Type keyword(s) to search

S46.E06: Dave Chappelle / The Foo Fighters

• Start Topic

On 11/8/2020 at 8:27 PM, helenamonster said:

I was also weirded out by Dave smoking. It's illegal to smoke indoors in New York (and I imagine everywhere else in the US), so I wondered if it was a prop cigarette. But then like, why would he do it? It added nothing to the monologue and actually resulted in a very awkward, stilted cadence.

It's his "thing."  This is what he said when he accepted Mark Twain Prize for American Humor at the Kennedy Center last year, where he smoked onstage when he gave his speech:

And I want everyone in America right now to look at me, look at me smoking indoors. I didn’t ask anybody. I just did it. What they gonna do, kick me out before I get the prize? No, n*****, this is called leverage.

Something that bothered me about his monologue. The part where he talks about people choosing not to work because they're living off stimulus checks. I'm sorry, what stimulus checks are those? The single $1200 stimulus check that people got back in May or whatever?

Pretty sure no one's gotten another one since, so pretty sure that no one can choose not to work and "live off" that one stimulus check. Don't the setups to these jokes have to somewhat match reality to be funny? I mean, if people had been getting monthly checks then the joke works, but literally no one has gotten another check since the spring.

I feel like there's a "chip on his shoulder" rich guy whiff to a lot of Chappelle's jokes these days that reveal he doesn't have any idea what struggling people are actually going through, he just has some completely skewed, untrue perception of it that he bases his jokes on.

• Love 5
On 11/15/2020 at 12:24 AM, ruby24 said:

Something that bothered me about his monologue. The part where he talks about people choosing not to work because they're living off stimulus checks. I'm sorry, what stimulus checks are those? The single $1200 stimulus check that people got back in May or whatever?

Pretty sure no one's gotten another one since, so pretty sure that no one can choose not to work and "live off" that one stimulus check. Don't the setups to these jokes have to somewhat match reality to be funny? I mean, if people had been getting monthly checks then the joke works, but literally no one has gotten another check since the spring.

I feel like there's a "chip on his shoulder" rich guy whiff to a lot of Chappelle's jokes these days that reveal he doesn't have any idea what struggling people are actually going through, he just has some completely skewed, untrue perception of it that he bases his jokes on.

I just re-read the transcript of Chappelle’s bit pointing out that the same Black-welfare-queen logic of the 90s is now being applied for the first time to whites (https://scrapsfromtheloft.com/2020/11/08/dave-chappelle-snl-monologue-2020-transcript/) and, although it doesn’t really work as an analogy because Congress only gave the checks out once, it was something he thought was ironic and worth milking for laughs. 
Chappelle might not know Congress never passed a bill to continue the checks, or he might have been referring to the bill being hung up in part because of the same attitudes toward unemployed Blacks of the 90s now being applied to whites in the pandemic.
If Chappelle uses that joke again in another venue, maybe he’ll tweak it a bit.  
Or maybe he just liked stirring up folks who are listening to him and are still unemployed and only got one check since the pandemic began? That does seem in character for him. Like the smoking on stage. 
And, yes, he is now the rich Black guy pointing out that the unemployed whites would prefer to get paid “not to work,” which doesn’t have quite as much burn as it would if he was a poor Black comic just starting out 
—or does it?

Edited by shapeshifter
Clarity
7 hours ago, ruby24 said:

I don't know why either. Seems pretty one-sided to me.

14 hours ago, ruby24 said:

He might have been talking about unemployment benefits, which in some states/some situations, there were times when it might have been more than the person's previous paycheck.  But I'm not going to go back and rewatch to check that.

Edited by SoMuchTV
fixing type
  • Love 6
On 11/15/2020 at 10:44 AM, SoMuchTV said:

He might have been talking about unemployment benefits, which in some states/some situations, there were times when it might have been more than the person's previous paycheck.  But I'm not going to go back and rewatch to check that.

That's pretty much what I was thinking.  Even if he said "stimulus checks", which he probably did, he could have been referring to the extended unemployment benefits, which were part of the stimulus package.  Comics aren't always real specific with their language.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 11/7/2020 at 10:19 PM, vb68 said:

What a night for a time delay. I'm sure Lorne is furious!

