Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E14: Stranger Spouse

• Start Topic

Black Boyjoy

I misread it at first and thought his shirt said "Black Boytoy" and it made me giggle.

Two months, four months and no sex.  That's just not normal for two married adults.

I don't think that it's a good sign for Karen and Miles but I think plenty of "normal," happily married adults go months between sexual encounters for a whole variety of reasons. 

• Love 3

Honestly, I really hate this show sometimes.  I know just how fake it can be.  We all rail against the experts and poor matches and supposed villains, but there is so much scripted stuff in this show, GAH!!!  First of all, the audience is totally manipulated by whatever production wants to show us. And we as the audience are judging people completely on these bits of film. I'm very frustrated at myself for getting wrapped up it in. 

It's like the stupid Bachelor and Bachelorette shows.  So artificial.   I've clung to the idea that this show, at least, was trying to give people some idea of what problems everyone faces in relationships and the tools they could use to work on those problems, but this season has frustrated me so, I'm pretty sure I will not watch another season.  Brett is evil. Christina is evil.  All the cast gets prompted to say so. We're only shown things that fit that narrative. 

How about a balanced approach instead of a scorched earth policy?  Even Pastor Cal got roped in to dissing Brett.  Nope, I've had it.  

I don't think any of the other married couples should EVER comment on the other couples' marriages.  

/vent

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, rlc said:

I get that we only see what the editors show us, but I’m shocked by the amount of Brett support on these boards. Regardless of what you think you see in him, or whatever faults you find in Olivia, there’s no denying that in the first episode he definitely showed himself to be a total f*ck boi, and probably not actually looking for marriage.

I don't think Brett is some wonderful specimen, but I cannot stand the manipulated editing to make him be the bad guy and Olivia gets a total pass. It pisses me off and makes me support him more. She is no prize either. She did nothing but lecture him and pull away when he offered affection. She even said he was NICER when the cameras were gone and described him as a "nice guy"! So who is the one not really ready for marriage? She was no more willing to compromise on what she wanted in life than he was. The reality is that these two were not compatible and should never have been matched. But the show has made HIM be the reason it failed which bugs me to no end.

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I don't think Brett is some wonderful specimen, but I cannot stand the manipulated editing to make him be the bad guy and Olivia gets a total pass. It pisses me off and makes me support him more. She is no prize either. She did nothing but lecture him and pull away when he offered affection. She even said he was NICER when the cameras were gone and described him as a "nice guy"! So who is the one not really ready for marriage? She was no more willing to compromise on what she wanted in life than he was. The reality is that these two were not compatible and should never have been matched. But the show has made HIM be the reason it failed which bugs me to no end.

Well, that was what we were shown.  Who really knows?  I suspect the outcomes are decided before they even begin filming.  LOL.  Yes, I'm jaded. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

I’m annoyed too.  There’s nothing going on, so they have to do these stupid games like Amelia and what’s his name playing basketball, and that ring toss thing with Karen & Miles.  Plus other stupid uninteresting things.  The”experts or whoever paired them up screwed up again.

I'm pretty sure the spouse guessing game was also producer induced "fun" as well - notice everyone asking questions standing with their phones - probably looking at a text or email from one of the producers telling them the questions to ask.......

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

How about a balanced approach instead of a scorched earth policy?  Even Pastor Cal got roped in to dissing Brett.  Nope, I've had it.  

I don't think any of the other married couples should EVER comment on the other couples' marriages.  

This is my beef as well - thank you for stating this! I totally agree about the other couples chiming in on them. Unfiltered has enraged me this season. It seems like it exists to pretty much to dump on Brett at every turn, including Pastor Cal! And I am pretty sure they are dumping on him hard because he stood up for himself and pulled the plug and left. This is payback for not finishing filming even though he stayed as long as he was obligated to do so. Just no.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Yes, Bennett was eating with a whisk.  Were there not enough forks for everyone or was this just another attempt at quirk? 

