Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: Sex Bucket and the Grammar Police

jewel21

I really miss Christy and I'm not sure I like the new dynamic. This show was always about Christy and Bonnie and their relationship and then the rest of the cast. I think this is going to take some getting used to on my own part. 

The scene with Tammy speaking to her father was really powerful and well done. The actress always does a great job with these heavy subjects. 

Also, I wanted more Gus, heh. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 16

Not sure I like how they keep throwing health scares at Marjorie. First she had cancer, now a heart thing. It seems manufactured. I’m pretty sure they’re not going to write out the character after just losing Christie, so it seems unnecessary "stuff." I’d rather see Marjorie meet a new man or get a new job and see more about Wendy, and about Jill and Andy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16

I liked the new pictures of the cast during the opening. I rewound and watched in slo-mo. I wish they had gotten a new picture for Tammy, though.

I thought this was a good episode; they didn't dwell on Christy's absence and just dove into the story.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

So Christy went from strip mall law school to Georgetown after a barely passable stint as an intern? Yeah, that was believable. 

It shows just how marginal Christy had become that I never even missed her. It still seems so mysterious why Anna Faris left a year into a two-year contract. She's never going to be a movie star if that was the reason. 

• Love 18

I enjoyed this episode a lot. Mom has pretty much been hit-or-miss for me for the last two years, as it seemed to have become the "Bonnie and Tammy Show," with too much Tammy, IMO. Plus, the writers either didn't seem to be interested in writing for the Christie character or didn't know what to do with her. But if tonight was any indication, the show runners have figured out how best to use Kristen Johnston's talents, Tammy's kinetic goofiness certainly seemed to be dampened a lot, and she had a touching story.

With a strong, veteran ensemble cast, and good writers, I think Mom will easily survive AF's departure. But as another poster said, enough of Marjorie getting sick, we've been down that road before. I'm also hoping we get more of Wendy this season as well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I think the show will survive Faris’s departure just fine (at least for this season) given how marginalized she seemed to get in the last season or two and how much the group grew to be the focus of the show. It was a good episode overall

• Love 9

I wish they wouldn't have come up with such a ridiculous reason for her to leave.  Georgetown Law scholarship? I don't think Christie could handle something like that.

I would have preferred if they just fast forwarded to her having graduated and going somewhere else because she got offered a job.

Otherwise, I liked the blend of comedy and seriousness.  I also liked Wendy's dilemma.  It addressed COVID, in a way, without directly addressing COVID.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Christy must have gotten one of Georgetown Law's many scholarships designated for students who are almost finished with their strip mall law schools! I get that they wanted to give her a nice send off, but that was a bit much. Well, nothing about their depiction of law school has been particularly accurate, so they might as well go out with a bang!

Bonnie was a good friend to Tammy in this episode, but not to Marjorie. If I were Marjorie, I would have been really irritated that Bonnie steamrolled over the evening I'd been planning for weeks, and then harassed me repeatedly about the cake.

1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

So Christy went from strip mall law school to Georgetown after a barely passable stint as an intern? Yeah, that was believable. 

It shows just how marginal Christy had become that I never even missed her. It still seems so mysterious why Anna Faris left a year into a two-year contract. She's never going to be a movie star if that was the reason. 

45 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I wish they wouldn't have come up with such a ridiculous reason for her to leave.  Georgetown Law scholarship? I don't think Christie could handle something like that.

I would have preferred if they just fast forwarded to her having graduated and going somewhere else because she got offered a job.

Otherwise, I liked the blend of comedy and seriousness.  I also liked Wendy's dilemma.  It addressed COVID, in a way, without directly addressing COVID.

Yes, I appreciate that they wanted the character to leave on a high note but this was a bit much. What next...the government adds another person to the Supreme Court just so Christy can join? It would have been far better to fast forward a couple of years and have Christy take a job in another state. They could even say that she is trying to be independent of her mother and trying to to get away from their somewhat codependent dynamic. I was thinkin this when Bonnie was crying about losing the most beautiful little girl in the world.  It is obvious that they are not planning to address real world issues like, Covid, anyway...so this would not be a big deal.

