Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E08: Dessert Week

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Just curious, how do you distinguish between a normal accent and an exaggerated accent?

For me, it’s when someone has no accent with any other word but that particular one - the SNL parody comes to mind.  

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Crs97 said:

For me, it’s when someone has no accent with any other word but that particular one - the SNL parody comes to mind.  

So someone like me would be exaggerating an accent when pronouncing words in our second (or first) language the way we were raised - the pronunciation that comes naturally - is exaggerating them. So we've got to deliberately mangle the word in order to not exaggerate it. Okay.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 12/18/2020 at 8:59 AM, Clanstarling said:

I'm bi-lingual, and grew up with a parent who was not from America. I will pronounce German words in her accent, not because I'm trying to be fancy - but because that's the way I learned the word, and that's my natural pronunciation.

Just curious, how do you distinguish between a normal accent and an exaggerated accent? I agree that pronunciations differ in cultures, but it seems to me that everyone is correct when it comes to their own regional pronunciation.

19 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

So someone like me would be exaggerating an accent when pronouncing words in our second (or first) language the way we were raised - the pronunciation that comes naturally - is exaggerating them. So we've got to deliberately mangle the word in order to not exaggerate it. Okay.

It's just mind boggling to me that people who are actually pronouncing words correctly as they are said in the word's language of origin are considered to be "exaggerating an accent" rather than "pronouncing it correctly." I think people who only speak one language have a hard time understanding what it's like to go back and forth between two languages, especially if you were raised bilingually (as opposed to learning a second language when you're older).

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It's just mind boggling to me that people who are actually pronouncing words correctly as they are said in the word's language of origin are considered to be "exaggerating an accent" rather than "pronouncing it correctly." I think people who only speak one language have a hard time understanding what it's like to go back and forth between two languages, especially if you were raised bilingually (as opposed to learning a second language when you're older).

Exactly.

I mean, there are people who DO condescendingly exaggerate the pronunciation of a foreign word - but that's not the same as just saying the word while conversing.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I mean, there are people who DO condescendingly exaggerate the pronunciation of a foreign word - but that's not the same as just saying the word while conversing.

Those are the people I was talking about and whom I side-eye.  I specifically referenced the SNL parody to make that point.

• Love 4