Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 10/26/2020

TheView
  • Start Topic

32 minutes ago, AryasMum said:

Maybe a Baby Liberty appearance. How will Libby be costumed - Uncle Sam, the flag, or the obvious Statue of Liberty?

and don't forget a little hunting rifle hooked on her belt

• Love 6

I woke up at the end of the show. I was thinking of watching it later, but remembering that Weiss woman was there, maybe not. It might be worth it to see Sunny and Whoopi giving her a smackdown though, lol.

2 hours ago, OnTime said:

No Joy, no Ana and Bari Weiss. 

Does someone really hate us?

Oh, nevermind, I assumed Joy was there.

I enjoyed today's show. Maybe it's because as much as I like Joy on the show, I've grown tired of her this season. It was nice to see her not there today, along with MeAgain.

Surprisingly, I did enjoy Bari on the panel. I thought she was a good fill-in host. I didn't see any tension between her and Whoopi, but certainly felt it between her and Sunny. No one really disagrees with Sunny (sometimes MeAgain) , but I think Bari did it in a very thoughtful, considerate way (made me see both sides of 'cancel culture' and 'packing the courts'). Sunny didn't like that - not one bit. She needs to be the smartest one in class.

John Meecham, as usual, was a very interesting guest. There was definitely a good balance to the show today - I could even tolerate the shilling of nail polish (is that what that was ?).

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, geekburger said:

It’s nice seeing someone push Whoopi on one of her incoherent views which led to Whoopi saying she didn’t think the American people deserve an answer caise they are used to it 😂

Yeah, Whoopi was nonsensical as usual.  First she says that Biden did answer that question, and as a matter of fact he answered it twice. Then 2 minutes later she says "you know why he didn't answer the question?  Because he doesn't have to!" Then added that Americans are used to having questions unanswered anyway. 

So which is it, Whoopi?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

Some people mistake criticism or indifference as being cancelled.  If someone doesn't like you they don't need to support you.  That doesn't mean they are cancelling you.  

Cancel culture applies more to celebrities.. They're literally unable to find a job in celebrity-dom once an unsavory act/tweet is revealed. I'm with Sara, some deserve it, some not so much.

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

The Black male support is exaggerated by the media. The majority of Black men of all ages as a voting bloc voted against him more so than any other male group in this country.  I get really chafe when people like Bari rely on Black media personalities like Charlemagne da god to speak for the Black community .  Black people are not a monolith but are usually politically astute and pragmatic when voting for their best interest..

We live in an age when someone hears or reads something that the media says with not a lot of proof backing it up and thinks it's true.  On the other hand we live in an age when someone hears or reads something that media says with a lot of proof backing it up and thinks it's fake news.

I don't like Bari Weiss and anything she says I'm going to think she is saying it because it fit's her world view.  Is she considered a journalist because she doesn't seem like someone who sees both sides?

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Mldyold said:

I wonder if there was a prep session between MM and Bari before the show.  We got the AOC squad in on the first topic and then a poll on black men for Trump on the second topic.  Although I find the responses from Bari are Meghanesque the difference is the tone and facial expressions.

Meghan is playing the Bill Geddie role in feeding talking points. LOL 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, OnTime said:

No Joy, no Ana and Bari Weiss. 

Does someone really hate us?

I find it ironic that Bari Weiss, who cancel-cultured herself, is so interested in others that have been cancelled by mistake.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, deirdra said:

I find it ironic that Bari Weiss, who cancel-cultured herself, is so interested in others that have been cancelled by mistake.

It seems like Bari Weiss wants us to think she is strong or something because she walked away from the NYT. To me it looks like she couldn't stand the heat and left the kitchen.

• Love 16
9 minutes ago, deirdra said:

Not to mention that she herself partook in this very culture, by trying to cancel multiple people who disagreed with her only to cancel herself when people pushed back.

I'm watching some of the clips off of YouTube, since I didn't watch the show aside from that cancel culture part, but I feel like the View might continue having Bari on. She talks more in a calm manner, but she's worse than Meghan IMO. But since Meghan isn't on, I expect to see her at least one more on the VIew.

