Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: Ready Or Not

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, mightysparrow said:

Brittany clearly has some serious issues.  She seems to think that this is some kind of game.  Does she really think this bullshit is going to make her a star?  She ain't that cute, even with the fake hair, braces and fake lashes.  She's ugly on the INSIDE.  She's playing with Yazan's LIFE.  I can understand that she might have issues with converting to Islam, but Yazan has said 'MY wife will be a Muslim'.  She should tell him that she has no intention of converting and call it a day.  And does she have any idea that she is putting Yazan's life (and possibly his family) in danger?  His family is being shamed all over the world.  That means something in Jordan. 

• But, MightySparroooowwwwwwwwww....then she won't be on television any morrrrrrrrrrre.  
  • She's so cute, so talented, so smart...so much better than the rest of us.
  • Actually, Brittany is an idiot...a selfish, snotty, idiot.
  • Yazan's father WILL kill him; does she not get that?  It's not an idle threat.
  • This production company is playing with fire.  They should be sued if anything happens.
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Not so sure he's "sanctimonious" ... but I agree with all other parts of your post.  He doesn't realize that HE's showing disrespect because he's so concerned about his own feelings.  He's just an insecure gay guy who was able to evolve with his country's "culture."  He's old enough to remember when things were horrible for him here.

He's ignorant* and insecure about so much: his age, Alejandro's age, his homosexuality, anything other than "American" (food, customs, comforts, hygiene, relationships, dwellings, decor, daily business--shopping, etc.) 

*IGNORANT isn't "dumb."   ig·no·rant  adjective  lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.

Ignorant also is not the same thing as bigoted.  I believe Armando's father is ignorant regarding societal views and/or acceptance of homosexuality, but I do not feel that he is a bigot.  I tend to be a "give him the benefit of the doubt" person, and when he came out of his house, shook hands with Kenny, and reassured Armando that he could still consider his father's home as his home, I didn't get an evil or threatening bigot vibe.  I felt that he is still extremely confused.  

1 hour ago, mightysparrow said:

I hear what you're saying, but I think it's a different situation.  Armando's family is just getting used to the fact that their son is gay.  They didn't jump for joy, but they didn't throw him out of their home and tell him they never want to see him again.  His father said 'I'm going to need some time'.  Armando is from a different country with a different culture.  A lot of it is because of religion but not all of it.  I don't think it's fair to expect Armando's family to be on OUR timetable.

Armando was clearly anxious on the ride down to his parents house.  Kenny saw that anxiety and decided to ignore it because it didn't suit HIS needs.  What kind of relationship is that?  Kenny has shown little to no respect that Mexico is country with a different culture and a different LANGUAGE.  He expects everything to be just like in the good ol' USA.  If that's what he wants, maybe he should have stayed where everything is just the way he wants it.

I'm a Black woman too and if the family of the man I wanted to marry said straight out that they hated Black people, I'd be out the door.  And I'd NEVER go back.  But Armando's family hasn't said they hate gay people.  They welcomed Kenny into their home and treated him with respect.  Maybe it's not Kenny's gayness that is the issue but his pushy, ugly American attitude.

Well said.

• Love 13
12 hours ago, suzywallis said:

And for Melyza and CHeesedick?  Please.  Give me a break.  They won't be together past the Tell-all, if not before.

I read that she hasn't posted a pic of her and Cheesedick on Instagram since 2017.  I get the feeling they were on the outs for a long time and Cheesedick came up with the 90 Days idea and moving to Colombia as a last-ditch attempt to revive the relationship.  She only went along with it to get her face on tv and also to publicly humiliate him.  Make him apologize to everyone in her family, throw contempt at him whenever the cameras were on, and save that secret for the coup de gras.  She told her brother and his friend that she had had relationships, plural, so clearly she had broken up with Cheesedick entirely and has been dating like she's single the past couple of years.  Then TLC came along.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Unpopular opinion , but I didn’t think Kenny acted badly in this episode . He was respectful And didn’t say a bad word about Armando’s family . Yes , maybe he expected too much acceptance right away , but it was just a very awkward situation . Everyone was respectful but no one was speaking at all even to each other . Kenny just looked like he felt uncomfortable which I can’t blame him for . 

But Kenny created much of the awkwardness by pushing Armando to announce things that didn't need to be announced at that time, especially if you're trying to make things as unawkward as possible.  He doesn't get to foment the awkwardness and then complain about it.

42 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Ooops, is it "me"? It's been 50+ years since Spanish class and studying Italian since then has really messed with my efforts to learn a foreign language.

The problem is the "es."  "Llamo" doesn't mean "name."  It's the first person singular of "llamar," which means "to call." 

In Spanish, a person asks ¿Cómo se llama?  That means "What do you call yourself?"  And the answer is "I call myself..."  Me llamo magemaud

I like it when Cheesedick speaks Spanish because he does it so slow and with an American accent, so I can actually understand it.

