Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E17: Bris-fully Ignorant

• Start Topic

I really, really, really HATE Ari.  She’s whiny, condescending, rude and ignorant.  Where do I even start with her? Let’s start with this carseat.  I don’t doubt that the carseat was strapped in properly as long as the car had seat belts.  Not all infant carseats require a base, and I know from personal experience that this model can be used without a base. There are slots on the side to run the seatbelts through.  

If said carseat was so important to her, however, her annoying ass should have brought it with her when she came. She could have checked it at the gate. I don’t know what customs limits there are but Ethiopia had an active international adoption program for years.  Surely the airport staff are accustomed to a white lady flying in with an empty carseat. What kind of chucklefuck moves to a developing country in their third trimester and doesn’t bring baby essentials: diapers, bottles (never assume breastfeeding won’t be problematic at times), a carseat, clothes, blankets, nursing pads, a baby grooming kit? Most of that would have fit in a large suitcase. 

As for the mohel situation, I have two words for Ari: Beta Israel. There’s around 25,000 Ethiopian Jews, surely she could find a mohel in the capital.  

I also think 99% of problem with the hospital, staff and delivery is she looked around and didn’t see enough white faces.  At every turn it’s like she couldn’t believe she was getting competent medical care by Africans.  I guarantee she would not have been that snappy had she brought the baby to be circumcised in some rural hospital in West Virginia or a war-torn area like Sarajevo. I’ve dealt with her kind plenty in my career.  What a snotty bitch.

Yes, Biniyam is annoying, but he’s not the new parent, Ari is and it is clear she doesn’t know a damned thing.  I took his speech about the breastfeeding not as him saying her milk was inferior, but him telling her she needs to maintain a balanced diet for her and the baby.  And he was right. Yes you need water, but you also need protein. I don’t have children but I have had basically the same surgery only to remove fibroids and not a baby. Protein is your friend in recovery lest you want to look like Alfred Hitchcock.  That anesthesia will leave you bald in a few months.  

Brittany is delusional, Kenny is a cry baby, and Deavan takes entitlement to a whole new level. If she weren’t so busy trying to force a relationship so she can sit on her ass as a stay at home mom and get help with that demon seed child of hers she might make better decisions.  All I see from her are demands but no contributions and no action to improve the sitatuon. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 22
On 10/27/2020 at 1:57 AM, nutella fitzgerald said:

Even Luis did this with Molly’s daughter Kensley! It really puts Kenny’s failure in perspective. 

Didn't Luis work in a bar that catered to tourists?  I suspect his learning English was more about tips and picking up desperate American tourists than it was to communicate with Molly's child.  Plus it is obvious that his real motivation was coming to the U.S.

• Love 4

Things that have occurred to me: since Armando has been so successful at learning English, however he did it, why has he not put Hannah on the same educational path? Is the show simply not letting her speak English?  I suspect that she speaks English fluently.
Most new mothers go through a nesting phase prior to giving birth.  Ari is never shown doing that but never once did she make a list planning what she might use or need.  I tend to think her mother would have been sending her lists and having her watch YouTube videos to prepare her. I just don’t think they were waiting for mom to come and save the day in every single way.

I thought it was creepy when she was talking about how good mom she is, just sort of staring off into space not making eye contact with him and not saying how good a dad he is too.   He was about to race through the streets carrying the newborn baby, dodging runaway vehicles and feral dogs, with only an umbrella to defend them.  Like he was in a video game - only it’s real life!

Edited by Colfrmb
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Colfrmb said:

Things that have occurred to me: since Armando has been so successful at learning English, however he did it, why has he not put Hannah on the same educational path?

IIRC, Armando said he and his sister learned English by attending an “international school,” and maybe Hannah doesn’t have the same opportunity in their little Mexican rural compound school. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, MrBuhBye said:
3 hours ago, Wanda said:

Just watched.

so sumit finally got a job

I did not see this.  Is it a spoiler from next week?

I watched the Sneak Peek, but didn’t see anything about that, either. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I also think 99% of problem with the hospital, staff and delivery is she looked around and didn’t see enough white faces.  At every turn it’s like she couldn’t believe she was getting competent medical care by Africans.  I guarantee she would not have been that snappy had she brought the baby to be circumcised in some rural hospital in West Virginia or a war-torn area like Sarajevo. I’ve dealt with her kind plenty in my career.  What a snotty bitch.

I got that sense from her too.  To her Bini is "exotic" but now it's real and she can't deal with it.  

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

What kind of chucklefuck moves to a developing country in their third trimester and doesn’t bring baby essentials: diapers, bottles (never assume breastfeeding won’t be problematic at times), a carseat, clothes, blankets, nursing pads, a baby grooming kit? Most of that would have fit in a large suitcase.

