Type keyword(s) to search

I Love A Mama’s Boy - General Discussion

• Start Topic

TLC's newest series about a "different kind of love triangle" which follows the love between a girlfriend, her boyfriend and his mother.

Meet the love triangles:

Stephanie (25), Mike (25), and Mom Liz (49)

Emily (24), Shekeb (30), and Mom Laila (61) 

Justina (26), Jason (28), and Mom Annette (49)

Kim (25), Matt (28), and Mom Kelly (56)

Premiers: Sunday, October 25 at 10PM ET/PT.

(edited)

So far:

Stephanie, Mike , and Mom Liz (the woman with the model son right?) I think mom lusts after Mike.

Emily, Shekeb, and Mom Laila :  I think mom wanted another Muslim girl. He didn't say what happened to wife #1 but i am guessing divorce?

Kim, Matt, and Mom Kelly : my god this one again would be in the bedroom with her son if she could.  She wants Kim to be under her thumb.  There is no harm in living somewhere near by.

These women need to run run as fast as they can away from these dudes.f

What's with all of them planning a threesome celebration for Valentine's day?

Edited by greekmom
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
12 minutes ago, CSunshine76 said:

I don’t get why these women stick around.  I would RUN from these momma’s boys.  It’s not attractive.  Matt is very effeminate too, I doubt that helps matters.

Effeminate yes.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

This hits kind of close for me from the past. Dominating mother plus passive son equals disaster in most cases. Shame on these mothers for manipulating the sons like that, no matter how they justify it. 

• Love 14
Just now, CSunshine76 said:

I thought lingerie shopping with mom was bad. And then the fool goes and buys his mom and girlfriend the same robe. WTF. So gross!!

I loved how the store employee was trying to explain social norms (his wife comes first) but mom didn't like her and wouldn't hear it.

What bothered me is the 'we' talk in proposing to Kim. I mean dude grow a pair.

• Like 1
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, seasons said:

This hits kind of close for me from the past. Dominating mother plus passive son equals disaster in most cases. Shame on these mothers for manipulating the sons like that, no matter how they justify it. 

Same here - ancient times but how his mom and actually entire family treated me still hurts.

I was getting hypertensive just watching some of the previews. I didn't intend to watch, but one of the more lengthy previews grabbed my attention.

Kim and Matt - mom scolds Kim for wanting to live nearby but off her property and Matt is so in the FOG (fear, obligation, guilt) that he scolds her as well. He can't even see why it's so unreasonable to refuse to move off the property, even though he's supposed to convert what looks like an ugly carriage house into a home. Mom gaslights them both by bringing up that moving away was a mistake - because her widdle boy had separation anxiety. So obviously, moving away was a mistake, 🙄 and neither Matt nor Kim opine otherwise.

Mom also has him in such thrall because of his childhood illness that he thinks, like she does, that he owes slavish devotion to her for the rest of his life. She gets him to buy her lingerie. 🤮 She's turned him into a sonsband, which most, if not all of these moms have done.

Emily and Shekeb - his mom is such a narcissistic person that she thinks the entire world revolves around her. Somewhat the opposite of Matt's mom, she has her son thinking that because she was ill, he dare not question any of her commandments for the rest of his life, and must also devote his entire life to her.

She is a toxic witch who refuses to be even slightly civil to Emily, and he in turn can't for the life of him see how twisted and lame it is to celebrate Valentine's Day with her as if she was his lover. He married his first wife, not because he wanted to, but to placate his mom because of his fear (FOG again). She now says the wife was "perfect" for him, though he disagrees. I doubt she felt the same at the time. My GMIL was just about as horrid to my MIL, who became St. Jean as soon as wife #2 showed up.

Mike and Steph - controlling mom oversees his diet by going through their kitchen and they have to hide their food! She brings them food she expects them to eat. Both of them are fit - I don't think they need her opinion but they both roll over like submissive dogs. She calls him morning and night daily. She breaks down in tears wailing that he will leave her. He's her everything and she's great at guilt manipulation. She also gives off the mother wife vibe. She manipulated him into buying a cheaper gift for his girl's birthday, so he could buy her some jewelry, too.

Really, I wasn't going to watch this show because Debbie is more than I can take all on her own.

• Like 1
  • Love 9

One thing I took away from all this is - where are the dads?!?!  If a partner is not in the picture are they either a) punishing the son's bc the son's sabotaged their dating opportunities when they were younger and b) if the shoe was on the foot (i.e. mom was dating and son was the 3rd wheel) how would they feel?  Would they appreciate the sonsband at that point?

