Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E08: Double Elimination Night -- Use Your Vote!

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, anonymiss said:

Kaitlyn just seems joyless even when she smiles, perhaps because of the frozen upper face due to all the injections.

Kaitlyn has been waiting for this season since 2015.  Bachelorette speculation is that since she posted a Snapchat that basically spoiled her season as lead by showing who she picked, ABC has been "punishing" her since by not letting her on DWTS, something she made crystal clear she wanted from the beginning.  Now she's far enough in show history that only show fans remember her, so it doesn't make a difference.  But her attitude has always been that she would walk away with the Mirrorball, no contest.  

Tyra is exhibiting the patented chubby girl upper arm stance.  Always try to keep them bent at 90 degree angles, or cover them.  Off-the-shoulder looks are fine, but NEVER wear the separate sleeves.  Looks like she's wearing giant water wings.  So very, very bad.  And every week her hair looks more shredded and beaten.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I haven’t read the comments so not sure if I’m repeating anyone but , can Nelly go home ? Not only is he the worst of the bunch and barely has to move in his dances , but he looks SO miserable being there . Whenever Tyra says he’s safe from being eliminated , he looks so mad about it . I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone in the competition with less joy and more obvious that he doesn’t want to be there . 

Also , Carrie Ann REALLY hates Kaitlyn . I don’t know if she’s anti - bachelorette , but she’s brutal to both her and Hannah 

Someone else felt the same as you about Nelly.  But I guess I just don't see the issue with him.  He isn't at all like previous contestants that were obvious problems.  I have loved some of his dances, and I think he really does a decent job on most styles.  He doesn't hold back no matter what the style, and I like what he brings to the dances.  I mean, I think there are several "ringers" on the show that aren't really doing as great as they should so he fits in fine as the average dancer person.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, OnTime said:

Justina has been the one to watch for a while.

She is so enjoyable!

Justina is what this show should be all about!!! I'm voting for her.

She deserves to win!!!

Yes, Justina has been my favorite since week one because of the joy that she brings to dancing.  I hope that she and Sasha win. 

• Love 9

So sorry about Jeannie!

My top pick is Justina now. She's fun, dedicated, makes me smile... and she's REAL. She's also a better dancer than most, naturally... and given her pro, Sasha, is one cool dude and one of the best at showcasing his star, I'm team Jusha! Or Sashtina!

Also enjoying the other dancers... but Justina and Sasha rise to the top for me.

Tyra continues to irritate, whether strutting Big Bird or being a weepy mess-up over Jeannie's surgery. Her emotional phoniness is even more exaggerated than CA's! I see her "trying"... unfortunately, she's simply trying on my nerves. I wish she'd just tuck her feathers/tulle/stupid extensions and exit stage right. And take the confetti with her.

WORST DECISION EVER TO FIRE TOM B. Shame on you, abc. You deserve to experience Tyra's blooper, when she referred to the "final season" last night instead of the finale. Talk about foreshadowing - I hope for my sake (and my love of dancing) that there's a miracle in store for DWTS's survival.

• Love 7

Oh, and buh-bye Gleb. You may be eye candy, but your choreography is squeamish. Why didn't you use a love-seat instead of a bed, FFS? Sleazy move.

Derek's critique made me giggle... "are they going to do it?!!!..." because, yes, that's what Gleb's choreo is all about.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Gutted about Jeannie. She was my favorite, along with AJ. Brandon is such a great guy and a smart choreographer, I hope he soon gets a contender who can go the distance. 

Not loving Kaitlyn and I never liked her as Bachelorette, but I want Artem to make the finals.

Nev and Jenna are grossly overscored. So is Shai, but I love Alan, so it doesn't grate as much.

Nelly must have a huge fanbase. He is the weakest link left. That said I've liked him for 20 years and he seems like a genuinely sweet guy, so I don't mind him sticking around. But... he looks bored and over it. 

Still want Johnny Weir in the finals. He always entertains me.

