Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Hit & Run

• Start Topic

In the aftermath of Eddie’s car accident, Katherine leans on their beloved group of friends for support. Meanwhile, Rome and Regina face a tough decision about the future of their family, and Delilah sees how her kids are thriving and wants the same for herself. Maggie jump starts her new life in Oxford, while Gary continues to navigate his new relationship with Darcy.

Airing Thursday, November 19, 2020.

• Useful 1

Ugh.  I knew Eddie wouldn't die but I really hoped he would.  Then I hoped his would-be killer (I'm guessing the father of the girl who died) would take out the entire group of friends at the wedding.  And the show would be announced as cancelled.

All the scenes with Maggie in Oxford irritated me to no end.  What kind of idiot flies to a foreign country (for a year no less) without getting an international phone plan and $50 worth of local currency?  Even if she hadn't beforehand, she could have used her American debit card to get cash at whatever airport she landed at.

No way Eddie would be up to having a large crowd waiting for him, certainly not a wedding.  He would be emotionally and physically exhausted just from the trip home, and would immediately want to rest/sleep in peace.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Brookside said:

Ugh.  I knew Eddie wouldn't die but I really hoped he would.  Then I hoped his would-be killer (I'm guessing the father of the girl who died) would take out the entire group of friends at the wedding.  And the show would be announced as cancelled.

All the scenes with Maggie in Oxford irritated me to no end.  What kind of idiot flies to a foreign country (for a year no less) without getting an international phone plan and $50 worth of local currency?  Even if she hadn't beforehand, she could have used her American debit card to get cash at whatever airport she landed at.

No way Eddie would be up to having a large crowd waiting for him, certainly not a wedding.  He would be emotionally and physically exhausted just from the trip home, and would immediately want to rest/sleep in peace.

I haven't watched yet , don't like it enough to stay up, but that Oxford line prepared me. lol  My kids in high school knew you needed to do that, she's a psychologist and supposedly worldly?

I knew Eddie wouldn't die, so soapy but I'll see if this is it for me. I liked Jon, I liked the potential of the mystery but when other people got dragged into it, kids, past friends and everyone was so dense, it lost me. One google would have erased many episodes. I know it's a soap, not a drama like TIU, but they could have had  serious show and not General Hospital or Dallas at night. 

Thanks for the preview. 

• Love 3

Well, that was underwhelming. I don't know if it's because of the COVID filming precautions, but this had about as much oomph as I've had the last few months. Everyone was pretty wooden in their delivery, and the whole storyline was rushed.

And what happened to Charlie? Why is she an infant again? She's at least 6 months old if not older, isn't she? When Eddie came home though, Charlie was presented to him to kiss as an infant (very obviously fake). 

This might be the season this show does itself in. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Well, that was underwhelming. I don't know if it's because of the COVID filming precautions, but this had about as much oomph as I've had the last few months. Everyone was pretty wooden in their delivery, and the whole storyline was rushed.

And what happened to Charlie? Why is she an infant again? She's at least 6 months old if not older, isn't she? When Eddie came home though, Charlie was presented to him to kiss as an infant (very obviously fake). 

This might be the season this show does itself in. 

The whole thing was so badly written.  You'd think that with a couple of extra months to prepare, they could've done better.  I also noticed that 'Baby Charlie' was way too small.  I figure infants aren't being brought on set due to COVID, they should've just said she was napping or had a cold or something.  I was a bit surprised that the other child actors were featured so much.  If only precocious little Theo could be quarantined somewhere off set.

Maggie is a dolt!  She doesn't get any currency despite the fact that there are currency change stations as well as ATM's almost every 10 feet in every airport and train station in London?  Why would anyone think that US currency would work in the UK?  I presume she took the train to Oxford since the cab fare from London would've been outrageous.  For someone so sophisticated and intelligent as Maggie is supposed to be; you'd think she would've found a bus route as public transport in England is excellent and virtually the only people who take cabs are tourists.  For that matter, the train station in Oxford is an easy walk to the campus and, presuming the apartment was near there, she could've hoofed it.  Also, since she knew the name of her room mate and the location of the flat, why didn't she touch base with Jamie before she came?  Wouldn't she want to get a feel for the person she would be sharing the space with, maybe ask about the amenities, what sort of household stuff would she need?

