Type keyword(s) to search

TDS 3.0 Season Six Talk

• Start Topic

Don't know if it's also going to appear in an upcoming episode and they just put it up early, but the show uploaded the piece Jordan shot at the Capitol on the 6th. He didn't get up in the thick of it, but it was still unnerving to see him there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, angora said:

Don't know if it's also going to appear in an upcoming episode and they just put it up early, but the show uploaded the piece Jordan shot at the Capitol on the 6th. He didn't get up in the thick of it, but it was still unnerving to see him there.

“Tonight, the role of Jordan Klepper will be played by Al Pacino.” “Every time I try to get out, they keep pulling me back in!!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Good seeing Trevor back after what was a month off. Of course I'd have thought he'd show more outrage over the attacks on Capitol Hill, two weeks ago.

I want to bring up something from a previous show. Back in late October, Trevor opened a show by discussing Washington floating the idea of busting up Google through anti trust laws. He then brought up examples of the federal government breaking up monopolies, like Standard Oil. Then a graphic popped up in the lower left corner displaying a Standard logo from the late 50s to the early 70s

Trevor.thumb.png.202a3b49edf2c0322386cb77703346f4.png

Now, I'm into graphic design. I have Inkscape in my computer, and I use it to create or recreate logos that are of interest to me. One of them was that Standard logo because, in my youth, whenever we traveled across the Blue Water Bridge, from Sarnia, Ontario into Port Huron, Michigan, we would always be greeted by the site of it as a large highway sign. So, a decade ago, I recreated it, because pictures of that logo were hard to come by, using old photos and maps from years gone by, then I would upload it to Photobucket, tag them and enter them for the world to see.

1456773812_StandardOilLogo.png.1f59b9a47f395cfda81c3820de473988.png

So when I saw what was on my TV screen, I thought Trevor and the crew used a recreated logo of mine. So, I grabbed a screenshot of Trevor and the logo, opened up my Inkscape, pasted the photo, then grabbed a logo from my computer's picture file and pasted that too, cut the visibility of my work in half, shrunk it down to the size of the logo on the screen cap, and positioned it over the screencap to see if it fit.

No such luck, they didn't match 😟

Fast forward to today, when I had an epiphany. I had forgotten I kept some Standard Oil pictures in my Photobucket album. So I went to check up on them and discovered this:

1147436624_StandardOilLogo2.png.edfc8220ce97e45e82f94540b6d24ddd.png

I made this one prior to the previous one, but I didn't like it. It didn't look right. The third blue bar on the torch handle was a little wider than the others.

I repeated what I did above with the previous logo. And after getting the size right and lining them up, I found my other logo matched the one Trevor used on his show like a thumbprint!

😳

TREVOR AND THE DAILY SHOW DID USED A LOGO I MADE TO DISPLAY ON THEIR SHOW!!!!!

😁👍 😁👍 😁👍 😁👍 😁👍

And yeah, I know all about the sacristy of art work and protection and all (even though it really wasn't my creation). But DAA-HAMMM if I don't feel a sense of satisfaction about it!

Oh, and Stacey Abrams is Trevor's guest tonight.😁

• Love 6

It was really good to have Trevor back.  He's been missed. I really wanted his voice and insight on the last few weeks (especially the last two weeks) and I hope he at some point hits those events more. They still have a lot from Jordan at the Capital so maybe they're putting it all together? Or wanted to see how far the world would fall before he came back?

• Love 1

I wanted to hear Trevor say something about the death of Mthembu. Maybe he thought people in the USA wouldn't care, or maybe he couldn't think of a way to make it funny. It bothers me that it really has barely caused a ripple in the USA media, and I guess I was counting on Trevor to bring it up, since he comes from South Africa.

Despite Trevor saying he just dresses in hoodies, I'm starting to think he's got a sponsorship deal because he almost never wears the same one twice and they all look brand new. But it's like a general "hoodies are awesome" sponsorship, not a specific brand.

• Love 1

Wow, Trevor, major fail last night.  First segment was almost entirely clips of Newsmax, OAN, and FOX capped with a montage of Lou Dobbs, almost like an homage.  If I want to see that stuff, I'd watch those channels.  I come to Daily Show for humor, not endless clips from OAN,.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, izabella said:

Wow, Trevor, major fail last night.  First segment was almost entirely clips of Newsmax, OAN, and FOX capped with a montage of Lou Dobbs, almost like an homage.  If I want to see that stuff, I'd watch those channels.  I come to Daily Show for humor, not endless clips from OAN,.

