Type keyword(s) to search

S32.E02: Red Lipstick is Not My Color

Lamb18
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

Commando !!!

Just sayin'...

I think it was the same 'snowflake' I mentioned above (the one who had her dad carry around her hair dryer) that had to borrow some shorts from either him? or another contestant when she had to remove her pants for a challenge and she was only wearing a thong? Am I remembering that right?

7 hours ago, katalizt said:

They did a great job in Cartagena a few seasons ago

I cannot hear the word "Cartagena" without picturing Kathleen Turner battling a one-handed villain in a castle lit by torches, and Michael Douglas diving off the ramparts to find the alligator that swallowed the prize emerald.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 16
39 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I cannot hear the word "Cartagena" without picturing Kathleen Turner battling a one-handed villain in a castle lit by torches, and Michael Douglas diving off the ramparts to find the alligator that swallowed the prize emerald.  

Is this the bus to Cartagena?

So nice to have TAR back.  I liked the Olympians, they had a good attitude, sorry to see them go.   Yes, the show tasks are terribly dumbed down but it is still fun.  I was surprised how almost everyone aced the tightrope - even with the safety ropes, it was obviously nerve wracking. 

I enjoy detail tasks so the truck decorating was a win for me.  Read the clue!

I don't really dislike anyone (that will probably change) so overall a win for me.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Ah yes, that very realistic Hollywood depiction of Cartagena, lol.

Also, add me to the Hung and Chee fans. I hope they keep doing so well.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, leighdear said:

They're from Lafayette, which is actually closer to Beaumont, TX than to New Orleans.  Neither has a trace of a Cajun or Creole accent that I've detected, so I'd say the French is an affectation.  

No, I don't care for them, but we'll see down the line just how authentic they actually are, 'Cher.  I could be totally wrong.

So what? Lafayette is in the heart of Cajun Country. What difference does proximity to NO make? Maybe they took French in HS or college. I took French when I was in college in LA. 

• Love 4
On 10/21/2020 at 10:24 PM, absolutelyido said:

Yeah, it bugged me that the last 3 teams were the white, blonde girls and 2 African American teams, and Leo and Alana gave the answer to the blonde girls because "they seem nice". Not saying they were being racist, but perhaps there was some unconscious bias that caused them to gravitate to the team that looked most like themselves.

My immediate reaction was, “Oh, sure, tell the blondes, let the mean black girls fend for themselves. Racists.” I was only partially joking. No, I have no reason to think they are actually racist. But it was a bit depressing to see, since the attribution of “nice”ness was seemingly based on nothing at all, other than a perceived commonality.

On 10/21/2020 at 10:11 PM, Giuseppe said:

Seems like they probably thought blowing the horn was just the judge's way of letting them know they had completed the task properly, so they weren't thinking that they actually had to hook it up.

I know we have to give the racers a little leeway since they’re rushed and frazzled and all, but it seems they might stop to ponder how, exactly, the judges are blowing those horns.  Maybe they need to be, I don’t know... hooked up??

16 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Terri and Ian had paper underwear but I don't remember if they had to get into a river. Maybe in Vietnam.

“Hump it, Terri! Hump it!” Ahh... good times.

• LOL 2
On 10/23/2020 at 1:28 AM, SVNBob said:
On 10/22/2020 at 2:27 AM, theschnauzers said:
On 10/22/2020 at 12:24 AM, displayname said:

Why are Will and James tagged as "Boyfriends" instead of "Dating"???

Because at the time, that’s what they were. They had already being backpacking to different places around the world together. IIRC, from what I’ve seen, they were living together as well. These days, they’d be described as “engaged.”

According to something read elsewhere, Will and James were known as the "Backpacking Boyfriends" before the Race, so that might have something to do with it as well.  And technically, these days they'd be described as "Married".  Apparently they got hitched during the two-year shelving.

They haven’t gotten married yet, just engaged. They changed the name of their YouTube and Instagram channels to reflect that, as well as revamp their website.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I know we have to give the racers a little leeway since they’re rushed and frazzled and all, but it seems they might stop to ponder how, exactly, the judges are blowing those horns.  Maybe they need to be, I don’t know... hooked up??

My point was, the teams probably assumed that the horn was already working. They weren't, as far as I could see, assembling any other operational parts of the truck, so hearing the other teams' horns go off didn't signal to them, oh we need to hook that up. They likely just thought, when we're finished decorating, the judge will come over and honk the horn to let us know we're done.

• Love 5
On 10/22/2020 at 7:04 AM, Steph Sometimes said:

There was one interview mid-episode with the Olympians and one of them seemed to choke back a sob, pretty much giving away the elimination. I've been watching TAR almost from the beginning (Season 4 was my first -- I was Team Clown if anyone cares) and although I have often read comments from other people figuring out eliminations based on mid-episode interviews, this was the first one that seemed really obvious to me.

I love the name Pseudo Gabby! 

I already thought they were eliminated in the first episode because of their interview .

On 10/22/2020 at 8:05 AM, GaT said:

Season 32 & people are still not reading the clue. 

And so many of them . One or two I could understand but all of them ? Even the teams who figured it out early had to reread their clues . 

I don't think original TAR has ever had tasks as physically difficult as the Canada version, task after task after task.  It was exhausting to even watch.  

