Type keyword(s) to search

E01.01: Diamond of the First Water

• Start Topic

On 1/30/2021 at 2:55 PM, gingerella said:

If you feel that way about the colors and fabrics then let me add to this that the jewelry is anything but period-correct! There are Edwardian, Belle Epoque, Victorian, but very little Georgian-era jewelry spotted as of yet. I mean, it's not that difficult to do period-correct jewelry and costuming, I don't understand the need to do otherwise.

The above aside, I felt the first episode was trite and thin in terms of it's depth with both characters and writing. However, given what we've endured during 2020, I gave it wider berth and continued on, and the series grows on you, and the lightness and frivolity is what I need right now, so I'm okay with the mediocre acting on certain levels, and the lack of depth. It is fluffy, light, rather like eating a Pavlova or a Macaron, as opposed to a rich cake or pie confection.

I finally got around to checking out the pilot. I wanted to like this so much. I'm okay with the plot and I'm not going to give the show a hard time about the various inaccuracies since it's obvious that this is the kind of show that we're supposed to just have fun with and not take too seriously. 

That being said, half of the reason I wanted to see this was for the fashion. It's one of my favorite things about a period drama and I found the fashion to be disappointing overall. This looks more like a CW show in terms of production values. The costumes, the CGI, the sets, the hairstyles--I was fully prepared for the idea that I'd enjoy the visual spectacle of Bridgerton if nothing else, but this mostly feels like a missed opportunity. 

Harlots was a show that wasn't going for 100% accuracy with the fashion, but they still managed to make the costumes fun and gorgeous with out being nailed down to every historical detail of the period.

In this first episode, I thought so many of the hairstyles were terrible to the point of being distracting. The jewelry--it all looks so cheap. Netflix shows usually have terrific production values so I'm surprised by how tacky some of this stuff looked. 

Thanks to the posters who clarified that the Featherington (sp?) ladies costumes are actually supposed to look garish and terrible. Poor Marina for having to deal with them. 

I'm going to watch more of the show. I'm hoping it'll grow on me based on all of the positive stuff I've heard and read. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

I'm going to watch more of the show. I'm hoping it'll grow on me based on all of the positive stuff I've heard and read. 

Most people seem to start watching out of curiosity, & keep watching for the Duke of Hastings. 😆

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

I finally got around to checking out the pilot. I wanted to like this so much. I'm okay with the plot and I'm not going to give the show a hard time about the various inaccuracies since it's obvious that this is the kind of show that we're supposed to just have fun with and not take too seriously. 

That being said, half of the reason I wanted to see this was for the fashion. It's one of my favorite things about a period drama and I found the fashion to be disappointing overall. This looks more like a CW show in terms of production values. The costumes, the CGI, the sets, the hairstyles--I was fully prepared for the idea that I'd enjoy the visual spectacle of Bridgerton if nothing else, but this mostly feels like a missed opportunity. 

Harlots was a show that wasn't going for 100% accuracy with the fashion, but they still managed to make the costumes fun and gorgeous with out being nailed down to every historical detail of the period.

In this first episode, I thought so many of the hairstyles were terrible to the point of being distracting. The jewelry--it all looks so cheap. Netflix shows usually have terrific production values so I'm surprised by how tacky some of this stuff looked. 

Thanks to the posters who clarified that the Featherington (sp?) ladies costumes are actually supposed to look garish and terrible. Poor Marina for having to deal with them. 

At the end of the day, we're still in a pandemic situation and for me, it was worth enduring the inaccurate details and as you said, the rather poor excuses for wardrobe, hair and jewelry. But since I'm not traveling right now it was an armchair escape and it was worth watching all in all. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts as you move on in the series...there are other 'issues' but I shan't bitch about them here!

• Love 1

I just watched the first episode, and it seems like it will be an enjoyable light diversion.  I'm not terribly attached to any of the characters yet, and they seem to be well acted.  The only actress I'm familiar with so far is Lady Featherington who seems to be playing a similarly meddlesome mother like she did on "Rome".   The sets and cinematography are visually nice to look like.  The colour conscious casting and the pop music gives the show the feel of a modern fantasy/fairy tale.  I'm not familiar with the books, though it was difficult to avoid reading a bit about the show/upcoming season casting since it was such a runaway success, and I don't know if that will affect my enjoyment of the story vs. coming in completely blind.  It does seem to be a bit cliched in terms of plot so far with the initial animosity between the two main love interests, and the cousin being pregnant, probably against her will considering her reaction to Lady Featherington's accusations.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I don't think I've ever watched a TV show that was so easy on the eyes. 

Especially if the eyes are looking at the Duke of Hastings 😄

• LOL 8
  • Love 5

I just watched the first episode and what seemed really disjointed for me was how old Eloise looked.  Someone above included the actress' real age and I think the character looks every bit of that.  I want to like the character as she has spunk (per Lou Grant on the Mary Tyler Moore show), but her older appearance doesn't make the spunk work so well for me.

• Love 1