I cannot even with the notion that Delilah and Katherine are now besties and that Katherine would ever want to spend hours sitting in a waiting room with her.  At best, frosty cordiality is all Delilah deserves.  Also, who gives a kid their Ipad to play with and leaves the messaging open when they don't want the kid to know their father is in surgery?  I know Katherine was stressed, but, c'mon.

I presume that was the father of the girl who died while out with Eddie back in the day who mowed him down in the crosswalk.  But, then, why did he call 911 if he wanted him to die?  Why is he stalking Eddie now?  Why didn't the cops pick the guy up since he was driving a beat up very old, very red pickup truck and there cannot be that many of them out there?  Someone came to Eddie's aid seconds after the crash, he had to have seen the truck speed away.

This show requires the audience to be completely lacking in common sense and life experience.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 16

Aside from the other points about the hit and run, the beat up old truck... would Eddie really leave the hospital (not a rehab center) after a month? Maybe even a montage of him working with a PT or OT would have helped. Also for being super annoying in every other scenario that he's ever encountered, Theo was uncharacteristically accepting and excited about Eddie being home, the ramp, etc. 

I liked that Gary stayed with Katherine.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, hoosiergirl said:

Aside from the other points about the hit and run, the beat up old truck... would Eddie really leave the hospital (not a rehab center) after a month? Maybe even a montage of him working with a PT or OT would have helped. Also for being super annoying in every other scenario that he's ever encountered, Theo was uncharacteristically accepting and excited about Eddie being home, the ramp, etc. 

I liked that Gary stayed with Katherine.

In real life, his doctors would've known about the paralysis long before his family entered the room.  He also would've been in the ICU based on the injuries they claimed he had and the fact that he'd needed CPR and, even pre-COVID, kids wouldn't have been allowed into the room, let alone been encouraged to climb on the bed.  And, yes, once his recovery had progressed beyond the acute stages, he would've been transferred to a rehab facility to learn how to safely transfer from the bed to the wheelchair, to strengthen the muscles he could use and to work on all of the routines of daily life that he would need to do differently.  I don't believe we've seen a first floor bathroom with a shower at Eddie and Katherine's home.  How is that going to work?  There's a lot more to it than just building a couple of ramps, especially since his prognosis is not great.  In real life, he'd have virtually no chance of walking unassisted again after a month with no apparent improvement.  On this show, he'll be guesting on 'Dancing with the Stars' next week.

Edited by doodlebug
  • LOL 2
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, cardigirl said:

THIS!  Exactly what I was thinking.   The curious case of Charlie Dixon. 

9 hours ago, Brookside said:

All the scenes with Maggie in Oxford irritated me to no end.  What kind of idiot flies to a foreign country (for a year no less) without getting an international phone plan and $50 worth of local currency?  

Stupid contrived story for Maggie.  Looks as though they put in five minutes of thought to come up with it.  Probably less.

Random other thoughts:

• Agree, I liked that Gary stayed with Katherine.
  • Theo is useless.  And annoying.  Needs to leave the show.
  • Maggie is useless.  And annoying.  Needs to leave the show.  No idea at all why she's featured.
  • Delilah's speech to Maggie after Maggie said perhaps she should come "home" -- what random cliche generator wrote that?  Who is Maggie to these people?  So bad it was laughable and Delilah doesn't do fake sincerity well.
  • I hated Gina's hair.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I presume that was the father of the girl who died while out with Eddie back in the day who mowed him down in the crosswalk.  But, then, why did he call 911 if he wanted him to die?  Why is he stalking Eddie now?  Why didn't the cops pick the guy up since he was driving a beat up very old, very red pickup truck and there cannot be that many of them out there?  Someone came to Eddie's aid seconds after the crash, he had to have seen the truck speed away.

I'm not sure why the guy (who I also presume was the girl's dad) called 911. But as for the pickup truck - I believe they were in a fairly rural area. In my neck of the woods (semi-rural with a nice town), old beaten up pickups of the same make and color are a dime a dozen. (I don't mean red - in our area it's a tan/brown combination that seems popular).

