Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: Are You Done Yelling?

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

Ari/Bini - Was only half watching, but did a double take when Bini outed Ari as a cutter (after catching up to her in the van when she grabbed Avi and fled the hospital). I re-watched the conversation 3 times, and even turned on closed captioning the last time to make sure I heard him correctly. IIRC, not long after arriving in Ethiopia, she was wearing a top that showed her upper atms, which looked like they had scars on them, but I don't remember actually hearing it mentioned before. 

I was half-listening and completely missed that!  Thanks for the heads up!  I will go back and watch closely.

• Love 1

I just can’t any more with this bunch. Brittany is the worst person ever, I actually feel sorry for Yazan. (Side note, at least I learn a few things by watching - I always thought the “honor killing” thing with Muslims was only for the women.) I’m thinking that Yazan is ok though, if he had actually been murdered I think they wouldn’t be airing the B/Y story. But look at all that he has irretrievably lost because of their “relationship” while she’s probably back in the states by now happily living the worthless skank life.

i think Ari is probably impossible to deal with, hormones or not. Bini is a manchild but at least has developed some empathy and compassion for others while Ari is sadly lacking there. Also her rbf makes her look about 35.

Kenny and Armando, pretty much the only reason I watch, although a bit tedious.

Jenny and Sumit, was really pulling for them when their saga started, that went up and down (how many years has this dragged on?) but now just 🤮

Purposely leaving out Cheesestix and Mayleaveya 

So my new plan is to just watch Pillow Talk, which I NEVER get tired of.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Can someone refresh me?  Was she waiting for a mohel to do it on the 8th day?  I thought circumsion was a big deal in the Jewish faith?  But what concerned me more was her breezing on into in an OR - no gown, no mask, non washed hands, she could have startled the doctor!

Was she REALLY expecting her mom to fly to Ethiopia with a crib, supplies, car seat, everything?  She is 29, not 19.  

You have to remember, she isn’t Jewish in the traditional sense...they don’t have hell, so she decided to identify as Jewish like her dad rather than Christian like her mom, but I don’t get the impression she practices...excel for wearing a Star of David   

And, yes, she expected mom to schlep everything overseas to her.

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 3

8 HOURS AGO, SABINEELISABETH SAID:

Ari/Bini - Was only half watching, but did a double take when Bini outed Ari as a cutter (after catching up to her in the van when she grabbed Avi and fled the hospital). I re-watched the conversation 3 times, and even turned on closed captioning the last time to make sure I heard him correctly. IIRC, not long after arriving in Ethiopia, she was wearing a top that showed her upper atms, which looked like they had scars on them, but I don't remember actually hearing it mentioned before. 

I don't think Bini called Ari a cutter.  He asked her why did she stop the cutting, I thought that meant the circumcision.

Ari was totally disrespectful.  She was like, "I'm a white, American woman and what I say goes and fuck all of you brown folk.  This is MY baby and and my husband has nothing to do with him."    That's the vibe I get from her.  I also didn't like how she made fun of Bini's accent.  Princess Crap.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 16
15 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

Yazan's father threatened to kill him.  Literally. 

When I saw the previews, I figured this would be editing, and we'd realize that he meant figuratively.  As in, I'm so mad that my mom ruined my shirt in the wash, I'm gonna kill her.

But nope.  He meant literally.  Murder.  He used the word "murder".

Wow.

It’s called an honor killing and he is quite serious. I don’t condone such a thing, but it is what it is. That is their religion and their culture.   And considering that Britney is a grinning skank, (without a shred of decency, dignity, class or intelligence) that is playing this man, I feel really sorry for Yazan.  But then again, this is what happens when you think with your dick.

And speaking of people without a shred of decency, dignity, class or intelligence, Jenny is equally despicable, in my opinion, and I feel sorry  for Sumit’s parents for footing the bill for his divorce.  And to make Jenny even more unlikable, she’s acting like she’s the victim here!    

His father will never get his money back.  You tell him Papa Sumit!  

Edited by Kid
  • Love 14

I guess I need to thank Deavan.  I didn't know that tents in a park meant someone was giving away free meth (I'd think homeless people)

I also didn't know that naked selfies means you cheated, so thank you Deavan for educating me.

