Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E07: Villains Night

• Start Topic

Really, Carrie-Ann? You're going to attribute Nev's good dance ability to his dad taking him to and introducing him the ballet and not his five plus years dance experience and when he majored in dance in college?

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 17

Do they not want us to actually hear Tyra when she does the intro?

When I heard him say Maneater for a second I thought it was gonna be Hall & Oates. (That song always scared me when I was little (it came out when I was 7...I just googled and it was released on Halloween 1982). I've played music at night since I was pretty young and it always kept me awake if it came on when I was trying to fall asleep.)

Jeannie's red eyes freaked me out.

You'd think if there was any sport where you could be gay it'd be skating. (Love Johnny's mom's response to that.)

AJ! Spoilers!

I read about Cheryl's accident and I just knew they were gonna make us watch it multiple times. (I still cringe just thinking about the time Kym fell on her neck and then they made us watch it so many times.)

I liked Nev's Black Swan Paso but I could hardly see him for half of it.

Finally, a character where Skai's fixed expression works! I knew Argentine Tango would be good for them with the lifts, given her tiny frame, but her Bambi legs kinda ruin the look.

Sorry, I had a hard time taking the Cruella da Ville dance seriously...Artem in a Dalmatian puppy print suit just made me giggle.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Do we really need a big intro for Tyra every time?  Last I heard this show was about the dancers, not the host?  

I wanted either Monica or Chrishell to go, so we are halfway there.

• Love 9

I still do not care for Skai's dancing. She looks scared and stiff all the time. 

I love watching Artem dance.

I usually don't care for Jenna but that Black Swan dance was pretty awesome.

That Chrishell got 9s for that mess of a dance is ridiculous. Stop trying to make Gleb happen!

... it's so fortuitous that each celeb got the Halloween movie that they absolutely love!

Best part of the night was scared by Sasha. Also Sasha's being thrown around by Justina's Carrie. Good use of his gymnastic talent.

This season is altogether lackluster and I can't tell if it's the covid precautions or the talent. 

• Love 10

Had a feeling Monica would be the one leaving given the judges' general comments about her dance tonight and her lower scores. But I wasn't expecting it to be a split decision. I personally rather liked her dance, but yeah, I can see where she may not have stood out as much. 

But wow, tonight's dances were so good and fun. I loved Johnny's, I agree with the whole thing about the gothic nature of it, and at the end when he pulled Britt into his arms, I was like, "...I would watch a vampire movie featuring those two." Also, good on his mom for her response to that shitty agent. 

Justina's dance was so fun, too, and I loved how INTO it she was 😄 (and the stuff with her "pulling" Sasha and the powers and whatnot was so fun and cool). And Nev's was great as well. Chrishell, Skai (that Billie Eilish song worked really well for her dance), Nelly, and Jeannie's were quite entertaining, too. Yeah. Just a good show all around. And I loved the costumes and makeup. 

I also love Bruno dressed up as Beetlejuice :D. And I just want to say I really like the song "Disturbia". 

AJ's version of Norman Bates...it was weird to see Norman with a beard :p. His dance to the Psycho theme reminded me of this classic with Derek and Ricki Lake:

Gonna get even tougher from here on out, 'cause I like most everyone left to some degree or another. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

AJ's version of Norman Bates...it was weird to see Norman with a beard :p. 

For some reason I was amused by him in the Norman clothes still wearing Mother's earrings.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

So they really want me to buy that Derek was actually torn between saving Jeannie or Monica rather than just buying time because production wanted to put on a good show and end on a tie breaker, eh?

I was kinda bored this time around. I'm not a big fan of Hallowe'en theme night to begin with and thankfully we didn't have to sit through Team Dad Always Takes the Best Chocolates versus Team Toothbrush in the Candy Bucket team dances this year. But I kinda felt how Skai looks every week. Props to Tyra for that bit of unintended snark when she called Skai their "living doll", though - she was referencing the Tiffany character but really just said what we've been saying since the beginning. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Really, Carrie-Ann? You're going to attribute Nev's good dance ability to his dad taking him to and introducing him the ballet and not his five plus years dance experience and when he majored in dance in college?

