Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

sheetmoss

The Trouble With Maggie Cole

Recommended Posts

The Trouble With Maggie Cole (PBS at 8pm ET)

   ETA: On my PBS station it's on Sun evening

See what happens when idle gossip escalates out of control and starts to affect people’s lives.

Set in a picturesque fishing village, the series centers on Maggie Cole (Dawn French,), the oracle of this close-knit community.

Edited by sheetmoss

Share this post


Link to post

Glad this forum is here!  I've seen several of the actors in other series.  Dawn French was so good in the Vicar of Dibley, good to see her here.  

Maggie opened a huge can of worms, and I suspect the reporter knew exactly what he was doing by plying her with G&Ts during the "lunch" interview.  I do hope she is forgiveable.  I liked her husband, and her daughter-in-law was funny.  I laughed when I saw Peter update his days until retirement on the chalkboard.  I did the same thing on a calendar when I was several months out from my retirement day.

The sites are just lovely.  In one of the "after shows," the cast talked about how the barbecue was supposed to be on a warm sunny day, and it was actually quite cold, and they filmed over a two-day period.  It looked bright and sunny, but it was cold!

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Glad this forum is here!  I've seen several of the actors in other series.  Dawn French was so good in the Vicar of Dibley, good to see her here.  

Maggie opened a huge can of worms, and I suspect the reporter knew exactly what he was doing by plying her with G&Ts during the "lunch" interview.  I do hope she is forgiveable.  I liked her husband, and her daughter-in-law was funny.  I laughed when I saw Peter update his days until retirement on the chalkboard.  I did the same thing on a calendar when I was several months out from my retirement day.

The sites are just lovely.  In one of the "after shows," the cast talked about how the barbecue was supposed to be on a warm sunny day, and it was actually quite cold, and they filmed over a two-day period.  It looked bright and sunny, but it was cold!

I loved Vicar of Dibley, so was looking forward to seeing Dawn French again.  But this was pretty bad, in my opinion - not funny, not dramatic, just kind of awkward and unbelievable.  I will try another episode but, other than the scenery which is lovely, this is not too promising.  So disappointed.

 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Glad this forum is here!  I've seen several of the actors in other series.  Dawn French was so good in the Vicar of Dibley, good to see her here.  

Maggie opened a huge can of worms, and I suspect the reporter knew exactly what he was doing by plying her with G&Ts during the "lunch" interview.  I do hope she is forgiveable.  I liked her husband, and her daughter-in-law was funny.  I laughed when I saw Peter update his days until retirement on the chalkboard.  I did the same thing on a calendar when I was several months out from my retirement day.

The sites are just lovely.  In one of the "after shows," the cast talked about how the barbecue was supposed to be on a warm sunny day, and it was actually quite cold, and they filmed over a two-day period.  It looked bright and sunny, but it was cold!

I’ll keep watching because I adore Dawn and I adore charming English villages but otherwise, eh. The actor who plays her hubby was the postman in Lark Rise to Candleford. He was perfect in that show and I liked him in this one. I can’t believe how patient he is with her so far. The reporter 100% knew what he was doing by plying her with drinks. I would have been on the phone with my lawyer immediately regarding the entire situation. I predict that the village forgives her and that her son and DIL announce that a baby is on the way before the series ends. BTW, I had a retirement countdown clock on my laptop FOUR YEARS before I retired, so I really got a chuckle out of the calendar! I hated that job.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

I thought this was going to be a murder mystery at first like you know "who killed the vile cow"? or something like that.  It finally occurred to me to check in the comedy section and -voila - here you guys are.

Well, the scenery is gorgeous and the actors are good and it's a 6 episodes limited series, which hopefully means a satisfying conclusion. I'll keep watching.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, didn't care for this at all.

Didn't like the characters, didn't like the relationships, and most of the plots were awful.  And all this suspense about hidden secrets that really just weren't interesting either.

Scenery was gorgeous though, so I guess not a total loss.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm trying to like Maggie (I love Dawn French), but she's pretty awful. She wants people to forgive her on her schedule, still doesn't take complete responsibility for the interview ("it was taken out of context!"—no, it wasn't), etc. She got lucky the doctor was unhappy with the fallout and let Maggie off the hook so publicly.

The tone of this show is uneven. Is it a comedy? Is it a dramedy? I can't quite tell, and whatever we saw at the beginning of this episode, someone getting hit by a car, wasn't shown later. Huh?

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

I do like this show, and I like Maggie. I understand her wanting forgiveness NOW!  But she needs to realize patience is needed, and come to know that not all is forgivable.  Jill was rather sharp with her, and understandably so.  Some mysteries are starting to unravel.  How did the young couple come into the money?  What’s the story with the (Polish) pub owner?

