Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E17: The Grand Finale/Reunion

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

So season 12 is in Atlanta.  They already did one there.  Is there a reason why they can't do some on the West Coast?   I just checked and the farthest west they've gone is Chicago and Dallas.  

I can't answer as to why they haven't branched more out west pre-COVID but I'm going to guess they returned to Atlanta because there is a lot of filming and production there and, perhaps most importantly, Georgia was one of the first states to reopen during the pandemic.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 2

Figuring that in these parlous times everybody  could use a good chortle or two, I highly recommend  re-reading our thread for Episode  One!

We pretty much had Brett pegged from the git-go.  

But man, did we misjudge Woody!

Or maybe we just couldn't foretell how Amani would strike this playa as Apollonia did Michael Corleone: like the Thunderbolt!

From the novel "The Godfather":

"But this was the first time in his life such a thing had happened to him. It was nothing like his adolescent crushes....His life had become simplified...."

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, spunky said:

Henry had his guard up because of what he was told at the reception. Five years is a long time to be in a relationship with a married man. Hell five minutes is too much.  Christina definitely killed her marriage with the whole gay accusation. Karen looked disgusted during that whole conversation. 

There wasn't any marriage between Henry and Christina to kill. 

I'm glad Henry said what he learned about her at the reception. He was never interested in her which she didn't like because she expects all men to chase her. So she made up the gay text.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

My thoughts on the finale.  

I hope Olivia forgives Brett.  If she doesn't he'll go on living rent free in her head and every man she goes out with she'll be looking for "Brett traits."  I think they were only matched up because they had cats.

I think Brett needs some kind of therapy because he seems to use sarcasm and snark to hide his feelings.  An interesting exchange between Brett and Kevin Frazier was when Kevin said, "that's how it looks" and Brett said, "that's not how I felt."  His feelings and his actions don't match.  I wonder if he was shamed for sharing his feelings and uses sarcasm to hide it.

Brett said something about Olivia like, "She just wants someone to fit into her life, to go on trips and spend money" maybe he felt hurt by her, that she was looking down on him.  But his sarcasm makes him look like an asshole, and him not even "coming back" when all the couples were together didn't help.

Henry needs to forgive Christina for the same reason Olivia needs to forgive Brett.  Henry could become an old man with Christina still living rent free in his head.  

Christina should have NEVER been on that show in the first place.  If she'd been in a toxic 5 year relationship (and it was mighty petty for Henry to say the man was married.  Maybe he felt tit for tat, but it made him look petty and immature IMO)  she NEVER should have been cast, I mean she didn't even live in NOLA, why the heck was she there?

BUT, I have an issue with Henry now.  So, he knew Christina has been in a toxic 5 year relationship and that's why he wanted to stay away from her.  Okay, but did he ever talk about that with her?  Did he ever talk about that with the experts?  If not, he kind of gaslighted HER IMO.

Miles and Karen prove that I know nothing.  I'm like a person standing one inch away from a beautiful painting saying, "it's ugly."  But then someone will pull me back so I can see the whole picture and then say, "oh, I get it." 

Karen is a very reserved person, she wanted to make sure Miles was being genuine, and when he finally told her the way she was acting wasn't okay, it was then that Karen saw, as she put it, the "real" Miles.  It makes sense.  A lot of folks have been taught not to trust simplicity, especially when we see one thing and are then told another, it's easy to learn how to not trust what's in front of you.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 9
12 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I didn't think it was fair for the group to dump on Brett since he wasn't there.   If Brett had been there, at least he could have had an opportunity to apologize for hitting on Henry's friend since he brought it up.  And ChristinA definitely had some nerve talking about someone else's behavior.  It was a dump fest and it gave Olivia a chance to just sit there and look victimized.  

At least ChristinA's getting roasted now.

I agree.  I think it was poor to discuss Brett at all.  I think the producers relished having the others dump on him because he refused to go along with their crap.  He wants kids, Olivia clearly said tonight that she does not want kids. That was wrong to pair the two of them and I would be pissed too.

12 hours ago, cardigirl said:

I don't think Olivia garnered any sympathy for herself when she started screeching about how much Brett was dating and that all her friends were matching up with him on Tinder. She sounded like a woman scorned to me. I don't think I'll miss her.?

I don't know exactly how tinder works, but if you put your profile out there, isn't it logical that you will get a lot of matches? That doesn't translate to him hooking up with every woman who does show up in his matches.  Yeah, sour grapes.

• Love 13
11 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Do we have any idea what this woman does for money? I know she is supposed to be a flight attendant but it didn't seem like she was working much before COVID shut it down altogether. Now some flights have restarted but she's apparently partying with friends in Mexico instead of working??? How is she paying for that?

another married lover paying her bills? or maybe the same one paying them because she told him she'd out him to his wife if he didn't?

• Useful 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

I can't answer as to why they haven't branched more out west pre-COVID but I'm going to guess they returned to Atlanta because there is a lot of filming and production there and, perhaps most importantly, Georgia was one of the first states to reopen during the pandemic.  

yeah, we reopened prematurely and are now in a mess.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

My thoughts on the finale.  

I hope Olivia forgives Brett.  If she doesn't he'll go on living rent free in her head and every man she goes out with she'll be looking for "Brett traits."  I think they were only matched up because they had cats.

I think Brett needs some kind of therapy because he seems to use sarcasm and snark to hide his feelings.  An interesting exchange between Brett and Kevin Frazier was when Kevin said, "that's how it looks" and Brett said, "that's not how I felt."  His feelings and his actions don't match.  I wonder if he was shamed for sharing his feelings and uses sarcasm to hide it.

Brett said something about Olivia like, "She just wants someone to fit into her life, to go on trips and spend money" maybe he felt hurt by her, that she was looking down on him.  But his sarcasm makes him look like an asshole, and him not even "coming back" when all the couples were together didn't help.

