Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Halloween & The Election vs. The Pandemic

Pallas
  • Start Topic

Becky and Darlene with their masks off at Wellman was distracting

I don't think anyone who works on this show has ever been on the floor of a factory. It's like "What's Wrong With This Picture?" when they show Becky and Darlene at "work."

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, rejnel said:

I don't think anyone who works on this show has ever been on the floor of a factory. It's like "What's Wrong With This Picture?" when they show Becky and Darlene at "work."

Yeah no kidding, just like other shows are: "You from Missouri, you a talking country hick who know not to tie shoes." I'll never forget a joke Jay Leno made about Claire Danes years ago where she was in a movie and it took place in Arizona and she did a very heavy southern accent. She admitted to Jay that her and the director had never been to Arizona so they thought it be fun. Jay Leno looked at her and then someone in audience got up and was: "I was born and raise there, how do I sound?" Followed by Claire going: "like me." Tells you how much research goes into these shows. 

• Love 4

Always here for a Conner Halloween episode.   This didn't disappoint.  I don't see any problem with the kids having costumes because as mentioned above they have about twenty years of Halloween decorations and costumes in the attic.  

The line that killed me was when Jackie said she couldn't figure out how to make the gumball costume about her mother.   The bathroom line fell flat for me because while funny,  I am fully aware that Dan has his own en suite attached to his bedroom. 

Not to get too political but I appreciated all the comments tonight.   Especially from Dan who is sometimes bullheaded but was pretty eloquent this time around. 

• Love 9
13 hours ago, geauxaway said:

I felt like we were watching Sarah not Darlene on The Talk (which I immediately switch off when it come on after B&B).  So yah, no thanks.

Which also no thanks to Mark once again being a precocious little preachy kid.  Last season Mark was going after adults in the mall about voting or whatnot.  Now Mark is complaining about a peer not wearing a mask outside (possibly off campus).  News flash.  Kids get mask breaks. It’s not the end of the world.  Maybe I’m biased, our district has been in school full time with huge success.  Mark just seems to like to complain a lot about stuff.  🤷🏻‍♀️

Mark is a gay kid who has to grow up knowing that the adults around him, directly and indirectly control the future of the world he has to grow up and live in. Kids can't do anything but engage or beg the adults to make the right decisions. And since he's a kid he won't always handle the situation correctly but to be fair neither do many adults. Mark's character is there for the young gay kid first, and all kids in general who may feel lost, or scared, or unsupported to show them they are valued, their concerns are legit and there are people who care about them. He's not there for us.

• Love 18

I don't care that Jerry doesn't exist in this version. I forgot about him and Andy until it is mentioned here, and I watched the original series

Jerry's erasure doesn't bug me that much since the whole final season of Roseanne turned out to be one big fantasy anyway, but Andy was born well before the final season. Moreover, the reboot is very cavalier about picking and choosing which parts of the original show happened and what parts they choose to ignore. It's odd, because the original show was so popular and has run consistently in syndication (until very recently). People know that show as well as they know a show like Friends, Seinfeld or Cheers. First they brought back Crystal without mentioned what happened to Ed, then they ended up bringing in Little Ed without mentioning Crystal. It's very lazy, it's very haphazard, and it's disrespectful to the audience.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, readster said:

Yeah no kidding, just like other shows are: "You from Missouri, you a talking country hick who know not to tie shoes." I'll never forget a joke Jay Leno made about Claire Danes years ago where she was in a movie and it took place in Arizona and she did a very heavy southern accent. She admitted to Jay that her and the director had never been to Arizona so they thought it be fun. Jay Leno looked at her and then someone in audience got up and was: "I was born and raise there, how do I sound?" Followed by Claire going: "like me." Tells you how much research goes into these shows. 

God, Modern Family was the worst at this. If it was not LA, it was a backwards ass mess.

Columbia was a place where people beat laundry on a rock and everyone is a drug dealer.

The Midwest was a place where people were excited about the prettiest pig beauty pageants. 