• LOL 10
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

You have to remember, she isn’t Jewish in the traditional sense...they don’t have hell, so she decided to identify as Jewish like her dad rather than Christian like her mom, but I don’t get the impression she practices...excel for wearing a Star of David   

So....(and forgive me, I am not trying to beat a dead horse) she does have the religious authority, so to speak, to request a mohel?

22 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Ari was totally disrespectful.  She was like, "I'm a white, American woman and what I say goes and fuck all of you brown folk.  This is MY baby and and my husband has nothing to do with him."    That's the vibe I get from her.  I also didn't like how she made fun of Bini's accent.  Princess Crap.

Agreed.

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, Kid said:

And speaking of people without a shred of decency, dignity, class or intelligence, Jenny is equally despicable, in my opinion, and I feel sorry  for Sumit’s parents for footing the bill for his divorce.  And to make Jenny even more unlikable, she’s acting like she’s the victim here!    

I'm pretty sure they're all counting on the 90DF paycheck to pay that debt, which, of course, they can't come out and say.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I don't think Bini called Ari a cutter.  He asked her why did she stop the cutting, I thought that meant the circumcision.

I agree with all of this - I feel when this was aired, she was still freaking out that shit just got real, she actually HAD TO BIRTH THIS CHILD and she was snapped out of her princess fairytale before she knew it.  I have zero ounces of sympathy for her, head in the clouds or not, deep down she knew this day would come and it would be unpleasant - and not at all like she dreamt it up when she was telling her yoga friends.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, ALittleShelfish said:

- I feel when this was aired, she was still freaking out that shit just got real, she actually HAD TO BIRTH THIS CHILD and she was snapped out of her princess fairytale before she knew it.  I have zero ounces of sympathy for her, head in the clouds or not, deep down she knew this day would come and it would be unpleasant - and not at all like she dreamt it up when she was telling her yoga friends.

ITA!  If she wasn't such a spoiled brat I would have a lot of sympathy for her.  Motherhood is a BIG A$$ deal and the emotions come in waves so yeah her meltdown can be forgiven IF she hadn't displayed such awful behavior so many times before.  Right now it's just to the point where I absolutely hate this chick.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, TrininisaScorp said:

Also, I like that a random person was taking care of the kids when they were in the park

I thought she was one of the guy's wives and Drascilla played with her kids. 

10 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

IIRC, not long after arriving in Ethiopia, she was wearing a top that showed her upper atms, which looked like they had scars on them, but I don't remember actually hearing it mentioned before. 

the cutting was confirmed on their couples page. Kind of ironic that she didn't want the baby circumcised because of the pain involved. Does anybody else think the baby's crying was exaggerated by editing? 

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

I noticed this too. There used to be a newscaster on a local TV channel who had the same fixed tight grin no matter how horrible the news she reported. It’s disconcerting.

Azan’s father threatened to murder his son. On a reality show on network TV.  I’ve never seen that before.

The rest of the storylines are either boring or irritating.

I think Brittney's father said that he liked to smile to cover up pain, hurt, worry or other negative emotions and I got the impression that Brittney got this trait from him.

I'm probably naive, but I truly, truly hope that Yazan's father was just saying that he would murder Yazan because it was what would be expected of him and so he wanted to make a public "stand" against these sins.  I know that honor killings happen, but I'm truly hoping that Yazan's dad was just saying that, because he felt he had to say it on TV because he needed to fully reject Brittney in the strongest terms possible so that people would stop talking shit about his family.  He needs for people to know that Brittney isn't part of HIS family and that he will publicly rebuke anyone associated with her.  

The alternative...that a man would kill his own son over some booty pictures....is just too depressing.  

41 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I have heard that Brittany's storyline is completely fake.  Some people on YouTube say Yazan is in on it, but I don't know.  

I think the storyline is fake for Brittney.  I don't think Yazan is in on it at all.  Its really sad. 

• Love 6
16 hours ago, DEL901 said:

And Kenny has to stop crying and getting mad when Mexico us different than the US.  The lady was trying to help them. 

Then he had the nerve to say he wished he spoke Spanish so he could ask the important questions he wanted to ask. He had plenty of time to start studying Spanish. Besides that, Armando was doing a great job translating and asking the right questions. He got all the answers he needed for them to start to take the next steps. Kenny needs to STFU and stop acting like you are superior to Armando. 