Edited to add from Spanish 1, I'll never forget the sentence my friend wrote, "Mi llama se llama Juana." It still cracks us up. 

That's hilarious.  All our Spanish 1 came up with, "Hola, frijole.  How have you bean?"

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Back Atcha said:
  • If he thinks his son is committing an unforgivable sin
  • If it's his culture
  • If it's his religion
  • If it's all he knows
  • If it's the majority opinion of everyone he has ever known...
  • He probably cannot help the way he feels...or acts.

Who are WE to to judge him?  That's the same thing Armando's father is doing.  

That was my point EXACTLY.  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I don't know how I feel about that. 

So does that mean that I, as a black woman should just say, "it's okay if you hate me, because stuff takes time?"  

Totally agree with this sentiment.  I guess to me, since I'm not the party being discriminated against its not really up to me to sort of handwave away Kenny's feelings and pain and tell him to "get over it because its the culture!"

But, I really wish he'd give Armando a little more credit for his bravery and perhaps stop pushing.  And if he has it in his heart, it would be nice if he could give his soon-to-be inlaws as much credit as he can.  Right or wrong, I know that man didn't want to be on TV greeting his son's fiancee.  They SHOULD accept him and it sucks that this is the best they can do.  He is going to have to work twice as hard and maybe only get half the acceptance, and so many people in a minority position have to deal with the same.  Which sucks.  

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

• But, MightySparroooowwwwwwwwww....then she won't be on television any morrrrrrrrrrre.  
  • She's so cute, so talented, so smart...so much better than the rest of us.
  • Actually, Brittany is an idiot...a selfish, snotty, idiot.
  • Yazan's father WILL kill him; does she not get that?  It's not an idle threat.
  • This production company is playing with fire.  They should be sued if anything happens.

This is what annoys me about Brittney.  She is such a famewhore that she will gladly trade Yazan's life for her 15 minutes of fame.  All the time with that silly ass smile on her face after she pretend cries for a few minutes.  

I think she is the very worst this season, because she will parade around and play victim and act like she never knew that her marriage could get Yazan killed.  But there is a reason she isn't telling anyone about it and its because she is likely worried that she will get killed.  But she can get on a plane and leave and he has to deal with family estrangement and being an outcast.

She NEVER planned to stay in Jordan.  She has only begrudgingly covered her tits, ass and 30 inch yaki weave hair.  Say what you will about Avery, but she threw herself into Omar's culture at least 90%  Brittney showed up there and immediately wanted to break every single culture rule and norm.  She is going to dictate rules to an entire country?  She can't get rid of the serious artistic ass shaking and twerking she does on social media?  

So, I don't believe the story that Brittney is going to try to sell, which is that she was really prepared to live in Jordan but Yazan and his family drove her away.  Bullshit.  She is playing with a man's life because she wants to be on television and isn't pretty enough to be a video vixen or date an NBA player.  

• Love 22
3 hours ago, Neurochick said:

You're right.  What's so bad about her is that she's doing this on TV, for all the world to see. 

Maybe not on this show because so many of them are fame whores.  

Some people might see the way Armando's dad acted as being hateful, I kind of sensed that myself.  A lot of people see the world as black or white.  Either you accept me or you don't.   Case closed.  

My main issue with Kenny is how he has never bothered to learn Spanish and he's planning on LIVING in Mexico.  Does Kenny really want to live in Mexico?  Maybe he really doesn't.  Maybe what he wants is to convince Armando and his daughter to come to America to live.  

It really seems like the smarter idea to come to america.  Armando's english is perfect, like PERFECTION!  Kenny's has mastered taco bell spanish, so far.  They can both work in the states, but I cannot imagine what type of job Kenny can get when he can't speak the language and doesn't want to eat the food.  I can understand their concerns about Hannah, but she is four years old, isn't that a perfect age to teach kids another language?  And I think she'd make friends because at four years old I think kids just like making friends and she would have Kenny's grandson to play with.  

They are moving like two hours away from Armando's family.  How often are they really going to do a four hour car ride to visit his family?  I suspect it won't be more often than they could just drive down to Mexico, especially if they settled in a border town (of course, Kenny's grandson might not be there).  I think the dollar still goes farther in Mexico so they could probably send money back home if they are both able to work.  If Armando opens up a dog grooming place, I think he'd be fairly flexible and I think Kenny's job was pretty flexible too so they could care for Hannah AND both work.  

• Love 6
21 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Although Ari's mother is Catholic, her father is Jewish and I think she identifies as a Jew.                                                            

Ari most definitely identifies as being Jewish; hence why she wears the Star of David as a pendant on her necklace.  And, let's not forget the way she freaked out when Bini's sisters mentioned wanting the baby to be baptized a Christian. 

Edited by Adeejay
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, RealReality said:

It really seems like the smarter idea to come to america.  

Current wait time for LEGAL immigration to USA from Mexico - minimum of 5 years.