I had hoped that Gina would decide after their loss of the baby, that she really didn't want to have a kid anyway. But no.

The absence of a police investigation is pretty strange, perhaps it will come in future episodes. But it's hard to know with this show.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3

I'm easy to please, but I mostly liked it.

Though I did think Maggie was an idiot. Like usual. But this one really took the cake. And honestly I was happy to see. Of course she and her new roommate will hit it off in upcoming episodes. 

I did think that Eddie would not be up for a second wedding immediately after getting home. But I know that's the way this show rolls, so I rolled my eyes and went along with it.

I loved Gary staying with Katharine. I was pretty disgusting at everyone else. Because if you really cared about her and Eddie, you would stay! No matter if she says to go home, you'd stay! And whenever Gary is not with Maggie, I love him. What a great, supportive friend (when he's not with Maggie).

But I'm definitely interested in what will ultimately happen with Eddie. I knew he wouldn't die, but this will definitely be an adjustment. But Gary and Eddie are my two favorite characters,  so still on board!

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Brookside said:

What kind of idiot flies to a foreign country (for a year no less) without getting an international phone plan and $50 worth of local currency?

The same kind who would turn up at the door of her new accommodations without knowing the merest detail about her new living situation other than the new roommate's name, I'm guessing. Maggie, after all, is a newbie college freshman who's never been outside of her home town, let alone out of the country in her life, right? Oh, wait...

There's no way the time line of this episode makes sense, either: Gloria the social worker is in her office 24/7, and calls clients with potential matches after 11 p.m. (I'm guessing again)? "Hey, I know you just got screwed over by the birth mother I set you up with, but here's a do-over; let me know. You have a quarter of an hour to make a decision. 'Kay, byeee!"

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

n real life, his doctors would've known about the paralysis long before his family entered the room.  He also would've been in the ICU based on the injuries they claimed he had and the fact that he'd needed CPR and, even pre-COVID, kids wouldn't have been allowed into the room, let alone been encouraged to climb on the bed.  And, yes, once his recovery had progressed beyond the acute stages, he would've been transferred to a rehab facility to learn how to safely transfer from the bed to the wheelchair, to strengthen the muscles he could use and to work on all of the routines of daily life that he would need to do differently.

That's the thing TV dramas do - ignore anything medical and create a new set of procedures. The same for the lack of privacy where women are giving birth in the ER with their legs spread open toward the common area, no curtains or doors. Children running around hospital rooms. It happens in every medical show - patient arrives in the ER, has all the tests, and sometimes surgery, goes back to the ER. It makes no sense so I have either stopped watching medical dramas - because most are too bad anyway - or suspended disbelief. 

5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

This show requires the audience to be completely lacking in common sense and life experience.

Plus, Eddie doesn't even know what really happened, he just knows he remembers her drowning, but no idea what really happened. Plus, if the sister of the dead girl said the parents are just in horrible health. Then how did he get in a beat up truck and drive two hours and then be: "Oh crap, I don't want him to die." It's stupid! So there is the season mystery, what really happened to the girl that drowned. 

• Love 2

We return to this show, and its, remarkably, even more ridiculous than ever. I am glad that Eddie survived, even though I was never too worried that he wouldn't, because I do actually like Eddie and Katherine, even if he is now possibly paralyzed for life, because this show loves its melodrama and realized that this is one issue that they haven't done yet. Things seemed kind of weird between them at first, so I am happy that they are still moving forward, even if its going to be hard. They really need to start writing Theo like a kid who is actually his own age, not a two year old. It isn't cute, it just makes me worried about his developmental stages. It was nice that Gary stayed with Katherine at the hospital, and even though I knew Eddie would be fine, I thought the scenes with him and Katherine in the hospital were well acted. 

Katherine calling Delilah "family" when she insisted on coming to the hospital was so eye roll worthy though. I get that everyone is supposed to be over the affair (except for Eddie who keeps correctly apologizing for it) and Katherine needs to be totally besties with her husbands mistress, but come on. 