It's such bull💩. The more they overhype him, they more I want him to go home. 

Sorry not sorry!

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 3

Who thought it was a good idea for have AJ wear one wig on top of another that fell off as soon as he started? He was going to yank it off and realized it was missing.

im happy Nelly is overall improving and someone get me his dentist’s number, but I felt he stomped around a bit too much.

I did enjoy Nev’s dance a lot. But it adds to the ringer label which means it’s going to be an easy win or the surprise boot because people think he has the votes but didn’t. 

• Love 6

The makeup was incredible.  Derrick did really well with Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Quite entertaining actually. The costumes were excellent, including the judges. The couples did well without the troop this week because of the costumes, the themes, and frankly the dances/ choreography. The writing for Tyra was much better this week.

I love The Weeknd’s music.  I voted for Jeannie and Nev. Did you vote?  They don't seem to be encouraging votes maybe because it's only live voting and the West Coast can't participate so the voting is kind of stupid.

• Love 4

I LOL'd when it became clear the judges got the memo to be completely over Monica tonight and stop protecting her. Ironically, that was one of her better dances, but it was also a jazz, so that's not saying much.

Skai still does nothing for me, but tonight had to be Redemption 2.0.

• Love 2

Nelly is really growing on me. Would not have predicted that in the beginning of the season. I’m surprised none of the judges mentioned it was Monica’s second time in the bottom two. I recall comments being made in the past about not saving a couple twice. 

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

It wasn't a dance school and he only lasted one semester. Where is the bitterness that Justina was in a performance school all through high school and study dance there or the bachelorette having a dancing mom and dancing all her life. I think that no loving ballet helps him to want to achieve even more in his dance he clearly appreciate great lines and extensions.  I enjoy his dance and I'm going to vote for him not because I like anything in his background or know anything about him outside of his performance in the stupid little dance show. By the way I would have light longer feathers on his arms and better lighting so we could see the feathers. I did hate his bottom outfit made his legs look skinny and the rest I just didn't like but I love this dance. No fan of Jenna either.

8 minutes ago, nickp1991 said:

Nev Schulman trimmed his chest hair tonight for Black Swan. Add another 10 to that score

I claim it tonight, Nev will fully shave and or wax for the final and they will make a big deal out of it. If it's waxing I think it's a big deal.

• Love 6

Skai was a bit more tolerable this week, if only because she didn’t have her plastered on smile.

I like Nelly just fine, but he’s a bit stompy for me.  No way his scores should’ve been quite that high.  And his teeth distract me, sorry...they seem too big for his mouth and are so blindingly white.  When they did the 80s theme a few weeks ago, they were all I could look at.

I was stunned at Jeannie being in the bottom two.  Of everyone still in the competition, I look forward to her and AJ the most.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Who thought it was a good idea for have AJ wear one wig on top of another that fell off as soon as he started? He was going to yank it off and realized it was missing.

Oh, is that what happened? I laughed so hard seeing him try to rip the second wig off.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Kira53 said:

Nev will fully shave and or wax for the final and they will make a big deal out of it. If it's waxing I think it's a big deal.

Not must see tv, imo. It's already been done by Jonathan way back on season 4 in 2007. 😂

Edited by McManda
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, suebee1212 said:

Just one stupid little comment from me tonight! Am I the only person who thinks Monica sounds exactly like Cat Cora? I have thought that since the first night...told you it was a stupid little comment!!

She sure does!

Fun dances tonight.  Derek was a blast with his Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde stuff.  It’s getting hard to say bye to any of these dancers, but if I had to pick a least favorite, it’s Skai.  

• Love 8

This is the second week now where they’ve done scores after the break, and you’d think the host of the show would know. But no, we have the awkward “let’s get your scores!” .... long awkward pause .... “let’s get your scores after the break!” To be fair, she only did it once tonight instead of 3 or 4 times like last week. 😖

• Love 5

Said it before on here and after tonight I'll say it once again. Gleb has dirt on the producers of this show which demands he stays in the competition far longer than he should. It's the only way I can explain Chrishell's score tonight. I'm I being harsh? I mean her costume/makeup was great but the actual dancing (or lack of it) far less so...