I’m also wondering about the person being hit by the car.  I saw that at the intro to last week’s episode and wondered about it then as well.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I'm trying to like Maggie (I love Dawn French), but she's pretty awful. She wants people to forgive her on her schedule, still doesn't take complete responsibility for the interview ("it was taken out of context!"—no, it wasn't), etc. She got lucky the doctor was unhappy with the fallout and let Maggie off the hook so publicly.

The tone of this show is uneven. Is it a comedy? Is it a dramedy? I can't quite tell, and whatever we saw at the beginning of this episode, someone getting hit by a car, wasn't shown later. Huh?

My guide said it was a comedy, drama.  Loved the scenery. The plot is ok.  

Share this post


Link to post

Dawn French's characters usually irritate me to no end and this is no exception. I did watch the whole series on PBS Passport and I will say, it does get better. Especially one delightful relationship in particular, but no spoilers. Worth the watch for the other characters, but not for DF's PITA Maggie, IMNSHO. As a dramedy, it's a bit of a dud due to that.

I think we're getting these older, lesser-known series because of Covid and the lack of new shows to put on. Hopefully, they're getting them for a low price!

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

On 10/26/2020 at 11:53 AM, dubbel zout said:

I'm trying to like Maggie (I love Dawn French), but she's pretty awful. She wants people to forgive her on her schedule, still doesn't take complete responsibility for the interview ("it was taken out of context!"—no, it wasn't), etc. She got lucky the doctor was unhappy with the fallout and let Maggie off the hook so publicly.

Yeah, I'm super annoyed by her. She's not sympathetic at all. And I can't blame the reporter, either. She got drunk at an interview -- she KNEW it was a media event, it's not like she ws confiding in her husband in a private setting, and she spewed vicious gossip and unverified rumors. Now she's wanting to be let off the hook the very next day, and is defiant when they don't want to, and resentful about people being upset. Even if it had been a confidence given to her spouse, in private, some of what she said was really cruel.

I live in a small town, and you  know that what you say will travel and have consequences. She can't just act like this is blameless, perfectly normal behavior. 

  • Love 9

Share this post


Link to post

The Maggie character annoys the crap out of me. I love the scenery and will keep watching because I like Dawn. But I’m hoping Maggie is the one who gets hit by the car. (I only say that because she is a fictional character.)

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, i am watching, but not really enjoying this show.  Maggie is selfish and too self-centered and expects people to instantly forget and forgive her.

And, can somebody tell me how the guy that found all that money happened upon it? I guess I dozed thru that part.

And to burn it all seems pretty creepy - why not put it back or put it somewhere and then call the police to report it.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, cinsays said:

And, can somebody tell me how the guy that found all that money happened upon it? I guess I dozed thru that part.

And to burn it all seems pretty creepy - why not put it back or put it somewhere and then call the police to report it.

Did they steal it? I kind of doze through this series as well, heh. Maggie said she thought they won the lottery, so for the couple to call and say they stumbled across a bag of cash would be suspicious. Leaving it for someone else to find is also dicey, and they wouldn't know if that person would keep it or call the police. I guess burning it is one way to get rid of it without involving anyone else.

I had the episode on mute because I was on a phone call, and the only thing I could figure out is that the best friend and the author are dating. Go, you guys!

Share this post


Link to post

From what I could tell, the guy who found the $$ and his son were playing near some place built of stone (old relic? abandoned church? something like that). The kid pushed back a board and found a bag in a little recess and a pound note was sticking out from either the bag or a board in the recess. He called dad, dad saw all the loot and took the bag home. I really wasn’t that interested but that is a feeble description of what happened. They could have anonymously donated the $$ to various charities rather than burn it. I wonder if the guy who owes all the gambling debt will ask $$dad for a loan to pay the debt since Maggie has publicized (incorrectly) that the couple won the lottery.

 

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

I thought I posted last night, but it disappeared.

Well, now we know how Kelly & Neil "won the lottery."  Wish they had turned in the money, or as mentioned upthread, donated anonymously to charities.  Kind of feel badly for Alex, the bloke who had hidden the money, but not too much.  Ill-gotten gains and all that.

Maggie and Peter are going to be grandparents!  Hope they don't overwhelm Jamie and Becka, though.

Wonder how the budding romance between Jill and Marcus will work out, or not.

Peter's secretary/gate keeper is loyal and ferocious.  Does she have a crush, or just acting the way she would for any headmaster?

Kelly was really sweet with her confession to Maggie.  She had fond memories of their honeymoon at the B&B, and Neil really put the place down, not knowing how she felt about it.

Just three more episodes?

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

Peter's secretary/gate keeper is loyal and ferocious.  Does she have a crush, or just acting the way she would for any headmaster?