Yazan is crazy. Brittney is horrific. I can't stand Jenny. She's so in love with this loser that works 3 hrs a day and has to pay his parents $20,000 but never will be able to. How long does it take to earn $20,000 in India? 

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, RealReality said:

I think the storyline is fake for Brittney.  I don't think Yazan is in on it at all.  Its really sad. 

I can get with that.

I can't with Deavan though.  Masturbating to other women is cheating?  Is she serious or just self absorbed?   I would think it's in bad taste but not cheating.  I can't with her.

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I can get with that.

I can't with Deavan though.  Masturbating to other women is cheating?  Is she serious or just self absorbed?   I would think it's in bad taste but not cheating.  I can't with her.

I can't with Devan either.  She is a perpetual victim and I think she enjoys being a martyr.  She just kept reaching for some offense she could attribute to Jihoon so she could be a victim.  

I also find it annoying that she shits all over him in front of his friends and family.  

Why the hell would you ask his friends "was Jihoon always irresponsible with money?"  Like do you think this is going to make his friends like you, at all?  And I bet in a few weeks Devan turns around and complains that its so unfair that none of Jihoon's friends like her.  

• Love 12
14 minutes ago, BravoAddict72 said:

I wanted to reach through the TV and slap Brittney when she was flat out lying to her dad about everything that happened when she was there before. She shows no sympathy to anyone but herself.

I kinda love it when parents have their kid's numbers and call them out on their shit.  Brittany's hot dad (Gregory?) is not of that ilk.  Her mom seems to enable her bad behavior as well.

• Useful 1

I felt so bad for Jihoon's friends (and Jihoon!) when Devan started asking those questions.  I cringed inside out with embarrassment.  She needs to learn that there are things you keep between you and your spouse.  

I laughed out loud at Malala (I can't remember her name) telling Cheesedick (also can't remember his name) that it's none of his mom's business that she was with someone else while they were apart.  She's right, but it was also none of her family's business he cheated on her.  This is another couple who need to learn that there are things you keep just between the two of you.  What they REALLY need to learn is to cut their losses and break up. 

Ari, is just the worst person.  She is so spoiled and icky.  Bini is so patient with her.  I don't know if it's because he truly cares about her, or if he's acutely aware that she can take that baby and he'd potentially never see him again.  Although, maybe not.  I doubt she's aware she's given birth to a child in a country that doesn't honor the Hague Convention.  Bini might be able to make it hard for her to take the baby if he wanted to. 

If I were Sumit's parents, it would be a cold day in hell before I'd pay $10K (it's USD, correct?) to get him out of his marriage.  They are both grown-ass adults, and have been for quite some time.  They should have been able to secure that money themselves.  

• Love 4

I just can't with the women on this show.

Newsflash, Angela, Laura, Rebecca, Brittany, etc.: I'm a strong, assertive woman and I wanted an egalitarian relationship, too. (Like, a real assertive woman. Not the screamy, fake kind.)

So you know what I did?

I married a man who wanted a strong, assertive woman.

That was a helluva lot easier than the 90 Day plan, which is to find a man with strong cultural conceptions of patriarchy and then stomp around like a bleached blonde Godzilla, demanding he change RIGHT NOW.

Edited by the-grey-lady
  • Love 11

I just wanted to snatch Brittany out of the screen and slap her silly when she was in the car to the airport. Yazan calls and tries to tell her he bought a fancy car to satisfy her, but he wrecked it and will have to spend more. She does that haughty "why you trippinnnnn...?" routine where she's so condescending and aaargh, I just want to slap that stupid grin off her face. Hate her. Hate hate hate her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 16

Kenny and Armando can get married.  The legal landscape is as convoluted as it sounds from the mouth of the woman at the marriage bureau place, but the New York Times ran a story explaining it back in 2015 (incidentally, before the U.S. Supreme Court decision legalizing gay marriage), including this:

The ruling does not automatically strike down the state marriage laws. But it allows gay couples who are denied marriage rights in their states to seek injunctions from district judges, who are now obligated to grant them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/15/world/americas/with-little-fanfare-mexican-supreme-court-effectively-legalizes-same-sex-marriage.html

In some Mexican states, same-sex marriage is legal under state law.  In other states, same-sex marriage is illegal under state law but can be obtained by filing the right paperwork and requesting an injunction, and the injunction can't be denied.  There's no effective prohibition against same-sex marriage in Mexico. 