I've honestly got no idea who will go next week. It's probably going to come down to scores/how memorable the dance is on the night. Chrishell has still not hit the bottom two, Jeannie hit it for the first time tonight. Skai does absolutely nothing for me, but has the kids voting for her based on last week's survival. Kaitlyn was in the bottom two on scores tonight which puts her in danger now (plus Artem ALWAYS goes home on double elimination night), Johnny has been the bottom two before. The only ones I'm fairly confident about not being in the bottom three next week (assuming that is how they will do it with the judges choosing to save one) is Nev, Nelly, AJ and Justina.

At this point I think the competition is Nev's to lose. He's starting to hit the high scores regularly, he's managed to cover up/gloss over his ringer status dance experience successfully enough to satisfy the majority of viewers, who are too busy going after Kaitlyn instead. Plus that chest hair trim can't have failed to have grabbed him a few extra votes! 🤣

• Love 3

I adore that Jeannie was Hannibel Lecter. Her routine was great.

It makes sense that paso doble translates to theatrical fight scenes, but it's still not something I expected. Great night for paso doble. 

The telekinesis effects were amazing! I do feel like it's a bit of a cheat that Justina gets the wow factor when Sasha's ability is what made it happen. But she sold the heck out of everything. She has beautiful hands, too. People talk about feet more than hands, but graceful hands are so compelling.

Skai's legs are so brittle. At least, she wasn't uncomfortable to watch this week, though. It was nice costuming and choreography.

• Love 2

Opening:

Jeannie's paso doble:

Johnny's Viennese waltz:

Chrishell's paso doble:

Monica's jazz:

AJ's tango:

Nelly's Argentine tango:

Justina's tango:

Nev's paso doble:

Skai's Argentine tango:

Kaitlyn's paso doble:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

What I really enjoy about Jeannie is how she isn't afraid to throw herself into the dances and really attack them. She might not always get all the details perfect, but I love that she isn't one of those timid celebs with tentative movements.

This was one of Johnny's better dances. He had some lovely lines. Halfway through the dance, someone needed to tell the fog machine guy to calm the hell down. I could barely see their heads above all the fog. Hated this cover of Creep though.

Speaking of shitty covers, I also hated the awful cover of In the Air for Chrishell's Maleficent paso doble. In addition, way too much faffing about at the beginning. I know she's not a great dancer, but she literally just stood there for about the first 30 seconds. If you're going to have filler at the beginning, can we at least pretend she's dancing? Her body positions are so awkward. I should give her some credit though because it was obvious that she was trying really hard to be aggressive and have strong body language in this dance, which was a nice change.

I was impressed by Monica's fan kick at the beginning of her jazz routine. She also had some good lines in this routine which makes me think that she had a lot more potential and needed Val to give her more specific feedback and to push her some more. On a shallow note, I hated her shiny costume. The dress itself was okay but the shiny material made it look like a super cheap costume you would buy on amazon for $20.

I'm glad that Nelly is obviously more relaxed now and is having more fun but he is still a pretty terrible dancer. If you just watch his feet in this tango, you will see just how little he actually danced. He stood in one place, turned in a circle while holding his partner, did about five seconds of moving his feet, planted his feet in place for another ten seconds, turned in another circle while holding his partner, etc.

Justina's Carrie tango was not my favorite performance from her, but I continue to love how game she is to attack these dances.

Nev's Black Swan paso was a cool concept (and I liked that it wasn't one of the typical horror movie/villain choices) but it was definitely not one of his better performances. The feather knickers were unflattering to his lines and drew attention to his stompy feet. Likewise, being shirtless drew attention to his posture and his arm positions and highlighted whenever they weren't good.

Skai's Argentine tango was not great. Any costume that shows her awkward Bambi legs is a big miss for me. This week she had several instances where her legs were supposed to be straight but her knees were slightly bent and her feet weren't pointed, both of which I found very distracting (and that's on top of her usual Bambi leg issues). But at least she had more dance content than Nelly.