Henry needs to forgive Christina for the same reason Olivia needs to forgive Brett.  Henry could become an old man with Christina still living rent free in his head.  

Christina should have NEVER been on that show in the first place.  If she'd been in a toxic 5 year relationship (and it was mighty petty for Henry to say the man was married.  Maybe he felt tit for tat, but it made him look petty and immature IMO)  she NEVER should have been cast, I mean she didn't even live in NOLA, why the heck was she there?

BUT, I have an issue with Henry now.  So, he knew Christina has been in a toxic 5 year relationship and that's why he wanted to stay away from her.  Okay, but did he ever talk about that with her?  Did he ever talk about that with the experts?  If not, he kind of gaslighted HER IMO.

Miles and Karen prove that I know nothing.  I'm like a person standing one inch away from a beautiful painting saying, "it's ugly."  But then someone will pull me back so I can see the whole picture and then say, "oh, I get it." 

Karen is a very reserved person, she wanted to make sure Miles was being genuine, and when he finally told her the way she was acting wasn't okay, it was then that Karen saw, as she put it, the "real" Miles.  It makes sense.  A lot of folks have been taught not to trust simplicity, especially when we see one thing and are then told another, it's easy to learn how to not trust what's in front of you.

I agree that Brett needs to get a handle on the sarcasm. It doesn't fit every situation.  And didn't he say either on this episode or earlier that his work had strict quarantine policies that made being there in person a bad idea? Why be in a room with a bunch of people that have maybe been playing it safe, but maybe not enough.

I don't think Henry will have any problems getting beyond the whole ChristinA fiasco.  I don't see him spending a lot of time with her on his mind.  And we have no idea whether he talked with production or the "experts" about her.  They didn't seem to be around to offer much expert advice on anything.

Strange that she was acting so sad and just wanted this all to end but was pretty cheery after that when they did the dumb questions about bad habits.  So phony.

That song that Amelia and Bennett made up and sang.   How stupid.

I wish Miles and Karen well, but she still seems pretty cold to me. I think it will be helpful to their relationship to have Woody and Amani close by, but I still don't see it lasting a long time. 

• Love 14
23 minutes ago, cinsays said:

I agree.  I think it was poor to discuss Brett at all.  I think the producers relished having the others dump on him because he refused to go along with their crap.  He wants kids, Olivia clearly said tonight that she does not want kids. That was wrong to pair the two of them and I would be pissed too.

I don't know exactly how tinder works, but if you put your profile out there, isn't it logical that you will get a lot of matches? That doesn't translate to him hooking up with every woman who does show up in his matches.  Yeah, sour grapes.

You put up a profile and you see if you match with people. You look at other peoples' profiles; if you like them, you swipe right on them (literally a finger-swipe on the screen), and if you don't like them, you swipe left. (Tinder was the first app to use the swipe right/left model, but I think most of the dating apps use it now.) If you and I swipe right on each other, we're a match and we start talking through the app and whatever happens, happens. If you swipe right on me and I swipe left on you, we are not a match - I wouldn't even know you swiped right on me. Some people have better luck than others. 

What is kind of fucked up is that Olivia said that her friends are matching with Brett and having conversations with him - she said they showed her conversations. Either they actually hope to date him, which is shady (don't date your friend's ex, that is guaranteed drama, particularly since she's clearly still mad about the whole thing), or they're just baiting him to play runteldat to Olivia, which is also shady and dramatic. Like, just leave him be. She knows he's dating; she doesn't need proof. If she's asking to see these conversations, that doesn't serve her well at all. Block him or take his number out of her phone and move on.

1 minute ago, cinsays said:

I don't think Henry will have any problems getting beyond the whole ChristinA fiasco.  I don't see him spending a lot of time with her on his mind. 

I fully believed him when he said he was indifferent to Christina seeing someone. He may need some time to shake off the whole experience, but I don't think he cares about Christina at all - he doesn't like her and more importantly, he doesn't care what she thinks of him. I don't think she liked him either but she cared what he thought of her. They'll never talk again.

3 minutes ago, cinsays said:

And didn't he say either on this episode or earlier that his work had strict quarantine policies that made being there in person a bad idea? Why be in a room with a bunch of people that have maybe been playing it safe, but maybe not enough.

I don't know if he was telling the truth about his job, but all those maskless people in that small room freaked me out - and we know they're not all quarantining because Miles said Henry and Woody went out for drinks two weeks ago. (We don't know when "two weeks ago" was but the pandemic has been going on for 8 months.) 

• Love 10
19 minutes ago, cinsays said:

I don't think Henry will have any problems getting beyond the whole ChristinA fiasco.  I don't see him spending a lot of time with her on his mind.  And we have no idea whether he talked with production or the "experts" about her.  They didn't seem to be around to offer much expert advice on anything.

Oh Henry was done with Christina shortly after the wedding.

He went through with the experiment, she didn't acknowledge his birthday and they really wanted nothing to do with each other. Christina chose to make herself a victim. He will be friends with others and she will be still expecting guys to chase her.

Henry will be fine!!

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, OnTime said:

she didn't acknowledge his birthday

That was such a trip to me. OK, maybe she didn't know the date of his birthday or she forgot. When a cake showed up to the house, that should have been a big fucking clue.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

I can imagine Brett didn't want to attend in person because he already saw how he was being edited and he saw those pre-shows with other cast members piling on him.   And I agree with Olivia that you do have to give editors something to work with, that there can only be so much manipulation.    But that goes both ways, Olivia; my opinion of you  is not that high, either.  

I did think it was petty of Henry to not be able to say, "I wish her well" when she said she was seeing someone.  Yes, he's over her and I guess he's being honest, so points for that?  But he was the one who chose to stay in the experiment from the very beginning, not being attracted to her and not trusting her.  And, as others have pointed out, not bringing his concerns up with the experts. 