Miles sharing his feelings at breakfast (I think?) with everyone... I kept talking to the TV, telling Karen to reach over and touch him in some way... his arm, his hand... SOMETHING to show her support of him and his vulnerability.  And... nothing.  That made my heart hurt for him.  Also, in everything we're shown, Karen's body language is turned away from Miles.  She's definitely not into him and after four months????   I also wonder why Karen didn't participate in the talks with the other wives.  Could it be all editing and she's actually into Miles and is showing him affection off camera?  Damn you show! 

I want Amani to be my friend.  ❤️ She won at dominoes.  Did we ever hear what her coupon prize would be?  Maybe for a puppy?! 

Edited by eclectcmoi
  • Love 13
34 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I think Brett is an a-hole and I do commend Olivia for not punching him in the face when he would get that sarcastic smirk during serious discussions. However, I also thought her face was extremely punchible on Unfiltered when she acted like it was craaaaaaaazy and unreasonable of him to be concerned about her going to the hospital and spending all day with Covid patients and then coming home and possibly infecting him. Especially in the early days of the pandemic when we were still learning so much, why wouldn't he be worried about her bringing it into their home? She also conveniently left out the fact that he expressed his disapproval of her breaking quarantine to travel and visit her parents for a week, which was also understandably upsetting for him. Even though he did it in the rudest way possible, I am really glad he left instead of drawing it out needlessly. If the timeline the show portrays is to be believed, he put in an additional six weeks past decision day. He did his time.

I also don't understand how this retreat was "safe" in any way, as Pastor Cal deemed it. They each had their own little cabin or whatever, which was good, but then the couples hung out together, not distanced and unmasked, and even prepped and ate meals together (I swear I saw Amelia shove her hand in a common serving bowl at one point). How was this safe? Did they mention anything about them being tested beforehand and I missed it?

• Love 16
6 minutes ago, eclectcmoi said:

Miles sharing his feelings at breakfast (I think?) with everyone... I kept talking to the TV, telling Karen to reach over and touch him in some way... his arm, his hand... SOMETHING to show her support of him and his vulnerability.  And... nothing.  That made my heart hurt for him. 

YES. I so agree. I was teary-eyed. Karen is one cold fish.

• Love 12

This really should be the Woody and Amani show. In fact, can we bring them back next season to replace the experts? I think they would do a better job and be more entertaining.

Poor Henry was SO twitchy when he was doing the letter exercise with ChristinA. I'm tired of ChristinA's dramatics. She doesn't seem to have much insight into her own behavior. And she couldn't find the text, my fanny.

Amelia and Bennett are entertaining and compatible, but it still feels like they miss each other in communicating sometimes. I don't think they're great at telling each other their deep emotions.

Miles and Karen are still Miles and Karen. I don't blame Miles for being frustrated. Karen has barely warmed up to him. What's going to change in the next two weeks to make them want to stay together?

Did not miss Brett and Olivia. Olivia is dullsville. There is nothing fun about her. Woody cracked me up with his reaction to ChristinA's hysterobabble about them.

Every season is pretty much the same - the couples settle into a pattern around week 3, and nothing much happens to rock the boat. Good couples get better and bad couples get worse and it's all pretty predictable.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, eclectcmoi said:

I want Amani to be my friend.  ❤️ She won at dominoes.  Did we ever hear what her coupon prize would be?  Maybe for a puppy?! 

I. Love. Her. SO MUCH!!! I just love the calm, measured way she speaks and the way she is clearly considering the feelings of the person to whom she is speaking, but is also not a doormat and makes her own feelings known in such an awesome way. She can get heated, as with the whole silly DM argument, but she still sounds so very present and fully committed to the conversation. She comes off as such a a wonderful communicator in a way that I don't think can be taught. It's just engrained in her personality. She is playful but also mature. I could really go on for days about her and her whole vibe and outlook (at least based on how she is being portrayed).

I believe what she wanted for her prize was to add another coupon for her coupon book, but I don't think she said what she wanted it to be. She is so into that coupon book!! Ugh, so adorable. Woody is a lucky man, and he better keep showing her that he knows it.

• Love 24
1 minute ago, gingerandcloves said:

Every season is pretty much the same - the couples settle into a pattern around week 3, and nothing much happens to rock the boat. Good couples get better and bad couples get worse and it's all pretty predictable.