It was so willfully ignorant.

• Love 6
22 hours ago, ThatsDarling said:

Casual viewers are probably unaware that Dan and Roseanne even had another son after DJ.

I don't remember what the last season of Roseanne that I watched, maybe sometime after season 4, but I definitely didn't watch the last two seasons.  I was unaware of any more children for Roseanne, or that Jackie had any.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I don't remember what the last season of Roseanne that I watched, maybe sometime after season 4, but I definitely didn't watch the last two seasons.  I was unaware of any more children for Roseanne, or that Jackie had any.

They weren't worth remembering. I don't give two shits about hearing what they're doing.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

God, Modern Family was the worst at this. If it was not LA, it was a backwards ass mess.

Columbia was a place where people beat laundry on a rock and everyone is a drug dealer.

The Midwest was a place where people were excited about the prettiest pig beauty pageants. 

It was so willfully ignorant.

Right and the original Rosanne depicted people in the Midwest not to mention teachers. They showed them flawed, but wanting best for the kids or the school. Or even doing snap judgments based on things. Now, you get shows where the principals act like they had pictures on school board members. Teachers who you know, don't look at students' past records or make phone calls home. Since The Connors have aired, you've seen more of this lazy type of writing and lack of research. Though props to the show having Dan read a Daily Chronical which is the local newspaper in that part of Illinois. In the original series, Lanford was by Sycamore, IL, where I grew up with and Dan was always reading a Sycamore News (no longer published). 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, DB in CMH said:

Lecy needs acting lessons. That scene at Wellman was HORRID. She can't deliver a line naturally to save her life - zero nuance. Send that Mark kid in for some lessons too.

I agree that that segment was off, but I normally find her good, especially with sarcastic remarks.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Also, Mary's an only child whose mother is absent most of the time.  She's had plenty of alone time.

It's in the 9-to-12 age that kids start wanting to be more involved with their families. They'll pull away again starting at age 13, of course, but in the tween years, family means a lot. 

Which brings me to something that kind of bugs: all the "Screw Andy and Jerry!" posts. Not denying anyone's right to their opinion, but speaking as the Jerry in my family, I have forgiven but not forgotten the way my family pushed me away when I was trying to be part of the group. I was never trying to be the center of attention, just didn't think I should be sitting in The Other Room reading while they all socialized. I know you guys are talking about fictional characters in the context of a TV show; I'm not taking it personally. But it is reminiscent of the attitude my family had towards me, like I was a failed experiment taking up space. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Lorna Mae said:

It's in the 9-to-12 age that kids start wanting to be more involved with their families. They'll pull away again starting at age 13, of course, but in the tween years, family means a lot. 

Which brings me to something that kind of bugs: all the "Screw Andy and Jerry!" posts. Not denying anyone's right to their opinion, but speaking as the Jerry in my family, I have forgiven but not forgotten the way my family pushed me away when I was trying to be part of the group. I was never trying to be the center of attention, just didn't think I should be sitting in The Other Room reading while they all socialized. I know you guys are talking about fictional characters in the context of a TV show; I'm not taking it personally. But it is reminiscent of the attitude my family had towards me, like I was a failed experiment taking up space. 

That's terrible. You were a person with feelings and a life. The reason I don't care about Andy and Jerry is because, when the show ended they were still pre-verbal infants with no discernible personalities. It's hard to miss something that was never really "there".

• Love 12
51 minutes ago, Lorna Mae said:

That is horrible and I'm so sorry. I get like that some family get togethers on my wife's side. Like I'm: "You married into the family and you aren't into what we are in, so never mind." Then they wonder why I seem to ever talk to anyone. Said multiple times that when I do I get shut down and then they act like it's my fault. When we have other events with family members who have similar interests. We have a great time. Yet, sadly it's a circle no one seems to realize what they are doing when really, you just want to be acknowledged. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Lorna Mae said:

Which brings me to something that kind of bugs: all the "Screw Andy and Jerry!" posts. Not denying anyone's right to their opinion, but speaking as the Jerry in my family, I have forgiven but not forgotten the way my family pushed me away when I was trying to be part of the group

I'm sorry that happened to you.  I was the youngest with two way older brothers. It's like being born into a different family. 