Maggie might be the dumbest dripiest person in the whole show, which is really saying something. How is someone who is supposedly so smart that they get this once in a lifetime job as a successful therapist abroad such a moron? She has no idea that you cant use American money in the UK, and didn't bother getting any Pounds before she went to England, or find a place to change her money? Of which there are TONS near the airport? She has no idea how to use an international plug in? I know that this was last minute, but come on, that just two seconds to look up online, especially for someone so "brilliant" and "sophisticated" as people say Maggie is. She is just embarrassing to witness ,she is so self centered and clueless. Who walks into a room, see's a person clearly sobbing, and just starts babbling about how they need to borrow money from them instead of asking "are you ok?" or in anyway acknowledging that this person is clearly and visibly upset. At least this plot now has Chris Geere in it, that should make it at least slightly more bearable. 

So hold on, this guy who I am assuming is the dead lake girls dad stalked Eddie, ran him over, and then called an ambulance? And is now stalking him? What the hell is this plot, its ridiculous even by this shows standards. No wonder Katherine tossed Eddies sister out of the house, none of this even would have happened if she hadn't shown up out of the blue to drag up a bunch of stuff that clearly should have stayed in the past. Yeah, she probably didn't expect her brother to be almost murdered and paralyzed by the girls unbalanced father, but what good could stirring these old wounds possibly do for Eddie? 

How in the world did Rome and Regina get a second random baby that quickly? This shows portrait of adoption has always been terrible, but how does that even work? Did some parents just decide to give up their adopted baby the same night Eve decided to keep hers? I do kind of want to see Eve again, just so that we can hear her try to explain how massively she screwed Rome and Regina over and they can tell her off. Petty? Possibly, but also I think deserved. I guess from Rome's side, Regina turned down a child for them, but from Regina's, Rome is treating their possible child like someone who can be as easily replaced as a vacuum cleaner, after she got very attached to this child that was just taken from her. Now things are awkward and I just don't care I don't like this plot and I don't understand it. I thought that they might decide that they just don't want a baby after all and Rome was just going through a mid life crisis, but I guess not. Like I said several times last season, I don't know why they are insisting on getting a baby and not an older kid, considering all of this started because Rome got such a kick out of helping PJ, a teenager, and adopting an older kid who is less likely to get adopted would both let them help a kid in need in an age group they have more experience in, and would probably avoid the Eve situation, but that would make sense, and sense has to place in this show. 

Darcy built Eddie a whole ramp? Yeah, Darcy is way to good to be inevitably dumped for dopey Maggie. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Sandman said:

The same kind who would turn up at the door of her new accommodations without knowing the merest detail about her new living situation other than the new roommate's name, I'm guessing. Maggie, after all, is a newbie college freshman who's never been outside of her home town, let alone out of the country in her life, right? Oh, wait...

Oh, and I hated that she, who is supposedly super independent, had to ask a man to fix her phone.

• Love 1

The only thing I'll say in defense of Maggie, is that she did try to use her credit card to pay for the taxi, and normally that would work, but his reader was not working. Usually you don't want to do that, because you don't always get the best rate of exchange, but had the cabbie had his card reader working, she would have been okay.  I still don't know why she didn't have any pound notes on her though.  

• Love 5

I hate the portrayal of "guy acquires spinal cord injury" on shows too. Aside from the issue I mentioned already with him leaving the hospital way, way too soon after a spinal cord injury, I'm sure they will cover the "guy with new disability is angry about his disability" storyline before he miraculously recovers. If he has no feeling in his legs - are they also going to cover sex issues, or bladder/bowel control? I would guess not, and while I don't watch this show for the reality element, I really think it does a disservice to actual disabled people to play up these fake storylines. I really like Katherine and she deserves better than trying to coparent with her husbands ex-mistress. 

Also, Rome and Regina should adopt an older kid. 

• Love 11
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Also, since she knew the name of her room mate and the location of the flat, why didn't she touch base with Jamie before she came?

That's the part that got me confused. Maggie should have reached out to Jamie through messages somehow and let him know that she was a replacement. She would have wanted to ask questions about what she might need to bring or anything to just say hello. Did she really not reach out to Jamie at all? It's ridiculous that she didn't try to. I know she didn't need to but Maggie's supposed to be smart. I'm glad Jamie hated her right off the bat but we know this show won't let that last.