Current wait time for LEGAL immigration to Mexico from USA - as long as it takes to drive across the border.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4

OMG! I just freakin can't with Ari!! I was 17 when I had my first, my mother wasn't even in the same town and my husband was at work and had to wait to have another guy come in so he could come to the hospital, by that time I had the baby by myself, naturally, and lived through it! I washed cloth diapers in the sink and hung them on the line to dry outside, even in the cold winter. Why is she so bloody old and still so damn needy?? Why does she need her Mother holding her hand through life? My God girl, grow the freak up already and be an adult woman! You are going to have a child to raise, who should be raised by a sane and independant adult not a blubbering child! And I agree-stop calling your boyfriend BABY!!! He hasn't been anybody's baby for many years now, he is a grown man! She drives me crazy-obviously!

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
8 hours ago, Grifter Lives said:

Exactly!  His sister is a friend and neighbor of Brittany's sister.  They live in the same apartment building.  According to Brittany, she met Yazan online because he was Skyping with his sister when she walked into the room while she was visiting her sister in Chicago.  The sister may already know Brittany's backstory, or could easily find out more, since Brittany's so obvious and probably let her past slip out a more than once.  She's open about her relationships - abusive marriage, sugar daddies, et al.

However, while in Chicago, Brittany has yet to mention her sister, wanting to see her sister, her sister's baby, or her soon-to-be sister-in-law.  They weren't the welcoming committee at the airport and they don't seem to be on the trip itinerary.  Similarly, Yazan and his family didn't seem to capitalize on Brittany's proximity to his sister.  They should be all over the opportunity, if they believe that Brittany is really going to marry Yazan.

Check out the partial next week’s episode available on demand.

5 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Unpopular opinion , but I didn’t think Kenny acted badly in this episode . He was respectful And didn’t say a bad word about Armando’s family . Yes , maybe he expected too much acceptance right away , but it was just a very awkward situation . Everyone was respectful but no one was speaking at all even to each other . Kenny just looked like he felt uncomfortable which I can’t blame him for . 

They were also all being filmed which would be unusual in a small rural town.  I could see them not wanting to say anything stupid that might end up a meme.

• Love 4
On 10/12/2020 at 11:34 AM, Back Atcha said:

I didn't watch when Jenny stayed/befriended them...but was SHE playing them...or playing along with Sumit's lies--to his parents and to her?  Gobble-neck chin.  OUCH!😕  I'm eighty, and my neck, chin, face and everything below have suffered the ravages of time.   I'm still here; happy and healthy.   Jenny looks good and is trying to make the best of a bad situation.

We are all very fortunate if we live long enough to have gobble-neck chin! Everybody ages, we are all going to look like that when we get old, so what's the big deal? Can't do anything about it so why knock someone who has it? Just be happy to be alive!

• Love 5

What I found particularly galling about Kenny was when he said to Armando, "I just wish that I could like, just talk to your mom...." The way he said it was as if he was going to straighten her out or something. Like he has this wisdom that he could impart and she would immediately begin jumping for joy. The arrogance.

Kenny takes everything personally, which is infuriating. Armando's issues with telling his parents would exist with anyone he was dating. Kenny gets upset and whines that being unwilling to wear the ring there or announce the engagement, "is like he's hiding me." It's not about you, Kenny. Armando was definitely not comfortable making that announcement and felt silent pressure from Kenny to say it. The father's reaction was huge, in my book. He could have refused to come out but he did and was cordial and then went back inside. Of course, Kenny, being incapable of understanding others' points of view saw nothing in that introduction other than offense. He's a very high maintenance guy who expects everything to conform to his wants or he gets upset and begins whining or is insulting (like he was at the candy cart and the restaurant in earlier episodes).

I would imagine that the maintenance of those expensive cars in Ethiopia would be off the charts too if the car needed parts that were not readily available. Ari is becoming impossible and Bimi can't wait to get out of the house. When he was telling her that he is going to be gone a lot working, I bet he was thinking that he can't wait to get away from her. I could see being driven crazy if every single thing was being compared to life elsewhere: Oh this car would cost X in America, Oh, apartments with fancy amenities cost X in America. Shut up already.

I don't know what to say about Brittany except that she's playing a very dangerous game that clearly may put Yazan in harm's way.  

I think a lot of the reason for the major culture clashes in this particular program is because in the other shows, when the foreign spouse comes here, for the most part it's like whatever, do what you want, wear what you want, eat what you want, go for whatever job you want, etc. Those same type of people who are used to essentially no limits or boundaries, take that personality to other countries that have very strict cultural norms and expectations and  think, "Fuck this, I can do whatever I want." They have zero respect or consideration for others. Kenny went to Mexico and expected that Armando could just tell his parents and it would be all easy peasy. Brittany went to Jordan with the same attitude of, "I don't have to live by your customs, I can do whatever I want." It's an ignorance of other cultures that really makes Americans look terrible at times.