And I was actually kind of impressed with Christina for apologizing publicly and saying she was wrong.   

But now the season is over, these unhappy folks can move on with their lives and hopefully find better matches.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

I personally wanted to stand up and cheer when he brought up the long-term relationship with the married guy. I'd read about on on the spoiler board and am glad he trotted it out there. As for not talking to Christina about him, I don't blame him a bit. Bitch crazy! I wouldn't talk to her about anything! I'd play beat the clock, collect my 25k, and enjoy the attention from potential dates who'd be happy to sit on the couch and watch a dumb old movie. Which was precisely Henry's MO.

• Love 12
10 hours ago, redpencil said:

There are also a lot of other cities in the West. Portland, Denver, Phoenix, Las Vegas, etc. Most of these bigger than New Orleans, so that can't be the issue. In fact, just looked it up. All those metro areas are bigger. Phoenix and Denver are 10th and 19th, respectively, by population in their metro areas. New Orleans is all the way down at 45 (though I get there are other reasons that New Orleans would be an attractive filming choice). So yeah, they should branch out a little.

Yes, those would be some great cities to film in and see the sceneries.   I'm just tired of MAFS seasons in basically the same areas.

• Love 4

ChristinA should've been shown the door after he found out she was involved with a married man for so long. Maybe she was 'kept' & that's why no home addy; did this show because she was dumped. She's very sketchy. Then she has the audacity to belittle Henry & blackmail him. I'm glad he got it all out there but it was done too late IMO. He should've dropped these bombs all along the way, but Henry can't handle confrontation w/o a gang to support him so he just stayed away from her AMAP & was passive aggressive. As much as I feel badly for him I don't respect that behavior either. I'm glad she was outed though, & hope she gets some help for herself, but she seems in strong denial of her issues. Henry will continue to be Henry & take advantage of his new 'status' for as long as possible.

I think it would be good for Olivia if she puts her anger aside, realizing it's better served directed toward the Show. She should come to an agreement with Brett that they both had good intentions going in but had the bad fortune of being matched for drama. Sucks but it's over, she's young, & can move on easily enough if she lets it go.

When I was against them talking shit about Brandon at the reunion I recall being in the minority on that opinion, but here many are upset about them talking shit about Brett with him not there.  Maybe there were stronger feelings against Brandon due to his behavior, but I feel like general rules should apply to all, regardless. Either we talk shit about them when they're not there, or we don't. It's a reality show, so, they're always going to talk shit with them not there anyway, which is probably why ChristinA was wise to show up. 😏

I see the familiarity of Karen/Miles to Deonna/Greg, but I supported Deonna during their season more because I saw warmth there & it always seemed like she was holding back because production wanted a story. Karen seemed genuinely colder & distant from Miles. She's probably someone you really have to get to know, if she lets you.

The Show is pushing Bennett/Amelia's "quirkiness" too much that it's already old.

I love my pets & new puppy like crazy, but if Woody doesn't want a dog Amani should drop it. Unpopular opinion but she comes off a bit spoiled like she'll get her way with whatever & he'll give in, but he shouldn't. This coming from a true, lifelong 'pet person', dogs (& kids), can either solidify a relationship, or break it. Fostering was mentioned & that's a good idea, but often dogs with issues are in need which can be worse than starting with a puppy. Hopefully they'll stay connected on the major decisions (& dogs are a major decision LOL).

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

ChristinA should've been shown the door after he found out she was involved with a married man for so long. Maybe she was 'kept' & that's why no home addy; did this show because she was dumped. She's very sketchy. Then she has the audacity to belittle Henry & blackmail him. I'm glad he got it all out there but it was done too late IMO. He should've dropped these bombs all along the way, but Henry can't handle confrontation w/o a gang to support him so he just stayed away from her AMAP & was passive aggressive. As much as I feel badly for him I don't respect that behavior either. I'm glad she was outed though, & hope she gets some help for herself, but she seems in strong denial of her issues. Henry will continue to be Henry & take advantage of his new 'status' for as long as possible.

Why should they show her the door for that?  They didn't even show Mia the door and she had charges filed against her.

I think that situation was kind of like Tristan/Mia from a few seasons ago.  She had charges filed against her and Tristan didn't know anything about it, that was why they couldn't leave the country to go on their honeymoon.  Henry should have brought up that Christina was in a toxic relationship and he was not playing that game.  

Who cares how Christina got the money to party in Mexico?  As long as I don't have to deal with her, who cares?

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

I’m still mostly on Team Brett. I don’t think he was hitting on Henry’s friends during the bachelor party. He seemed more interested in whether or not she and Henry really were just friends, but not because he was interested in her, but because his drunken brain was trying to get the real scoop on that relationship. I also think Brett was being his usual sarcastic self. Of course, I also thought that woman was a self righteous bitch, so there’s that. So I don’t see his behavior at the bachelor party as some evidence of what a jerk he is. I also think the entire cast only heard Olivia’s side of the story because Brett isn’t the type to go whine and cry about Olivia to them.  

I think Brett would have been thrilled to meet a woman who shared his interests and his life goals. Olivia was not that person. The fact that she still holds such a grudge against him tells me he was more realistic in the marriage. He knew they weren’t compatible so he ended it. Sure, he could have been less sarcastic and condescending during the process, but Olivia was no peach either, and she absolutely refuses to accept any responsibility for her own bad behavior during the marriage. According to Olivia, she did nothing wrong, which is hilarious. I just wish Olivia could accept that she’s not a victim of Brett. She was a victim of the producers who matched her with someone so incompatible. I’m sure she’s a lovely woman to people she likes, but she hates Brett and treated him accordingly.