8 hours ago, cardigirl said:

She should be but the show clearly didn't prepare for a reason why Charlie wouldn't be at the house for Eddie's return. They obviously aren't using infants on shows right now (understandable) but they should have done something else that wasn't using a blanket for Eddie to kiss.

I also hate how unrealistic Regina and Rome's adoption storyline has been. No way would Regina and Rome get bumped up to the very top of the list AND get a call mere hours after losing the first baby. I'm glad to see a more realistic way of seeing Regina approach parenthood and adoption. Instead of jumping right into it and being excited like they had her be last season, they are allowing her to be more cautious. I was more on her side than Rome's. No, buddy, Regina isn't taking anything away from you by saying no. She's being smart in needing to process these feelings. It makes it seem like Rome ISN'T ready to be a father and just wants something to focus on that's not his depression if he can move to the next baby that fast. I still wish Regina wanted to be child-free or have them adopt an older child.

So, Eddie is paralyzed. I guess that's some karmatic justice for his cheating but we all know he will be walking by episode 9 or 10 so it's just a journey to see how this affects him. Pain med addiction probably. Theo definitely annoys me. He's either too happy or too self-aware. It's frustrating that we see the same beats from the kid.

Darcy is too good for Gary and this show. Now she builds ramps for Eddie with no help?

• Love 7

I am sure Eddie will walk again. Has there ever been a show where someone got paralyzed and then didn't magically get the ability to walk back? I guess the mystery of who hit him will be the season long mystery/thread.

All the talk about Maggie not having cash reminds me of when I went to London. The first thing I did after we landed was try and use the ATM, and my card was denied. By two machines. (It was a bank glitch, I had plenty of money). Then the person I was with used their card and got a receipt saying $200 was taken out of her account, but absolutely no cash. We were super stressing out because we asked and were told most cab drivers would not take credit cards. We hadn't had a ton of American cash because we knew it was cheaper to use an ATM then exchange cash at the airport, but we had to exchange all of it to make sure we'd have enough money for the next few days. And then after all this our cab dropped us at the wrong hotel (they had similar names).

But I bet none of that happened to Maggie. She was just clueless. I thought the part with the phone was worse than the money.

Also, if you were assigned a roommate and couldn't make contact with them for some reason, wouldn't you at least Google them? I'd want to know what the person looked like at least.

• Love 2

Well that was disappointing.  The storyline was pushed along very quickly after sufficient heart wrenching hospital scenes in order to get Eddie home so they could get to the aftermath of the accident.  Possible pain killer addiction, drinking, pickup driver stalking.  They disposed of Eddie’s sister pretty quickly too, with saying Katherine threw her out of the hospital.  Like any of what happened was her fault.  I thought it was great that part of Eddie’s vows were that he broke their marriage vows by being unfaithful and Delilah is right there, holding their love child.  The minute we find out Maggie’s roommate is a guy, we all knew where that is heading, so obvious.   I hope this show gets better or I may have to jump ship.  Oh, put me in the group that finds Theo annoying and obnoxious and charming at all.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

That's the part that got me confused. Maggie should have reached out to Jamie through messages somehow and let him know that she was a replacement. She would have wanted to ask questions about what she might need to bring or anything to just say hello. Did she really not reach out to Jamie at all? It's ridiculous that she didn't try to. I know she didn't need to but Maggie's supposed to be smart. I'm glad Jamie hated her right off the bat but we know this show won't let that last.

After zero contact she just turns up?  Presumably with a lot of luggage.  Why didn't she contact whoever had set all this up? What if her room-mate wasn't home?  Or was on holiday?  Was she going to camp out on the front doorstep until someone turned up?

• Love 3

Showing Charlie as a small blanket in her mother’s arms was so ridiculous I can’t even imagine what everybody was thinking - that silly prop actually got past a bunch of people, including director and actors. wtf?!