• Love 15
On 10/12/2020 at 1:00 PM, nutella fitzgerald said:

When Kenny was sitting with Armando’s family, smiling awkwardly, understanding none of the conversation, and having forced his own cultural mores on his partner, I found myself wondering if Mexican viewers of this show see him as their version of Mursel.

And even though I’ve watched four seasons of Angela’s horrible behavior, I was still appalled when Jenny clucked and preened about her health being better than Sumit’s parents’. I know where she was coming from, trying to refute the argument that taking care of her would be a drain on Sumit’s resources, but it came off to me as even more disrespectful than she usually is. 

I agree with what you said about Jenny saying she was healthier than his parents. She may be healthy today, but you just never know what tomorrow will bring!

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, RealReality said:

This is what annoys me about Brittney.  She is such a famewhore that she will gladly trade Yazan's life for her 15 minutes of fame.  All the time with that silly ass smile on her face after she pretend cries for a few minutes.  

I think she is the very worst this season, because she will parade around and play victim and act like she never knew that her marriage could get Yazan killed.  But there is a reason she isn't telling anyone about it and its because she is likely worried that she will get killed.  But she can get on a plane and leave and he has to deal with family estrangement and being an outcast.

She NEVER planned to stay in Jordan.  She has only begrudgingly covered her tits, ass and 30 inch yaki weave hair.  Say what you will about Avery, but she threw herself into Omar's culture at least 90%  Brittney showed up there and immediately wanted to break every single culture rule and norm.  She is going to dictate rules to an entire country?  She can't get rid of the serious artistic ass shaking and twerking she does on social media?  

So, I don't believe the story that Brittney is going to try to sell, which is that she was really prepared to live in Jordan but Yazan and his family drove her away.  Bullshit.  She is playing with a man's life because she wants to be on television and isn't pretty enough to be a video vixen or date an NBA player.  

Testify!!!!!

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, mittsigirl said:

We are all very fortunate if we live long enough to have gobble-neck chin! Everybody ages, we are all going to look like that when we get old, so what's the big deal? Can't do anything about it so why knock someone who has it? Just be happy to be alive!

Yes getting old is better than the alternative.

37 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

"is like he's hiding me.

Kenny is on the fabulous side. Maybe Armando would prefer someone a little more subdued.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, magemaud said:

Viewers never saw that first visit when Jenny's supposed dream to travel to India (which was actually to meet Sumit) ended up with her freeloading off his family for several months. We only "met" Jenny when she was going back again after Sumit rekindled their forbidden relationship but he neglected to tell her that he was in an arranged marriage. Meanwhile, Jenny had emptied her 401K, took lower early Social Security benefits and sold everything, (including her CAR!) to start life with Sumit in India. 

I will always bet my last dollar that Jenny knew that Sumit was married when she went to to India on trip #2 (first TOW) . 

18 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Current wait time for LEGAL immigration to USA from Mexico - minimum of 5 years.

Current wait time for LEGAL immigration to Mexico from USA - as long as it takes to drive across the border.

Is that on a K-1?  Is it because Mexico is on the no no list?  What is the wait time for say someone from England or Sweden on a K-1 visa?

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, greekmom said:

I will always bet my last dollar that Jenny knew that Sumit was married when she went to to India on trip #2 (first TOW) . 

I’m with you on this one. Sumit cried about how he really made an effort during the first year of his marriage...so did Jenny not wonder where her boyfriend was for that entire year? Or if Sumit was lying about that (because he lies about everything), once his wife moved in, phone calls/video chats had to become less frequent. Jenny is dumb but she’s also emotionally needy so I’m sure she would pick up on that.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, mittsigirl said:

OMG! I just freakin can't with Ari!! I was 17 when I had my first, my mother wasn't even in the same town and my husband was at work and had to wait to have another guy come in so he could come to the hospital, by that time I had the baby by myself, naturally, and lived through it! I washed cloth diapers in the sink and hung them on the line to dry outside, even in the cold winter. Why is she so bloody old and still so damn needy?? Why does she need her Mother holding her hand through life? My God girl, grow the freak up already and be an adult woman! You are going to have a child to raise, who should be raised by a sane and independant adult not a blubbering child! And I agree-stop calling your boyfriend BABY!!! He hasn't been anybody's baby for many years now, he is a grown man! She drives me crazy-obviously!

And the doctors. When she started wingeing at the appointment, the doctor was, like, no, no, no. Do not start that.

• Love 4

I don't know, when my doctor told me I was going to have to have a C-Section the first words out of my mouth were "I want my mother" - and I was 38 and she was in the hospital cafeteria eating dinner.  Giving birth is scary enough when you are in familiar (i.e., US hospitals) surroundings; I can't imagine giving birth in a foreign country for the first time.  Yes, Ari is an emotional basket case, but I give grace in this circumstance.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

I don't know, when my doctor told me I was going to have to have a C-Section the first words out of my mouth were "I want my mother" - and I was 38 and she was in the hospital cafeteria eating dinner.  Giving birth is scary enough when you are in familiar (i.e., US hospitals) surroundings; I can't imagine giving birth in a foreign country for the first time.  Yes, Ari is an emotional basket case, but I give grace in this circumstance.