I wonder why that is?  BECAUSE IT'S SCRIPTED???  🙂   

Sorry, I'm off my meds today.  LOL. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, sometimesjennifer said:

I think Brett is an a-hole and I do commend Olivia for not punching him in the face when he would get that sarcastic smirk during serious discussions.

And I think the show did everything in their power to make you think he is an asshole, including showing other cast members stating exactly that.  He is sarcastic - his own family said so and that can't be edited away. But again, his own wife described him as "a nice guy" who was disingenuous on camera. I also think Olivia is a humorless unaffectionate nag with an over inflated sense of self, but I don't see anyone calling her out on that, and there is my problem I guess.......

• Love 18
7 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

And I think the show did everything in their power to make you think he is an asshole, including showing other cast members stating exactly that.  He is sarcastic - his own family said so and that can't be edited away. But again, his own wife described him as "a nice guy" who was disingenuous on camera. I also think Olivia is a humorless unaffectionate nag with an over inflated sense of self, but I don't see anyone calling her out on that, and there is my problem I guess.......

Oh, no, I agree with that latter part - as I mentioned she takes ZERO responsibility for the part she played in pushing him away. She really wants everyone to see her as the victim of this awful guy, which is super cringy. They were not a good match from the start (as others have pointed out they seem to have been paired literally just because they both have cats) and she did nothing to try to be a good partner for him either. I think he endured her far longer than most men would have - I just cannot stand his face, producer manipulated or not. 😉

Edited by sometimesjennifer
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9

I like Amani but I really think she needs to mind her own business and concentrate on her own marriage.  Woody seems ok right now, and maybe he's fine for Amani, but he'd exhaust the hell out of me if I knew him, with the fast talking, mumbling, and shoulder dancing.   

Miles is a nice guy, but I think he overshared at the dinner table and pretty much put a downer on things.  I was waiting for him to just stop talking.  Karen is a cold fish but I imagine it's difficult to stay with someone for weeks when you know you're just not attracted to that person.  

The evil, cackling part of me would like to imagine someone giving Bennett some food laced with Ex-lax.  I'd like to see how he'd handle that "situation" with just one sheet of TP.  At this point, I think he and Amelia have outquirked themselves.  I'm over them.

I like Henry and I hope he has the balls to say No to ChristinA on D day. 

Brett did the right thing by leaving when he did.  No need to prolong the agony for both of them. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I misread it at first and thought his shirt said "Black Boytoy" and it made me giggle.

I don't think that it's a good sign for Karen and Miles but I think plenty of "normal," happily married adults go months between sexual encounters for a whole variety of reasons. 

Yes a few years into the marriage. Its more than just sex too she never initiates any affection. Its like she is the only one who needs to be re-assured. Many participants seem to take the attitude its the other person who has to win them over and make marriage work. Yet both end up single if it doesn't work out.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ilovepie said:

So where was the horrible editing? Her perpetual harping on issues with an endless torrent of words we had plenty of Olivia. Brett's had plenty of time to redeem himself and make himself likable...he just isn't. Most comments here have been negative toward both of them.

1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

Well, that was what we were shown.  Who really knows?  I suspect the outcomes are decided before they even begin filming.  LOL.  Yes, I'm jaded. 

All the people who participate have ample opportunity to tell us if its all rigged. There marriages and divorces are public documents.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Retired at last said:

I keep trying to give Karen the benefit of the doubt regarding Karen and hope that there is more to her than we see, but I really don't think that is the case. She IS cold and condescending towards a sweet, kind, loving man and it hurts me for Miles and that is not the result of editing.

I do not understand why Karen even bothered with this show.  She had to have known that if she was picked and married someone, that sex might be on the table, maybe she thought she could hold him off for a few weeks and it might have worked had it not been for COVID.

I also don't get why Christine was cast, especially if she doesn't live in NOLA, or anywhere it seems.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
5 minutes ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

So where was the horrible editing? Her perpetual harping on issues with an endless torrent of words we had plenty of Olivia. Brett's had plenty of time to redeem himself and make himself likable...he just isn't. Most comments here have been negative toward both of them.

All the people who participate have ample opportunity to tell us if its all rigged. There marriages and divorces are public documents.

