Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: Ready Or Not

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I'm an American married to a Brit. We met 1000s of miles from home when we were living in the same flat getting our MAs. We've been together for 15 years, have 3 (2 living, 1 deceased) beautiful children, and both have successful careers. I wouldn't call either one of us "losers." There's a difference between meeting and falling in love with a foreigner and "having" to go to another country because you CAN'T find a partner here. David/Annie=met and cultivated a relationship while he was living abroad vs David/Lana=creepy and a little disturbing and probably couldn't find someone here if he tried. 

Thank you, @mamadrama for saying this! My niece is also an American married to a Brit, and like you and your husband they met organically. They were both working for a nonprofit organization founded by former British PM Tony Blair that raised funds to buy mosquito nets for African countries to prevent malaria and other mosquito-borne diseases (apparently mosquito nets are like gold in Africa - very expensive). They were part of a group that went on visits to several African countries to learn and understand about the need for the nets as part of their jobs. They hit it off on the trip, stayed in touch, visited back and forth, and about 5 years ago he came over on the K-1. And like you and your husband, they're not losers! Both are college educated (in fact, he came here because she was in the middle earning her Ph.D!) and have good careers. I appreciated your standing up for yourself and others like you. There IS a difference between some of the folks on the 90 Day franchise shows and real life couples like you and your husband/my niece and her husband.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, LadyoftheLake23 said:

And like you and your husband, they're not losers! Both are college educated (in fact, he came here because she was in the middle earning her Ph.D!) and have good careers.

If a person has a Ph.D and a good career, that means....that they have a Ph.D. and a good career, nothing more.

1 hour ago, MrBuhBye said:

I think the OP was referring to people who specifically look for foreign mates, not those who meet them naturally.

Yes, that's what I think too.  There's a difference between meeting someone from another country and going to another country, (or a dating site) specifically to meet someone from another country because you have issues with people in your own country. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, LadyoftheLake23 said:

Thank you, @mamadrama for saying this! My niece is also an American married to a Brit, and like you and your husband they met organically. They were both working for a nonprofit organization founded by former British PM Tony Blair that raised funds to buy mosquito nets for African countries to prevent malaria and other mosquito-borne diseases (apparently mosquito nets are like gold in Africa - very expensive). They were part of a group that went on visits to several African countries to learn and understand about the need for the nets as part of their jobs. They hit it off on the trip, stayed in touch, visited back and forth, and about 5 years ago he came over on the K-1. And like you and your husband, they're not losers! Both are college educated (in fact, he came here because she was in the middle earning her Ph.D!) and have good careers. I appreciated your standing up for yourself and others like you. There IS a difference between some of the folks on the 90 Day franchise shows and real life couples like you and your husband/my niece and her husband.

♥️ It's a shame that, for the sake of entertainment, the David/Lanas, Ed/Roses, Eric/Leidas, Brittany/Yazans, and Angela/Michaels of the world are chosen as representatives of us. The fact is that MOST of us are just regular people who met in regular ways and just happen to be from different countries. But you're never going to see couples like us on there because we're just ordinary couples dealing with the same things that every other couple faces. The show's a hoot to watch, but it shouldn't be taken as any kind of proof or statement about International couples. Hell, I'm still convinced that half the people on here aren't even real couples! 😁 (I love your username, btw. It makes me think of Avalon.)

• Love 5
2 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

I think the OP was referring to people who specifically look for foreign mates, not those who meet them naturally.

Not sure who you're aiming this at, but I also specifically addressed this point in my post...

22 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I'm an American married to a Brit. We met 1000s of miles from home when we were living in the same flat getting our MAs. We've been together for 15 years, have 3 (2 living, 1 deceased) beautiful children, and both have successful careers. I wouldn't call either one of us "losers." There's a difference between meeting and falling in love with a foreigner and "having" to go to another country because you CAN'T find a partner here. David/Annie=met and cultivated a relationship while he was living abroad vs David/Lana=creepy and a little disturbing and probably couldn't find someone here if he tried. 

