Owen talking about wills and directives and whether Teddy would keep Leo if something happened to him was leading to him telling her he was sick? Maybe he was just thinking of "in case I get covid or something" but he looked sad and I was afraid he was about to reveal that he has a terminal illness or something.

Agreed. Outside of the yelling, she didn't bug me at all. 

I wondered the same thing about Owen. But then I’m kinda messed up on the timeline and thought maybe if It was April-ish, remembering that early on healthcare staff were encouraged to prepare wills and advance directives due to Covid. 

Not a fan of Owen, or Teddy, but don’t want him to have some terminal illness. I always hoped he and Teddy would just run off to another continent and leave GS. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, CMSupergirl said:

I wondered the same thing about Owen. But then I’m kinda messed up on the timeline and thought maybe if It was April-ish, remembering that early on healthcare staff were encouraged to prepare wills and advance directives due to Covid. 

Not a fan of Owen, or Teddy, but don’t want him to have some terminal illness. I always hoped he and Teddy would just run off to another continent and leave GS. 

no he's trying to guilt her into confessing. It didn't work.  He expected her to be like don't leave you kid with me I am in love with Tom 

Edited by dmc
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, dmc said:

no he's trying to guilt her into confessing. It didn't work.  He expected her to be like don't leave you kid with me I am in love with Tom 

Those are two diff timelines... Him finding out about the affair and the convo about wills and stuff that is... So when he asked her to talk.. Ahead thought it meant he was finally ready to forgive her ( or at least start to)  but he at least at the moment was just thinking about Leo( and maybe being kinda passive aggressive... As its obvious what she wants to talk about) 

4 minutes ago, UnoAgain said:

Those are two diff timelines... Him finding out about the affair and the convo about wills and stuff that is... So when he asked her to talk.. Ahead thought it meant he was finally ready to forgive her ( or at least start to)  but he at least at the moment was just thinking about Leo( and maybe being kinda passive aggressive... As its obvious what she wants to talk about) 

Ok I thought it was a different timeline but not ahead I thought it was BEFORE but after he knew.  And I took it as he was hoping she would confess.  There has been a time break between him knowing and covid I thought

2 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

But i thought Teddy was in love with Tom? God she’s the worst... I can’t belief after last season were supposed to actually be rooting for and Owen like Koracick is the actual bad guy and not Teddy..

I still think she is.  I think her sights have been set on Owen for so long she's confused.  

Edited by dmc
  • Love 1