Hope your mom got to finish her dinner!! You are right, you want your mom. BUT, if we go back to the beginning of this season, Ari was very proud of the fact that she was going to go to ETHIOPIA to have her baby. She knew her mom was only staying for a short time and that she was going to stay to have her baby in ETHIOPIA! (It obviously irritates me the way she says Ethiopia.) At her age, if she didn't realize she was going to be basically alone when she had her baby, that is really sad. 

Edited by lilysmom
  • Love 7
43 minutes ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

I’m with you on this one. Sumit cried about how he really made an effort during the first year of his marriage...so did Jenny not wonder where her boyfriend was for that entire year?

"Oh, THAT Jenny?" IIRC, after Jenny returned to the US after the first trip when Sumit's parents forced them to break up, he was incommunicado for a couple of years then reached out to her again out of the blue and they resumed contact. He must have been married at the time, but still wanted to bring her to India and set her up as his "sidekick" (as Jenny said.) He kept making excuses why she couldn't see his parents. Maybe he didn't tell her about that pesky issue of having a wife. Or maybe he did but she forgot like Darcey did when Georgi told her he was married. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

Is that on a K-1?  Is it because Mexico is on the no no list?  What is the wait time for say someone from England or Sweden on a K-1 visa?

If you google something like "Wait times for visas to legal immigrate to USA," you'll find lots of statistics.  I believe Mexico has the largest quota available, but also has the largest number of people applying.  

On 10/13/2020 at 4:52 PM, RealReality said:

Avery converted to Islam and then went on a dating site to find a Muslim man.  She was serious.  Brittany isn't serious at all.  She just wants to get more Instagram followers.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 12
51 minutes ago, lilysmom said:

Hope your mom got to finish her dinner!! You are right, you want your mom. BUT, if we go back to the beginning of this season, Ari was very proud of the fact that she was going to go to ETHIOPIA to have her baby. She knew her mom was only staying for a short time and that she was going to stay to have her baby in ETHIOPIA! (It obviously irritates me the way she says Ethiopia.) At her age, if she didn't realize she was going to be basically alone when she had her baby, that is really sad. 

The plan was for her parents to be there but because the amniotic fluid is low they moved up the delivery date.

40 minutes ago, magemaud said:

and set her up as his "sidekick" (as Jenny said.)

It is less blunt than sidepiece.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, MrBuhBye said:

It was the Super Bowl!  And isn’t it obvious that the Silva sisters eat breathe and live ESPN?

It was the Super Bowl but nobody thinks they actually went to the game, Darcey went to party (don't a ton of hookers show up in whatever town the game is being played in?), did she go to meet up with Georgi after meeting on line or did they meet there by chance? Either way Darcey was probably unaware that there was a football game going on.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, lilysmom said:

Nope, she left it sitting on the table - gosh I wish I could talk to her now!

Please don't get me wrong, Ari is SOOOOO annoying - but she was not expecting this emergency situation and I think her parents were scheduled to come before or at the time she was due, which apparently is a week from now (TV time) (and now I read that somebody has already addressed this so sorry!). 

Girl, we are all basically alone when we have babies, aren't we?  God bless you women who have men who are super helpful!  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I don't, lol.  She deliberately decided to have a baby in a 3rd world country, so that's on her.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, RoxiP said:

Nope, she left it sitting on the table - gosh I wish I could talk to her now!

Please don't get me wrong, Ari is SOOOOO annoying - but she was not expecting this emergency situation and I think her parents were scheduled to come before or at the time she was due, which apparently is a week from now (TV time) (and now I read that somebody has already addressed this so sorry!). 

Girl, we are all basically alone when we have babies, aren't we?  God bless you women who have men who are super helpful!  

Miss my mom, too.

I guess I am comparing her decision to when we used to go to Disney World with the kids. The planning and anticipation of going there was so exciting, compared to the reality of standing in line for hours, having your toes stepped, hearing the kids whining that they really wanted to go back to the hotel to swim, etc., etc. That's the way I see her situation. I do feel bad that she feels alone.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
On 10/13/2020 at 11:10 AM, Kid said:

Amen, Back Atcha!

What always amazes me is that people who are constantly labeling other people as bigots fail to see the bigotry in themselves and their total lack of tolerance for views that differ from theirs.   And, in this case, Kenny falls into that category. This is a culture. Armando is stuck in the culture. He is trying the best he can to live authentically.  He is not trying to change the world. But that is how the world IS changed by one person courageously living his life at a time.  And he is trying to do it with kindness and with love with regard to his family. And that is ultimately how they will be won over. Change takes time. Shoving change down someone’s throat generally never works. And Kenny, who is a sanctimonious ass, is showing total disrespect toward his partner and his partner’s family.  He is making it more difficult for Armando not easier.