Oh man, I thought I was the only one who felt this way. So I didn’t say anything. I get what he was trying to do, but here is where Jon Stewart was better—he’d be skewering these assholes. And that’s what I thought Trevor was going to do.

So yeah, major fail for me too.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, izabella said:

I was good with it. While reviewing hypocrisy is fruit that doesn’t hang that high, it was still worth it by Trevor to show the right wing go after Biden. Jon might have bit harder, but I didn’t think Trevor was gumming them.

Tonight’s segment about struggling farms in India . . . anyone else think the intent was to get to that story first? Last Week Tonight returns on Sunday, and that’s the sort of subject John Oliver would review.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

I wouldn't want him to cover the right wing media shenanigans often, but I was okay with him doing it the one time. Jon Stewart used to cover FoxNews endlessly and it got tiresome for me. For Trevor to do it once, is almost refreshing by comparison.

I like when he tackles international stories. I had heard about the Indian farmer protests, but mostly it's been buried in impeachment commentary and covid relief negotiation play by play coverage. 

I like how Trevor is willing to crush openly on male interviewees, and even though I'm not a Noah Centineo fan, I enjoyed the interview because I enjoyed Trevor enjoying it. I don't know what he's like off screen, but Trevor often models non-toxic masculinity and I like that. 

I had wondered where Dulce Sloan has been. I was glad to see her again.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, possibilities said:

I like how Trevor is willing to crush openly on male interviewees, and even though I'm not a Noah Centineo fan, I enjoyed the interview because I enjoyed Trevor enjoying it. I don't know what he's like off screen, but Trevor often models non-toxic masculinity and I like that. 

I appreciate that about Trevor too - the more we can see that kind of modeling from guys, the better off we'll be. In the Centineo interview, I enjoyed them comparing the length of their hair. (I also loved Robin Roberts announcing she was gonna wear a hoodie the next time she was on the show and Trevor being all, "Don't you do it, Robin Roberts!" Made me smile.)

I laughed so hard at the conspiracy stuff over Hunter Biden's memoir: “And what if you’re not getting the vaccine? Biden will still know if you bought the book, you know why? Because our bookshelves are in the background of all our Zoom meetings! Did Joe Biden engineer the coronavirus just to make sure we all bought his son’s book?”

• Love 5

I like that Trevor is still featuring a charity on every show. All the other late night shows that were doing this in the beginning of the pandemic have stopped.

Also: I was really wanting him to ask Neil Patrick Harris about that background. There were RABBIT HEADS mounted on the wall. What the hell?

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

Also: I was really wanting him to ask Neil Patrick Harris about that background. There were RABBIT HEADS mounted on the wall. What the hell?

OMG, same! I was like, "Is this his actual house? Is it a background of some weird house from a show I've never heard of? What is happening?" (Side note: I know it wasn't a locale from A Series of Unfortunate Events, but it was totally the kind of house that COULD'VE belonged to a character from that series.) I also loved the question Trevor asked him at the top of the interview, about whether he has the Midas touch or if he just know what Midas is ABOUT to touch. What a nice compliment.

Loved Trevor's response to Trump's 57-43 acquittal: "Man, that dude loves losing the popular vote!"

At first, during the correspondent piece, I thought maybe Ronny's part was going to be more, "What are you guys talking about? I've been in Australia where life is normal now!", since he's done a couple Australia bits during the pandemic, but the angle they took was good too. I sympathize with that unmotivated feeling, and I liked, "What kind of maniac uses the apocalypse for self-improvement?!"

ETA - BTW, the non-profit that's benefiting from the new Daily Show merchandise, the Equal Justice Initiative, is the same organization featured in the movie Just Mercy (w/ Michael B. Jordan and Jamie Foxx.) Bryan Stevenson, who created the EJI, is super amazing.

Edited by angora
Added a note about the EJI.
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, angora said:

At first, during the correspondent piece, I thought maybe Ronny's part was going to be more, "What are you guys talking about? I've been in Australia where life is normal now!", since he's done a couple Australia bits during the pandemic, but the angle they took was good too. I sympathize with that unmotivated feeling, and I liked, "What kind of maniac uses the apocalypse for self-improvement?!"

