Type keyword(s) to search

Dash And Lily - General Discussion

• Start Topic

What gets me is how they can make this into a series.  AFAIK, the novel was one book. Stretching one book into 8 episodes was already um, stretching it, but a series?  Not sure they can mine the "opposites attract" angle longer than 2 seasons. Still, it was a fairly cute and innocuous show, and the two leads are pretty good (Lily more so than Dash).

Color me surprised that Sophia ended up being my favorite character.

Spoiler

After Sophia & Dash realize they aren't suited to each other and become just friends, I liked how supportive she was of Dash and his efforts to establish a relationship with Lily. At first, she started out as a stereotypical caricature of a character - hot, sophisticated ex girlfriend who could be a bitch, but they axed that soon after.  Good on you, show!

Of course, just as I'm praising one thing, I have to give a demerit on something else - Edgar.

Spoiler

He's more shallow than a kiddie pool. What we see is what we get - immature, obnoxious and kind of a jerk. Too bad show went the predictable route with this character.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, norcalgal said:

What gets me is how they can make this into a series.  AFAIK, the novel was one book. Stretching one book into 8 episodes was already um, stretching it, but a series?  Not sure they can mine the "opposites attract" angle longer than 2 seasons.

I don't want to watch them try to make it. The charm was them getting there and finding each other.

I don't mind Edgar being a cliché. These are high schoolers, though none of the actors look it. 

I loved Mrs. Basil E and her nickname. That book was one of my favorites as a kid. I even asked at the Met where the angel statue was and was crushed to hear it wasn't a real thing. The lady at the information booth was nice enough to say that I wasn't the only one who was disappointed.

I appreciate that they were actually filming in New York City.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

There are three Dash and Lily books, so it is possible for another series or so.

Ah, OK then, I stand corrected.  I was only aware of the first book. And even though I didn't read it when it came out, the title with "Dash and Lily" in it stayed with me, so when I saw there was a Netflix show with these title characters, I thought:  "Huh, I wonder if it's based on that book I recall from years ago". And yep, sure enough, it was! 

• Love 1

It is adorable. I watched most of it yesterday, and finished tonight. I usually avoid the Christmas movies and such, because I don't enjoy the holidays as much as I used to, but this was just what I needed this week. I'll probably watch it again, closer to Christmas.

• Love 5

I really love the first 2/3rds but felt like the ending fizzled out. I think it’s because that was when Lily being under 18 became a bigger part of her story but everyone looked and acted like they were in their 20’s.

I was also very disappointed that Benny disappeared part way through. The early scenes with Benny, Langston and Lily were standouts and I missed that energy in the second half. 

12 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yea, that was what was throwing me maybe. The Dash actor in particular does not read at all teenager lol.

IMO, They should have made them College Freshmen or Sophomores.

And I am only on episode 6 but Lily is kinda a sad sack.

Edited by Megan

That was so not the Dyker Heights Lights which is a real thing.  I lived in Dyker Heights my whole life.  When she made him go uptown to get to them I scratched my head.

Dyker Heights is in Brooklyn.

That being said I binged it today and enjoyed it.  I do agree about their ages but I really didn't think about it while watching.

I am going to read the books now.

• Love 2

I really liked it. I can’t believe the actor who played Dash was also Marc on This Is Us, who was such a despicable character. 

I enjoyed all the young characters but they should have had them be in college. The Fiji stuff was unneeded and I don’t understand how Lily’s parents were so passive in how the grandfather was treating Lily and Langston.

I wished Edgar was more than just a douche. I am not sure why he would spend so much time and energy looking for Lily after the club if he didn’t care for her. 

Books have never looked so pretty! With the pandemic, the NYC scenes made me feel very nostalgic. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, memememe76 said:

I wished Edgar was more than just a douche. I am not sure why he would spend so much time and energy looking for Lily after the club if he didn’t care for her. 

I think he did like, but he was too immature to tell her in a way that wasn't pulling her pigtails, as it were. He's a foil for Dash, who writes it all down.

I think he's also there so Lily can see that he's not the dreamboat she hoped he might be. A few years didn't change him from the jerk he was.

• Love 3
On 11/11/2020 at 11:42 PM, Misslindsey said:

There are three Dash and Lily books, so it is possible for another series or so.