Yes, Biniyam is annoying, but he’s not the new parent, Ari is and it is clear she doesn’t know a damned thing.  I took his speech about the breastfeeding not as him saying her milk was inferior, but him telling her she needs to maintain a balanced diet for her and the baby.  And he was right. Yes you need water, but you also need protein. I

Well said!  The editors made sure to show Ari declaring, "my life in seven suitcases."  It doesn't appear that she brought anything for the baby, so I can't help but wonder what she had in those suitcases.  Shoes, perhaps?

I believe Bini was just trying to tell Ari she should eat more.  Apparently, she was hardly eating and was just drinking water.  

• Love 11
7 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

I did not see this.  Is it a spoiler from next week?

Uh no. 

first scene between him and Jenny. Why he is willing to fight his family for her 62 yr old self. 

5 hours ago, magemaud said:

I watched the Sneak Peek, but didn’t see anything about that, either. 

I can’t believe I have the filthiest mind here lol

their discussion?

he got a bj from her. That’s why she has him in her thrall

• LOL 5

8 HOURS AGO, IJUSTWANTSOMECHIPS SAID:

What kind of chucklefuck moves to a developing country in their third trimester and doesn’t bring baby essentials: diapers, bottles (never assume breastfeeding won’t be problematic at times), a carseat, clothes, blankets, nursing pads, a baby grooming kit? Most of that would have fit in a large suitcase.

I've read that some Jewish people have a superstition that it is bad luck to buy or receive anything for the baby until after it is born:

"Although there's not a law that strictly forbids gifts to an unborn child, traditional Jewish culture warns against baby showers and gift giving before a baby is born. Orthodox Jews, for example, believe that celebrating a child before he or she is born will draw evil spirits and result in bad luck for the child. It's a belief that stems from medieval times, when few infants survived [source: Kuritski].

• Useful 5

1. Once again Jenny shows less emotional maturity than a 15 year old.  A promise ring?  That whole speech she gave, gave me second hand embarrassment.  She definitely belongs with a younger man, but not even a 30 year old man should be that immature.  

2.  I never want to see or hear about Sumit and Jenny's sex life, but I can tell that Sumit is terrible at sex.  Jenny just wants someone to tell her she is pretty and Sumit wants to lay back and be taken care of.  

3. I'm starting to see Bini's cracks.  Ari is beyond annoying, so its easy for Bini to be sympathetic by comparison, but he seems like one of those guys who will say "yeah, okay, sure, I don't want to fight" but will then proceed to do exactly what he wants to do anyways.  He knew damn well she didn't want him in that car, he agreed not to be in the car, and then he plopped himself in the car.  

4.  I also think Bini has a bad habit of trying to avoid conflict by just springing things on Ari and thats going to go south fast.  He should have told her about all the festivities going on in front of their apartment, he SHOULD have prepared her for that.  Instead he just sprung it on her and thats unfair.  Though, I found the auntie delegation hilarious.  

5. Brittney knows how Yazan is, but just can't help but have her ass and tits out at all times and as much as possible.  She should live her best life, but I feel like she was baiting him by pointing out that some random guy was catcalling her.  On a shallow note, I could tell that random guy was far away and couldn't actually see Brittney's face because he would have had second thoughts about calling her "beautiful"

6.  Brittney won't be happy until she causes an international incident.  I don't know why she keeps pretending like Jordan is the United States and Yazan has all these independent freedoms and power.  He does not.  If she wants to go there and break all the rules and have all her lady bits hanging out, SHE is going to suffer too.  

7.  Oh look, what a shock, Devan is disappointed and upset about something.  Must be a day that ends in the letter Y

8.  Jihoon's "job" is simple to understand, he buys used phones from third parties and sells them.  He is pretty much a glorified delivery boy at this point.  People who "fix" and sell the phones probably don't have the time to go to 20-30 different retailers to check on and collect broken phones.  It sounds like different retail outlets call Jihoon when they have a stack of used phones for him to buy.  I don't know why Devan was making a ruckus in that shop and acting like that man was his boss.  He is not, Jihoon doesn't have a boss, Jihoon barely has a job.

9.  LOL, Jihoon doesn't even repair broken cell phones.  I bet you thats what he implied when he spoke to Devan, because THAT sounds like a good job.  I really think she got bamboozled, because Jihoon really is a loser for a 30 year old man.  He has no marketable skills at all.  

10.  I think Jihoon is likely still selling stolen phones.  I don't know why Devan would assume he only gets phones from one person. 

11. Kenny is coming in too strong.  Hannah may be a little spoiled, but she seems like a lovely little girl.  She left all of her family, she is living with a guy who she doesn't really know and can't speak the language, she is already going to see Kenny as competition for Armando's attention.....and now Kenny is going to try to hardass dad?  He better watch it, because Hannah is going to end up hating him.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Wanda said:

Uh no. 

first scene between him and Jenny. Why he is willing to fight his family for her 62 yr old self. 