Please read what I wrote again.   I think I made it VERY clear what I was talking about.  

• Love 2
On 10/12/2020 at 4:10 AM, CatracaTV said:

Add to it the idea that she's harped on how he has changed his look; all the while her looks (body) has gone through quite a lot of changes too; for her shallow sake I hope her body snaps back or she'll be one miserable arse.....

Bini looks the same to me. Minus his dreads. I dont get how he looks "different". Maybe he's not in his "show shape", anyone who's worked with fitness ppl etc knows they dont stay "show ready" 365 days a year, but he looks THE SAME. He cut his hair. He is still fit and toned. I do NOT understand what the hell she is talking about.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Bini looks the same to me. Minus his dreads. I dont get how he looks "different". Maybe he's not in his "show shape", anyone who's worked with fitness ppl etc knows they dont stay "show ready" 365 days a year, but he looks THE SAME. He cut his hair. He is still fit and toned. I do NOT understand what the hell she is talking about.

Yeah maybe the hair distracted from his nose, but she doesn’t have room to comment on that.

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Bini looks like a 'regular' Black guy now.  He's attractive but he doesn't fit the 'chiffarobe busting' fantasy she seems to have.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

Bini looks like a 'regular' Black guy now.  He's attractive but he doesn't fit the 'chiffarobe busting' fantasy she seems to have.

Maybe that’s it. Maybe he just looks like a regular handsome Ethiopian guy you’d see in DC or Chicago or NYC. 

• Love 5
18 hours ago, ExMathMajor said:

Brittany is a terrible person for many reasons, among them the fact that she didn't hook her mom up with the name of her wig supplier.

VERY funny!  I have to admit I noticed the dueling weaves too!  I have a feeling that Brittany's mother isn't the type of woman who would spend hundreds of dollars on fake hair.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

Please read what I wrote again.   I think I made it VERY clear what I was talking about.  

I got your point, which is exactly why I addressed it with the David/Lana example at the end of my reply.

Edited by mamadrama
On 10/14/2020 at 9:30 PM, mamadrama said:

David/Annie=met and cultivated a relationship while he was living abroad vs David/Lana=creepy and a little disturbing and probably couldn't find someone here if he tried. 

I would argue that David of David/Annie falls into the same category as David of David/Lana, a guy who couldn't find a girlfriend to save his life back home and looked for a young girl abroad in a poor country  I think he even ranks lower because at least David of David/Lana is financially self-sufficient and doesn't have much baggage.  David of David/Anniie, besides being fat, bald, and a horrible parent to his kids, was unemployed and homeless when he met Annie, leaching off his friend who got him that gig in Thailand.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Dobian said:

I would argue that David of David/Annie falls into the same category as David of David/Lana, a guy who couldn't find a girlfriend to save his life back home and looked for a young girl abroad in a poor country  I think he even ranks lower because at least David of David/Lana is financially self-sufficient and doesn't have much baggage.  David of David/Anniie, besides being fat, bald, and a horrible parent to his kids, was unemployed and homeless when he met Annie, leaching off his friend who got him that gig in Thailand.

Aren't David and Annie going to have a cooking show or something?

The show is repeating tonight supposedly with extra footage.   They are starting with Jenny and Sumit.  Just noticed that in the scenes where Jenny is talking to the camera, she has 3-inch grey roots.   Clearly that was filmed way after the scenes with Sumit in India because she has blonde roots there.    It takes a few months to get roots that long.  Wonder if those scenes were filmed well into the pandemic.  

• Useful 2
58 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

I’m watching this tonight, forgot  it was back. This is filmed so long ago, there are Christmas decorations in Chicago in Brittany’s scenes. 

Yeah it’s common that the Sharp stuff is 9-12 months old.  