They have to sign contracts when they agree to be on the show, non-disclosure agreements, that don't allow them to dispute the way the show was filmed. Reality tv is a big industry.  

• Love 5

This show, man. I cannot WAIT for ChristinA and her droopy scarf-hair bow and her jugs hanging out of her dress to get off my TV. I think Henry is being very gracious as he waits this out and pockets his participation money. Hope he rips her a new one after the show, but he probably won't. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 12

More thinking about Miles and Karen.  I think Miles just isn't her 'type'.  I think her type would be maybe five years older than her.  A good career making quite a bit of money.  I also think a different physique than Miles.  Smaller built and fastidious.  Well dressed and maybe lounging in comfortable slacks and slippers.

Miles is well educated, kind and just a really nice guy.  He's also young acting, athletic and anxious.  He needs a young woman anxious to jump right in. 

Just two different worlds!

• Love 7

I wish Miles would stop trying with Karen. She doesn't deserve him. 

Usually love Bennett but he was over the top this episode. His letter was childish and ridiculous and it hurt Amelia. 

ChristineA is really looking rough. No makeup, hair disheveled and greasy looking. Henry still looking like a fresh flower. I love him. 

Woody cracks me up. He has good bullshit radar. I pride myself on having that same radar. He knows ChristinA is batshit and doesn't have time for her BS.  He knows Henry has issues and talks in circles. He knows his buddy Miles is wasting his time and Karen is not being fair to him. Most of all, he has no problem saying such in front of the camera, he's not trying to sugar coat shit. 

• Love 19

I was just listening to the part where Karen talks about all the unrest and protests and then comments she's married to a black man. Doesn't she know she is a black woman?

I have noticed that Henry does seem to twitch even when just chatting with Woody. I guess they are troopers and want to make it to decision day. Henry will be inundated with offers to date (even marry) when it's done...

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

I was just listening to the part where Karen talks about all the unrest and protests and then comments she's married to a black man. Doesn't she know she is a black woman?

I'm assuming Karen mentioned being 'married to a black man' because discrimination, especially in terms of racial profiling by police, is worse for black men and she is sympathetic to his struggle. Someone please correct me if I interpreted that wrong. 

Edited by TheMediumBopper
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, rlc said:

I get that we only see what the editors show us, but I’m shocked by the amount of Brett support on these boards. Regardless of what you think you see in him, or whatever faults you find in Olivia, there’s no denying that in the first episode he definitely showed himself to be a total f*ck boi, and probably not actually looking for marriage.

See, I made the effort to try to get past that and give him the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't a total jerk because of that one incident and maybe not write him off from the get go.  God knows the show has been trying to sway everyone's opinions against him.  

Brett was sarcastic and many times dismissive and abrupt, but he to this day has not said anything bad about Olivia and has tried to protect her (and himself) from the not-very-hidden-agenda that the show has that if there isn't any dirt to dig up, they will manufacture some.  Olivia on the other hand complained, whined, and psychoanalyzed their marriage to death, and constantly see's herself as Little Red Riding Hood and Brett the Big Bad Wolf. 

Olivia was more than capable to dealing with Brett's sarcasm and getting him to stop being such an ass and maybe they could have had a chance, but not when they were diametrically opposed on the subject of children.  And where to live.  And how to budget and how much to spend on entertainment and travel.  

• Love 17
51 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I do not understand why Karen even bothered with this show.  She had to have known that if she was picked and married someone, that sex might be on the table, maybe she thought she could hold him off for a few weeks and it might have worked had it not been for COVID.

I also don't get why Christine was cast, especially if she doesn't live in NOLA, or anywhere it seems.

Yeah, I guess Karen didn't see the season with Iris and how well that worked out.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, TheMediumBopper said:

I'm assuming Karen mentioned being 'married to a black man' because discrimination, especially in terms of racial profiling by police, is worse for black men and she is sympathetic to his struggle. Someone please correct me if I interpreted that wrong. 