So Kenny can stop crying.  About that, anyway.  Good luck with everything else in his life.

Unfortunately, it does nothing to TLC's game plan of ginning up the drama.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I missed a chunk of the show because of relative's call but...

Ariela and Biniyam: I do get it, to a point. She just had a baby, is stressed out, has to grow up for the first time in her life, and put another person before *her* wants and needs. She is also now tied to a man who she really doesn't know, is being pressured by him and his family (although he really has been beyond patient and tolerant of her), has no family or friends to support her. Maybe she could have done some research on what life is like in Ethiopia and asked Bini how he lived, etc. before having a kid. The baby is going to experience pain - like all humans. A little snip won't affect him at all - he will have no memory of it. She just seems too selfish, too spoiled, has high expectations and is going to have a major reality check. Bini does need to be careful or he will have another kid moving to America. Note to him - get involved with African women.

Jenny and Sumit: He's finally divorced! But has a major debt to pay off. Where is the money going to come from? Now that he is 'divorced', will Jenny still want him? The drama and the chase and the 'scandal' of being involved with a married man won't be around any longer. Will he still be attractive to her or will his novelty wear off? You get the prize and it's boring. His parents are not going to accept her for many years - if at all. What is she going to do in India? Get some sort of job? Stay at home and have Sumit babysit and entertain her all day? She needs to find something to do. And maybe get some money to contribute to the household.

Fromage and Melyza: I kinda missed most of them. 

Brittany and Yazan: Yikes. Girl, you are not taking anything seriously about your 'fiance'.  Maybe someone in Jordan can have a blunt and honest conversation with you about what life is really like in Jordan and maybe you may wish to reconsider relocating there and marrying Yazan. Most of the relationship is you, you, and you and what Yazan can do for you. What do you do for him? Are you kind, thoughtful, respectful, make him laugh - or just a giant booty and braces. You are playing with this young man's life. Even the most modern Muslim countries still have very serious penalties for crimes. A hand can be chopped off, etc. You are on the phone riding to the airport, you talk to him like dirt, you don't want to get on the plane. Well, hang up, tell him it's not going to work, and wish him well. He and his family will find out eventually that you lied about your divorce. What do you think will happen to you? You just seem to be using this man. And he's getting a lot more from you than he bargained for.

Kenny and Armando: So you have a hitch in your marriage plans. Maybe take the time to learn some Spanish. Doubt it will take years for the judge to look at your human rights complaint. Just unnecessary drama. Flatten the hair for a day or two?

Deaven and Jihoon: So, Deaven, are you looking for a way to move back to the US? Grilling your 'husband's' friends? Do you think they would be honest with a person they have known for 2 minutes? You say the private park area with tents as a meth area or a homeless camp? There isn't that much privacy in South Korea. And you talk about some photos on his phone. Why are you checking his phone? We got waaay too much information about their marriage or lack of it. A lot of men look at pictures of women. Do you think that your disaster of a husband and a manchild is going to attract women like he is in some K-Pop group? He is yours. Time for you to grow up a little Deaven. You foolishly got knocked up and then hitched yourself to a stranger from another country. It's not some fairy tale. Both of you are a bit immature. Time to work on yourself a bit. Jihoon is not going to change.

• Love 7

Just a word on Kenny from last week since they showed it in the "previously on..." section. Kenny just got there. He should not expect to get a say in Hannah's upbringing yet. What he needs to do is observe how they interact and how he parents her and then allow her to absorb him as a parental figure. But Armando should be the full lead there. Kenny needs to keep his opinions to himself.

Ari remains insufferable. In the car she looked like she was on the precipice of a nervous breakdown. I get that her stress level is off the charts but she's difficult to feel sorry for. All this "my baby, mybaby" stuff is just too much. That baby is an Ethiopian citizen.   Bini could show up with his whole family and protest if she wants to leave the country and it could turn into a real mess. Ari viewing everything as a win or a loss is not a recipe for a successful marriage.

Deavan telling friends of Jihoon that she has known for about 30 seconds that he has naked girls on his phone?  

I feel so terrible for Yazan. Please ditch Brittany and go back to your life.