My beef with Andy and Jerry being missing is that Jackie comes off on this reboot as a woman with no life beyond the Connors. She has no ex-husband and no children. Nothing in her life but glimpses of Big Bev and her interactions with the Connors (and that sliver of Booker from this week). It's pretty rare for a woman to get to her 60s without SOME kind of direct relationship imprint. Plus imagine if Andy came back - he could work with her at the Lunchbox. There could be some interactions with Fred (I always remember the whole "Fred became interesting" scene from the original show). The Connor kids could have their cousin in their lives. Same thing with Jerry. Imagine Jerry coming back from the sea for Thanksgiving (even if he showed up randomly).  It would be a nod to many of us viewers that watched and rewatched the original show this reboot is based on. 

And I saw this the other day:  https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/29/entertainment/michael-fishman-son-death/index.html

Edited by ItsHelloPattiagain
added link
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

They weren't worth remembering. I don't give two shits about hearing what they're doing.

But baby Jerry was so fat and cute!

I get this family shit a bit too; for instance, I am often the one they forget to call re. events and stuff and then it becomes my fault for not being interested or something (I'm also the one people call for money somehow, so they do have my numbers--and yet, I get to be the "unsupportive" one if some drama happens. Ugh).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Lorna Mae said:

I was also the “jerry”, being 10, 13 and 16 years younger. My father died when I was 16 and my mother told me, “your father really wanted another child”

you can imagine how comforting that was at that moment.....

• Love 1

I'm the Jerry sibs 20,19, 16, 10 years older than me.   The big ones were gone by the time I was 3 and my younger older brother and I were closer because he hated being the youngest and hoped I'd save him from that.  But he's still the one they consider the baby and I'm just me.   I didn't feel as left out as a kid, I was always included in big family events and always at the adult table.  But as an adult none of their childhood experiences include me so they just don't think of me.  My sisters talk to each other every day.  They talk to me once a month, or so.   We do play 20 questions via group text once a day and I'm included on that but I started it.  Today during the game everybody was casually talking about how my niece was doing after surgery like... um?  Huh?!?!?!

I quit watching by the time Jerry was born but I remember Andy and he was such a HUGE part of Jackie's story that I do think changing him is an odder choice.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I get this family shit a bit too; for instance, I am often the one they forget to call re. events and stuff and then it becomes my fault for not being interested or something (I'm also the one people call for money somehow, so they do have my numbers--and yet, I get to be the "unsupportive" one if some drama happens. Ugh).

Heh...Have you ever pointed that out to them?

Sorry to hear of all the nonsense you guys get from your families! But it does make me feel better, knowing I'm not the only one.

--------------------------------------------

Was also going to say, could be that the costumes Ben was wearing might once have been Dan's. They're both large guys, and it would be a passing of the torch. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

The reason I don't care about Andy and Jerry is because, when the show ended they were still pre-verbal infants with no discernible personalities. It's hard to miss something that was never really "there".

Getting back to this, you've nailed it. At the time of the reboot, I was interested to see what DJ had been up to, because the original series ended with him wanting to be a filmmaker. (And what happened to that? 9/11, maybe, but we don't know.) I was also curious about what A&J would look and sound like, but for the novelty of it, not because I had a frame of reference. 

Also, what Patti said: Andy's absence makes it appear that Jackie has left no footprint.

ETA because see how little they resonate?

Edited by Lorna Mae
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, Lorna Mae said:

Getting back to this, you've nailed it. At the time of the reboot, I was interested to see what DJ had been up to, because the original series ended with him wanting to be a filmmaker. (And what happened to that? 9/11, maybe, but we don't know.) I was also curious about what A&J would look and sound like, but for the novelty of it, not because I had a frame of reference. 