What are the general plots of the other books? Please spoil tag it just in case!

I finished it today. Loved it all the way through but I do kind of agree with the poster who said it lost some steam in the back end. Still fun and cute though.

The scene in the finale with Nick Jonas was so cringe but in a really cute way.

I can't really see them doing another season or what it could even be (thus why I wanna know what the other books are about lol) but I kinda hope it does get more. It was just such a lovely little show to watch. I liked all the characters so I wouldn't mind just watching them without a designated plot.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

What are the general plots of the other books? Please spoil tag it just in case!

I'm sorry, but I do not know what the plots of the other books are. My niece has read them. I should ask her. She was excited that the third book came out a couple weeks or so ago.

I enjoyed the show. It was light and fun, which I am all for lately. I liked all the main characters, though Langston was definitely my favorite. The ages of the actors did not bother me, because I have watched way too many "teen" shows where the actors are older than their high school character that they play. I guess, I would say I am used to it. I admit to being fairly easy to please with my fluff television show watching these days.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 2

It was rainy and cloudy today, so perfect day to binge.  I loved it!  I’ll probably watch again over Christmas.  I loved the Jo Bros cameo 🤣.  My son is super into that song right now, I think they listened to it in school yesterday or something so he even perked up when that scene came on.  Are they doing a season 2, then?  

• Love 2

This was a really cute and fun story, it very much got me into the Christmas spirit, I will have to watch again when Christmas is closer! It definitely feels like it was based on a book, I am interested if they are interested in doing the other books as later seasons. New York during Christmas looks beautiful, and the leads were both very likable, even if they did (especially Dash) look really old for teenagers, even fake movie teenagers, I thought that they were in college for the whole first episode. Everyone acted like 20 somethings anyway, hardly a parent to be seen throughout. Of course, that was the point with Lily and Dash, so it works alright. It was light and fun and sweet, which is perfect for a holiday story. 

I found Lily's family situation to be kind of weird, with her parents disappearing to a job interview in Fiji right before Christmas, while her grandpa goes to Florida to see his girlfriend, it was just really weird, especially as Lily is still a teenager with only her brother around. Then her parents moving to Fiji in a week seemed a bit too much like they wanted to add some extra drama and a ticking clock for them to get together. 

I like that Sophia the ex was actually quite nice, and even helped Dash try and connect with Lily, and while Edgar was a self centered moron, he wasn't a cackling bad guy, I can see why Lily might have been interested in giving him a chance, especially as she has no romantic experience at all. 

The Nick Jonas cameo was hilariously random, it cracked me up. I also loved the bookstore where so much of the plot was centered on, look at those beautiful books! I would totally love spending New Years there. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5

I really enjoyed this series.   I was drawn in right away with the notebook challenges.   I've gone to NY twice during the Christmas season, so I just loved all those NYC at Christmas scenes.   The Lily character sort of reminded me of the Zoey and Her Extraordinary Playlist character...a bit quirky and generally upbeat.  About jumped off the couch when Michael Park (Jack Snyder from As The World Turns) popped up in Ep. 5 as Dash's father.  And then the Jonas Brothers--LOL.   Overall, very enjoyable.  

• Love 2

This was so sweet...I absolutely loved it. Made my heart swell three sizes! The music was absolutely fantastic (though I'm not a JoBro fan). But the "cool" Christmas classics that I love, the Pogues, the Waitresses, ending it with Ella singing "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve," just perfect. Swoon.

The timing was a little odd, especially at the end (Way-too-practical-for-this-show Hubby: "Does she even know how much international flights cost?!?"), but it added to the romantic urgency.

I don't NEED a second season because this was such a perfect little gift on its own but I'll watch the heck out of it if they make one.

• Love 2

Count me in as someone else who thought that Lily and Dash were supposed to be college students and then getting confused when the Lily parent plot came out. If she's 17, we can assume she's either a junior or a senior and it seems massively messed up to have someone change schools so close to the end of high school.

The Edgar actor is in his late 20's and man did he look it. I wish they had given him a bit more depth, but whatever. I did enjoy the point that they made that bullies from your school days rarely ever remember it, and you really shouldn't keep giving them power over you.