I liked Christy, since I grew up with her...she is just a little older than I am. However, she really did not have much to do the last couple of seasons. I actually thought Bonnie taking away the dinner from Marjorie was a dick move and then she had the audacity to complain that Margery brought a store cake instead of baking one from scratch.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

The way they addressed Christie leaving in the cold open with both Bonnie and Adam being moved to tears was so heartfelt, sweet but also funny! I loved it!  They even went back to look at the plane ❤️

About Marjorie's health problems. Doesn't that just make sense? When you take drugs and abuse alcohol, they put a strain on your body, your internal organs have to work harder to function properly  and keep you alive, it makes pefect sense that with aging your body collapses more than it does for a person who leads a more sober lifestyle.

• Useful 2
  • Love 21
6 minutes ago, Harvey said:

The way they addressed Christie leaving in the cold open with both Bonnie and Adam being moved to tears was so heartfelt, sweet but also funny! I loved it!  They even went back to look at the plane ❤️

About Marjorie's health problems. Doesn't that just make sense? When you take drugs and abuse alcohol, they put a strain on your body, your internal organs have to work harder to function properly  and keep you alive, it makes pefect sense that with aging your body collapses more than it does for a person who leads a more sober lifestyle.

That is true. Sometimes it was hard to believe that Bonnie and Christy lead the lives of hardcore addicts because both of them looked so good and healthy. Heck, Christy looked almost like a teenager in her 40's.

I just do not want to lose Marjorie as a character but hopefully that is not likely.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Blakeston said:

If I were Marjorie, I would have been really irritated that Bonnie steamrolled over the evening I'd been planning for weeks, and then harassed me repeatedly about the cake.

That's typical of their relationship, though. They have never really warmed up to each other. Mostly because Bonnie is a self centered bitch. 

22 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Kind of like what happened to George Michael and more recently Eddie Van Halen. They got sober but years of abuse to their bodies took a toll. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, qtpye said:

It would have been far better to fast forward a couple of years and have Christy take a job in another state. 

Totally disagree.  A time jump would change where all the women are in terms of their recovery.  Newly sober Tammy is way funnier than a Tammy with a couple years of sobriety under her belt.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Well, that's what I get from keeping spoiler-free. 'Neat, new opening credits - what, where's Christy???'

Given how frustrating Christy's situation became over the years due to sitcom rules (I call it the Full House Curse - nobody is ever allowed to leave the house) it's okay for me to lose the character although I love Anna Faris. Writing her off to Georgetown is not the most elegant solution but the writers hands were forced.

There's still a lot of story potential to mine and I think this episode set the stage for those neatly. With the exception of another health scare for Marjorie. Yes, she's in an age where health can become fragile but let's be honest so is Bonnie (who had one massive health problem that was pretty much handwaved away). 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The fact is the show really only had two options for Christy’s departure at this point.   Law school or death.    Yes getting into law school is not really believable but who cares?  Not every show has to be drenched in reality.   Plus it does leave room for Anna Farris’s return because I think she walked away from a good thing.   I saw her in the remake of Overboard and  as someone who  doesn’t hate remakes out of principle....that movie sucked balls.  

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Agree. Love AF, but Christie's explosive temper whereby she lashes into people before she hears what they have to say (when her law professor tried to tell her she got a paid internship instead of the one she applied for, for example) does not indicate Georgetown full scholarship material.  I, too, was hoping she got a decent job and might drop in periodically.  I don't know why AF left, but wonder if the "Bonnie & Tammy Show" got to be too much (it did for me). I am in the group that would like to see the original characters (the kids, Baxter, Candice, etc. once in a while). I do like how Jill took control of the party, instead of letting the others to do everything. I also liked the "fear fire" scene.  I hope Jill's fear does not signal trouble with Andy because I really like them together.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, MarthaEllisanne said:

I don't know why AF left, but wonder if the "Bonnie & Tammy Show" got to be too much (it did for me). I am in the group that would like to see the original characters (the kids, Baxter, Candice, etc. once in a while). I do like how Jill took control of the party, instead of letting the others to do everything. I also liked the "fear fire" scene.  I hope Jill's fear does not signal trouble with Andy because I really like them together.