I also think Henry is a passive aggressive jerk who should have just told Christina the truth on day 2 of their honeymoon. He was never physically attracted to her, and based on what he heard about her last relationship, he very quickly judged and dismissed her. Then he sat there like a lump on the log and made her do all the talking during filming, giving her nothing to work with. So yes, she got pissed. I get that. He was there to collect his check, and he never looked at her without anything but total contempt, so yes, she eventually lashed out because she was probably sick and tired of him sitting there like a freaking empty shell, making her look like an asshole when she asked producers what the heck she was supposed to do. Basically, I think they were also horribly suited for each other, and they both would have been far better off walking away after the honeymoon. It’s got to be incredibly difficult to maintain the farce for four freaking months. 

To be clear, I’m not suggesting that Christina is a lovely woman with no flaws, but I am saying that Henry is not the perfect gentleman he thinks he is. My guess is he’s just as much of a judgmental, stuck up prig as his so called best friend. Christina, on the other hand, is a deeply insecure and needy wreck of a woman who does all kinds of stupid shit for attention. 

• Love 16
2 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Why should they show her the door for that?  They didn't even show Mia the door and she had charges filed against her.

I think that situation was kind of like Tristan/Mia from a few seasons ago.  She had charges filed against her and Tristan didn't know anything about it, that was why they couldn't leave the country to go on their honeymoon.  Henry should have brought up that Christina was in a toxic relationship and he was not playing that game.  

Who cares how Christina got the money to party in Mexico?  As long as I don't have to deal with her, who cares?

Because anyone who has a 5 year "relationship" with a married man has SERIOUS character flaws. It's not like she spent a good chunk of time working on herself afterward so she could have a healthy relationship, obviously. She was not suited or ready for anything like this.

Mia was actually a domestic violence victim; I hadn't known that at the time & dissed her but then felt bad when I found out.

I made no comments on ChristinA's ability to travel. I have no idea where she gets her money from & don't care.

There are many who are not suited for this but they get picked anyway & always will, because, teevee.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, Fallacy said:

I just wish Olivia could accept that she’s not a victim of Brett. She was a victim of the producers who matched her with someone so incompatible. I’m sure she’s a lovely woman to people she likes, but she hates Brett and treated him accordingly.

I still think they were matched because of their cats.

30 minutes ago, Fallacy said:

I also think Henry is a passive aggressive jerk who should have just told Christina the truth on day 2 of their honeymoon. He was never physically attracted to her, and based on what he heard about her last relationship, he very quickly judged and dismissed her. Then he sat there like a lump on the log and made her do all the talking during filming, giving her nothing to work with. So yes, she got pissed. I get that. He was there to collect his check, and he never looked at her without anything but total contempt, so yes, she eventually lashed out because she was probably sick and tired of him sitting there like a freaking empty shell, making her look like an asshole when she asked producers what the heck she was supposed to do.

I used to side with Henry, but I have a problem with him now.  If he knew at the reception about Christina's former relationship and dismissed her because of that, he should have told her what the deal was and walked.  But he wanted the money, fame and to have women say, "poor Henry," I guess.

26 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

Because anyone who has a 5 year "relationship" with a married man has SERIOUS character flaws.

There have been plenty of people on this show with character flaws.   It is ironic though for someone to want to get married at first sight if they had an affair with a married man.

I made no comments on ChristinA's ability to travel. I have no idea where she gets her money from & don't care.

I was "speaking" in general terms, because of a previous comment.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

There have been plenty of people on this show with character flaws.   It is ironic though for someone to want to get married at first sight if they had an affair with a married man.

And they'll look specifically for many of them so they can keep matching for drama at someone's expense - the risk they take letting TV 'experts' marry them off.

I think she was 'kept' & her sweet deal with whatever shithead he was fell apart & so did she. I had also read she had a falling out with many people around her not long before the wedding (& having a long term affair could've done that) to the point of her having to have bridesmaids she hadn't seen since high school who were not real friends - makes sense given at the wedding they were having none of her BS.  They also used wedding guests from the other weddings to fill seats at hers.

So everyone has character flaws, but, not everyone is on an equal playing field in that regard. It seems like ChristinA's got bigger issues than many.

• Love 4

Yes, I am a party of one here, but I thought Henry was actually mean spirited and actually got off on ambushing her on national TV. Make no mistake, Christina has issues and was totally wrong about the whole gay text thing, but he gave her nothing the whole marriage, and as it turns out now, this was because he found from his "friends" on his wedding day that she was in a toxic relationship with a married man, which he just made sure to bring up last night.  She was obviously humiliated, apologized and he kept dumping more and ENJOYED it.  I know I am alone in this, but I really disliked him last night : (  He found his voice alright, but it wasn't pretty (at least not to me).

OK, take it easy on me, just my opinion!  

1 hour ago, Fallacy said:

I’m still mostly on Team Brett. I don’t think he was hitting on Henry’s friends during the bachelor party. He seemed more interested in whether or not she and Henry really were just friends, but not because he was interested in her, but because his drunken brain was trying to get the real scoop on that relationship. I also think Brett was being his usual sarcastic self. Of course, I also thought that woman was a self righteous bitch, so there’s that. So I don’t see his behavior at the bachelor party as some evidence of what a jerk he is. I also think the entire cast only heard Olivia’s side of the story because Brett isn’t the type to go whine and cry about Olivia to them.  

I think Brett would have been thrilled to meet a woman who shared his interests and his life goals. Olivia was not that person. The fact that she still holds such a grudge against him tells me he was more realistic in the marriage. He knew they weren’t compatible so he ended it. Sure, he could have been less sarcastic and condescending during the process, but Olivia was no peach either, and she absolutely refuses to accept any responsibility for her own bad behavior during the marriage. According to Olivia, she did nothing wrong, which is hilarious. I just wish Olivia could accept that she’s not a victim of Brett. She was a victim of the producers who matched her with someone so incompatible. I’m sure she’s a lovely woman to people she likes, but she hates Brett and treated him accordingly.