I think that's what she meant, although I don't agree that discrimination overall is worse for Black men. I am quite certain that Karen knows she is a Black woman; speaking as one myself, this country doesn't let you forget it. Black women are killed by police too (see: Breonna Taylor), and racism and misogyny cut us down in myriad ways every day (see: the racial wealth gap), but if the BLM protests she was referring to were in the wake of George Floyd's killing, she was likely thinking, and recognizing that Miles was thinking, that Miles and all the other Black men she knows could find themselves in Floyd's position very easily. I would bet that both Miles and Woody have had encounters with the police that have left them shaken.

Edited by Empress1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, Soup333 said:

Considering what he was talking about, this is a disheartening take. Miles was already appeared to be semi-depressed because he wasn’t working, then the protests started. Is there any wonder why he felt like he did? 

I won’t make this personal or political but this year has been exhausting and there’s still more to come!

I agree, these are challenging times, but I thought the main purpose of the getaway was to, you know, have some fun and relax.  That could have been a discussion for a different time, that's all.  I'm sure he's not the only one in the group feeling some kind of way, but his depression was out there for all to see and hear.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

It's the fact that they are showing everybody in this cast including one of the experts bagging on him. We've seen Miles call him an asshole, Christina called him a fuckboi, and Henry has not wasted a single opportunity to say how he dislikes him. Plus, Olivia has been on Unfiltered multiple times playing the victim with everyone supporting her and side eyeing him. It's a ridiculous amount of piling on. Last week showed the conversation with Pastor Cal where she calls him out for his being disingenuous on camera but they cut it off before the part where she says he's actually a nice guy off camera. Meanwhile, crickets from Brett. Is he sarcastic and smarmy? Yes. But I don't think he's quite the villain that they have made him out to be, nor is she some woman done wrong in the vein of Kate, or Amber or Mindy......

As far as making himself likeable, I don't think he gives a shit about that, especially knowing the show matched him with a totally unsuitable woman.......Frankly, I like that he went home. It's ridiculous watching Henry and Christina lying about whether they should stay together. The audience isn't that stupid.

The real story is that THESE TWO SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN MATCHED! But of course they are never going to admit that, and he left before they were done with him, so hey, he's an easy target for production to spin into the villain role.......

I get why people dislike him, I really do. I just resent the spin and Olivia not being called to account for her behavior. Or maybe it's just me - everyone hated Dave and I liked him, so there's that too 😜

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Karen just isn't into Miles.  Two months, four months and no sex.  That's just not normal for two married adults.

She's breaking his heart.  You need to leave Miles.  She couldn't find a husband on her own   Now we know why.

4 hours ago, Retired at last said:

I keep trying to give Karen the benefit of the doubt regarding Karen and hope that there is more to her than we see, but I really don't think that is the case. She IS cold and condescending towards a sweet, kind, loving man and it hurts me for Miles and that is not the result of editing.

This season has been pretty blah. Think there are some nice people on the show and some I could be friends with (if circumstances were real). I would like to know Amani, but don't think I would enjoy being around Woody; I think both Amelia and Bennett would be fun to be with; Miles, but not Karen; Henry, but NOT ChristinA; and neither Olivia or Brett.

I can't believe that after all this quarantine time, they are still saying that there are 2 more weeks until D Day. I hope we do get to see the Reunion show. D-Day is pretty uneventful, it is the 3 months after story I want to hear.

2 hours ago, eclectcmoi said:

Yes, Bennett was eating with a whisk.  Were there not enough forks for everyone or was this just another attempt at quirk? 

Miles sharing his feelings at breakfast (I think?) with everyone... I kept talking to the TV, telling Karen to reach over and touch him in some way... his arm, his hand... SOMETHING to show her support of him and his vulnerability.  And... nothing.  That made my heart hurt for him.  Also, in everything we're shown, Karen's body language is turned away from Miles.  She's definitely not into him and after four months????   I also wonder why Karen didn't participate in the talks with the other wives.  Could it be all editing and she's actually into Miles and is showing him affection off camera?  Damn you show! 

Even though everyone is different, I can usually tell when a lady is into a guy even if they are not having sex. For instance, Virgin Iris was always rubbing up and trying to snuggle with Keith. I could see that she was very attracted to him

Karen is always keeping Miles at arm's length. She is treating him like an annoying little brother, not a a man who lights her fire. We would be seeing a whole different Karen if she actually like Miles in a physical way.