I don’t love this current crop of correspondents. They seem more silly than smart. I suppose I was spoiled by awesome correspondents like Jessica Williams, John Oliver, Hasan Minhaj, and Samantha Bee. I don’t hate the current correspondents. I just don’t look forward to their segments. 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, topanga said:

I don’t love this current crop of correspondents. They seem more silly than smart. I suppose I was spoiled by awesome correspondents like Jessica Williams, John Oliver, Hasan Minhaj, and Samantha Bee. I don’t hate the current correspondents. I just don’t look forward to their segments. 

Ronny Chieng, Michael Kosta & especially Desi Lydic are rarely funny and keep talking well after the lame joke failed; mostly FF material.  I enjoy most of Dulcé Sloan's segments and 1/3-1/2 of Roy Wood Jr's.

• Love 2

I like that he's doing more serious and informative pieces lately. He throws in some levity or snark, but he's not just goofing around.

I agree the correspondents are more on the goofy side at the moment, and that it's not really as satisfying as I wish it was sometimes. It's okay, it's not terrible. But the contrast with Trevor's more insightful treatments lately is rather stark.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I like that he's doing more serious and informative pieces lately. He throws in some levity or snark, but he's not just goofing around.

I agree the correspondents are more on the goofy side at the moment, and that it's not really as satisfying as I wish it was sometimes. It's okay, it's not terrible. But the contrast with Trevor's more insightful treatments lately is rather stark.

I agree with this. I could do without some of the goofiness. 

• Love 3

The weird thing is that, for me, Trevor's goofier moments often work really well (I lol'd at the bit about Dr. Fauci going to accept his award and it's just coronavirus waiting for him with a baseball bat.) They tend to be fun, absurd bits of levity sprinkled in among a tone that includes a more overall mix of seriousness and humor. But the correspondents' goofier moments don't usually land as well for me. Like with Ronny's piece about attacks against Asian Americans - I loved when he leaned in close to the camera and shouted about not being a racist asshole, but the random off-topic jokes felt like forced attempts at making it into a "bit."

• Love 4
22 hours ago, deirdra said:

Ronny Chieng, Michael Kosta & especially Desi Lydic are rarely funny and keep talking well after the lame joke failed; mostly FF material.  I enjoy most of Dulcé Sloan's segments and 1/3-1/2 of Roy Wood Jr's.

I like Roy and Dulce the best among the current crop of correspondents. Ronnie's good, Jaboukie's okay, Desi's grown on me, and the less said about Kosta the better!!!

• Love 2

I have no interest in Tucker Carlson, but I did think it was interesting to show how he's really not at all the regular guy man of the people he apparently wants people to think he is. And I liked the but about how he was born so rich he never needed to work a day in his lufe, and the implication that explains his career. A look at the man behind the curtain I guess.

• Love 6

I keep meaning to ask . . . how much notice does the show give in terms of the person that Trevor will be interviewing in an episode?

On 2/20/2021 at 5:46 PM, possibilities said:

I was really annoyed by the Tucker Carlson retrospective. Who the hell cares? Why are they amplifying this already-well-known shit? It just struck me as not only a waste of time but also incredibly lazy.

My initial thought was that Tucker's "profile" was projected snark from Rush Limbaugh's passing. Trevor didn't quip about it last week, so I'm thinking TDS decided to go "high road." But the slam piece looked like it took at least a week's work. And it was funny listening to Desi slap Tucker around. Apparently, he's been around cable news forever and he might never go away. At least they threw in Jon busting his chops on Crossfire.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I keep meaning to ask . . . how much notice does the show give in terms of the person that Trevor will be interviewing in an episode?

My initial thought was that Tucker's "profile" was projected snark from Rush Limbaugh's passing. Trevor didn't quip about it last week, so I'm thinking TDS decided to go "high road." But the slam piece looked like it took at least a week's work. And it was funny listening to Desi slap Tucker around. Apparently, he's been around cable news forever and he might never go away. At least they threw in Jon busting his chops on Crossfire.

The bowtie line was hilarious! 

I'm glad they did that segment, because a lot of people don't know how gross Tucker Carlson is. It sickens me this white supremacist is the top rated news guy ever. I can't think of another person on TV who's as hateful. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 6
On 2/22/2021 at 11:31 PM, Lantern7 said:

how much notice does the show give in terms of the person that Trevor will be interviewing in an episode?