I also think Henry is a passive aggressive jerk who should have just told Christina the truth on day 2 of their honeymoon. He was never physically attracted to her, and based on what he heard about her last relationship, he very quickly judged and dismissed her. Then he sat there like a lump on the log and made her do all the talking during filming, giving her nothing to work with. So yes, she got pissed. I get that. He was there to collect his check, and he never looked at her without anything but total contempt, so yes, she eventually lashed out because she was probably sick and tired of him sitting there like a freaking empty shell, making her look like an asshole when she asked producers what the heck she was supposed to do. Basically, I think they were also horribly suited for each other, and they both would have been far better off walking away after the honeymoon. It’s got to be incredibly difficult to maintain the farce for four freaking months. 

To be clear, I’m not suggesting that Christina is a lovely woman with no flaws, but I am saying that Henry is not the perfect gentleman he thinks he is. My guess is he’s just as much of a judgmental, stuck up prig as his so called best friend. Christina, on the other hand, is a deeply insecure and needy wreck of a woman who does all kinds of stupid shit for attention. 

Regarding your take on Henry, thank you.  I thought I was alone in my dislike of him!!!

Edited by Kmascio5660
  • Love 9

Any doubt (to me) that Olivia wanted to just check the married box was erased when she said in one of her talking heads “I got a husband to do things with me like travel.”  I got a husband?  Replace husband with “purse” or “dog” and it means the same thing to her.  Bleh. 

• Love 14
40 minutes ago, Fallacy said:

He knew they weren’t compatible so he ended it.

Yeah, Olivia seemed to be on a "he didn't even try" tip but if you are fundamentally incompatible with someone, there's no trying. She seems to think that Brett not wanting to be married to her means he didn't want to be married at all, and I don't think that's true. She keeps saying she wants someone to "experience life with [her]," but the kinds of life experiences she wants and the kinds of life experiences Brett wants are not the same. Neither of them should give up the kind of life they want to have for the other one - the point is to find someone who wants the same kind of life you do and then go build that life together.

She said on the season that she would "consider" having kids and now on the reunion she said she doesn't want to have kids. So if Brett had hung in there with her hoping she'd land on his side (which is a terrible idea), they'd still have ended up in the same place they are now and he'd have lost time he could have spent trying to find someone who wants kids like he does. They just want different things.

I remember a Miami couple (the woman was named Lily; I forget the man's name) who lasted for a while past decision day but broke up like a year later, and I had called that they would split up because even if they liked or loved each other (and they did seem happy on the show), they just wanted different things. She was a realtor who aspired to wealth; he was a free-spirit type who lived on a bus (with no air conditioning in MIAMI; I'd have been out) who only wanted to work when he had to. Neither is wrong, but they're wrong for each other. Same deal here.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

Much as I dislike Christina and hate to cut her any slack at all, I'm going to go all 'Unpopular Opinion' here and say one thing about her relationship with the married guy: We don't know the circumstances behind it, so I am reluctant to judge. Sometimes things are complicated. I have a brother, for instance, whose girlfriend of four years is still legally married but has not seen her spouse in over seven years; they couldn't afford a divorce, so they never bothered. I have an older friend who is still legally married to a man she hasn't seen in 20 years; she tried to look him up to file for divorce a few years ago and couldn't locate him. I doubt something like this is the case with Christina's 'married man,' but I can't rule out that this kind of stuff happens. 

What I do find interesting is that Christina's friends took it upon themselves to mention this relationship at the reception. Seems like kind of a sensitive thing to put out there, in that context. Are they clueless or were they shooting him a warning?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, TheMediumBopper said:

What I do find interesting is that Christina's friends took it upon themselves to mention this relationship at the reception. Seems like kind of a sensitive thing to put out there, in that context. Are they clueless or were they shooting him a warning?

Yeah, see, that is interesting. Either they were 'hired' guests & heard things or just simply don't really like her & were filling a room. Judging from the way she treated Henry & production, & how fake she was with everyone else, she may have trouble with relationships in general.

• Love 8

Having been in "toxic" relationships as a reason to not be on this show isn't valid. What about the relationship Karen had with the guy who had a child with another woman - that's not toxic? And no one was saying that she should have been disqualified. Karen seemed way more broken and dysfunctional from that than ChristinA did. And many of us said that she wasn't ready, but she was on and told Miles, who chose to wait her out. We'll see how long lasts. ChristinA is seriously broken and in need of long term therapy, but I think Karen is, too. If they pre-disqualified people with prior bad relationships, they would have no one left in the pool to choose their participants. I think that having Amani and Woody as neighbors is going to be a real support for both Miles and Karen.

I see what people are saying about Henry and I do wish he had spoken up earlier, but he had probably already figured that she would lie about it anyway. He wasn't attracted to her at the altar and her personality at the wedding didn't help. I remember when he was trying to talk to her and she kept interrupting about losing an earring. Plus, she didn't even remember his name. Game over. And, he was gentleman enough to not jump her, as she kept telling everyone she wanted. I think Henry will be just fine. ChristinA, not so much. She is so insecure about herself that she chooses to settle for being a "kept" woman with a man she will never have a real relationship with, so unless she is ready to do real work, she will just find another situation like that. I wonder if they will get an annulment like Michael and Meka from last year since CristinA lied about so much of her background.

I think that if Olivia told the experts that she didn't want kids and Brett said he did, that could also be grounds for an annulment.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, NannyBails said:

I can imagine Brett didn't want to attend in person because he already saw how he was being edited and he saw those pre-shows with other cast members piling on him.   And I agree with Olivia that you do have to give editors something to work with, that there can only be so much manipulation.    But that goes both ways, Olivia; my opinion of you  is not that high, either.  

I did think it was petty of Henry to not be able to say, "I wish her well" when she said she was seeing someone.  Yes, he's over her and I guess he's being honest, so points for that?  But he was the one who chose to stay in the experiment from the very beginning, not being attracted to her and not trusting her.  And, as others have pointed out, not bringing his concerns up with the experts. 