I can’t believe I have the filthiest mind here lol

their discussion?

he got a bj from her. That’s why she has him in her thrall

If she was dominating him he was probably orally servicing her.  Mind bleach.

• LOL 1
On 10/24/2020 at 7:43 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

Having Bini Baby and Real Baby walk thru the streets was nuts, that baby (was wrapped up like a mummy in that heat).  All the things that Bini and his sister bought for the baby were fine but neither one of them thought about a car seat? They each have kids, right?  Why wouldn't Bini Baby give Ari a heads up about what would be waiting for her at home?

Yazan says he is working 14 hours a day to earn enough to send money for an airline ticket, future housing, etc...let's say Britanny goes back to Jordan, what is she going to do all day while Yazan is working? My guess is she will bitch at him for being gone all the time while she is alone in a country where she does not speak the language, customs and is broke.

If Britanny had men that allowed her to fly private, get expensive gifts (none of which I believe on any level) then why not go after one of those guys?  Yazan complaining about the way she dresses is just telling her she will not be able to dress that way in Jordan and if she truly wants to be with him then out of respect she should not dress like that in Palm Beach (the other Palm Beach not the one where the rich people live, lol) but she sees it as Yazan trying to control her and not as any show of respect to him and his culture.  Britanny is too immature to understand Yazan's way of life, has no empathy that his family has shunned him.  Yazan was stupid for thinking B would be acceptable for a bride just from the constant fighting, did he think his mother would really think she would be a good match for her son? Yazan does not seem bright.

The burning question is, will Yazan's father give him a discount at the fish store?

Once I saw that I knew one of you would capture that and post it! Thank you!

Brittney was a sugar baby to creepy old men.  They liked her because her braces made her look extra young.  

She is rapidly aging out of the market for "pedophile sugar daddies"

Those men never, ever, ever wanted to actually "be with" someone like Brittney, they used her and I guess she used them.  No rich man is trying to take plain faced, creepy grinning Brittney to St. Tropez on a private jet.  

Brittney is a total butterface and she'd better capitalize on that body and marry as well as she can as soon as possible.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Darlabutterfly said:

child before he or she is born will draw evil spirits

So she doesn’t believe in hell but evil spirits exist?

20 minutes ago, RealReality said:

Jenny just wants someone to tell her she is pretty and Sumit wants to lay back and be taken care of. 

I guess when her face is in his crotch he doesn’t have to look at it.

22 minutes ago, RealReality said:

On a shallow note, I could tell that random guy was far away and couldn't actually see Brittney's face because he would have had second thoughts about calling her "beautiful"

Maybe it was booty full.

• LOL 6
9 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I really, really, really HATE Ari.  She’s whiny, condescending, rude and ignorant.  Where do I even start with her? Let’s start with this carseat.  I don’t doubt that the carseat was strapped in properly as long as the car had seat belts.  Not all infant carseats require a base, and I know from personal experience that this model can be used without a base. There are slots on the side to run the seatbelts through.  

If said carseat was so important to her, however, her annoying ass should have brought it with her when she came. She could have checked it at the gate. I don’t know what customs limits there are but Ethiopia had an active international adoption program for years.  Surely the airport staff are accustomed to a white lady flying in with an empty carseat. What kind of chucklefuck moves to a developing country in their third trimester and doesn’t bring baby essentials: diapers, bottles (never assume breastfeeding won’t be problematic at times), a carseat, clothes, blankets, nursing pads, a baby grooming kit? Most of that would have fit in a large suitcase. 

As for the mohel situation, I have two words for Ari: Beta Israel. There’s around 25,000 Ethiopian Jews, surely she could find a mohel in the capital.  

Yes, Biniyam is annoying, but he’s not the new parent, Ari is and it is clear she doesn’t know a damned thing.  I took his speech about the breastfeeding not as him saying her milk was inferior, but him telling her she needs to maintain a balanced diet for her and the baby.  And he was right. Yes you need water, but you also need protein. I don’t have children but I have had basically the same surgery only to remove fibroids and not a baby. Protein is your friend in recovery lest you want to look like Alfred Hitchcock.  That anesthesia will leave you bald in a few months.  

Brittany is delusional, Kenny is a cry baby, and Deavan takes entitlement to a whole new level. If she weren’t so busy trying to force a relationship so she can sit on her ass as a stay at home mom and get help with that demon seed child of hers she might make better decisions.  All I see from her are demands but no contributions and no action to improve the sitatuon. 