• Love 11

I am okay with Sunny hating on Bari Weiss. (I was surprised BW didn't say AOC and Three, when she kept referring to those congresswomen.) Sunny mocked her when she quoted that poll and did the half spin in her chair again!

But I am not okay with Sunny's makeup today. I just finished watching all the Night at the Museum movies, and I thought Sunny's face resembled Sir Lancelot's when the wax started to melt his face. And then there's the caterpillar eyelashes.

chris kirkpatrick eyelashes GIF

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

Don’t agree with Bari on the Supreme Court discussion.  Yes, the republicans have actually been packing the lower federal courts for years.  Second, expanding the SC to 13 is not out of line...there are now 13 circuits and when it went to 9 justices there were 9 circuits, I believe.  So that fits.  I agree with Sunny that the court is expected to be more balanced just as she noted.  Historically democrats have not nominated extreme left justices...certainly progressive but not extreme.  As the panel has noted before, Barrett is pretty extreme, and some of the other right leaning justices are fairly to the right, though not as far right as she is.  Sunny was absolutely in her right to be annoyed by bari as bari’s points are basically only right wing talking points.  And Whoopie is right, Biden has answered the question...unlike the guy in the WH now, Biden plans to take a more thoughtful approach and look at the issue of expanding the court.  And expanding and packing are two different things.  I really hope bari doesn’t replace MM..and I really can’t believe I just said that!  If MM leaves, she should be replaced by a thoughtful conservative and not a talking point puppet.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 15
4 minutes ago, leftlane said:

I don't remember Whoopi being cancelled for 10 years. I wasn't sure what she was talking about when she said Barbara Walters was the only one who gave her a chance to have a career again.

I'm pretty sure Whoopi's career took a down-ward trend when she used obscene language referring to George Bush.  Also, people were upset with her when she convinced her then BF, Ted Danson(?), to go to a party with blackface.   Maybe somebody else has more details about the de-railing of Whoopi's career.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, leftlane said:

I don't remember Whoopi being cancelled for 10 years. I wasn't sure what she was talking about when she said Barbara Walters was the only one who gave her a chance to have a career again.

She was definitely referring to the Bush brouhaha.  That seems so quaint now.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, leftlane said:

It wasn't 10 years.  

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

The Bush thing happened in 2004 and she joined the View in 2007.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

True but the country was in a different place, any criticism of him was met with retribution, remember the Dixie chicks.  Whoopie had alienated the Black community with her boyfriend's blackface debacle.  So she must have felt alone after she and Ted broke up.  I remember she bitterly said in an interview that she was no longer Black enough for Black people,,

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

I always like when Rahm is on.  He calms my nerves and gives me a chuckle.  You know while i was watching the baseball game last night (congrats Ds!) Whenever they had to show a commercial they did basically a split screen with the game slightly smaller on the left and the ad on the right.  Just a thought lol

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 10/27/2020 at 10:01 AM, Medicine Crow said:

I think what The Whoopster was shooting for was "Like a fart in a wind storm" ... just sayin'.

Pee'ing in the wind. Or downwind. Something like that heh

On 10/27/2020 at 9:59 AM, mxmummy said:

That face she makes when she hates someone is apparent. She looks like she wants to claw Bari’s eyes out. 

Bari contested Sunny's  stmt first. Neiner Neiner! I like when Sunny rebuts hehheh.  Its always good for a smackdown

On 10/27/2020 at 9:31 AM, Triviatrish2 said:

Agree.  Bari is not a an asset to the show.  I have never liked her when she was on Bill Maher, and she certainly is not endearing herself, today.  Bad experiment, just put Ana on!

I second!

23 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Yeah, Whoopi was nonsensical as usual.  First she says that Biden did answer that question, and as a matter of fact he answered it twice. Then 2 minutes later she says "you know why he didn't answer the question?  Because he doesn't have to!" Then added that Americans are used to having questions unanswered anyway. 

So which is it, Whoopi?

I think it was both.  She replied for #1, but then came up with the witty repartee and couldn't resist the smackdown lol.  Think Top Gun, volleyball game, spike!  Hah!

12 hours ago, leftlane said:

I do.  There was awhile when the movies stopped coming and there was no more comedy specials.  I think it was Sister Act that was her big comeback wasnt it?