And I was actually kind of impressed with Christina for apologizing publicly and saying she was wrong.   

But now the season is over, these unhappy folks can move on with their lives and hopefully find better matches.

Agree, any sympathy I had for him disappeared last night.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, spunky said:

Karen and Miles seem to be thriving now that the cameras are gone. Woody and Amani also seem to be doing great. I'm not surprised that both couples now live just a few footsteps away from each other.  Also thank you producers for choosing black people who don't I've up to the negative stereotypes we usually see on TV (looking at you Bravo).

At first I thought Brett was getting a bad edit like Karen was. However it seems like no one likes him. Olivia just needs to let it go and move on. She can be very annoying at times. 

Henry had his guard up because of what he was told at the reception. Five years is a long time to be in a relationship with a married man. Hell five minutes is too much.  Christina definitely killed her marriage with the whole gay accusation. Karen looked disgusted during that whole conversation. 

Karen looks disgusted if you tell she looks pretty!

22 minutes ago, TheMediumBopper said:

I have a brother, for instance, whose girlfriend of four years is still legally married but has not seen her spouse in over seven years; they couldn't afford a divorce, so they never bothered.

I remember Kandi Burruss (Grammy-winning singer/songwriter & Real Housewife of Atlanta) said on Real Housewives that her parents had been separated since she was in middle school (she's in her 40s now) but never divorced. She didn't say why. 

I do tend to think Christina's married man relationship was more of the garden variety affair, simply because she didn't deny it. If it was a situation where she met him when he was in the middle of a divorce or something (divorce can take years; in some states you have to be legally separated for a year before you can even start the process) - like, he and his wife had filed, were living separately, and were working through the system, I think she'd have said so. (A family friend met her now-husband under those circumstances - he was legally separated and actively divorcing but the divorce wasn't finalized yet. And he was definitely dating.) Or if she hadn't actually been with a married man at all, she'd have said "That's not true" in the moment. Or if she found out he was married in year five of their relationship, she'd have said so. Amani was in a long-term relationship with a married man too; she just didn't know he was married and ostensibly she broke up with him when she found out.

2 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

I think that having Amani and Woody as neighbors is going to be a real support for both Miles and Karen.

I love that. One of my favorite Amani moments was when she told Miles "You gonna stop calling my friend old."

7 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

If they pre-disqualified people with prior bad relationships, they would have no one left in the pool to choose their participants.

So true and I think the pickings are slim as it is, especially for men. Hell - even in this group, there's Karen (ex had a baby with another woman during their relationship), Amani (ex was married but she didn't know), Brett (ex-fiance cheated on him twice), and Christina (ex was married).

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Marley GMA said:

Yes, I am a party of one here, but I thought Henry was actually mean spirited and actually got off on ambushing her on national TV. Make no mistake, Christina has issues and was totally wrong about the whole gay text thing, but he gave her nothing the whole marriage, and as it turns out now, this was because he found from his "friends" on his wedding day that she was in a toxic relationship with a married man, which he just made sure to bring up last night.  She was obviously humiliated, apologized and he kept dumping more and ENJOYED it.  I know I am alone in this, but I really disliked him last night : (  He found his voice alright, but it wasn't pretty (at least not to me).

OK, take it easy on me, just my opinion!  

I'll sit there with you.  In the beginning I was on Henry's side, but when he said he found out AT THE RECEPTION about Christina's relationship and that turned him off, I realized he was a nasty piece of work, stringing her along like that.  He wasn't into her, and he just sat there like a lump on a log and said nothing and THEN he decides to say she had a five year affair with a married man.  What an asshole.  Sure Christina was wrong about the gay story (which I think she made up), but that never would have happened had he unloaded her in the beginning.  

I think Brett was an asshole from the beginning, but at least he said, "this ain't working" and bounced.  Henry should have done the same.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I would so watch "Life With Woody"! Or "Mr. Randall's Neighborhood"! 

I'm glad we didn't see as much of his shoulder-shrug dancing as time went on, but I still wish he'd stop mugging.  So I'd have to give those shows a pass.

44 minutes ago, TheMediumBopper said:

I have an older friend who is still legally married to a man she hasn't seen in 20 years; she tried to look him up to file for divorce a few years ago and couldn't locate him.

There are procedures for getting a divorce from someone who can't be located.  Which makes sense--there's no public policy reason to make someone stay married just because the spouse can't be found.

21 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

I see what people are saying about Henry and I do wish he had spoken up earlier, but he had probably already figured that she would lie about it anyway. He wasn't attracted to her at the altar and her personality at the wedding didn't help.

But so what if she would lie about it?  That's no reason to secretly harbor this information.  She's pretty heinous, but she deserves to know what's guiding his relationship with her, and she deserved to know back at the beginning. 

It seems like he was collecting red flags for later use instead of addressing the issues they raised.

21 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

And, he was gentleman enough to not jump her, as she kept telling everyone she wanted.

Under the circumstances, I would think that would be the least he could do.  So it doesn't rise to gentlemanly behavior to me.

33 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

She is so insecure about herself that she chooses to settle for being a "kept" woman with a man she will never have a real relationship with,

Wait.  Has she said she was a kept woman?  I've seen people theorizing that that's the case, but all I've heard was that there was an affair, and no specifics.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

But so what if she would lie about it?  That's no reason to secretly harbor this information.  She's pretty heinous, but she deserves to know what's guiding his relationship with her, and she deserved to know back at the beginning. 

It seems like he was collecting red flags for later use instead of addressing the issues they raised.

He should have done what Brett did, said "this isn't working" and bounced.

11 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Wait.  Has she said she was a kept woman?  I've seen people theorizing that that's the case, but all I've heard was that there was an affair, and no specifics.