I couldn't stand Derek as a pro but I love him as a judge. I think that's the correct side of the table for him. Carrie Ann is kind of an ass to female contestants and I'm ready for her to get the boot. I'd suffer through Julianne if it meant no Carrie Ann. 

Tyra, and her dress, are much too much.

• Love 4

I am all about Nev. No one talks about him but he is terrific and I hope he wins. Simple as that.

Last week the camera was bouncing on the different couples, landed on Daniella & Nelly, his head was down like he was looking at his phone. He's on DWTS, this is 2 hours out of the week to be seen on TV and he's not even paying attention.

• Love 4

Hello, Chrishell had a CLEAR lift in HER dance (when she jumped into Gleb's arms from the ground and her feet weren't on the ground for a second) and not a peep...though I'm not sure if Chrishell's dance allowed a lift.

A jump isn't a lift. Anything the dancer can do through their own power is fine. They can also use their partner to spring off of or for balance assistance, but their partner can't raise or hold them. That's come up sometime... I remember one of the gymnasts doing a leap while holding her partner and being challenged on whether it was a lift or not. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Tyra and her outfits need to be voted off ASAP. Especially that first one - gah!

Carrie Ann tends to be hypercritical to female celebs that were/are paired with her exes. Apparently it was like this with Tony and now it is the case with Artem. 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

A jump isn't a lift. Anything the dancer can do through their own power is fine. They can also use their partner to spring off of or for balance assistance, but their partner can't raise or hold them. That's come up sometime... I remember one of the gymnasts doing a leap while holding her partner and being challenged on whether it was a lift or not. 

Here's the thing about your post: I do agree that it's not a lift. However, Carrie Ann's definition of a lift is when both feet leave the ground with assistance from their partner. That's exactly what happened with Chrishell; both feet left the ground with assistance from Gleb. She wouldn't have been able to throw herself up from the ground without his assistance. So, with CAI choosing technicalities as the Lift Police, I am also pointed out that technicality with Chrishell. 

Also, didn't CA dismiss a lift from Chrishell last week for her Paso when Gleb literally lifted her from the top of the stairs to the main floor? CA picks and chooses when to dock points. I get it's her perogative but she has just continously shown some sort of bias and that needs to be called out. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Bliss said:

Oh, and buh-bye Gleb. You may be eye candy, but your choreography is squeamish. Why didn't you use a love-seat instead of a bed, FFS? Sleazy move.

I thought the season was going really well without beds, until last night!

• LOL 5

Finally watched - I've been pouting about losing my eye candy Gleb, but she really was bad. The worst, I guess - such an awkward mover and those feet. Maybe those who blame Gleb are right - I'm not good at judging these things. I 'think' what happened was he was on DWTS with Derek, who made mini-spectacles of his dances sometimes, and also hid his partner's flaws. I remember a dance Derek did with Maria Menounos - I think she was injured? He LITERALLY carried her through the whole thing... BUT, Derek did his smoke and mirrors very very cleverly, and Gleb isn't that talented. But I do think Gleb thinks the whole point is a "sleight of hand" or sham of a dance - and he's sorta right (think of all the women dancing around their partners like a pole dancer.)

Oh I need to shut up. He may suck but he's pretty. And I loved their good-natured smiles at the end and his little kick towards the audience. And I'm glad the judges didn't stitch them up - if anything, it looked like they were trying to dump Nelly. Who didn't bother me as much as usual - I think he just has an awkward personality, which I can relate to, so ok, that's who he is. He's not gonna smile glibly when he's nervous or bored or miserable lol. And he did try with the rumba, with floaty arms (more or less). He's the worst left but he was trying - he's not a Master P.

Can't relate to Kaitlyn - reminds me of Eeyore. But speaking of cartoonish characters - Johnny! I'm watching because he's on, but those high water pants, sleeveless suit jacket, stupid poofy hair -- I swear, with both dances, I felt like I was watching an old episode of the Marx Brothers or the Three Stooges, where's he's the kook of the bunch. I do not understand his need to look like a clown. Oh well, he's better than Chrishell or Nelly for sure - and also AJ who I find to be too choppy/jerky and his nervousness makes me nervous.