• Love 8
6 hours ago, greekmom said:

One thing I took away from all this is - where are the dads?!?!  If a partner is not in the picture are they either a) punishing the son's bc the son's sabotaged their dating opportunities when they were younger and b) if the shoe was on the foot (i.e. mom was dating and son was the 3rd wheel) how would they feel?  Would they appreciate the sonsband at that point?

I remember one of them, (I think the model) the dad died. The Afghani, his dad is in the picture I think. 

I did witness A LOT of bad acting. It seemed like on Smothered, they played up the agenda quite a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Love these trash shows.  Sister Wives, 16 and Pregnant, 90 Day Fiance are awesome. Not one single person on this show is likeable. The men are weak,  the women are stupid and the mothers are the worst of all. You should want your beloved adult child to be happy in a healthy relationship. If not, you are a bad parent. I get that this is scripted reality, but I think there's some real unhealthy bonds here. 

• Love 12
18 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Love these trash shows.  Sister Wives, 16 and Pregnant, 90 Day Fiance are awesome. Not one single person on this show is likeable. The men are weak,  the women are stupid and the mothers are the worst of all. You should want your beloved adult child to be happy in a healthy relationship. If not, you are a bad parent. I get that this is scripted reality, but I think there's some real unhealthy bonds here. 

Yes, some of the mothers don't look like they're really acting.  😵

• Love 11

Awww, geeez, I’m back for more of this crap show because I need something to take my mind off the election.

This Jason dude has bad gum disease, they are red and swollen and they look painful. He really needs to get his teeth cleaned ASAP.

Maybe his mom can floss his teeth after trimming his nose hair...

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

Ack! Shekeb runs off in the middle of the Valentine's dinner like his mom is on fire. Not surprisingly, this is a tactic she has used before. No, Emily, your relationship with his mom will never improve because she thinks nothing of you and couldn't care less about having a relationship with you The only thing she wants to see of you is your rear walking out the door, never to return. Get out while you can.

Obnoxious Annette (?) thinks she's the one who's going to be walking out of the ceremony with Jason? I love red, but he looks horrid in that getup. "Bride" mama will look ridiculous dressed up to match him. I feel horrible for the real bride. I hope she dumps him. He didn't care at all how she felt while his gross mother steamrolled all over her. He's no prize.

Nose hair trimming. Good Lord. My long ago ex's mom used to tweeze his eyebrows in front of me on their family room floor. Same woman who pinned me down, with his help and forcibly removed my makeup because she didn't like my eyeliner. They thought it was great fun to humiliate me.

Girls, run! You are not first in these guys' lives and never will be. They love the women fighting over them and are cases of arrested development. And their moms are whack.

• Love 14

As a psychologist, I am GREATLY intrigued by this stupid show.  Yes, there is a bit of play acting going on, but the worst stuff seems to be real.  As a wife, I can't tell you how triggered I get.  My MiL is a POS and both tried to undermine me and manipulate her son and I.  We cut that cord quickly after his father died b/c of her high level of toxicity.  This is an unusual move for people in my culture, but we are better off for it.   As a daughter, my mom is tough.  At 73, she ain't nobody to fuck with, and I'm her only child, so you can imagine the tiger mom/mama bear shit that happened throughout my life. 

Sweet baby Jesus, all of these people need a therapist, some boundaries set, and in some cases, a small slap to the back of the head. 

Imma start with the Afgani folks.  As a South Asian woman, I can't tell you how incredibly on brand it was for this mean women to manipulate her son left, right, and center.  From the "who do you love more?" to the tears to the call of being hurt at the restaurant.  That shit is EXACTLY what happens in South Asian households too.  We may be a patriarchy, but the elder moms and aunties rule the roost with their tiny iron, jewelry clad fists. I'll always be more scared of my mom and aunts than I will of my dad and my uncles.  I'm 37, FFS.  I can't wait to see the father next week b/c I'm sure he is going to stand meekly by and watch her be disgusting with Emily.  Now that isn't something I'm used to b/c you never want to bring shame in a group setting like that.  Emily needs to get out of there.  I don't care that he's a "great guy", he would set you on fire if it meant his precious mom wouldn't get a papercut.  

Jason and Juliette and their baby are cute together.  My husband pointed out an unfortunate resemblance to 90 Day Fiancé Coltie, so that sucks.  His mom is so overbearing, and it is clear that nobody in that house, except maybe Jason's sister, tells her shit.  They probably find it easier to roll over than to deal with her, but that shopkeeper lady at the tux place was me.  Also, that jacket looked tacky and horrid, and did him no favors.  I need Juliette to stand up for herself.  I was surprised the dad was so attractive (in an older dude kinda way), but when we repeated stored his balls in her purse, I was out. 