An aside: Is the show My Big Fat Fabulous Life a sarcastic title? I've never watched the show but there are commercials for it every week during this show and the gal in that show never looks like she's having any fab in her life.

I love Armando, he's just so, "Okay, well this is what it is, let's deal with it," whereas Kenny is such a theatrical, whining diva. He looked personally offended. If the laws are weird there, do what you have to do. If Kenny wanted to ask his own questions, he would have learned Spanish. But he thought that Mexico would immediate conform to his wants as soon as he arrived. 

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Kid said:

If Papa Sumit was smart he would tell Sumit that AFTER he pays him back the $20K he might consider giving his permission for Jenny to marry Sumit. Seriously, by the time Sumit pays him back he may rethink his decision.

Kenny is being an ass and like I posted in the chat, where the heck did he live in the States that everything was rosey and peaches for the LGBTQ community?  Gay marriage was law for all states till 2015. Kim Davis was denying issuing marriage licenses to gays and lesbians.  How many times have we heard in the news about cake stores refusing to make wedding cakes for gays and lesbians?  Even recently, that one million moms were pissed off about some oreo commercial about a lesbian couple.  My point is that Mexico is coming along and the woman at the office was trying to be super helpful to them. 

• Love 13
22 hours ago, suzywallis said:

Regarding Yazan and Brittany, I wonder if the producers (who we know like to stir the drama cauldron) sent the photos to Yazan's father? 

Does Brittany think those pics are somehow enticing to anyone?  All they did was remind me to add cottage cheese to my grocery list.

• LOL 19
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, lizajane said:

I get that it is very hard to hear your infant crying in pain

Albeit the same infant was happily feeding just minutes later.  Oh the horror of having some extraneous skin removed (someone called it chopping off body parts lol).

Her pouting about someone always winning and someone always losing  was such bullshit

She won and he lost on the name, but she only remembers his wins and her losses.  Regarding someone always winning, if you pick a partner who has a common system of beliefs then you don’t need to haggle over every life decision.  They probably wouldn’t even be able to agree on where to get takeout.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, RealReality said:

I think Brittney's father said that he liked to smile to cover up pain, hurt, worry or other negative emotions and I got the impression that Brittney got this trait from him.

I think that Brittany's permasmile is also Duper's Delight, or possibly just the excitement of getting camera time.  She also twitches when she says how she's the victim or she's helping Yazan become his best self.  When she incites him, like she did on her ride to the airport, she not only smiles harder, but she turns her head away from the camera and blankly stares at nothing.  

Her summary of events to her friend on the beach from last week is still making my head spin.  She's such a sick, selfish, delusional skank.

• Love 10

even Max the dog seems to have one. 

Max is perpetually panting, maybe pops is too cheap to turn on the AC.

Jenny's a big girl and she can figure things out herself without having a full time babysitter.

Like study the language so she’s not a dependent baby.  I have a feeling now that the divorce is finalized Jenny will urge Sumit to stiff his family over the loan so they can spend more time together rather than him working multiple jobs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Ari was totally disrespectful.  She was like, "I'm a white, American woman and what I say goes and fuck all of you brown folk.  This is MY baby and and my husband has nothing to do with him."    That's the vibe I get from her.  I also didn't like how she made fun of Bini's accent.  Princess Crap

Sorry I don't agree with that at all.  I never got the impression Ari thinks of Bini and the other people in Ethiopia as 'brown folk'.  She's just an entitled whiny bitch.  Not everything is about race.

• Love 18
18 hours ago, Adeejay said:

So, it’s unlawful for same sex couples to get married in Mexico, but it’s against the constitution to deny them the right?! Talk about confusing.

Typically a law that is unconstitutional can be invalidated by a court.  But maybe the government in less progressive Mexican states won’t do it willingly but drags its feet until after a court case is filed and won.

17 hours ago, magemaud said:

His friend offered him one hundred times the amount he was currently making. 

That would still be zero.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Typically a law that is unconstitutional can be invalidated by a court.  But maybe the government in less progressive Mexican states won’t do it willingly but drags its feet until after a court case is filed and won.

Could be politics.  The party in power in the state is not the one that passed the federal law.   By requiring an extra hoop, they can say we didn’t approve the marriage, the judge or whoever did.  