Yeah, I think Bini said it all wrong, but it sounds to me like Ari isn't eating very often or very well.  A lot of it may be anxiety and nerves, because Ethopian food is fucking delicious so if I had an excuse to eat it, I surely would.   

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, RealReality said:

LOL, Jihoon doesn't even repair broken cell phones.  I bet you thats what he implied when he spoke to Devan, because THAT sounds like a good job. 

There is a loser on a spin-off show who works in a cellphone store but says he is the manager of a telephone company.

• LOL 2
16 hours ago, RoxiP said:

Didn't Luis work in a bar that catered to tourists?  I suspect his learning English was more about tips and picking up desperate American tourists than it was to communicate with Molly's child.  Plus it is obvious that his real motivation was coming to the U.S.

No, I mean after Luis moved in with Molly, we saw him teaching Spanish words to Kensley. And that’s my point, even someone shady like Luis still managed to do that while Kenny just sits around like a lump and/or cries.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 10/25/2020 at 10:05 PM, John M said:

All I can think is, Deaven, you aren't a fucking princess, you are married, you got knocked up by two losers at this point, you don't get a fairytale. Sorry, you made your choices, Princesses don't get knocked up by shiftless losers.

This.  I think the same thing and then I wonder if I should be feeling bad about it.  Like girl, princess disney fairytale weddings are the purview of single, childless women in their 20s.....and Darcy......and probably Stacy, but not sourfaced Devan.  

Everyone is doing this stupid wedding for Devan and she still is sourfaced.  What map does she have that tells her she is in Utah where this type of wedding would be normal?  Unless production is footing the bill I think they should scrap the wedding completely because its going to cost them money they don't have and Devan is still going to be sourfaced and miserable in all the pictures.  

Also, why does she want to buy a wedding dress?  Its money and storage space they don't have.  And why is it so important for Drascilla to be a flower girl and dance with Jihoon....is there a stepfather/feral child traditional dance in America?  Why would you even trust Drascilla to not run amok?

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
On 10/26/2020 at 3:50 AM, DEL901 said:

Her parents are different religions.  She has said she prefers Judaism because it does not have hell and Christianity does.    I don’t think she has ever studied or really thinks about the rituals.   

Brittany is an idiot.  She doesn’t seem to comprehend that Yazam’s requests aren’t just about some quaint family beliefs.  It is about regional cultural and religious traditions and the consequences of not complying can be severe...look at what happened so far.  He can’t just man-up and live the way she wants.  Also, if she marries him, she can’t just continue the way she has in the US or when she visited Jordan as a tourist.   

And I feel for Sumit’s wife.   She married him in good faith and now she is being humiliated on television as he prefers his geriatric girlfriend.    

eta.  Kenny was a single dad and made all the decisions regarding  his kids.   But Hanna isn’t his and Mexico isn’t Florida.  He doesn’t even speak the language, so he needs to chill.  

Kenny needs to slow his roll ALL the way down.  

Hannah has just been taken away from her extended family, whom she is extremely close to.  She was clearly the center of her grandmother's world.  She is used to having her father's attention all to herself.  Both men are well meaning, and it had to happen, but they are upending this little girls entire life and she has no say in any of it.  She no longer has her friends or her little cousins to play with.  She is stuck with a man she barely knows and can't talk to while Armando is at work.  

But Kenny is worried about some little fucking doo-dads in a market?  You can't let a seven year old have a couple of wins while she adjusts to everything?  Hannah has not demonstrated any awful behavior....yeah, she is a kid, she asks for things and her dad spoils her a little.  I haven't seen a tantrum or even anything more than a little light whining.  She isn't Drascilla.

On 10/26/2020 at 5:03 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

Right? I would have most cordially invited Bini to bite me. 

DEAD.

I think Sumit's wife is in on the con. Sumit will collect the 20K, Jenny will have to go back to the US for Visa regulations, and Sumit will ghost her, while he and Wife Sumit count their money and Jenny sobs into her pillow on her daughter's couch. Maybe he'll even fake his death. HIs brother can text Jenny with the Terrible News. And maybe hit her up for a few hundred bucks for "funeral expenses". 

LOL, in this situation does Jenny get her "promise ring" back?

On 10/26/2020 at 7:34 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

Kenny needs to slow his goddamn roll. His spoiled bunch of whiners are not the goddamn von Trapps. 

At least one of his daughters appeared to be wearing curtains as a dress, so....maybe?

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
21 hours ago, magemaud said:

IIRC, Armando said he and his sister learned English by attending an “international school,” and maybe Hannah doesn’t have the same opportunity in their little Mexican rural compound school. 