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, ForumLou said:

I do.  There was awhile when the movies stopped coming and there was no more comedy specials.  I think it was Sister Act that was her big comeback wasnt it?

No.  Ted Danson's blackface incident which Whoopi approved of happened in 1993.  There was a little bit of a backlash for Whoopi but it didn't really hurt her. She continued to make movies and do comedy.  It was in 2004 after the Bush thing that she didn't really work for a couple years.  And yes she did lose the Slimfast contract.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

True but the country was in a different place, any criticism of him was met with retribution, remember the Dixie chicks.  Whoopie had alienated the Black community with her boyfriend's blackface debacle.  So she must have felt alone after she and Ted broke up.  I remember she bitterly said in an interview that she was no longer Black enough for Black people,,

Yep, absolute praise was the only thing accepted at that time. I remember being a little shocked, because Whoopi’s stand up used to include mimicking “Reagan” sodomizing his supporters, and she wasn’t cancelled. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Sunny and Sara's makeup was slightly better today, but still too heavy-handed.  Do they watch themselves and think that looks good?

Rahm Emmanuel was actually interesting and informative--better than most political guests.

I am ambivalent about Chelsea Handler but I thought that was a good interview also. 

Better show than usual.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, bannana said:

I am ambivalent about Chelsea Handler but I thought that was a good interview also.

I don't mind Chelsea Handler. Her books are funny.  I always like her interviews on the View but I can see how some people might find her annoying.

18 minutes ago, bannana said:

Rahm Emmanuel was actually interesting and informative--better than most political guests

He has been in politics forever.  He knows what he is talking about.   I always enjoy him when I see him on the  View or the Sunday morning shows.

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, bannana said:

Rahm Emmanuel was actually interesting and informative--better than most political guests.

I don't like how he handled some things during his stint as Mayor of Chicago but he knows his stuff. I loved how he said that the lower courts need to be expanded before even looking at the supreme court.. I would say more but you guys should google and see what I mean..

• Love 6
On 10/27/2020 at 10:31 AM, Triviatrish2 said:

Agree.  Bari is not a an asset to the show.  I have never liked her when she was on Bill Maher, and she certainly is not endearing herself, today.  Bad experiment, just put Ana on!

I watch Bill Maher, and yeah Bari doesn't really love much of an impression imo. I've seen Ana on his show and she's even annoyed the hell out of me with stuff she said. lol But I like her and she's more interesting to me. 

• Love 3

Whenever Ana or the others bring up looting and rioting and how it's not acceptable, I just tune them out. You can't bring up that when people are being murdered with no consequence. Don't talk to me about buildings when people who look like me are being killed.

• Love 16
On 10/27/2020 at 1:57 PM, bannana said:

But I am not okay with Sunny's makeup today. I just finished watching all the Night at the Museum movies, and I thought Sunny's face resembled Sir Lancelot's when the wax started to melt his face. And then there's the caterpillar eyelashes.

sunny looks like she doesn't take off her false lashes at night, and in the morning just puts another set on top of yesterday's lashes.  by the end of the week, she ight not be able to open her eyes. 

16 hours ago, leftlane said:

Whoopi lost her deal with Slimfast because she made a joke about Bush.  Slimfast didn't want to be political, so they cancelled her contract.  BUT - if WHoopi had been making  movies, she wouldn't have been the slimfast spokesperson.  After that, she wasn't "cancelled", she just wasn't being asked to do celebrty endorsements for products, since her stand-up act was at times controversial.   she previously had said her career was at a standstill for 3 years.  Now she says 10. 

• Love 2

Today's show was above average.  I always like when RE is on the show - he is very informative and knows how to speak to an audience without boring the audience. You can tell the ladies like him a lot. It was very touching when he shared the story about his father's recent passing, and how Biden and Obama called him that day. Also at the very end - I didn't know he was a former ballet dancer !  No wonder he looks so good for his age and still has a great body (full disclosure: he and I share the same birthday yet he's a few years older than me but looks better than me! LOL)

Then we went to Chelsea Handler, who didn't have much to contribute because she's never a good guest. The show slowly rolled downhill from there.