6 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I guess I need to thank Deavan.  I didn't know that tents in a park meant someone was giving away free meth (I'd think homeless people)

I also didn't know that naked selfies means you cheated, so thank you Deavan for educating me.

Someone upthread mentioned that Deavan & Jihoon met after he saw her on Instragram.  Who ELSE has seen her on Instagram?  How many OTHER men have HER photos on their phones to use as spank material?  Jihoon should accuse HER of cheating with COUNTLESS men!

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, configdotsys said:

But Armando should be the full lead there. Kenny needs to keep his opinions to himself.

Especially since he doesn't speak the language. How does he ever expect to have any type of parental relationship with the child if he can't talk with her? Kenny is ridiculous. Armando may be 20 years younger but is so much wiser in so many ways. 

Armando speaks perfect English with hardly any accent at all. I wonder if he will start teaching his daughter to speak English. It's so much easier to learn a second language and become bi-lingual when you are young. It will benefit her for the rest of her life.  

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Mean Jeanne said:

by now happily living the worthless skank life

Lol

7 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I see what you did.

6 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I didn't know that tents in a park meant someone was giving away free meth

I’m not surprised that Deavan knows.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I can get with that.

If he used her pics she would say he’s objectifying her.  

4 hours ago, steff13 said:

Bini might be able to make it hard for her to take the baby if he wanted to. 

Deport her, keep the baby, and let his normal family raise him.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

Ari/Bini - Was only half watching, but did a double take when Bini outed Ari as a cutter (after catching up to her in the van when she grabbed Avi and fled the hospital). I re-watched the conversation 3 times, and even turned on closed captioning the last time to make sure I heard him correctly.

I don't think he was referring to her cutting herself. He said, "Why did you stop the cutting?" and I took it to mean the circumcision because earlier when Ari used the rest room and came back to find the baby gone, Bini said the nurse "took him to do the cut." 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Tango64 said:

I just wanted to snatch Brittany out of the screen and slap her silly when she was in the car to the airport. Yazan calls and tries to tell her he bought a fancy car to satisfy her, but he wrecked it and will have to spend more.

I agree, although the English was difficult to decipher, I didn't think Yazan was BLAMING Brittany at all for his accident. He was trying to explain he bought the car because it would "improve her standing" (I think he said) with his family but had had an accident with it, not anything about it was her fault. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I have heard that Brittany's storyline is completely fake.  Some people on YouTube say Yazan is in on it, but I don't know.  

It's the internet, everyone is always very sure that everything is completely fake. Could their reasoning be fake? Let's google it.

• LOL 2
20 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Digital marketing is definitely a thing if my business expenses on my tax returns mean anything.

WTF was Sumit planning on doing? This is a grown ass man. If he thinks he has to stay home and take care of her NOW then he's gonna love it in 15 years when she's probably going to really start needing him. 

This situation makes no sense. WHY don't they move to the US? Let's take a gander at the reasons why people normally live abroad with their foreign spouse:

Employment: they don't have jobs in either place so that's not holding them there. It's cheaper to live in India, but apparently not cheap enough to live on $400a month-which is apparently the best Sumit can do. (And that's being hired by a friend.) WINNER: it's a tie, they're not employable in either place

Family ties: Jenny, with a kid and grandkids, should win this one. Sumit has parents who seem to want to strangle him and won't accept his girlfriend and ex in-laws who want him dead. She has the stronger ties. WINNER: US

Love of country: Sumit has expressed zero patriotism. Forget the front door, Jenny's afraid to walk out of the bedroom door without him. This doesn't seem to be a case of "we love it here so much, we could never leave." WINNER: US (at least Jenny could go to Walmart)

Ease of marriage: One of them comes from a country that will literally grant fiance visas to couples who have only spent 5 hours with each other on a cruise stop, and the other is from a country where their parents literally have legal control over who they marry. WINNER: US

Money: they don't have any WINNER: US (at least Jenny can qualify for Medicare) 

Friends: his think he's crazy and will probably never accept them. At least hers thinks it's funny. WINNER: US

So why the hell are they not emigrating? I know someone is going to say that they'd need a sponsor but I 100% feel like her daughter would do it. She's already expressed her concerns and has said that she doesn't want her mom there. She also knows that her mom WILL stay there, it's not a mindless threat a la Nicole. IMO if Jenny asked her to sponsor them, she would. It would bring her mom back to the US where she's safer (not because India is inherently more dangerous but, because, JENNY) and around her grandkids. And she's been all over SM stating that she likes Sumit and doesn't have a problem with him.

