Type keyword(s) to search

The Con - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 9/10/2022 at 12:10 PM, DanaK said:

It's not clear to me whether his pretending to be an osteopath or whatever it was and a holistic medical professional was because that's what he was interested in or because he could just throw a lot of words around and people would believe him and he didn't really have to do real procedures that could harm people

Oh it's clear to me...it was the latter.  He got off on the power trip.  And what a megalomaniac.  He's the type who just genuinely doesn't think that rules apply to him.  Going to VA for that car while he was out on bail, was absolutely insane.   And giving all those interviews?  Ballsy. 

I decided to look him up and found two things of interest that were not in the show.  First, the thing that tripped him up in VA with the car was apparently fraudulently representing a co-signor (his godmother) who in reality knew nothing about the loan.  But more surprisingly that they didn't include it in the show, in January 2021 he was arrested for fraud.  As a contracted employee for a shipping broker, he was accused of stealing from his employer by rerouting payments from the business to his personal accounts, causing a total loss of $10,129.81.  But I couldn't find anything about what has happened regarding those charges.  The show chose to end by making it look like he had seen the error of his ways.

• Useful 1

I was shocked that this guy is representing himself as a doctor at the rehab clinic and the cops know it, but they don't seem to be able to do anything and he ends up just writing the cops a letter saying he's learned his lesson and that's it!

• Mind Blown 1
17 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

Oh it's clear to me...it was the latter.  He got off on the power trip.  And what a megalomaniac.  He's the type who just genuinely doesn't think that rules apply to him.  Going to VA for that car while he was out on bail, was absolutely insane.   And giving all those interviews?  Ballsy. 

I decided to look him up and found two things of interest that were not in the show.  First, the thing that tripped him up in VA with the car was apparently fraudulently representing a co-signor (his godmother) who in reality knew nothing about the loan.  But more surprisingly that they didn't include it in the show, in January 2021 he was arrested for fraud.  As a contracted employee for a shipping broker, he was accused of stealing from his employer by rerouting payments from the business to his personal accounts, causing a total loss of $10,129.81.  But I couldn't find anything about what has happened regarding those charges.  The show chose to end by making it look like he had seen the error of his ways.

Interesting. And those interviews he did plus the additional crimes he committed makes me agree with you that it was a power trip and he probably either couldn’t help being reckless or he thought he could get away with it. As for seeing the error of his ways, probably just BS to the reporter

Also got irked by that other "expert", Johnathan Walton, who was talking about the victims and how they had lost faith in people, and he said that was "literally the worst feeling in the world".  Really?  Worse than having a loved one die, or finding out you have a serious illness, or losing all your money in a scam?

• Like 1

ABC is getting a lump of coal from me for deceptive advertising.  I was browsing a TV schedule and saw the words NEW next to tonight's airing of "The Con".  I enjoyed this series a lot and got excited that there were new episodes.  Well, it looks like ABC is fooling a lot of viewers because when I read the description, it's definitely a retread - they've taken two previously aired episodes and repackaged it as a NEW 2-hour ep. 

It's the episodes with the woman who claimed to be an Irish heiress and the one with the Southern pastor who ripped off a bunch of his followers.  Pooh.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

That teenager who conned people into thinking he was a doctor is back in the news, because he just can't stop his scamming ways.  Yahoo had his story on their main page today, telling how the kid is again in trouble, this time for embezzling funds from the trucking company he was working for.   I see in the story that he also tried to buy a Jaguar with a stolen credit card.  What a creep.  https://www.yahoo.com/news/fake-teen-doctor-now-25-152820424.html

• Useful 1