Type keyword(s) to search

TDS 3.0 Season Six Talk

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

Maybe it has something to do with the launch this week of Paramount+ which includes TDS/CC?

Oh, wow. I hope that doesn’t mean I’d need a paramount + subscription to watch TDS, even if I have a cable plan that includes CC!

The iPhone CC app is even more wonky. When I try to watch anything I get a “code20” error that I can’t get past without closing the app entirely. 

I see reviews on the app where other people are seeing the same thing. I guess I’ll give it a few days and see if things get sorted out. 

I experienced the same thing through the website. I normally watching on my laptop through my web browser, and the most recent full episode they have is from last week (the one with Kevin Garnett,) with the "watch the latest episode" button going to a dead link. Looks like they still have all the segments posted as individual clips if you click on the "videos" tab, but I still wish they had the whole episode up.

I hope they're not making it a Paramount+-only thing. I have enough streaming services as it is.

• Useful 1
4 minutes ago, angora said:

I hope they're not making it a Paramount+-only thing. I have enough streaming services as it is.

Seriously!  I may be back to the “ears edition” podcast. You don’t get the visuals, but at least you can listen while you’re doing other stuff. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Seriously!  I may be back to the “ears edition” podcast. You don’t get the visuals, but at least you can listen while you’re doing other stuff. 

I love the podcast, but I when I listen, I really miss Trevor’s sight gags. He truly is a one-man comedy show. 

• Love 4
(edited)
On 3/2/2021 at 5:05 AM, Ailianna said:

Trevor had a really long set of clips of Trump at CPAC last night. And I discovered I no longer want to hear that voice so I muted the whole segment until Trevor returned. Was it just me, or was that really really a long clip?

Same!

I cannot stand Trump's voice at all. The tone and tenor of his speech drive me into a fit of anxiety and irritation. Ironically, Trevor's impersonation of Trump is my absolute favorite thing in the world!

When clips of Trump at CPAC were shown last week, I really wished that Trevor could have done some type of voiceover instead of making us suffer through the real thing. I'm sure the legal department would have never approved that, but it doesn't mean I like their decision!

Forgive me if I'm repeating myself, but your post made think about something I wanted to share.

I had the absolute privilege of seeing Trevor in person when he was performing at arenas in 2019. During his set, he said that when his doctor told him about the potential risks and/or potential post-op complications of his upcoming vocal chord surgery, one possibility was that he wouldn't be able to impersonate Trump anymore. Trevor said that the idea of not being able to "do Trump's voice" was THE SINGLE MOST terrifying part about going through with the surgery. I have never loved him more than I did at that moment.

Edited by Bridget
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, angora said:

Looks like they still have all the segments posted as individual clips if you click on the "videos" tab, but I still wish they had the whole episode up.

Yeah, looks like that’s what we’re getting, going forward. I don’t really appreciate losing access on the CC app/website. 

It does look like a lot of stuff is on YouTube. I’ll have to depend on you guys to post if there are any can’t-miss segments. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Heads up everyone. No new episodes this week. Which means we won't get to see Trevor react to last night's interview with Harry and Meghan, awww!<snaps finger>

Thanks, I was wondering why it didn't record last night. Do you happen to know why it's off? I don't remember Trevor announcing a hiatus last week. 

8 minutes ago, kassygreene said:

Isn't he hosting something next Sunday?   I think it's the Grammys.

Yes, it’s the Grammys. He might be hosting from his home. Even then, he would need a lot of prep time.

• Love 1

ALERT! The “Remotely Educational” special is going to air from 8:30-9:11 this morning. If you miss that, it’ll repeat at 11. I had forgotten about that until I saw a commercial last night.

• Love 2

Did anyone else find that Eddie Murphy interview just...bad? I feel like Trevor was fine as usual but whatever he threw out to Eddie Murphy just kind of sank. I could just be cranky from losing an hour of sleep, I don't know.

• Love 1
On 3/16/2021 at 7:05 PM, BookThief said:

Did anyone else find that Eddie Murphy interview just...bad? I feel like Trevor was fine as usual but whatever he threw out to Eddie Murphy just kind of sank. I could just be cranky from losing an hour of sleep, I don't know.

Nope. You are not the only one.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Quite the powerful speech Trevor gave last night in regards to the Atlanta shooting spree!

For sure. "If there's anyone who's a racist, it's a motherf**ker who kills six Asian women. Your murders speak louder than your words." "America sees things coming, it KNOWS something is gonna happen, but it does nothing to stop it." "It doesn't have to be one thing on its own. America is a rich tapestry of mass-shooting motivations!" That was some righteous, tired anger right there.

• Love 13
On 3/24/2021 at 11:01 PM, ruby24 said:

Are the opening segments not getting put on the show's youtube page anymore?

I haven't checked the youtube page, but the episodes seem to still be available on www.dailyshow.com . I think they also have clips. 

Thanks for posting that, @Victor the Crab. Man, there was a lot of godawful policing news this week. As always, Trevor's commentary was a potent mix of insightful, angry, and exhausted. That bit asking why a full-grown, armed, and armored cop would feel "threatened" by an 8-year-old girl? Damn.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, angora said:

Thanks for posting that, @Victor the Crab. Man, there was a lot of godawful policing news this week. As always, Trevor's commentary was a potent mix of insightful, angry, and exhausted. That bit asking why a full-grown, armed, and armored cop would feel "threatened" by an 8-year-old girl? Damn.

Thanks @angora

IKR?

On 4/17/2021 at 12:33 PM, angora said:

The news was nuts this week. I keep telling myself to turn it off. I'm a sensitive person and feel horrible, but I don't want to be ignorant. I really hope there are changes made, because it's just heartbreaking. You would think after last year there we wouldn't still be such terrible policing.  

