Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: People of Earth

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Kromm said:

Do you think the issue of Stamets sexuality has been overemphasized or otherwise mishandled?  I can't see any other reason for that comparison

Probably just because Anthony Rapp, who plays Stamets, was in the original production of Rent (and then the movie), I imagine.

• Love 2
On 10/29/2020 at 6:33 PM, Affogato said:

In fairness Wesley was supposed to draw in and inspire young people and —as irritating as many found him—I’ve heard many attribute their careers in science to him. 

Wesley was the character Gene Roddenberry said represented him as a kid.

On 10/30/2020 at 7:47 PM, Maverick said:

Can they also go back to speaking in a normal cadence rather than An Evening With the Klingons:  With All Parts Read by William Shatner?    I'm watching season one and seriously this shit bugs.  

I put off watching this show after a few episodes of the first season because I couldn't stand the S L O W talking Klingons. I really had to power through!

On 10/31/2020 at 12:58 PM, Starchild said:

Re: Adira - I'm a little confused about why she has the Tal symbiont. The admiral (Senna) was supposed to have died 2 years after leaving Earth, but Tal is on Earth. So the symbiont must have been removed from Senna before he died and transferred to Adira, who would have been only 14 years old (assuming the transfer happened just before Senna left Earth). Why? Was Tal rejecting the symbiont? Was a 14-year-old human really the best available option? I guess we'll find out more next week, but right now I'm wondering about it. Or am I getting some of the details wrong?

There was a throwaway line about Adira & the Admiral having been on an outbound Earth vessel at the time of the transfer.

On 11/1/2020 at 2:05 AM, Kromm said:

So they've got a 1200 year old bridge, perfectly preserved?  It IS an eye roller. Especially since it's probably been 1000 years since anyone used a land vehicle in that city. 

There is a fully operational bridge in Turkey built in the 9th century BC, and plenty of partially preserved ones from almost 2000 BCE. Given that Starfleet HQ is in SF, it is perfectly plausible to me that the symbol of the city has been preserved. 

On 11/3/2020 at 4:37 PM, Kromm said:

Do you think the issue of Stamets sexuality has been overemphasized or otherwise mishandled?  I can't see any other reason for that comparison.

Stamets originated the role of Mark in Rent on Broadway, in the movie, and on the original cast recording. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, xtwheeler said:

There was a throwaway line about Adira & the Admiral having been on an outbound Earth vessel at the time of the transfer.

So somehow Adira came back to Earth after the transfer. Wondering how that happened when it was an outbound generational ship, not inclined to turn around.

• Useful 2
On 11/8/2020 at 6:03 PM, Starchild said:

So somehow Adira came back to Earth after the transfer. Wondering how that happened when it was an outbound generational ship, not inclined to turn around.

Given the idea of a generation ship, it would have to be traveling at sublight speeds.  It couldn't have gotten that far, and we were told that Earth has plenty of dilithium.  They'd have an easier time mounting a rescue mission than most planets.

I am really digging this season. Starfleet, and Discovery, stands for something. I am sure it is corny to some, but it feels like the ingredient that has been missing from all the recent Star Trek. Now we just need Pike to show up. 

Also, there is much less Michael worship by the rest of the crew, and the plot. That’s a good thing.

I don’t know why the teen was added. Don’t see an end game there unless the teen is nonbinary or they are trying to appeal to a younger demographic. That usually doesn’t end well. 

What’s up with Detmer? Does her implant tell her something the rest of us don’t know?

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1
On 11/3/2020 at 7:37 PM, Kromm said:
On 11/3/2020 at 6:23 PM, paigow said:

Tilly seems like a character dropped in from the "Whedonverse".  I keep waiting for Stamets to sing something from Rent

Do you think the issue of Stamets sexuality has been overemphasized or otherwise mishandled?  I can't see any other reason for that comparison.

As for Tilly, she's an interesting variant on a Mary Sue to me.  The classic ones are overly competent but also otherwise perfect.  I'd say Tilly is instead constructed to be socially awkward, but she doesn't face the real consequences of that.  She's magically competent around the edges of being a Dork.  For all the ways that Adira comes off as New Wesley Crusher, I suppose there's a good argument for Tilly being that instead.  Whether or not Next Gen INTENDED for Wesley to be such a Dork, it's the reality of how he manifested.  But they DID insist on him being super competent/special.  The same combination has been used for Tilly. 

I don't think the comparison is related to Stamets' sexuality at all. I'm not expecting the character to sing, but I immediately associated him with Rent when I saw the actor's name, and that association was emphasized in earlier episodes by the in-jokes about the opera La Boheme (which Rent was sort of based on). Also, the actor who plays Stamet's partner was also in Rent. So lots of associations related to the musical that would explain why @paigow might say that.

I agree with you about Tilly, Adira, and Wesley.