That being said, she might say yes on decision day because she does not want to be alone.

Miles, please do not say yes. You might be tempted because you like Karen and she is very attractive and put together. However, you deserve much more and your sensitive nature will not be happy. Her coldness will start to wear down your naturally happy disposition. 

I think what really hurts is that Miles was originally selected for the show and Woody came along for the ride. Now, Woody has probably found his soul mate and Miles will (and should) divorce. 

It is not that I think Miles is jealous ( I think he is honestly happy for his friend) but it still kind of sucks. It is like taking your best friend along for a double blind date for company and the best friend finds the love of their life and your date turns out to be a total dud.

2 hours ago, sometimesjennifer said:

Oh, no, I agree with that latter part - as I mentioned she takes ZERO responsibility for the part she played in pushing him away. She really wants everyone to see her as the victim of this awful guy, which is super cringy. They were not a good match from the start (as others have pointed out they seem to have been paired literally just because they both have cats) and she did nothing to try to be a good partner for him either. I think he endured her far longer than most men would have - I just cannot stand his face, producer manipulated or not. 😉

In all honesty, both Olivia and Brett have their pros and cons. However, the horrible relationship was at feet of the experts. There was no way these people would ever make a good couple:

• Olivia has a high stress/high paying job and believes you should try to go for the brass ring career wise
  • Brett has a well paying/relatively low stress job which gives him plenty of time to do the things he enjoys
  • Olivia works hard and plays hard
  • Brett wants a lowkey life where he can save his coin
  • Olivia wants to travel and experience fine dining
  • Brett wants to stay home to tinker with his projects and work out
  • Olivia rents in a posh/fashionable area
  • Brett owns a modest home in a more Podunk part of town
  • Olivia is not sure about kids
  • Brett wants to have kids as soon as possible

Even their cats were different:

• Brett has a giant orange cat who seemed to have a pretty outgoing personality.
  • Oliva had a cute little dark slinky cat who seemed to keep to herself (I think she had another cat we did not see).

A simple Google search would probably of turned up that these two were not right for each other in any way. I am sure that the experts will explain away this pair with an "opposite attracts" bullshit.

• Love 14
29 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I get why people dislike him, I really do. I just resent the spin and Olivia not being called to account for her behavior. Or maybe it's just me - everyone hated Dave and I liked him, so there's that too 😜

If you mean Dave & Amber, I liked Dave too.  But Dave was done early on IMO by Amber's histrionics and would have pulled the plug sooner if he could have.

Olivia is going to find out when all the shows finally air that a lot of people think her whining and complaining and finding fault was a serious factor in the marriage breaking up.  

4 minutes ago, qtpye said:

n all honesty, both Olivia and Brett have their pros and cons. However, the horrible relationship was at feet of the experts. There was no way these people would ever make a good couple:

• Olivia has a high stress/high paying job and believes you should try to go for the brass ring career wise
  • Brett has a well paying/relatively low stress job which gives him plenty of time to do the things he enjoys
  • Olivia works hard and plays hard
  • Brett wants a lowkey life where he can save his coin
  • Olivia wants to travel and experience fine dining
  • Brett wants to stay home to tinker with his projects and work out
  • Olivia rents in a posh/fashionable area
  • Brett owns a modest home in a more Podunk part of town
  • Olivia is not sure about kids
  • Brett wants to have kids as soon as possible

Even their cats were different:

• Brett has a giant orange cat who seemed to have a pretty outgoing personality.
  • Oliva had a cute little dark slinky cat who seemed to keep to herself (I think she had another cat we did not see).

A simple Google search would probably of turned up that these two were not right for each other in any way. I am sure that the experts will explain away this pair with an "opposite attracts" bullshit.

I think the cats give this couple just enough of an edge that they are not THE WORST COUPLE THE EXPERTS MATCHED THIS SEASON.  Maybe just second worst.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I think that's what she meant, although I don't agree that discrimination overall is worse for Black men. I am quite certain that Karen knows she is a Black woman; speaking as one myself, this country doesn't let you forget it. Black women are killed by police too (see: Breonna Taylor), and racism and misogyny cuts us down in myriad ways every day (see: the racial wealth gap), but if the BLM protests she was referring to were in the wake of George Floyd's killing, she was likely thinking, and recognizing that Miles was thinking, that Miles and all the other Black men she knows could find themselves in Floyd's position very easily. I would bet that both Miles and Woody have had encounters with the police that have left them shaken.