My Local Channel had Pro Foot Ball and the game went over ! They went to the Local News, but then IT Jumped in the Middle of NCIS ! Then, They had the Monologue come on ! I wonder if they did not want to have Jim Carrey on so They put on NCIS Instead !

On 11/7/2020 at 10:44 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

The game is over ...... finally !!!

Start the 30 minute clock.  SNL should start at approx. 12:15pm.

Would you Believe that Again, Saturday Night Live Started AT 12:15 and this is January 9, 2021 ! I think that is Interesting that IT Happened the Very Same Time as IT Did In November ! I'm Sorry, I just remembered that that is not so ! IT Started at 11:25 and Week End update was AT 12:15 ! Sorry about That !

On 11/7/2020 at 10:29 PM, Peace 47 said:

They just went to second overtime.  As both a Clemson fan and an SNL fan, I want this to be over!  (But only with a Clemson win, haha.) 

I Felt The Same Way On The Repeat With Vanderbilt And Stanford ! ! I Wanted Vanderbilt To Win, BUT, I Did Not Want To Miss Saturday Night Live Even On A Repeat ! ! My Game Finished, But Vanderbilt Lost ! ! !

On 11/7/2020 at 10:32 PM, meatball77 said:

WTF?  Who cares about football.  Shove it over to another channel and give us SNL.

My Game WAs NOT ON NBC  With the repeat ! How Ever, I Wanted Vanderbilt To Pull OFF A Gigantic Up Set By Beating Stanford ! How Ever, Vanderbilt Lost !

On 11/7/2020 at 11:50 PM, xaxat said:

Dave Chappelle was the perfect pick to host the post election show. That monologue was great.

"But I'm Aunt Jemima!"

THE MONOLOGUE WAS TOO LONG !

On 11/8/2020 at 12:24 AM, Galileo908 said:

CRAP, this ate my original post that had everything up to Update. Gonna recap as best to my memory.

Cold Open: Election WEEK with Wolf Blitzer was a MOOD. I saw the Daily Show the day after the 2008 election and I'm sure the energy in the audience was about the same, if not more. Who else called Trump repeating the Hallelujah cold open from 2016?! Super sad "Macho Man" was way better. You could just feel how relieved everyone is.

Monologue: Dave gave the perfect amount of fucks right now: Zero. This was what I wanted to see in 2016: Catharsis.

"I can't tell anything true without a punchline behind it." The most true thing he ever said.

Well, that was a great show, everyone. Hell of a special.

...wait, there's sketches after this?! That wasn't the whole show?! Okay!

Aunt Jemima & Uncle Ben: This was 100% a Chappelle's Show sketch. I loved this so much, it went in a direction I totally wasn't expecting. Dave Chappelle as the Allstate Guy was genius (and he was breaking! You would too if that was the first time you heard that voice), but then came Pete as Count Chocula. I wondered if Dave calling out Pete's lips was an ad lib or part of the sketch? I also loved to see Maya and Alec Baldwin in sketches outside of the political ones.

Mario: This also went in a direction I wasn't expecting. I was hoping for Mario jokes...and then it turned into a story about Kyle Mooney popping his own balls. ...I don't think Target was around in 1985. Or Kyle Mooney and Mikey Day for that matter. Bleh.

Take Me Back: This was great, and kept getting better. "You're 18 NOW?!" was just great.

WU: You know what, all this "never forgive Trump's enablers" talk should really include SNL, too. They're just gonna pretend that episode never happened, right? Personally, I intentionally skipped that episode, and it was thanks to a friend's birthday party I had an excuse. I love that Che was still able to drink, and also gave zero fucks.

Gotta love Kate showing up as Rudy Giuliani. No lie, instead of giving a press conference at a Four Seasons, it was a landscaping center that was, and I kid you not, between a crematorium and a sex shop. This was yet another week where they let the actual news do the heavy lifting, as this day alone was weird enough.

Hailstorm: Nothing really happened until the end.