And would Nev please put that hairy chest away? I keep expecting them to show him on a beach, wearing a mankini like Borat. Do y'all find him to be a heart-throb? I know these things can be subjective.

I'm trying to not natter on and on... but I have to say that Tyra has actually grown on me. And I know that's hypocritical after calling Johnny clownish, but she was a model, which is a silly profession, so just go with it honey -- do it for the big girls!! She's better than I expected anyway -- I never saw her in anything else - thought she'd be all ego but, eh, she's ok. Of course Tom was better, but it is what it is. I'm resigned. (and glad Bruno's still there because it feels like a new show, but that's ok with me)

Edited by Morrigan
  • Love 3

The way he spoke up during the judges and comments and then to the media afterwards, I honestly don't think I've ever seen Artem so angry on the show. He was trying to explain his opinion on why CAI was judging Kaitlyn the way she was, but you could just tell that he was holding back what he really wanted to say and was burning up inside. I feel like he's starting to feel the pressure, as he knows this is almost certainly his one and only chance to make it to the end on this show and CAI's comments/docking points could well be the reason he doesn't make it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I meant to say, too, regarding Nelly last night, the song he danced to, "Nobody Knows", was a good one. I remember hearing it on the radio a lot as a kid, and I've always liked it :).

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

And since the package was all about his sister's death. Although, DWTS has been that crass in the past, so you never know. 

Seriously, does Tyra NOT look in a mirror at her dress fittings? She never questioned the horrible first yellow dress that was so damn wide, it made her look like taxi? Her arms looked horrible. And the second neon monstrosity was almost just as bad. 

It's no accident that all of the dresses are horrible. They are horrible so that we talk on social media and she probably has a clause in her contract for extra money to be criticized for her clothes. Really there's no other explanation no production could be that incompetent.Given that a lot of the dancers are reasonably good and there aren't any trainwrecks Tyra needs to be the train rack for people to go on the media and complain and talk and argue about the show to get the show some traction.

4 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

I am all about Nev. No one talks about him but he is terrific and I hope he wins. Simple as that.

Me too.  When people talk about Nev, they exaggerates his training, which consists of community dance classes and one semester in college as a dance major. I know in my first semester freshman year I didn't have four classes in my major.  But he really loves to go to the ballet and other dance performances have giving him a keen eye and it's clear he loves to dance. Nobody talks about Justina's performance high school and I don't have a problem with that just know that she had some lower level training as well. And  of course the bachelorette who danced all of her life, and his mother was either a professional or a dance teacher but I think she was a dance teacher. So what?  I want to be entertained and if people love Justina and identify with her that's great. I just watching Nev dance.  Can't wait till the semi finals when he saves all of his hair off or we are treated to him going to get his hair ripped out of its roots with the waxer. You know it's gonna happen.

Edited by Kira53
I don't remember to proofread.
  • Love 2

However, Carrie Ann's definition of a lift is when both feet leave the ground with assistance from their partner. That's exactly what happened with Chrishell; both feet left the ground with assistance from Gleb. She wouldn't have been able to throw herself up from the ground without his assistance.

I don't watch judge's comments, so I don't know what Carrie-Ann had said this season. But how they've always defined it is that the partner can't assist with the upward momentum of the jump or leap. The partner can assist with redirecting or with serving as a stable surface for the dancer to jump or leap off of. 

I rewatched the Chrishell VW in as slow motion as I could, and I don't think Gleb assisted with the jump. It is hard to say 100%, especially because I'm not familiar with that particular move. 

when Gleb literally lifted her from the top of the stairs to the main floor?[/quote]

This one looked dodgy AF to me. I think the claim would be she jumped down and he redirected her, but it sure looked like he supplied upward force.

Edited by Zuleikha
11 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Based on Skai and her mother's behavior on Instagram this week I wouldn't be surprised if she is eliminated next week and/or plummets in votes.