Stay in a country where nobody likes you, you're afraid to leave the house, and your lies broke up a family and put another family deep into debt...or return to a place where people think you're an idiot but somehow love you anyway?

I doubt Jenny could financially sponsor Sumit, not sure if she has a pension currently, I’m not American so don’t know how that works for her.  She would have some income from the show.  We did see on a previous season where she went out on her own to use the internet and once to look for job.  I bet she could find some kind of work even if under the table.  They unfortunately do not show a lot of motivation.  I doubt her daughter would want to take the risk to sponsor Sumit if she in turn would be held responsible for him for years, I know I wouldn’t. But maybe if he suggested to his parents he is thinking of immigrating to the US they might be more supportive of his marriage to her, if he agreed to stay in India.  I can imagine the cost of living is considerably less than the US.   

• Love 2

Did anyone else catch Jihoon saying, "If I didn't love you, I would have worn a condom."  WTF? Didn’t  Deaven say she got knocked up because the condoms were too large for Wee J? I'm sure she said that in a previous episode.  DUM-DAH-DUM-DUM!  And isn't that the stupidest way to show one's love. I'm gonna meet a girl from the States that I only chatted to online through an translator app, but I love her so I'm going to bang her without protection.   Rocket Scientist potential!

"MAH BAY-BEH, IT'S MAH BAY-BEH!"  Nails on a chalkboard irritating. Ari needs professional help. Little kids get hurt. Wait until he's a toddler and falling over and bumping into walls. 

Brit's father has the same stupid ass grin. It's certifiably creepy. "So, is the Father going to kill Yazan, and then you?" Dad says, smiling broadly. “Be sure to send me a postcard.”

Cheesedick is really pink, like a newborn gerbil. Ever notice that? 

Melyza's eyebrows are traveling the off-ramp and heading to Unibrow Town.  Please, get some tweezers. Somebody...Anybody. I’m serious fixated on them, even more than Brittany’s sharpie brows, or Ari’s the ‘Grinch stole MAH BAY-BEH!’ brows.

Sumit and Jenny's love story is not the rom-com I wish to see. 

Guess what else happened?  Kenny cries.  

Edited by Barbara Please
fixing stuff
  • LOL 12
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, Joan van Snark said:

Sorry I don't agree with that at all.  I never got the impression Ari thinks of Bini and the other people in Ethiopia as 'brown folk'.  She's just an entitled whiny bitch.  Not everything is about race.

I don't know, I don't think she would have been acting up like this if she were in Bulgaria or Hungary giving birth, even though both countries are poor.  I think she feels better able to contradict the medical staff because she doesn't particularly feel that they are knowledgeable enough to warrant her respect.  And I think she would feel differently about white medical staff, and maybe only because that is what she is used to in the United States.  Jump high, jump low, a lot of MDs are still white men.  

There is a scene in a Golden Girls episode where Rose goes to the hospital and Blanche says something like "oh, she is going to be fine, her doctor is a Jew"  The way I'm saying it makes it sound awful, but it was funny when she said it.  

• Love 5
On 11/2/2020 at 7:58 PM, SabineElisabeth said:

Ari/Bini - Was only half watching, but did a double take when Bini outed Ari as a cutter (after catching up to her in the van when she grabbed Avi and fled the hospital). I re-watched the conversation 3 times, and even turned on closed captioning the last time to make sure I heard him correctly. IIRC, not long after arriving in Ethiopia, she was wearing a top that showed her upper arms, which looked like they had scars on them, but I don't remember actually hearing it mentioned before. 

In any case, Bini's comment made me consider that maybe Ari is more than just another special snowflake. Not saying she isn't still annoying  but for about a solid 30 seconds, instead of wishing she'd zip it already, I just wanted to give her a big hug.

i think you misunderstood. When he said "why did you stop the cutting?" And she said "because I didn't feel comfortable", they were talking about the circumcision, not her.