Yep, I think Anna Faris might have felt marginalized or under-used as a new character began eating up more and more screen time.  As another poster noted, I think the "fear fire" scene was the writers' clever way of setting up each character's story arc for most of this season, which was really cool. I think Marjorie's health scare will be a minor blip - over the years the writers have always made creative use of that character. I also have a sneaking suspicion that AF may pop-up from time-to-time (assuming there's no bad feelings on anyone's part). She's a gifted comedic actress that has a lot to offer when given the right material to work with.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, qtpye said:

It would have been far better to fast forward a couple of years and have Christy take a job in another state. 

I wouldn't like a fast-forward, but they could have gone with a more realistic school that still would have required her to move. But it's a sitcom, so whatever. 

8 hours ago, qtpye said:

I actually thought Bonnie taking away the dinner from Marjorie was a dick move and then she had the audacity to complain that Margery brought a store cake instead of baking one from scratch.

I did think Bonnie's answer to the question of when Tammy said she wanted a slumber party - "when she was 14" - was sweet. But they could have had Marjorie's dinner and then gone back to Bonnie's for the slumber party.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I did think Bonnie's answer to the question of when Tammy said she wanted a slumber party - "when she was 14" - was sweet. But they could have had Marjorie's dinner and then gone back to Bonnie's for the slumber party.

You're absolutely right, but compromise isn't really Bonnie's style.

• Love 7

I absolutely can not believe that Christy would ever be able to get into Georgetown's law school, let alone on full scholarship, but since she'd become my least favorite part of the show, I'm glad she's gone.

The rest of the ep, however, was both very funny and surprisingly touching in parts.

• Love 10

This show has a strong ensemble even without Anna Faris so I thought the episode was just as good as ever. However, I had not heard that AF was leaving the show, so I didn't even know it until the opening credits rolled and I had to Google it. Wow. Yeah, I can see where AF would have grown disenchanted with her diminished role on the show in recent years. It's really been Alison Janney's show since about the second or third season. But because of that, the absence of AF isn't as noticeable. Christy has been so marginalized lately she slips right out.

I wouldn't mind seeing them give more story to Wendy, Jill and Tammy though. I thought Wendy had a nice little moment there talking about the patient that died because of they way she had to prioritize. 

Had we heard before this that Tammy's father killed her mother? Do we know the details about that?

It still seems so mysterious why Anna Faris left a year into a two-year contract. She's never going to be a movie star if that was the reason.

Well, she was a movie star to begin with. Just not lately. It's gotta hurt watching Alison Janney get all these Oscar-winning film roles while she plays second banana on a TV sitcom she was supposed to be the star of.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

Hard to believe Christy would get a full scholarship to Georgetown Law, wish they would have come up with something more credible.  Once again Bonnie bullied Marjorie and had them all do what she wanted to do on Tammy’s Bday, so nothing new with Bonnie.  Glad there was hardly any Adam, not a fan, and don’t find him attractive at all, not sure why the women think he is hot.  I love the Tammy character and don’t mind seeing a lot of her.  Hope Andy and Jill stay together, love them as a couple.  Please give us more Rainn Wilson this season.  How about Wendy and Rainn’s character together?  Hoping the show continues to be good even without Christy.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, iMonrey said:

Had we heard before this that Tammy's father killed her mother? Do we know the details about that?

In last season's last episode, Tammy shared that her father murdered her mother to Bonnie while they were driving.  It's worth looking for the scene on the net, it was well-written and supremely acted.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Yes during the episode when they go back to the foster home they were in together, the foster mom tells Bonnie.  No details were given.