Also, what Patti said: Jerry's absence makes it appear that Jackie has left no footprint.

I think you mean Andy. The truth is, you have plenty of room to add in stories of how the characters were if they were infants. I mean, even on Murphy Brown brief reboot. They had Avery following in his mother's footsteps, never knew his father and was dealing with the ethics of being a modern day journalist vs. what his family taught him. It was a great look and conflict for the characters. I mean hearing throw away lines like: "Jerry is on a fishing boat" and Jackie completely: "Kid, ex husband? What are talking about? I Fucking hate my mother and I have to latch and suck the life out of everyone because my sister is dead." 

• Love 4
On 10/29/2020 at 12:10 PM, TWP said:

I only hope that the rest of Hollywood learn from The Connors that rehashing the pandemic as a form of "entertainment" is going to leave their ratings in tatters.  The pandemic is horrible in so many ways.  If we want to see those ways and we aren't daily experiencing them ourselves, we can watch the news. The whole idea of television fictional shows is escape from reality, not to have it thrown in our face yet again.  I could not get past 5 minutes, even though last year I found the show somewhat tolerable.  If the producers happen to read this, I'm not coming back, and please let this be a lesson to the rest of your shows, LOL. It's really okay on fictional television to pretend one of the especially bad horrors of life doesn't exist.  It really is.  

I don't even mind it being "there"...but I hope it's not going to be a huge focus every episode. They can show them heading out of the house with a mask in hand, or reference the kids doing remote school or something, while the main focus of the story is on other things. I have no desire to see Mark's story to be all about him harassing people about what CDC guidelines they're not following to his liking this week.

Add me to the folks bothered by the masks at work. I work at a warehouse, and the warehouse workers have to wear masks at all times unless they're eating lunch. I'm in the office (and rarely go out to the warehouse itself), and I can take it off at my desk, but if I get up to go anywhere, or someone comes over to talk to me, I have to put it back on.

Also...how long was DJ "out of town"? That phrase generally suggests (in my mind, at least) being away at least overnight. If he was just working his normal hours (even if they are longer than they used to be) I would think he'd just say "while I was at work."

Can someone tell me what the line about the mailbox was? Sounds like it was at the end and I was watching on demand and I don't want to rewatch the whole thing (no fast-forward). I totally missed it, apparently. (Also I'm not convinced the playback didn't cut something off at the end because it just went to a black screen and didn't go back to the menu screen like normal.)

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Can someone tell me what the line about the mailbox was? Sounds like it was at the end and I was watching on demand and I don't want to rewatch the whole thing (no fast-forward). I totally missed it, apparently. 

It wasn't in the tag, it was the end of the discussion in the kitchen between Darlene and Dan.  She said she hopes people don't get discouraged from voting, and he said he didn't get discouraged; he filled out his ballot and dropped it on the ground right where the mailbox used to be.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It wasn't in the tag, it was the end of the discussion in the kitchen between Darlene and Dan.  She said she hopes people don't get discouraged from voting, and he said he didn't get discouraged; he filled out his ballot and dropped it on the ground right where the mailbox used to be.

Thanks! I guess I got a little distracted during that scene.

The Andy thing bugs me because he was such a huge part of Jackie growing up in the original series. Jerry had almost no effect on the other characters, so I'm fine with him being erased.

Now Jackie is just the wacky old spinstress. It feels unnecessarily cruel.

• Love 5

Add me to the list of those who mind Andy's existence being retconned more than Jerry's. After how important story surrounding Jackie's pregnancy was on the original show during season 6, it just feels like a cop out to me.

Then again, the specter of Wacky Jackie only peaked after his birth, which is definitely a point against him being brought back.

Michael Fishman proved in this episode that he can bring it when given the chance to do so. I thought he was great, very natural, especially when he started tearing up. Knowing that his son died now, I wonder if that may have influenced him and his acting in that scene.