I think she has a crush, because last episode she was going to talk to Peter in the pub and then she saw Maggie and turned around before anyone could see her.

1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

Just three more episodes?

This works for me. I don't think this is the kind of show that should be dragged out.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I think she has a crush, because last episode she was going to talk to Peter in the pub and then she saw Maggie and turned around before anyone could see her.

This works for me. I don't think this is the kind of show that should be dragged out.

and she was going to bring him some cookies  but then conditions stopped her in her tracks, so i think definitely a crush

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/2/2020 at 1:31 PM, cinsays said:

and she was going to bring him some cookies  but then conditions stopped her in her tracks, so i think definitely a crush

If she's trying to practice witchcraft on Peter, it's not working. Everyone knows you bite the legs off the cookie, so it can't run away.

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

On 10/26/2020 at 12:58 PM, howiveaddict said:

My guide said it was a comedy, drama.  Loved the scenery. The plot is ok.  

I adore the scenery. I've always wanted to live in Cornwall.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I love Maggie’s jammies!

Me too! I’m going to look for them! 

I wonder what the secret with Maggie’s son is? I love the DIL’s wit and attitude about Maggie. I figured that Alex would put 2+2 together that the lotto couple found his money. Too bad they’ve already burned it. I’m so excited that Jill is involved with the author! Go get it, girl! This episode was a bit more enjoyable for me than the last episodes or should I say it didn’t annoy me as much.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Me too! I’m going to look for them! 

I wonder what the secret with Maggie’s son is? I love the DIL’s wit and attitude about Maggie. I figured that Alex would put 2+2 together that the lotto couple found his money. Too bad they’ve already burned it. I’m so excited that Jill is involved with the author! Go get it, girl! This episode was a bit more enjoyable for me than the last episodes or should I say it didn’t annoy me as much.

This episode was ok, but I am not finding all that much happening.  And ending on that cliff hanger about the big secret? I will suffer thru another episode, but the only things i am finding at all interesting is Jill and the author and the secretary's infatuation with Maggie's husband. 

I wish they would have more time with the episodes instead of these lame discussions with the cast. Or at least show Dawn in some other clothes - that outfit is pretty awful.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

Did anyone get a glimpse of the big secret while Maggie was scrolling?  I supposed we will find out next week.  I saw the son’s college cap and gown picture, so I hope the big scandal isn’t that Jamie didn’t actually graduate.  While it may be an embarrassment or an eyebrow raiser, I don’t see that being the ruination of Maggie.  I can’t imagine a reporter or a Nosey Parker from the village would think that would be that worthy a story to chase down.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

12 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I wonder what the secret with Maggie’s son is?

I don't care what it is. I'm going to watch this show until the bitter end, but it's very unsatisfying. Maggie is STILL talking about how her comments were taken out of context, but at least after her talk with the shopkeeper's daughter she realizes there is no context that stuff would be suitable. 

18 minutes ago, cinsays said:

I wish they would have more time with the episodes instead of these lame discussions with the cast.

I think the extra time is because PBS doesn't have commercial breaks. (You know what I mean.) We see the same discussions each week; I'd rather get the schedule for the upcoming week.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

Did anyone get a glimpse of the big secret while Maggie was scrolling?  I supposed we will find out next week.  I saw the son’s college cap and gown picture, so I hope the big scandal isn’t that Jamie didn’t actually graduate.  While it may be an embarrassment or an eyebrow raiser, I don’t see that being the ruination of Maggie.  I can’t imagine a reporter or a Nosey Parker from the village would think that would be that worthy a story to chase down.

I couldn't read it either. Peter is acting very off though. I think it;s something to do with his health maybe?

Loved that crack from Marcus when that woman was talking about never having heard of him but she had heard of a couple other authors, one being Stephen King. "Yeah, we all live together."

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

The secretary obviously tipped off the press. Methinks it's something about the husband that the secretary found out through her job. She thinks it will break up Maggie's marriage and she will grab him. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Loved that crack from Marcus when that woman was talking about never having heard of him but she had heard of a couple other authors, one being Stephen King. "Yeah, we all live together."

Same! And the look on her face was great. An instant of "Really?" and then the realization that he was being facetious. 

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/26/2020 at 11:53 AM, dubbel zout said:

I'm trying to like Maggie (I love Dawn French), but she's pretty awful. She wants people to forgive her on her schedule, still doesn't take complete responsibility for the interview ("it was taken out of context!"—no, it wasn't), etc. She got lucky the doctor was unhappy with the fallout and let Maggie off the hook so publicly.

The tone of this show is uneven. Is it a comedy? Is it a dramedy? I can't quite tell, and whatever we saw at the beginning of this episode, someone getting hit by a car, wasn't shown later. Huh?