Details, please!

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Jsage said:

Details, please!

Skai (or whoever runs Skai's account, I know she's a Disney kid but she's technically an adult so I don't know if she does it or not) and her mother are commenting all over the DWTS Instagram and/or commenting/replying to people. Highlights include Skai's mother talking about how the judges are underscoring Skai because she has a bigger YT fanbase than everybody else and that AJ/Nelly were popular 20+ years ago and don't have as much of a fanbase now, implying Skai has a bigger one. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

The only celebrities I'm familiar with are Kaitlyn and Nev because I watch those shows, and Nelly and A.J. as singers. I like Nev because his persona on Catfish is really kind and understanding. I think he's doing a great job here, and I don't think his dance experience is professional in any way. I dislike Kaitlyn from her Bachelorette days, and I recall on that show she'd said she'd hoped to have been a professional dancer. I do think she's doing well here, but I just dislike her. I think Nelly is improving., but he always looks so pissed when he doesn't score as well as others. 

I'm unfamiliar with Jeannie but was enjoying her here. Obviously we live in the 21st century, but epiglottitis is what killed George Washington. When his throat swelled up the doctors did their usual bleeding, etc. and he suffocated to death. It is serious and thankfully Jeanie will be okay. 

Back to waiting for election results. 

• Love 1

I guess I'm the only one who really liked Tyra's first dress. I've been seeing some poofy tulle dresses showing up here and there lately (usually short). It could have used more cinching in the middle to show off the extreme proportions of it but the yellow looked fantastic on her and I loved the drama of it. I did think that it would have been more appropriate on Disney night because it immediately reminded me of Belle's yellow ball gown but it was still fun. The second one was oddly fitted on the bottom but that first one? I wish she had worn that the entire night. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

But how they've always defined it is that the partner can't assist with the upward momentum of the jump or leap. The partner can assist with redirecting or with serving as a stable surface for the dancer to jump or leap off of. 

This is going to date me here but ...

except when it doesn't. Waay back in season two or three Cameron Mathison served as basically a table for Edyta to do a handstand on. Carrie Ann called it a lift. The same "lift" happened again a season or two later (with Edyta or Cheryl? I can't remember).

If we're calling an assisted back tuck a lift (but not an unassisted back tuck), by the same argument any time a dancer is dragged across the floor should also be a lift. Sure, their feet never leave the floor, but it's not something that one could accomplish under one's own power. 

Point is, Carrie Ann is horribly inconsistent with what even she defines as a lift. It's been argued by tptb that the lift rule is in place to protect the dancers from injury ... except In the dancers that allow more dangerous lifts. 🙄🙄

• Love 4

I love Justina! She is the epitome of grace and I love that she is just having so much fun.

Skai may appear child-like, but she’s an adult. She can’t help her size. I do think Alan takes advantage of the fact that she can easily do lifts by including them so frequently, but I hope he gets more creative with his choreography.

I enjoy watching Nelly. Is he the most skilled dancer? No. But he is charismatic and clearly improving. I like watching him as much as I do Justina.

I’m glad Artem is being vocal about Carrie Ann’s critiques. I know it’s been mentioned that they dated in the past, but I don’t think that’s what’s playing out here. She seems to really dislike Bachelorette contestants for some reason.

• Love 3

Waay back in season two or three Cameron Mathison served as basically a table for Edyta to do a handstand on. Carrie Ann called it a lift.

He lifted her in the dance you linked. I frame-by-framed it. He may not have been supposed to, but he did. His arms go from bent to straight during the move which provided upward lift at her hips. She has to provide all of the upwardness through her own power for it to not be a lift.

An unassisted back tuck is not a lift because there's no assistance on the upward from the partner. An assisted back tuck wouldn't necessarily be a lift--because the partner could just be redirecting the horizontal force--but it's a pretty risky thing to try. It's so easy for a partner to end up lifting instead of simply redirecting. 