• Love 7

So no one's going to mention my favourite scene? When Bonnie had to go into the gas station for her Dare with bra & panties on over her clothes, ask for the smallest condoms they have, and then serenade the bemused attendant with "Natural Woman"? No one? I laughed myself silly.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 8

It just felt a bit flat to me. I wish AF would have been on board with an actual farewell episode, it would have felt more organic. And just like they missed her vacuuming and cleaning up after the meeting (apparently everyone believed in the cleaning fairy) I think the show will miss her. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

Anna Farris is funny but I never really thought she was leading lady (carry your own show) funny.    She is the same kind of funny someone like Johnny Galecki is.    They both play a great “straight man” but the down side is that they need someone to play off of and that person usually gets most of the credit. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 12

I haven't watched this yet, but I wanted to check in here to see how they explained Christy's absence.  Having her transfer to a better law school was my suggestion when Faris's departure was announced, so obviously I like this choice, but damn, show - I didn't mean a full ride to Georgetown!  That's ridiculous.

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 7
  • Love 6
29 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I haven't watched this yet, but I wanted to check in here to see how they explained Christy's departure.  Having her transfer to a better law school was my suggestion when Faris's departure was announced, so obviously I like this choice, but damn, show - I didn't mean a full ride to Georgetown!  That's ridiculous.

I figured they'd have her get a job offer but then I couldn't remember how far along in school she actually was.

15 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The idea wasn't totally ridiculous, just the way that did. My guess was that it would be law school scholarship to a state school. California has some excellent public universities, and it's a large enough state so that she could too far away from home to come back on a regular basis. I was wrong, but I think my version is slightly more realistic. But, as other people have pointed out, sitcoms are not known for being realistic. 

I didn't miss Christie at all. I enjoyed the episode and the way it bounced between silly and serious. I hope we get more with Wendy this season. I also want to see more of Andy and Jill as a couple. 

• Love 4

So, Spectrum changed the image graphic ---  that was fast.

For all of you who are not Spectrum customers, allow me to explain.

When I call up the guide on Spectrum, they show a image graphic of the show that you have highlighted.

to the left of the synopsis of the specific show.

The image graphic is the same for every episode of the show.

They show an image of all six actors (and the title) when you highlight an episode of "Friends",

they show an image of Lucille Ball (and the title) when you highlight an episode of "I Love Lucy", etc.

They changed the image graphic of "Two and A Half Men" when they had their shake-up.

Spectrum shows an image graphic of Ashton and Jon (even when the episode is pre-Ashton).

Anyway, Spectrum (just a few days ago) would show an image of Allison leaning over Anna,

but NOW they changed it to show an image of just Allison.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I didn't miss Christie at all. I enjoyed the episode and the way it bounced between silly and serious.

I missed her. I mean, I really liked Anna Faris and I hated seeing what the show did to her characters as the seasons progressed and the show revolved more and more around Bonnie every week. I think Faris is a talented comedic actress and she was really wasted here. I just think Chuck Lorre and/or CBS sees Allison Janney as the more prestigious star given all her Emmys and her recent Oscar. Clearly they think she's more of a draw.

Christy had long become the Alan Harper of Mom. Chuck Lorre thinks it's high-larious when a character is pathetic and shit on over and over again. That's what happened with Christy. I don't blame Anna Faris for baling.

That said, with Janney, Jaime Pressley, Mimi Kennedy, Beth Hall and Kristen Johnson, you have a strong enough ensemble to get along fine without Faris. Deliberately or not the show has been grooming us to not miss Christy for years now.

The title of the show doesn't make any sense now though.

• Useful 2
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I missed her. I mean, I really liked Anna Faris and I hated seeing what the show did to her characters as the seasons progressed and the show revolved more and more around Bonnie every week. I think Faris is a talented comedic actress and she was really wasted here. I just think Chuck Lorre and/or CBS sees Allison Janney as the more prestigious star given all her Emmys and her recent Oscar. Clearly they think she's more of a draw.