• Love 1
On 10/13/2020 at 1:50 PM, Dobian said:

I read that she hasn't posted a pic of her and Cheesedick on Instagram since 2017.  I get the feeling they were on the outs for a long time and Cheesedick came up with the 90 Days idea and moving to Colombia as a last-ditch attempt to revive the relationship.  She only went along with it to get her face on tv and also to publicly humiliate him.  Make him apologize to everyone in her family, throw contempt at him whenever the cameras were on, and save that secret for the coup de gras.  

Insofar as Cheesedick and Melysa I usually fast forward because he's such a smarmy sad sack but I watched more of this couple. If Melysa was halfway wanting to be on television, why does she present with such a RBF, resting bitch face? I've not seen her smile once, and maybe she could show just a little humor and/or personality occasionally. She's young with good skin and hair, so what's her problem? No talent scout wants what she's selling. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

Biniyam may no longer have dreads but he is still one good looking man! Good lord, if Ariela doesn’t want him, I’m sure Kalani, Libby, or Deavan would take him and his five jobs.

I’d give Bini a tumble if he smiled at me. But I’d WRAP IT UP and send him on his way!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 10/11/2020 at 10:33 PM, Barbara Please said:

Kenny and the tears..again. if communication is so important to him , why didn’t Ken take Spanish lessons beforehand and practice with Armando? its not like he didn’t have the time. also he needs to give the parents some time, he could impress them by simply learning more about the language and culture. 

Honorable mention to Cheesedick. At least he can speak the language and is trying to get a job. 

Kenny has driven me to pause the show so I can come here and vent.  He says, "All I really want is for them to give me a chance!  Just give me a chance."

Well, Kenny, you HAD a chance--a chance to learn more than three words of Spanish for the occasion when you met Armando's family.  Hola mucho gusto hola mucho gusto hola mucho gusto.  How shocking they aren't bowled over by your charisma.

At the very least, they had a four hour drive to get there.  Plenty of time to memorize a few ice-breaker sentences.  [Thank you so much for inviting me.  What a lovely home.  Hannah is beautiful, like her grandmother.]

That was a awkward little gathering, though, wasn't it?  The whole family sitting outside on straight-back chairs, everyone in a semi-circle facing the production crew's kleig lights.  No one even had a cerveza or any refreshment.  That's not a pleasant environment to announce your engagement, Armando.  I blame Kenny.

Finally, when it's all over, Kenny says he thought it would go better.  I just want to reach through the television and smack him.  What made you think it would "go better," Kenny?  You've never met these people, you don't know anything about the country or the culture and you haven't tried to learn.  You know nothing, Jon Snow.

• Love 13
13 hours ago, candall said:

That was a awkward little gathering, though, wasn't it?  The whole family sitting outside on straight-back chairs, everyone in a semi-circle facing the production crew's kleig lights.  No one even had a cerveza or any refreshment. 

Beer or margaritas could have either been the best idea or the worst idea for that party, depending on the quantity consumed and by whom.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 10/16/2020 at 3:01 PM, Dobian said:

David of David/Anniie, besides being fat, bald, and a horrible parent to his kids, was unemployed and homeless when he met Annie, leaching off his friend who got him that gig in Thailand.

Not to pile on--well, maybe it IS piling on.  Didn't David have gastric bypass surgery BEFORE that trip to Thailand?

• Love 5
On 10/13/2020 at 3:43 PM, mittsigirl said:

And I agree-stop calling your boyfriend BABY!!! He hasn't been anybody's baby for many years now, he is a grown man! She drives me crazy-obviously!

I agree with your entire post...except for two of these sentences.  It's difficult for HER to stop calling him BABY when that's his name...a nickname to be sure, but that's what his family has called him all his life--and still does.  That's also his stage name.  Technically he has been "everybody's baby for many years now."   I think I'm repeating myself.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 10/15/2020 at 7:06 PM, mamadrama said:

♥️ It's a shame that, for the sake of entertainment, the David/Lanas, Ed/Roses, Eric/Leidas, Brittany/Yazans, and Angela/Michaels of the world are chosen as representatives of us. The fact is that MOST of us are just regular people who met in regular ways and just happen to be from different countries. But you're never going to see couples like us on there because we're just ordinary couples dealing with the same things that every other couple faces.