Are we supposed to feel sorry or forgive this nasty woman? I am perplexed that most everyone she slandered is. I hope her former best friend never does. Maggie showed her true colors when inebriated.  It looks like the actress has gained even more weight. Though I like her in her roles, I always have a bad feeling she won’t be around for a long time due to being morbidly obese. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/2/2020 at 9:53 AM, cinsays said:

Yeah, i am watching, but not really enjoying this show.  Maggie is selfish and too self-centered and expects people to instantly forget and forgive her.

And, can somebody tell me how the guy that found all that money happened upon it? I guess I dozed thru that part.

And to burn it all seems pretty creepy - why not put it back or put it somewhere and then call the police to report it.

Why not donate to an animal shelter? was all I though. What freakin morons to burn money! I hope they get caught 😡

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

So by these replies I'm guessing this is airing weekly?  I've already seen all the episodes on the app - I thought everyone else had access too, but maybe its just with passport.

But yeah, this was not a satisfying series at all.

And yes, what kind of an idiot burns money??  At least donate it to a worthy cause.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

I find it fairly boring and can’t seem to follow any of the storylines.  Perhaps I am not paying enough attention, but I just don’t know who most of these people are.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

I’m still liking this.  I asked up thread  if Karen had a crush on Peter; clearly shown this episode, the answer is emphatically Yes! Jill certainly happened along at the wrong time, didn’t she?

Now that I know where Alex got the money, I have more sympathy for him.  The money burning is even more stupid than before!

The conversation with the pub owner Brian and employee Sydney was good and provided more explanation.  No rooms? Taken by the guys seeking Alex, I think.

Lastly, Jill and Marcus are so cute together.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

I don't see why the secret would have been considered a big scandal. it was a sporting event. It's not like the son mugged somebody on the street.

Right? He didn't put him in a come with intent. Who knew the guy had a brain aneurysm? 

  • Love 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Right? He didn't put him in a come with intent. Who knew the guy had a brain aneurysm? 

I am glad they explained the "scandal."  I certainly couldn't figure it out using the postings/pictures.  But yes, not Jamie's fault at all.  This recap is helpful, as well. https://interactive.wttw.com/playlist/2020/11/15/trouble-maggie-cole-recap-episode-5

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

11 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I am glad they explained the "scandal."  I certainly couldn't figure it out using the postings/pictures.  But yes, not Jamie's fault at all.  This recap is helpful, as well. https://interactive.wttw.com/playlist/2020/11/15/trouble-maggie-cole-recap-episode-5

That's a scandal?????? Ridiculous

And why would Maggie's husband have told his secretary about this (or at least suggested enough that she was able to dig into it and find out the details) but not Maggie?

And why would Brian open up and confess his past secret about deserting the military to Maggie?  I wouldn't trust her with a secret that important. That's just crazy. 

  • Love 6
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

 I asked up thread  if Karen had a crush on Peter; clearly shown this episode, the answer is emphatically Yes!

"Crush" is being kind. She's unhealthily obsessed with him. I fully expect a boiled pet rabbit or something similar to show up next episode.

Add me to the list of people disappointed in the big "secret" with Peter and his son. I don't understand why they didn't tell Maggie. I also find it kind of curious she wasn't there when it happened, given her involvement in his life.

I am growing more and more bored with this show.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

I see on IMDB that episode 6 which airs on Sunday is the last for season 1. Please don’t tell me that there will be more seasons of this ridiculous character. I have already been disappointed by Flesh and Blood and the thought that that horribly written show will return. Please stop wasting the talent of so many really good actors! 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

I think they said Maggie wasn't there because she was opposed to the kid participating and dad took him behind her back? That's why they didn't tell her, but it's a weak reason, considering the events that followed.

  • Love 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

All's well that ends well?  Lots of tying up loose ends, mostly satisfactorily.  Favorite bit was Peter dunking the reporter's phone in the coffee!

As a stand-alone mini series, I enjoyed this.  I don't think we need any more episodes/stories with these characters, though.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not sure what I expected, but the ending of this was so pat, everything wrapped up in a very tidy bow. Pfft.

I don't need to see more with these people, either.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Well, if this is the last of it, good, but I did not care much for this episode or the ending.

So what happens with the guy who owed the goons all that money? Are we supposed to think that their dirty business was uncovered and they went away to jail for life? Who were these guys anyway?  Bookies? Mafiosa?  The guy did steal family money, is that now ok?

Does Peter's secretary lose her job?

The only kind of cute thing was Maggie's friend in the hospital finding a nice relationship with the author.

I really don't find any of these characters very interesting and the plot, if there is one, is way to scattered.

 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size