Christy had long become the Alan Harper of Mom. Chuck Lorre thinks it's high-larious when a character is pathetic and shit on over and over again. That's what happened with Christy. I don't blame Anna Faris for baling.

That said, with Janney, Jaime Pressley, Mimi Kennedy, Beth Hall and Kristen Johnson, you have a strong enough ensemble to get along fine without Faris. Deliberately or not the show has been grooming us to not miss Christy for years now.

The title of the show doesn't make any sense now though.

I have nothing against Anna Faris. She's a great actress. I agree with you; it's a shame what happened to her character. They stopped giving her good material to work with, and that's the writers' fault. Anna Faris could only work with what she was given, and if the material/writing is bad, she can't do that much with bad material. It started off as the Bonnie and Christie show, and it was great. Somewhere along the line they completely sidelined Christie and stopped giving the character good material. Instead, the other members of the ensemble got much better material to work with. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

Bonnie is a great character and AJ does an amazing job with her but I do miss Christy. There seems to be a sameness about the stories these days.

19 hours ago, qtpye said:

Yes, I appreciate that they wanted the character to leave on a high note but this was a bit much. What next...the government adds another person to the Supreme Court just so Christy can join?

That reminded me of the episode where Christy was applying to law schools and told Bonnie "Maybe I'll get on the Supreme Court. I hear they're letting alcoholics on now."

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I'm with Marjorie. Never Have I Ever has never made sense to me grammatically and I always tripped over it.

This was kind of a weird one for me in that I think they addressed Christy leaving probably as well as they could have under the circumstances but it still felt sort of off. Yet I can't think of a single episode in forever that it didn't feel almost like she was shoehorned into her own show because the writers couldn't think of anything else for her to do. The group dynamic minus Christy will probably settle out okay longterm. It just felt a little odd. The episode did remind how much I've come to enjoy a dialed back Tammy after initially just finding her to be way too much. Kristen Johnston was so understatedly good in that scene with the phone call.

Marjorie is of an age where things start to go wrong, even without all the wear and tear she put her body through. I don't want her entire story every week to be about her declining health either, but it feels realistic that she's preoccupied by it.

Superficial I know, but the hair or wig on Bonnie was doing her no favors. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
26 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

Marjorie is of an age where things start to go wrong, even without all the wear and tear she put her body through. I don't want her entire story every week to be about her declining health either, but it feels realistic that she's preoccupied by it.

Have they ever said how old Marjorie is supposed to be? I guessed her to be at least 10 years older than Bonnie. I know plenty of people in their 60s and 70s who have stents and various other health problems, and none of them were homeless heroin addicts at any point in time. I think it is in character for her to try to keep it all in and act out, too.

It would be interesting to see the ladies "work the steps" more. We've seem amends a few times, but there are 11 other steps.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, sleepysuzy said:

Have they ever said how old Marjorie is supposed to be?

She's referenced being a groupie of and possibly sleeping with Jimi Hendrix. Assuming that was when she was a teenager, she would be in her early to mid seventies. Pretty much Mimi Kennedy's actual age.

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

I'm with Marjorie. Never Have I Ever has never made sense to me grammatically and I always tripped over it.

This was kind of a weird one for me in that I think they addressed Christy leaving probably as well as they could have under the circumstances but it still felt sort of off. Yet I can't think of a single episode in forever that it didn't feel almost like she was shoehorned into her own show because the writers couldn't think of anything else for her to do. The group dynamic minus Christy will probably settle out okay longterm. It just felt a little odd. The episode did remind how much I've come to enjoy a dialed back Tammy after initially just finding her to be way too much. Kristen Johnston was so understatedly good in that scene with the phone call.

Superficial I know, but the hair or wig on Bonnie was doing her no favors. 

The wig on AJ is terrible because it doesn’t have bangs.  I don’t know why they changed it.

I may be one of the few but I missed Christy.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 11/5/2020 at 11:41 PM, Sigmagirl said:

Not sure I like how they keep throwing health scares at Marjorie. First she had cancer, now a heart thing. It seems manufactured. I’m pretty sure they’re not going to write out the character after just losing Christie, so it seems unnecessary "stuff." I’d rather see Marjorie meet a new man or get a new job and see more about Wendy, and about Jill and Andy.