For all of Kaitlyn's years of dance training, I'm always surprised at how average her dancing is. You'd think that someone with so much dance experience would have gorgeous lines, clean technique, and beautiful arms but she usually ends up looking like the average younger female celeb who isn't totally uncoordinated but also isn't a standout. That skirt camouflaged some of her okay but not great leg movement. On the plus side, this was the most in character I can remember seeing her. She was really into it, especially in the beginning.

Of all the celebs who are left, Nelly is by far the weakest dancer but he's getting by on his personality. Chrishell will probably be the next to go though, which is fine with me because she is definitely at the bottom of the pack in terms of both dancing and performance.

• Love 5

I think Jeannie's character actually worked against her in the voting.  I really liked the dance and she shouldn't have been in the bottom two, but I wonder how many were turned off by Hannibal.  It was probably a poor choice to start the evening off with, it's a family show after all.

I think the right person went home.  Monica was never terribly likeable but Val is also a hard coach, she may have tempered her personality based on that.

Chrishell should probably go home next, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Johnny.  He still has his skater feet so he stomps around the floor while having lovely arms.

Cheryl seems to be in pain, that was a hard fall, I hope she's ok.

Skai should also be sent home, with it being a double elimination next week.  I don't get the impression she's having any fun and she always looks scared dancing.  All Alan did was spin her around in lifts this week.

Kaitlyn is a good dancer, it's a shame that she's paired with Artem who's not used to a "star" that can dance.  I suspect she's also high maintenance...

• Love 2

What weird scores last night. A lot of them were too high.

1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

I'll say it: I don't like Kaitlyn's dancing. She has the most experience of anyone there, yet she is the only one (besides Skai) who looks like she's counting the steps in her head.

Actually, Nev has the most experience out of everyone there (I think he was dancing since was a kid and kept dancing into his college years) but Kaitlyn still has more experience than others. I do agree that she's just been average but still better than some of the others this season. I do not mind her dancing at all. She's able to deliver what she's given and I do like her partnership with Artem. This dance was fantastic in terms of her being in character, but it wasn't my favourite. I don't think she's bad, though. She IS able to dance. I think Artem just needs to push her a little more. She really is a good dancer; she's just not the greatest dancer, and that's fine! 

Nev and Jenna's dance night WAS really good, I'll give them that. But I think that attributes to Nev's dance experience. Still, it was the best of the night and I could see him winning.

I'm gonna say it; Chrishell's dance last night was awful. It was NOWHERE near 9 levels. It should have been three 7s. It was, once again, a lot of walking around and Gleb leading her while also dancing around her. The fact that Monica got a 7 and Chrishell didn't is atrocious. Monica's jazz had a lot more content than Chrishell's Paso. I completely blame Gleb who, once again, shows zero trust in his partner to be able to do more complex moves and continues giving her such basic stuff while masking it with him twirling around her. It's fine that she's not a good dancer but he hasn't shown me that he's been trying to teach her. Chrishell has been trying and I do think she could be getting better if she had a partner who actually could teach her and trust her. 

Jeannie is fantastic. I have really been enjoying her dances with Brandon. That being said, her dance last night was not very strong. I didn't get a ferocity in a Paso that should have been there, so I'm fine with her scores. But she does put in her all and that's why I hope she makes the finale. 

Johnny's dance last night was so good. I am impressed with his own improvement and I really like Britt's choreography.

Nelly has been improving bit by bit but he is still a weak dancer. I think what helped with this dance was Daniella's ability to mask his moves, but she did what Gleb has been doing with Chrishell (putting in less effort with the celeb dancing and making the pro dance a whole lot more). The difference is that we've seen that Nelly can dance with particular styles. The Tango just isn't one of them. 

AJ's dance was so so good. It was clearly a difficult dance and AJ did the very best job he could have. I'm a bit bitter at his scores, though. He was underscored by a point. Again, if Chrishell and Nelly can get 9s for their dances, then AJ should have gotten an additional 9 to match Nelly's. I get AJ went before Nelly, but still.

Skai really hit her mark last night for me. It felt like she was finally out of her head and into the dance. I even noticed that she was starting to match up with Alan's height instead of how I've been feeling the past few weeks with her height difference with him. She still has a lot more work to put in but it was better this week for me.