My friends and I live chat each other while watching this and we all got a vibe from Matt.  Like. I don't know if he is exclusively a straight man as he is presenting here.  And look, as long as all parties are honest and good, that is none of my damn business.  The robe thing and the sleepy time tea togetherness is just so cringey. And that "house" that is going to be a converted garage isn't going to be great.  

The model and his girl seem genuinely great, but the mom looks like a nightmare with her 90s fried hair and obsession with healthy eating. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
On 10/26/2020 at 12:24 PM, ShaNaeNae said:

I remember one of them, (I think the model) the dad died. The Afghani, his dad is in the picture I think. 

I did witness A LOT of bad acting. It seemed like on Smothered, they played up the agenda quite a bit. 

My husband and I bet that Shekeb's dad is off doing what he wants while Shekeb is playing husband to his unbearable mom. I think he likes being spoiled and obsessed over + she uses the past cancer to keep him guilty. I wouldn't be surprised if dad has a longtime girlfriend or several dalliances along the years.

Kim and Matt: Kim may talk a good game but, this is about power not love for Matt. She wants to stake her claim as new mommy and is swept up in the power fight with mom. In addition, Kim wants the money. She will complain until the cows come home or Matt comes out but in the end she's not giving up a free house, reality stardom and the chance to inherit when mean mommy dies. Kim will hang on until the bitter end and she probably believes the viewers will be on her side.

Edited by red12
  • Love 3
On 10/26/2020 at 7:22 AM, greekmom said:

I think that's the problem.  The mothers have no partner, they're emotionally incesting their sons.

A woman I was acquainted with was like some of these women.  She hated every woman her eldest son brought home (even though she wasn't much of a mother to her son when he when he was yonger )  One day her son met a woman that he fell in love with, his mom hated her.  He told his mother that he was going to get married to the woman but he didn't tell her when.  His mother had a lot of health problems, she needed a way to go to the wedding because it was far from where she lived.  

So he gets married and didn't send a car or anything to take her to the wedding.  He just called and said, "I'm getting married in an hour."  There was no way she could have come to the wedding.  She has not spoken to her son in about 3 years.  

• Love 8

These women (the gfs) are basically hitting their heads against a wall. Best course is to just dump these guys and move on. Find a nice guy with a normal mom.  (especially Emily).

Guys and moms just need to do the deed and get it over with. (Sorry I know it's gross but comeon, they are hinting at it pretty strongly).

The thing is mom is going to die someday.  They are really crippling their sons by being the be all and end all in their life.  The day mom goes, son will want to find a nice girl to fill the hole and they won't be able to have a healthy relationship even with mom not in the picture.

Also, what about sex? Any guy who chooses spending time with mom over sleeping with his gf has sexual issues.

• Love 8

The girlfriends are a special kind of stupid to be sleeping with dudes who treat them this poorly. I can't imagine being attracted to these baby boys. 

The guy who is a model might be physically attractive to someone but, him gushing in front of his girlfriend about buying his mom a more expensive gift on the girlfriend's birthday would have gotten him dumped if she wasn't so fixated on a ring before 30. All of these girls will live to regret getting what they want.

• Love 17

This show has to be 95 percent scripted.  No way these grown men let these mentally ill women (mom wives) run their lives.  The sickest one has to be Laila.  Also there is no excuse for the “girlfriends” not be speaking up more.  This is a million times worse than Smothered.

• Love 13

Intriguing comment about Leila’s hubs maybe having action on the side.  That never occurred to me, but he’s good looking -especially compared to her-so there maybe something in that.  The rude, unforgivable way Leila treats Emily is just terrible to watch.  Leila is trying to best Debbie as The Worst Mother ever.....She’s  doing a good job. 

• Love 10

oMG NAPERVILLE. I get the feeling that Jason and family will be fine when they move the hell away from Annette and her desperation. (Even her husband thinks their relationship is freaky.) Like, when she's around to latch on to him, he finds it hard to not give in, but with distance, he's not a total dependent loser and he's protecting Justina. But someone needs to get this woman some mental health care if she's crying when they go home to the suburbs at the end of the day. She's such a selfish cow. [And that's the nicest c-word I find myself using during this show.]

Shekeb's just wallowing whole hog in the creepy. "Yeah, Mom, I get it - your wish is for Emily and your husband to be dead so you don't have these annoying reminders that you and I aren't married." His own dad is saying that the relationship is too close and he just nods, yep, yep, inappropriate. Girl, get out, he's quite aware that Laila will never, ever even be in the same room with her voluntarily, no matter what Emily does for her. Like some clothing store accessories will change her entire dysfunctional personality.