As for Whoopi and 'cancel culture', don't forget : When Meredith left in 2006, Whoopi was Walters' first choice to take the moderator chair, but ABC said 'no' - and went with Rosie. Walters had to really fight to bring Goldberg on in 2007, when the seat was open again. As Whoopi said before, ABC still didn't want to take a chance on her. This is why she's so grateful to Walters.

Edited by LetsStartTalking
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, mxmummy said:

Rahm has called the election....Biden is our next President.

I’m sorry but if these ladies find Trump disgusting, Ms Handler is the female version of Trump. Yuck 🤢 

But she’s not the president running for a second term.  I rather like that they’ve had a few lighter moments during the week.  

• Love 7
18 hours ago, leftlane said:

Looking at IMDB, I couldn't find a single year that she didn't work.  A couple of slow years with only voice work, but that is common with most actors. 

• Love 3

Note to Sunny:  Lose that super bright & shiny halo light you're using.  This isn't Glamour Shots at the mall, you're on a morning chat show.  Save the glam for the evening.  Your square looks silly compared to your co-hosts. 

Whoopi looks cute today.  But still can't make a smooth segue to save her life.  Yeesh.

'You know what else is crazy?  Coming back for another segment after we go to commercial." 

"Ok, so you know, we'll be right back."

Edited by Cementhead
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

Too bad Meg is off so she can’t complain to Gov Cuomo about not being able to shop for a crib.

I agree with the panel that Myles Anonymous (whatever his name is) is no hero. Col Vindman is a hero. 

• Love 12

Wow! Cuomo should be ashamed of himself for blaming the President. He himself is guilty of many deaths. He totally side stepped the question of him putting COVID positive people in nursing homes. He absolutely did. 

2 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

That is not true and Cuomo did a lot to help his state and he has every right to blame him.  Cuomo has been a leader for New York  and has been a rock.  New York was a hotspot for Covid and under his leadership, he has brought  down the numbers without any help from the federal government.  New York gives more to the federal government than they get back.  No leader is perfect and he has nothing to be ashamed of.. His approval rating is through the roof, I have no doubt that if he were to go for another term, he would get it hands down.. In a time of crisis, I would want Cuomo by my side..

You put that perfectly.  Way better than i could say but i concur 100% !

23 hours ago, LetsStartTalking said:

Today's show was above average.  I always like when RE is on the show - he is very informative and knows how to speak to an audience without boring the audience. You can tell the ladies like him a lot. It was very touching when he shared the story about his father's recent passing, and how Biden and Obama called him that day. Also at the very end - I didn't know he was a former ballet dancer !  No wonder he looks so good for his age and still has a great body (full disclosure: he and I share the same birthday yet he's a few years older than me but looks better than me! LOL)

Then we went to Chelsea Handler, who didn't have much to contribute because she's never a good guest. The show slowly rolled downhill from there.

As for Whoopi and 'cancel culture', don't forget : When Meredith left in 2006, Whoopi was Walters' first choice to take the moderator chair, but ABC said 'no' - and went with Rosie. Walters had to really fight to bring Goldberg on in 2007, when the seat was open again. As Whoopi said before, ABC still didn't want to take a chance on her. This is why she's so grateful to Walters.

Its harder to get a seat at the table, than to fill a Supreme Court seat hah

On 10/28/2020 at 11:50 AM, mxmummy said:

Rahm has called the election....Biden is our next President.

I’m sorry but if these ladies find Trump disgusting, Ms Handler is the female version of Trump. Yuck 🤢 

I'm cautiously optimistic.  But i have to turn 3xs when someone calls it like that.  I'm just so nervous.

I like Chelsea but can see where many don't.  She's pretty raw, pulls no punches.  I think she and AC would make a great couple.  I never missed her night talk show, though went off the rails there at the end.  Rip Chuy!

• Love 13

I enjoy seeing Governor Cuomo on...I dont live in NY, but he seems like a straight-shooter & decent public servant.  But, I did not enjoy Sunny's question to him about dating Chelsea Handler, I guess she thought it was "cute", but the Governor side-tracked it graciously...I personally cringed.

• Love 15