All we know is that she had an affair for 5 years with a married man.   I think people feel she was a "kept woman" (talk about old fashioned language....am I in the 1950's?) because she didn't have a place to live.  

I have respect for Heather, because during her season, she knew it wouldn't work between she and what's his name, and left the marriage.  I sense that Henry's a nasty piece of work, but one of these guys who can look so innocent, that the women are looking are like, "poor widdle Henry, who was ruined by "that shrew."  

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I'll sit there with you.  In the beginning I was on Henry's side, but when he said he found out AT THE RECEPTION about Christina's relationship and that turned him off, I realized he was a nasty piece of work, stringing her along like that.  He wasn't into her, and he just sat there like a lump on a log and said nothing and THEN he decides to say she had a five year affair with a married man.  What an asshole.  Sure Christina was wrong about the gay story (which I think she made up), but that never would have happened had he unloaded her in the beginning.  

I think Brett was an asshole from the beginning, but at least he said, "this ain't working" and bounced.  Henry should have done the same.

I'll make room for you at my table.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Retired at last said:

Having been in "toxic" relationships as a reason to not be on this show isn't valid. What about the relationship Karen had with the guy who had a child with another woman - that's not toxic? 

The experts and/or casting directors likely agree. It wasn’t just that Christina was in a toxic relationship. The relationship ended a few months before the wedding. The casting process takes some amount of time. Christina applied for the show very soon after getting out of that relationship. She didn’t give herself enough time to heal, grow, and get ready to be in a serious, monogamous, possibly long term relationship with the type of person MAFS was likely to select for her.

Christina wanted someone to adore and desire her. That’s perfectly reasonable. Occasionally, the show matches the woman who has been wounded by love with the man who thinks she’s the answer to his prayers. However, there’ve been many men on this show who did not adore or desire their wives. Some slept with them through most of the season anyway. Others were distant in less awkward ways than Henry. 

Christina, Karen, Olivia, Brett, and Henry were, or were perceived to be terrible partners. But, so what? MAFS selected them and gave them a chance to share a new experience with some fairly interesting new people. They gave us the chance to criticize, defend, or be entertained by them. If I was Henry I would have stayed in the second bedroom, enjoyed the couples retreat with the other folks, and finished the process, too. I wouldn’t ambush my partner with gossip on national television though. 

That said, people who apply for this show would be smart to consider how they will respond on camera if it becomes clear that their partner is toxic or just not into them. Or if they are toxic or just not into their partner. 

Maybe Christina would have done well with Vaughn from Season 1.

Edited by Rhiannon Hunter
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

All we know is that she had an affair for 5 years with a married man.   I think people feel she was a "kept woman" (talk about old fashioned language....am I in the 1950's?) because she didn't have a place to live. 

But isn't the hallmark of a kept woman having a place to live, paid for by the married man?  I'm sure she wasn't staying with him and his wife.  😀

Maybe it's because I don't have a house or apartment myself, and instead live in an RV traveling around, but Christina having her stuff in storage and in her car and possibly not owning or paying rent on a house or apartment doesn't sound that crazy to me, especially because she's a flight attendant.  I don't know how their schedules work, but I'd be super happy to just stay extra days wherever I was flying instead of going back home to the same place all the time.  It would eventually get old, I'm sure, but if I were young and unencumbered, I think it would be a gas.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I think whatever information Henry found out about ChristinA or observed early on was filed under "Forewarned is Forearmed."  He saw her impatience right away and was told at the wedding that she was recently out of a long term affair that was (possibly) with a married man.  He was willing to keep an open mind and continue on with the marriage to see how they got along and if they were compatible.   If I were Henry and heard at the wedding that she had been in a five year relationship with a married man, I wouldn't march over and say, "What's this I hear about you being in a years-long relationship with a married man?"  I think he took what he saw and heard during the wedding/reception/honeymoon with a grain of salt and continued the process to see how things went from there.  As time went on, he saw more dishonesty, (and she said in a clip that she had a history of being a "flamboyant liar",) more rudeness and an effort to keep him in line by threatening to reveal a text--which may or may not have been real--that he was gay.  She added for good measure that people at the wedding (I think it was then) kept asking her if he was gay.  She wanted him to take charge in the bedroom department and he didn't want to take charge with someone he wasn't attracted to and--I'm guessing here--didn't even like very much.  IIRC, at the reunion Henry said he didn't think muddying the waters with a sexual relationship when their communication was so off kilter was a good idea.  Henry said he's not a good communicator but I think just not being a liar puts him head and shoulders above ChristinA. (Yeah, that was mean. Sorry not sorry.)  Henry did say he avoids confrontation so that did prolong the relationship. Had he said-- you lied about where you live, you're rude to people, you tried to blackmail me; we're done--things surely would have been over before DD.  I'm guessing he decided to wait it out, play by the rules and officially end it on DD.  

Edited by rebel2u
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

But isn't the hallmark of a kept woman having a place to live, paid for by the married man?  I'm sure she wasn't staying with him and his wife.  😀

I meant she didn't have a place to live when she was on the show, remember she said some of her things were in storage, in her car and in California, hence she didn't have a place to live.  

Henry did say he avoids confrontation so that did prolong the relationship. Had he said-- you lied about where you live, you're rude to people, you tried to blackmail me; we're done--things surely would have been over before DD.  I'm guessing he decided to wait it out, play by the rules and officially end it on DD.  

Why bring it up on the finale?  He's kept silent about it for that long.   Some might say he did it for revenge (see, a weenie) because of the gay rumor.  But here's the thing, she didn't bring up the email on camera, so why bring up her dirt, on camera?

giphy.gif

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I'm glad we didn't see as much of his shoulder-shrug dancing as time went on, but I still wish he'd stop mugging.  So I'd have to give those shows a pass.

Yeah, I'd have to give the Woody shows a pass, too.  Mugging is exactly what he does.