Thank you. That's what I was getting at in my post; I was thinking of George Floyd, and I imagined that Karen was too, but I didn't explain this as well as you did. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I don't think we see anything close to reality on these type of shows, the edit Brett got before the marriage was different than later on.  I did get the impression different times that he was not well liked by some of the other cast members but Olivia seemed well liked and respected.  I personally never felt they were a good match from the beginning, even their cats had issues lol.

Same goes with the drama between Miles and Karen, the producers are so manipulative it’s ridiculous.  I just assume the ones with issues are probably not going to make it in the long run.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, endure said:

Same goes with the drama between Miles and Karen, the producers are so manipulative it’s ridiculous.  I just assume the ones with issues are probably not going to make it in the long run.

I think Karen really regrets not sticking with her initial feelings about Miles when she saw his Facebook page and tell the producers she didn't want to go through with it.  Now she's stuck, and her frustrations are getting harder to hide.  I feel sorry for her because she knows Miles is a great guy............for someone else.  She is not attracted to him at all, and she knew it for sure when she met him on the altar.  Unless in the next 2 weeks or whenever D-Day is she comes to some realization that he's someone she could learn to love, her best option is to end the marriage, do some serious reflection of what kind of guy really attracts her and why, and then try to find that person.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Yes.  And Woody has more than once used a fork to stir stuff in what looks like a non-stick skillet.  They need some utensil training.

I noticed it before that, coiled along the top of the headboard.  Nobody else's bed had one, and I thought, "Of course they brought a six-foot stuffed snake with them."

I thought the ladder golf with Karen and Miles was interesting because they were talking about how competitive he is, and he clearly wasn't happy with how he was doing.  In ladder golf.

I would have faked it and let him win.  He’s not winning with her and is depressed enough.  Let the guy be good at something at this point.

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

I agree, these are challenging times, but I thought the main purpose of the getaway was to, you know, have some fun and relax.  That could have been a discussion for a different time, that's all.  I'm sure he's not the only one in the group feeling some kind of way, but his depression was out there for all to see and hear.  

Well, you can't really relax when shit is going on all around you.  And this might have been right after George Floyd's murder.

The thing with Karen is, her choices haven't really been the best.  Remember her last boyfriend had a child with another woman.  Karen might have a bad picker.

I think the reason why some on this board are not picking on Brett is because this show has a habit of making someone the villain who may not be the villain at all.  I think about Nate and Shelia from a few seasons ago.  When Dr. Pepper visited Nate at his home, she saw a pair of woman's shoes in the trunk of his car, Nate hand waved it.  Later when he and Shelia had issues, the editing made Shelia look like a crazy woman.  They did divorce and I believe it came out that Nate had been seeing another woman on the side (?)  Maybe that's who the shoes belonged to?

I think Brett made himself an easy target because he acted like an asshole at the bachelor party.  But I guess time will tell if he really is an asshole.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 10
17 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Amelia seemed genuinely hurt that Bennett didn’t mention her in his letter. I’ve always felt that she cares a lot more for him than he does for her.

Aaaaaand "expert" Viv has done her job - created conflict between one of our happy couples.  What a stupid exercise - should they all be writing "Dear younger self - wait until you get older and go on a reality tv show!  You'll have a blast and meet the love of your life!"?  

13 hours ago, qtpye said:

It is interesting to me that some chronic liars become very good at lying (practice makes perfect) and some are horrible but continue to lie anyway. Michael from last season was an example of someone who was a horrible liar.

Did she expect telling Henry that someone told her that he was gay was going to make him fall at her feet and yell "Yes, I am gay...it is the only way that I am able to resist your Goddess like beauty"?

Haha what a match Michael and Christina would have been 😄   And I think she expected Henry to say "I'll show you who's not gay!" and pounce on her!

1 hour ago, Ilovepie said:

I liked Dave too.  (I didn't mind AJ either 😄 )

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

I am sure that the experts will explain away this pair with an "opposite attracts" bullshit.