I laughed out loud when Deavan said she considered Jihoon whacking off to photos was cheating. I think its sick she thinks she owns him and his pleasure to the point he's not allowed to masturbate. That's not ok. I don't understand why anyone would want to date Deavan, she is so miserable!

Ari went off the deep end and I applaud Biniyam for staying cool. Ari needs psychological help because she's clearly not coping.

Brittany is so self-centered and she acts like Yazan isn't ruining his entire life for her. Why she has to go back is anyone's guess because it's obvious they're not going to make it.

Melyza is a hypocrite. Sure she can tell everyone who will listen that yeaststick cheated on her, but nodoby should hear about what she did because she doesn't want to look bad (even though, according to her, she didn't do anything wrong).

Edited by Takitaki
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, magemaud said:

I don't think he was referring to her cutting herself. He said, "Why did you stop the cutting?" and I took it to mean the circumcision because earlier when Ari used the rest room and came back to find the baby gone, Bini said the nurse "took him to do the cut." 

2 hours ago, Takitaki said:

i think you misunderstood. When he said "why did you stop the cutting?" And she said "because I didn't feel comfortable", they were talking about the circumcision, not her.

Totally possible I misunderstood, as unfortunately, Bini isn't always the best communicator, both because English is his second language (completely understandable) and because he's not exactly the brightest bulb Ethiopia has to offer.  Plus, occasionally, I'm just wrong.  : )

My initial interpretation was that he starts accusing her of putting her feelings and issues above the well-being of their son, and then asks her about cutting, saying she's not nice to herself.  (Could very well be I defaulted to this being a reference to self harm because I'd noticed the scars on her arms a few episodes ago). Upon listening again, however, perhaps that statement was meant to just be another way of saying the same thing - that stopping the circumcision was for her benefit, not Avi's - which Ari denies several times, while turning Bini's accusation back on him.

In any case, only Bini truly knows what he meant, but here's more of the conversation, for context.  (And no, normally I don't have so much free time on my hands that I sit around transcribing reality tv show participants' conversations.  This morning, however, thanks to particularly bad insomnia, it seems this in fact is my life... so here ya go).  ; )

Bini: "I'm thinking about for baby."

Ari: "No you're not."

Bini: "You're thinking now your feeling.  It's not about for Avi's feelings."

Ari: "Yes, I'm thinking about my son.  You're not thinking about him.  You're thinking about, "Oh, my culture.  I'm dad, I'm proud, I want to do this.  I don't give a shit about your stupid feelings of masculinity!"

Bini: "Why you, you stopping the cutting?  Because you, you not nice to you.  That's why you doesn't get good feeling?"

Ari: "No,  because I didn't feel comfortable with the situation...."

Edited by SabineElisabeth
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, SabineElisabeth said:

Totally possible I misunderstood, as unfortunately, Bini isn't always the best communicator, both because English is his second language (completely understandable) and because he's not exactly the brightest bulb Ethiopia has to offer.  Plus, occasionally, I'm just wrong.  : )

My initial interpretation was that he starts accusing her of putting her feelings and issues above the well-being of their son, and then asks her about cutting, saying she's not nice to herself.  (Could very well be I defaulted to this being a reference to self harm because I'd noticed the scars on her arms a few episodes ago). Upon listening again, however, perhaps that statement was meant to just be another way of saying the same thing - that stopping the circumcision was for her benefit, not Avi's - which Ari denies several times, while turning Bini's accusation back on him.

In any case, only Bini truly knows what he meant, but here's more of the conversation, for context.  (And no, normally I don't have so much free time on my hands that I sit around dictating reality tv show participants' conversations.  This morning, however, thanks to particularly bad insomnia, it seems this in fact is my life... so here ya go).  ; )

Bini: "I'm thinking about for baby."

Ari: "No you're not."

Bini: "You're thinking now your feeling.  It's not about for Avi's feelings."

Ari: "Yes, I'm thinking about my son.  You're not thinking about him.  You're thinking about, "Oh, my culture.  I'm dad, I'm proud, I want to do this.  I don't give a shit about your stupid feelings of masculinity!"

Bini: "Why you, you stopping the cutting?  Because you, you not nice to you.  That's why you doesn't get good feeling?"

Ari: "No,  because I didn't feel comfortable with the situation...."

Yeah I agree that while good, his english occasionally isn't the clearest.