I don't know but my DirecTV listings never say anymore who the guest will be, and they used to always note it, when the show was being produced in the studio. I guess that when people have to travel to be interviewed, you have to plan farther ahead.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I don't know but my DirecTV listings never say anymore who the guest will be, and they used to always note it, when the show was being produced in the studio. I guess that when people have to travel to be interviewed, you have to plan farther ahead.

Thanks. I think that a friend of mine might be interview. Short story: we went to grad school at the same time, and she’s made a name for herself.

On 2/17/2021 at 7:03 PM, Victor the Crab said:

I like Roy and Dulce the best among the current crop of correspondents. Ronnie's good, Jaboukie's okay, Desi's grown on me, and the less said about Kosta the better!!!

I think Kosta fits the “irritating white guy” role well. Jordan wound up with a spin-off because he was pretty good at that.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I think Kosta fits the “irritating white guy” role well. Jordan wound up with a spin-off because he was pretty good at that.

Jordan was a far superior correspondent than Kosta ever could hope to be. I doubt we'll be seeing any spinoffs from him!

• Love 8

Trevor had a really long set of clips of Trump at CPAC last night. And I discovered I no longer want to hear that voice so I muted the whole segment until Trevor returned. Was it just me, or was that really really a long clip?

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Trevor had a really long set of clips of Trump at CPAC last night. And I discovered I no longer want to hear that voice so I muted the whole segment until Trevor returned. Was it just me, or was that really really a long clip?

Me, too!

• Love 3

Thank you, Trevor. Frankly, he's another young senator I don't want to hear about again. Just because good looks get you so far in life does not mean there is a hint of narcissism there. He's a real life Dorian Gray in the making.

• Love 1
On 3/2/2021 at 8:05 AM, Ailianna said:

9 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Thank you, Trevor. Frankly, he's another young senator I don't want to hear about again. Just because good looks get you so far in life does not mean there is a hint of narcissism there. He's a real life Dorian Gray in the making.

Agreed. I don't think Trevor agrees with their philosophies, but he still seems fascinated by Trump and his supporters. He still loves to report on them and do long stories about them. Which he's allowed to do, but I wish he would attack their dishonesty and the consequences of their doctrine more. He seems to point it out then make a joke about it. But I want some hard truths in that humor. "Because of lies like his, these bad things happened..." Uh, I'm not a comedy writer. LOL. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I'm behind, so I haven't seen that crap yet, but I did enjoy the interview with Marlee Matlin from a few days ago.

Thursday's episode riled me up, as I got to see certain media outlets go after President Biden. They came for one of his dogs. Really. They dragged the rescued dog. Once again: TDS is the box with the hole, and it's the only way to watch Fox News.

Also wondering if Jordan had to go to the "Inauguration" from a few days ago. Or CPAC.  *shudder*

• Love 2

Does anyone else watch this with the CC app?  I know there were new shows this past week (1st week of March), but the app is only showing up to Feb. 25.  Plus it made me reactivate/login with my cable provider, even though I've been using the app every few days.  This was on two different firesticks, and also the app on my iphone.  I went to the CC website and they had a link to watch the "latest show" (with a picture of Joe Biden), but it led to a "page not found - fake news!"  What's going on?!?

13 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Thursday's episode riled me up, as I got to see certain media outlets go after President Biden. They came for one of his dogs. Really. They dragged the rescued dog. Once again: TDS is the box with the hole, and it's the only way to watch Fox News.

Also wondering if Jordan had to go to the "Inauguration" from a few days ago. Or CPAC.  *shudder*

Oh, man! I am not looking forward to that. The whole world must be shaking their heads at our recent stupidities like cancel culture, Mr. Potato Head, Dr. Seus, etc. Geez, its no wonder everyone is scratching theirs heads at this...ya think?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Does anyone else watch this with the CC app?  I know there were new shows this past week (1st week of March), but the app is only showing up to Feb. 25.  Plus it made me reactivate/login with my cable provider, even though I've been using the app every few days.  This was on two different firesticks, and also the app on my iphone.  I went to the CC website and they had a link to watch the "latest show" (with a picture of Joe Biden), but it led to a "page not found - fake news!"  What's going on?!?

Maybe it has something to do with the launch this week of Paramount+ which includes TDS/CC?