• Love 3

Lots of fun stuff last night. The "talking to someone just off-camera" bit is pretty much always a win for me, and I loved it in the part about the diamond-mining. "Wait, they don't get paid? So how do they keep getting-? So this is-?!" Also, Trevor's impression of what Facebook claims we'll be like without targeted ads took me OUT. "What if I buy tampons because I don't know that I don't have a period? What if I buy dog food but I don't have a dog? Am I a dog? Am I a dog wearing tampons? I don't know!!" That whiny little voice was the best.

Trevor crushing on his guests is always a delight too, but I love guests telling Trevor they're proud of him even more, so the end of the Michael B. Jordan interview made me "aww." That's the wholesome content I need sometimes.

• Love 8

I really appreciated it. I know that these late night shows are meant to be comedy, but since they cover mostly serious real issues I sometimes find it hard to watch when they try to force jokes into it. Sometimes it works, but particularly when they talk about foreign news it can come off as insulting.

• Love 8

Has there been any talk about him coming back to the studio?

Because I gotta say, I VASTLY prefer him in this format and of all the late night hosts, I think his show has improved in this style and is superior to the others now.

I think going back would be a step backwards tbh. I never watched him regularly before, but now I do and I can't imagine continuing if he went back to the studio with an audience. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Has there been any talk about him coming back to the studio?

Because I gotta say, I VASTLY prefer him in this format and of all the late night hosts, I think his show has improved in this style and is superior to the others now.

I think going back would be a step backwards tbh. I never watched him regularly before, but now I do and I can't imagine continuing if he went back to the studio with an audience. 

I'm in agreement with all that. That being said, though, I think we will see him back in the studio in the not too distant future, like all those who are used to performing in front of an audience.

Perhaps there's a way to take some of what he's doing inside his apartment and incorporate it into a studio audience.

At least keep the hairstyle the way it now is, because it looks so much better on him!

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

At least keep the hairstyle the way it now is, because it looks so much better on him!

I got so used to it that whenever there is a break and they put old clips on the youtube channel, I wonder at first what seems so weird about him, before I realize it's the hair : )

• Love 3

What I like about this show is how they often interview other interesting people than just celebrities. And Trevor is IMO a great interviewer, he always lets the guest talk, doesn't jump in and can be very compassionate. 

• Love 9

Agreed, @JustHereForFood - when Trevor first took over the show, I thought his interview skills were kind of shaky, but he's gotten so good at it over the last six seasons! He books interesting guests that you don't always see on other shows, he asks smart questions, and he gets a good back-and-forth going without talking over the guest.

In the Nigeria story last night, I love that Trevor called out that newscaster's racist intro clip. His, "Can I just say, as an African, what the fuck?" was very satisfying. And his impression of an African newscaster doing the same thing to the U.S. was perfect: "America is a country plagued by school shootings, extremists, and failing infrastructure, but their government wants to increase the price of postage stamps!" Love.

• Love 11

Gina Lashere was a great guest last night. I really missed her as TDS's British correspondent. I finally realized beforehand that she provided the main voice, named Keisha, for this British/Canadian animated series, Bromwell High, back in the middle of last decade. It was a crude but hilarious series. But I had no idea she was a co creator for the sitcom Bob Hearts Abishoba.

• Love 4
(edited)

Wow! The long hiatus sucks, but I gotta be honest, I'm actually excited about this because I think it means that Trevor HAS noticed that this last year, for him, has actually benefited TDS to fit him and his style more than anything he's done since he first took over.

I think it's great. I have a feeling he's going to be keeping it somewhat in line with this new "vlog" style that has worked so well for him and really revitalized TDS to suit him and what he does best, rather than trying to stay in line with his predecessors.

I mean, his is the show that not having an audience has made better, imo. I'm glad he sees that too. 

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 10

When Ronny was on the other day, I realized I really don't miss the field pieces, which were often based on mocking the interviewee. I just don't have any interest in that right now. I like that the show has gotten more serious and less just mocking for mocking's sake. I also LOVE that they get guests that are both big names and also less well known people. The show has become much more activist than lampoony. 

• Love 7

Last night (June 16) was a great show - the bit about the black farmers was very interesting (and important!). And the interview with Ashley Ford was great too. Trevor has gotten so good at interviews!

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

Last night (June 16) was a great show - the bit about the black farmers was very interesting (and important!). And the interview with Ashley Ford was great too. Trevor has gotten so good at interviews!

I was wondering if there was an ep last night. For some reason, my DVR did not record it.  I'll go search for it now.

Oh there was an episode. I had it recorded while watching something else. But it got cut in the end as Trevor was on a long speech about taking time off to think about how to incorporate what he gained from doing his show from his apartment. I rewatched the ending online and saw his MoZ being him getting up out of his chair and the lights slowly dimming as the credits were rolling until it got dark with nothing but the TV screen on and then it went black.

• Useful 1

I had the same experience of having it cut off early and searching out the end online (and I have my DVR set to record 15 minutes after the scheduled ending). It was thoughtful and I'm glad Trevor was acknowledging how different and meaningful this has been. I hope it doesn't mean he's going to go back to goofiness and celebrity fluff. I like how many interesting and inspiring people I first learned of on his show. I like how his interviews of the same people for the same projects have been so much deeper and more significant than what I see on other shows. I'm close to giving up on the other two late night shows I watch, because I only started watching during the pandemic and because I was getting information (and opinions, of course!) and not just gossip. They made some of the horror bearable and shared my feelings when it couldn't be borne. But if they are going to be all stupid human tricks or their equivalent again now, I'm out. I hope Trevor keeps the depth and passion. I wonder if the network is unhappy now that he didn't run back to his studio like everyone else. 

No matter what, I wish Trevor--and all of you--a safe and happy summer.

• Love 10