I thought he said he spoke it so well (his sister too) from watching American TV Shows...I could be wrong tho.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, RealReality said:

Kenny is coming in too strong.  Hannah may be a little spoiled, but she seems like a lovely little girl.  She left all of her family, she is living with a guy who she doesn't really know and can't speak the language, she is already going to see Kenny as competition for Armando's attention.....and now Kenny is going to try to hardass dad?  He better watch it, because Hannah is going to end up hating him.

100% agree!  Kenny, leave the discipline to Armando and learn some Spanish.  

When I worked in a high school there seemed to be a thread of former single moms with one son marrying a guy in the military.  (It was a large scchool!)  I think the mom's intents were good:  Strict/Structured dad, father figure, etc, but the sons were like Mom and I were fine before. you are not my dad so you can shut it with telling me what to do.

5 hours ago, RealReality said:

But Kenny is worried about some little fucking doo-dads in a market?  You can't let a seven year old have a couple of wins while she adjusts to everything?  Hannah has not demonstrated any awful behavior....yeah, she is a kid, she asks for things and her dad spoils her a little.  I haven't seen a tantrum or even anything more than a little light whining. 

I would bought her both the purse and shaved ice.  Actually I would have lobbied for the shaved ice and I could not stand all those plastic things that kids tend to come with.

Ari, you don't have a car.  Why are you focused on a carseat?  I would be more focused that I just gave birth to a guy who makes $500 a month or so and bangs his ex girlfriend butt like a bongo for work.

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, RealReality said:

Also, why does she want to buy a wedding dress?

In my Google research into Korean wedding customs, I learned that wedding gowns are commonly rented for the occasion, which I think makes so much sense.

• Love 5
On 10/29/2020 at 9:13 AM, Kelly said:
On 10/28/2020 at 11:55 AM, magemaud said:

I thought he said he spoke it so well (his sister too) from watching American TV Shows...I could be wrong tho.

Maybe it was both. I just thought I recalled something about an “international school.” 

Someone commented on it in June: 

[Armando] said he went to a bilingual school and also watched American movies/show."

Edited by magemaud
2 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I would bought her both the purse and shaved ice

I would have bought her the purse, shaved ice AND the 30 peso hair bow! They were shopping at an open air market FFS, not Rodeo Drive. Kenny could have said, “I’d like to buy you something special, which purse do you like?” instead of complaining about Armando being soft and indulging her. 

• Love 16
Just now, magemaud said:

I would have bought her the purse, shaved ice AND the 30 peso hair bow! They were shopping at an open air market FFS, not Rodeo Drive. Kenny could have said, “I’d like to buy you something special, which purse do you like?” instead of complaining about Armando being soft and indulging her. 

True! I forgot the prices were so low! 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Darlabutterfly said:

I've read that some Jewish people have a superstition that it is bad luck to buy or receive anything for the baby until after it is born:

That is very true. I’d always heard it was bad luck to bring anything for the baby into the home before it is born.  She may believe this, but I would think that moving to a developing country would call for better planning even if you are upholding religious beliefs. Apparently running to Walmart in the middle of the night is not an option, so she probably should have planned better considering mom is half a world away.  I’m not knocking her religious beliefs but how exactly was she planning on getting him home if mom was always expected to bring the carseat?  Did she assume she’d go into labor on her exact due date and mom would be able to book a flight and arrive in time for her to be discharged?  I need her to make it make sense. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

That is very true. I’d always heard it was bad luck to bring anything for the baby into the home before it is born.  She may believe this, but I would think that moving to a developing country would call for better planning even if you are upholding religious beliefs. Apparently running to Walmart in the middle of the night is not an option, so she probably should have planned better considering mom is half a world away.  I’m not knocking her religious beliefs but how exactly was she planning on getting him home if mom was always expected to bring the carseat?  Did she assume she’d go into labor on her exact due date and mom would be able to book a flight and arrive in time for her to be discharged?  I need her to make it make sense. 

I believe that is Greek thing, too.  I, too, was not into decking out the nursery ASAP.   These people who have a newborn and think it wil be SO HARD!  Well, Yes the first few weeks can be hard but......the baby is not mobile and sleeps A LOT.

@Pepper Mostly -I am with you.  I think Sumit is in with the wife and waiting out Jenny to go home.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Kelly said:

This is how I remember it too.  I was floored because Armando's english is just SO FLAWLESS.  Maybe I should have watched more telenovelas as a child so I could have picked up flawless spanish.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I found it incredibly rude when Mrs. Shrek Ari told Baby TWICE she thought the baptism was “silly.” RUDE. 

Last week I shared that I found Kenny (who I wanted to like at the start of the season) overbearing and dramatic. And he didn’t fail to deliver in this episode!