Thank you! Change DOES take time, and when you're dealing with someone from another culture, who grew up in another time and belong to a religion that's not been historically accepting, it's not something that can just happen overnight. We can choose to immediately label each other as "bigots" and cut them off or we can encourage communication and change. And some people ARE bigots and will never be accepting. I still think it's worth it to try, though. Change has to start somewhere.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, greekmom said:

The only real benefit of coming over from England on the k-1 (opposed to coming from other countries) was the lack of language barrier. We didn't have to pay anyone to translate the paperwork (which can run high) and it made the process a lot easier. We thought it would go faster because he's from the UK, but it didn't. Your criminal record, physical exam, relationship history, etc has a lot to do with the timeframe but, really, sooo much has to do with your regional USCIS office and how backed up they are. 

• Love 2
On 10/13/2020 at 12:27 PM, mightysparrow said:

I've always believed that if you have to travel 1000s of miles from home to get a man/woman...you're a LOSER.  This show is proof positive.

I'm an American married to a Brit. We met 1000s of miles from home when we were living in the same flat getting our MAs. We've been together for 15 years, have 3 (2 living, 1 deceased) beautiful children, and both have successful careers. I wouldn't call either one of us "losers." There's a difference between meeting and falling in love with a foreigner and "having" to go to another country because you CAN'T find a partner here. David/Annie=met and cultivated a relationship while he was living abroad vs David/Lana=creepy and a little disturbing and probably couldn't find someone here if he tried. 

• Love 14
4 hours ago, HelloOutThere said:

Raise your hand if you wouldn’t mind if in the next episode, while Ari is FREAKING out on the delivery room table, a nurse just slapped her right firm across the face to calm her down??? (No injuries, of course.) 🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️

She is annoying and she reminds me of Mrs. Shrek, and I’ll leave the subject of Ari there. 

I am a half Mexican gay man. I found the scene with Armando’s family to be one of the most realistic portrayals about a very real part of gay life for many man. Coming out is a super intense process, and in many cases takes family time to come around. Doesn’t mean they won’t. Just means it takes time. Baby steps. In those cases, it’s SUPER awkward at first. Like we saw. The fact that it was filmed made it so much more uncomfortable. That poor family. And Kenny is perhaps the worst type of gay personality to have to integrate with a traditional family like Armando’s. Lots of work to be done, and it will take a long time. Time Kenny does not have the patience for. I find him dramatic and overbearing.

On that note - What was an awkward moment due to the fact that they are still working through accepting their son who previously married a woman’s sexual orientation, plus the cameras, plus the dad likely worked his ass off that day = just an overwhelming moment for all involved. Which got translated into “real bad energy” or whatever Kenny described it as. I found that quite rude. It’s like, dude you are kind of an airhead (I think Armando is by FAR the most intelligent of the pair) and can’t be bothered to learn a LICK of Spanish, and don’t know up from freaking down, and it’s the dad who has “bad energy”?? DRAMATIC.

Great real scene with Sumit and his family! Every once in a while TLC still brings some raw realness and it makes me feel a little bit better about still paying out the nose for cable.

Thanks for the perspective.  Its certainly not up to me, a straight woman, to be dismissive of Kenny's feelings of hurt and bigotry.  But I do find Kenny to be kinda self-centered.  Like, yes, he SHOULD have learned spanish, but thinking of someone else doesn't always  very naturally to him.  How often had he and Armando talked about marriage and a timeline?  It was a beautiful moment, but I wonder if the dazzle and sparkle of it was for Kenny, particularly since only his family was there.  Had we asked Armando later, might he have preferred to come out to his family first, get them on board a little and maybe had a few of them there for the engagement?

Kenny selflessly helped to raise his grandson and has a great relationship with his children which means that he likely isn't always self-absorbed.  So any of this behavior is probably completely unintentional on his part.  He may think that his timelines and expectations are also the best thing for Armando.

But yeah, I agree, as an outsider looking in and with an objective eye I think there was a lot going on with everyone.  My hope is that Kenny watches this season and sees some of his behaviors.  He seems like a flawed, but overall nice and good human being who reeled in an absolute catch - and so I think he will be a little mortified, which I think is a good thing.  The unsalvageable cast members are the ones who watch their season and immediately jump to defensive justification for their behavior without any introspection. 

• Love 8

I'm throwing this out there. To people who complain that Kenny doesn't know the language and should have learned it by now I say what for? I don't think Kenny was planning to move to Mexico permanently and is only doing this for the show.  Personally I think the plan is for Armando and his daughter to move back to Florida with him. 

While it would have been beneficial for him to speak Spanish so he can communicate with Hannah and Armando's family, he has no intentions (despite his tears of him missing his family) to stay there forever.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I wonder if part of Kenny’s challenge (I won’t call it a problem) with the situation is that he has been “the dad” for so long.  He was the patriarch in his family.   Now he is dealing with another patriarch.   This one is from a different culture and is the head of the family Armando grew up in.  

