Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: There's No Place Like Home

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

If his grandmother had COVID and he was around her, he’d need to quarantine for at least two weeks.

Not in early February.  I was in Manhattan the weekend of February 24th.  Saw West Side Story on Broadway.  I've been quite serious about the protocols since mid-March, but in early February COVID was not just not a concern, it simply wasn't even a conversation.

I think the assumption it was COVID is a little premature and unfounded.

Edited by Lassus
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Lassus said:

True.  It's very possible the grandmother was ill with something else, and that condition simply worsened.   

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lassus said:

Not in early February.  I was in Manhattan the weekend of February 24th.  Saw West Side Story on Broadway.  I've been quite serious about the protocols since mid-March, but in early February COVID was not just not a concern, it simply wasn't even a conversation.

It may be indeed premature, but in early February where I live, COVID was a big concern.  There is speculation that the first documented patient in Washington state was not the first person in the US to have the disease.  NY got bad because of the population density, not because it was the first place in the nation where the disease emerged.  We don't know where Avery's grandmother lived - might be in that nursing home in Washington.

• Love 12
22 hours ago, SevenCostanza said:

I don't remember exactly which seasons he was on but I remember his friend in the gold underwear passing out on the toilet.

If it was the season with Caroline and Jen I blocked most of that season out.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, meep.meep said:

He was on Below Deck previously, not as primary, when the boat couldn't move because it was so blustery.  He was on BDM as primary with guests who were all gay guys.  They ate everything in sight and made the gay male stew, Josaiah, wear a gold speedo to serve them dinner.  And one of them passed out drunk on the toilet.

Ooooooh now I remember him. The Josiah season was my first time watching the show. I blocked out most of that season because of the whole Caroline debacle.

• Love 3
On 11/4/2020 at 6:26 PM, txhorns79 said:

Why was it he couldn't tend to his business and then come back?

Because it takes a few days to travel there and back just given flight availability, his grandmother was gravelly ill, not dead so that has no specific time table much less if the worst happens a few days for the funeral is added in. That’s multiple charters on this show. Even in regular yachting there is a good chance that position isn’t going to be held.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 11/4/2020 at 4:21 PM, heatherchandler said:

I understand wanting to have a 24-hour drunken, drug fueled party!  And although MARITIME LAW forbids it, I am sure (check with Malia), why not get super wasted when out to sea?  But why kill a goat??  Is that a thing to do?  Where do you get the poor animal?  I am so horrified.

I am horrified, too. It doesn’t seem to take much to drop the veneer of civilization and all the haaard stuff like empathy and decency, and view people, animals, and things as mere objects for your whim. And be enabled to do so by everyone wanting to be you or bask in your dingy orbit. Bah.

I was also glad to see Eddie back, and it’s probably because he was so good before he went so dumb, and everyone else is new. But I haven’t forgotten you CAN be dumb, Edster!

• Love 6

I only kind of half watched but I’m having a hard time warming up to the cast. Hopefully they’ll grow on me and it’s not a bout of BD/BDM fatigue since the last one ended only a week ago. I do appreciate how chill Captain Lee is compared to Sandy’s always in your face management style though. 
Eddie looks like he lost weight, (not that he needed to) so  maybe he’s not drinking, but he looks healthier to me overall. 
Avery seemed like he’d be a dud anyway, he comes across as not very bright. 

On 11/3/2020 at 2:27 AM, aghst said:

We’re they circling the yacht on the jet skis while some of them were in the water near the yacht?

so did they circle for deliberate reasons?

then you had newbie Shane taking it on himself to replace plastic straws with paper straws and doing yoga right in front of the bridge, in front of the captain.

Doesn’t seem like choices a person in a new job in a new industry would make.

So Eddie falls in the water, seems pissed.  Then in the “coming this season” montage, seems like more deckhands, maybe including Eddie, fall into the water.  Don’t recall anyone falling into the water on any of these BD shows, except of course Ashton.

was right between the yacht and a jet ski so he could have hit himself with something solid as he fell in.

I thought it looked like Eddie going in the water in all of the clips, hard to say for sure.  It was kind of comical,  he's off to a rough start with his crew.  

I kind of enjoyed the episode,  that one stew is soooooo slow, I could see her going.  The chef seems to be churning out good looking food.  We'll see if she lasts....

The dude with the paper straws is too much,  he'll be in Captain's bad side quick.

• Love 3
On 11/3/2020 at 10:21 AM, Jack Sampson said:

A few weeks on this show is 4 charters or more.  He'll need to be replaced before then.  If they bring back Rhylee, I'm out.

Lee went from getting drunk and passing out....er, I mean....falling in the shower and not being able to move to hugging everyone in one day.  On a boat where we all know maritime law forbids the use of any medication.  Especially one strong enough to work on rib pain

I think Capt. Lee sucked it up and allowed the guests to give him hugs as they boarded. He's an old salt and probably grit his teeth through the pain.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 4
On 11/3/2020 at 3:27 AM, aghst said:

then you had newbie Shane taking it on himself to replace plastic straws with paper straws and doing yoga right in front of the bridge, in front of the captain.

Doesn’t seem like choices a person in a new job in a new industry would make.

A guy that is like Shane would do it.  I really dislike it when people go and replace plastic straws with paper straws.  For one, they aren't doing anything about plastic waste, that is a problem that can't be solved on a pesonal level.  For two, straws are a very very small part of plastic waste.  For three, he doesn't know if people need plastic straws for sensory issues, disability or allergies and he puts them in a position of having to ask  which also puts them at risk for having to explain and they may not want to and shouldn't need to. He's so self assured and smug with this it's obvious he's done it before.  He seems oblivious to anything that doesn't involve his needs or wants.

And what was Izzy bitching about the lead stew for?  I can understand bitching about the guests.  But everything she did she did so goddamn slowly, it was like she was moving through molasses that existed in her mind only.  Even shaking the drink shaker she did so slowly I felt like strangling her out of frustration.  When she's rushing, she walks down the stairs at half the pace of others working when they aren't rushing.  She gave me anxiety with her slowness.  Haven't we had another stew that was super slow?  I think it was Jen whose spine was not flexible so her fake sexiness when making the bed just looked all awkward?  She was fired wasn't she? 

Edited by Eater of Worlds
  • Love 5

Shane’s yoga thing didn’t bother me. It was unclear if he was still on break or not, Captain Lee didn’t seem upset but who knows with editing. Him thinking it was okay to take a dip when he was the only deck crew on the boat and not asking anyone did.

• Love 1