All you fine folks have already covered the overbearingness he demonstrated in terms of parenting. On the DRAMATIC side, we have Armando and Hannah sharing a cute, heartfelt, beautiful moment in the car...and in bombs Kenny with (paraphrasing): “Wow lol I can’t understand what you guys are saying lol you guys could TOTALLY BE TALKING SHIT ABOUT ME LOL”

Like...Wtf??? Way to commandeer a nice moment and make it all about KENNY. Who says that about a little girl? Who even thinks that way at freaking 57?? It’s insulting, inflammatory and a blatant cry for positive attention. Last week we had him saying Papa Armando was emitting bad energy...but only at KENNY, of course.

Immature and DRAMATIC!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
12 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

True! I forgot the prices were so low! 

And then a year later you have a child cheap purse hoarder. I thought one of the primary child to adult transition lessons is understanding that just because you can, doesn't mean you should. It's why most of us can manage to go to the grocery store without loading up with candy and cake, regardless of our dreams as a child in a grocery store when no one could tell us no.

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, HelloOutThere said:

I found it incredibly rude when Mrs. Shrek Ari told Baby TWICE she thought the baptism was “silly.” RUDE. 

I mean, it is silly to a lot of people for good reason, it is in fact antithetical to her closest expressed religious beliefs.

My personal view is it is a silly hill to die on, as someone that doesn't hold those beliefs, it's just some water. But do you have any idea how many marriages explode because one partner hid how closely or irreverently they pretended what they said were their sincere religious beliefs were?

They need to discuss this.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, HelloOutThere said:

Last week I shared that I found Kenny (who I wanted to like at the start of the season) overbearing and dramatic. And he didn’t fail to deliver in this episode!

All you fine folks have already covered the overbearingness he demonstrated in terms of parenting. On the DRAMATIC side, we have Armando and Hannah sharing a cute, heartfelt, beautiful moment in the car...and in bombs Kenny with (paraphrasing): “Wow lol I can’t understand what you guys are saying lol you guys could TOTALLY BE TALKING SHIT ABOUT ME LOL”

Like...Wtf??? Way to commandeer a nice moment and make it all about KENNY. Who says that about a little girl? Who even thinks that way at freaking 57?? It’s insulting, inflammatory and a blatant cry for positive attention. Last week we had him saying Papa Armando was emitting bad energy...but only at KENNY, of course.

Immature and DRAMATIC!

Agree, overall, I still like Kenny.  However, it strikes me that Kenny, nearly 60, has been emotional, cried and been overly dramatic on multiple occasions (leaving his kids, seeing his kids, proposing, meeting Armando's family) and sees no problem with his behavior.  

7 year old Hannah has been kind, accepting, happy, pleasant and loving, but Kenny can't cut her a fucking break and expects absolute perfection and for the child to ask for nothing.  

Hannah has to accept all these changes in her life while Kenny cannot accept that Armando might not want to do every single thing on his timetable.  

Basically a seven year old is being held to a higher standard of maturity than a man who is nearly 60.  Kenny needs to think about that.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 16
3 hours ago, John M said:

I mean, it is silly to a lot of people for good reason, it is in fact antithetical to her closest expressed religious beliefs.

My personal view is it is a silly hill to die on, as someone that doesn't hold those beliefs, it's just some water. But do you have any idea how many marriages explode because one partner hid how closely or irreverently they pretended what they said were their sincere religious beliefs were?

They need to discuss this.

Agreed, its a silly hill to die on.  I just think Ari didn't need to be quite so dismissive, because there was no reason for it.  Just agree to do the baptism and be done with it, thee was no need for an aside about how stupid she thought it was. 

However, I don't think Bini is perfect in this regard either.  There are good reasons for circumcision, I am sure......and maybe Bini would have been perfectly fine in the car.  But he seems equally dismissive of Ari.  Maybe she was being crazy to stop the procedure, but talk to her about it, don't just walk away.  And I found it very dismissive of Bini to agree to walk home with the baby and then get in the car anyways.  You both JUST agreed that you would walk the baby home.  Unilaterally ignoring that agreement and getting in the car is dismissive.  

I sort of wonder what happened with the mother of Bini's first child.  Because the more I think on it, the more Bini may be superficially laid back cool and nice, but there may be more under that facade. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, magemaud said:

In my Google research into Korean wedding customs, I learned that wedding gowns are commonly rented for the occasion, which I think makes so much sense.

I rented mine 25 years ago here in MD.  It was awesome because I got to get married in a dress with more embellishments than I would have wanted to afford if I'd have been buying it.  And, even better, the alterations were free (like a tux).  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, RealReality said:

Agreed, its a silly hill to die on.  I just think Ari didn't need to be quite so dismissive, because there was no reason for it.  Just agree to do the baptism and be done with it, thee was no need for an aside about how stupid she thought it was. 