I wonder if he just isn’t used to not being the voice of authority?    But Armando isn’t a child, and definitely not one of his.    Kenny has got to get used to sharing the power or this isn’t going to last.   Especially when you factor in Armando’s daughter.   It is clear Kenny loves her, but he is also going to have to deal with Armando being the primary parent and decision maker with regard to her.  I’m basing this on zero direct evidence, but given that Kenny has raised 4 daughters, I am sure he will have strong opinions on the raising of a daughter (just as he had strong opinions on Armando telling his family they were engaged rather than just introducing them and giving the family time to get to know Kenny - much as what usually happens in families meeting a significant other for the first time), rather than taking his cue from Armando.   

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, HelloOutThere said:

I am a half Mexican gay man. I found the scene with Armando’s family to be one of the most realistic portrayals about a very real part of gay life for many man. Coming out is a super intense process, and in many cases takes family time to come around. Doesn’t mean they won’t. Just means it takes time. Baby steps. In those cases, it’s SUPER awkward at first. Like we saw. The fact that it was filmed made it so much more uncomfortable. That poor family. And Kenny is perhaps the worst type of gay personality to have to integrate with a traditional family like Armando’s. Lots of work to be done, and it will take a long time. Time Kenny does not have the patience for. I find him dramatic and overbearing.

On that note - What was an awkward moment due to the fact that they are still working through accepting their son who previously married a woman’s sexual orientation, plus the cameras, plus the dad likely worked his ass off that day = just an overwhelming moment for all involved. Which got translated into “real bad energy” or whatever Kenny described it as. I found that quite rude. It’s like, dude you are kind of an airhead (I think Armando is by FAR the most intelligent of the pair) and can’t be bothered to learn a LICK of Spanish, and don’t know up from freaking down, and it’s the dad who has “bad energy”?? DRAMATIC.

I wish I could like this 25 times so it would go to pink RIGHT NOW.

2 hours ago, greekmom said:

I'm throwing this out there. To people who complain that Kenny doesn't know the language and should have learned it by now I say what for? I don't think Kenny was planning to move to Mexico permanently and is only doing this for the show.  Personally I think the plan is for Armando and his daughter to move back to Florida with him. 

While it would have been beneficial for him to speak Spanish so he can communicate with Hannah and Armando's family, he has no intentions (despite his tears of him missing his family) to stay there forever.

Kenny needs to get a dose of reality.  It doesn't MATTER what HIS plans are for Armando and Hannah.  There are laws limiting immigration to the US, and there are waiting lists.  Every one of the 90-Day Fiance couples have had to wait for their visa to be approved, but we don't see them on the show until they're close to the top of the list.  The list for legal immigration from Mexico is LONG.  Anyone with google can find out approximate wait times from each country.  

I live in Arizona; Kenny is from Florida.  Both states have a large population of Spanish-speaking people, authentic restaurants, etc.  You have to work hard here NOT to be exposed to the Spanish language and pick up a few words.  To be involved with people on a daily basis (even in the workplace) almost makes it easy to absorb some of the language and culture . . . and by expressing an interest in their culture or language is a great bonding opportunity.  Intentionally or not, Kenny comes across as a person who can't be bothered to make any effort that is outside his interest in doing so.

• Love 11

Kenny is annoying, has little respect for Armando and Mexican culture and is extremely untouched by all the other cultures around him in Florida. But I have had acquaintances just as under-exposed. 

In college, in California which has innumerable clusters of different cultures, religions, restaurants, events, etc... she was so overwhelmed by how easy it was to work on our project together that she apologized to me for being “the only Black friend I have ever had. Also the only Black person I have ever known personally.” She was not a fresh eyed freshman but in her thirties somewhat.

There are communities where houses cannot be sold to anyone outside of the families who originally live there. They are just regular houses of your white picket fence variety, not sprawling estates. They are white communities and maybe a sprinkling of Mexican families... So, even in the 21st century, it is easy to be underexposed.

Edited by ethalfrida
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Kenny needs to get a dose of reality.  It doesn't MATTER what HIS plans are for Armando and Hannah.  There are laws limiting immigration to the US, and there are waiting lists.  Every one of the 90-Day Fiance couples have had to wait for their visa to be approved, but we don't see them on the show until they're close to the top of the list.  The list for legal immigration from Mexico is LONG.  Anyone with google can find out approximate wait times from each country.  

I

Very true. But how many of these in the two seasons actually stayed in the Other Way country? I only know of one.

1 minute ago, greekmom said:

Very true. But how many of these in the two seasons actually stayed in the Other Way country? I only know of one.