Alexei and Loren are just regular people who met in a regular way, and they were on the show.  I didn't see their season, but I ran across them on Pillow Talk and they're delightful.  By far my favorite couple, which I suspect isn't a coincidence.

• Love 4
On 10/18/2020 at 10:43 AM, AZChristian said:

Beer or margaritas could have either been the best idea or the worst idea for that party, depending on the quantity consumed and by whom.

I agree!  It could have lightened the mood or it could have made people fighty.....or turned them into cryers!!!

• Love 2
On 10/13/2020 at 2:25 PM, Adeejay said:

Ari most definitely identifies as being Jewish; hence why she wears the Star of David as a pendant on her necklace.  And, let's not forget the way she freaked out when Bini's sisters mentioned wanting the baby to be baptized a Christian. 

I think the issue with the baptism was that SHE would also have to be baptized. There was some nonsense about a baby couldn't breastfeed from a non-christian? I've certainly never heard of that.

Regardless, religion is a tough topic. My mother has a very strong faith, and I know that it hurt her that we didn't baptize our daughter, but I couldn't go through the theatre of it, if I didn't believe. That said, I also have friends (Jewish) that send their children to a private (Catholic) school. I can't wrap my head around that one.

• Love 1
On 10/20/2020 at 2:15 PM, Kymmi said:

I think the issue with the baptism was that SHE would also have to be baptized. There was some nonsense about a baby couldn't breastfeed from a non-christian? I've certainly never heard of that.

Regardless, religion is a tough topic. My mother has a very strong faith, and I know that it hurt her that we didn't baptize our daughter, but I couldn't go through the theatre of it, if I didn't believe. That said, I also have friends (Jewish) that send their children to a private (Catholic) school. I can't wrap my head around that one.

Yes, KYMMI, that's what the "priest" or whatever he was said.  The baby would have to suckle at a Christian breast.

My brothers & I were all raised Catholic and attended Catholic grade school through 8th grade.  The older one, now 65 (?) is basically non-religious but one time, after he'd had just a little too much to drink, he admitted that he regretted that his boys didn't have any religious structure growing up.  He complained that they don't even know the bible stories that we grew up on.  He & his (now ex-) wife refused to baptize their children, feeling they that were oh-so much more enlightened than the rest of us.  I'm not sure they ever did it, but my parents "joked" about how they'd visit one time and perform their own "baptism" in the creek that ran behind my brother's house.  I wouldn't have a problem with that.  It would give my parents some peace of mind and there's no big ceremony.

As far as sending children to a private school?  I feel that we got a very good education.  Our classes were 45-50+ students, but those nuns put the fear of God into us & there was extra tutoring available for anyone who fell behind.  Public schools are required to teach anyone, but if you don't fall in line in a private school they can just kick you out and  you become someone else's problem.

• Love 4
On 10/20/2020 at 2:15 PM, Kymmi said:

That said, I also have friends (Jewish) that send their children to a private (Catholic) school. I can't wrap my head around that one.

In the Phoenix area, the top "prep schools" were Brophy (for boys) and Xavier (for girls)...different administrations, but the same parish, etc.  Many wealthy parents sent their non-Catholic children to those schools because of the strong academics and great reputation.  "Poor" kids (Catholic and non) attend both  schools on scholarships).  Meghan McCain attended Xavier (and she's a baptist).  Brophy has only 65% Catholic kids.  They study world religions and learn acceptance from each other.

I graduated from a Catholic girls's school (the boys' school was three blocks away) in 1958 and even THEN we had non-Catholics in our school.  

• Love 1