Justina is always a joy to see because she puts in 110% most weeks (except for that one week) but this dance was not my favourite of hers. It was ok and I felt like she could have put more intensity into it.

No surprise Monica went home but c'mon, producers. You mean to tell me that Derek was torn between Jeannie and Monica and it WASN'T for dramatic effect? I definitely felt like Derek wanted to save Jeannie but he was told that this was the week for the split vote. And that's not because Monica is a bad dancer, but more that Jeannie is more entertaining. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Kira53 said:

It wasn't a dance school and he only lasted one semester. Where is the bitterness that Justina was in a performance school all through high school and study dance there or the bachelorette having a dancing mom and dancing all her life.

At least they admitted they had dance training. Why won't he?

9 hours ago, Emily-D said:

Said it before on here and after tonight I'll say it once again. Gleb has dirt on the producers of this show which demands he stays in the competition far longer than he should. It's the only way I can explain Chrishell's score tonight. I'm I being harsh? I mean her costume/makeup was great but the actual dancing (or lack of it) far less so...

I'm willing to bet that she's the next Bachelorette

I really wish they could play the original music with these dances . The cover songs are really not that good and in my opinion is affecting the dancers . 
Nelly doesn’t do much during the dances and Is way overscored to me . And he seems to dislike all of the others . When the dances are over , he doesn’t clap and looks pretty miserable . 
Nev and AJ had the best dances of the night . 
I hated the cover to disturbia and Kaitlyn seems to have regressed in her dancing / performance as the competition is moving along . However , I think Carrie Ann did underscore her with this dance . 

This season is different in that no one is amazing but no one is bad . They’re all pretty middle of the pack which I enjoy more because you don’t know from episode 1 who is going to win and each week , you don’t know who is going home until they say it . 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

who looks like she's counting the steps in her head.

I think the latter part of that comment is the real issue with Kaitlyn - she's in her head.  She's not allowing herself to fully let go and trust that she knows the steps and just go for it. Instead she's thinking about the dance while she's performing it, likely thinking about making sure she remembers everything Artem said to her - e.g. remember to hold her arms this way and her legs this way. And that's causing the dance to lack the attack and delivery it needs. Bottom line is Kaitlyn just doesn't have enough confidence in her own ability. And the more Carrie Ann calls her out, I feel like the more she's going to become even more in her head. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm glad that Nelly is obviously more relaxed now and is having more fun but he is still a pretty terrible dancer. If you just watch his feet in this tango, you will see just how little he actually danced. He stood in one place, turned in a circle while holding his partner, did about five seconds of moving his feet, planted his feet in place for another ten seconds, turned in another circle while holding his partner, etc.

For all of Kaitlyn's years of dance training, I'm always surprised at how average her dancing is. You'd think that someone with so much dance experience would have gorgeous lines, clean technique, and beautiful arms but she usually ends up looking like the average younger female celeb who isn't totally uncoordinated but also isn't a standout. 

I love Nelly, but yeah, that dance was overscored.  That was one of quite a few times I yelled "Are you HIGH??" at the judges.  I had to laugh, though, at the juxtaposition of his big, bright smile and his Freddie Krueger getup.  Freddie obviously does not have the same dentist Nelly does.

Kaitlyn is all over the media expressing her "shock" over low scores last night, and I'm over here like, "Mmm, yeahhh...I fast-forwarded through half of that because it was boring.  Have a seat."

AJ's tango was FIRE! (Is that what the kids say these days?)  There was a LOT of content there, and I held my breath during the move Cheryl went down on in rehearsal.  I got to hand it to her, it takes some iron balls to keep that in the program.  He's still a little hunchy in his posture, but has very quick feet.  

So many good programs last night; I liked AJ, Nev, Johnny, Justina, and Jeannie. Chrishelle and Kaitlyn (or Skai) can leave next, mmkay bye-bye. 

• Love 1

To me, Nev is so much better than everyone else, and his dances are so good I definitely want him in the finals. I enjoy watching Nelly as well, even though he isn't near as good as Nev.

I really thought AJ and Kaitlyn would be better. They are good, but they don't "wow" me and I forget their dances after the show is over. Johnny's dancing is pretty. I don't know if he's the best, but I'd like to see him in the finals, even thought I doubt he is going to make it past next week.