This was a fun little trifle. I did not expect Austin Abrams to ever get a leading man role, so good for him. (I know him from Paper Towns, where he played the nerdy best friend of Nat Wolff's character.) 

Edited by methodwriter85
12 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

The Edgar actor is in his late 20's and man did he look it. I wish they had given him a bit more depth, but whatever. I did enjoy the point that they made that bullies from your school days rarely ever remember it, and you really shouldn't keep giving them power over you.

Was he actually a bully, though?  I should probably go back and rewatch but I can't remember exactly which episode it was.  They showed Lily's memories of how he was a bully because he called her "weird", but then later they showed that he described pretty much everything as "weird" and not as an insult.  Just that he was kind of generally clueless about how he came across to people.  Or did they show for sure that he was behind the thing with the friendship bracelets?  If so, then, yeah, bully.

• Love 1

I wouldn't classify Edgar as a bully, but he was mean to her behind his back. He called her weird and then dropped the bracelet on the ground. Not the most offensive thing ever, but I could see why Lily was not pleased to see him at the nightclub.

I have been rewatching episodes over the last few weeks. The scene where they meet at the party was so important--if you don't see chemistry there, you won't want them together. So good, even though they didn't really do anything but share a couple of jokes.

• Love 2

Just watched this, it was cute but they definitely should have made them in their 20s, even early 20s still living with parents would be fine. They could still be upset about family leaving them for Xmas but it would be more believable that they had so much freedom to wander the city. 

• Love 3
On 11/12/2020 at 2:19 AM, non sequitur said:

It's really cute so far.  Seeing all the pre-Covid Christmas in New York scenes are bittersweet.

Both characters look a lot older than high school.

This is usually the case with teen shows/movies. 

On 11/12/2020 at 6:45 PM, dubbel zout said:

The actors, though, are in their mid-20s, and IMO look it.

This is usually the case with teen shows/movies. 

On 11/15/2020 at 1:30 AM, memememe76 said:

I really liked it. I can’t believe the actor who played Dash was also Marc on This Is Us, who was such a despicable character. 

I enjoyed all the young characters but they should have had them be in college. The Fiji stuff was unneeded and I don’t understand how Lily’s parents were so passive in how the grandfather was treating Lily and Langston.

Books have never looked so pretty! With the pandemic, the NYC scenes made me feel very nostalgic. 

I don't understand how was the grandfather treated them except to call them out on their behavior. What would the parents have said? 

On 11/23/2020 at 3:07 PM, tennisgurl said:

I found Lily's family situation to be kind of weird, with her parents disappearing to a job interview in Fiji right before Christmas, while her grandpa goes to Florida to see his girlfriend, it was just really weird, especially as Lily is still a teenager with only her brother around. Then her parents moving to Fiji in a week seemed a bit too much like they wanted to add some extra drama and a ticking clock for them to get together. 

Lots of folks don't have "typical" family setups. It seemed that her dad hadn't had a full-time job and landed one in Fiji that he needed to start at the beginning of the year. There was no mention of the mom's profession. Lily is a teenager but is 17 years old and her brother is a young adult. I see that the parents and grandfather leaving was for the sake of the plot but 

On 12/26/2020 at 11:08 AM, toomuchtv said:

Just watched this, it was cute but they definitely should have made them in their 20s, even early 20s still living with parents would be fine. They could still be upset about family leaving them for Xmas but it would be more believable that they had so much freedom to wander the city. 

It's definitely the norm for 17-year old teens to travel throughout Manhattan. It's not that big and the entire island can be reached via public transportation - or ride share, if needed. I found this scenario to be more realistic than shows where 16-year old teens drive wherever, whenever, in fancy cars. Many of us drive at early ages but there are restrictions. 

I just finished watching this. I remember when it first came out and I didn't watch it because I didn't like the first book but this was thoroughly enjoyable. Even if it did run out of steam at the then end. I loved Upset!Lily trying all of her friends alcoholic drinks when she realizes that Dash left the party with his ex. She takes a sip of each drink and "ew!" or "gross!" -es each one until she sips a peppermint schnapps and DOWNS that sucker. "This tastes like a candy cane!" I love that Langston went to get Benny back. The show felt much...flatter...without him. 

• Love 2