• Love 5

Ok, worse than I thought. They took a decent show and drove it into the ground. We are family? The melodrama, the Oxford debacle, people acting like idiots and I'm sure an (overused now) addiction coming up. They lost me at the stupid dog plot last year but gave it one more try. I'd rather watch ER reruns and TIU and Call the Midwife. All better written. The only plus tonight for me, was the Jon flashback.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I also hate how unrealistic Regina and Rome's adoption storyline has been. No way would Regina and Rome get bumped up to the very top of the list AND get a call mere hours after losing the first baby. I'm glad to see a more realistic way of seeing Regina approach parenthood and adoption. 

I am an OB/GYN in real life, in practice 34 years.  In my experience, about 90% of planned adoptions never take place; the birth mother changes her mind and keeps the baby.  So, in that respect, the story was accurate.  However, I am wondering how it is that a woman in labor hooks up with a private adoption agency and tells the adoption coordinator she'll take pot luck on parents.  That does not happen.  In real life, a woman who decides to surrender her baby for adoption while in labor is going to be seen by a hospital social worker who will contact the county and the baby will go through the public adoption system with DCFS.  Even if a woman contacted a private agency and told them she had no interest in choosing the adoptive parents, the agency itself would take a look at her profile and try to find a couple who matched her preferences.  Even if the laboring woman specified that she only wanted a married, middle class African American couple (or a chef and a director), the agency undoubtedly had multiple other couples fitting the bill who'd been waiting even longer than Rome and Regina, who, as I recall, got picked by Eve pretty shortly after they applied to adopt.  Most couples wait for years and most have multiple disappointments before getting a 'take home baby'.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

After zero contact she just turns up?  Presumably with a lot of luggage.  Why didn't she contact whoever had set all this up? What if her room-mate wasn't home?  Or was on holiday?  Was she going to camp out on the front doorstep until someone turned up?

Have they acknowledged the pandemic on the show?  I wouldn't just show up at anyone's house these days.  Not that a cancer survivor has anything to worry about if they contract the disease....

• Love 2
1 hour ago, snarkylady said:

Have they acknowledged the pandemic on the show?  I wouldn't just show up at anyone's house these days.  Not that a cancer survivor has anything to worry about if they contract the disease....

Yes, Fauci was on the teevee at the hospital talking about the virus when Katherine and Theo were there picking up Eddie, but I’m guessing it was still Early Days because no masks, etc.  Unless that’s the only passing reference they’re going to have, which wouldn’t surprise me in the least with this dopey show.

Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 1

I know the timeline is always confusing on this show, but this episode really had me going WTF? Didn’t they say it was one month since the accident? How the heck did Maggie’s hair grow that fast in ONE month? I am completely flabbergasted 😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, srpturtle80 said:

I know the timeline is always confusing on this show, but this episode really had me going WTF? Didn’t they say it was one month since the accident? How the heck did Maggie’s hair grow that fast in ONE month? I am completely flabbergasted 😂

Maggie’s hair grew faster than Charlie!

• LOL 16
  • Love 5

2 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

Yes, Fauci was on the teevee at the hospital talking about the virus when Katherine and Theo were there picking up Eddie, but I’m guessing it was still Early Days because no masks, etc.  unless that’s the only passing reference they’re going to have, which wouldn’t surprise me in the least with 5his dopey show.

Yes, and that was after the one month later. Maggie got to London before that, so if the one month later was early days, that would have been before it. If they do a realistic Covid portrayal, Maggie will be stuck in London for months.

• Love 2

I haven't watched the episode yet, was of the mind that "eh, I dunno, I guess I will" but I decided I'd rather watch some lighter fare (Young Sheldon and Mom) and get ready for bed a little earlier and save the stressful stuff (this and Grey's) for the weekend. Now after reading all the comments I can't decide if I want to just not bother or if I want to see the train wreck...

Eh, it's not like I have any other plans this weekend...🚉

• Love 2

Well FFS.  That was depressing as F.  Like wow what a downer.  As if life didn’t suck enough in real life.  I don’t know if it’s worth it to keep watching.  Which sucks because I am lacking in programmed not medical or police dramas to watch. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So hold on, this guy who I am assuming is the dead lake girls dad stalked Eddie, ran him over, and then called an ambulance? And is now stalking him?