A drag is not a lift by any definition. The upward force and both feet being off the ground are the key factors. DwtS centers on partner dance. The follow doesn't do anything under her own power.

Carrie Ann doesn't always call lifts perfectly. Given the physical prowess of the pros and some of the competitors, it's not always clear what's done under their own power and what's boosted by the partner. Carrie Ann has also occasionally let them slide or missed them. But the definition has been consistent. 

I believe the lift rule is in place to echo Dancesport competition rules, which is why lifts are allowed in the non-Dancesport dances. I like it, though. It keeps the dances from being all about the lifts (and I say that as a person who loves lifts).

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I'm not saying the definition of a lift as set forth by the show is inconsistent but that Carrie Ann's enforcement definitely is. Especially when she sees the same movement twice and one is called a lift and one is not. 

I would argue that the Cameron/Edyta example was not a lift simply because his arms straighten. His arms would have to based on where her hips start and end in relation to his body and he doesn't seem to bear any of her weight. And if he did-but-didn't-mean-it, then we're back to the Kaitlyn scenario: can you do it by yourself? If yes, then by Carrie Ann's count, not a lift. 

The comment about a drag being a lift was facetious only because it has been explained on the show by Carrie Ann herself as a move that cannot be done under one's own power. 

My point ultimately is not what does or does not define a lift. It's that Carrie Ann often uses it as an excuse to nitpick and it's frustrating because she's not consistent with what she does, what she says, or what she is supposed to do.

• Love 5

I don’t get how the show let Tom go who everybody loved , but kept Bruno and Carrie Ann , who no one seems to care for especially Carrie Ann.  Surely they could find better judges and ones that don’t take their entire judging time to giggle obnoxiously (CA) or stumble over words and make such dramatic statements without getting to the point  ( Bruno .) I like Derek and like the idea of past pro dancers judging . They have a lot of experience and I think would add more value to the comments . 

• Love 4
On 11/3/2020 at 1:44 PM, madpsych78 said:

Tyra and her outfits need to be voted off ASAP. Especially that first one - gah!

Carrie Ann tends to be hypercritical to female celebs that were/are paired with her exes. Apparently it was like this with Tony and now it is the case with Artem. 

Carrie Ann & Artem were an item once but it was way back when. He has been on DWTS for many seasons now, and is parents with his former partner Nikki Bella with their baby. 

Tony Dovolani & Carrie Ann were never involved. Their animosity began when Tony was partnered with Jane Seymout and he got mad at a critique and gave Carrie Ann a book on ballroom dance, saying she never did it. She comes from a hip-hop background. 

I am sick of the sniping about lifts, I wish the producers would tell her to bag it.

Edited by TVMovieBuff
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

Daniella explained that this was a tough week for Nelly because the song had an emotional connection to his sister. He struggled having to dance to it all week in practice. And then, it was probably tough to dance to the song, dedicate the dance to his sister and then have the judges not like it as much as other dances that were less meaningful to him. I remember when Nelly released his song "Just a Dream", which I believe was a tribute to his sister as they were very very close. I imagine he's hard on himself when he doesn't do well and the sentimental value/devastating backstory of this week made that even worse. Daniella and Nelly post on social media all the time and have a blast together. I kind of wish people would stop policing his facial expressions. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 11

Knocking off a point for a lift is as bad as knocking off points for bad choreography. The celebrity shouldn't be held responsible for their pro putting in moves that aren't allowed or don't fit the style. I bet if the pros got fined like pro athletes do, they'd straighten up really fast.

• Love 4
On 11/3/2020 at 1:06 PM, TVMovieBuff said:

Last week the camera was bouncing on the different couples, landed on Daniella & Nelly, his head was down like he was looking at his phone. He's on DWTS, this is 2 hours out of the week to be seen on TV and he's not even paying attention.

On one of the first episodes they were all on their phones then the next show no one was. I was thinking they got “scolded. LOL. Noticed Nelly also checking his watch during scoring. I love him though. 