The first few seasons, they did. I remember one leg where they had to go deep sea diving, spelunking and mountain climbing - all in one leg - and I couldn't believe how grueling it was. They didn't start to dumb down the race until around Season 4 or 5. It's gotten progressively worse, WRT the level of  difficulty. 

On 10/23/2020 at 5:20 PM, Jobiska said:

The "professor" teased the beardballbrothers about the artifact being fake; they looked so crestfallen for a minute!  I wonder if he did that with the others and we missed it. 

The brothers were the first ones to turn in the gold thing, so I believe they were the only ones who we saw being told it was fake.  I don’t think any other of his exchanges were aired.  I also was looking for someone to be told the emerald was fake but don’t think we saw it.

i was wondering how the teams knew that group of guys were the emerald buyers.  They didn’t have anything overt on them except for a piece of paper with thin red and yellow stripes on it.  Was there another more obvious clue I missed?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, blackwing said:

The brothers were the first ones to turn in the gold thing, so I believe they were the only ones who we saw being told it was fake.  I don’t think any other of his exchanges were aired.  I also was looking for someone to be told the emerald was fake but don’t think we saw it.

i was wondering how the teams knew that group of guys were the emerald buyers.  They didn’t have anything overt on them except for a piece of paper with thin red and yellow stripes on it.  Was there another more obvious clue I missed?

I think just the fact that several men in suits were clustered together, looking at papers and other items, was the clue.  No one else was dressed similarly in the plaza area, IIRC.

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, blackwing said:

The brothers were the first ones to turn in the gold thing, so I believe they were the only ones who we saw being told it was fake.  I don’t think any other of his exchanges were aired.

Yeah, that's what I meant--didn't expect to see it, but wondered if he kept the same patter (if a professorial actor/real professor/studious old dude can be said to have patter) for the others, or if they didn't get teased.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 11:30 PM, blackwing said:

She said it was because they seem nice, but I can’t help but notice that it meant we were going to lose one of the two black teams.  

Or maybe they just clicked with the blonde sisters.  That happens, teams click.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 1:04 AM, Steph Sometimes said:

I love the name Pseudo Gabby!

I don't even know who the hell Gabby is.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 4:13 AM, displayname said:

mean, I don't think I remember a Male/Female pair being described as "Boyfriend and Girlfriend", which is why I was curious.

That's pretty clunky, though.

• Love 2
On 10/23/2020 at 9:42 PM, LittleIggy said:

So what? Lafayette is in the heart of Cajun Country. What difference does proximity to NO make? Maybe they took French in HS or college. I took French when I was in college in LA. 

My sister in law is from Lafayette.  She has an uncle named Frozard and one of her ex brothers in law is on Swamp People.  They're raging Cajuns!

I think the two sisters have southern accents.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 10/22/2020 at 1:22 PM, jah1986 said:

I think the difference is that they didn't call them "alliances" in the early seasons, just being helpful, or not. And I wouldn't count Tara in there because she just wanted Chris and Alex to win because she was "falling in love" with Chris(?). But I did love that season and Tara's inability to run fast to the mat for the win. I think the real scheming with alliances became bigger once Boston Rob came on the Race.

They did call it an alliance in season 1, episode 2. When they were getting into their vehicles, Joe (of The Guidos) said, "I feel very comfortable with the three-part alliance ..." regarding the teaming up with Frank and Margarita and Rob and Brennan. It didn't last very long on anyone's part, but it was an alliance that at least one person called an alliance. @SVNBob is right, though: All alliance on The Amazing Race should be transitory and mutually beneficial. When teams forget the transitory part is when it gets sticky.

Even if the one who spoke French has learned some Spanish, it's probably all stored in the same part of her brain if she learned both as an adult so when she tries to say something in a foreign language, she grabs at the first thing that comes up and says it even if it's not what she means to say. It probably happens even more under the stress of being in a hurry during the race. I don't know what season it was or what team (but it might have been the clowns from 4[?]), but I remember one racer telling his partner that "rapido" didn't mean "fast" in every language. I think they were in South Korea at the time.

9 hours ago, auntlada said:

They did call it an alliance in season 1, episode 2. When they were getting into their vehicles, Joe (of The Guidos) said, "I feel very comfortable with the three-part alliance ..." regarding the teaming up with Frank and Margarita and Rob and Brennan. It didn't last very long on anyone's part, but it was an alliance that at least one person called an alliance. @SVNBob is right, though: All alliance on The Amazing Race should be transitory and mutually beneficial. When teams forget the transitory part is when it gets sticky.

Even if the one who spoke French has learned some Spanish, it's probably all stored in the same part of her brain if she learned both as an adult so when she tries to say something in a foreign language, she grabs at the first thing that comes up and says it even if it's not what she means to say. It probably happens even more under the stress of being in a hurry during the race. I don't know what season it was or what team (but it might have been the clowns from 4[?]), but I remember one racer telling his partner that "rapido" didn't mean "fast" in every language. I think they were in South Korea at the time.

I think the term alliance came in vogue after Rob & Amber’s season. He got people to do what he wanted while also being in alliance with them. That said, it comes and goes in waves on TAR. Sometimes it just two teams or maybe three. This season it’s 5 I think. Which is a lot and it will be interesting to see how far they make it. It could also make for a boring season like the blob alliance on Big Brother which just ended. 

Edited by ByaNose