• Love 9

Love this dysfunction so much. All the couples make Coltee and his mom/wife Debbie look almost normal. There HAS to be some truth in these relationships because who would let themselves be portrayed so disturbingly? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Leila and Lidia (Pedro's mom) are in a dead heat for the most toxic harridan in the Western world. They are leaving Debbie in the dust. That despicable reaction to Emily's gift and the cake was pure evil.

Hopefully, Jason will grow a pair and take that out of town job. His poor wife looks so beaten down.

Wasn't it sweet when Kim told the waitress what her son was going to order? Weren't you bowled over by the tenderness when he groveled around at the end of the meal telling her how grateful he was for her input? 🤮

Edited by renatae
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

I just came here to say how disgusted I am with Shekeb's mom, what a bitter, vile woman. I wasn't even paying attention to the show but she caught my attention. He should have taken Emily AND the cake and left the minute she started saying hateful things at the birthday party. And him leaving her alone at the restaurant on Valentine's day speaks volumes about him, he could have at least taken her with him to that awful mother's house, or have her wait in the car. The mother didn't appear to need immediate attention. Did she get stuck with the bill?

• Love 10
On 10/29/2020 at 2:52 PM, readheaded said:

Yes, some of the mothers don't look like they're really acting.  😵

Academy Award for Leila if that's a performance.  Wow.  She's not even passive-aggressive; she's just aggressive and vile.  And what's the big payoff for Emily?  That big mewling sack, Shekeb?  Pleeeaze.

I think any woman would have spent her solo time at the restaurant blocking his number in her phone.

• LOL 2
  • Love 14

Laila is vile, through and through - so interesting how well her rancid toxic insides are represented on her wickedly ugly face. She’s what I imagine Cancer would look, if it were personified.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

There it is.....Laila wants him to marry an Afghani girl

You are totally right.  Does anyone want to remind the crusty bitch how well that worked out for them the last time?!  I don't know about Afghanis, but for South Asians, divorce isn't cute.  It affects the woman's standing more (**rolls eyes about patriarchal bullshit**), but the dude doesn't get a way without some damage too.

Edited by TrininisaScorp
  • Love 2

I am trying to follow this topic but it seems to have a different layout from the other reality shows. It has weekly episodes but I can only find this thread. And there is no other option, just this thread. Am I in the right category?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ethalfrida said:

I am trying to follow this topic but it seems to have a different layout from the other reality shows. It has weekly episodes but I can only find this thread. And there is no other option, just this thread. Am I in the right category?

I am not an expert on the forums, but I believe some shows with less viewers and comments only have one thread for all episodes.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Wish more people would watch this shitshow so I could enjoy this forum. I hate everyone. The mothers are overbearing and are way creepy in their relationships. The sons are weak. The girlfriends are doomed to a life where they will always be #2 and should all walk away. 

• Love 12
32 minutes ago, jacksgirl said:

Wish more people would watch this shitshow so I could enjoy this forum. I hate everyone. The mothers are overbearing and are way creepy in their relationships. The sons are weak. The girlfriends are doomed to a life where they will always be #2 and should all walk away. 

You are right on all points. 

• Love 3

All these son and mom relationships are so messed up. I think Shakeebs Mom is the worst. The poor uncomfortable neighbors at the party. Her over the top if you leave I will die guilt trip. It was nice to see him leave with his girlfriend. I think his balls might have finally dropped!

• Love 4

Great job Shekeb, you just killed your mo. . .oh wait, it’s just a bluff!  She LIVES!!

I especially appreciate the shop keepers and business owners who give the interviews!  The dance instructor talking about the mom and son tango!  The massage duo creeped out by the mom and son couples massage!  The lingerie store employee!  GOLD!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

I guess the dance instructor--rightly--values his job too much to point this out, but that mother-son tango is horrifying.  The voiceover referred to the "romance" between tango partners, but it's really more like throbbing, sensual, sex on the hoof.  When I was dancing, we tried to keep our bodies glued together between the waist and knee.  Watching them just now, I kept thinking, "Just go ahead and _____ him, lady."

My heartstrings tugged a little at the poor bride sitting out the mother-son tango, over on the sidelines.  Welcome to your future, sweetheart.

Isn't the mother that keeps insisting she needs a spare room in the new house for her "sleepovers," the same one who is converting her garage so the couple can live in the backyard?  Yikes, I've seen that movie.  Ultimately she kills her own husband, imprisons the daughter-in-law in some underground torture chamber, and moves in with her darling boy.

That crazy desperate sinew-y mother with the 80's hair needs a membership to "Our Time."

• Love 12