• Love 3
On 11/2/2020 at 7:33 PM, LexieLily said:

Weren't Carrie-Ann and Artem an item like a long time ago?

yesyou have a good memory carrie and artem met on SUTYCD  (so you think you can dance)  they were together for 3 years and then broke up

On 11/3/2020 at 11:29 AM, Morrigan said:

Finally watched - I've been pouting about losing my eye candy Gleb, but she really was bad. The worst, I guess - such an awkward mover and those feet. Maybe those who blame Gleb are right - I'm not good at judging these things. I 'think' what happened was he was on DWTS with Derek, who made mini-spectacles of his dances sometimes, and also hid his partner's flaws. I remember a dance Derek did with Maria Menounos - I think she was injured? He LITERALLY carried her through the whole thing... BUT, Derek did his smoke and mirrors very very cleverly, and Gleb isn't that talented. But I do think Gleb thinks the whole point is a "sleight of hand" or sham of a dance - and he's sorta right (think of all the women dancing around their partners like a pole dancer.)

Oh I need to shut up. He may suck but he's pretty. And I loved their good-natured smiles at the end and his little kick towards the audience. And I'm glad the judges didn't stitch them up - if anything, it looked like they were trying to dump Nelly. Who didn't bother me as much as usual - I think he just has an awkward personality, which I can relate to, so ok, that's who he is. He's not gonna smile glibly when he's nervous or bored or miserable lol. And he did try with the rumba, with floaty arms (more or less). He's the worst left but he was trying - he's not a Master P.

Can't relate to Kaitlyn - reminds me of Eeyore. But speaking of cartoonish characters - Johnny! I'm watching because he's on, but those high water pants, sleeveless suit jacket, stupid poofy hair -- I swear, with both dances, I felt like I was watching an old episode of the Marx Brothers or the Three Stooges, where's he's the kook of the bunch. I do not understand his need to look like a clown. Oh well, he's better than Chrishell or Nelly for sure - and also AJ who I find to be too choppy/jerky and his nervousness makes me nervous.

And would Nev please put that hairy chest away? I keep expecting them to show him on a beach, wearing a mankini like Borat. Do y'all find him to be a heart-throb? I know these things can be subjective.

I'm trying to not natter on and on... but I have to say that Tyra has actually grown on me. And I know that's hypocritical after calling Johnny clownish, but she was a model, which is a silly profession, so just go with it honey -- do it for the big girls!! She's better than I expected anyway -- I never saw her in anything else - thought she'd be all ego but, eh, she's ok. Of course Tom was better, but it is what it is. I'm resigned. (and glad Bruno's still there because it feels like a new show, but that's ok with me)

maria broke a couple of ribs  that must have been the time you are talking about...for a second I thought you were talking about the lady with the 2 artificial legs that was paired with derrick

17 hours ago, Jsage said:

I don't blame Kaitlyn and Artem for their comments as I think they're justified. It seems obvious that CA is "picking" on them. She's complaining about being bullied? Maybe she should look in the mirror and ask why she's attracting exactly what she's giving out.

To say I dislike CA would be a stretch - she's more of a 'meh' to me. Sometimes, she makes me laugh. e.g., I keep waiting for her to fall off her chair again.

• Love 3
On 11/2/2020 at 10:21 PM, PBGamer89 said:

He's easily the worst dancer left.

And he's clearly over it all. He was looking off into the distance and not listening to Carrie Anne's critique, so much so that she just stopped talking and finished with a "whatever, I'm done" arm wave.  He looks pissed when he's called safe. He looks like he wants OUT. 

Here is something I dislike about Carrie Ann's critiques. Derek and Bruno will tell the celeb specifically what they are doing wrong and what to do to fix it. 

e.g. "keep your shoulders down because it throws off your posture. Bend your knees so you get a bounce on the Samba. Don't lean over or your butt will stick out." 

Carrie ann says stuff like. "there is some reason you aren't doing it for me, but I can't figure out what it is." not helpful!

"we want to see your passion. Relax and enjoy the dance. Have fun.
Too esoteric .