Once again, I got nervous when DJ & Mary hugged. I know this is a family, but these are still actors trying to portray a family during a pandemic, and...well, they're NOT related in real life, I can't help but be concerned, just as I was when Dan & Louise hugged in the episode before this. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see this show again, but I see how case numbers are only getting higher and I wonder if it's really worth it. A TV show is not an essential business, after all.

...And now that I brought the room down, I'll close with saying that Ben's insistence that Mark and Mary take all the brownies because no other kids were coming by was great! I loved the towel puppet, too (and to whoever asked: I think that was Becky doing its voice). 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 9
29 minutes ago, UYI said:

Add me to the list of those who mind Andy's existence being retconned more than Jerry's. After how important the story surrounding Jackie's pregnancy was during season 6, it just feels like a cop out to me.

Then again, Wacky Jackie only peaked after his birth, which is definitely point against him being brought back.

Michael Fishman proved in this episode that he can bring it when given the chance to do so. I thought he was great, very natural, especially when he started tearing up. Knowing that his son died now, that may have influenced him.

Once again, I got nervous when DJ & Mary hugged. I know this is a family, but these are still actors trying to portray a family during a pandemic, and...well, they're NOT related in real life, I can't help nut be concerned, just as I was when Dan & Louise hugged in the episode before this. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see this show again, but I see how case numbers are only getting higher and I wonder if it's really worth it. A TV show is not an essential business, after all.

...And now that I brought the room down, I'll close with saying that Ben's insistence that Mark and Mary take all the brownies because no other kids were coming by was great! I loved the towel puppet, too (and to whoever asked: I think that was Becky doing its voice). 

Yes, it was Becky the Towel Puppet.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Having watched the episode, all I’m wondering is where the hell is Gina in all of this? I find it hard to believe, even if she isn’t currently at home, that she wouldn’t have a problem with Mary being left up to her own devices while DJ works. Not to mention Gina herself should have family nearby, being a Lanford native. Has Gina basically gone the way of Andy and Jerry? They’ve really dropped the ball on DJ’s storyline and family.

• Love 5

I don’t mind Jerry not being on the show, he was only a baby, so it’s not like his character added much to the show.  Andy, himself, didn’t add anything either, but you can say his birth on Jackie did.  Either way there wasn’t much to remember about either character.  I wouldn’t care if they mentioned they existed but don’t really need them on the show, unless one or both of them would be shown having a somewhat decent life.  Otherwise, they’d probably have two more non-paying people living in Dan’s house. I wish Jackie would go back to the toned down Jackie.  Honestly, they barely give DJ anything to do and he was on there for years.  I wish they would split the time/storylines more evenly amongst the three kids.  For me it’s way too much Darlene.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, HeySandyStrange said:

Having watched the episode, all I’m wondering is where the hell is Gina in all of this? 

I think she's supposed to be on duty somewhere overseas (IIRC, the reason we haven't seen her in awhile is because the actress who plays her has a regular role on another show, too). 

ETA: I just realized you mentioned her not being at home, but I could see, given the time difference/how busy she must be, why she might not know about any of this. Doesn't make it right, really, but it would track, at least to me, if that's why she hasn't been brought up in all of this. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, UYI said:

I think she's supposed to be on duty somewhere overseas (IIRC, the reason we haven't seen her in awhile is because the actress who plays her has a regular role on another show, too). 

ETA: I just realized you mentioned her not being at home, but I could see, given the time difference/how busy she must be, why she might not know about any of this. Doesn't make it right, really, but it would track, at least to me, if that's why she hasn't been brought up in all of this. 

I don’t mind that Gina maybe doesn’t know about the full situation and all (though, as former military, I know it’s hard, but not impossible for service members to keep up with their families while deployed) it just would’ve been nice for the show to give us a line or some acknowledgement of Gina. They made it seem like DJ is a single father with no other parent anywhere. It just seemed weird to me.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, HeySandyStrange said:

I don’t mind that Gina maybe doesn’t know about the full situation and all (though, as former military, I know it’s hard, but not impossible for service members to keep up with their families while deployed) it just would’ve been nice for the show to give us a line or some acknowledgement of Gina. They made it seem like DJ is a single father with no other parent anywhere. It just seemed weird to me.