However, I don't think Bini is perfect in this regard either.  There are good reasons for circumcision, I am sure......and maybe Bini would have been perfectly fine in the car.  But he seems equally dismissive of Ari.  Maybe she was being crazy to stop the procedure, but talk to her about it, don't just walk away. 

In the meantime, the same God that Jews and Christians both worship is sitting up in Heaven, looking at these two and saying, "That's not how this works.  That's not how ANY of this works."

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8

I chuckled, only a little, when Bini completely ignored Ari’s proclamation that he walk the baby home and he jumped in the backseat of the car.  Didn’t even pause for a second to let it sink in with her and then he even pushed some more to get a ride.  Sign of things to come?  Like, “well. I’m off to (muffle, muffle) with the baby for a bit.  See ya later.” and come back with the baby baptized.

I. wonder if Ari ever asked her parents about the Circumcision and whether they should do it now or wait.  I’m hoping that when her parents get there, the first thing they do, even before they open all Ari’s presents and imported baby stuff, is have that procedure done.

I still think that Hannah knows at least conversational English.  Her father is such an expert and he’s pretty intelligent so he knows the value of being multilingual.  We spent our childhood with exchange students from Mexico in our home and one of our favorite games was to point at something and say “como se dice“ and we would say it in English and they would say it in Spanish.  To this day, I know lots of words, but my Spanish grammar and tenses are nearly zero.  It is a great bonding experience.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, RealReality said:

This is how I remember it too.  I was floored because Armando's english is just SO FLAWLESS.  Maybe I should have watched more telenovelas as a child so I could have picked up flawless spanish.  

It’s funny you mention that, but my husband watches telenovelas...it has improved his Spanish.  😀

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, RealReality said:

However, I don't think Bini is perfect in this regard either.  There are good reasons for circumcision, I am sure......

There really aren't any good reasons for routine circumcision, In rare cases it is medically necessary and some adult men do it for aesthetic or religious reasons. The two other reasons, hygiene and HIV prevention are, not good reasons, generally speaking.

GENERALLY it is not dangerous, although there are cases of genital disfigurement or in some cases, even amputation. I don't think it is any worse a decision that my step-sister deciding to have her child undergo an otoplasty. The only real reason is that a circumcised penis is considered "normal" in certain cultures and it can prevent embarrassment in situations of communal nudity or sexual partners.

OK, I know it seems like I have really strong opinions on circumcision, I actually don't, but I have a history in public health and HIV in particular and it is a bit of a touchy subject. Statistically circumcision reduces the chances of transmission of HIV from a receptive partner to an insertive partner, but it becomes really messy when you start talking about the idea of consent and if permanently modifying someone's genitals for a small reduction in HIV transmission. PrEP and condoms do a much better job at preventing HIV transmission than circumcision but also circumcision is a one time reduction in risk while condoms and PrEP have to be used properly consistently. All of this gets a lot messier in this context because a bunch of white people have tried circumcision campaigns to prevent HIV in black people in Africa, often with, not great informed consent and favoring it over other possibly more productive interventions and education measures that often came very close if not crossing the line into arguments that black Africans could not be trusted to properly use condoms or give truly informed consent. 

My general sense is few adult men have any thoughts regarding if they are circumcised or not, but it is a permanent medical procedure that can always be done as an adult or only if it is deemed medically necessary.

Any now you have way too much information on circumcision from a person that has heard way too many battles over circumcision in the context of public health and HIV.

Edited by John M
  • Useful 5
  • Love 4
On 10/29/2020 at 8:13 AM, Kelly said:

That's what I remembered hearing also.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Kelly said:

It’s funny you mention that, but my husband watches telenovelas...it has improved his Spanish.  😀

How often does he get to use, "You ignorant loser.  I SPIT on your grave."  (At least that's what they all look like they're saying to each other.)

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
On 10/25/2020 at 1:46 PM, Neurochick said:

Bini said, it's not a law in Ethiopia to have a car seat. 

Does Ari even know where she is?  

To me Ari, Brittany and Jenny are three peas in a pod.  All of them probably thought it was "cute" being with a "foreign" man.  They probably thought it would be "exotic."  Now shit is getting real and they can't deal.  

But I really detest Ari.  To me she seems to be a person who is in another country and wants everything to be the way it is in the US.  Ari, if you wanted things to be like in the US, then STAY IN THE FUCKING US.  

I didn't like the sheep either but I didn't have a baby with an Ethiopian man and decide to have the baby in Ethiopia.  This is HIS CULTURE and you are in HIS COUNTRY so shut your fucking pie hole and deal.  Is Ari a vegetarian?   

totally agree with u. ari is absolutely insufferable and i’m not entirely convinced she’s not delayed in someway.

if not that then highly pampered and privileged. 

it was all fun and games when she was in her birthing class in the US bragging about her super special plans to birth in ethiopia... only to end up hysterical and knocked out under general anesthesia.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Here are my thoughts on some of the couples in this recent episode “Bris-fully Ignorant”:

I’m so relieved I don’t have to see Cheesedick Tim and Melyza this week. I’m honestly sick and tired of them. They’re dragging this out just to be on TV.