• Love 6

AJ, I love you.  I wish you the best in your sobriety and love that you found a platonic soul mate in Cheryl.  However, it's midway through the competition.  That was not a rumba. 

I'm hoping AJ has some good dances left. His samba really showed his dance talent. 

I agree that Justina is a joy to watch. Nev still reminds me of the kid at summer dance camp that tries too hard. And it looked like Nelly was barely holding it together throughout the night. 

Quick Nelly story - I've heard a few people remark about his dazzling smile. Many years ago I took my then teenage daughters to some kind of teen award show in LA. We had fairly good seats. The whole theater was dark and they were making some kind of announcement and I look down and see this guy crouched next to me - he turns his head and it's Nelly with the biggest grin on (he had a gold tooth in the front at that time - he and the St. Lunatics were going to run from the audience onto the stage for a performance).  

• Love 4
On 11/2/2020 at 7:13 PM, mtlchick said:

AJ, I love you.  I wish you the best in your sobriety and love that you found a platonic soul mate in Cheryl.  However, it's midway through the competition.  That was not a rumba. 

And yet, he STILL had more dance content than Gleb and Crishell! I seriously could not believe that was a Viennese Waltz! On what planet?!? It looked more like a contemporary routine. Good riddance, and I really hope that is the last time time I have to see sleazy Gleb, but knowing this show, probably not....

I cannot believe Tyra accidentally said it was the last season! Foreshadowing, or what? Her crying over Jeannie, good lord...........

I am rooting for Nev, Justina and Johnny, and AJ.

• Love 3
On 11/5/2020 at 1:21 PM, TVMovieBuff said:

Here is something I dislike about Carrie Ann's critiques. Derek and Bruno will tell the celeb specifically what they are doing wrong and what to do to fix it. 

e.g. "keep your shoulders down because it throws off your posture. Bend your knees so you get a bounce on the Samba. Don't lean over or your butt will stick out." 

Carrie ann says stuff like. "there is some reason you aren't doing it for me, but I can't figure out what it is." not helpful!

"we want to see your passion. Relax and enjoy the dance. Have fun.
Too esoteric .

This is true and yet, I agree with CAI.  Part of the problem is knowing Nev, Kaitlyn, and Johnny's backgrounds, the judges will have higher expectations for them.  The audience will too.  For example, Nev's frame really bothers me.

For Kaitlyn, for somebody that was supposedly trying to be a professional ballet dancer, I can see why she never made it.  She doesn't have good lines, extensions, etc.  As to what CAI is talking about, Kaitlyn always seems to play it safe.  She doesn't dance with fire like Justina or Jeannie.  I agree with whoever said that it looks like she's thinking too much.  Unfortunately, CAI's criticisms are not helping.  At some point, CAI needs to back off so that Kaitlyn can just enjoy herself.

As to Johnny, he's done great standard ballroom and the Jive.  He has beautiful upper body movement and lines.  I want to see him conquer a fast Latin dance with hip movement.  I do like his partnership with Britt friend wise.  But I think he would have done better with Daniella and let Britt dance with Nelly.  This is just to learn more proper technique since he has more potential than Nelly.  The latter has a nice smooth groove but it just seems like he just stands in one place most of the time.

• Love 2
On 11/3/2020 at 6:09 AM, ams1001 said:

It especially bugged me because she first asked if she was able to do the flip on her own. Why should that matter? He was "helping" whether she needed him to or not; It either counts as a lift or it doesn't.

The difference is this: my sister is a gymnast. She used to be able to do a standing back tuck, which is not considered a lift. I am not a gymnast but I was able to do the trick that Kaitlyn and Artem did aka assisted with a partner. My entire choir learned to do it in high school.

In order to do a back tuck, you need to be able to get enough height to do an entire rotation so that you can get your feet on the ground to land. If you don't get high enough off the ground, you won't have enough time to complete the rotation and you will land on your face. That requires very strong quads to get the necessary push off the ground (which is why it's easier for guys to do a back tuck).