Chrishell is horrible, but the producers have an agenda, so...

• Love 3

I'm glad that Nelly is obviously more relaxed now and is having more fun but he is still a pretty terrible dancer. If you just watch his feet in this tango, you will see just how little he actually danced. He stood in one place, turned in a circle while holding his partner, did about five seconds of moving his feet, planted his feet in place for another ten seconds, turned in another circle while holding his partner, etc

This. Sometimes I think I must be watching a different show because I though Nelly was terrible. He's very stompy and did very little actual dancing in the Argentine Tango. He mostly just stood there while Daniella twirled around him.

I also thought AJ was overscored. His posture is terrible and he just doesn't do well in the Latin dances. (To be fair, I think the theme from Psycho is a terrible piece of music to try to dance to.)

I was also distracted by all of the color contacts they made the dancers wear. That had to be hard on the dancers too. Those things are not comfortable, especially if you are not used to wearing contacts. 

And once again, Tyra rushes the judges comments, telling them they're running out of time, but then she has plenty of time herself to ask the celebrity some inane question. The producers of this show needs to be fired.

• Love 6

The good:

Justina continues to impress me, especially last week and this week when her dances called for different emotions/energy than the first couple of weeks.  

I enjoyed Skai’s dance this week, which I’ve not said previously.  Between the intensity of the dance, the makeup, and the creepy contacts, her facial expressions (or lack thereof) didn’t bug me nearly as much this week.

Wardrobe and makeup went all out last night!

The rest:

It must’ve been the contrast with his amazing Freddy makeup, but this is the first week I’ve really noticed Nelly’s teeth and smile.  I’ve liked watching his building enthusiasm but his actual dancing is still middle-of-the-pack or lower.  I kept thinking of the teeth-bleaching episode of Friends.

I had to re-watch Johnny’s dance a couple of times, the last on mute.  The fog was shoulder-high in a couple of spots and the lighting shined right into the camera.  The arrangement of “Creep” was atrocious.

Derek hamming it up with the Jekyll/Hyde act didn’t work for me.  His commentary was, as usual, good and constructive.

Tyra’s first dress looked like it had two wind-broken umbrellas attached to it.  And Val looked like he was dressed like Mose Schrute from The Office.

• Love 3

Regarding Tyra, I mostly fast forward her but the times I have caught her interviewing the contestants it’s been awful. It seems that she asks them a question that was literally answered in the preceding clip package. Ugh. I miss Tom. 

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, angelamh66 said:

Regarding Tyra, I mostly fast forward her but the times I have caught her interviewing the contestants it’s been awful. It seems that she asks them a question that was literally answered in the preceding clip package. 

She does that a lot. Or she goes back to some emotional note from the package and says "how did it feeeeeel to dance blah blah?" That's when I dive for the mute button.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

How can this be "E11"?

I'm viewing a different show from y'all, because I tape it and then watch only Johnny Weir. I have been a fan since forever!

You are right!  Last week's episode was #6.  That must be a typo or something.

I think Justina's scores were fair for the tango dance, but the performance factor was an 11. I absolutely loved the tele-kinetic effects! 

I didn't think Chrishell's dance was that horrible, but it was very, very basic compared to some of the other pasos we've seen. I think she did fine with what she was expected to do. I don't think they deserved 9s based on the relative simplicity of the dance compared to others with more content.

Honestly, I think Monica had a disadvantage going into this as her dance was the only dance that was not a dramatic dance like the Tango, Paso Doble, or Argentine Tango. There was one other that had a V. Waltz which worked, but otherwise how in the hell does Jazz work with Villains night?

• Love 4

Johnny and Britt's dance was my fave of the night.  I love Justine and Sasha so much 🙂  Nelly is improving but I agree that his teeth are distractingly white...AJ...I'm surprised at how much I am really enjoying him and Cheryl.  I love Skai Jackson...but she just looks like such a child out there with adults...maybe if Derek had been her dancing partner, he could have worked better with her.  Just my unsolicited two cents 😛

Edited by mizzhyer
  • Love 1