Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E06: Top 11

• Start Topic

On 10/20/2020 at 9:39 AM, leighdear said:

As little as I like Tyra as host, they need to TURN.THE.DAMN.MUSIC.AND.APPLAUSE.DOWN while she's trying to talk.   She's got enough challenges without having to compete with fake music and fake clapping. She was basically yelling the whole time.  

On 10/20/2020 at 2:02 PM, Jodithgrace said:

They had that fake applause volume turned up to Blast last night. Thank goodness for closed captions or I wouldn't have heard one thing Tyra was saying.

Both commenters might agree with my opinion that EVEN THE CREW doesn't like Tyra.  Maybe she was haughty around them and they decided to show her who's boss.

• Love 3
On 10/19/2020 at 9:10 PM, Marmiarmo said:

i finally figured out what I dislike most about Skai.  The minute she knows the camera is on her, her eyes become unfocused and she plasters on a big, phony smile.  She’s like a cheerleader, but not a real cheerleader...a cheerleader in a Lifetime movie.  She never seems to be looking at anyone or anything, and for me, it’s extremely distracting.

As someone up thread said, she has this deer in the headlights look. Tonight, their dance looked downright comical with her staring, huge, doll-like eyes and her robotic movement. The costumes were also strange and didn't seem to have any connection to each other. Maybe it was so subtle that I missed it.

Edited by renatae
  • Love 1
On 10/20/2020 at 11:59 AM, Lovecat said:

He dances exactly the way he skates, and he needs to break out of that, stylistically, to really succeed.

I've found this to be true as well. It just isn't translating, and to me he seems almost awkward without the ice. It's hard for me to watch.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, realdancemom said:

I might be the only person on this forum that actually thinks that Monica did have a breakthrough this week.  Technique wise, I always thought she was one of the better ones even though she's not as good as somebody like Kaitlyn.  But she always seemed like she was thinking too much.  She actually looked relaxed in her face, shoulders, and neck.  I thought she was good.

She isn't bad technically. If she was the last one standing with Chrishell or Nelly or Skai (if she can't her act together) then she would deserve to be saved. I just find her boring. She isn't interesting personality or dance-wise, but she does the steps correctly it seems. The 9s for her seem ridiculous though, when they give people like Kaitlyn the same score. I can't figure out why they are propping her up so much when she was once on the bottom two. She couldn't be getting that many votes.

Maybe Val has some agreement with them to get to a certain week. I know it's a conspiracy theory, but he never seems to get eliminated early.

11 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

She's probably in charge of wardrobe too...especially her own.  She'll come out with a Dancing with the Stars Designs by Tyra, and feature every abomination SHE wore on the shows.

And she can sell them at a clown college.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

She isn't bad technically. If she was the last one standing with Chrishell or Nelly or Skai (if she can't her act together) then she would deserve to be saved. I just find her boring. She isn't interesting personality or dance-wise, but she does the steps correctly it seems. The 9s for her seem ridiculous though, when they give people like Kaitlyn the same score. I can't figure out why they are propping her up so much when she was once on the bottom two. She couldn't be getting that many votes.

Maybe Val has some agreement with them to get to a certain week. I know it's a conspiracy theory, but he never seems to get eliminated early.

Yes, she is overscored.  She is boring performance wise.  When I said that she had a breakthrough, I just meant that she looked more relaxed.  She's never going to perform like a Justina or Jeannie.  Even Kaitlyn doesn't perform like they do.  It's just not in Monica's personality.  I think she's just a regular every day person personality wise not as extroverted as a lot of Hollywood types.  I've never watched the Cheers show.  I had visions in my head that she would be mean and a little crazy like Abbe Miller of Dance Moms.  Yes, I just admitted that I've seen some Dance Moms shows since my daughters used to watch it since they love dance.  Then they got turned off by the drama.

5 hours ago, renatae said:
On 10/20/2020 at 9:59 AM, Lovecat said:

He dances exactly the way he skates, and he needs to break out of that, stylistically, to really succeed.

I've found this to be true as well. It just isn't translating, and to me he seems almost awkward without the ice. It's hard for me to watch.

What's sad is that he has a cocky personality.  It's obvious that he's uncomfortable--too bad he can't just let himself go.  REALLY TOO BAD that he didn't get a better partner.   That will be his undoing.

• Love 2

My eyes!  My eyes!  For the love of all that's holy, what was up with the costumes this episode? Some of them were ok, but for the most part they were down right atrocious.

I wouldn't have been sad to see Johnny go.

Again, though, how is Chrishell still not in the bottom two? 

Skai had a deer caught in the headlights look on her face throughout her dance.  The stumbles didn't help.

I feel like Nelly is warming up, and I like that he's obviously having fun now.

Poor Vernon, he tried.

Monica is still meh to me, but I will admit she danced better tonight.

I can see AJ being a surprise elimination.

Justina, Jeannie, and Nev will probably be the ones in the top three, with Kaitlyn nipping at their heels(unless the Bachelorette Nation does it's thing again)

Why was Sasha standing so far away from Justina when they were shown in the balcony?

Sharna and Emma were there. Have no clue why.

Say what you will about Derek, he's a fantastic dancer and I love watching him dance.

• Love 3
On 10/20/2020 at 12:17 AM, boyznkatz said:

I remember a rapper doing a duet with a country singer, but I didn’t realize that was Nelly and Tim McGraw!