DC Morning: Ha, Trump fleeing the White House in a White Bronco with Don Jr driving. This was also something out of Chappelle's Show. I can't believe it was so short.

I honestly thought this show really SHOULD have ended after the monologue, or at least the Aunt Jemima sketch. This was the 6th show in a row, delayed by football, and after a REALLY crazy week, you could tell everyone was tired and wanted this to END.

Next week is Chris Rock...thank god it's a rerun.

IT WAS SO LONG Because OF The Monologue ! IF They Had Stopped After The Monologue, They Would Not Had Aunt Jemima, But They Also Would Not Have Beck And Ego ! ! They Also Would Not Had Don Jr Driving A White Bronco With His Father And The Police Chasing Them ! That Might Have Been On Update Though !

On 11/8/2020 at 12:43 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Did the smoking during the monologue bother anyone?  At least the audience is masked. Not a good look on network tv, though.

I Wished He Had Not Been Smoking Because That Made Him Take Longer To Do The Monologue ! Just Do The Monologue And That Would Have Been A Lot Shorter ! The Monologue Was FIFTEEN MINUTES ! 

On 11/8/2020 at 4:22 AM, vb68 said:

Did anybody clock Chappelle's monologue? It felt like it could have been about 20 minutes, but I wasn't sure.

The Monologue WAS FIFTEEN MINUTES ! 

On 11/8/2020 at 10:35 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I don't like it when somebody gets to break health and safety rules just because they're famous. And Lorne, etc., are complicit because they want him on the show.

Why would he be in everything?  I don't think that's typical.  John Mulaney might be an exception because his history's so entwined with the show.

I Might Be Wrong ,But, I Think The Host IS ALWAYS In EVERY SKETCH ! 

On 11/8/2020 at 1:57 PM, cpcathy said:

Hopefully Trump won’t do anything too unhinged that we won’t need Alec back to comment on it. Fingers crossed.

it was an unusual episode, have we ever seen a host in only two full sketches?? Did Dave not want to do more than that?

When George Carlin Was The Host, He Did NOT Appear In ANY Sketches ! George Carlin Only Did The Monologue ! Actually, George Carlin Had What Was Like FOUR Monologues ! George Carlin Did The Difference Between Baseball And Foot Ball Was One Monologue And Another Monologue Was About Religion ! That Was With There's An Invisible Man That Has A Place DOWN THERE Where You Go For Ever And Ever, But, He LOVES YOU ! He also Had The TEN COMMAANDMENTS That He Kept Getting Them Down To As Few As Possible ! What I Liked About Base Ball And Foot Ball Was You Wear A Cap ! You Wear A Helmet ! You Have a Rigid Timed Game ! I'm going Home ! I'm Going Home ! We May Have Extra Innings ! I Don't Know What Is The Funniest Comparing Base Ball And Foot Ball OR Religion ! ! !

On 11/8/2020 at 4:05 PM, heatherchandler said:

I usually love Chapelle, but this monologue was not good.  The audience seemed to agree, they groaned a few times.

The political content was awful imo.

Overall this was a terrible show, after a string of bad shows.  They need new writers.

Most people work for all-weeks-in-a-row without a month break.. they can’t work 6 weeks in a row without total exhaustion?

I Thought Don Jr Kidnapping His Father And Driving A White Bronco And The Police Chasing Them Like OJ Simpson Was Creative And Inspired ! ! I Like The White Bronco Chase The Best ! I Guess I Liked Aunt Jemima Next Best ! !

On 11/9/2020 at 12:57 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

Are Aidy and Cecily still on the show? I see they are still in the opening credits.

I think the monologue went on too long and I like Chapelle, although some of his content makes me cringe a bit.

Back in the day, I used to always skip WU but now it's my favorite part.

NEVER MIND ! AND I AM OUT OF HERE ! Those Are TWO Different Things ON Week End Update ! ! 

The repeat that aired tonight had a tribute photo for Norm MacDonald after Update was finished. That seems the standard  protocol these days. Seems like that was the very least they could do. I wish they had aired the episode he hosted instead. Norm deserved that.  

On a lighter note, Dave Chappelle won an Emmy for hosting this episode last weekend.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3