They mentioned Geena - when Darlene comes up with her brilliant idea to up and take Mary, she tells Becky, "Until Geena gets back, we have to move her into the house."

• Love 9

Nobody has mentioned this but it's something I noticed immediately on E01.  I think the kid playing Mark has had an incredible growth spurt since we last saw him.  Hi looks like a tall, thin giant now.  When I first saw him I didn't recognize him.  Can anyone who still has the show on DVR validate this?  Maybe I'm seeing things.  (Wouldn't be the first time.)

• Love 3

How old is Mary supposed to be? I figured her to be around 8, which is too young to virtually be living by herself while DJ is "out of town" or even working late. I was an independent kid, both my parents worked at what was essentially the business next door so I was on my own a lot in spite of having siblings who I wasn't that close to. Didn't really bother me a whole lot BUT that is a whole lot different than being in a house completely alone at that age with both dad & mom gone (if DJ's voice mail is full, how could Mary contact him if there was an emergency?).  I don't know, I don't have kids myself so maybe I'm being to fussbudgety about this. It just doesn't seem safe to me. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, littlepaw said:

How old is Mary supposed to be? I figured her to be around 8, which is too young to virtually be living by herself while DJ is "out of town" or even working late. I was an independent kid, both my parents worked at what was essentially the business next door so I was on my own a lot in spite of having siblings who I wasn't that close to. Didn't really bother me a whole lot BUT that is a whole lot different than being in a house completely alone at that age with both dad & mom gone (if DJ's voice mail is full, how could Mary contact him if there was an emergency?).  I don't know, I don't have kids myself so maybe I'm being to fussbudgety about this. It just doesn't seem safe to me. 

Another thing is, while Dan and Rosanne were working a lot during the series, the kids had other things to do such as: sports, scouts, clubs, ect. I get it's different times, but really to have DJ act so: "huh what?" Just doesn't make sense. 

• Love 3

Michael Fishman brought his A game last night.  He was perfect at being incandescently pissed off at his family, but keeping it grittedly in check because #1 that's what DJ's always had to do, hold it in because ain't nobody got time for him in that family; #2 he's still figuring out the situation; #3 because he didn't want to scare his child; and #4 he's feeling guilty because Mary is indeed getting a bit neglected.  His scene with Mary, when she told him she wanted to stay at the house was also powerful.

And DJ is right to be pissed off and seething.  The rest of the family is wrong to think it isn't a big deal and question his anger.  Taking a swift inventory, he's really the only member of the family who is doing well.  He's got a job, but more than that, he's had a recent promotion.  He has a wife he loves very much who is unfortunately away from him and Mary because of her job.  So they're a double income family right there with their own place to live.  Is he truly neglectful of Mary?   How temporary was the situation? 

Sure, they left a couple of voicemails, and yes, they are family.  But the family was very highhanded and manipulative in essentially kidnapping Mary.  These should not be decisions made in a rush.  They need to spend more than an afternoon trying to talk it over with DJ.  I get it, this is a sitcom and the plot needs to move along, but in reality I'd hope that such family issues would be resolved by taking a lot more time and having a lot more discussion.

That said, I thought the episode was also well directed with good quirky bits so applause for Michael Fishman there as well!

So far as the over-the-top Halloweens the Connors have always had......I just look at those as inexplicable Hollywood schtick.  Even in the old series, when there were jobs and money, there is no way the family could have afforded all those decorations and elaborate sets and costumes.  No way.  So continuing that is fine, it is just a one-off blip of an anomaly that makes no sense.