You might be thinking of the one that was Billy Ray Cyrus and LilNasX(sp?)called Old Town Road.

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

My eyes!  My eyes!  For the love of all that's holy, what was up with the costumes this episode? Some of them were ok, but for the most part they were down right atrocious.

Maybe we're seeing the previews of "Designs by Tyra," but nothing has been announced.  How thrilling!!!   (sarcasm)

(Sometimes people don't get me.)

• Love 3
On 10/22/2020 at 9:44 AM, realdancemom said:

It's just not in Monica's personality.  I think she's just a regular every day person personality wise not as extroverted as a lot of Hollywood types.  I've never watched the Cheers show.  I had visions in my head that she would be mean and a little crazy like Abbe Miller of Dance Moms.

That’s pretty much it, she’s a regular every day person. I was looking forward to seeing her on DWTS, but she’s lower key performance-wise than I was expecting. I do see her improving every week, getting more relaxed. I thought she had good hip action. 

She’s a great mentor for her Cheer team members. She’s not a super warm huggy kind, but is really supportive of them.

Justina’s dress looked like the formal version of the feather duster/maid in Beauty and the Beast. 

So far Justina, Jeannie , and Nev although he’s a little odd are my faves.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Electruck said:

That’s pretty much it, she’s a regular every day person. I was looking forward to seeing her on DWTS, but she’s lower key performance-wise than I was expecting. I do see her improving every week, getting more relaxed. I thought she had good hip action. 

She’s a great mentor for her Cheer team members. She’s not a super warm huggy kind, but is really supportive of them.

Justina’s dress looked like the formal version of the feather duster/maid in Beauty and the Beast. 

So far Justina, Jeannie , and Nev although he’s a little odd are my faves.

I was wondering how she was in the Cheer show.  I didn't know if she would be really strict and yell a lot.  I did like her pre-package from two weeks ago where she had one of her students.  From that, I can tell that she was a good influence in his life.  I like when teachers and coaches are like that.

I did think she had good hip action.  I think she's getting more relaxed too which is what I wrote in one of my posts.  You can see it in her face, neck, and shoulders.  I'm wondering if she put too much pressure on herself at first because she didn't want to look bad in front of her students.  Or she thought she would pick it up faster.

Justina and Jeannie are my favorites.  I liked Johnnie when he did the jive and contemporary.  I have high hopes for his VW this week.  I think Nev is good and performs well too.  I just think he should be more honest about his training.  Kaitlyn is also good.  I think Chrishell and Nelly (if can't duplicate his samba performance) should be the next ones to go.  But I think they're popular.  Skai has her ups and downs too.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 2

Jeannie has always been very opportunistic and calculating but I was moved to tears myself. Ugh.

I really enjoy Monica and her partnership with Val. I would probably enjoy her with anyone, but I think they're particularly well-matched.

I don't care about the Disney Girl or the Catfish Guy but I would miss Jenna. I love how she attacks a dance w/ the same intensity that I appreciate in Peta. 

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 2
On 10/19/2020 at 9:02 PM, Callaphera said:

Dancing with the Stars: singlehandedly keeping the confetti companies in business during this time of 'Rona. 

I WAS Surprised That They Finally Had Some Actual People In The Audience ! I WISH People Would Stop Clapping Where I Can't Even Hear Tyra Talk ! NOT That I Really Want Tyra To Talk, But She Is Introducing The Judges and Other Things And I Can NOT Hear What She Is Saying !

On 10/19/2020 at 10:00 PM, Fostersmom said:

It was more apparent than ever tonight. The second they started dancing, she turned into plastic girl. It was more obvious tonight with the wig, it turned her into a creepy doll. It's like she's never really connected to anyone when she dances, just a vacant gaze. That's what happens when you spend your entire life in front of a camera. Didn't she say she's been on screen since she was like 9 months old? 

What Was With Carrie Ann's RED HAIR  ? Why Was Carrie Ann A Blond Other Weeks When She Used To Have Black Hair, But This Week With The TOP 11 Carrie Ann Now Has Red Hair ?

On 10/19/2020 at 10:43 PM, Sile said:

As some who has only watched sporadically this season and, as much as it pains me to say it, I thought Tyra was doing a lot better tonight.  Although I had to laugh at her statement that next week "I'll be in costume!".  As opposed to every other week?

Remember those guys that had a fit when someone would try to put them in something with a sequin on it or an unmanly color?  Ladies and gentlemen, Johnny Weir!  That boy is up for anything.  

I could swear that I'd heard before that you're supposed to have a flexed foot with Contemporary because I always think it looks so awkward!

Johnny Weir IS GAY !

On 10/19/2020 at 11:35 PM, boyznkatz said:

If Monica got all 9s, then AJ deserved all 10s.

I don’t like Derek as a judge. He’s annoying. But the man can dance. His paso was amazing. It was nice to see a real paso doble with real music!

How IS Derek Annoying Every Week ? I Like Derek Better Than Juliana OR What Ever His Sister's Name Is ! All She Does Is Give SIXES ! I Think She Is The Annoying Judge ! I Think Derek Gives Good Points About What The Contestants Need To Do To Improve ! Derek IS Better Than Carrie Ann And Bruno ! !