Jenny and Summit: I love them, but Sumit shouldn’t accept the promise ring yet. He's not divorced. Talk about forcing the lemon tree to fruit in the middle of a snow blizzard. And also, I could do without you airing the sex talk part. Thank you.

Kenny and Armando: Okay, I know this is my favorite couple so far, and I really want them to make it. However, Kenny needs to take a step back when it comes to Armando parenting Hannah. He’s new at parenting a child that’s not his and Armando is new at having a second parent in the mix. I think he should maybe approach it differently and needs to remember that everyone “parents” different. 

They should sit down and talk about parenting together and what that looks like for them because eventually that can tear a relationship apart by having different parenting ideas. 

Also, Kenny REALLY needs to learn Spanish. In fact, he pushes too hard on lots of stuff towards Armando.  I love Armando and his daughter. 💕 She deserves to be a little pampered, she just left all she's ever known behind.

Brittany and Yazan: Man, Brittany is such a selfish twat. She walks around with that smug smirk nonstop. I swear there’d be a building  burning down, and she’d still stand there with  the dumb smirk. She just wants to be on TV and doesn’t give a damn about getting her or Yazan killed.

Ari and Bini: Man, I don’t know what to say here. I really feel for Ari. She just had a traumatic birth experience and then comes home to a goat slaughter and Biniyam’s family pressuring her. That’s too much.

There is absolutely no chance that Ari will compromise with Bini over the parenting of that baby. They won’t last. I bet she will be back with her parents before that baby is 2. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I wasn’t surprised about the lack of car seats in Ethiopia. When I adopted my children from China in 2004 and 2007 there were no car seats. We were there each time for 2 weeks, no car seat the entire trips. Car seats aren’t common in many countries like they are in the US. In China there were some very scary drivers. By the end of the 2 weeks, not having a car seat didn’t really faze me. Baby Aviel would have been better off in the car being held by Ari, as opposed to Biniyam navigating the streets in the hot weather while trying to hold both a newborn and an umbrella. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Hotel Snarker said:

Ari and Bini: Man, I don’t know what to say here. I really feel for Ari. She just had a traumatic birth experience and then comes home to a goat slaughter and Biniyam’s family pressuring her. That’s too much.

There is absolutely no chance that Ari will compromise with Bini over the parenting of that baby. They won’t last. I bet she will be back with her parents before that baby is 2. 

Ari is one of those people that you just can't feel sorry for even if you should. Bini is the child's father and has just as much right as she does to have a say. The girls on 16 and Pregnant are more mature than she is.

That his family visited right away and had questions about the baptism and stuff is their way of life. Ari was tired, again, I get it, but that is their culture. They were not doing that to be mean to her, or irritate her but that is the way she took it. They were just being them. And Ari is too stunted and has no ability to think of anything but herself. When her mother gets there, I'd say Bini will be totally shut out.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Ari is one of those people that you just can't feel sorry for even if you should. Bini is the child's father and has just as much right as she does to have a say. The girls on 16 and Pregnant are more mature than she is.

That his family visited right away and had questions about the baptism and stuff is their way of life. Ari was tired, again, I get it, but that is their culture. They were not doing that to be mean to her, or irritate her but that is the way she took it. They were just being them. And Ari is too stunted and has no ability to think of anything but herself. When her mother gets there, I'd say Bini will be totally shut out.

u hit the nail on the head here. once mommy enabler (mother ari) comes back to ethiopia to “save” ari from all the scary ethnic people and their audacity to be themselves and honor their own culture in their homeland.... it’ll be over between our heavy-on-the-eyebrows princess and bini

brittney and that shit eating grin... can one person truly be this dense? her mom and sister seem relatively normal. what is she not getting about modesty being necessary for survival in jordan? 

MAY-LEE-SAH and teeem- so glad to have not had to see them. may-lee-sah is the colombian version of devan. perpetually pitiful. 

armando and kenny- i love armando and hannah, what a little sweetie. kenny, get over yourself, pumpkin. she’s a kid and just left everything she knows. let’s not be in semi-passive competition with a child- u will not win this one.

devan- i dunno if she was even in the episode- i fast forward thru her scenes.

jenny and su-MEAT- jenny, GIRL. what a blow you’ve been dealt, what with your lack of common sense. enjoy what u can of this while it lasts, hun. i suspect you’ll be back stateside soon. 

at this point i’m hate watching with no plans to quit. 

• Love 6