I am sure the experts bullshit will involve leaving the failure at Brett's feet and telling poor Olivia that she will find someone wonderful in the future. We will never hear them say they fucked up by matching two people who have absolutely nothing in common except a couple cats. Or rather, the producers did since I'm pretty sure they pick these people and the experts just pretend to do it.......

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I have said this every season, and I'll say it this season.

It's dumb luck that any couples on this series stay married.

I don't think it's that easy to pick people for this show.  For one, they need to find people who....

• Are the age range the show is looking for
  • Are willing to get married at first sight.
  • Are willing to be filmed for X number of weeks and won't get into any trouble with their employers
  • Have the support of their families, if they don't, they need to have friends who support them
  • Are camera ready and physically healthy (no drug addicts or alcoholics, though some might slip in)
  • Not outwardly fame whorish (no cosmetic surgery addicts)

So the pool of candidates is limited, it's a wonder anybody stays together.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, princelina said:

I keep forgetting to add - I was so happy to see Bennett wearing gloves to cook!  And not for Covid reasons either 😄 

Yeah, at least he did that!  Whenever I see him now, all I can think about is how I would never want him sitting on my furniture.  Amelia either. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
50 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I don't think it's that easy to pick people for this show.  For one, they need to find people who....

• Are willing to be filmed for X number of weeks and won't get into any trouble with their employers
  • Have the support of their families, if they don't, they need to have friends who support them
  • Are camera ready and physically healthy (no drug addicts or alcoholics, though some might slip in)

Yes, it is on par with a broken clock is correct at least twice a day.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

everyone hated Dave and I liked him, so there's that too 😜

I liked him, too, and saw Amber's ridiculous insecurity as their main problem. 

I missed the first hour and didn't care enough to watch it again - did they explain why Karen was not meeting with the girls and why Woody was not with the guys? Thanks.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, suzeecat said:

THIS RIGHT HERE!  I was coming here today to post literally the same.  I think Bennett and Amelia truly do love each other but decided early on to see just how outrageous they could make this all appear.  They're playing us, you guys! 

And, I bet Amani wishes she had a dime for every time someone called her Armani . . .

Amani has good insight and advice for everyone, why doesn't she tell Karen to get off her high horse and warm up to Miles already?  Karen's standoffishness towards Miles detracts from her beauty.  She gives off this air that she's better than all this and it's all a big mistake that she got paired with someone who doesn't meet her flawed criteria.  How many times have we heard someone interview for this show saying that they don't have luck picking a partner and have made bad choices in the past, and then turn around once matched and complain that "they're just not what I'm used to/not my type"? 

"Armani" is the default auto-correct. 😁 

At the very, very end, Bennett was shown with his hair slicked back. Add his moustache and he looked rather dashing! 😇 But a true romantic, he is not. Not only did he totally ruin the silly "letter" exercise for Amelia by writing solely about some trading card; he also  previously gave less than zero thought to his 1-month anniversary gift for Amelia. 

Amelia and Karen have some killa games skillz! 🏀

I'm tired of Miles. Dump Karen, Miles! At least then she'll respect you! 

Henry's version of eye-rolling is slanting his head like a parrot! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

The show always refers to the fact arranged marriages were common 150-200 years ago and they worked.  What they don't say is most of the time it was the parents putting the couple together, and there was no saying no.....you did what your father and mother told you to do, whether you liked it or not.  And people were less educated and less sophisticated. Most women didn't work outside the home so they didn't have a frame of reference of what their peers were doing.  But you are right...it's a crapshoot. 

I know the experts are sincere and really want to match people who have a lot of things in common, but they lost all credibility with me when maybe in the second season they began picking people that were complete opposites in the hopes one of them would boost the other up or calm the other person down or bring someone out of their shell, and this was not just unsuccessful but a tragedy for the hopeful people who really wanted to get married.  For a while they stopped doing that, but I can unequivocally say they are back at it this season with Christina and Henry.  Never have two people had less in common.....OK, maybe Lisa Marie Pressley and Michael Jackson, and that ain't even true because they at least had the Elvis worship going on. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2