My comment should have left out any reference to Kenny if we're GUESSING what his plans are.  We don't KNOW that he and Armando are expecting Armando and Hannah to move to Florida ASAP.  In fact, Armando has said that he wants to stay in Mexico for Hannah's benefit.  (That's rare on this show in and of itself.  Most of these parents couldn't care less about what would benefit their kids.)  So it seems that Kenny has always assumed that he was going to move to Mexico.  Which makes his choice to avoid learning the language or customs even more egregious.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, RealReality said:

Thanks for the perspective.  Its certainly not up to me, a straight woman, to be dismissive of Kenny's feelings of hurt and bigotry.  But I do find Kenny to be kinda self-centered.  Like, yes, he SHOULD have learned spanish, but thinking of someone else doesn't always  very naturally to him.  How often had he and Armando talked about marriage and a timeline?  It was a beautiful moment, but I wonder if the dazzle and sparkle of it was for Kenny, particularly since only his family was there.  Had we asked Armando later, might he have preferred to come out to his family first, get them on board a little and maybe had a few of them there for the engagement?

Kenny selflessly helped to raise his grandson and has a great relationship with his children which means that he likely isn't always self-absorbed.  So any of this behavior is probably completely unintentional on his part.  He may think that his timelines and expectations are also the best thing for Armando.

But yeah, I agree, as an outsider looking in and with an objective eye I think there was a lot going on with everyone.  My hope is that Kenny watches this season and sees some of his behaviors.  He seems like a flawed, but overall nice and good human being who reeled in an absolute catch - and so I think he will be a little mortified, which I think is a good thing.  The unsalvageable cast members are the ones who watch their season and immediately jump to defensive justification for their behavior without any introspection. 

I have mixed feelings about Kenny but to give him the benefit of the doubt I think he put his romantic life on the back burner for decades while raising the kids and grandkid and now he feels like it is his turn to focus on his own needs.   And he may also feel like time is quickly running out for him.  But what he doesn’t get is that neither Armando nor Armando’s family was responsible for that choice to defer his personal life and don’t have to snap to his self-imposed hurried timeline.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

(That's rare on this show in and of itself.  Most of these parents couldn't care less about what would benefit their kids.) 

I would agree and I would include Avery as one who actually thought of her own kids and Ash's son's needs as well.  Your comment was on Armando and I agree he is very supportive of Hannah.  I do question Kenny on his lack of Spanish - don't you want to talk to your stepdaughter?

• Love 3

I wasn't watching this show the other times Jenny was on, but I heard about her backstory. I'm still trying to understand how she can be so hard up for love that she would marry her catfish AND travel to the other side of the planet to do so. I mean, there are plenty of men of color here, many of whom make better-than-average money, who'll happily marry any white woman regardless of her age, size, personality, or IQ. (Substitute "Angela" and "Lisa" for "Jenny"...same thing...)

Brittany is a terrible person for many reasons, among them the fact that she didn't hook her mom up with the name of her wig supplier.

I really wanted to like Kenny, but his lack of consideration for Armando's situation is intolerable. Also, if Deavan of all people can get it together enough to use a translation app, why can't he? How old is he again?

Bini and Ari prove once again that vacation hookups do not a relationship make. And yes, I understand that having a baby is a major life event, but Ari CHOSE to have her baby thousands of miles away from any support. If she couldn't figure out the ramifications of that decision in the Internet-enabled 21st Century, she should have kept her simple ass in Princeton. How old is she again?

I truly couldn't care less about Cheesedick or Melyza. They are both boring as hell.

Edited by ExMathMajor
  • Love 11

The Other Way is back! My thoughts on this week’s recent episode:

Brittany and Yazan: Dang, she is so disrespectful playing stupid kid games which has consequences for him and possibly his family, even death. This relationship is ridiculous. She is only in it to boost her social media. Once Yazan finds out, he’ll be like “F*** the Brittany!” Things will get WILD...

Jenny and Submit: He's a grown man.  This is a terrible thing to do your child; to not allow him to marry.  So in India I guess it doesn't matter how old you are... if your parents don't give you permission to marry, it ain't gonna happen.

Cheesedick Tim and Melyza: If I were Tim, I’d have got rid of Melyza ages ago. Even though he dipped his chip in some other girl’s dip, he’s admitted it, told her, she’s given him a hard time - fair enough. But it turns out she’s been sleeping around too. Hypocrite. 

Honestly, I believe she may be in it for the fame, or another reason besides being with him,and Tim is clinging on trying to make something work when she has already decided it won't. He should just come back home to Texas because the only thing keeping them around each other is the show, and notoriety for being on it...

Ari and Biniyam: He is trying so hard to please her, but she just judges everything based on US standards all the time. Moving across the world you have to kind of adjust expectations and change mentality. Unless you are filthy rich from the start and can purchase the standard you want, but most aren't. 

I do feel bad for her though going into it with the wrong expectations or thoughts of it, it is hard. But ... meh.

As for the apartment, it’s fine, but the price of old cars there is outrageous. I still found Ari to be insufferable. You know he needs to work to get money to care for you and the baby but you complain that he won’t be home to help with the baby. GROW UP! 

• Love 5