Also, while it's nice right now that Woody and Amani live so close to Miles and Karen, I wonder if it might start to get on Karen's nerves.  Right now, Karen might like having Amani as a friend, but down the road I could see Amani being a busybody and not minding her own business. And I can imagine Woody's shoulder dancing would definitely get on Karen's nerves, lol.  But hey, that's their business. 😏  

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I think Henry put ChristinA on blast at the reunion because she was threatening to put him on blast for being gay.  If she hadn't done that, then maybe he wouldn't have gone off on her like he did but she stooped too low and that was the last straw for him.  I'm glad he did it. 

My only issue with Henry was leading the dumping on Brett, which I thought was mean spirited and unnecessary.  

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Fallacy said:

I agree. Never cared much for either, but of the two, Henry would probably irritate me more. 

FWIW, Henry departed as he entered: Hoping for a woman with "nice hair and nice shoes." 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • LOL 2
8 hours ago, OnTime said:

There wasn't any marriage between Henry and Christina to kill. 

I'm glad Henry said what he learned about her at the reception. He was never interested in her which she didn't like because she expects all men to chase her. So she made up the gay text.

We all know she made that text up. Up until that point Henry was being polite and pretending to try.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Retired at last said:

I think that is what the show decided. But, the viewers aren't buying it this time. He may be annoying, but is no Brandon or Michael from last season. Plus, many of us have found ChristinA, Karen, or Olivia to be just as, if not more, unlikeable.

They did Karen dirty as well.  Someone posted a snippet of an interview on Reddit a couple weeks ago. The producers didn't show that she gave Miles a record player for their 1 month anniversary ( he loves music). They also didn't show that she gave Miles massages during quarantine.  They made their relationship look one-sided the entire season. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

She wants him to tell her she’s annoying? That’s all I got. 🤷‍♀️

What I got from her conversations with Pastor Cal and her friends,  is that she felt as though Miles was neglecting his needs to make her happy. She wanted him to be more assertive.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, spunky said:

What I got from her conversations with Pastor Cal and her friends,  is that she felt as though Miles was neglecting his needs to make her happy. She wanted him to be more assertive.

But then she freaked out when he put the "sex with my wife" note on the fridge.  So I'm wondering what she meant by being "assertive."

38 minutes ago, spunky said:

They also didn't show that she gave Miles massages during quarantine.

I think it was a few episodes ago, but I remember seeing a clip of her giving him a back massage. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

But then she freaked out when he put the "sex with my wife" note on the fridge.  So I'm wondering what she meant by being "assertive."

I think it was a few episodes ago, but I remember seeing a clip of her giving him a back massage. 

She definitely misinterpreted that joke. I'm guessing she leads a team of people as a Project Manager.  What I got from her is that she wants to be submissive to her husband at home. She doesn't want to be the one making the decisions at home, she wants him to do that.

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Why bring it up on the finale?  He's kept silent about it for that long.   Some might say he did it for revenge (see, a weenie) because of the gay rumor.  But here's the thing, she didn't bring up the email on camera, so why bring up her dirt, on camera?

I don't know; maybe one person's pettiness is another person's honesty.  Plus, I'm thinking it had been discussed so much already on the show that it would be part of the storyline, regardless, and Henry's mentioning it would not be the first time it had been discussed on camera.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Edited by rebel2u
  • Love 4

I'm curious about it because I think it's part of her homelessness backstory. There was never the slightest mention of her work, at all, even pre-Covid. Although they don't usually focus on it, the cast members' jobs usually are at least mentioned in passing. The only reason that I know ChristinA is supposedly a flight attendant is because it was in her caption for the talking heads. In all the Covid discussions, I don't remember any mention of her having reduced hours or concerns about being on an airplane during Covid - which would have been a natural talking point.

I think there is just something really shady about her and that she has neither a home nor a job... which makes me wonder how she gets by. I think that Henry's major issue with her (pre-blackmail) was her fast and loose relationship... with the truth. I think he saw her relationship with a married man as evidence of her comfort with dishonesty, plus the fact that she lied about where she supposedly lived and never did go get any of her belongings from wherever they were; and I think that she wasn't being upfront about her employment situation either. Now she's just lazing around in Mexico? Hmmmm.

• Love 11
23 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Why is ChristinA still talking...  why is ChristinA still there?

So if Christina was partying with friends in Mexico trying to leave everything behind and is now seeing someone new who "loves to travel," shouldn't she have been wearing a mask?  It made me a little nervous.

• Love 7
20 hours ago, Retired at last said:

Yes. They said that they were both meeting each other's needs and that they had sex.

Actually, they never said that, and I still question whether they have had sex yet.  I replayed it (it starts at 49:45) and Kevin asks Miles if his needs are being met.  He says his needs are being met and they take care of each other.  Then Kevin asks Karen "At what point did you finally say we can consummate this marriage; we can be man and wife?"  And she answers about how important it was that she got to hear how he was really feeling.  But there was no answer indicating that they had, or had not, had sex.

9 hours ago, NannyBails said:

I did think it was petty of Henry to not be able to say, "I wish her well" when she said she was seeing someone.  

I think he didn't say it because he may not have believed that she really is seeing someone!  What I found interesting was watching her face at the end of her spiel about seeing someone, and she says how happy she is, and she then makes the absolutely most miserably sad dejected expression.

8 hours ago, Fallacy said:

Very well said.

22 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Seems lots of people don’t like Olivia.  Everything has to be her way, and she really doesn’t want kids.  Brett had her number on Day 2, so he didn’t even try.

So what I find interesting about this, is that Olivia was right all along when she said she doubted his sincerity with many of the sweet things he was saying during the marriage.  During the finale, Brett admitted that he had liked her at first until he got to know her.  So all of his "Hi hon" and "hi cutey wife" BS were just that, exactly as she had been saying.  Same with Christina being right, regarding Henry, as detailed in the explanation above from what he said in the finale.  

• Love 5