Speaking as someone who is 65 myself, and Marjorie is the oldest of the group... at least by 7 years, as that is all Bonnie will cop to... 

It sort of is realistic that the oldest one has the most health issues. Wait til you get older, nearing 65, and over. You will find out.

It's called Old Age, and it's coming for you.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Am I the only one who thinks that Christy's character was more or less the same throughout the series? I think last season was probably the first one where she didn't feel like one of the stars, but that's because it's not her show anymore. It's everybody's show. The ensemble has been what this show has revolved around since......season four, I want to say. And every year since, it's gotten stronger. Even when Jill left for a couple episodes in season five, the show kept moving along. So, I don't know why everyone thinks that Christy's character has declined or it started to feel like she's not part of the show anymore.

I'm going to miss her, though. She was a piece of the group that can't be replaced, and there are certain things that happened in the episode that she would normally be a part of. Like when Bonnie and Marjorie were fighting, Christy would be the first one to scold Bonnie and go talk to Marjorie. Now that she's not there, the others have to take her role and you can see that they don't slip into it as naturally because they're not used to it. I'm sure they'll work things out, and the premiere was no different from an average episode of the show (which is important), but Christy's absence is going to affect the dynamic more than we think it is.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

Am I the only one who thinks that Christy's character was more or less the same throughout the series?

Christy was very childish throughout the series, but i think she made a lot of progress, too. In season one, she had just gotten sober, was sleeping with a married man who was a total loser, and didn't have anywhere near enough confidence to pursue law school. 

Anna Faris was relegated to supporting a few seasons in, and last season it was The Bonnie and Tammy Show, so I don't blame her for being disappointed. (But unless she had a really great reason for needing to leave the series, she should have just stuck it out for this season to finish her contract.)

I really hope that Marjorie will get her stent, and that will be the end of it. I think it's realistic for a woman her age to be a cancer survivor who needs a stent - even if she's never been an addict. But after her cancer, and then Victor's stroke, another season of Marjorie dealing with medical stuff would be depressing.

• Love 6

Christy got a better goodbye with short notice than Alex did on Grey’s Anatomy. Writers and Producers were put in a tough-no win spot for both. Yes, unrealistic for Christy to get a full ride scholarship to Georgetown more than halfway through law school, but better than dumping wife #2 to suddenly go back to wife #1. Does her full ride include housing? Books? Living expenses? DC is not cheap!

• Love 5
On 11/7/2020 at 2:09 PM, chitowngirl said:

Christy got a better goodbye with short notice than Alex did on Grey’s Anatomy. Writers and Producers were put in a tough-no win spot for both. Yes, unrealistic for Christy to get a full ride scholarship to Georgetown more than halfway through law school, but better than dumping wife #2 to suddenly go back to wife #1. Does her full ride include housing? Books? Living expenses? DC is not cheap!

But it is far away, which is all I care about. There is not reason to visit or even call. I am fine with this explanation. The people who like Chrissy can imagine she is living her best clean and sober life.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Love 2
On 11/5/2020 at 9:13 PM, Blakeston said:

Christy must have gotten one of Georgetown Law's many scholarships designated for students who are almost finished with their strip mall law schools! I get that they wanted to give her a nice send off, but that was a bit much. Well, nothing about their depiction of law school has been particularly accurate, so they might as well go out with a bang!

Here's my take on it: She didn't transfer law schools to finish her final year at Georgetown. She retook her LSAT, sent only her college transcript, after two years of strip mall law school and two internships knew how to write a killer admissions essay and applied to Georgetown as a first year student without acknowledging that she had already put in a couple of years at an unaccredited school. She will now have to do another 3 years before she can take the bar; however, since she is taking a lot of the classes for the second time, she should be able to get some pretty decent grades and impress people at Georgetown. 

• Useful 8
  • Love 6