Type keyword(s) to search

MTV Video Music Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Since I am late to the party, my thoughts on the performances, which is the only reason I watch:

-Taylor Swift was good, but I'm not a fan the single Lover.  It feels....not fresh.  But not gonna lie, you need to come down is fun song.  

But NOT liking the computer graphics during her (and others' performances).  

Mizzy Elliot is pretty damn great.

So Camilla and Shawn are dating?  Looks more like a "let's promote our duet" more than anything else.

Miley....not buying her heartbreak.  But it did seem like she was actually singing live.  At least I hope she was.

I've never heard to Rosalia, but I liked her. 

Normani is also pretty awesome.  She's definitely channeling Lenny Kravtiz!

-Are the Jonas Brothers really all that and a bag of chips?  The song is catchy but...Also, how did they get from their live show to accept their award?

• Love 1

How does MTV even have Video Music Awards since it never plays music videos anymore?! (I remember the very first VMAs in 1984 when Dan Aykroyd and Bette Midler hosted, and Madonna writhed all over the stage in a wedding gown while belting out "Like A Virgin"! I was 12.)

Yeah, I'm old.

• Love 8

Aaaand It’s the annual check in to see how out of touch I am measured by how many of the artists I’ve never heard of. 

I will give credit that the show is usually pretty creative in its performances.  Solving the riddle of an awards show during Covid it’ll set the tone. Good so far. 

• Love 1

I just turned in to see what was happening (once I found the MTV station it was on which I didn't even know existed) and I'm confused. Lady Gaga is accepting her award, & I can see how they're doing things because it's supposed to be virtual, but it look like the audience is actually hanging out on the rooftops, standing together in a bunch. How is this "virtual"? I don't understand the point.

17 minutes ago, GaT said:

I just turned in to see what was happening (once I found the MTV station it was on which I didn't even know existed) and I'm confused. Lady Gaga is accepting her award, & I can see how they're doing things because it's supposed to be virtual, but it look like the audience is actually hanging out on the rooftops, standing together in a bunch. How is this "virtual"? I don't understand the point.

I think the audience is fake. Like CGI fake. One performance they had in a mock drive in, and I think those were real people in the cars but they could’ve been fake too. 

Found a link

https://pitchfork.com/news/mtv-vmas-2020-watch-maluma-perform-hawai-at-a-drive-in/

maluma at the drive in was real but the “crowd” for Gaga was fake with canned audience noise.  

Edited by Refresh
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Refresh said:

I think the audience is fake. Like CGI fake. One performance they had in a mock drive in, and I think those were real people in the cars but they could’ve been fake too. 

Found a link

https://pitchfork.com/news/mtv-vmas-2020-watch-maluma-perform-hawai-at-a-drive-in/

maluma at the drive in was real but the “crowd” for Gaga was fake with canned audience noise.  

The show just started again, & the people are on the roof & don't look like CGI to me.

EDITED: I finished watching the whole show, waaay too much Lady Gaga, it seemed like she was half the show.

Edited by GaT

Double post….I guess no one is watching this year either! 😆

And where DOES one watch videos anyway? Not on any of the channels that apparently HAVE to show the awards….

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 2