I think the show wants us to think it is a coincidence, maybe the guy was drunk, magically found out who was the victim, and we have another plot where Eddie will have to forgive the guy because he feels guilty about the girl who died, that. Another season goes by, easy work for the bad writers. 

Maggie's story is really pathetic. She will pack up and go back to "family" right? Because people ca live on heartwarming words and professional commitments don't mean a thing to them.

This writing of the show has always been bad but now they have descended further. Can't they at least borrow some dummie babies to put on a sling or stroller instead of turning back in time to make Charlie an infant again? I am old enough to remember Land of the Giants, the little dolls they had with the moving legs every time a giant picked them up. Those props were more convincing than the baby prop they used in the episode. 

• Love 2
On 11/20/2020 at 6:59 AM, cardigirl said:

I think this is the one thing that we, as viewers, are going to have to ignore and forgive on every show right now.  Nobody is going to have a baby on set during a virus situation - that's probably why on This Is Us Toby & Kate's baby Jack hasn't been seen yet this season ( just mentioned napping, babysitter etc).  I'm still trying to guess how Call The Midwife will deal with this.  But I'm giving all shows a pass for either disappearing babies or dolls that don't really fool us if it's all done in the spirit of keeping the actual babies/toddlers they would have used safe.

I didn't hate the episode but I'm definitely disappointed that of all the choices they went with paralysis.  It's the standard, almost cliche choice that's been done many, many times before.  Eddie is a musician if they wanted to give him a challenge they had so many other choices.  My original guess when last season ended was a hand or arm injury that left him unable to play guitar but they could have gone with brain trauma that affected his coordination, deafness would have been devastating for him, even making him blind although a little cliche would have been more compelling.   But can't walk and hinting at an Oxy problem (why didn't he tell Katherine to flush those pills immediately?) seems like taking the easy way out.

Also Gary is pretty good looking, definitely loyal and can be funny but I don't know if the writers have sold him as such a great catch that we want to see two women dealing with their jealousy over things like whether one of them knows he took the dog to the vet.  James Roday Rodriguez deserves a little better then a one note story line and being the perpetual sidekick.

But..........Still going to keep watching.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, politichick said:

Theo is as annoying as ever. He also doesn't seem to have grown like the other boy. This show is a mess and I'm wondering why I watched it. 

I've been a Theo apologist for a while, but yeah, it's starting to be grating even for me. Though the young actor certainly doesn't seem to have grown much, as have the other children on the show.

14 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I am sure Eddie will walk again. Has there ever been a show where someone got paralyzed and then didn't magically get the ability to walk back?

Friday Night Lights. An amazing, brutal, depiction of the struggle and learning to live with it. And it wasn't even the main character (though an important one).

11 hours ago, srpturtle80 said:

I noted that too. I mean, we're all familiar with Covid hair growth - and at the one month mark, my short hair was just a little shaggier.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I've been a Theo apologist for a while, but yeah, it's starting to be grating even for me. Though the young actor certainly doesn't seem to have grown much, as have the other children on the show.

Oh, but thanks to the magic power of Theo, Eddie gave up drinking TWICE! Went back to his marriage, TWICE! I'm sure he will hold his dad's hand in like 5 episodes and be: "Rise and walk again dad, do it for me!" Then Eddie will be: "I can walk again!" Followed by dad/stalker who hit him going: "Why did I ever think of taking Eddie away from his precious son and rob him of that love! I'm so evil!"

• LOL 7
7 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

I think this is the one thing that we, as viewers, are going to have to ignore and forgive on every show right now.  Nobody is going to have a baby on set during a virus situation - that's probably why on This Is Us Toby & Kate's baby Jack hasn't been seen yet this season ( just mentioned napping, babysitter etc).  I'm still trying to guess how Call The Midwife will deal with this.  But I'm giving all shows a pass for either disappearing babies or dolls that don't really fool us if it's all done in the spirit of keeping the actual babies/toddlers they would have used safe.