I don't understand Ben.  When we first met him, he was successful and had it all together.  Then he gets involved with Darlene, and everything unraveled.  He seemed smart, so gambling his life and all his assets on the new magazine in this day and age was just dumb.  The Ben we first met would have known that was not going to be possible.  The Ben we first met would be telling Darlene, "I love you, but my future needs to be in the city where I have possibilities of employment.  I'm looking at lots of possibilities.  I don't want to take you from your family, but you've got to understand the reality."  That Ben would never have contemplated having a baby with Darlene when they have no money and are living in that overstuffed ratty house.  I liked that Ben.  I do not like this Ben. 

• Love 8
On 11/12/2020 at 8:22 AM, readster said:

while Dan and Rosanne were working a lot during the series, the kids had other things to do such as: sports, scouts, clubs, ect. I get it's different times, but really to have DJ act so: "huh what?" Just doesn't make sense. 

Back in the day, I'm sure we all walked or rode our bikes to our activities. I remember multiple times listening to Becky and Darlene talk about taking the bus places. Plus there was lots of family around that didn't all work 9-5 jobs to give rides when needed. 

And HurricaneVal is totally on point. DJ did deserve to be pissed off. He was the youngest in the family (except for Ghost Baby Jerry) and they treated him like he was the bratty little kid. It's like the "adult unit" in the family was Dan, Becky and Darlene with some Spinster Jackie thrown in, even though DJ was in the military and is married (so he was obviously smart enough to do that). That doesn't mean that Mary doesn't need adult supervision - my kids had some latchkey friends growing up and even if they are capable, it's nice to have a mom (or dad) adult figure making sure you didn't forget your house key or bringing you a snack when giving you a ride to sports. And Mary is at a vulnerable age right now. 

• Love 4

I felt bad for DJ, (that scene was actually pretty moving) but also felt Mary was better off with them instead of alone. The living situation is ridiculous though, I know they had to come up with a way for them all to live together during the pandemic, but where are they all sleeping? Jackie is also staying there right? 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, summitsw said:

I felt bad for DJ, (that scene was actually pretty moving) but also felt Mary was better off with them instead of alone. The living situation is ridiculous though, I know they had to come up with a way for them all to live together during the pandemic, but where are they all sleeping? Jackie is also staying there right? 

I don't know if Jackie is actually living with the Conners.  I've lost track of where Bev is supposed to be living: still with Jackie in her apartment, or on a trip somewhere?

• Love 2
On 10/29/2020 at 7:51 AM, qtpye said:

DJ seems to be doing well ( I hope he is not having an affair) and maybe does not want his kid to spend time with sisters who never particularly liked him and have not made the best choices in life.

I hope they follow up on this because a storyline about DJ doing well for himself and his immediately family while the rest of his family keeps struggling would be super interesting. Like not being rich but make it so they can pay their bills and buy new clothes and have a few nice things stuff like that. And if he got a promotion at work that could make sense, especially since his wife is deployed somewhere which my understanding usually means a bump in salary. How would the rest of the family respond to that.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I hope they follow up on this because a storyline about DJ doing well for himself and his immediately family while the rest of his family keeps struggling would be super interesting. Like not being rich but make it so they can pay their bills and buy new clothes and have a few nice things stuff like that. And if he got a promotion at work that could make sense, especially since his wife is deployed somewhere which my understanding usually means a bump in salary. How would the rest of the family respond to that.

I agree and it would make such a great story. Even brining up his PSTD in the military and going: "Well, Dad unlike you, I didn't just give up and go back to old habits that didn't work. I did my best to do better for my family and not blow things on get rich schemes or take vacations that could wait." 

• Love 4
On 12/30/2020 at 9:41 AM, readster said:

I agree and it would make such a great story. Even brining up his PSTD in the military and going: "Well, Dad unlike you, I didn't just give up and go back to old habits that didn't work. I did my best to do better for my family and not blow things on get rich schemes or take vacations that could wait." 

The more that I think about it this would be a super interesting thing to deal with. I mean I don't know entirely how things work in the US but with DJ's wife serving in the military they would have a steady income just from that. Plus I think him, his wife and his daughter would also have health insurance which would also give them a huge advantage over everyone living in Dan's house.

• Love 2