But to do the trick that Kaitlyn and Artem did, you don't need to worry about getting high enough because the other person's arm/shoulder keep you at a certain height above the ground. That's why Carrie asked if Kaitlyn could do it on her own. Without assistance, what she did would NOT be considered a lift.

It's similar to a celeb in a past season who did a split leap (maybe Nastia Liukin?). She was completely capable of doing it on her own but she had her partner's hands on her when she did it. There are other people who have done a similar move but were clearly relying on their partner to actually pick them up and hoist them in the air.

To be honest, I am not a huge fan of the way they define a lift on this show as both feet leaving the ground, but I understand that they need a way to set the ground rules in a way that's easy for the audience to understand.

But I agree that in general, the judges aren't very consistent about penalizing lifts versus overlooking them.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
On 11/2/2020 at 8:58 PM, OnTime said:

Derek, Kaitlyn's dance was not a 9.  I've said that before.  Why did she get to dance in sneakers?  

I Think Kaitlyn Had Been Injured Earlier I Think With An Ankle Injury So Maybe That Was Still Giving Her Some Trouble !

On 11/2/2020 at 9:03 PM, LexieLily said:

The top of Tyra's first dress looked like dry, uncooked pasta.

I don't ever remember seeing Cheryl as emotional post-dance as she was tonight.

I thought the entire point of the relay dance was to rank the couples and award them either one, two, or three points, so I was confused why Carrie-Ann gave two couples in her group two points. Maybe the one point option was taken out once the Jeannie group lost a member?

I Think Cheryl Was Upset About Jeannie ! Then, Her Substance Issues Probably Got Her Upset !

On 11/2/2020 at 9:05 PM, TiredMe said:

Tyra tearing up about Jeannie....Tyra! This👏🏻Is👏🏻Not👏🏻About👏🏻You👏🏻

i think Nelly was bummed he was staying. Lol 

Nev first dance was very overscored. I thought he looked like a damn robot. 

you can definitely tell who the judges favs are. 

I Think Every Body Was Upset About Jeannie And I Got Upset About Jeannie So I Think IT Was Okay For Tyra To Be Upset About Jeannie !

On 11/2/2020 at 9:22 PM, alexa said:

I find it interesting they rush through the intros for the dancers at the beginning and then we have this long drawn out intro for Tyra. She is just the host, not the star of the show.  The judges are ignored and required to clap through her entry.  And all hosts should change outfits for a show that has nothing to do with that...so weird.

I don’t think so at all.  He has had some great dances.  I guess we see it differently.

Tyra Is Also The Producer OF Dancing With The Stars ! NO, Erin Never Changed Her Outfit !

On 11/2/2020 at 9:28 PM, scenicbyway said:

Is Tyra really choosing her outfits? Fluorescent green looks good on no one. Is she self conscious and just choosing huge outfits? Does wardrobe hate her?

What is Carrie Ann’s deal with Kaitlyn? Is she jealous of her being Bachelorette 100 years ago? Wanting to purposely mark her down for an imagined lift was ridiculous.  She’s already torn her down mentally.  Derek has to come in with a 9 because it looked like Carrie Ann was going to throw her a 7.

Nelly is not improving but his partner hides it better than Glen did with Chrishell.

Skai needs to go next, she doesn’t dance. Alan just throws in crazy lifts everywhere because she’s tiny.

Johnny has actually improved which is nice to see.

Tyra’s reaction to Jeannie was crazy for live tv. It was life threatening which they didn’t mention but the surgery was successful.  

I Think Kaitlyn Had Jive ! You CAN Do Lifts In Jive ! I Think IF Jeannie had Trouble, That Would be Different ! How Ever,The Surgery WAS Successful So I Think Tyra Handled Her Coverage Just Fine !

On 11/2/2020 at 9:33 PM, LexieLily said:

Weren't Carrie-Ann and Artem an item like a long time ago?

Carrie Ann Does Not Resent Other Contestants That Artem Gets ! There Fore, I Don't Think That IS IT !