I totally get this. But one throw away line like “Charlie is asleep in the house, can’t wait for you to see her” or have Delilah rocking a stroller and say “she just fell asleep.” Anything would be better than the ridiculous way they went - holding a blanket too small for anyone other than the newest newborn.  The writers don’t even try on this show. Yet, still I watch. Lol. 

• Love 8
22 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Yes, the actor is probably the only case of a child actor who doesn't have a big change from one season to the next. I am not sure how old the kid is but it kind of sucks that he still looks so young because the writers are just going to continue making him annoyingly childish, with the cuddles and pampering.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

One site says that he was born in May 2009, three days before my son was born. My son does NOT behave anything like Theo. Not even a year ago either.

One of the reasons I was an apologist for Theo in the beginning is that I had a child who was very like him - both young for their age, and in sometimes showing incredible emotional intelligence along with basic smarts. But though they continued to be emotionally younger than their age group, they did in fact evolve and mature.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

One of the reasons I was an apologist for Theo in the beginning is that I had a child who was very like him - both young for their age, and in sometimes showing incredible emotional intelligence along with basic smarts. But though they continued to be emotionally younger than their age group, they did in fact evolve and mature.

How true and that is pretty much Theo. Plus, the kid would get just a bit upset and have nose bleeds. Then his nigh terrors were just from other people joking. That shows the kid has some anxiety disorder, which can be common in these types of kids. Yet, the show is basically: "Oh that's just Theo, he magically makes his father be a better person." 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

One of the reasons I was an apologist for Theo in the beginning is that I had a child who was very like him - both young for their age, and in sometimes showing incredible emotional intelligence along with basic smarts.

And that would be ok if the writers made it part of the stories. As it is, Theo is a little quirky and very immature. It is ok to allow a child to be themselves, but they keep infantilizing him. They don't treat him his age.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, circumvent said:

And that would be ok if the writers made it part of the stories. As it is, Theo is a little quirky and very immature. It is ok to allow a child to be themselves, but they keep infantilizing him. They don't treat him his age.

Right and what are the writers going to do if the show lasted longer? Oh it's quirky and super immature teen Theo who still gets nose bleeds if he sees a girl he likes or maybe the writers can be "daring" and made him gay as well. 

• Love 1
On 11/20/2020 at 6:23 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I’d forgotten exactly how much I enjoyed the lack of Delilah over the past few months. I was rolling my eyes at the “we’re all family” comments from her to Katherine. Ahhh, such a sweet family! You, me, my dead husband’s best friend who I fucked behind your back, my kids, your kids, and the illegitimate daughter who I tried to pass off as the child of my dead husband instead of my very alive lover who happens to be your husband!

Hahahahaha!  You guys are all cracking me up over here, but this is spot on.  

And wasn’t Sophie filming this “vow renewal”, all like “aww they’re so cute”?  Yeah that’s realistic too.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

I said to my husband when we first saw Eddie in the hospital bed that soap opera rules mandate that he either wake up with amnesia or paralysis. As other have pointed out, he's sure to pull a Downton Abbey recovery by season's end.

Just as we were saying maybe ONE person could stay with Katherine, Gary showed up.

Everyone's covered how ridiculous Maggie's story was. (Although, there's no accounting for stupid. My boss's daughter did a summer semester at Oxford with her Stanford classmates. When it came time to fly home, the daughter was the only one who knew how to get from Oxford to Heathrow, and only because her mother researched the options and emailed the daughter a route. Stanford students, people!)

I looked forward to this show returning -- it's such a fun hate watch. I hope nobody takes it seriously. Must be written by young writers with no life experience.

Edited by smartymarty
  • Love 7
On 11/21/2020 at 9:11 AM, readster said:

Oh, but thanks to the magic power of Theo, Eddie gave up drinking TWICE! Went back to his marriage, TWICE! I'm sure he will hold his dad's hand in like 5 episodes and be: "Rise and walk again dad, do it for me!" Then Eddie will be: "I can walk again!" Followed by dad/stalker who hit him going: "Why did I ever think of taking Eddie away from his precious son and rob him of that love! I'm so evil!"

I’m surprised Theo didn’t build the ramps, BOTH of them ALL BY HIMSELF.   

• LOL 8