Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Refresh

Dream Home Makeover

Dreams come true for real families looking for the perfect home tailored to their own unique style, thanks to Shea and Syd McGee of Studio McGee.

Premiering in October on Netflix.

I like that they showed some one room makeovers because that is a more realistic scenario than full house renovations which is what I thought it would be from the title. Shay did try to explain her design decisions which I appreciated but the end result is the same grey, black and white homes under the moniker of modern traditional. It's pretty, it's popular, it's inoffensive, but I'm bored already. 

I normally am not amused by children on TV, I find them annoying, but the younger daughter was cracking me up especially getting caught in her hair cut lie -- " I didn't really cut my hair". Then the find scissors and lock of hair. LOL. I'll have to try that sometime "I didn't really finish the last of the wine" she says with purple lips and stained teeth.  The donut negotiation was also classic. 

They tried to attempt diversity with the Bachelor's movie room but mostly this show was one Mormon McMansion after another .

• Like 4

On 10/29/2020 at 12:52 AM, LeGrandElephant said:

Is $30k or $35k really a normal budget for renovating one room??

That does seem expensive for a living room/den.  I know that kitchens can be that expensive, but in that case you're usually talking about knocking down walls, new cabinets and appliances, new flooring, maybe adding an island, and sometimes new plumbing. 

I can't tell if I like this couple or not. The wife acts sickingly sweet, but there's something about her that seems a little bitchy, too. She berates her husband a lot. To be fair, does he do anything with these home renovations, or is it all her and the contractors. I thought he was a general contractor, but I guess not. 

And I hate those big-ass bows she puts on her daughters. They're not cheerleaders, for cripes' sake. 

• Like 3

On 11/4/2020 at 12:29 PM, topanga said:

And I hate those big-ass bows she puts on her daughters. They're not cheerleaders, for cripes' sake. 

Oh god, the bows. And they have to have one every day, they can't go bowless, ever. I can't wait until they get old enough to start having their own ideas about how they wear their hair.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, GaT said:

Oh god, the bows. And they have to have one every day, they can't go bowless, ever. I can't wait until they get old enough to start having their own ideas about how they wear their hair.

But what age will that be since they parents may have so brainwashed them into being GIRLS!!! ♀️♀️Horrors should some stranger guess they're a boy. Or that they're not a little princess in pink. 

• Laugh 1

10 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

But what age will that be since they parents may have so brainwashed them into being GIRLS!!! ♀️♀️Horrors should some stranger guess they're a boy. Or that they're not a little princess in pink. 

I think the one who cut her hair is maybe starting to think about it LOL

• Laugh 3

Is anyone else bothered by the husband's neck beard? (I think his name is Sid.) It kind of grosses me out, it practically goes down his whole neck. As a designer how things look naturally matter to Shea, you would think the neck beard would bother her. I practically can't look at him.

Oooo, season 2! What color palette will Shea pick? White or Gray? White AND Gray? Will she want everything to look clean and fresh and white?! Will there be a pop of color? Maybe on a cabinet or two? Will all the houses basically look the same?! Which is just a variation on her house?!

On episode 3 and so far, the answer to all these questions is yes, white, white, white.

I am so glad she didn't get her mitts on that MCM house. I still don't get why those guys with the aesthetics that they claimed would hire Studio McGee. But apparently they also like white.

Apparently adding funk, means a gray toned sage green.

Sid is pretty douchey and seems to make a lot of gay jokes, "liking nuts", being a "fluffer."

Edited by Megan
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 4

On 1/4/2021 at 2:30 PM, Megan said:

Oooo, season 2! What color palette will Shea pick? White or Gray? White AND Gray? Will she want everything to look clean and fresh and white?! Will there be a pop of color? Maybe on a cabinet or two? Will all the houses basically look the same?! Which is just a variation on her house?!

On episode 3 and so far, the answer to all these questions is yes, white, white, white.

I am so glad she didn't get her mitts on that MCM house. I still don't get why those guys with the aesthetics that they claimed would hire Studio McGee. But apparently they also like white.

Apparently adding funk, means a gray toned sage green.

Sid is pretty douchey and seems to make a lot of gay jokes, "liking nuts", being a "fluffer."

Season 2 has been hilarious, IMO. I'm currently watching the episode with the woman who wants a Hawaiian-themed master bedroom. And Shea is dissing the lady's style so hard. But themed rooms can be corny, that's true.  When she was described what she wanted, I imagined a them painting a beach mural on the wall.

Shea seems like a nice person, but she is a straight-up control freak. And she bosses Syd around like he's one of her kids. During the photo shoot: "Put your foot on that step. No, that one. No, the other one." During a renovation: "Put these pictures on the bulletin board anyway you want. Eww, that's ugly. Let me do it." But he really doesn't do anything. She wasn't wrong about that one. I would ask why he's even on the show, but I think I know the answers: 1) the show would be boring without him--he brings the semi-erotic dad jokes. and 2) Shea wants them to be the next Chip and Joanna Gaines so badly. She's hoping their McGee brand will become the next Magnolia.

I generally like her design style, but I do not like their house. It's stark white on the outside with no splashes of color anywhere--no shutters, no colorful landscaping--even the front door blends. And those brass fixtures in the kitchen! Ugh. I'm sure they were very expensive, but they look cheap to me. The other rooms are nice, but I would hate looking at that kitchen every day. 

Perhaps they are a perfectly nice couple, but...

It's obvious there is a try hard effort to make their couples chemistry the highlight of the show,  but unfortunately the banter/interaction is  just so banal and basic.  Every time it  focuses on them as a couple the show grinds to a halt. 

As others have pointed out, the elephant in the room doesn't go away, in  that Sid doesn't actually contribute anything substantial to the projects themselves.    So there they go again with more banter.  Commentary on how Sid loves to eat.  Sid wishes he was back in California, etc, etc.  

The makeovers themselves are fine, though as others have pointed out , a bit pricey for single room renos.    Shea's  aesthetic is nice, but again, fairly generic which isn't necessary a bad thing; one can see why she grew her brand successfully,  but it doesn't make for scintillating TV or make it standout  from every other makeover show out there. 

• Like 1